Waiting for WR Picture to Come Into Focus

As organized team activities come to a close, one position still surrounded by question marks and yet undoubtedly crucial to the success of Jim Zorn's offense in its second year is wide receiver.

The Redskins hope someone can step into the No. 2 receiver spot and provide quality production to help ease the pressure on Santana Moss, who faced countless double teams last year with no true threat opposite him, and there are a number of players on the roster fighting to fill that role.

Second-year receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly must have more of an impact after disappointing rookie seasons. And quarterback Jason Campbell said yesterday there are some new faces that also have an opportunity to make an impact this season.

"Roydell Williams came in from the Tennessee Titans, he's an experienced guy," Campbell said, citing Williams' success with the Titans in 2007 when he caught 55 passes for 719 yards and four touchdowns before hurting his foot. "He's fast, he can run, he can catch the ball real well in short areas, so I think he's a guy with a great opportunity to make the team. There are some other guys, [Marko] Mitchell, we drafted late in the seventh round, he's a guy that's got strong hands. But it's all about learning for him at this standpoint."

While the receivers will be under the microscope, the pressure for improvement also exists for the entire offense. The unit lagged last season in Zorn's first year at the helm, finishing in the bottom half of the league in total offense (19th), passing yards (23rd) and scoring (28th).

"Last year on the offensive side of the ball it was their first year together as a coaching staff and putting plays together," Campbell said. "And now they have a better understanding of each other and we have a better understanding of them and we're all more on the same page. So what that can do for us this year is hopefully turn out to put more points on the scoreboard. I don't think yardage was the problem in certain games last year, us getting yards; it was scoring more points in the red zone. So that's something we have to do this year is score more in the red zone and put more points on the board."

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 10, 2009; 4:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brennan Seeks Balance with His Style of Play
Next: Landry Takes Field for Final OTA

Comments

It's me beeoytches.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

WRs were a problem, though I suspect as a unit, they'll be better this year. Not great, but better.

Of course, the bigger issue is whether Campbell will have time to throw the ball. Still can't believe the FO didn't draft a single OL. Mind numbing

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

We had a hole to fill at Linebacker & Linebacker & Linebacker

Posted by: alex35332 | June 10, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the LASIK supposed to help Devin Thomas' picture to come into focus?

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The 'skins inability to find, draft, or develop a #2 WR at this point is straight laughable.

Someone needs to step up this traing camp and offseason and TAKE the spot.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Even though a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, I'm willing to put my faith in the two bush birds (Roydell Williams and Marko Mitchell) over BOTH of the hand birds (Thomas and Kelly). Maybe Kelly survives for another year if he makes it to the IR.

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

um, training? yea there we go trey-ning

Where were you blogger that s**t his pants due to my f'd up grammar and spelling, I forget your name.

There's at least one in this very post.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey.. Down there... burp...soul seems okay from here...

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

John_Cork_Madden, I missed the appearance ... are you former RedDMV?

I agree about someone just taking the #2 job. Its been held open for last year's pass catchers. I had Roydell Williams on a fantasy team a couple of years ago and he did me just fine. [Frankly, if one of those four doesn't take the job, can we still get Ron Curry in for a test? He was another solid for me ... even on the Raiders.]

Posted by: dcsween | June 10, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

it won't take much to upgrade from the two headed monster that was James Thrash and Devin Thomas

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I tend to think that with some young WR's, as with some young QB's, you just have to get them into the game and accept that they will make mistakes. Let them learn on the job. Waiting until a guy is nailing every route 100% in practice could take awhile and make it that much harder to develop playmaking abaility at game speed.

DeSean had his share of bonehead plays for the Iggles but he had plenty of highlight reel material too.

If Thrash retires it could be a blessing in disguise, forcing the coaches to start one of these kids. Although it's just as likely they would turn to Roydell...

Posted by: McMetal | June 10, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

anybody else notice this blog has gotten 1000X better with JLC gone?

Posted by: poconnor | June 10, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Why did I see this picture and immediately thought of Krang from the TMNT cartoon from back in the day -- early 90's I believe, and if it was on sooner, I don't/can't remember.

Man, that took me back... I mean, Bee Bop & Rocksteady and what not.

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

anybody else notice this blog has gotten 1000X better with JLC gone?

Posted by: poconnor

Its the lack of anonymous sources familiar with situations who request anonymity.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 10, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

yep, that's me, RedDMV. chrislarry spas'd on Cork yesterday and called him John "Cork" Madden - I liked the name, asked for copyrighting privilages, he said "cool", and I'ma using it for the rest of the week.

Boood Li - you gotta prablem wit dat?

Posted by: John_Cork_Madden | June 10, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Its the lack of inane hamsters hammering JLC.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

anybody else notice this blog has gotten 1000X better with JLC gone?

Posted by: poconnor

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 10, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

And the absence of gratuitous out-of-place shots at the FO. Had JLA been writing this entry, it would probably read like this:

"Second-year receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly - who were drafted by Vinny Cerratto in case anyone forgot - must have more of an impact after disappointing rookie seasons."

Posted by: p1funk | June 10, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

WAAAh!! reality is scarcity, created by smellites..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

None of the this matters is the O-Line is no good

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

You can have another year in the system, Thomas and/or Kelley and some of these others can step up, but like another poster just said it's going to all hinge on the performance of our OLine.

The fact that the OLine was the main reason for the offensive collapse last year and the fact that it wasn't addressed in the draft completely boggles the mind that a FO can be that inept. Other than the aquisition of Dockery we still have an OLine that is very shakey on the right side.
The other free agents, castoffs, and projects that this FO have assembled, it's almost like grasping for straws, and wishing upon a star. I hope it all works out. If the OLine is squared away, I think the emergence of another WR or two, another year for Campbell in this system, should eke us out 2 more victories than last year, giving us 10 wins, hopefully getting us into the playoffs.

Posted by: 72Redskins | June 10, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

Commence...Operation...Get Flamed by Redskins Outsider Trolls...

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 10, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard if there's been an update in Trash's health?

Posted by: clark202 | June 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

None of the this matters is the O-Line is no good

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 10, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Agreed that things hinge primarily on the Oline.

However, I think when we are down in the redzone around the goal line, our glaring lack of WR playmakers becomes a bigger issue than the O-line.

Posted by: p1funk | June 10, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps because Dan and Vinnie's crony's won't be posting here as often is why we are seeing the flurry of comparatively continuous new posts...

Mayhap few at the Post wanted to get in the firing line between Dan and his stooges and Jason La Canfora?

A pretty huge feud with Cerrato using his radio station as a platform from which to denigrate Jason's articles.

Posted by: periculum | June 10, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The O-line is a huge question mark. One that is not going to be answered this year without another free agent signing or two.

Posted by: periculum | June 10, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, I count nearly 30 OL players on the roster, counting Center and TEs.

If nothing else Buges will have some options.

I suspect we'll see some surprise when it's time to trim the roster.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike Sellers
Todd Yoder
James Thrash
Fred Davis
Todd Collins
Renaldo Wynn
Marcus Mason

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Ross Tucker has a column on SI.com today looking at the relative success of small receivers vs bigger ones in the last couple draft classes. He makes the same points we've seen made here -- that the big guys take longer to develop, so going into this coming season, we should expect more from Maclin and Harvin than people like Ramses Barden. Nobody he talked to had much of a theory about why, except that perhaps big guys didn't know how to handle NFL jams while littler folks were able to rely on their quicks. Tucker goes on to acknowledge that the best WRs in the game today -- Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson -- are tall strong guys, so it's more a question of how fast the WR pays dividends rather than a real difference in ability.

So maybe we shouldn't rush to judgment. Eddie Royal thought he, DeSean Jackson, and Avery benefited from the situation they found themselves in, and there's merit to that argument, too.

But as to how the Skins 3 second round receivers will do this coming season -- your guess is as good as mine.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

"Waiting for WR Picture to Come Into Focus..."

Come into focus?

Doubt it.

But I would like to be mildly surprised.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

redskin72: "The fact that the OLine was the main reason for the offensive collapse last year and the fact that it wasn't addressed in the draft completely boggles the mind that a FO can be that inept."

The second part is established fact -- the FO didn't draft any O-linemen -- but the first isn't. I've yet to see any convincing argument that the offense 'collapsed' or that the 'main reason' was the offensive line. I've heard it asserted time and time again, but as opinion. If somebody would like to take it on themselves to prove that point, I'd love to see it.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that last years group are seeing some tough competition. We have some big'uns and some quick'un on the roster that is for sure.

Come to think of it, ARE may be OUT.

Santana is in his 9th year and even great ones don't last forever. So, D Thomas can't just be the guy to complement Santana, we need to be grooming the guy who will ultimately replace him.

Yes, it sounds like heresy. But it's the facts of life.

U2 CP.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

You know what I hate about this thread. Every time I look at the top of it, there is the ad for the Lacrosse Championships in 2010. I'm still trying to recover from what happened to my Big Red 2 weeks ago. No need to remind me. Siggghhhhhhhhh

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

You can't blame it all on the o-line. Steelers o-line sucked last year and they won the championship. Play-calling is going to have to improve and Campbell is gonna have to be more aggressive. Would Campbell have even attempted the TD pass that won the superbowl last year? He probably would have checked-down and settled for over-time.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 10, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

periculum, you are either a proper punk rocker who doesn't get up until after 2, or you are waking up in Guam..Electric Ladyland still a classic, as is Electric Larryland, like some of the new Dylan, will purchase, rogerout..

Posted by: frak | June 10, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Good thoughts by Tucker. What he didn't say is that the big receivers are more important to a team's success. Possession WRs get slammed for being possession receivers (none more than Art Monk), but they are more important to winning than the quicker, smaller WRs.

I would buy into the idea that quick WRs develop sooner at the NFL level. A big WR is a highly skilled position and does need to be learned. RB is one of the positions where rookies often thrive -- its more instinctive. The same might be true for quick WRs. I'll go with that theory for now.

Overall, small quick WRs are great to have. Santana Moss is our most important player* and, when healthy, he is among the very best of the small/quick WRs in football.

But the 'move the chains' players are what gets the 1st downs that creates the big play opportunities. Plus, the big guys are the ones that catch the balls in the end zone. I did a bunch of analysis on this when looking at Art Monk his HOF path. Simply put, the WRs on championship teams overwhelmingly looked a lot more like Art Monk than Santana Moss.

*if you doubt this, think that a 3 wide set without Moss would have been ARE, Thomas and Thrash. In other words, the defense could rush 7 guys without much risk)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

2nd

Posted by: liasdavis | June 10, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Wow what a pleasure it is to read this blog now.....Seesm to be focusing on the team and team news etc etc...NICE....Finally no doom and gloom every other day!

Posted by: leevi98 | June 10, 2009 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | June 10, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Come on peri...it's not that bad. Hell you couldn't block your away out of nursury School! So why should we listen to you? lol

You know i'm teasing ya right?

Posted by: leevi98 | June 10, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Of course I spelled nursery wrong so what do i know either! LOL

Posted by: leevi98 | June 10, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Peri may be right depending upon which offensive linemen get released.

But they've already got a few FAs signed that can contribute, if only to the depth chart.

Questions:
7) Will Stephon Heyer start?
@)And what of Chad Rinehart?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | June 10, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

On big vs. small WRs:

I think an argument can be made that small WRs have to learn the skill aspect of their positions in order to be successful earlier in their playing days - particularly in college.

Big WRs can typically rely on their raw athleticism and size to make plays, especially at the college level. (See Devin Thomas). Thus, there is no real need/incentive for them to fine tune other aspects of their position - especially things like precision route-running and learning how to get seperation from DBs off the line of scrimmage.

In the NFL, the athleticism advantage gets diminished somewhat and the game becomes more cerebral.

I think, also, that if you are physically bigger, you tend to be clumsier than a smaller guy. The speed/precision aspects of the NFL game may be a little harder to adjust to.

Posted by: p1funk | June 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I love Moss but this team needs to get bigger at the wide receiver position. Teams have figured they can run two-deep with the guy under bumping at the line and Moss and El are small enough that they get hammered. It just gives the d-line an extra second to get to the QB. Last season - I forget the game - Devin Thomas was called for offensive pass interference or something lame like that because he was facing the same thing: guys playing aggressive bump and run. Thomas is big enough that he should be able to run through it, and this is why I like him at number two this year. I like the end around and the reverse using Moss and Thomas. I think Thomas can be a decent run blocker as well. I heard he has been a workout warrior and I think he's ready to be an NFL player. If Kelly stays healthy I would bring him out just in red zone packages where Campbell can throw jump balls to him. I wouldn't use him too much because of the knee. I think Thrash is done and Roydell Williams will be on the roster along with ARE. The undrafted free agents might hang around on the developmental roster unless they can show some ability on punt returns, but I don't see them bumping anyone because of their wide receiving abilities.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 10, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

"Would Campbell have even attempted the TD pass that won the superbowl last year? He probably would have checked-down and settled for over-time."

And here is where the dividing line between successful and unsuccessful-journeymen-like NFL quarterbacks is drawn.

If Jason Campbell is to earn his next contract, he has to trust his receivers to make plays.

NFL wideouts often make catches with a hand in their face or a cornerback fighting right along with them to make a catch.

Last year, it looked like Campbell was playing not to throw interceptions when the occassional forced pass has just go to happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

stumped, I was with ya right up until the word after "Peri may be ".
I mean, he states:
The O-line is a huge question mark.
In truth, it looks more like an exclamation point, particularly with Mike Williams at one end.

In truth, it will be answered this year with or without additional signings. Peri might not like the answer, but the answer will arrive.

Posted by: daggar | June 10, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

and don't get me started on the semantics of whether you can answer a "question mark".

Posted by: daggar | June 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

"...anybody else notice this blog has gotten 1000X better with JLC gone?"

My take on the alleged 'improved tone' to RI is unlike most.

To me, Jaon Canfora was just a dude doing a job where he had a lot of freedom to say what he thought.

And it seems that redskins fans didn't want anyone to notice that despite all the FO's manicial, money-driven meanderings, the owner hasn't brought a title or NFC Championship game to town.

So they prefer dissing a news reporter for highligthing the obvious: that's a fair game.

But what's true about the redskins' franchise does deserve careful, objective analysis: and real fans want that as much wins on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 10, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Campbell did what the coaches wanted him to do. Play smart. Every coach knows the #1 statistical determinant of who wins is turnovers.

The scenario that is usually successful is a good QB that doesn't make turnovers combined with a very good defense -- you should win lots.

Problem was that the defense was 30th in getting turnovers and we fumbled a bit more than average. So despite Campbell's effectiveness -- fewest INT's in the league -- the Skins were merely even on turnovers for the year.

If Campbell had 'Cutler-like' numbers, we would have been around -12 in turnovers for the year -- and probably had a losing record.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Moe, that sounds like a bit of conjecture about JC 17. Trust, much like respect, has to be earned.

I do think this will be the debate all off-season: It's the O-line, no it's the receivers, no it's the QB.

Posted by: edvar | June 10, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, meant "O-line is a mess"

D'oh!

Posted by: edvar | June 10, 2009 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 9:49 PM

Using the same logic, if the broncos had the skins D, they would have run away with their division.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Roethlisberger's pass was a high/wide throw to the corner of the end-zone.

Either Holmes would catch it or no one would.

It wasn't forced into coverage. It was the kind of "safe" throw that QBs are taught to make on routes like that.

Posted by: p1funk | June 10, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

edvar, what was Duke Robinson gonna do for the Skins this year if he was drafted in the 5th?

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Here's what Tucker went on to say about big vs small:

"None of the receivers I spoke with had a good explanation, so I asked somebody on the other side of the ball, someone who has to cover these guys for a living -- Bills cornerback Terrence McGee. "Royal and Jackson are quick and fast and it is hard to stay with them in open space," he said. "For the most part it is harder for me to go against the shiftier, quicker guys. I can't even get a hand on [them] sometimes. The bigger guys usually just try to muscle you."

Successfully, I might add. Among the great bigs in today's game are Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. Anquan Boldin's a big guy and even though they're supposedly tight ends, Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates are in there to catch balls, not block.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

"[Roethlisberger's Super Bowl winning throw] wasn't forced into coverage. It was the kind of "safe" throw that QBs are taught to make on routes like that.It was a nice throw and a nice catch, but there was nothing about it that risked "turnover".Posted by: p1funk"

That's a good point. It wasn't quite a red zone dink, but Pittsburgh wasn't risking an INT. Ben just placed it well and Holmes made a terrific reception. It was far less spectacular than the Tyree reception the year before.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

"Personally, I think I line is a mess filled with "hope so's". Still can't believe we took some nobody LB over Duke Robinson on the board in the 5th round. Just dumb...
Posted by: edvar"

On talent alone, he looks like a steal, but Duke's a really big slow guy who should go to a running team. Zorn wants pass blockers above all.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:21 PM |

When did you plan on rebuilding this heap?

I still think he could be a starter this year. Maybe not September, but either way, we desperately need depth.

Posted by: edvar | June 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

When did you plan on rebuilding this heap?

Posted by: edvar | June 10, 2009 10:29 PM

Everywhere I have read, this was not a good draft for OL outside of the first RD. I think Buges liked what he has in young talent over what was available after rd one. If the Skins had a 2nd rd pick, then I could see us drafting and OL, but not after that pick.

No way Robinson would have started this year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

and = an...

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Mista, looks like the Sox have the Yanks # so far this year. Good game regardless (or irregardless?).

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Look, when I brought Duke in for a workout, I noticed a little hitch in his giddyup [that's what we scouts call it], and I had to drop him down on the big board.
His footwork was sloppy too -- kept stepping on my feet during the salsa.

Posted by: daggar | June 10, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 10, 2009 9:49 PM

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 10, 2009 10:00 PM
========================================

While I applaud the RI community whenever logic is attempted, I question whether this is "the same logic".

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.

Until she had the operation and became your aunt.

There, now we're talking the same logic.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 10, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

When I was in OCS at Ft. Benning, GA, in the summer of '66, a Major kept saying "irregardless" over and over in one of his lectures.

One of my buds raised his hand, and when called on said, "Sir, there is no such word as 'irregardless'. It's a harmless redundancy, but nonetheless, the word is 'regardless'.

We all crawled the sewage creek that evening in starched fatigues.

Sigh... I miss the good ol' dayz...

Posted by: RedskinWillie | June 10, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

The point is we should have been rebuilding the O line starting two years ago, and then this year, and then next...

We have to get serious about that ticking bomb. And dragging in a bunch of cast-offs and "hope so's" looks desperate to me.

Posted by: edvar | June 10, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

We have some young OL talent, maybe not first round talent, but we have a 3rd rounder that may have a better year this year than last.

Keep in mind one thing that Zorn said (and this goes for our young pass catchers as well), that he was coaching his coaches as well as his team. If the coaches did not get it last year, then let's give our players a break as well.

I am a glass is half full kind of guy (maybe the glass is too big?) but I think we will be OK in the OL and WR this year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 11, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

ifthe, once my aunt is my aunt, she will always be my aunt, operation or not. She will then be my aunt with balls now.

My logic is that if you move Cutler to the Skins is no different than moving our defense to the broncos offense. Cutler with our offense may not be better than JC, but the broncos' offense with our defense would be better.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 11, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 11, 2009 12:13 AM |
==========================================
But that was not zcezcest1's logic.

He was saying Cutler's turnovers offset whatever else he had that was better than Campbell, so we would have been NO better having Cutler here.

That was my invitation to be a wise ass, and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | June 11, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

I hear you thunder, and I may be like the Iraq with no maps...my take was that Cutler is not better or worse than Cutler is. It all comes down to the rest of the team around him. Same for JC.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 11, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

I hope the glass is half full. I hope the WR's step up this year and begin their ascent to becoming starters. I hope some of those O-line prospects pay-off. I hope Campbell pulls it together and delivers a great season.

I hope...

And that 3rd round draft pick O-lineman from last year f@ckin better have a "better year than last year" - he didn't play a minute the whole season because "he didn't have the confidence". Put in a fresh pad and get out there kid!

Posted by: edvar | June 11, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417

Yes, but the worst team in the Beast had the same record as the winner in the AFC West. Running away with a sucky division doesn't mean you are a good team.

Cutler threw 12 more picks than Campbell. The Skins were even on turnovers for the year. What if they were between -6 and -12?

The teams between -6 and -12 were:
Vikes, Seahawks, Jags, Bills, Lions, Texans and cowboys. On average, 6 wins.

The Skins were best in the league on not tossing INTs. In the rest of the turnover categories, they were in the lower half of the league. They offense was 20th in fumbling. On D, they were 30th in fumble recoveries and 19th in INTs.

If Campbell had been tossing INTs, even if sometimes he'd succeeded, the Skins record would have been worse.

... now ... if you want to make the argument that Zorn should have encouraged Campbell to throw into tight spots to help him develop as a passer, I wouldn't disagree. But it wasn't the best path to wins.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2009 3:11 AM | Report abuse

"Zorn may want pass blockers above all, but he's gonna learn a hard lesson about power running when it's December and we have to go play in the Meadowlands or Philly or even DC where it's 38 degrees and pouring rain, and need a win to get to the tournament.Posted by: edvar"

What tournament?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

"if you want to make the argument that Zorn should have encouraged Campbell to throw into tight spots to help him develop as a passer, I wouldn't disagree. But it wasn't the best path to wins.Posted by: zcezcest1"

Well-argued. It was a strange season. A veteran team gets a new coach with a rep for offensive creativity and winds up playing conservative, defensive football. And the results weren't bad; with a few breaks, the team could easily have won ten games and wound up in the playoffs.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. Still, this was a solid offensive club that didn't score anywhere near the number of TDs you'd expect, and a very effective defense that somehow couldn't pressure the QB.

Worst part is, when you go to 'fix' these problems, you know that something quite different could go wrong this season.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 6:50 AM | Report abuse

I think, and maybe this is me being a glass half-full kind of guy, but I think that Thomas, and Kelly will show marked improvement. Thomas has spend considerable time at the park working on stuff, and for the time being Kelly is healthy, and feels good.

moe, Phil Hughes in the pen, is like me as a male model, it just makes no sense. He's much to good to be coming out of the pen. He needs to take Wangs spot in the rotation. Wang...not sure what you do with him, how about if we ship you Julio Lugo, and you ship us Wang??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Good story by Les Carpenter on Dominique Dorsey. You gotta root for Dorsey to light it up in training camp. After I read these kind of stories it makes me gag to read about Laron Landry and his attitude problems. One guy will do anything for a chance and the other has it handed to him on a platter but knocks the platter out of the hand of the people offering it to him.

Can't wait for training camp to see if Dorsey can run with the big boys in the NFL and to see whether Landry can get out of the hole that he's dug for himself.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

bean

I don't care who's pitching for the Yanks right now, Boston just simply has their number.

Both teams are simply fighting not to be the Wild Card as its obvious that one of them will represent the AL this Fall in World Series.

Right now, the Sawx look like that team.

Yes: Hughes should start.

No: Wang will go to the pen--he's not going to get traded. He'll get it right during spring training next year.

TheRealTruth: Supporting Terry Francona, trading for Beckett, Lowell, and Jason Bay, while in JD Drew proves that Theo Epstein is worth every nickle, penny, and dime he's being paid.

Francona is one of the best team coaches/managers that no one talks about: and didja ever notice the good ones hardly every are talked about?

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

If Thomas can get through a game without getting a pass interference on himself that will be a marked improvement, as for Kelly if he see the field that will be a marked improvement. Although i do like Roydell W. he could make some things happen

Posted by: Stu27 | June 11, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"Zorn (is) gonna learn a hard lesson about power running when it's December and we have to go play in the Meadowlands or Philly or even DC where it's 38 degrees and pouring rain"

This is a tired theme.

Folks say, "Ya gotta have a monster running game in the cold of the NFC East."

Plax, Eli, and a lucky helmet catch won the jints their title and got them to the game to get it.

The iggles have gone to a Super Bowl, multiple NFC Championship games, the playoffs in general with what is basically a passing team.

Quick: name the 230 running back who gets yards for the iggles.

There is no 'heavy jumbo' formation in Andy Reid's playbook. For him, it's all about depending on McNabb to get the ball to dependable guys who make plays.

And there is where Zorn is with Campbell: can he depend on him to get the ball to theguys who'll move the chains and make plays--no matter the weather.

This Fall, we'll see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm liking John "Cork" Madden....As for what's up today, it's the last OTA and we'll see what's happening if the storms hold off long enough to get practice in. I'll be going on vacation starting tomorrow, but I'll be back up here occasionally and will be on twitter because, face it, I don't know how to quit you guys. JReid is waiting the birth of his daughter, so he'll be off for a bit. Paul Tenorio will keep you guys in fresh woodchips.
On another matter, we had a nice cake for La Canfora yesterday in the office and you should know that we had it inscribed "Congratulations Jasno." You cannot believe how difficult it was to get Whole Fuds to spell it that way.

Posted by: CindyBoren | June 11, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Ok, here's the situation...

(My Parents went a way on a weeks vacation)

Anyway, The blame is not fully on the rookies. Zorn was instaling a new offense that the coaches AND players were learning together. AT THE SAME TIME. They didn't really have anyone to help them, because they all were trying to get in sync.

Dude from Denver and Philly came into offensive systems that were installed 10+ years ago. So everyone from the coaches to the starters to the back ups to the ball boys could have helped them on the playbook.

Malcom Kelley's year should only be a disappointment because he wasn't able to show his total capabilities at full strength.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

moe, well put, on both accounts.

I'm not sure Wang in the pen would be a good thing, he's just above batting practice at this time. Hughes, he's gonna be a stud. Get him starting, and soon.

the pats have won 3 superbowls in the past what 8 years, and they've done so by passing, and they play in weather worse than what the Redskins play in.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | June 11, 2009 9:04 AM |

That is wonderful! Hat tip (again) to nateinthePDX for that brilliant stroke.

My experience is that Whole Fuds will do anything for money. And, as a shareholder, I hope they do it for a lot of money.

Have a great vacation, Cyndi. Always Boren, never boring.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I think we will see a humonguos difference in Kelly. I love his potential. And if Kelley can get healthy, I see him being the best of the 2 long term.

Add in Rodyell Williams and Sleepy, You'll see why we didn't go Offense in the draft.

And Heyer won't dissapoint either...

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Have fun Cindy! Pass along good luck wishes to Jasno....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

mistamoe: "This is a tired theme.Folks say, "Ya gotta have a monster running game in the cold of the NFC East."

You're absolutely right. Run or pass, you have to have an offense that works, in all the ways you need it to work. That's true in the NFC West as well as the East.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"...went a way on a weeks vacation."
"going on vacation..."
"he'll be back once his vacation ends..."

Pray tell, what is this 'vacation' of which you speak? And how does one obtain it?

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Why is everyone riding Meester Larry,Curly and Moe?

Don't worry Moe, I got your back.

Richard Simmons

Posted by: BingCreole | June 11, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 9:22 AM

First, you have to get a job. Then, speak to your boss. But, without a job, everything is vacation. Or retirement.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else see those big ass rings the Steelers got? Those things are HUGE! If hell freezes over and the Skins actually win a Super Bowl, can you imagine how Danny would hook up a championship ring?!?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren | June 11, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I won't buy it till we get the Dan Steinbog story "Jason LaCanfora going away party FAIL" blog post!

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

can you imagine how Danny would hook up a championship ring?!?

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2009 9:38 AM |

Good thought, brownwood. It would be about as tasteful as a day at Six Flags. I hope I live to see it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

T_E at the rate that this team is going, think you can make it to 130?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

That was a funny photo of Bugel training Mike Williams- he looked like a circus trainer with an elephant!! That dude is humungus!! He;s so big, he's afraid of his own shadow, cuz it looks like a mob comin after him!! If nothing else, he'll make a good wall on wheels over at the LT breech..

Posted by: frak | June 11, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

er, RT..(i got damage)..

Posted by: frak | June 11, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

How is Williams speed? I would almost like to see him line up at MLB from time to timeand just tell him, shoot the gap.

400 lbs of giant coming at a center/guard could do some fun stuff for Big all and the gang.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

T_E at the rate that this team is going, think you can make it to 130?

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 9:53 AM

Even if I can, I doubt that I could truly appreciate the ring's kitschy splendor unless they have a new medication, some sort of viagara for the brain.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Can someone please tell us exactly what JLC will be doing for the NFLN? Since he is staying here he obviously is not going to be an on-air analyst.....

Just curious....

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 11, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Someone last year was complaining that Springs plays the slot and LT plays the slot and now we have no one to play the slot.

Well......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

some sort of viagara for the brain.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Its called a redbull

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Lisa - When have you ever seen Adam Schefter on set in LA. Very Very Rarely...

HE will still have to make business trips. Especially on Game Day, when I am sure they'll park him at a game.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Since he is staying here he obviously is not going to be an on-air analyst.....
Posted by: Lisa_R

Yes because Washington DC doesn't yet have TV cameras or studios or any of that kind of crazy futuristic sci-fi future stuff. Shoot we don't even have electricity and when people from here see a film and a moving train comes towards the screen, the audience freaks out because they think they are about to be killed.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"....we had a nice cake for La Canfora yesterday in the office...it was inscribed "Congratulations Jasno."

Cake?

They had cake.

Did you hear that y'all?

They had cake and didn't share.

Talk about rude. Talk about the decline in the standards of American Journalism.

The newspaper that broke a story with Deep Throat greedily stuffed cake down it's own without offering some to the countless work shirkers who dutifully post all day and keep this RI Nation-blog thing alive.

I betcha The Redskins' Blog owner got his politically correct, family friendly slice.

Redskins' 380 pound tackle Mike Williams wanted some cake up until he heard there was only enough to feed a room full of people.

"That ain't a lot of cake," he complained. "That's just enough to make you want more."

But Chef Moe has taken it upon himself to feed the masses today. Here:

(INSERT image of a smiling, friendly, joke cracking 45 year old blackman in a chef's hat doling out slices of celebratory cake and milk to appreciative RI Nation bloggers.)

I hope that's enough.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I put abour 5% too much sas in my response to Lisa

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I put about 5% too much sass in my response to Lisa

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Like everyone else, I would love to have one guy step up and start opposite Santana, but this post is basically saying there is steep competition for the 5th WR spot. 2 big cap numers + 2 high draft picks= 4 of 5 WR's to make the team. Unfortunately, of the one who wins the 5th spot--Roydell, Marko, Thrash et al, he's most likely only going to see time on special teams...

Posted by: BigE44 | June 11, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

alex

"Shoot we don't even have electricity and when people from here see a film and a moving train comes towards the screen, the audience freaks out because they think they are about to be killed."

LMAO: as the young people say.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

So Laron finally shows up huh? Any idea what the reasons behind his absence are? Any truth to the rumors that he's disgruntled? A little Inside info would be nice here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 11, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

some sort of viagara for the brain.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Its called a redbull

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:06 AM |

"Call your physician immediately if you have a lucid thought for more than four hours as permanent damage could result."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Laron showed up?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

So JLC is Adam Schefter's replacement????

Posted by: Lisa_R | June 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Laron showed up?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2009 10:30 AM

Who did he show up? Horton or Doughty?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

so now landry has an attitude problem? give me a break, people.that young man is a pretty good tackler and I am sure he is working out and perfecting his ball catching skills because he is a pro. give it a rest people! also, this talk about the skins defense being ranked whatever is deceptive, because as i recall opponents were not fearful of our defense. we were not ranked high in defensive turnovers because the coaches knew that in zorn's "don't take any chances offense" the D had to try to keep the games close. blatche deserves a pat on the back for what he did with no pass rush. teams were just looking for jason taylor's toothpick azz to run over him. with guys healthy again, and fat albert in the trenches, we should see remarkable improvement in D turnovers. on offense, I really hope they can protect JC because, on paper, the giants have monster D line and because it is the beast, all teams will be bringing the heat. to me, the key is zorn's play calling, clock mgmt, and special teams consistency. our two biggest weaknesses are the O line and spec teams. HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 10:31 AM |

Give what a rest? Asking simple questions or making unwarranted insinuations about what a question is really supposed to mean?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

why did they ever let pierce go!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

This is what Peter King wrote about Jasno in MMQB:

4. I think I'd like to take this space to wish Jason LaCanfora, ex of the Washington Post, good luck in his new gig as information man for NFL Network. The network got a good man. LaCanfora's a worker bee with a good presence. Now, competing against who he'll have to compete with as a first-year TV guy ... that's going to be rough, and rough might be an understatement.

In Sunday pregame land, Jason's going head-to-head with Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter, who I assume will be on the Sunday morning show (and the rest of the Clayton/Werder/Paolantonio/Nichols team), and then there's scoopman Jay Glazer at Fox, who drops a bomb every week. And I haven't even mentioned Charlie Casserly and his enlightened spot on CBS. I know LaCanfora's work ethic, and whatever they're paying him, he'll earn. But he's got some powerhouses in his way.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Laron showed up?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2009 10:30 AM

Yea, as reported by Matt Terl on the Redskins blog.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 10:31 AM |

If he were a pro, he'd act like a pro and he would be practicing with the other pros.

And when he won't return the coach's phone calls, how can you deny that he has an attitude problem?

Why does everyone make excuses for this guy? He's a talented player who hasn't done squat and is nowhere close to realizing his potential.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

People keep saying that the FO is being foolish, signing these expensive, aged, exciting FA when there is more mundane, but critical areas that need improvement (like the Oline). But in fact, I think the Redskins are following a very specific, secret plan.

Snyder has the largest capacity stadium in the NFL. He is not in a big market area. Plus, he has competition from another NFL team just up the BW Parkway. He needs to fill that stadium, mostly with season tickets that are sold well before the season. He needs an exciting team. His brilliant marketing tricks will only go so far. One way to create fan excitement is to build a good team that frequently makes the playoffs. However, that takes time and effort. And it is risky. There are no guarantees. It is quite possible that even doing all the right things, you might not have a good team to watch and you will have trouble filling that huge stadium.

But there is an alternative way to generate fan enthusiasm that sells tickets. You can create fan excitement and media buzz by signing a known great player. But you have to do it early and you have to do it every year. The loyal fans will always be with you, win or lose. The smart, football-savvy fans interest might be piqued just to see what happens and/or how foolish you are. The average, less knowledgeable, fan will get caught up in the excitement and renew his/her season tickets.

Think about it. Last year they did not sign any expensive players. Why? Because they generated the excitement with the Coach Zorn signing. They did not need to sign an expensive player. This year, Zorn is old news so they went back to their old tried-and-true method with the Haynesworth signing.

Each year in the summer, it seems the Redskins have a championship team on paper, but by December that hope is gone. Just remember that they don't sell tickets in December, they sell them in the summer.

Snyder is a lot smarter than we give him credit for. He did not become a billionaire by throwing his money away and making foolish mistakes.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | June 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Thanks scamp!

Wow, today is the last day of OTA's and then nothing until July 30th......it's going to get pretty boring around here....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

TE, I've got to agree with you. I haven't thought that he's played all that great. Good, but not up to par with where he was drafted. Of course it would be nice to see him in his natural position but you can't always git what you want.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | June 11, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

why did they ever let pierce go!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Psh, I still regret them letting Daryle Green Retire.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,
thanks for fixing the lede on the front page for us. Calling the Holocaust museum a "Monument of Peace" was a top-ten gallingly inappropriate irony.
Is Jasno still answering WaPo mail? I noticed that, in a fit of karmic retribution that combined the best elements of RI, Loseable Type, and Jasno describing his inability to pass ip the nfln, my comment ("fourteenth!") was inadvertently deleted. I'd like to make sure he gets it.

Posted by: daggar | June 11, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Posted by: daggar | June 11, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CindyBoren

WOW!!! Is anyone else shocked that newspaper people can afford to buy their cakes at Whole Fuds? WOW!!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

well talent eval, now that Landry is in camp, maybe you can give him an attitude adjustment.

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

It was a day-old cake and they lopped off "Happy birthday, Johnny" to write "Congratulations Jasno."
I think Jasno's WaPo email has been deleted....I'm sure his nfln address will be up shortly or that you smart guys can figure it out.

Posted by: CindyBoren | June 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 10:38 AM

Gotta let this go T_E...in case you forgot, most up here said the same thing about Sean Taylor. And if I'm not mistaken, Taylor missed some of the mandatory stuff too (league AND team). Landry hasn't missed anything mandatory (to my knowledge) and has played pretty well for this team overall.

If he misses training camp or mandatory workouts, then I'll help you hold the flag on this. Missing OTAs is NOT a big deal.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

point made brownwood 26.HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

16 Eloi, Keith -- camp guy even though his youtube video is pretty cool

80 Hagans, Marques -- camp guy

12 Kelly, Malcolm -- when he gets his knee back together he is going to be a major contributor

84 Mitchell, Marko -- practice squad

89 Moss, Santana -- another 1000 yrd season

82 Randle El, Antwaan -- sounds like he is getting phased out

19 Shelton, Trent -- camp guy

11 Thomas, Devin -- is turning into this decades version of joe howard-johnson but can he turn into a contributor...

83 Thrash, James -- a "true redskins" will retire

18 Williams, Jaison -- great height and length. played a big time college and produced... practice squad or last guy kept

88 Williams, Roydell -- sounds like this guy is making the team and becoming a better version of thrash... solid hands, vet, solid route runner...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | June 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I heard the other day that the 2 starting defensive ends for the saints, Will Smith, and Charles Grant will be under suspension for the first 4 games of next year. When do we play the saints again?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Please tell me will smith is under suspension for that abomination "I am Legend"

Posted by: alex35332 | June 11, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Where MSNBC raks the skins for the decade

26. Washington Redskins
Record: 66-78
Playoff appearances: 2
Playoff record: 1-2
Losing seasons: 4
Conference championships: 0

Like the Cowboys, but worse, the Redskins have made a lot of noise this decade, signifying little. All the free agent money possible has only resulted in one 10-win season (under Joe Gibbs in 2005), and an uninspiring playoff win in Tampa. Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Spurrier, Gibbs, and Jim Zorn have mostly avoided bottoming out, but the Redskins haven’t boasted a title contender since Gibbs’ first run.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | June 11, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2009 11:02 AM

You bring up Sean Taylor? Then you and Landry should both read what he said "...you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'"

When Taylor got over his attitude problems and started taking his job seriously, then he suddenly got a lot better.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I think the missing piece as far as Landry is the maturity factor. It took Sean Taylor a year to get that squared away as well.

Landry is not a bad player at all. But me thinks he has a higher opinion of his talent/ability than is actually there. The defense does not need that kind of negative hype at this point.

I wonder what London Fletcher is thinking. He is the QB of the defense.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 11, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

It took Sean Taylor a year to get that squared away as well.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | June 11, 2009 11:21 AM

The way I read it, people attribute his maturation to the birth of his daughter -- so it took a couple of years. Who knows what it will take for Landry to mature into a professional?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

The article on the smaller WRs working out better. Of course, the pic they use to accompany it -- is of a punt return ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 11, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Laron's at OTA's. Can't say that guy's not a hard worker, can you? OTA's are just for stooges like London Fletcher, not for real ballers like Laron.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | June 11, 2009 11:17 AM

First of all, you are just a little too preoccupied with that Taylor quote. If I got a dollar for every time you've posted that here, I could retire.

Secondly, Taylor was going into his 4th year before he started getting this stuff together. Landry's going into Year 3. Give the kid some time.

And actually, you know, wait for him to do something stupid before you blast him. Missing OTAs is not one of those things.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

you're on a roll brownwood26...HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The reality is that our passing game will be more a function of our O-Line which was not adequately addressed in the offseason. Campbell needs decent protection as much as he needs a better No. 2 receiver. I agree that an upgrade over Randel-El as the No. 2 is needed and hope that Thomas/Kelly are the answer. I think the signing of Roydell Williams may turn out to be one of Vinny's better moves as he has proven NFL experience and is bigger than our starters.

If El didn't carry such a major cap number and Thomas or Kelly had shown they could play last year, I'm not sure he'd have survived the offseason purge. His play has declined each year and he's no longer any type of threat on punt returns. Unless Zorn starts to run the wildcat or more gadget plays, Randle-El's value is pretty minimal as a starter.

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 11, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

nooenfromtampa: "Where MSNBC raks the skins for the decade"

Can I make a suggestion? Anytime you see anybody in the media ranking anything, even shades of Grecian Formula, stick your index finger down your throat and do what comes naturally.

Because that's what it's worth.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 11, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89 | June 11, 2009 12:10 PM |

good point, however if zorn is smart he will use A.R.E. in gadget, wildcat like plays. I think I remember reading a response to a question about the wildcat to zorn that he had no plan/interest in using the wildcat. smart answer only if being deceptive to the competition. these type plays would play to the strengths of A.R.E. and add some mystique to our (so far) drab offense.zorn better come up with something for the giants! HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

does anyone know how much cap room the skins currently have, or a site to find this info, thanks.....

Posted by: jenksredskins | June 11, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

First off are some of you assuming that Campbell had the authority to improvise and makes things happen? Answer is, probably not..

Second the coaches appear way to conservative in allowing younger players with superior athletic ability then some of the veterans to get on the field. The only way of seeing whatthey can do is play them !

Thrash needs to retire if he doesn't then he should be cut...Its time I don't care how super smart or a true Redskin he is.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | June 11, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

A source familiar with situation told me that J-Lack is interviewing unknown and non-existence sources for his NFL Network show.

Another semi-transparent source with intimate knowledge of the situation thinks J-Lack will have an easy time bashing the Redskins at every turn this season, said above non-breathing source

Posted by: peaceful2008 | June 11, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse