Waiting for Zorn, Injury Updates

It's a double dose of Jasons -- neither of whom picked anything up for me in the Hall of Fame gift shop. Jason Reid is Unrestricted (and loving it) and Jason La Canfora files this report:

Sorry I couldn't get this up early - had a brutally late night and quick travel turnaround this morning. Coach Zorn is supposed to do his presser at 12:30, so I'll post an update after that and keep this snappy.

I'm giving my game ball to un-drafted rookie corner Matteral Richardson. No question about it. As a sports writer with crummy deadlines, and a dragging game, the last thing you ever want is overtime in the preseason. I've lived it, and I'd rather get run over by Jared Lorenzen while holding a bag of Big Macs than have to experience it again. Especially as 11 pm closes in, and you know you'll be lucky to get out of the pressbox by midnight, then you've got a 90 minute drive back to the hotel and a 5 am wake-up call awaiting.

That interception was huge. I know Zorn has this rule against rookies getting a Skins symbol on their helmets at practice, but come on, coach. This dude got all of us at least a few hours of sleep. Richardson picked off Lorenzen with 1:50 to play and the Skins leading by 7, then took the ball 38 yards to the house.

That's an MVP performance, my friends. From a schlub's perspective, it doesn't get any better than that.

Plenty of youngsters stood out. Rookie safety Chris Horton, a late-round pick, had a great game. First, he recovered that quirky opening kickoff (the onside attempt) after special teams stalwart Khary Campbell let it slip away. Horton also had two powerful sacks flying in off the edge, corralling Lorenzo and whipping the hefty QB to the ground. Horton also had five combined tackles. Strong showing. (Horton hears a woo-who, anyone? Is that too lame?)

Marcus Mason, who was signed as a rookie free agent last year and spent 2007 on the practice squad, ran 18 times for 98 yards and caught a TD pass.

Obviously, the quarterbacks performed well, and it will be very interesting to see if rookie draft pick Colt Brennan can keep up that kind of performance against defenses that pay more attention to coverage as the preseason schedule rolls on.

As for negatives, Stephon Heyer had a very rough night, and then sprained his knee. That injury, as well as Todd Wade's sprained ankle, are supposed to be minor, but we'll get an update today. Losing two tackles, even for just Saturday's game, could be a problem, especially with the starters barely playing again this weekend. Could mean a heavy load for rookie tackle/guard Chad Rinehart. Jason Fabini might get switched back to tackle for a week or so as well to have a veteran to help with the blindside in the next exhibition game.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 4, 2008; 12:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Wise Guy in Canton
Next: Malcolm Kelly Might Get Scoped

Comments

1st pair of PANTIES!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

can we get it in writing, cant always watch vids at workkk...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 4, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I also like the fact that we scored in the fourth quarter, its been a while since Ive seen that. But I didnt like how our def. looked, the wrs were open alot and they seemed to be able to run on us outside the tackles. our DT's seemed to shut the middle down on them.

Posted by: SAK | August 4, 2008 12:33 PM

repost

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Nothin for you Jasno... ? Why that cheap ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Several of the rookies looked promising last night. Obviously it's only one game but Brennan looked better than I expected. Madden got it right when he said he brings energy to the game when he's in there. I thought he'd be no more than a Koy/Ty Detmer journeyman type. I will be happy to be wrong if he keeps this up. The defense wasn't that great. They made Mike Hart look like SB Timmy Smith. Don't know if he's actually any good cause it seemed like he was constantly 5 yds down field before any defenders would get near him.

Posted by: skinswest | August 4, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Errr .... Nothin for you Cindy... ? doesn't he know who the boss is?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Hit refresh....Jasno just filed.

Posted by: Cindy | August 4, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

cL,

Basically he said, its too early to get your hopes up for the Superbowl. It's just one preseason game. Said that Zorn wasn't worried about Heyer's knee injury but that he needed more info on Wade's ankle injury. Then he ended the segment by saying, "Who knows, if they continue to play as well as last night, maybe you can book your Superbowl tickets."

Posted by: RITCA | August 4, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Someone thinking we should cut Alexander? Dude balled last year at all three phases of the game, how about we give him the preseason huh???? Wow....

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 4, 2008 12:27 PM

cL - I think they were talking about the 4th string Colts QB. And he didn't look good at all.

Posted by: BCBarney | August 4, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope they are minor injuries.

Posted by: jm220 | August 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy JM220's insightful and educational posts.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, obviously we're going to the Super Bowl. Colt Brennan will take us to Tampa! Nothing like a preseason QB controversy.

If Horton makes the team, who gets cut?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 4, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Swiegert?

Fox?

We will prolly keep 4 safties since Springs can switch. Also, Is Matteral a CB?

Posted by: Zebra | August 4, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, anon is unaware of jm's propensity for delivering smacks to the back of the head.

Posted by: Cindy | August 4, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick repeat of last thread.

Even though they are minor injuries, I'm not thrilled that our #2 and #3 RT both got dinged ... especially considering our #1 RT has missed a lot of games in the past few years ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It was great seeing the young guys ball last night. Hope it continues.

I hope the team goes and signs a couple more bodies at OT for the preseason. I would hate to see them wear down Rinehart before the season even starts.

And let's not call for Suisham's head quite yet. If you look at his career FG%, he's off to a pretty damn good start. He just happens to miss at really inopportune times (see last year's playoff game in Seattle). A couple more years of seasoning and experience, he could be one of the best in the game. Or he could end up like Vanderjagt who just kicks a really high % and misses everything with the game on the line. I guess we'll soon see.

Here's a random note from the HoF inductions: there was some clown Dallas fan wearing a generic jersey that read ANY NAME 00. The dummy spent extra money to get a personalized jersey and didn't even put his name on it! Typical Cowgirls...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 4, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, More Wise videos 2 please.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 4, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If the team keeps Horton, I could see Schweigert getting the axe. He seemed couple steps slow last night, but I'm giving him the rest of the pre-season...

Posted by: Greg | August 4, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Appreciate your Hall reporting ... or should I say, "You're doing a heckuva job Brownie ..." (bet your tired of that one ...)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Maybe his parents were too stupid to give him a real name and just wrote "ANY NAME" down on the birth certificate. We're talking about Texas, after all.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 4, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I hate when sports reports whine about their schedule and deadlines.

You're a f'ing reporter, IT'S YOUR JOB.

If you don't like it quit and do something you're qualified for - like working a McDonald's drive thru window.

Posted by: Hater | August 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is in da house

Posted by: Zebra | August 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

See, I told you Colt could play!

Posted by: June Jones | August 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

If Horton makes the team, who gets cut?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 4, 2008 12:53 PM

Doughty. he is in over his head. nice guy, good story, but can't play at NFL level

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Even with all the HOF stuff, my favorite headline from this past weekend was:

I HAVE A FEVER, AND THE ONLY PRESECRIPTION IS MORE LOS STRIPPERS

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

But i cant connect.. stupid reflector

Posted by: Zebra | August 4, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't everybody whine about the crappy parts of their job? My boss is an otherwise awesome guy, but he loves to schedule 8am and 5pm staff meetings.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 4, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

borrowing from Drew Carey here...

Don't like your job and need to talk about it. There is a support group for that. Its called the bar and people meet there right after work ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

If Horton makes the team, who gets cut?

Posted by: P Diddy | August 4, 2008 12:53 PM

This is too easy, a punter.

Posted by: 35332 | August 4, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

My dad once told me, don't do a job if you don't love what you do. I may not make the best living right now $ wise but I am otherwise happy.

Posted by: 35332 | August 4, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I was referring to The Clots 4th stringer and yes Doughty looked real slow last night...

Posted by: trailblazer658 | August 4, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

beep beep (or if in Dallas, its hey MF, get the F outta the F-in way ... then use finger)

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 4, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Jared Lorenzen is very fat for a qb

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

can we get it in writing, cant always watch vids at workkk...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 4, 2008 12:29 PM

Get some headphones, start the vid, and minimize the screen. Then you can listen while you work.

Posted by: Monkalicious | August 4, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

can we get it in writing, cant always watch vids at workkk...

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 4, 2008 12:29 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 4, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Some observations; Horton is a up and comer,lets give the D a chance to adjust to Blatche's style, ( one game people!!) there is no QB controversey except maybe for backup,wait a minute ahhhh NO!! Heyer seems to be injury prone. I like Zorn's approach (will allow his coach's input, invaluable since he's new on the job) Proud to be a Washington pro football fan this past weekend huge turnout and tribute to Art Monk and Darrell Green.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 4, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse