Vigil Tonight at 6 pm/Other Info

The folks gathering at the field to honor Sean here have asked that I get the word out that at 6 pm tonight they will be gather for another vigil. Glad I can help get that out there.

It was pretty moving last night and imagine it will be the same thing tonight.

Also, the Redskins will be hanging a black draping atop the entrance to Redskins Park shortly to honor Sean. It is similar to a tradition among police and fire departments when one of their own passes, according to the team.

Some players have already come and gone, but a group of at least 10 or so remains in side with coaches and staff members. Joe Gibbs is expected to address the media at some point today and players can chose to speak with us if they so desire.

Richard Sharpstein, a lawyer and family friend, said no funeral arrangements have been set at this point and this week he hopes to speak to the family about setting up a charitable fund and also fund for Sean's daughter, Jackie. Sharpstein said most of the family is huddled together in the Miami area, grieving and making plans.

I have also received an email that contains a statement from Pedro Taylor, however, until I am able to verify that it is in fact authentic, I am not going to post it. Richard is trying to check with Pedro Taylor to make sure the email is legit, and I'm checking with the Redskins to see if they know anything about it as well.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 27, 2007; 10:37 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Saddest Day At Redskins Park
Next: Reed Doughty Expresses His Thoughts

Comments

Very sad and tragic...

From a police investigation POV, are you (Jason) hearing anything more about how the cops are investigating this crime?

They've said it was an attempted "burglary" or "robbery" from what I've read. Given the way that Sean was killed, the cops have got to be playing coy...this was a murder.

Posted by: p1funk | November 27, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Good idea for a way for the team to honor ST on this site. http://www.uniwatchblog.com/

RIP ST

Posted by: ahalt | November 27, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could make the trip up to Redskin Park for the vigil. I'll be there in spirit.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 27, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

ahalt - I was wondering about that this morning. Would be a great idea. Portis will do it for sure.
Hail to 21

Posted by: puttinforbird | November 27, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

JLC for those of us without cars, will there be buses running regularly to Redskins Park from the metro this evening?

Posted by: saranred | November 27, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Now I know how Broncos fans felt after Darrent Williams was murdered.

And the feeling sucks. It's like a gnawing at your gut that pops up at unexpected moments when you let your guard down. I hate feeling this way.

Posted by: jcabana | November 27, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I WILL BE THERE

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I'll be there in spirit!
HTTR and RIP Sean Taylor

Posted by: Soup17 | November 27, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could be there tonight. I will be there in spirit.

Posted by: puttinforbird | November 27, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I am at the university of maryland and wondering how I could possibly make it down to Redskins park from here. Thanks

Posted by: slic5163 | November 27, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

IS IT AT REDSKINS PARK OR FED EX FEILD

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Kudos to your timely, balanced reporting and sticking to reporting only verifiable fact, not a bunch of innuendo and hearsay. Please keep us posted on the charitable fund for Sean's daughter (hopefully, some of this would also extend to his fiancee?).

Adam

PS As per Redcoat's suggestion would the Skins consider contributing part/all of the remainder of Sean's contract to such a fund or do they want/need to consult with the league before doing so because of weird cba salary legalities?

Posted by: argh | November 27, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: tug79boat | November 27, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

They may not retire the jersey, or put him in the ring of fame this weekend, but we can make sure he is the starting free saftey in the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: tdskinz | November 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

This f'ing sucks. RIP ST.

Posted by: bzn01 | November 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I cannot find a #21 jersey anywhere on the net. Does anyone know if they have been pulled or is there just such a high demand?

RIP Sean. Hail!

Posted by: jcooke539 | November 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Please keep us inform on the fund for little Jackie JLC. I really wish I could be there tonight.

Posted by: jm220 | November 27, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Being in ATL I cannot make it tonight, but I am making arrangements to come up Dec 30th with my three boys. We will all be wearing our #21 jerseys. Sean we will miss you and we are devastated by your loss. God Bless you and your family.

Posted by: gpizzano | November 27, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I looked for #21 on the Redskins' website as well and I could not find the Jersey for sale. Although I would like to buy one to honor him, I think for the time it's a class move by Snyder, lest anyone out there accuse him or the franchise of taking advantage of the emotion and situation. When they bring his uniform back, I hope they donate the proceeds for a time directly to his family and to his daughter's trust fund.

Posted by: macaro | November 27, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Would love to see Danny pay out the contract to Sean's daughter.

Also, excellent idea about voting ST into the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: NCICURN | November 27, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I've been thinking this morning about all our brave fighting men and women overseas. The Skins organization is looking at finding a way to pull together and play a game in 5 days. Lord only knows how. We've got soldiers every day losing friends and going out about their business and having to fight through that pain constantly. God bless all of them. How do they do it? How do we not all become overwhelmed by the negativity, mean-spiritedness, wickedness and violence in this world. Thank God my treasure is in heaven. RIP 21

Posted by: JS26121820 | November 27, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

LOOK ON RESKSINS.COM THEY HAD SOME ON THERE THIS MORNING ALTHOUGH SIZES WERE LIMITED, MODELLS HAD SOME AND SO DID, AMAZON

Posted by: jessie31202 | November 27, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

What a tragic situation. We as Redskins fans are the greatest fans in the world. We will all band together in this awful time.

I am dedicating the rest of this week to Sean at work . I am going to wear my Portis jersey and Skins hat in honor of Sean #21. God bless his family.

Posted by: DANIEL.PRETTYMAN | November 27, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse