Redskins players vote to decertify union

At the same meeting that Redskins players chose defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday as the team's new union representative, Washington players also unanimously voted to authorize the NFL Players Association to decertify as a union, according to Carl Francis, a union spokesman.

Teams across the league are conducting similar votes, as the NFL Players Association gets its affairs in order, preparing to move forward if a new collective bargaining agreement can't be negotiated with owners. By decertifying the union, players would then be able to sue NFL owners in the event of a lockout once the current labor deal expires in March.

As the NFL stares ahead at labor uncertainty, Redskins players will be represented by a man who has been following negotiations closely. Holliday, elected by his teammates last Friday to serve as the team's representative, has been active in the NFL Players Association for the past four years, first as the Miami Dolphins' rep and last year as the Denver Broncos' alternate.

If a new collective bargaining agreement isn't made, players could be locked out by owners, endangering the 2011 season. That possibility hasn't escaped the attention of the players, said Holliday.

"I've been following it closely and am really interested in what's going on," said Holliday, a defensive lineman who joined the Redskins as a free agent in May. "I'm concerned about these labor negotiations and what this means to everyone going forward."

Holliday succeeds Redskins linebacker London Fletcher as the team's union rep. Punter Josh Bidwell will serve as the team's alternate.

"This is the first year you can sit around in the locker room, and you hear guys talking about it," said Holliday. "They're asking questions."

"It is not in the background. Guys are very concerned," he continued. "For the first time since I've been in the NFL these 13 years, guys are involved in the meetings, they're asking questions, they're paying attention, they want to know what's going on. And they're asking good questions. They want to be informed.

"Before the union was something you paid your dues to and you received a folder or binder. It was the running joke that your $5,000 or $10,000 got you a notebook. Guys understand the importance right now."

And now it will be Holliday's job to relay the important votes to his teammates, make sure their voices are heard at the meeting table and cast votes in the most important labor matters most of these players will face during their playing careers.

By Rick Maese  | September 21, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins Insider Live: Catch it Tuesday
Next: LaRon Landry off to a good start, but 'it can be better'

Comments

scamp, it is poopy that starts his garbage EVERYDAY with me, as I stick to football related post, if you care to read them. That said, I reply to HIS post that are non-stop, kindergarten variety. Also when responding to him, I use reasonable verbage, unlike you going off on No_Punt_Intended. If you like his schtick, then enjoy it. If he leaves me alone you won't see me respond to his garbage, believe me. Till then,

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Holliday as union rep? Shocked that DHall wasn't the FIRST choice...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

If Carter is smart, he'll waive that idiotic no-trade clause so he can get back to a situation where he can rush the passer with his hand in the dirt...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 6:38 AM |

Agree brown, not only is he struggling, he just looks odd playing OLB. Why do coaches put players in positions they can't excell at ? Look how much better Landry is playing this year back at SS.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 6:38 AM |

Carter was smart enough to get the no trade clause in his contract and I'm sure he's willing to waive it for the right situation. "The right situation" usually involves money. My own assumption is that the Redskins just haven't been able to work out a trade where they will get enough value for Carter.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Hess, I wouldn't go that far...they HAVE to play him at OLB because he can't cover well enough to play ILB and he's not big enough to play DE. It's OLB or nothing...

beep, AC doesn't strike me as the type to make it about money...he got paid handsomely here, and you've gotta think he'd be intriguing to a 4-3 team that needs the kind of pass rush he provides. Seems to me his salary and the uncertaintly surrounding next year would be more of a hinderance than anything...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

they HAVE to play him at OLB

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 7:20 AM |

Which brings up the issue that bothers me the most about the new coaching staff. Why Haslett, and why the 3-4 defense ? I prefer the 4-3 that the Redskins have always used as their defense of choice.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 7:20 AM
------------------------------------------
I think it's just that the market for 4-3 defense ends just isn't that good right now. There have been fewer and fewer teams running the 4-3 and the market is kind of saturated. I would like to see Carter get to a team in need of a 4-3 lineman. You hate to hope for an injury (except to Dallas Cowpies and they don't run a 4-3), but maybe injuries will raise Carter's trade value. In a situation where, say, a Julius Peppers were to go down to injury in Chicago, Carter's trade value might go way up. Carter would waive his no-trade clause in a heartbeat for a situation like that where he would automatically be plugged into a defense.

What I have seen of the defense is that both Alexander and Carter look slow on the outside. Maybe it's not their overall speed but rather that initial burst. I like their strength and ability to take on lead blockers, but it would be great to have another speed guy out there like Chris Wilson. I don't think that will happen as long as Carter is with the Redskins.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Holliday as union rep? Shocked that DHall wasn't the FIRST choice...

Posted by: brownwood26

DHall has already said "I'll be where the (bleepin') union meeting is. This is MY union."

Posted by: TheCork | September 21, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Non-football related post:

You just have to check out the HBO Show "Boardwalk Empire".

It is a definate winner.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Wonder why London stepped down as the rep?

Posted by: ericroks | September 21, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Dueling bloggas:

Sorry but Portis IS washed up.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2010 11:06 PM

I disagree,... Checking out CP's splits from the 1st two games CP is averaging 4.3 ypa on runs to the right, 9 ypa on runs in the middle and 2.5 ypa on runs to the left. Could this be why Dock is in and out of games?

Posted by: TWISI | September 20, 2010 11:22 PM

Hard to enter a debate where data is in conflict with opinion.

And emotion caught up between them both.

Twisi is right to say that the skins are a right handed running team, and the numbers--and personal observation--don't lie.

Rachel is where I was Sunday.

It seemed CP had two/three open holes which, years ago, would've been highlight reel 30-40 yard gains--but Portis either tripped or was caught from behind.

Emotionally, we all want CP to finish the season on a high note with 1,000 yards.

But if K Williams--or some other running back--steps in and provides consistent burst to daylight, blitz pick up, and a few breakaway runs, we'll have to pocket our feelings for CP, and move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

On the Redskins first two offensive possessions in the red zone Sunday, I would've had CP throw a halfback pass on the second possession. He's a career 50% inside the red zone with all completions going for TD's. I'm thinking we'll see one this year at some point.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Bronco's WR Kenny McKinley found dead in his apartment of an apparent suicide....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

You just have to check out the HBO Show "Boardwalk Empire".

It is a definate winner.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 7:54 AM |

Great show HBO is the best in this arena.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 21, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

hessone

"On the Redskins first two offensive possessions in the red zone Sunday, I would've had CP throw a halfback pass on the second possession."

Amen, reverend, amen.

The Texans featured a young secondary, so why not try a little trickeration?

Tooo, one thing that has befuddled the skins' offense for years has been the failure to throw the ball into the end zone once it is in field goal range.

Heck, the rules are written to where you might either draw a penalty or get a 'pick play' touchdown just like the Texans did Sunday.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 7:33 AM

When Shanahan was roaming about training camps during his one year sabbatical, he discovered that the 3-4 defense was an effective tool in getting takeaways. If you look around the league over the last decade, it's absolutely true. Pittsburgh, New England, the Jets and Ravens...all run a variation of the 3-4. I love an old-fashioned 4-3 myself, but I see the value in the 3-4. My only problem with it is not having the depth or the personnel to run it. You can't have that kind of change AND adopt this "win now" philosophy. I'll happily stand corrected if they can pull it off, but history suggests that it's a difficult pull...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Why do coaches put players in positions they can't excell at ?

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Perfect example is Reed Doughty. You wonder why people say white men can't jump, he was Woody Harrelson to Andre Johnson's Wesley Snipes!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:06 AM |

I've stated it before and I'll state it again, CP falls forward and goes down without anyone touching him. Drives me nuts.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

The Texans featured a young secondary, so why not try a little trickeration?

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:15 AM

Because then if it doesn't work, then it's "that's a Zorn call!" or "where's the brilliant playcalling?" Hindsight is 20/20 (or 50/50 if you're Steve Spurrier). It is what it is...let's just move on to Rams week.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 20, 2010 11:06 PM

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Portis is done. After 9 years in the league as a primary back, he's showing all the signs of that inevitable RB drop-off.

This is nothing new, we were seeing it last season as well. Some Skins fans and CP-supporters need to emotionally digest that fact.

Sure, the Oline needs to get its act together run-blocking, but our Skins are currently ranked 32nd out of 32 teams in rushing. When your run game is totally failing the problem is all-around, not just with blockers.

Posted by: p1funk | September 21, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

moe, I'd like to see KWilliams get at least 10 touch's a game against the Rams, see what he can do...use this game as a precursor....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"My only problem with it (the 3-4) is not having the depth or the personnel to run it. You can't have that kind of change AND adopt this "win now" philosophy"

Yeah, there is some slippage with their logic in this area.

It's obvious to us all now, we need depth/playmakers at FS and OLB--and changing guys' positions won't remedy these exploitable weaknesses.

Whether they choose to ignore the obvious is something we'll never know.

But we do know the Packers' D had issues at the start of last season with it's scheme change, and by the end of the year, finished strong.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 8:21 AM

If you saw that movie, you'd know they can't hear Jimi either...haha

Oh, and Brent Barry says 'hi'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

But Goodell's concerned about safety. So concerned that he's decided that the NFL will add 2 extra games to keep players away from the dangers of everyday life. That's 8 hours a year where they don't have to worry about a piano falling on top of them. Big concern these days.

Posted by: RedskinsXXVI | September 21, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

You just have to check out the HBO Show "Boardwalk Empire".

It is a definate winner.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 7:54 AM |

Great show HBO is the best in this arena.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 21, 2010 8:11 AM

Hope to catch it tonight or tomorrow night, as long as HBO has it up OnDemand already...the previews looked great.

As far as the lockout goes...Ricky Williams said there won't be one...so I feel pretty good about that.

And finally it looks like I missed a good one between Poopy and Hess last night...kinda upset about that...poop flinging cartoons and everything! (and Hess I think HTTR meant that you have an IQ of 0 from his comment...and you said thanks...haha...you know I'm just messing with ya).

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

beantowngreg

"I'd like to see KWilliams get at least 10 touch's a game against the Rams, see what he can do...use this game as a precursor...."

I'll make an unsecured internet bet that this happens.

Like Jeff Fisher said, no coach worries over a favorite player's/star's feelings if he's not 'getting it done'.

I like CP and have been in and out of luv with him as a player.

But I also say let's give the young'n, KWilliams, some touches.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:28 AM

Good point...however, they have more good, young safeties than we do. If Kareem Moore can come back and play anything like Nick Collins, you might be on to something...

Speaking of the Pack, have you seen Clay Matthews play? That dude is a manimal...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 8:34 AM |

... and I will ITA with all my might today. As brown says, if you ignore the trolls they will go away.

Now, back to ACarter. Why not play CWilson at OLB and move ACarter to DE ? LAlexander could provide depth the best he can at OLB.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"Now, back to ACarter. Why not play CWilson at OLB and move ACarter to DE?"

Carter is undersized DE in the 3-4.

He would get mauled as a DE and be virtually uneffective. He can't play OLB very well either which means he won't be a Redskin much longer.

They have to play with what they got this year, next year should be better. The Redskins have lots of holes right now, even more then I thought a couple weeks ago. But it's not like other teams in the league don't either.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 21, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Anybody watch The Event last night? Pretty good entertainment.

My guess is the 'prisoners' are from the future...

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 21, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Pack, have you seen Clay Matthews play?

It's been a season and a couple of games, but the 2009 draft looks very good:

Louis Delmas
Rey Mauaulga
Connor Barwin
Austin Collie
Greg Toler
Javon Ringer

...any several others all look very good.

And as for our third rounder, Jeremy Jarmon, well,....

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

In addition to the uncertainty at the tackle positions, it appears left guard Derrick Dockery is competing for his job

Was VERY surprised to read this....I thought that Licktenstiger, graded out kind of low in the first game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Braylon Edwards arrested for DWI...shocker...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

haha, BEdwards.....idiot...hope he gets suspended....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

But it's not like other teams in the league don't either.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 21, 2010 8:52 AM |

I hear you Ray. I sometimes think that the NFL is a little watered down. I believe there's to many teams and the talent pool isn't big enough to fill all the rosters with professional grade players. Just a thought.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 8:45 AM

At first, I was gonna jump all over you for being the most football illiterate blogger up here for asking this question. But I'll try the nice approach since I could use the good karma.

This is the easiest way I know to describe the difference between a 4-3 and 3-4:

3-4 DE = 4-3 DT
3-4 OLB = 4-3 DE
3-4 ILB = 4-3 OLB

NTs should be the biggest, strongest mofos you can get your hands on.

There are exceptions to the rule, but for the most part that's how it shakes out. So you'll understand why Carter wouldn't just get mauled playing 3-4 DE, he'd have a compelling case against the Redskins for attempted murder...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 7:20 AM

When he signed, I recall Jasno broke down his contract and made the point that it had more in incentives and less in cash than he could have gotten. It was "pay for play." The only way that he got a no-trade clause was by giving up some money. No team hands those out for nothing. So, if he waives the clause, he's going to expect to recoup some or all of the cash he gave up to get it.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 6:49 AM

Give it a rest, hessone. You're starting to sound unhinged. Switch over to the ITA mode for a while. Just a suggestion.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

haha, BEdwards.....idiot...hope he gets suspended....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 9:05 AM

If his play on the field is any indication of what happens off it, the case will be dropped.

Sorry, guys...had to take that layup...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 9:15 AM |

brown, I won't co-sign, but I wouldn't disagree with you either !

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Agreed. I'm there with CP.

Would like for him to have 1,200 and 15, but that just isn't going to happen. Not with his age (29), mileage (Over 2,200 carries), his skill set (In decline), and the slowly developing chemistry among the offensive linemen in the running game (Learning new running scheme and rotation at LG).

Portis lacks burst or the ability to separate from tacklers. True, it isn't like he constantly has lanes to run through but when he does have the ball in space he's not a threat to outrun anyone or break a tackle.

Hard to say, even worse to say it but I think Portis' days as feature back are done.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Braylon Edwards arrested for DWI...shocker...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

He actually caught a TD the other night. That was a shocker.

He went out and celebrated - went on the bender of the century - to commemorate the rare exploit.

Guess he got nabbed coming home from the event...

Posted by: p1funk | September 21, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Braylon Edwards arrested for DWI...shocker...

Posted by: brownwood26
-----------------------

Braylon was clubbing with Donte Stallworth in Miami the night he killed somebody drunk driving. You'd think that experience might get a man's attention.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 21, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

LOL...just can't make this stuff up:

Braylon Edwards' Twitter ghostwriter doesn't read the Post
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 21, 2010 9:31 AM ET
An early morning DWI won't stop whoever ghost-writes Braylon Edwards' official Twitter page from working.

The message from the Jets receiver sometime around 8 AM this morning, just a few hours after Edwards' arrest:

"GoodMorning World...Winning is the goal, perfection is the aspiration, & dedication is the key to unlock the door #LetsWork."

Apparently, the key to unlocking the door is bail money.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I get kind of a twitch when I think about the possibility of no NFL next year.

I hope all parties involved in the talks will remember that it's not just about them. There are other people who will rise and fall on the outcome -- and I'm not just talking about us fans. There are millions of people all over the country whose livelihoods depend on or are at least enhanced by pro football.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 21, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 9:33 AM

I'm almost there, but I'd like to watch a few more games to see what he can do. I was disappointed in McNabb after the first game, but crazy for McNabb after the second. Given that none of the RB's have done anything (Redskins are 32nd in the league for rushing yardage) I'm thinking that the problems may not be with the RB's.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's rapid descent continues:

"Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco's mechanics look off. Flacco usually has one of the smoothest throwing motions in the NFL. But his footwork and follow-through were unusually shaky in Sunday's 15-10 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. It's part of what led to Flacco's career-high four interceptions. With the exception of one touchdown drive in the third quarter, Flacco never looked comfortable in the pocket and often threw off his back foot. That impacts accuracy and velocity, and Flacco, who has a very strong arm, lacked both on many throws. This week, Baltimore's coaching staff should get back to the basics with Flacco and remind the young quarterback of what made him successful."

Posted by: swowra | September 21, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | September 21, 2010 9:38 AM

Right. Do it for the greater good!

I hope all parties will focus on the fact that the lost revenue can never be recouped. There's a recession on (or not). The NFL is the only part of the stimulus that's actually working.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

It seems like Portis' upper body reacts but his lower body doesn't when he tries to cut. When he gets one on one in the open field he just can't seem to get around anyone.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | September 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I work in center city Philadelphia and got pulled aside yesterday walking to lunch by a local TV reporter for a "man on the street interview" about the Eagles QB controversy. The reporter asked me: "ARe you a football fan?" I said "yes". He then asked: "Are you and Eagles fan?" I said: "No. I grew up in Maryland and I am a Redskins fan." You should have seen the reporters expression! He then asked what I thought about McNabb as a Redskin. I said I was very happy the Eagles traded him and especially liked his 400-plus yards passing on Sunday. Eagles fans may burn down my house now but it was a fun conversation for me!

Posted by: manlius1 | September 21, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

wtg manlius1!

Pretty weird Ron Mexico is the man up there...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 21, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Portis had some great years, but now it is a "Jason Campbell" situation in that CP needs to have wide lanes, all blockers lined up, and everything in the running game working perfectly around him in order to carry the ball more than 5 yards.

If things are not lined up perfectly around him it's 3 yards and down - doesn't matter if first contact comes from a would-be tackler or a blocker that he runs into.

This is very different from the Portis we were used to who would shed tacklers, cut-back, bounce it outside, etc. etc. Find a way to get something out of the carry no matter what was happening in front of him.

Posted by: p1funk | September 21, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

CP prob shouldn't have played in the preseason.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 9:40 AM

Co-Sign.

And let's see what happens after Dock is replaced for good. Rabach is a 1/2 year stop gap. And RG is still TBD for the long run..........

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

That's a cool story, manlius1.

It got me thinking about our game against Philly and what a shame it'd be when McNabb comes out of the tunnel and gets booed by Eagles fans. That'd show you just how stupid Philly fans are... I hope Eagles fans prove me wrong and show some class.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 21, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 21, 2010 9:20 AM |

Not unhinged at all beep. ITA is my plan for the day. Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why some posters get a free pass on their inappropriate postings though.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 6:49 AM |

Whateves Mr. "He started it." I grew tired of poopy's "crap" long ago. That didn't stop me from burying the hatchet with him so we could actually have some intelligent (or at least semi intelligent) conversation concerning things such as football, music, geography, etc. My point wasn't that you were at fault only that you keep egging it on which is just as bad. I was hoping to appeal to your intellectual side for the sake of the blog. A blog war is one thing, a blog war that drags on ad nauseum while adding no humor or comedic value to said blog and is ridiculously repetitive is quite another. And now I will certainly "leave you alone" because I grow weary of conversing with one who is so obviously incapable of getting it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Pretty weird Ron Mexico is the man up there...

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 21, 2010 9:53 AM

I know...especially in that racist ass town...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News:
REDSKINS PLAN TO TRADE HAYNESWORTH FOR SWEDISH KICKER

ASHBURN, VA -- Sensing a need to improve the distance and accuracy of its punting and place kicking games, the Washington Redskins have reportedly invited Swedish Premier League soccer star Hamm Samvitch to try out for the NFL team roster.

In exchange, the Stockholm Stompers are being offered a seasonal loan of disgruntled Washington defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth and cash considerations.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 21, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

CP prob shouldn't have played in the preseason.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I don't necessarily agree with that. He was in good shape, so he din't need the playing time for that, but with the Oline being 3/5's new, he needs to continue to work on the chemistry of the running game and get the timing of the cuts with the Oline.

Clinton is still a tough runner, I'm not giving up on him yet. I chalk up last year to bad Oline play and him getting the concussion, as well as not playing in good shape.

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

I hope Eagles fans prove me wrong and show some class.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 21, 2010 10:03 AM

These guys booed Santa Claus. You'd be better off hoping for a unicorn to fly outta Andy Reid's butt...

I've always said: karma alone will ensure that city never sees a SB victory...NEVER...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | September 21, 2010 10:03 AM

The fan reaction at the game will prob be mixed...it may sway depending on what Kolb/Vick do this weekend...but I'm thinking a majority of Philly fans miss McNabb...and they should want to prove everyone wrong about their past with McNabb and show aome class...but I really don't think they are that smart.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

He then asked what I thought about McNabb as a Redskin.

4-way I-95 phone conference call:

Andy Reid: 400 yards passin', no runnin' game? And you lost? Sounds familiar to the folk sin Bucks County.

Ha!--you're done, Donnie!

McNabb: So you beat the Lions.

Next, you'll brag about losing your virginity because your mom gave you head.

Mike Vick: I got yo' team, my jigga!

And your center says my fingers are longer than yours when I take the snap from behind.

McNabb: Really?

Well, Jim Mora's dad asks if Mike Vick prefers killing dogs or coaches.

I'll see you at the Linc on October 3rd, homie!

'Cuz that's the day Andy Reid will be put in a box!

Kevin Kolb: Hey guys, can I get in on the conversation...

(phone line goes dead)

Guys...is anyone there?

I have something funny to say, too.

Thing is, I don't remember what it was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Between Portis, Johnson and Caveman, we're gonna need all new RB's next year. Haven't seen anything special from Williams, but maybe he's got something.

Nobody in that group is a threat to take t to the house. At least Portis is still a monster blocking.

Need some speed. Need some Power.

...and Dockery is the wrong kind of Guard for Shanny's scheme. We're just trying to get through this season with him.

The game against the Texans made it all clear. We are very competitive, but we have no depth and we still have a couple of starting positions at both sides of the ball that don't have the right guy in there. (Dockery, Carter, week/no FS, week at RB, blocking TE inactive, no depth anywhere on the O line, NT, etc...)

Got a little more drafting and signing to do next year. But it does look like we are on our way.

Posted by: edvar | September 21, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Vic1's fake breaking news post

Posted by: RedDMV | September 21, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's rapid descent continues:

Posted by: swowra

Jim Zorn is too busy teaching Flacco how to get his a$$ up in the air prior to the snap. To him thats the most important part of quarterbacking.

Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 21, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

That didn't stop me from burying the hatchet with him so we could actually have some intelligent (or at least semi intelligent) Poop conversation concerning things such as football(which players poop their pants), music(mixing farts in songs), geography (Jamaica is the Poop capital of the world), etc (all topics poop).

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I put forth the proposition yesterday that we should move Portis to fullback cuz dude can block. he just can't seem to do much else. Of course, what's the likelyhood of covincing him to do that? Zero.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget, they also thru Snow Balls at Santa! The only stupid place that puts a limit on how many beer you can buy AND has a prison in the stadium! F Philly.

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:15 AM

Oh monkster...that one flew right over yer head...I'll get it for you!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:09 AM |

Whatever scamp. I hear what you have to say and I'm in full ITA mode today. Also, if you read any of my post today you'll notice I'm here to talk football. I can only hope that the poster you referred to will do the same, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. If not, I can only hope you mediate and call his ass on the floor.

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Did I miss something? That's what I get for buttin into someone else's conversation, sorry guys. Timeout in the penalty box???

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to get hess out of ITA mode today...sometime after lunch...book it!

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:26 AM |

Nicely done !

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:34 AM

Haha...no...I just mentioned that CP should have sat out preseason and you got all up in arms.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:26 AM

I tend to stay away from all topics that are poop related. You may miss the actual conversations as we are West Coasters so they take place a little later blog time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Ouch. from MSN NFL ranking chart.

27. Oakland Raiders (No. 31; 1-1): Even JaMarcus Russell lasted longer than Jason Campbell.

Posted by: demonj21 | September 21, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Watch the clip of Portis flying past Fred Davis on his 62 yard reception and tell me Portis doesn't have burst when he wants to:

Unfortunately, he seems to lose it when he's asked to burst through a hole.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, he seems to lose it when he's asked to burst through a hole.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2010 10:43 AM |

Do you guys think CP is gun shy nowadays ?

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Did I??? I didn't know it came across as 'up in arms'. I'll try to keep it around the legs or somewhere close next time. Thanks for getting it for me!

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The Day's Oddest Headline:

Military’s Gay Ban Repeal Faces Filibuster

pink soldier: You heard me, private.

I ordered you to put your weapon in my foxhole!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys think CP is gun shy nowadays ?

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:48 AM

The thought of one hit to the head and you're done for good has to be on his mind you would think...but that has always been the case in football. Maybe all the talk and all the docs have him thinking about it more now.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, he seems to lose it when he's asked to burst through a hole.

Posted by: psps23 | September 21, 2010 10:43 AM

A) That's what she said.

B) I think part of the problem is he doesn't have any holes to run through. We can talk all day and night about how he's not as fast as he was or not as good...at the end of the day, when there's just a random jumble of bodies in front of you, you're not going anywhere even if you're a stud runner in your prime.

I'll believe Portis is done when I see open lanes that he's either missing or physically unable to take advantage of. I just don't think we can accurately evaluate him until the O-line gets its act together.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Zorn's rapid descent continues:

Posted by: swowra

Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 21, 2010 10:23 AM
------------------------------------------
Just throw practice pads at him, coach, that'll fix him.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | September 21, 2010 10:49 AM

Ok...you're right monk...you weren't up in arms...but you did disagree to my sarcastic comment haha...let's move on and see how we can get hessone all wound up today.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Do you guys think CP is gun shy nowadays ?

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:48 AM

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Hadn't really thought about this. Didn't his concussion hit last year happen at the moment he got to the hole?

Dude's definitely bringing it with the blocking, but there's a difference between delivering the hit and taking the hit.

Posted by: manifested | September 21, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

brown, the new season of The Office starts this week....

bears....beets....battlestar galactica..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 21, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 10:28 AM
-----------------------------------------
Portis can pass block. He doesn't carry a big enough load to run block.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 21, 2010 10:22 AM

Good Stuff!

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Re:CP and stumbling

It is his upper body lean and his feet not staying under him. but only when he cuts or shimmys. He has two hands over the ball like when running through the line, but he does it in open space.

Try it yourself, fold your hands across your chest and trying juking while running full speed.

You need your arms for balance in those situations. I guess he does it for funble reasons. he either has to take his foot off the accelerator when making the cut or hold the ball with one arm...

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 10:59 AM

I'm thinking the same thing...at least right now. That first down run late in the dallas game...he looked confused...like "wow where the hell did that hole come from!"

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I know Greg...can't wait! Just happy to have new episodes of all my TV shows. New Family Guy coming up on Sunday, I believe...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the running game:
I think someone has figured out one of the offensive linemen is showing when they are going to run. It is probably just a foot placement thing, or getting lower in their stance kind of thing. Maybe it is just when Dockery is in, it’s a running play and when Lichenshrubbery is in, it’s a passing play. Something is telling the defense when the run is coming. I’d bet my last dollar on it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 10:33 AM |

Trust me, if you ITA he will leave well enough alone. it's like the little kid on the playground, if he doesn't get a reaction then it's no fun. And yes, good football related convo. Having said that, I do agree that AC is outta position. He doesn't fit a 3-4. You mentioned the question "Why do coaches ply people out of position?" The answer here is that for the time being we don't have a choice. We can't replace the whole team in one offseason so we're stuck with a bunch of players that aren't ideal. That will change over time. The coaches are bound and determined to switch to a 3-4 so we must endure for the time being. Personally I believe in the long run it will benefit the team with improved flexibility, disguising, and turnovers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the running game:

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 21, 2010 11:10 AM

Maybe McNabb has a tell?

No running game in Philly, now no running game here.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 21, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs1 | September 21, 2010 11:06 AM |

At this point, getting out of bed is good enough for me !

Posted by: hessone | September 21, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Portis was lightning quick when he played with the Broncos. He was built similarly to Javid Best back then. He bulked up under Gibbs and lost his quickness. His game is more like Willis McGehee (sp?) or Ernest Byner now. From now on the best he can be is a Terry Allen type slashing runner.

Posted by: coparker5 | September 21, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

LarryWeisman
Clinton Portis weekly radio show taking place now. Sez rotation of o-linemen "shocked me ... caught me off guard

Rich_Campbell
Portis on running woes: "Being that we lost, you’ve got to find something to blame it on."
1 minute ago via TweetDeck

john_keim
CP: "Right now, it's just growing pains. "
less than 10 seconds ago via web

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 21, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Maybe McNabb has a tell?

No running game in Philly, now no running game here.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 21, 2010 11:13 AM

McNabb didn't have a run game in Philly because they didn't WANT to run, not because they COULDN'T...we'll get the ground game fixed, it's just gonna take some time.

Hopefully, that time comes Sunday after 4 pm...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 21, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

--- While I don't think either side wants to kill the Goose-That-Layed-The-Golden-Egg , it seems clear that the Owners 'aint playin around -- they exorcised their option to end the last CBA early , so I suspect that means they're willing to do what it takes to crush the players-union (not necessarily kill it, just make it their b**ch) , and lets face it they're probably better set for an extended lock-out that the players are .... Why they decided the old CBA was unfair to their poor rich selves I dont know , maybe it's as much about the most profitable teams (Dallas & Washington for example) trying to avoid sharing more of their booty with the less profitable ones , than it is about the players .... But whatever , don't be surprised if it gets old-school ugly (aint nothing meaner or more stubborn than old rich guys protecting their turf) ---

Posted by: RoidRage | September 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse