Update On An Old Friend

Would be remiss if I let some news regarding an old favorite in these parts pass any longer. The wide receiver, No. 85, found a new home (at least temporarily) while I was on vacation, and figured I'd post on that situation.

This guy cost the Redskins a 3rd and 4th draft pick and about $12 million total for two years of service, if you can call it that, with constant off field issues and scant production. Perhaps they could have found a way to reach out to him more and connect, but it never happened and he was a cancer.

Lloyd signed with the Bears a few weeks back, and this deal is eons away from the $10 million guaranteed the Skins lavished up the receiver (even with him signed for another season). This time Lloyd got no bonus whatsoever. No incentives. No escalators. Nada.

Lloyd received a veteran minimum benefit contract with nothing up front, not even a workout bonus. Yes, the contract includes a $40,000 workout bonus, sources said, but first Lloyd must participate in 85 percent of Chicago's off season workout program sessions to receive it, so he got nothing up front.

The Bears could but him at any point and owe him nothing. Should Lloyd make the team - something sources said the Bears are not necessarily counting on ("They know he's a malcontent, but he played for our coordinator in college and was recruited by him," said one NFL source who spoke with Bears people about the signing. "They look at it like he's drowning - he's not totally drowned yet - and (OC) Ron Turner wanted to throw him a lifeline, but who knows if he'll use it."). Should Lloyd make the team he could earn a maximum of $605,000.

My take on this guy has been long established, but, I gotta say, if he somehow matures a bit and maybe deals with some of his personality issues, I could actually see him having a decent year. Now, these are huge ifs, but if he gets on the field I think he can replace Berian as Chicago's downfield threat and makes plays in spurts.

He will have every motivation in the world and will be playing for his football life. Then, of course, he may take that $12 million from Dan Snyder, build a recording studio in his basement and focus more on fashion and hip hop than football and totally check out. Have a weird hunch he does enough for the Bears to get himself a decent contract a year from now ... then buyer beware to any team that actually empowers him again, cuz his troubles run deep.

Also kinda strange how both of the biggest of the 2005 offseason busts - Adam Archuleta and this guy - end up in Chicago on the cheap. Archuleta gave the Bears essentially nothing in 2007, and will be very interesting to see if Lloyd makes it this year. Chicago's off season workout plan begins in a few weeks, and I would assume he would report and at least get that $40,000 in his hands.

Okay, that's it for tonight. We'll do some breakdowns of every position on the roster next week and definitely check in tomorrow. Got my hands on some very, very interesting - and telling - figures on team spending and the cap that I think you'll want to check out. I found it somewhat mind blowing while culling the numbers from NFLPA and NFL Management Council sources.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 3, 2008; 5:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Jason & Jason (and Russ) Show
Next: The Numbers Don't Lie

Comments

1st

BONG

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 3, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Lloyd does not have what is referred to by some as "hand."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 3, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I miss him already.

Posted by: PDiddy | April 3, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Did he play for the Skins??

Posted by: kerzon417 | April 3, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

We need someone on the team that we can just ruthlessly hammer.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Tried to beep beep the last thread and could not. That was one messed up thread!!

Posted by: kerzon417 | April 3, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Nate, from the last thread, I agree with your last comment. This may not be my best day hearing things on this blog, but overall, I love the RI blog.

Posted by: kerzon417 | April 3, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Lovin' the BONG! love these days!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | April 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I think this is the best time of year on the blog, when things are a little slow, it's not like Grand Central Station.

I noticed Seth having a little fun with it and some of the others not trying to change other people's minds (as if), but mixing up some of those earnest football comments, with some of the light fantastic dance that is RI.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Murf,
Is that you?
I though I heard the faint sound of a sitar.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I have no reason to believe he will replace Berrian. None at all.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 3, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

I hear ya, kerzon.

Again, and I cannot stress this enough, you are nowhere near the level of hypercritical chooch we've seen up here. Carry on, brother.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 3, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

jasno,

Can you answer two questions about Brandon Lloyd?

1. Who on the coaching staff wanted this guy?

2. Whose idea was it to tear up his old contract and give him $10 million guaranteed?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 3, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Let the number crunching begin...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

i just heard from jason & jason that the skins are looking to groom a back-up fullback. a little flutter appeared in my heart at this news.

stand by-- my skins mock is coming.

Posted by: TDawg | April 3, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

We need someone on the team that we can just ruthlessly hammer.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 06:16 PM

When was the last time this was a problem? We've still got Betts, Suisham, Frost, Jansen, Griffin, Doughty. It's always open season on these guys. All they have to do to trigger the hammer from someone is to breath.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 3, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

We need someone on the team that we can just ruthlessly hammer.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 06:16 PM

Carlos "Hands of Stone" Rogers is always a possibility. He'll probably get a brief pass as he's coming off injury, but not much I suspect.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 3, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
How in the wide world of sports could you actually see this guy replacing anyone and being effective on an NFL roster. Dude, calm down just a bit.

Posted by: jmich001 | April 3, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's my draft board:

1st- (DE Derrick Harvey); (DE Philip Merling); (OG Brandon Albert); (CB Aquib Talib)
2nd- (DT Trevor Laws); (DT Dre Moore); (LB Jared Mayo)
3rd- (WR Jordy Nelson); (another WR)
3rd (comp)- (OG Roy Schuening); (SS Tom Zbimbowski); (OG/OT Mike McGlynn)
5th- (CB Jonathan Zenon); (FB)
6th- QB (best available)
7th- whichever has not been filled: OL, DL, CB, SS, LB)
7th (comp)- 6th- whichever has not been filled: OL, DL, CB, SS, LB)
7th (comp)- PK

Gemahlene Nüsse zugeben und
Den Teig verkneten

Augenballgroße Stücke vom Teig formen
Im Staubzucker wälzen und
Sagt die Zauberwörter
Simsalbimbamba Saladu Saladim

Auf ein gefettetes Backblech legen und
Bei zweihundert Grad für fünfzehn Minuten backen und
KEINE EIER

Bei zweihundert Grad für fünfzehn Minuten backen und
Keine Eier ..

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 3, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

New blog pool on when Receiver, Theirs gets the axe? Now that he's a Bear I don't feel bad taking part.

Give me second week of training camp, when he blows them off entirely.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 3, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Give me second week of training camp, when he blows them off entirely.

Posted by: SMACK1 | April 3, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Over/Under on how many games our 'Skins win this year.....

8.5

Ready, set, go....

(BONG!)

Posted by: bigmurf08 | April 3, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe "Jesus Joe" Gibbs wanted to give him 10 million and Snyder did what he wanted. Let's not pretend that Gibbs didn't have anything to with it. He was the team President.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 3, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Skins 9-7 this year...

I want Pac Man Jones!!! He's better than Smoot, Rogers and maybe Springs.

Go get em' Vinny!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 3, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Better at making it rain? Yes. Better at getting kicked out of the league? Yes. Better at playing CB? Who knows...stay away from the Skins though.

Posted by: --swb | April 3, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

People like Pac Man are energy drainers. He's not the guy the skins need.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 3, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm feelin' the 9-7....we need to hit on some draft picks this year - lot of holes.

As far as Pac-Man, that dude is straight retarded (not P.C. - sorry)....just like Chris Henry's ignorant pot smoking a55.

I mean seriously, he gives pot smokers a bad name. Stay home and chill out like the rest of us, idiot. Eat some food, read the inter-net, play some on-line poker - something!

No to both these guys on any team because they are just entirely way too dumb to play football.

Pac-Man deserves to go the cowboys - they need to add another drug addict to their long history of crack heads (literally). How long until Pac-Man and Chris Henry get caught in a semi-truck with 420lbs of weed?

BONG!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | April 3, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

So

Instead of going for the big fish (Ocho Cinco), would the Skins go for the rotten fish (Chris Henry) coming out of Cincy?

Upside: Young, big WR with reasonable stats; could definitely be a cheap pickup
Cons: Almost certain to miss some portion of the start of the season. May be a(nother) locker room cancer

Discuss

Adam

Posted by: argh | April 3, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Adam:

As resident Bengal expert and admitted fan I have to say: Absolutely, absolutely not on Chris Henry. He is 10x worse than CJ in terms of his locker room and team role - and actually if this is possible worse than PacMan. Plus I found his on the field production pretty mixed - some theatre catches, but a lot of sloppy routes, etc. Sort of a (this will sound odd) B Lloyd but with a felonious attitude and CJ entitlement.

So

Upside: Young, big WR with reasonable stats; could definitely be a cheap pickup

Discuss

Adam

Posted by: argh | April 3, 2008 09:59 PM

Posted by: zornskins | April 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Remeber Kenny Wright...

Not to be outdone by their cross-state rivals in Cincinnati, the Cleveland Browns have gotten a player arrested on Thursday, too.

Browns cornerback Kenny Wright has been busted in Texas. He is charged with unlawful restraint, evading arrest, fleeing, and possession of marijuana.

Bond has not been set, and Wright is still in custody. As to his mugshot, Wright apparently is wearing an apron of some sort.

CHECK OUT THE MUGSHOT

KENNY WRIGHT, TOP 5 WORST REDSKINS EVER, SUCK IT

Posted by: grizlies98 | April 3, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

dude looks stoned to me.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

This is what's happening in my neighborhood.
What's happening in yours?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

BONG!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | April 3, 2008 09:16 PM
__________________________________________

I've found that my online poker play seriously deteriorates the more stoned that I get.

BONG!!!!

SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY!!!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 3, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Vat Vas Dat Agin?

Helga was hang the wash out to dry, and then went downtown to pick up some dry cleaning.

''Gootness, iss hot,'' she mused to herself as the sun beat down on her. She passed by a tavern and said, ''Vy nought?'' So she walked into the air conditioning and took a seat at the bar.

"Bartender," she said. "I vill have unt cold beer, please.''

The bartender asked, ''Anheuser Busch?''

''Vell, fine, tanks," she said, "Just unt leetle svetty.''

Posted by: kerzon417 | April 3, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Skins will not bring in any problem guys. Even ocho cinqo is too big a risk. Zorn is a first year coach and the biggest group of players he has ever been responsible for is about 4. That's what a QB coach does.

Now he is responsible for 60 (including coaches, etc). That last thing Skins mgmt needs to do is bring a single player that will suck up a ton of Zorn's time. Of course, my argument makes so much sense that DaVinnity will do the opposite ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 4, 2008 1:51 AM | Report abuse

Hi all, I just stopped in to say from the living nightmare that is, a week at a trade-show in Vegas.

Good news! I finally tracked down the person I had to kill to get out of this place and I fly back tomorrow. Unless they find the body, that is.

Maps, such as, like.

Have a great Friday and weekend and see you guys next week.

Posted by: Redcoat | April 4, 2008 2:05 AM | Report abuse

For those who need to know such things:

"The league was set to announce its entire regular-season schedule Thursday, but the date was pushed back. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said during the NFL meetings that he expected the full regular-season slate to be announced in the next two weeks."

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | April 4, 2008 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Remember last season when the Skins had one of the easiest schedules when the 2007 schedules were first announced.

Then, at the end of the season, it turns out the Skins really had one of the hardest schedules in 2007.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 4, 2008 2:15 AM | Report abuse

I really do not have nothing of value to add to this blog.

I'm not smart enough, nor am I too witty enough.

Posted by: podspeak | April 4, 2008 2:41 AM | Report abuse

Any Update on ESPY.

I think he was going to be a good big receiver but I don't know what is up with the Knee.

Posted by: mul | April 4, 2008 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Did I mention that Franz Beckenbauer is my true sports hero?

Having said that, soccer is not too violent enough to ever catch on in this country.

The officials call too many fouls. Slide tackling, for instance, should be encouraged.

Posted by: podspeak | April 4, 2008 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | April 4, 2008 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | April 4, 2008 02:08 AM

They try to time it so as to disrupt some other sporting event. I say it comes out after the first quarter of the NCAA Men's Championship Game. ESPN will cut into game coverage, and there will be four bracketology experts to decipher what it all means.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 4, 2008 5:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | April 4, 2008 05:34 AM

THEY ARE THE GREAT AND POWERFUL NFL, THERE ARE NO OTHER SPORTS OTHER THEN THEY AND THEY ARE ALL OTHER SPORTS. THE NCAA DOES NOT EXIST IN THE WORLD OF THE NFL, THEY PLAY WITH A SILLY ROUND BALL NOT A MANLY REAL BALL.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 4, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Is this thing ticking?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 4, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

This is what's happening in my neighborhood.
What's happening in yours?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | April 3, 2008 11:17 PM

Mmmmm...fried chicken! Auugggh....

Posted by: tripz | April 4, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

kyzcy9zr [URL=http://www.790481.com/462858.html] enqt22pnjidgv53g [/URL] qmuteeyx74cev

Posted by: kk8fb21e88 | April 30, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse