Tuesday Morning H-Back

It's a quick turnaround as the coaches and players prepare to bolt today, so I'm going to make this snappy. We can discuss it more during the day. (I was one of the lucky ones whose car was not burned in the parking lot; that's a plus.)

Overall, I didn't think this game was nearly as big as some coaches and others were making it out to be, win or lose. The Skins are 6-3 at the bye, which is better than expected, and this was a loss to an AFC team that shouldn't matter much other than perhaps as a common-opponent tiebreaker.

If the Skins beat the poor teams left on their schedule - Seattle, San Fran, Cincy - and manage to win one or two against some of the rivalry/ultra-physical games left - Gmen, Cowboys, Eagles and Ravens - then they will be right there at the end.

I do wonder, though, if this game becomes a template for Philly, the Giants and Ravens in particular to copy, and I do know this - if the Redskins can't protect better by scheme or by individual matchup, there are going to be more sacks, turnovers and injuries. That can't happen again, and they were lucky Campbell didn't get seriously injured. He was hung out to dry.

In general the game went kind of the way I suspected, with the Pittsburgh pass rush dominating. I was surprised by how many Steelers fans were there - they took over the lower bowl - and by how often Jim Zorn wanted to spread the field. I was also stunned that he abandoned the run, since I figured it was their best weapon in pass protection and to win the game, even if it wasn't going to be a sexy way to win. (Portis was a solid enough 9 for 36 at the half, but Zorn seemed to overreact to falling behind 16-6 in ways he had not overreacted against lesser defenses.)

It seemed like the oddest time possible - against that fire zone - to try to re-establish his West Coast roots, going four wide on six of the first 12 plays of the game.

The Skins have done nice things throwing out of two tight-end sets, and the I formation this season, but Zorn got away from that for the most part. Even late, with Campbell getting crushed and the game out of reach, he kept going four wide for a garbage TD, seemingly risking injury in the process.

At this point they don't have the personnel to go four wide that much; James Thrash is nearing the end and Devin Thomas is still clueless at times (he cut off his route erroneously on that second interception, which, again, wont endear him to the quarterbacks). Put Malcolm Kelly on injured reserve and get a veteran WR. They don't have the luxury of anything else unless this kid's knee is now somehow 100 percent.

The Skins now have five TDs in four games - not nearly good enough - and I need to see more big plays and turnovers from the defense (but Demetric Evans was a stud again on the edge and especially rushing the passer as a tackle in the nickel package. If they play Jason Taylor ahead of him, I think they're asking for trouble. Demetric is better than he is at this stage of his career and with the injury problems).

The Skins got killed on third down on both sides of the ball - how can Byron Leftwich kill you on third and long time after time? - and to me the bomb to start the second half was the biggest play of the game (with Rogers's dropped pick-six right up there, too).

I told anyone sitting near me in the press box that if the Steelers got up on the first drive of the second half, Campbell would be in real trouble. The Steelers would really tee off on him with the lead, and Zorn would likely throw the ball way too much, leaving him very vulnerable. That's how it played out, too, at 16-6 and beyond.

The template for an ugly Skins win was there, though. Last week against Pittsburgh, the Giants ran 30some times, getting multiple backs involved, working the clock, protecting with two tight ends, trying to counterpunch the Steelers rather than getting in poor down and distance situations. Instead, the Skins went the spread formation route, which also can work, but generally does do at a price. Just ask Donovan McNabb how he felt after beating Pittsburgh in Week 3, and how long it took him to feel right again.

...

Steinberg has a classic Blachism this morning, along with some other memorable verbage. ... Cindy Boren chats at 11 today, followed by Mike Wilbon at 1:15.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 4, 2008; 6:28 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins Lose, Go into Bye Week at 6-3
Next: Steelers Fans Forced Silent Count

Comments

First?
8-8

Posted by: eleysium | November 4, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Why was John Jansen allowed to continue playing in that game?

Posted by: markhorn | November 4, 2008 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, JLC, your dad on with the basic breakdown here. I agree that Zorn should have stayed with the run better, but I also wonder if seeing Portis get up limping time and time again had a little something to do with that.

I think the Betts injury played a huge role in this game too. Portis, along with a lot of other players are just plain worn out, beat up, and a little too ready for the bye.

Steelers' D was incredible, and the Skins are just not ready offensively to handle this type of game.

As far as other teams useing the "blueprint" from this game against them, I think that's unlikely. The Steelers present a number of things that no other team does. There combination of size and speed at the linebacker position is unmatched anywhere else in the NFL.

This will server as another lesson for Zorn to learn from, and with the next two weeks to work on the issues, I thoroughly expect another strong run after the bye.

Keep your heads up Redskins! HTTR!

Posted by: craig2 | November 4, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Are we done with the Jon Jansen should be playing because he run blocks better then Heyer. Heyer needs to start after the buy week Jansen can not pass protect against speed rushers.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Lets go back to white jerseys, burgundy pants, and white shoes. I am not saying we lost because of the all burgundy, but what the hell? Disgusted by how many Steelers fans were there, how does this happen? I thought I was at a Caps-Penguins game at the old Cap Centre. Does anybody else hate FED-EX field? No charm, just one big bowl.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | November 4, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

It's actually very simple. We were beaten soundly by a better team. The Skins were outcoached. The Steelers had a stronger desire to win. The Steelers have better players.

For 13 days the Skins coaches need to focus on a better game plan than the one they came up with last night.

Let's get our injured guys back and BEAT THE COWGIRLS!

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

If nothing else this game exposed the serious flaws that the Redskins have:

1. After Moss there is NO credible wide receiver. Where was Thomas? If Moss is not healthy for the last seven games then we have little choice but to hope the offensive line can run block.
2. When Samuels is hurt we have big, big problems on the offensive line. Jansen looked just foolish in his blocking attempts tonight. We had NO short yardage threats tonight. We could not make a third and one with our much ballyhooed offensive line. If you disagree then why did Zorn resort to bootleg plays and trying to pass to Alexander when it was less than one yard to go? Because our line was getting stuffed all night.
3. Without the blitz we have no pass rush.
Our defense held up well for half the night. In the first half it gave the offensive lots of chances to show they could contribute. Rogers dropping the interception was bad, real bad. The difference between what the Steeler's defense is and what ours is showed last night--Campbell was abused on every pass attempt, while our rush did nothing in the second half.

4. We really do need Betts back. Portis was physically not up to challenging the Steelers tonight. Shaun Alexander--not ready for prime time.

5. The rest of the season? We can beat the teams that do not play as hard as the Steelers, but we found our limit last night. It all comes down to beating the Giants and the Eagles, doesn't it? If they beat us--goodbye playoffs. If we win then we capture the division.

Posted by: driley | November 4, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins were 'found out' last night, their weaknesses exposed for all to see. I'm afraid that this game is predictive of many games to come. Best case scenario: 9 wins, 7 losses.

Posted by: AncientTerp | November 4, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: AncientTerp | November 4, 2008 7:47 AM |

I think that is a crazy statement, it has not been the case in the games leading up to this game. We were outplayed by the best team in the AFC, and do not give me Tennesse they have'nt played anyone.

The Skins have some games on the schedule they should win, and some we can win. I still say this team will go 10-6 at worse 11-5 at best and that will get you in the playoffs. There will be three teams from the East in the playoffs and Dallas sucks.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | November 4, 2008; 6:28 AM ET

Dude, get a grip. Yes DE is playing big time in JT's stead, but you can never have too many pass rushers. I would bring JT back slowly (play him on 3rd down and obvious pass situations) and play Demetric in the base 4-3 sets. You can move Evans to DT when JT is in there (I believe one of DE's sacks came with him lined up at tackle) and get your best possible rush. Just because JT isn't healthy doesn't mean he can't play anymore; we honestly can't tell what he's got left in the tank until we see him healthy.

As for last night's game, I think Wise has it wrong in his column. The reason for the loss was that 1) the Skins got the Steelers' best shot since they were pissed at losing to the Giants last week, 2) the Skins didn't take advantage of great field position early in the game, and 3) special teams and defense didn't pick up the slack on a night when we knew going in the offense wasn't going to score much.

That and the hometown Leftwich wasn't gameplanned for and he picked the Skins apart. It's funny to say, but if Big Ben finishes that game the Skins might have at least lost closer if not won outright.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: craig2 | November 4, 2008 7:03 AM

Good point Craig, I missed that point in my long diatribe above. It's not who you play, it's when you play them. I think if the Skins play Pittsburgh 2 weeks earlier or 2 weeks later the outcome is much different.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

ugh, that was U-G-L-Y...all facets of the game. Rogers needs to work on his hands, dangit, for lack of stronger language on the blog, he needs to catch those. Not sure what else can be said, the bye comes at the right time.

Oh, and I'm not sure that Philly, or the Ravens, or the Giants can replicate what the Steelers did. That, and the fact that we've already run all over philly once this year.

That sucked....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

i have to agree with sitting Jansen; he looked foolish. Only bright spot, Horton.

Posted by: NFeKPo | November 4, 2008 8:03 AM | Report abuse

What a tool Wilbon is. I just read his column and posted this under his column. Man, that burns me up!

Hey Wilbon -

Your quote:
"It really gets a little tiresome hearing how great Redskins fans are, only to see fans of the Cowboys or Steelers or Eagles commandeer FedEx Field. Really, they're a very average lot, at best."

"Average"?

Eat me, Wilbon. The Skins have the greatest fans in the world, period. How many games have your precious Bears sold out in a row? The Skins are the most valuable franchise in sports history BECAUSE of their fans. We could sell out a 200,000 seat stadioum every Sunday.

How about giving some credit to the Steelers fans who travelled to the game in enemy territory and paid top dollar for seats to root for their team? Been there, done that in Philly and NY to support the Skins.

I can't believe The Post pays you to write crap like that.
11/4/2008 8:01:11 AM

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Well we see again how much those two WR high draft choices Thomas and Kelly are contributing. But hey.....Dan and Vinnie KNOW football. OLs and DLs don't sell tix. Unfortunately the OL the Skins have can't block the DL on the other side of the ball. So who'll it be come April? Another WR, TE, RB????

Posted by: bundy44 | November 4, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the fact that no other team will be able to duplicate what the Steelers did on defense. No other team has the personel to do it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Jim, you need to stop reading his lies, and his drivel, ever since he blatantly lied about the murder of STaylor, I haven't read him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bundy44 | November 4, 2008 8:09 AM |

There is no offensive lineman we could have drafted that would be starting over the current guys, so your comment makes no sense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

bundy44, go complete grade school, and then come back and post, moron.

up to this game, the Redskins had the #1 rushing attack, and why was that??

Flound, Woodley, and Harrison, threw Jansen and Samuels around like rag dolls, I was incredibly impressed with them both.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

I do wonder, though, if this game becomes a template for Philly

You said that the first time we played them and we won. I can't wait until we kick the Ravens ass to finally shut you the hell up.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 4, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Agreed Samuels did not play much better then Jansen.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

For all the clowns who live to criticize Jason - man up and say he was spot on in this post. Skins are very limited offensively when Moss is hurt, they should've just run, run, run, the stats show its running attempts per game, even at a low average, that is a leading indicator of wins. Who knows, by the 4th quarter we might have broken em down like we have other teams. It does seem Zorn is conscious of protecting Portis, but can someone tell me, why didn't we hand more to Alexander? We really could have used a 1-2 punch last night.

Posted by: DironTalbert | November 4, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Capt. Jim. Anyone who was at the HoF inductions knows better than that remark by Wilbon. The fact of the matter is when you live in a place like Washington where a lot of people there are transplants from other areas, you'll get more fans for the visitors than in say, Pittsburgh or Green Bay. Plus, when you have a stadium that seats 90,000+ fans, getting 15,000 for the visitors isn't THAT bad.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DironTalbert | November 4, 2008 8:22 AM

Because he hasn't played meaningful football in almost 2 years. He's still getting his legs. That's why I wanted this team to put Detroit away early last week so we could bench Portis in the 2nd half and rest him for this game, also giving Alexander some reps to get him in a position to really contribute. My fear is that CP pulls a Stephen Davis and breaks down in December...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 4, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

- Is anyone else re-playing that Rodgers dropped INT over and over in their head?

- I agree Janso teams will study this game, but I don't think they have the players with the same speed rush skill set to be as effective. But we'll see.

- If anyone is argueing we are not weak at WR after Moss than your blind. I am not opening the draft debate, But ARE on down, as of week 9 in this season, are dog crap.

- You can beat on Wilbon all you want and I am sure (not going to read it) that he was bombastic to the point of buffoonary, but as a fan if you weren't sickened by the amount of Steelers fans there and concerned that Snyder's $$ first mentality (seat anywhere, deal with stub hub) has cut the nutz off our homefield, well I your a better man than I.....

- Bottom line is they gotta shake this off. Now the media will dismiss us, good, and we can go back to no attention and start from hardwork.

- Zorn has to play less scared. We should have come out in that game with screens, dumps...stuff to victimize the rush and soften the D for Portis. Than pounded.

- F Shaun Alexander. F all Betts haters.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I've said my piece on Wilbon, guy's a fraud, and a liar.

Zorn laid an egg with some of the play calling last night. I think Blache did as well. When Leftwich got in the game, I was uncertain why he didn't just bring the house EVERY play.

Did Andre Carter play last night?? I thought he'd have a field day with their left tackle, wasn't to be I guess. Same with Laron, I haven't seen him make a play, a real game changing play since the Seattle playoff game,

Horton played a WHALE of a game, wow. That cat is gonna be a player, if he's not already.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

This loss, which we all expected when schedule came out, makes the Rams loss hurt 5X as bad.......

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

hey they are still 6-3. so we lost to a team that played better. the z man has been only trying to win games by a field goal and not put the game away and it has come back to bite them in the butt. playing to put a game away more often makes the team better because they would have done it often enough.

Posted by: rls1041 | November 4, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Lets say one thing not one of the so called experts had this team at 6-3 going into the bye week, pretty much no one on this blog had the Skins 6-3 going into the bye week. I think they can shake this off and come out and put the Cowboys down.

I think Jasno was correct we need to bring in a receiver over the bye week.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

For the record, it was Mr. Thrash, not Mr. Thomas, that cut off his route too early and led to the last interception.
But he made the tackle, so ya got that goin' for ya.

Posted by: daggar | November 4, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"What a tool Wilbon is"
The best thing said in todays paper. Remember Wilbon proclaiming what would kill Sean Taylor before he died?!!

"What a tool Wilbon is"

PTI is nothing but "What a tool Wilbon is"

I love saying "What a tool Wilbon is"

I hope all true Redskins fans know "What a tool Wilbon is"!!!!

Posted by: busdriver420 | November 4, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Stone Finger Rogers drop of an easy TD was the turning point in this game. He couldn't catch a cold in an epidemic. Jansen is a turnstile, send him back to the second string. Additionally, we now see how thin we at WR. Without Moss, we got nothing.

After this ugly loss, how big is the Dallas game in two weeks? My gut says that the loser of this game will not make the playoffs.

Posted by: splitbill | November 4, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Is Heyer still injured???B/c Jansen is the WORST pass blocking OL in the game, he looked horrendous...what the hell was that chop block that he attempted late in the game that the dude just jumped right over him and killed Campbell. Portis did not look bad to start the game, broke off two decent runs early, WHY did we get away from it, makes NO SENSE. Several replays showed open wide receivers, not blaming Campbell - he did have happy feet though from getting slammed to the ground repeatedly. If I was Campbell I would kick Jansen right in the nuts for leaving him destroyed all night, why was there not the typical TE over there to help??? It looked to me on TV that Zorn looked bewildered, lost at times with the hype of the game. I still think is a hell of a coach, but not the game to try out you West Coast offense, when the run was going to open things up for us. We do not have the depth in the WR to go 4 wideouts...sad that Campbell picked up his first pick - but that is all on Portis. IF ROGERS DID NOT HAVE STONE HANDS WE WOULD HAVE WON THAT GAME, HE DROPPED I THINK TWO INT.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 4, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

To sum it up, it all came down to execution. The Pittsburgh defense executed. The Redskins Oline should have been executed.

Posted by: TheCork | November 4, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"- F Shaun Alexander. F all Betts haters.

Posted by: chrislarry"

WTH did Shaun Alexander do? We can cheer for SA and still want Betts. It's not like anyone associated with the Redskins wanted Betts to go down so we could bring in a washed up ex-NFL MVP.

Some points of the game :

Jansen, ugh.

Campbell had an off night.

Carlos kills me, he just kills me.

Demetric Evans showed up and played great.

Portis is gonna break down eventually. He was pretty lucky to avoid an injury last night when Pola-whatever caught him low.

I can't say the D played bad, they played mediocre though. Someone said Smoot played bad, I thought he played good.

I think Pitt is a much more talented team than us.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 4, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't usually comment on FedEx Field because unlike blocking schemes, turnovers and the roster, there ain't much you can do about where you play.

Having said that, is it too early to declare FedEx "outdated," tear it down, renovate RFK and move back there?

It seems that no matter what kind of team the Redskins have -good/bad/indifferent - it's like they have no home field advantage there. I think the 1991 Redskins might struggle at FedEx, it's that bad.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

+++I think Jasno was correct we need to bring in a receiver over the bye week.

Posted by: Flounder21 |+++

Actually, the Redskins needed to bring in a receiver last April during that thing they call The Draft.

Posted by: TheCork | November 4, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michael needs to grow up and learn to respect his elders. Yes, maybe Sam has lost a step commentary wise, but that's no reason for Michael's condescending tone. Sam has forgotten more than Michael will ever know. I'd love to see Sam lay him out.

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru | November 4, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the rant on Wilbon, but that comment burned me up! I missed the Sean Taylor article, what did he say?

What a tool Wilbon is!

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh truth, responding to me now? Where were you all day yesterday when I asked you about UGA?

Keep repping SA......your like the text version of a white noise machine....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

the worst part about this is we'll have two weeks to think about this...it was really disapointing to see so many steelers fans..everytime they did something good on the field the cheers were SO loud, it would make you think they were at home. Also, i think that pass to Nate Washington was the first time we got beat deep... the game vs Dallas is obviously a must-win.

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

sorr...you are like....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Keep repping SA......your like the text version of a white noise machine....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 8:58 AM "

wth are you talking about? I'm not "repping SA", he's past his prime and hasn't done anything for us and won't.

but we picked him up because Betts went down. And if you haven't noticed, I've been for giving the carries to Rock and/or Mike Sellers.

I'm just not ready to say "F Shaun Alexander" right now. He didn't do anything but sign a deal to play football with us.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 4, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Did Zorn give up on the run too early?

I don't think so. Portis only had 13 carries, the Redskins only ran the ball 15 times with 45 pass attempts. Not the balance this offense needs to succeed, but of those 15 rushing plays, 8 were for three yards or less. The Redskins ran 29 plays in the fourth quarter, when the game was already largely out of hand. If one takes away the imbalance of playing "catch-up" in the fourth quarter, the breakdown is 15 of 36 plays were runs, not the run heavy ratio the Redskins have had in recent games, but not an entirely horrible balance either.

Posted by: craig2 | November 4, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Skins are 6-3. This game will fade as soon as they get the next win, against Dallas.

Also, I have a hunch the Eagles are going to rise up and beat the G-Men this weekend, which keeps the Redskins very much in the hunt for the NFC East division title.

No sense in panicking, imho. They played a poor game offensively, Carlos MUST learn to catch the football, and Zorn called a bad game (I'll bet anything he'd give his house and lot to have that tackle-eligible call to Lorenzo Alexander on 4th & Goal back).

I think they'll be fine.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or does Landry look like an average safety standing around not looking to level anyone anymore, he looks tentative at best.

Posted by: joeboggs | November 4, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Turned it off after I saw the skins first drive of the second half. Realized Zorn was not changing his game plan at all and that I would rather get some sleep than watch my team loose in those ugly all red uniforms.

Serioulsly, does Rogers have gloves with silk and felt fingers on them? The boy needs to try playing bair handed because the gloves don't help him.

IR Kelly and lets work out 3-4 WR's who we think could make a impact.

F fans selling tickets to steeler fans, and F letting companies buy tickets, That said even if there were 15,000 steeler fans there, that leaves 75,000+ skins fans there, which is bigger than most NFL stadiums.

Heyer over Jansen, look at campbells # in games Heyer started vs games he was out.

Finally, no more screens and short stuff, you could tell after the first 3drives that this was not a game for YAC and that we needed to put up the yards while the ball was in the air.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I still see the Skins going 11-5 if Moss stays healthy. If not, we will struggle our way into the play-offs. We should have never played Moss last night. He was ineffective last night and playing probably did not improve his hamstring status......more than likely it set him back. I hope Samuels can stay healthy however, Jansen needs to be benched in favor of Heyer after last night. Rest up and get healthy Skins.

1991 3-headed monster:

E.Byner - R.Ervins - G. Riggs

2008 3-headed monster:
Portis - L.Betts - M. Sellers ??

Can we conserve Portis a small bit and give some carries to other people please ?

Posted by: dspinx | November 4, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

somebody needs to throw some footballs at Carlos, that dropped int was the turning point cause right after, our punt was blocked

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru

What did Larry the tool say?

Also, I am sad that SA does not seem to be working out, I look forward to Betts being back, becuase when he was back there you knew that he would fight for extra yards.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Regarding so many Steelers fans at the game last night, that really sucked.

However, according to a guy that called in to 980 this morning, there are a lot of Steelers fan who live in this area.....they relocated here due to job shortage in Pittsburgh. And according to the guys on the Postgame Show last night, the Steelers fan travel everywhere.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 4, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

That is true Pittsburgh and Philly are both losing population.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I hate being right, but the way we played the last 3 weeks prior to this game, you could see this beating coming.

I was optimistic last night, but we are very lucky to be 6-3. Beaten in all phases of the game. No killer instinct.

Im sure its all been said, just need to vent... blah blah blah

Oh well, keep perspective, if we finish above .500 this year, then it would be a success looking at it from May 2008.

Posted by: Zeebs | November 4, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Excuses. Pittsburgh played their entire second half with their best player on the sideline (Roethlisberger). Willie Parker was coming off injury, they were missing their starting Left Tackle, Ryan Clark was missing from the game, every team is beat up at this point in the season.

The Redskins were tossed in almost every aspect of the game. Zorn was far outmatched against Tomlin/Lebeau. They had his number from the beginning. Far too many short routes, abandoned the run too early, and not nearly enough deep shots to stretch the defense.

Don't get me started on the offensive line. Pathetic performance.

Once again, special teams provided a major swing in the game, and I don't know if it was Plackemeier's fault or not, but there were a couple Steelers right at his feet when he punted it, so it could have been him taking too long to punt.

The only part of the team that came to play was the defense, which in my mind played well enough to win. However, there's only so many 3-and-outs that your offense can have before you end up tiring out your defense. And the dropped pick by Rogers could have turned this game in an instant. Still, I won't fully put the blame on the defense, because at some point the offense has to help them out by controlling at least a portion of the clock.

Posted by: psps23 | November 4, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Never again will we see this team in those unies I am guessing. Just like the 75th aniv throwbacks, we lost in them in the debuit and now we should stop using them.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

How many pick 6s has Rogers dropped in his career? I'm starting to lose count. If he holds on and houses it, Skins are up 13-0...
Cornelius Griffin has better hands than that guy!

Posted by: elfreako | November 4, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

John Jansen with 2 broken thumbs has better hands than Rogers.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

the steelers came out with Monday night intensity. we didn't match it on all levels. we will learn and bounce back.

Posted by: luvdc808 | November 4, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs

Teams don't throw anywhere near Landry. That's a testament to his ability, not a knock.

One of the best plays of the game was bringing down Moore in the open field on that ridiculous dump-off when he had 30 yards of open space. Very few players in the league would have been able to do that.

Posted by: psps23 | November 4, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Funny how many Steeler fans were there last night since the economy is doing so bad and everybody is losing their jobs. Guess the steel industry is back paying great wages!

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 4, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I really think there are people here who need to get a grip. Do the Skins have issues? Of course they do.

Are the Skins all of a sudden a terrible team because of this loss? Hell NO!

Can they still put together one hell of a season? OF COURSE THEY CAN!

One game people, and it just so happens that it was against the BEST DEFENSE IN THE NFL, and they were pissed off over losing the two previous games to teams in our division. The Steelers were definitely more ready than the Skins, but it doesn't take away what the Skins have already, and what they CAN do down the stretch.

Posted by: craig2 | November 4, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Everyone staying medium today?

Posted by: CBT2 | November 4, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Also, if Kelly does go to IR, the Skins won't need to work out any WRs, they have two on the practice squad, and have been there all year. One of them will be elevated, and the team will move on.

Thomas is the bigger key I think, after the bye week, the Skins need him to step up and get this offense and become a productive part of this team.

Go Skins!

Posted by: craig2 | November 4, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

craig2 is correct.

Also, it's a non-conference loss. The Redskins are still 5-2 against the NFC. Eagles are 4-3, Dallas 3-4, Chicago 4-3, Green Bay 3-3, Carolina 4-2, Tampa Bay 5-2, and Arizona 3-2.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg has fotos of the car-nage in the parking lot:

Posted by: CindyBoren | November 4, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The team has issues but is not far away from being a dangerous team, we have a hand full of guys who are among the best in the league and will be for the next few years in Portis Moss and Campbell and cooly, and I think that its clear that Vinnys draft plan was for getting "the team" for 2 seasons from now now this season. If we were working to now than we would have probably drafted differently.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Observations from someone who has been watching the skins for 50 years:
1. Go back to gold pants
2. Tell Carlos Rogers to stop trying to catch with his hands on backwards.
3. Put Kelly on IR, bring in a wide reciever.
4. Put shawn Springs on IR, ( he never plays anyway,) and bring in another defensive back.
5. Replace Rock "always up the middle" Cartwright on kick returns.
6. Replace Antwan "fair catch" Randle El on punt returns.
7. Fans, don't panic, we are 6 - 3, anyone of would have taken that at the beginning of the year.
8. Great comment by Blache "...you have to stop saying my bad, and make the play."

Posted by: rmcpks73 | November 4, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

on a happier note... Chris Horton is AWESOME!! :-)

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The 2007 New York Giants were 6-3 after 9 games, their 9th game being a loss at HOME to the Cowboys, 31-20.

They finished the season on top, so let's not panic.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I have been a fan of Zorn's play calling, but what was up with that 4th down call to Lorenzo Alexander??? I don't have any confidence that Alexander can catch the ball even if the pass makes it to him. Maybe 50-50 odds?

Posted by: CBT2 | November 4, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Horton was a beast last night.

When Springs is healthy, the Redskins have one of the best secondaries in the league. I just hope he's back for the Dallas game.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

IT was embarassing for the whole city.. you have these sellout fans selling their tix to opposing fans. I don't want to hear any excuses..it was embarrasing, Mike Wilbon was 100% correct calling our fanbase average. Our coaches got out coached, looked like some of the people were alreay in the bye week..ughhh.

Posted by: rdscnz | November 4, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

As for the uniforms, it was an interesting experiment. I've been watching the team since 1977, and I've never seen burgundy on burgundy.

I think they should stop the single-color approach and go back to white jerseys & burgundy pants at home, and burgundy jerseys & white pants on the road.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I actually liked the unis last night

Posted by: CBT2 | November 4, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think you've all got it wrong guys, the reason you lost is because it was the first Skins game I've watched this season.

On that basis I promise I won't watch any more! Man! that was ugly...

Posted by: Redcoat | November 4, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

They were out coached plain and to the point Dick LeBeau(def.cord.)had Zorn's number from the opening snap,Danny Smith was asleep at the wheel last night Mitch Berger(punter) had two bad hamstrings(as pointed out by the MNF broadcast crew)plus Pitt. had a new snapper the Skins should have had a punt block set up as a momentumn changer not the Steelers up to that point it was a defensive standoff.The Skins need another receiver to complement Moss can anyone say Roy Williams? now with our hated division rival that was a missed oppourtunity. Now!! all is not lost the playoffs are a reality if Zorn smartens up and stays inventive.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 4, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

The punting game sucked. Brooks might not have been better, but definitely not worse.

Posted by: GaDawg | November 4, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Uhhg what a day... We looked awful and to make it worse I voted for a democrat for the first time in my life. What has my life become.

Posted by: Gweez | November 4, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

people, Unis make no difference, is this Football or the Bravo Network (which I love by the way, but lets keep things separated!)

Cindy, how about a story in the wapo about how many steelers fans got tix. It can't ALL be fans not wanting to go to night game. I think some digging would point the finger squarely at Snyder's greed and the ridiculous amount of corporate seating.

When work-a-day fans are priced out and the seat becomes the 934th corporate perk the passion and commitment go down. Personal seat liscenses, the high costs and legalized tix brokers (stub hub, craigs list) are stripping away home field advantage across the league.

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 4, 2008 10:02 AM |

Roy has done nothing for Dallas, and would have cost way more then he is worth.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 4, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

1) Pitt is within reasonable driving distance of FedEx

2) In this economy, I am not surprised that some people sold their tickets on eBay, craigslist, stubhub, etc., to get some extra cash - knowing they could watch the game on TV.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Not enough PANIC Up Here...

Posted by: daggar | November 4, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

wait! Stay Medium... sorry, I got carried away.

Posted by: daggar | November 4, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

i thought that Redskins fans were planning to bring burgundy towels... how come i didn't see any?? (maybe cause there was no chance to wave them?)

Posted by: rachel216 | November 4, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"The Skins need another receiver to complement Moss can anyone say Roy Williams? now with our hated division rival that was a missed oppourtunity"

Not even sure what to say to this. 1st, 3rd, and what else, and Williams didn't even start against the Giants??

Yeah, good call, thats EXACTLY what the Redskins should have done.......

This just in, Pitt is a very good team....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

not that the offense did the defense any favors, but

Carlos Rogers had an awful game. And I will say that you could come to that conclusion without even mentioning the dropped touchdown. He got beat on that long pass play, the short touchdown, made an awful pass interference penalty because he lost the ball in the air, and the only time he didn't get beat was when a steelers receiver dropped the ball.

As for the fans issue...I agree with Wilbon. Why buy tickets if you're going to turn around and sell them? Is there that much money to be made by screwing this team? And if you're coming to the game, be loud on D. They had a homefield advantage and it was more terrible than those stupid towels that they wave.

Posted by: moo21 | November 4, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

1) Pitt is within reasonable driving distance of FedEx

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 10:15 AM

don't make any excuses.. So ppl from PA can drive down here and buy tix (probably at much higher value? oh and the ecomony in this area is much better than PA or most parts of the country. everyone is very quick to bash Snyder for making money, bash the team for not playing well, us fans should look at ourselves as well and see if we are doing our job and based on last night, ppl selling their tix to cowboy, philly fans thats sick.. I hope the organization controls the sellout fans from selling their tix to opposing fans.

Posted by: rdscnz | November 4, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Williams is a very good WR, and might have been the best OFF player on dallas this weekend whether he started or not, that said no way in Hades the skins should have paid that ransom mid season for him. That would have been lunacy!

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

It isn't just FedEx. Whenever the Redskins travel to play the Panthers, I've noticed lots and LOTS of Redskins fans making noise at Bank of America Stadium.

It also happens when the Redskins travel to Arizona (which is weird, considering it's over 2,000 miles away).

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 4, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

What a crummy day, Skins loss and election day. I wish I had taken the day off and got drunk.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Mr Skin 21, don't make excuses last night was one of the lowest moments in Fan/Fed Ex history.....

Posted by: chrislarry | November 4, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GaDawg

Other than the block, the punting game was actually extremely good. I don't know whether the block was Plackemeier's fault, but he is DEFINITELY an upgrade over Brooks.

Posted by: psps23 | November 4, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I live out in Ashburn and there are a LOT of Steelers fans out here. Going to this game was like the opportunity to see an extra home game for them.

My neighbor a couple of doors down was talking about going to this game for weeks, and I'm sure many of the other local fans were the same. It's a LOT easier to get to FedEx for them than Pitt!

When I went to the Fins game last year there were a LOT of Miami fans there too. Seems to me that although there are supposedly hundreds of thousands of fans who can't get in to see the Skins, there are plenty who do have tickets who don't want to go anyway.

Just for cL, I posted a link to a rant by Riy Keane, former captain of Manchester United (who ARE the biggest sports team in the world) about the evils of having too many Corporate seats in your stadium. It's #4 on the list.

You're right Cl, when there are too many people in boxes, the atmosphere goes out of the stadium and the home team suffers for it.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 4, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Zorn said he's taking a page out of his old boss Mike Holmgren's playbook and instructing players to get away from football from Wednesday through Sunday. Holmgren has won over coaches and players alike by telling them to get lost for a few days -- and it's something Zorn wants to duplicate.

"It revitalizes you," said Zorn, as if he were sending players off to spa treatments. "There's such a commitment. We need to take some time and just relax."

Relax? After that performance? Relax??????
Hey coach, you just got punked by The Steelers what do ya say?

"I'm goin' to Disneyworld"

ACK!

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

[whatever the opposite of "hip hip hooray" is]

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 4, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Again, for the record, it was Mr. Smoot, and not Mr. Rogers, who got beat on the long pass.
Mr. Rogers did not have a stellar second half. The 3rd and 15 conversion and the TD pass were on him. But that pick six he had was a thing of beauty. (@#$@$@#$@#$)

Posted by: daggar | November 4, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

captjim, from above.

Wilbon basically said that Taylor refused to distance himself from his past, and loved that lifestyle, despite the fact that:

1. Wilbon did not follow the team, thus how would he know this information.

2. Taylor didn't talk to the media, so how would Wilbon know this?

Lying sack of sh*t is what Wilbon is....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 4, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Apologies for all the LOTs. Maybe I should change my name to Ronnie...

Posted by: Redcoat | November 4, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

It was also because Taylor lifestyle had nothing to do with how he died.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 4, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Beantown Greg. I wasn't aware that he said that stuff. One more reason to hate Wilbon. I'm going to write a letter to the Post about him - not that it will help.

Posted by: captjim | November 4, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I think they'll be fine.

What are the skins on national tv now 0-2? I think Dallas is 2-0! Already counting wins they didnt happen, you know how that works! Nice offense, 6pts at home, yeah the steelers are good but if the skins are supposed to be all that they would have found a way to score some points, cambell is a fraud, more picks to come!

Posted by: Dfan | November 4, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

First zorn should have stuck with ther run

Second: play of the game, we should have gone for it on fourth and inches instead of getting the punt blocked

Third: we are starting to play joe gibbs football, we did not play aggressive, we played like hopefully our defensive will keep us in it and we get a lucky break on offense. play aggressive and play to win.

Fourth: I dont know what is going on with zorn but he is loosing his aggresiveness, he is playing more like joe gibbs

Fifth: what happened to chris cooley screens and running back screens, they were blitzing from all over you would have thought they would have thrown more screens to slow down the blitz

Posted by: GreatOne1 | November 4, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I think they'll be fine.

What are the skins on national tv now 0-2? I think Dallas is 2-0! Already counting wins that didnt happen, you know how that works! Nice offense, 6pts at home, yeah the steelers are good but if the skins are supposed to be all that they would have found a way to score some points, cambell is a fraud, more picks to come!

Posted by: Dfan | November 4, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Note to Beantown Greg: Who do we have in the red zone that we can go to when we can't punch it in(LIKE LAST NIGHT!!)its obvious the "wonder twins"(Kelly,Thomas) are of no help Williams would be perfect and don't tell me about his performance with Dallas so far, they are playing without Romo so until he comes back all bets are off maybe we send Kelly and a #1 who knows what Detroit might go for, the Cowgirls were desperate to shake things up offensively,that doesn't mean we had to do the same thing and Williams wanted out of Motown so i thought maybe we could steal him but i could be wrong.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 4, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

We are now 0-1 to start the 3rd quarter of the season. We started the 1st quarter in the same fashion, and ended up finishing 3-1. Let's all stay Medium today.

Also, get out and vote if you can.

Redskins Rule '08

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | November 4, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Jason you are such a smart football guy. You should be a head coach.

Posted by: MadDog20201 | November 4, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to "stay medium" about this one.

The Skins got their butts kicked last night, pure and simple. You can point to this element or that, but down at the lines of scrimmage, the Steelers dominated.

That said, it's far from the end of the season. The Redskins now know exactly what they need to do to compete for the title. Do I think they're capable of it with the current personnel? Maybe. But I'll take that.

Posted by: acoberst1 | November 4, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse