Unrestricted ... and the Day Ahead

Jason Reid's looks at Jim Zorn's job security.

Monday is chat day, so join me at 11 a.m. Seems like there might be a few things to discuss...

Dan Steinberg has more player reaction from Cincy, in case you want more of a clue into the mindset of the team after losing to the Bengals.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 15, 2008; 10:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Morning H-Back
Next: Follow-Up Thoughts from the Loss in Cincy

Comments

okay this is out of place compared to Doom & Gloom '08, but this is just too darn bizarre :

"San Diego Padres GM Kevin Towers To Orchestrate 30-Team Trade Involving Peavy, All-Stars

San Diego, CA — According to sources within the San Diego Padres’ front office, Kevin Towers has begun to draw up plans for a trade that would move star pitcher Jake Peavy. The proposed trade will include every team in baseball.

“It’s one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen in sports,” said a Padre official who spoke on condition of anonymity, “but it might just work. We’ll see — if he can just get [Astros’ GM] Ed Wade to go along with it, we might be onto something.”

Towers plans to have the proposal sent to all other 29 teams no later than December 20th so that GMs can consider it over the Christmas holiday. The work is still early in progress, but Towers is planning a coup-d’etat that would ship Peavy out of San Diego to…whomever.

“I really don’t give a damn who gets Peavy,” said Towers, “I just want this effin’ headache to end so that I can get to more important matters, like getting us a closer and shortstop.” Earlier this offseason, Towers informed former closer Trevor Hoffman that his tenure in San Diego is over and traded shortstop Khalil Greene to the St. Louis Cardinals.

After recent Jake Peavy-centered trade attempts with the Chicago Cubs and the Atlanta Braves failed, Towers is desperate to get anything to happen that he’ll try anything. His early ideas for the trade proposal include two hats — one which will have all MLB teams in it, and another which will have every single player in baseball in it. “Pull a team name out of one hat,” explained Towers, “then pull several names out of the other. If those players are on that team, they get moved to the next team; if they’re not on that team, that’s where they are now.”

According to Towers, he’d like to receive 12 players — one for each position as well as several pitchers, at least one of whom would have to be a closer — who have not only major-league experience but All-Star game appearances as well.

“If not every one of those players is a former All-Star, fine,” said Towers. “But at least half of ‘em. I don’t see why we can’t get 12 players — there was a 12-player trade last week, right?”

When asked if he thinks such a trade is realistic, Towers responded with a 13-minute rant which included complaining about other GMs and offering his opinions on what they should do. “I think [Mets’ GM Omar] Minaya is out of his mind — why wouldn’t you want to trade Carlos Beltran for [San Diego outfielder] Jody Gerut? He’s got such a high ceiling and hit .300 last year. Minaya shouldn’t be so stingy with his players. But I guess it’s back to the drawing board for that one…

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

continued :

“Some GMs might not go along with it, but I’ll just have to sweeten the deal by having all 30 teams share Brian Giles. Each team will get Giles for 5 games. Hell, I might just do the same with Adrian Gonzalez as well,” he added with a chuckle.

So who would get Peavy, and how would Towers get him to waive his no-trade clause to a mystery team?

“Easy,” Towers explained. “I’ll just bring him in, give him the contract, and cover up the team name with my thumb. Then, as he’s signing, if he asks what team he’s going to, I’ll say, ‘we’re gonna trade you to the…’ and then just say some nonsensical mumbo-jumbo. He’ll go for it — he is from Alabama, after all.”

ESPN’s Buster Olney says that if Towers can convince Peavy to go along with the absurd idea, the former Cy Young-winner will get his wish to play for a winning team — or at least more of one than the Padres. “Even the Mariners,” said Olney, “would be an improvement for Jake.” "

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

You trade Zorn (not fire), because it's easier to move a HC who only brought 1 or 2 guys in with him than it is to move a bunch of players with big cap numbers............

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 15, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Firing the Coach is the obvious answer to curing all of the team's woes...

I mean, it worked so well the last 8 times we've done it (in the last 10 years).

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The 'trade Zorn' stuff makes me laugh. Right of course thats the answer.

On an unrelated note, Marcus Mason was released by the Jets this weekend.....If only we'd have kept him and Leigh Torrence......

sigh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman

As did providing continuity. I mean keeping Norv Turner for 7+ years, that sure did the trick.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence for Heisman

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

No one's advocating keeping Zorn for 7 years...just giving Zorn more than 1 year.

Firing Zorn but keeping Vinny at GM and keeping the roster the same will solve nothing.

People can point to the Miami turnaround all they want, but Miami:

1)Got a New GM
2)Got a New Coach
3)Got rid of 30+ of the players on their 53-man roster.

If Snyder wants to do all of that, then yeah, I'm all for firing the coach. If anyone thinks that only doing #2 is going to solve anything.

And firing Zorn at this point basically means you should cut Candle, there's just no point trying to give him an 8th system to learn - it's too much to ask for any QB.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I said it a couple of weeks ago purely in jest, but here comes Holmgren; with Zorn retained as QB coach and OC.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 15, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I think I made my point early in the season. Do we want to waste yet another year on a mediocre quarterback and be a mediocre team, or do we want to invest the time on our QB of the future (Colt Brennan) and trade Jason Campbell while he still had some value.

Even when he was winning, I warned all of you that he was incapable of throwing 3 TDs in a game. I stated that if he could do that just one time this year, I might reconsider thinking he is a loser in the QB position.

I don't want to hear about his QB rating, or his rank. None of that means a thing. What matters is his field presence, leadership ability, and above all, the ability to throw multiple TD passes.

I am not blaming everything on Jason Campbell, but I do believe a QB of higher caliber would have lifted us over the Bengals and the Rams. If we have both of those games, we are sitting ahead of Dallas and Tampa Bay for that wild card spot.

Two games in this league can make or break you. Jason Campbell could not get us even two games against severely bad teams.

With these final two games of the season, we need to sit Jason Campbell and play Colt Brennan. Let us see how he can play against an Eagle team fighting for a wild card spot. Let's see how he can motivate the troops on a West Coast trip to San Fran with nothing on the line, except pride.

THE FUTURE IS NOW! THE JASON CAMPBELL EXPERIMENT IS OVER! TIME TO BEGIN THE ERA OF THE COLT!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 15, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I posted something this weekend, that by cutting Taylor, Springs, and I believe Griffin, you free up almost 19 million in cap space...from there I think you have to throw money at Jordan Gross if he doesn't get Tagged, and some money at some linebackers. I think you then have to take the first round pick, and trade back and get a 2nd and a 3rd, and then draft 2 dl, and one ol....leave Zorn in place, but fire some of the coordinators....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Either Snyder wises up after this debacle, and puts some real football people in charge, or he'll do some other knee-jerk reaction thing (like firing Zorn) to try and placate the fans into believing that next year will be the year.

Its time to fire Vinny, and put a real GM in charge. Keep Zorn, but let him and the players know that the pressure's on for next year. If they can't get it done then its time to clean house, and do it right for once.

I think we as fans are finally wising up to Danny's shell game. I know I have.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Beantown...

The sight of Rogers and starting linebacker Rocky McIntosh sitting side by side, their feet next to heaters, as the season slipped away, was far removed from how it began, with both recovering from reconstructive knee surgeries far ahead of schedule and contributing regularly. Rogers earned praise for his Pro Bowl-caliber play. Now, both wonder about their future as this organization claws for direction once more.

Rogers, Washington's top corner for the first three-quarters of the season, was a sparsely used nickel back Sunday. McIntosh, his chronically ailing knees aching again, was spared further physical abuse and spent all but the first few drives on the sidelines.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

and guys like Sports Guru are the reason I say we bench JC for the last two games.

Let TC start against Philly and Colt start against 49ers.

One game with Colt in there and he'll stop being racist...errr...he'll stop calling for JC's head.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Firing the Coach is the obvious answer to curing all of the team's woes...

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:15 AM

Look, I wasn't for firing Norv, at that specific time (Iwas for it 2 diferent times waaay earlier in his carrer).

I wasn't in for getting rid of MArty aftrey one season.

I was all for a 3rd year of Spurrier before he quit on us.

And I was ready to see Gibbs 2.5 (5th season).

But, this. This I can not stand for. I'm willing to get rid of mistake sooner rather than later.

Trading Zorn would be the best option to seattle would be the best option......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 15, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for bringing in new executive management, if that's what Snyder decides to do.

Also, is it possible that at some point JC will have basic knowledge in all the professional systems? Most are simply derivatives of each other, and he already has significant experience in 2 of the main systems (Air Coryell and the West Coast). How many guys have truly unique systems of their own?

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Jordan Gross?!? Give me a break.

That sounds like something Vinny would do. (He's over-rated)

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 15, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Sports Guru,

And what makes you think that Brennan even knows this offense? He has held a clipboard all season and probably gets next to nothing in terms of practice reps. He gets to warm up JC on the sideline. I understand your yearning for some instantaneous change in our offensive fortunes but there is no magic key here. The problem has not been Campbell all season. His receivers stink and his line blows and I have yet to see if this WCO will even dream of working. Unless Brennan is going to spend the entire game free lancing then he is going to one more cog in a horrible offensive system.

Posted by: driley | December 15, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

When he was used, he got USED by the Bengals for a touchdown. So can't say as I blame them for sitting his butt....

Rogers is here next year, and Rocky is as well.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Keep Zorn... unless The Chin wants to come here.

If that's the case, I say hire Cowher.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 15, 2008 10:27 AM

You know what, I almost hope that happens so Colt can go in a game, throw 3 picks and you can shut up for a while.

Dude was only good for about 1.5 preseason games. The other 2 games he stink it up just like everybody else. Get over it. There are way bigger issues with this team than JC and Colt.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

PSP,

You're missing the point.

Firing the coach without addressing the massive amounts of other problems facing the team will do nothing.

1) No young coach (see Spagnulo, Garrett, etc) will come here knowing that a 7-9 or 8-8 season their first year will get them canned.

2) No established coach (Cowher) will come here because it's transparent how inept the organization is, especially at the top.

So, I pose the question at you:

If we fire Zorn, who will we hire? Who would come here?

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that isn't sold on Bill Cowher?

I think that dude has gotten pretty overrated in his time off.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"but I do believe a QB of higher caliber would have lifted us over the Bengals and the Rams."

And a QB of lower caliber would have lost games to New Orleans, Arizona, @ Dallas, and @ Philadelphia, and instead of vying for a playoff spot this past week, we would have been 3-10 hoping to fight for the #2 draft pick. Unfortunately, Peyton Mannings aren't picked up off the street on a daily basis. The quicker you understand that, the quicker you realize that JC is more than good enough to lead this team.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

The best thing to come out of all this is that guzu is posting again, which we can all take solace in knowing that our lives are LIGHT YEARS ahead of his......

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

If you cut or trade Campbell then you're saying that this team will be a loser for the next two to three years and if they don't go out find a real GM then they are going to continue to be a bottom feeder team. read my post under Mon.Morn.H-Back its the last post, i live here in ATL.it was a train wreck last year and now?

Posted by: dargregmag | December 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

why are you guys even talking to that loser Sports_Dudu. he has been absent for like 6-8 weeks and now he is back.

What a loser

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 15, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

1: Fire vinny Cerrato and hire a former winning coach like a Bill Cowhler to be the GM.

2. start colt brennan over Campbell because Campbell is not a risk taker but Colt is.

3.For once in the Redskin's life draft draft D-Line and Offensive Line that is our problem.

4. Everybody complains that Malcom Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Fred Davis were bad picks maybe it is because Jason can't read a defense and remember plays and does not have the time to throw. They all don't get to time to play since they never run slants or deep ins.

5.Change the play calling!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: coop28 | December 15, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I think that dude has gotten pretty overrated in his time off.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The key for all those inactive (Fassell too) guys is that while they aren't coaching, their record isn't getting any worse, and no matter how modest their record may be, it still looks better than the present incumbent.

All Redcoat speak for "the grass is always greener".

Posted by: Redcoat | December 15, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Cowher had the longest leash of any head coach in terms of putting together a SB winning team. He may not have made it to that point in many other towns.

Posted by: driley | December 15, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:31 AM

A guy who plays wide receiver for the Rams told me that Leigh Torrence was the best CB he ever faced.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

If we fire Zorn, who will we hire? Who would come here?

Thats EXACTLY the point. No one, will come here...not one coach worth his salt....

truth, Cowher won a LOT of games with guys like Kordell Stewart, and Neil O'donnell, and another cat whose name escapes me. Thats impressive.

Consider that Belichick didn't SNIFF success until he had Brady, winning with Slash is an accomplishment.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

If we fire Zorn, who will we hire? Who would come here?

Posted by: VTDuffman

I've already said that the only person I would fire Zorn for is Bill Cowher, because he's the only viable guy that Snyder could possibly trust handing over executive management to. Snyder's twice done it before -- once with Marty, and once with Gibbs. I think even he knows that firing Marty was a rookie owner mistake, and he knows that Gibbs built a good thing here until he retired. I do not think Cowher is out of the question.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Cut JC and sign Michael Vick once he's out of the halfway house.

Trade CP to the Lions for the #1 draft pick and take a WR.

.... Scratch that.

I just wanted to know what it felt like to think like SportsGuru for a moment.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Get over it. There are way bigger issues with this team than JC and Colt.

Posted by: Predator48

Actually, the QB is the catalyst for the offense. Colt can improvise and make plays.

He had huge numbers in college... so people say he played weak competition.

He kicked butt in preseason... so people say he was playing against backups.

ENOUGH OF THE DAMN EXCUSES! THE GUY BEATS WHO WE PUT IN FRONT OF HIM.... LET HIM PLAY!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and if we are going to cut anyone, it should be Carlos Rogers.

The guy makes Ade Jamoh look like Darell Green.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 15, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I actually agree with you for once. But don't forget about cutting Washington too, which will free up I think an additional 3-4 million. But if you can't get Gross, throw the money at Peppers or Haynesworth and keep the 1st rounder and get the best available OLineman

Posted by: ga8085 | December 15, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible the Sports_Guru is really Colt himself?

Posted by: redpitbull98 | December 15, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

But hiring Cowher and giving him exec duties would mean firing Vinny and replacing him as GM.

If you add "Gut as much of the roster as humanly possible" to the equation then you and I are in complete agreement.

I'm just against people who want to fire Zorn but keep everything the same, esp. the GM. My point is that will solve nothing.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

ga, yeah, I think MWash frees up 3-4 million....time for some house-cleaning on a smaller scale....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Snyder should fire Vinny and bring in a talented GM ala Miami and ATL. He should also hire a talented, creative OC. Zorn does not need to be calling the plays.

But Snyder won't do this.....instead he will fire Zorn and we will have to start all over again and still be stuck with Vinny.

Posted by: Lisa_R | December 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: coop28 | December 15, 2008 10:41 AM

Posted by: TWISI | December 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I wouldn't object to signing Vick as a vet back-up.

Todd Collins is going to be eligible for social security this spring, and Vick wouldn't command much money.

And I say that as a dog owner. Vick screwed up, but everyone deserves a second chance.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Colin Cowher just said he thought the Cowboys were the best team in the league.

Gimme a break.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Reading that Steinberg article linked in this thread, Santana and Fletcher are saying that it's not the talent level.

I think it IS the talent level and find it funny the talent is saying it isn't the talent level.

Cause when I look at this team I see no playmakers on either side of the ball.

I keep saying we need to blow this team up, but we don't have 5 players that any other team would want.

Santana would go, but not for much at all. Portis, I don't think we could trade him if we wanted to with that huge contract. Cooley would go but he has a big contract, too. Who else from the offensive side of the ball? Maybe ARE, but why would anyone trade for him?

On D, Carlos Rogers and Laron Landry could get traded but we couldn't afford to trade either of them. Fletcher wouldn't get much. Can't trade Horton. Who else? NONE of our O or D linemen would get even a 7th round pick I would bet, minus Samuels.

This team is just lacking talent. We're gonna have to wait till these long contracts run out before we try to change the team. Until then we're gonna have to draft well, and...yeah we know how that goes around here.

Gonna be until like 2012 before we're a playoff contender IMO.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Cowherd*

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

YAWN....Except for against Georgia in a Bowl game right? Other than that he's GAWDDD.

Please stop the madness.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Time to re-hire Gibbs and get back to playing Redskins football.

Posted by: eleysium | December 15, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

how do we move forward? how do we evoke change?
What "change" needs to be done? Personally, I think we need to limit the owner's influence on the team (to the extent possible) this includes getting him out of the draft room, and removing his pal Vinny Cerrato. We also need a GM. We also need better scouting (or to listen to the ones we have).

We as fans need to take a stand. We cannot tolerate more of the same...
we've seen this show before, the ending is decidedly disappointing.

We've got one more home game- how will we voice our disapproval? I'm not suggesting booing, but there should certainly be a COORDINATED EFFORT to voice our displeasure.
Ideas?

Posted by: HonestSkinsFan | December 15, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

stop with the trade scenarios.....just stop.....unless we're trading back in the draft, to pick up more draft picks, then the redskins wont be making any trades....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

so Sports Guru wants to put our third stringer in as QB and cut Carlos Rogers. Genius.

And we thought Danny\Vinny are bad???

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"When you write something like this, it invalidates everything else you've posted. I heard over and over from the commentators some of whom are former QBs, RBs, and coaches how Campbell has read his progression correctly and found not only his third option, but sometimes his fourth. I take there analysis of Campbell over your uneducated judgements any day.

Posted by: TWISI"

Not only that, but the #1 by-product of not being able to read a defense is throwing into coverage, which results in INTs. How can he have only 6 INTs if he can't read a defense?

And before anybody responds with "he never takes chances" or "all he does is throw checkdowns", realize that that is a completely moronic statement when you look at the fact that his 2 most frequently double-teamed pass-catchers (Moss and Cooley) account for exactly 50% of the receptions this team has (out of 14 players that have caught balls this season), and if you add his 3rd receiver (ARE), that percentage jumps to 66%. That is not checking the ball down.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

What's that one guy that's on ESPN that was a former GM? If you're not going to hire a GM, than please, atleast bring one in as a consultant for the draft and free agency. And it really hurts that there's no 2nd rounder, because it will more than likely be a mid 2nd rounder.

Posted by: ga8085 | December 15, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

All the JC haters need to shut their pie hole! Colt Brennan playing behind this line vs the Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens and Giants would have him running to his mama. Ain't no cream puffs in the NFL, even a one win team can whoop that a**!

The only thing I fault Campbell for is not being vocal enough when mugs mess up. He needs to grab a facemask or two in the huddle and demand accountability.

Posted by: elfreako | December 15, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

If there's no worthly linemen when our 1st rd pick is up, I hope we trade down for more picks instead of Millening it on a WR or something...

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I wouldn't object to signing Vick as a vet back-up.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 10:49 AM

Please do not start this debate. Read the Atlanta Journal Constitution Blogs for more insane banter on whether Vick is still the greatest qb who got shafted by the man.

He did not make a "mistake".

He knowingly funded an interstate criminal organization based on gambling, for years. He then lied to his team owner, and then lied to the Commissioner of Football.

He is an idiot, who I do not want leading my football team no matter how fast he runs.

Do not bring his name up and the word "quarterback" in the same sentence again.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

From a previous thread:

"The real difference is that Dallas has talented playcallers. As big of an idiot as Wade Phillips is, he's always been a stud defensive coordinator, and Jason Garrett is widely renowned around the league as one of the best young offensive minds in the game. Coaching cures a lot, as evidenced by Atlanta, Miami, and Baltimore.

Posted by: psps23"

The Cowboys had something like 9 Pro Bowlers last year, and almost all of them deserved to be there statistically. The Redskins don't have a single lineman as good as Theo Ratliff, Demarcus Ware or Greg Ellis. None of their o-lineman are as good (right now) as Andre Gurode or even the oft-penalized Flozell Adams. The Redskins only have one home run hitter (Santana Moss). The Cowboys have T.O., Felix Jones (when healthy), Roy Williams...even Tashard Choice, for crying out loud.

Atlanta, Baltimore and Miami all have new coaches. They also have exceptional front offices that made solid personnel decisions quickly and with minimal interference from ownership.

I agree that franchise QBs don't grow on trees. Well, neither do great NFL coaches. With a solid front office and great personnel, even head coaches like Mike Martz or Barry Switzer can get to a Super Bowl.

Posted by: jcabana | December 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Forget Colt Brennan. With that gauzy O line, you could put Sam Colt back there with his entire inventory and it wouldn't make any difference. Apparently the Skins are now into the spirit of the season by providing mercy Fs to every bottom feeding also-ran team in the league. Is it too late to schedule in a game with Detroit? I like Zorn, but I get the distinct feeling he's not getting much more done than juggling. He's trying to do a West Coast offense working mostly with a pre-existing offense that was as innefective as it was voluminous. He's got a bunch of players who, were it not for DanVin's ability to find guys who's careers peaked exactly 24 months before they signed a Redskins contract, would be watching the games from home. I watch what's going on with the Dolphins and I realize that the major difference is that Miami has undergone a FO change, a coaching change and the wholesale unloading of dead weight. What you got is a bunch of "Who's that guy?" players who actually believe they can make it happen. I don't mind rebuilding. I can wait for a team that has the dominating potential we've seen in years past. I can wait for the kind of wholesale house cleaning that's going to be required. In the meantime, Santana's welcome at my house anytime. I've got a whole closet of shoes he can spiff up.

What a moron.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | December 15, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"People can explain away anything, but the bottom line is that HE IS A WINNER! HE GETS IT DONE!

Please stop the madness.

Posted by: Predator48"

The thing is, with the Sugar Bowl, literally the ONLY reason he sucked was because we had one guy rushing the passer, Marcus Howard who now plays for the Colts. He just rushed and rushed and eventually some other players started getting through.

Colt shriveled up and literally cried when his OL was outmatched against our DL (who was pretty good but not THAT good).

The thing is, Colt wasn't mobile at all and he didn't improvise as Guru is saying, at all, in the game.

So why would we think putting him behind another crappy OL against better DL's would make Colt suddenly a world-beater?

And Guru keeps calling this guy "a winner". He was a system QB just like that other Hawaii guy that sucked in the NFL before him, Tommy Chang or whatever.

I said after the Georgia game and right when we drafted him that Colt would never do crap in the NFL. He did a little better than I expected in preseason, but he would get murdered out there if he played today and I really think he'd get hurt after about 3 or 4 sacks.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

He did not make a "mistake".

Do not bring his name up and the word "quarterback" in the same sentence again.
Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------

Yes, he did make a mistake. And he's paying for it.

That is how our justice system works.

The rest? Your personal vendetta? Jam it sideways.

And don't post infantile "don't bring up his name again" declarations to another anonymous font, you cheapjack maggot.

Oh, and have a nice day.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I think the media actually is the one who is starting the "Should the coach be fired?" discussion. I would be surprised and disappointed if Zorn was fired after one year. The expectations coming into the season were never for a superbowl champion with a rookie head coach. To be honest 8-8 or 9-7 would be satisfactory to me for a first year. Coach Joe Gibbs records were 8-8 and 5-11 for his first year in each period with the Redskins. There is also a long list of very productive and even star type wide receivers that didn't develop until their second or third year so the book is still out on this draft. There are alot of good young players that may be available in free agency and the draft that can help bolster the offensive and defensive lines and may be even at WR (TJ houshmanzadeh???). This could be a much better team in just one year. And speaking of Vick, assuming he can catch and is somewhat cheap, he might be a good player at wide receiver and as a punt returner taking over the Randle El position.

Posted by: skins9and7 | December 15, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Here's what we can REASONABLY expect for next season.

1) All front office and coaching structure stays intact.

2) Campbell stays. Given his lackluster performances at the end of the season here, the FO will jump on the opportunity to sign him at a cheaper extension than they would have during the win streak.

3) Washington, Springs, possibly Jansen, and Pete Kendall (his contract is done this year, I believe), Thrash, Jason Taylor, and some other veterans that we can afford to lose (cap situation permitting) get shown the door.

4) We develop the WCO for another year, looking for one of our young WRs to be able to step up in the #2 spot, moving ARE to the 3rd slot guy (where he should play). One interesting thing to note is that Bobby Engram will be a free agent this season, he'd be cheaper signing than say Housh - wonder if Zorny would make a push to bring him in as a player/tutor for the other WCO guys.

5) (Cross my fingers) We invest heavily in O-line and D-line depth in the draft.

6) We sign D.Hall and look for pass rushing help - I think getting Suggs as a strong-side LB would awesome. Don't know if that leaves money to sign Rogers, but he falls down the list of priorities.

7) We start to shift to a RB rotation, and pick up someone with some speed who can be a true change-of-pace back. CP plays with a lion's heart, but he's an undersized power back who has lost his speed/agility to break big plays.

8) We sign any one of a half-dozen proven veteran kickers that get released every year to stabilize our kicking game.

Posted by: p1funk | December 15, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

my personal opinion, if you keep zorn you have to go one more year with campbell. if zorn is out then you go a different direction. plain and simple. if campbell doesnt show an ability to grasp the system within the first 4 games next year maybe you pull the string and toss is colt brennan. remember brennan got abused in college against an sec team. he is more like TC than he is like Manning. does anyone know who timmy chang was? he was the hawaii qb before colt and he broke all these records at hawaii. what has he done? oh i think he's playing in the UFL or some new league.
anyways, jasno i want your opinion on all of this.

Posted by: MondoTE11 | December 15, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

skins9and7, I don't see this team getting better at all next year. I think we're on a steady decline right now.

We're just too old and the old talent we have wasn't that good when they were young. That's not a recipe for success.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Yes, this team has an 1100 yard WR (on an anemic offense), a 1500 yard RB (on an anemic offense), a 90 reception TE (on an anemic offense), 25 year old 2-time pro bowl CB with 6 INTs this year, a rookie DPOY candidate, a 2nd year safety that was a pro-bowl alternate in his rookie season, a MLB that is nearly a lock for the pro-bowl, and a 5-time pro-bowl offensive tackle, but this team has NO talent whatsoever. None.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Tampa traded for Gruden and has come to regret it. Teams just don't trade for coaches and they definitely aren't going to trade for Zorn who has done nothing to prove he's even an average coach much less worth trading for. Plz stop the trade Zorn to Seattle for 2 2nd rounders shabingus that is just beyond silly.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 15, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

The skins need a real GM! We have problems with coaching but Vinne Cerrato and Dan Synder are largely to blame for this fiasco! Just look at their track record - not very good by any standard!!

Fire Cerrato and get a real GM!

Encourage Synder to sell the team so that we can get a real owner!

Fire Zorn and hire Bill Cowher!

Get rid of the prima donnas (eg portis, etc) and get players who are more team-oriented!

Posted by: skinsfan7 | December 15, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Time to re-hire Gibbs and get back to playing Redskins football.

Posted by: eleysium | December 15, 2008 10:54 AM

Thanks for saying what I have been thinking (In jest and in realness).......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 15, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

As the token Miami fan on here, the most important thing that happened in the off-season for us was that Parcells said "I don't care how good these players have been, they didn't get it done" and re-tooled accordingly.

Joey Porter got a pass for last season because the Fins wouldn't use him for his strengths - that clashed with what JT did for us. So in 2007 JT got 10 sacks and Joey was 'an expensive bust'. Now this year we have no JT, and Porter has 17.5 sacks from 14 games. Why?

Because the Fins team as a whole is not about stars, it's about finding guys who can do a job (Jason Ferguson our 100 year-old nose tackle discard from Dallas for example, or even 'Hanging Chad' Pennington) who can do a job and WILL do a job for the team.

We don't have many (any) real stars; just a bunch of guys who come to play. A simple but coherent playbook with a little finesse in it, a (mostly) tough defense, and the lowest number of turnovers in the NFL, may even set a new low (have to stay under 14).

I bet we don't sell a whole heap of shirts for this team, and people probably wouldn't recognise 45 of the 53-man roster, but they all believe in what they're trying to do - even after a 2-4 start.

The Skins really seem to have lost their way this year. I was going to say this team is too talented to be 7-7 but after 14 games, you are what your record says you are. We were 1-13 at this point last year, and as much as that hurt, it's who we were.

You have to recognise that first before anything gets better.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 15, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder will fire Zorn because he does not have the patience to give him a chance next year. News flash Danny the problem with this team is not the coach. The problem with this team is Vinny Cerrato and his awful decisions to bring in players that are old and washed up. The problem also starts with Danny and the fact he becomes friends with so called star player ie Portis. By doing that he undermined the head coach and the players now respect Zorn less. As long as Dan Snyder refuses to hire a GM to make roster decisions this team will be the laughing stock of the nfl. Danny you are a joke as an owner and have ruined this franchise!

Posted by: bigjofc | December 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

All Redcoat speak for "the grass is always greener".

Posted by: Redcoat | December 15, 2008 10:41 AM |

Redcoat is so hopelessly stuck in the 20th Century. Anyone younger than 50 would write "the artificial turf is always greener."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 15, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

F Vinny!

so guess what????!!! ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT until our superbowl starts!!!!!!!! wooohooooooooooooo!!! can't wait!

i know lisa saw it but did anyone else see vinny's interview before the game? looks like writing is on the wall. when asked about zorny he said "we'll evaluate everything at the end of the season..." and hopefully someone evaluates his a $$ too for the past 10+ years. when is this stupid a-s-s owner gonna realize this??? i know...when there is no "waitlist" and the games are being blacked out!!!

F Vinny!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

someone wake me up when this team has some balls and Vinny is canned. I'm done watching this crap...

Posted by: Moose33 | December 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

+++I'm writing this on a prop plane Sunday night...++++JASNO

Let's see, they've got you on an airliner from last century and the Post evidently lost the lease on Reid's bathroom stall.

I KNEW things were tight in the newspaper industry, but wow....

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

One more thing look at the wins and losses since Danny took over as owner. You are judged as an organization by wins and losses not revenue Danny! Soon the revenue will dry up because the fan base is sick of year after year the same old $H!t. Maybe then he will sell the team after he starts losing money because that is all he cares about marketing and making profit. Get over yourself Danny your team stinks and you ruined it!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bigjofc | December 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

All that talent -- yet not a single one of those players (with the exceptions of Fletcher and Landry) actually help to make his teammates better.

I love Fletcher, Landry and Predator. But the rest of them can go hang. They aren't very team-oriented, and they aren't leaders. I like Cooley, but the elephant in the room is that his playing style leads to frequent fumbles. Every time he catches the ball I get nervous. Moss and Portis are selfish knuckleheads.

To me, it's the difference between a Jeremy Shockey and Kevin Boss. One is clearly more talented than the other and has put up better stats in the past. But who would you rather have? Personally, I'd choose Boss. So did the Giants, who won a Super Bowl with Shockey barely playing a down all season.

Talent is a huge part of the equation. Unfortunately it isn't everything. Also notice that none of the most talented players on the team play on either line.

Posted by: jcabana | December 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

In terms of the team getting better in just one year. It is very doable with a few good decisions made in free agency and the draft. I agree our track record has been shaky at best on personnel decisions of late, but the Dolphins and the Falcons are proof that 1 year can change alot. Horton was a good pick and Devin Thomas has shown flashes... he should probably get a shot at Punt returning also. Last year at about this time the Dolphins were getting their first win.

Posted by: skins9and7 | December 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Have to agree with Redcoat. 90% of Skins' fans are like the alcoholic that is in denial. We are who we are.

Some say that 8-8 is what I predicted from this team. That would be fine if we started out 2-4 and improved from there. There is no positive growth. The Skins are not a good team.

Posted by: Skins930 | December 15, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"instead of all you idiots clamoring for colt or against colt, i want jasno to give us a take on what he thinks. i want what he thinks on zorn as well. stop all this other crap and let someone with more knowledge of the situation tell us what he thinks.
my personal opinion,

Posted by: MondoTE11"

LOL

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

You think THAT'S crazy.... The Yankees just offered that shoe throwing Iraqi guy $160 million for six years.

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Gregg Williams is available again? Think The Vinny and Dan show will reconsider and bring him back? LOL...

Jacksonville Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver and coach Jack Del Rio will shake things up on the field, in the front office and with the coaching staff after a disappointing season, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

AFC South blog

ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

The first change involves defensive coordinator Gregg Williams not returning to Jacksonville. A one-year marriage to Williams is headed for divorce, sources told ESPN.

Del Rio wouldn't confirm the move to ESPN on Sunday.

"When Gregg signed here, we both agreed a one-yeal made sense because of other opportunities that could present themselves," he said. "This [report] is ahead of the game. Nothing's been decided."

Philosophically, it hasn't worked, and it wasn't an expensive hire because Williams had one year left at more than $2 million when he was let go by the Washington Redskins.

Williams could reunite with Jeff Fisher in Tennessee if Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz lands a head-coaching job in the offseason.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | December 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The reason I don't call for Snyder's head every day is not because I think he's done a good job (he hasn't) but because it's the one position (owner) that cannot be changed, barring an unexpected death or complete financial collapse.

It was a mistake to sell the franchise to a banty little shyster who was a fan of the team as a kid; everyone should have known THEN that his judgment would be clouded and that he'd have his finger in everything.

But as I said yesterday, if I ever meet Richard Branson in-person, I shall implore him to buy the team. I think he'd be a superb owner, simply because he wouldn't be tinkering with it day-to-day.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

stop this vick as a punt returner and receiver stuff, he is a QB and only a QB

Second Zorn is not aggressive and quite frankly his play calling sucks.

How in the world do you call a two run plays when you are down by ten with 3 minutes to go and no timeouts, even if you get a first it takes so much time off the clock.

Zorns in game awareness is terrible

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 15, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I actually have come around to the belief that Zorn will stay....I don't want him to, but I think he will, and the reason is the embarrassing and disjointed process that brought him here in the first place. Snyder ran such a crappy coaching search process last year he ended up having to promote his rookie OC cause nobody else wanted the job except Jim Fossil (intentional spelling there). Snyder can't risk admitting his failure after 1 year and going through being the joke of the league again with another crazy coaching scramble if BC says no. The only way he cans Zorn is if he already has a deal in place with BC or maybe Holmgren before he does it, he can't risk it otherwise.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 15, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

F Vinny!

For those of you who would have a problem with firing this coach. let me ask you what coach has danny fired that has gone on to do great wonderful things? no body. every coach he's fired has gotten fired by every (nfl) team that has hired them.

this coach DESERVES to be fired ALONG with the person who has hired EVERY COACH since then, F VINNY!!!

F vinny!

if zorny was black there would be a 90% flip flop of people up here. are you telling me that there was NO minority coach with ANY HC or OC experience in the league left to be even considered for the same job as this moron???? really? i didn't know "quirky" made up for the experience and "quirky" was that huge part of the equation. by far the worst hire in the league ever!

F Vinny!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 15, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

It's true that this team has talent. The quotes from yesterday from Moss et al about all the talent sitting around verify in the players' mind at least that they have the talent to win a lot of football games. But have not we heard this same thing from the players for years now? "Look at us, we are good, we should be winning games. I don't get it." When this same phenomenon reoccurs season after season then the reality is the players don't get it. There are clutch players in this league, the ones who make the plays, make tackles, make the interceptions, make the take-away leaping catch that actually changes games. Moss is the only one on this team that I think has that ability. CP is not going to break that run for the TD if it is over 20 yards, Rogers is not going to make that interception, Landry is not going to make that tackle and no one on our line is going to cause the other team lose a fumble on the goal line. Yeah, we have good players but we have only one who is worthy of the upper echelon status. That is what keeps this team mediocre, just good enough to raise your hopes but bad enough to crush them.

Posted by: driley | December 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

you cheapjack maggot.
Posted by: MrRedskin21

What a wealth of football knowledge you must have!

It is not a personal vendetta, it is knowing the difference between a mistake and criminal stupidity.

A mistake is bringing your dog to a dogfight, getting said dog killed and going home.

Criminal stupidity is financing a dog fighting operation for years knowing it is illegal, covering it up, and then lying about it while still trying to be the face of a team and the NFL.

See the difference.

Yes he got what he deserved, but thats not my point. My point, is that I don't want criminal stupidity leading my team. Could he come back and be a decent QB. Its possible, but not likely.

Please keep the name calling to yourself.

have a nice day.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I think Zorn stays.

And what we have to do is hope he learns from his mistakes.

He's a rookie coach so there's gonna be a learning curve, just as there is for our rookie pass catchers.

He's a little stubborn it seems and his style hasn't rubbed off well, but maybe one day we'll be praising his unique style.

Gotta give the guy a chance.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

bigjofc, Moose33 and dealer, I couldn't agree more. Nothing will get better until Redskins fans pressure the owner to either change his ways or sell the team.

It's very telling that a Hall of Fame coach couldn't do more than will the Redskins into the playoffs 2 of his 3 seasons. Given what we are seeing now, Gibbs' second run might have been as amazing a coaching job as his first run. He covered up a lot of the dysfunctional crap we saw before he came in and we've seen since he left.

Posted by: jcabana | December 15, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:22 AM |

Too late. All money went to his widow. That dude was executed last night in Guantanamo.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 15, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

++++A guy who delivered some Christmas presents to my house this weekend told me that Colt Brennan was the best QB he's ever faced.

Posted by: VTDuffman++++

And that guy was...wait for it...Leigh Torrence.

9If you can't make them stop, join 'em)

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

You'd better check Webster's definition of "mistake."

And as for your beef with bloggers on AJC.com, I am NOT one of the people who shouted "Free Michael Vick" nor am I inclined to give him a pass for his actions.

BUT... He was convicted, he's doing his time, and when he's released, I believe he'll get a second chance.

May as well be here, since the price is right.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 15, 2008 11:11 AM

You missed it. Last night I dropped it to a conditional 7th Rounder (If they keep Zorn as HC on opening day 2009)......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I am sick of this stay medium crap. There is a time to get angry on the side lines and in practice. And 2 weeks ago was the time. I do not want Zorn fired cuz at the end of the day it takes more than 1 year to implement your scheme and if JZ spends the offseason looking at tape he should be able to make the proper corrections.
Having said this if some how my wish is granted and Vinny is fired and a REAL GM is hired then that man can do what ever the f he pleases.

Posted by: NFeKPo | December 15, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

my personal opinion,

Posted by: MondoTE11"

Just because jasno is a beat reporter, don't think he knows anything about football.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 15, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

you have to recognise that first before anything gets better.

Posted by: Redcoat

Exactly, Jim Zorn has not done a good job at identifying what type of players he has and fit a system that fits his players, he keeps trying to fit the players to the system and that doesnt work

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 15, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Neither Dan is going to sell the team or Vinny is going to get fired. It didn't happen before and will not happen now. So we are basically stuck with these morons running the show. What I would expect is to hire an experience WCO coordinator and a quaterback coach and let Zorn be just the HC. Use the picks we have for Oline and Dline and get a few missing pieces from the FA.

Posted by: thewayitis | December 15, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that isn't sold on Bill Cowher?

I think that dude has gotten pretty overrated in his time off.

Posted by: TheTruth11

I couldn't agree more. Last offseason i spoke to a friend who is a huge Steelers fan. (sad that in my office there are more Steeler then Skins fans) He told me that Cowher wasn't a good x's and o's coach because he could never adjust either in game or throughout a season. He is a coach that needs to support from in owner to stick with him when he gets on players or has a bad season.

Posted by: NFeKPo | December 15, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Is it any surprise this team plays with no heart when dbag Vinny can't even do his radio show today. Gutless.

Trade Zorn. Bring in Michael Vick. Zorn would be fired if he was black. Some classics being posted up here this morning.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | December 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

F Vinny!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 15, 2008 11:26 AM |

dealer,

do not start with the stupid racial comments.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 15, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The problem is that every time there's a near fan revolt calling for the ONLY logical solution; hiring a real GM and letting him work, Snyder hires a big name coach who get's the fans drinking the Kool Aid again; see Gibbs 2.0

I'm not buying it anymore; they can bring in Cowher or whoever, I'm not buying anymore gear or 8 dollar beers.

Posted by: Vinnymustgo | December 15, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Rogers is here next year, and Rocky is as well.

Posted by: fullonfully | December 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

+++I actually have come around to the belief that Zorn will stay....I don't want him to, but I think he will, and the reason is the embarrassing and disjointed process that brought him here in the first place. Snyder ran such a crappy coaching search process last year he ended up having to promote his rookie OC cause nobody else wanted the job except Jim Fossil (intentional spelling there)++++---zjfr2

Excellent point. Here's an interest point, too. If Fassel HAD taken the job, he'd have been stuck with Zorn as his Offensive Coordinator. Zorn--now--is a horrible play caller. It may be he's too busy head coaching to design decent plays, but I suspect it's because he's utterly inexperienced at the task.

Add int eh fact its the WCO on the East coast, no personnel help from the FO, and you have a disaster

And look at him on the sidelines. Zorn has his little card in front of his face and isn 't even looking at the field. There may be a voice in his ear, but it doesn't look like he waits for input.

We might be calling for Fassel getting canned now.

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

+++Also notice that none of the most talented players on the team play on either line.

Posted by: jcabana+++

Except a healthy Samuels. But point taken.

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I just hope S Moss feels just a tad dumber today after "cleaning his shoes" while losing to a 1-11-1 team.

Worse thing is....if Zorn calls him out on it, half of you guys will be calling for his job because he embarrassed our "only deep threat".

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 15, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

+++you cheapjack maggot.

Posted by: MrRedskin21+++

A few months back this would have been "your an idiot."

I feel my campaign for more imaginative insults is working.

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

A few months back this would have been "your an idiot."

I feel my campaign for more imaginative insults is working.

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:46 AM |
---------------

LOL

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21

Football is not the great big cosmic mystery that you need the Oracle of Delphi to explain. I am sure that you can take the average fan to a game and they can observe that certain players tend to be playing in YOUR backfield from the opposing team and that is a problem, or that tight ends and backs should be holding on to the ball with both hands when they are about to be tackled and they don't and a fumble occurs. They can see that certain receivers are never open, that others can not run a route that goes beyond the first down marker so the team has to punt. Even the non expert can see these things. Football has changed formations, its language, and some other things over the years but it is still a game where the team that scores the most points wins. Jason is observing this team every day and listening to players and coaches and giving his take on what it means. Some of you don't like what he says, especially if it clashes with your world view. Some of you may be just smug enough in your opinions that you may say that he does not know anything about football. But keep an open mind and you may learn something yourself.

Posted by: driley | December 15, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

+++.....unless we're trading back in the draft, to pick up more draft picks, then the redskins wont be making any trades....

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

How'd that work out last year, Beans? Th FIRST trade is trade Cerrato. I'm thinking a seventh rounder would be about right.

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why some are bashing defensive players like Carlos and/or Smoot.

The D-line has few sacks, but as a unit, the Redskins defense is having a very good year.

Think of it: If this anemic offense was just scoring the league average of 21.6 point per game every week, the team would be headed for the playoffs.

The issues with the Redskins are almost all on the offensive side of the ball. Yes, they need to get a serious pass rusher on the D-line, but the inability to score points on offense, especially in the last 5 weeks, is what really ails this team.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 15, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

++++Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | +++

And you are a Growtnoll, a moonling and a pig-sconce.

Sigh, my work is never done....

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Cool, someone who knows what's up! I got blasted the other day cos' I said Carlos Rogers should get replaced this offseason...another week, another beating. where are all the Rogers supporters now?? he sux...Defense needs a MAJOR overhaul. If you watched the Dallas/Giants game last night, that is the kind of D we need. I don't like 'em but Bradie James,DeMarcus Ware, Kiwanuka, Justin Tuck are beasts...that is the type of playmakers we need to hang in this division

Posted by: fullonfully"

This post is on par with "Cut Jason Campbell because we need Colt Brennan to be the next Tom Brady."

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

++++Cork, your an idiot.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | +++

And you are a Growtnoll, a moonling and a pig-sconce.

Sigh, my work is never done....

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Cork, your insults are reaching the realm of poetry, treasured by the few, misunderstood by the masses.

Posted by: driley | December 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

cork, considering that Zorn wont throw the ball to anyone but Cooley, or Moss, I don't know how it worked out. None of use do....Like I said, Betts, Sellers, Portis, Davis, ARE COMBINED for 3 catches.

You're telling me that all 5 of these guys weren't open during the game?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Except a healthy Samuels. But point taken.

Even a healthy Samuels isn't that great these days. He's been riding on reputation for a couple years now, IMHO.

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Could Madoff scandal be getting closer to Snyder? Former Eagles owner and current Mets owner now listed as big losers....c'mon Santa make Snyder a loser in this too!!!!!

All I want for Xmass is a "For Sale" sign on the skins!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 15, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

driley,

Jasno knows nothing about x'and o's when it comes to football.

Fans might see certain things on the field but we have no real idea of why it happened, because we do not know the assignments each player had on that specific play.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 15, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | December 15, 2008 10:31 AM

LOL! Colt sure did look good in the preseason, against a bunch of players who haven't played in a NFL game this season. If anyone thinks putting Colt in is going to make this team better, doesn't really know too much about football. Sometimes I really think Danny boy and Vinnie C are posting some of these comments.

One of the Redskins problems is scoring touchdowns in the redzone. If we scored TD's yesterday we beat the Bengals, we would've beaten the Rams to if someone can put the ball in the end zone. Someone said bring in Bill Cowher. Seriously, why would he want to come into this mess? I didn't like the Jim Zorn hiring, but he grew on me during the season. He's made mistakes, but I expect that from a rookie head coach.

Key reasons this team has sucked for the last few weeks have been noted by JLC. NO PASS RUSH, they somehow made the Bungles offensive line look like one of the best in the league. I guess Danny Boy and Vinnie C. didn't learn, you don't trade 2 draft pics for a 34 year old out of his prime. Offensive line isn't very good. This old line couldn't hold up for the entire season. I'm surprised Campbell didn't get a major injury. Last few weeks he's been under heavy pressure.

This is the reason you draft. When your players are past their primes, you have guys who can come in and produce. You need to have depth at every position. Not just at QB, RB and WR. At EVERY POSITION. To bad the Skins have done a terrible job having quality reserves. Look at the good teams. Steelers, Pats, Colts, Giants. These guys know how to make good draft picks and build a franchise.

All the Skins fans need to relax and face reality. Jim Zorn overachieved with this group. Old defensive and offensive line that can't produce and he somehow can end up at 9-7 or whatever the record will be. Everyone predicted us at 6 wins. Hey we got 7! If they can Zorn, Campbell is done with this team. He can't be learning an 8th offense.

Bottom line, we need to draft lineman on both sides of the ball, get a new starting outside linebacker, need a 3rd string RB, and pray that Vinnie C doesn't trade the rest of our picks in the draft. I have a feeling that Zorn and Campbell can make this work. Will the front office of the Skins make the proper changes to give these guys a fighting chance to be a contender next year?

Posted by: trueredskinsfan | December 15, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Yes, we all know this, but don't forget, it was the journeyman QB Todd Collins that took the Skins to the playoffs last year, not JC!
He'll never LEAD this team. With enough tools around him, he might be good enough to MANAGE the team. He had more than enough time yesterday, but still MANAGED only a mediocre game without LEADING the team to victory.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 15, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fullonfully"

Posted by: psps23

I said trade Jason Campbell.

Colt Brennan is the best QB on our roster. Why on earth would you keep putting your eggs in the Jason Campbell basket?

If our defense is full of Forest Gumps, then Jason Campbell is our Gilbert Grape!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 15, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat

Actually, Moss has already apologized to Zorn.

Anybody that thinks Santana Moss or Chris Cooley are at ALL the problem with this team, they need severe re-education in how teams win. One fumble and one 15-yard penalty are NOT the reasons this team has put up 11 points per game the last 7 games. The problems are far deeper than a once or twice-a-season mistake.

Posted by: psps23 | December 15, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to badmouth the defense even though they haven't been playing as well lately. It is apparent to everybody this offense is not going to score any points to help. Turnovers on the first drive and I am sure many of them are thinking damn it, here we go again.

Posted by: JasonLaTempleton | December 15, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru, have you ever watched Colt play other than the preseason games?

And how many of those preseason games did you see?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Flounder,

During other Morning H-back posts Jasno has been very specific in the x's and o's.
He has not tried to be a Ron Jaworkski type of analyst, who spends all his private hours in the film room but he has impressed me at times with the details of what happened during the games and why it happened, facts that I am unable to see on the television screen. Jasno is in effect writing to his audience, most of the people who read this blog are fans only, not former players or coaches. Jasno has in the past broken down in great detail the "play of the game" and why it worked. Is there a need to do that for every play? Not really. I may be interested, you may be interested, but most would yawn.

Posted by: driley | December 15, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Don't believe I said that S Moss was the problem.

My problem is that the moron is "celebrating" in spite of all of the problems that surround him.

Posted by: SirAnonymoustheGreat | December 15, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 15, 2008 11:48 AM

I would've settled for a bowl of pasta and meatballs. If only for the upgrade of intelligence in the meatballs.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 15, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Reeducation as it was implemented in Vietnam was both a means of revenge and a sophisticated technique of repression and indoctrination which developed for several years in the North and was extended to the South following the 1975 North Vietnam takeover.

Posted by: psps23

who knew? a Vietnamese remedy for all that ails the Skins! Thanks so much psps23!

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 15, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

People need to stop with this Colt talk. The poor guys is going to get killed behind that old arse line. The problem lies with the FO making us belive we can win a championship with the players we have. We have average players playing their guts out.

Posted by: thewayitis | December 15, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Wake up Redskins!

This franchise will continue to produce teams in the .500 range, give or take a game due to injuries, unless Mr. Snyder replaces Mr. Cerrato with something that knows how to build a team.

Mr. Cerrato has reasonable abilities to evaluate talent, he just isn't the guy to bring in all the right pieces to build a team.

Posted by: cabraman | December 15, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Mr. Cerrato is a strong believer in NOT drafting for need, as well as a stron believer in not accurately representing the performance of guys he passed on ...

Posted by: dcsween | December 15, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

It's posts by guys like Sports dude or whatever his/her name that got me out of writing in on these things long time ago. I just got sick of redskin fans who don't know or have a clue about football.

Football 101---it all starts at the line of scrimmage. He who controls the line on the O side and the D side...wins more football games than loses. That's it.

In today's NFL you need mobile QB's, which Campbell has enough of. However QB's that live on scrambling and running around to make things happen, while very exciting to watch and enjoyable, do so for two main reasons. They either can't read defenses (at all), so they scramble until they see something that makes sense to them or they just don't have an O line.
I agree that JC is not the QB to lead a team from behind. You just can't draft an Elway or a "mature, seasoned Brett Favre" anytime you figure you have a need for one.
It does'nt work that way.
Put in CB if you want. Behind that line, he'll get killed and shell-shocked into NOT becoming a good NFL QB.

Other than that, I'm in full agreement with all those who say the ultimate problem with this team is not Zorn, Campbell but the people who put it together....Vinny and Danny.

Posted by: chris_r | December 15, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Fire vinny, hire a General Manager, owner stays out of roster moves, and cut players that care more about themselves than the team. All those things will need to happen before this team is a real contender instead of an 8-8 or 10-6 one and one playoff team. When will you wake up Mr. Snyder and realize your plan has not and will not work. Sucessful people learn from past mistakes and are flexible enough to adapt. Mr. Snyder you have done nothing but ruin a once proud franchise. Please do us all a favor fire yourself!

Posted by: bigjofc | December 15, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse