Versatile safety Reed Doughty is playing many roles

Playing behind Kareem Moore and LaRon Landry, fifth-year safety Reed Doughty doesn't know how much playing time he'll see from week to week. In fact, before Sunday's game against the Packers, Doughty said he had no idea how often coaches might call his number.

As it turned out, Doughty played a big role in the team's defensive game plan, which utilized a three-safety lineup to help handle the Packers' passing game .

"It's one of those situations, they said 'just be ready, we may do that'," Doughty said. "I think a lot of things transpired during the game that made us do that. They lost some people, it was close."

While the Redskins have heavily used their nickel packages, last Sunday's win was the first time they leaned so much on their dime package, with six defensive backs on the field at one time. In fact, according to CSNWashington.com, the Redskins were in dime for more than half the team's defensive snaps. Doughty finished the game with four tackles (two solo) and one pass defense.

There's obviously different reasons to go with the dime, but Washington used the formation on first- and second downs, not just third. And they used six defensive backs in some run situations. The Redskins were short on defensive linemen and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett must have felt a third safety was more valuable than another body up-front.

"It just depends on what exactly they're going to do," Doughty said. "There's times when we'll keep our nickel out there versus the run. It's not always just whether it's run or pass, it's just what the coaches feel is going to be our best situation to get a chance to win."

As for Doughty's specific role in the dime, it seems to very from snap to snap.

"I do everything," he said. "Honestly. I'll play short coverage, man to man, blitz, deep coverage. And that's why you do it, though. That's why you have an extra DB on the field. If you have a linebacker, no, you're probably not going to do some of those things."

By Rick Maese  | October 13, 2010; 2:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Elite QBs, longtime friends--and foes on Sunday
Next: Trent Williams' reckless driving charge is dropped

Comments

Foist!

Posted by: Rocky420 | October 13, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

all play NPI, all play, you're a great guy, i think.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 13, 2010 2:34 PM |

Don't backpeddle. If you believe it, own it. You'll at least earn a scintilla of my respect.

Now, this thread was straight out of a gay-cock-smoke-a-thon.

Why do these non-athletic bloggers (notice I never said journalist) want to turn football into badminton?

PS - Kudos to the valedictorian who finally got my name. I bet your folks are proud of the tens of dollars they spent on your education.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 13, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

just found out that barno1 and poopy mcpoop were seen holding hands in public, possibly frenching

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Lavar looks STUPID with that beard, it looks fake.

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"...but I don't get the RI hate that he's (KoryL) drawn after two games."

I think a lot of folks don't get that Shanny is building and auditioning all at the same time.

Guys play if they can and are cut if they can't.

Too, we'll walk away from this season knowing more about this roster than any we've seen over the past ten years.

So far, only JJarmon, JBeck, MKelly, KBarnes, and TAustin are unknowns.

LAlexander, CWilson, AArmstrong, and some others are being asked to perform, and have.

In the past, overpaid vets and free agents would take their place.

Now, guys are contributing or given a pink slip.

And that's not a slip meant to recognize breast cancer, btw.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

That's how the man should be used. Awesmoe!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Actually, if Doughty is in there, they only have five defensive backs in and one safety-backer. I don't like Doughty in coverage, but love him near the LOS. He's a far better strong safety than free.

We hear so much about Moore, Doughty and Landry that Horton has almost become the forgotten man... or is that because he isn't cutting the mustard? I would like to see the team get a bonafide free safety, move Doughty back to a backup role at strong, and if this means Horton hits the highway, then I think I am all right with that. I'd bet my bottom dollar that Barnes could play free safety quite well, but that would hurt depth at corner and with the way Buchanon is playing, they are going to need some other guys at corner.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

one thing's for sure, lavar has put on some weight

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope Poopy washed his hands, you know how he likes to sh*t a lot.

What happened to Albert_Haynesworth? Did Poopy just give up or did he get kicked off??????

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Bigfoot_has_a_posse = No_Punt_Intended

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

one thing's for sure, lavar has put on some weight

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Lavar Arrington = Chubby NERD!

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Jarmon KO'd Rodgers. He's no longer an unknown.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope Poopy washed his hands, you know how he likes to sh*t a lot.

poopy and barno have been going at each others throats on the bog. it's very entertaining stuff. the name barno still reminds me of the circus

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The defense has exceeded my expectations overall given that the personnel is not yet ideal for Haslett's 3-4 scheme.

I know about the yardage, but points allowed is what you look at. In the new "air it out" NFL with all the rule changes and emphasis designed to favor the offense, the name of the game is keep them out of the end zone. Teams that can take away the big play and take advantage of the compressed field inside the red zone to force field goal attempts are going to be the successful ones.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 13, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Merriman without PEDs is only slightly better than Warrick Holdman.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 13, 2010 2:33 PM

Shuddering here on that name. Let's not pull that one out again please.

LaVar has put on some weight b/c he has the munchies all the time.

I also want to know what happened to Horton. I haven't had a long enough view to see who is on the kick off and kick off return teams. Is he on either of those?

Posted by: dcsween | October 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the circus reference, now I can't get the mental picture out of my head of Poopy kissing a bearded lady!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

just think about poopy and barno sharing a tootsie roll

Posted by: hessone | October 13, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I used to love going to the Barno and Poopy Circus as a kid.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Lavar sucks mass cack. Hes such a whiney little be!tch. he has no real content for a show and only the true redskin haters tune in to his piece of crap wanna be radio show. He has an enormous axe to grind and will always whine and cry against the skins because he sux dirty arse for a living now. hey lavar.................GO AWAY!!!!!

Posted by: SkinEm1 | October 14, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse