Wanted: Tackle, Linebackers, Guard-Center

Jason Reid writes:

Just got off the phone with Jason La Canfora, who, as I figured, has continued to help me work the phones even during his supposed vacation. We're hearing a lot about some former Skins.

With the Redskins' decision to release defensive end Jason Taylor yesterday, right end Andre Carter is the only NFL-caliber end on the roster. The team also needs a right tackle, two-to-three linebackers and someone who can play guard and center for depth offensive -ine depth purposes.

We've been wondering if the team would turn back to Demetric Evans, who did not receive a contract offer before free agency began. Evans flew to San Francisco yesterday and was scheduled to meet with 49ers coaches today, league sources said. The team has had no contact with end Phillip Daniels, but something could happen there down the line.

Cornerback Shawn Springs, released Friday to clear salary cap room, also is on a free agent tour. The snowstorm forced New England to reschedule Springs's trip, but he was expected to meet with Patriots Coach Bill Belichick and his staff today, sources said.

Philadelphia and New Orleans also have tried to persuade Springs to visit. Former Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams now runs the Saints' defense, and Springs also could be a could fit with the Eagles, but Belichick is skilled at persuading successful veterans to join the Patriots.

By Cindy Boren  |  March 3, 2009; 11:22 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Taylor Departs, Dockery and Hall Arrive
Next: Dance with Taylor Comes to Curious End

Comments

Amen brother! Although the people here in Dallas don't really consider Skins/Boys that big of a rivalry anymore. Maybe the older ones but definitely not the younger to middle age crowd.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:26 AM |

They should consider it a rivalry, considering we have the upper hand over the last 5-6 years.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

fishman

'...You keep saying what they shouldn't do, how about telling us with your great knowledge what they should do..'

With my great knowledge, I'll suggest and re-state the kind of things a FO-challenged team like the redskins should do.

And beg pardon to anyone who's read my posts as they remain consistent.

The front office of the Washington Redskins has had a ten year pattern of chasing players developed by other teams, only to to see its grand schemes blow up in its face.

The team should give up its love for 'big names' and develop from within. Re-signing a players like D Evans, for example, should've happened well before FA started.

I'd take a couple of 3-13 seasons where I'm collecting picks and getting younger to an occasional playoff year any day.

The team should take the path of least resistance and let time allow bad contracts and older players go their own way. It's time to undo the damage of Gibbs 2 and Spurrier 1.

The team should draft rt, dt, wlb, c/g with the picks it has.

This method of operation is why the stillers could re-sign C Kometeau to play guard and M Starks t while holding on to it's money.

There's more, but that's enough. No big names, no splash.

Just the simple, low cost way back to competitiveness. It's better to develop the players people want rather than always chasing other teams players.

And I'm tired of all the chasing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2009 11:29 A

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Can we specify who exactly is "fishman"?

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Arizona's Bertrand Berry and San Diego's Igor Olshansky head a thin crop of ends. The linebackers, led by Buffalo's Angelo Crowell, the New York Jets' Eric Barton, Kansas City's Donnie Edwards, Jacksonville's Mike Peterson and Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks and Cato June, are more plentiful. None had visits planned with the Redskins as of Monday

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

use the money from taylor's release to sign a combination of players from among:
bertrand berry (high effort/high character guy) crowell, tauscher, hunter smith
and we come out of this smelling pretty good...

Posted by: shally | March 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't make the rules. I just reports what I get from deep inside enemy territory.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

By Cindy Boren | March 3, 2009

So, if I'm reading this correctly, our Insiders don't know anything and are trolling Pro Football Talk for early leads on what the 'Skins might be planning to do?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

and i believe starks was tagged as of last week ???

Posted by: shally | March 3, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Bertrand Berry ???? Hell be 34 at kickoff.

Igor or nobody at DE.

I wouldn't take any RTs from FAs. If they aren't there at #13, use it on Orakpo, and find a way to trade up and get Loadholt/Britton in the 2nd.

Backers - eh, not crazy about Crowell either.

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"And of course sign the RFAs: DT Golston, DT Montgomery, LB Campbell, and K Suisham.

Posted by: siris"

I'm pretty sure when you tender a player, they already count against the cap. If they sign elsewhere, then their cap figures come off the books with no penalty.

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse
Yes, RFA contracts are included in the cap. So we do have about $12 mill. in cap space.

Posted by: frediefritz | March 3, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If we would have snagged that CFL sack leader, Wake, a couple of months ago, we would have TWO legit NFL-caliber ends now.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"right end Andre Carter is the only NFL-caliber end on the roster"

Sure, I'll take the agenda-driven, biased opinion of some dope reporter over the entire FO, scouting staff, and coaching staff. Everyone else signs NFL-caliber ends, but we don't? Our backups aren't any good? I'm sorry, your credentials please? I think there's several teams around the league who would snap up Chris Wilson on the cheap if given the chance, but of course, he's not "NFL caliber" according to your worthless opinion. We all know you hate Vinny, but I have to say the job the 2 doughboy Jasons have done is 10 times worse than the job Vinny has done over the past year or so. Get out of your glass house and learn how to do your own job better before you throw stones.

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

'...Can we specify who exactly is "fishman"?'

Not you, bro'.

I'm just clarifying myself is all.

I mean you, or anyone, no direspect.

But like a snake, I bite if stepped on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Can we specify who exactly is "fishman"?

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:35 AM

Not to be confused with the North American version of "Pescado Grande" ... who is an RI long-timer.

Posted by: dcsween | March 3, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Mista,

The Bucs have cleared a ton of cap space, and are not using it. they will be terrible this year.

I have said on here I would have blown the team up, taken 0-16 years if that is what it takes to be a winning team.

I'm not saying what you say makes no sense, I'm saying that it is not going to happen, and nobody on the blog can change that.

Honestly there was only one year were the Skins under Snyder went after big name FA's. That was in 2000 his first year, and they were over the hill big names.

The guys they went after this year are young, and AH is the best player at his position in the entire league.

Arch and Lloyd were terrible but they were not big names, they were also picked up by Gibbs.

Remeber they have picked up some very good players as well,

London Fletcher
Marcus washington
Griff.
Shawn Springs
Randy Thomas

I see were your coming from but no matter what we as fans want, it's Snyders team and he runs it how he wants.

Two choices root for another team which if your a true fan could never happen. Or live with the fact that Snyder is going to do what he wants, and the team hopefully will win a SB or two before we die.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Good call, Rypien...I was just looking at Igor's name on the list of available FAs and I thought he could be a decent signing for the Skins. He's a 3-4 DE, but I would think he could possibly play DT at worst.

If not, Berry or Vonnie Holliday could be decent short-term options.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I think Crowell from Buffalo would be a good fit, I would definitely consider Olshansky from San Diego, but we definitely need to do something about LB real soon.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

D Evans. Dude is prototypical Blache DE who is already schooled in the system.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"He's part man, part fish. He always has to keep moving to breathe. Prepared properly, he tastes great with just butter. On a bad day, you'd want the tartar sauce."

Can always count on sween for a good laugh. Thanks!

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I think Crowell makes sense he is young and a good player. Dude is pretty big and makes alot of tackles.

Brown,

Agree on Igor he is a Evans type end, I think you could get him and Evans on the cheap.

You can never have to many quality D-Linemen.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

With the FA class shrinking it looks like Vinny will be handing out present and/or future draft picks to fill some of these needs in trades.

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:53 AM |

Don't see it there are still some good players we can get without giving anything up.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I think there is nothing wrong with bringing back D. Evans, if he is not already super pissed with the Skins. this would be his chance to shine and put his money where his mouth has been the past 2 weeks, plus would be interesting to see him swap with A. Haynesworth in certain situations, both can play DE and DT, but getting Olshansky or whatever dudes names is and Evans would be great.

I think LB is our biggest concern right now, hands down. I think our 0-Line with Dockery coming back should be ok if not better than last year, D line is getting better, but LB is going to kill us if a team shreds the Dline on the run...plus we still wont get any sacks without good LBs.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Here's the most obvious post of the week:

Scenario 1: Redskins are aggressive in free agency, signing Haynesworth, Hall, and Dockery.

RI Reaction: Oh, what a bunch of dumb moves, business as usual, we overspent on a couple of talented players when we could have "spread it around" and signed 20 decent guys. Chris Canty would have been a much better option than Haynesworth! Plus, how could we let such talented players as Demetric Evans go? I know we're talking about a backup from what we recently called one of the worst units on a team with no talent, but still, how can you win without him?

Scenario 2: Redskins follow the same path they took last offseason, laying back, being frugal, and just signing a couple of 2nd tier guys, maybe even giving Chris Canty the deal he ended up getting from the Giants.

RI Reaction: Well, the Redskins missed a golden opportunity to improve their team. With prize, 27-year-old stud DT Albert Haynesworth out there, they sign Chris Canty. To make matters worse, they give Canty a deal averaging around $7 mil a year! All this for a guy who was barely good enough to be a starter in Dallas, and never really put up any real numbers in several seasons there. I don't see how the Redskins think they are going to get any better by not doing much of anything, and coming out of free agency with no real star-quality talent. Clearly this team was the least talented in the league last year and it doesn't look like we can expect that to change anytime soon...

Someone stop the hypocrisy!

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 3, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 11:47 AM

I gave up on that idea years ago...MAYBE this team will win in my 2 1/2 year-old daughter's lifetime...

And who gets to decide who is a "true fan"? Is there a criteria that I wasn't privy to? The Steelers have always been my 2nd favorite team, does that somehow diminish my Redskins fanhood?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Flounder

Agreed on that post, wonder if anyone would give us anything for F. Davis, L. Betts, or someone for a 2nd rounder, big shot in the dark, but would be nice.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Dolphins sign Groves

Evans/Igor won't come "cheap"...fair, reasonable, maybe but not cheap.

Its like everyone with the sign Dockery cheap! He still got a decent contract. Evans value is not analogous to like a Rock Cartwright type.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Buzbee can be good if he stays uninjured. Dude was Man among boys in college.

Posted by: HenryHog | March 3, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 11:57 AM

Brown,

True fan can never stop having the Skins as there number 1 team.

My 2nd team is the Steelers as well I love the way they play defense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Someone stop the hypocrisy!

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 3, 2009 11:56 AM

Unless one person is posting under several dozen different handles, you're going to get a bunch of different opinions about each and every subject. It's the joy of free will and debate. When this blog has EVERYBODY agreeing, get your affairs in order because it means armegeddon is upon us...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"true fan" talk is always garbage, exactly right Brownwood...

I offer a third way. Keep loving the team, following living/dying...but retain your right to b!tch like hell about them. I thought that was sort of part & parcel to following a team closely....

The caveat is to other teams fans you defend every smelly vindanny fart like it was your last sweet rose scented breath...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Is it trade suggestion time??? Cue the clown/circus music.

Bring in Leigh Torrence, trade him to the pats for their first round pick as well as their 3 2nd round picks.

Trade J. Taylor for J. Peppers, and J. Gross.

Bring back Marcus Mason, and trade him, and a 5th round pick for Adrian Peterson, and Jared Allen.

I personally LOVE the trade suggestion portion of the program....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This just in: Springs pulls a hammy getting off plane in New England. He will be a game time decision.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | March 3, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 12:03 PM |

We all agreed that it was a bad thing when Sean Taylor was murdered. And, you're right, it was kind of like Armageddon.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

True fan can never stop having the Skins as there number 1 team.

My 2nd team is the Steelers as well I love the way they play defense.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 12:00 PM

Good...once again we're on the same page.

I don't know about you but I have a full blown man-crush on Mike Tomlin. After seeing the Steelers get him I got depressed when I saw the sh!t show that was the Redskins head coaching search. I wish the Skins would make a hire like that, but I doubt I'd see that kind of brilliance from this FO...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Releasing Taylor suggests there's somebody they want who they think they can get in the draft.

A lot's changed since those two signings. They're no longer worrying about Evans and might in fact sign Phil Daniels to a farewell contract. They like him a lot, remember.

I'm not sure Wilson, Jackson or Buzbee can drop back effectively as a LB outside of an obvious rush situation. Wish we'd seen more of them. Wilson is fast, but we haven't seen him much going backwards or sideways. Jackson is more of a high-motor guy than a speed demon. Buzbee I just don't know.

With the Springs situation resolved, we can think about safety. Horton had a terrific season and is a ball hawk, but he plays going forward rather than dancing in coverage. Moore shows promise. Are either a solution? I'm not at all sure.

Of course the preference would be an o-lineman. The stated method is to select regardless of position. Nobody does that in the first fifteen picks, however. Too much money involved. For that sort of cash, you want some immediate return.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

So according to this article we need multiple O Lineman, multiple LB's & a starting caliber O Tackle?

But we have only 4 Draftpicks to acquire all that. However, if we acquire guys via F.Agency then we are wasting money?

Its a lose/lose situation....we might as well just fold up the franchise...dissolve the team...knock down FEDEX FIELD and give up!

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 3, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

flounder21

'...Snyder is going to do what he wants, and the team hopefully will win a SB or two before we die.''

Can a blogga get all slurpy and philosophical?

Maybe: while standing on the raised deck above the bullpen area at George Steinbrenner Field in the heart of Yankeeland Saturday, the thought occured to me that Snyder is like Steinbrenner in that he's willing to spent his money to get his team a championship.

There is no greater owner in professional sports than one who's willing to cut a check to add guys who he hopes will bring his fans a championship--this includes Snyder, all kidding and snarkiness aside.

So I'll applaud the Haynesworth signing and wait eagerly for him to shut down Brandon Jacobs in late November just like everybody else.

Maybe Snyder isn't as bad as we think.

After all: a guy with a billion can sit on his money and hope President Obama fails just so he can keep more of his money to sit on.

You're right to say we fans can't change anything. You're a better person for not engaging in the stupid food fight I was trying to draw into and I apologize for it.

After all: at the end of the day, we're all Redskins fans.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Buzbee can be good if he stays uninjured. Dude was Man among boys in college.

Posted by: HenryHog | March 3, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Buzbee played at Georgetown my man in the tough Patriot League featuring such dominating BCS teams like Lehigh, Marist and Fordham.

Give me a break

Posted by: DMoney28 | March 3, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Best add Left DE to that litany of needs. The dance-master is gone, the dance-master is gone. O-o-o-oh, makes me feel like dancin'.

With 22 million in cap-room now, lets go out and get a beast FA at OLB and draft #13 BRIAN ORAKPO. Sign back-up PHILLIP DANIELS for 1 million. That leaves the bad guys with no where to go against our D except at ROCKY McINTOSH and CARLOS ROGERS. Use the #3 rounder for a RT and #'s 5 and 6 for back-up OL. Pick wisely at RT because the draft is deep with offensive tackles and a superior player will come out of the third for somebody. May as well be the REDSKINS.

BTW to my way of thinking, the O-line will improve practicing against HAYNESWORTH - taking the man at his word, and his coming to play. It certainly will be easier for BUGES and his group to spot weaknesses and develop strengths. At the very least, he should know early in camp what he's got and what he needs for 2010.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2009 12:08 PM

Seriously, can we let this be the last Steinbrenner/Snyder comparison? Unless/until there is no salary cap in football and/or football is no longer the ultimate team sport, THIS IS NOT A FAIR COMPARISON!

Overspending in football has proven to be ineffective...both here and to a lesser extent in Denver. You build through the draft and ACCESSORIZE your roster with free agency, not CUSTOMIZE it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Mista you do realize that the 90's Yankees dynasty was built when Steinbrenner was banned from being involved right? Also it was built on the farm system developing talent: Jeter, Petit, Williams, Posada, Rivera...

As well as sensible no star quality free agents like Broscias, O'Niel, Key....

And then a sprinkling of vets, who could accept roleplaying fielder, strawberry, gooden, chille davis...

Now its true Steinbrenner came back in time to enjoy the fruits of his nonlabor...but once he had once again regained control its Giambi, Arod, Randy Johnson, Clemons, etc...

Not sure that comparrison works in a positive sense.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

ESPN and NFL network have us picking: Rey Maualuga in the draft...hmmm

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Also to regain Yankee glory, they had to suck (again they did this when steinbrenner was banned)first and take their lumps, which in turn let the stock the farm.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

well, this aint college.

The Redskins are in reasonably good shape now on defense. Linebacker needs are definitely positional: they need a strong-side linebacker. Apparently they're considering Orakpo at that position.

Offense: clearly they need to draft a lineman IF the staff feels that Heyer is not a starting RT in 09. Raymer (TWO consecutive penalties negating a TD!!!) could probably be replaced at center. Kendall should probably be cut now that Dock is signed.

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2009 12:06 PM

The way they explained it on ESPN last night was much better than this. Zorn is tired of the Prima Donna athletes who don't want to be a part of the team. He was the one who was insisting that Taylor participate in off season activities and he was the one who wanted Taylor cut when he refused to show up for 25 days (out of 39).

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

if the skins pick Rey M. at #13, I'm gonna go corky on the blog.

So many other needs....what did he run at the combine 4.8??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

No need to cut Kendall as he is a free agent....

Raymer was replaced years ago...our center now is Rabach...

Maybe Flounder is right about fans....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"ESPN and NFL network have us picking: Rey Maualuga in the draft...hmmm"

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 3, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Say they’re sitting at 13 and the OT’s (Jason Smith, Monroe, and Oher anyway) are gone as are Orakpo and E. Brown and they don’t like the LB’s. Think they pull a surprise move and take a RB like Moreno or god forbid a WR? Andre Smith sounds like his heart may not be into football and unless he shows a complete 180 at his proday I wouldn’t take him. Vontae Davis – maybe.

Posted by: skinswest | March 3, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Can we specify who exactly is "fishman"?

Posted by: bigfish761 | March 3, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

He's the drummer for Phish...

Posted by: siris | March 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

*Let's hope so. Fletcher will need a replacement soon as well. I don't know if Blades is an every down player.

IF all the tackles are gone and we can't trade down.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher may need a replacement soon, but Jansen needs a replacement now. There are plenty of serviceable vets on the LB free agent market. Gotta go with offensive line in the draft, more than once.

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I want skins to draft Ray M just to watch Beantown go Corky.....although to be fair Greg you threatened the same over M Kelly. Trashed him for weeks leading up to the draft. And then spent the following year defending him.

Not saying your wrong mind you, just skeptical that you would go corky is all...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 3, 2009 12:21 PM |

dpc,

I'm not nitpicking just clarifying a few things:

1. Are center is Rabach not Raymer

2. Kendall is a FA he is not signed.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I wonder why nfl.com doesn't maintain an official salary cap list...

Posted by: siris | March 3, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eghblaw | March 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 3, 2009 12:24 PM

Dude, be real...you can't go pickin' heir apparents when you have gaping holes at SLB and LDE. If you put Mualuga at SLB, then fine...but last year this team stockpiled backups with their first 4 picks instead of getting potential starters and you see what happened!

Vinny's gonna have some serious 'splainin' to do if he picks anything other than a lineman with that first rounder...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

if the skins pick Rey M. at #13, I'm gonna go corky on the blog.

So many other needs....what did he run at the combine 4.8??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:22 PM |

I will beat that I will go all Corky, Brownwood and Mistamoe on the blog if they draft him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"I think JLC just writes these posts that have no real info in them to piss you guys off for another day."

Maybe, except a key piece of your argument is that the post is written by JReid...

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"Say they’re sitting at 13 and the OT’s (Jason Smith, Monroe, and Oher anyway) are gone as are Orakpo and E. Brown"

Take Andre Smith.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

I almost have to say that LB is as much an issue as the OLine.

Where we have an opening day OLine, we do not have starters at the SAM LB. Although I want to believe Sinclair and/or Tyson Smith can be the guy, I simply do not know what will become of it.

J. Smith, A. Smith, M. Oher & E. Monroe are locks and should be our #13 if available.

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"So many other needs....what did he run at the combine 4.8??"

Enough with the 40 times and measurables...some guys prove they can play the game at a high level. I'd rather have a guy who can make plays than one who can run really fast for 40 yards without pads. I think Rey has proven he can make plays.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Dude, be real...you can't go pickin' heir apparents when you have gaping holes at SLB and LDE. If you put Mualuga at SLB, then fine..."

Duh.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 3, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

By the way, what do you think folks here would be saying if the Redskins had let Cassel go to the Chiefs for a second round pick???

What would they have gotten if someone had matched their tender? Anybody know?

I think they think they made a mistake to offer a tender to Cassel, and realized that nobody was going to pay the price for signing a franchise player. So they had to trade and get what they could. Clearly he wasn't worth the $14.5M they were going to pay him.

Which is to say, throwing the ball to Randy Moss can make a lot of QB's look good (Frerotte, Culpepper, Johnson, etc.) and having WW as well as one of the best lines in football doesn't hurt either.

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 3, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

dpc2003, you might be right but your last few posts have been so riddled with inaccuracies that I find it hard to pay attention to. Sorry.

Posted by: chrislarry | March 3, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

matt, the defense wasn't a problem last year. The offense, in particular the offensive line, however was. If they don't draft a RT, the offense will continue to be stagnant.

yode, all I'm saying is that if Rey ran a 4.8, thats not good, and means that he can be exposed in coverage.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Re-signing Demetric Evans makes sense, but the Redskins better hurry or he'll get snatched up. Evans will be off the market soon. Since we recycled a Miami defensive lineman last year, maybe the Skins will take a shot at signing Vonnie Holiday, who was just released by the Parcel-fins. Holiday could give a solid presence in a rotation at defensive end, plus he can play tackle. Sign Evans first, grab Holiday if available for the right price (one year contract only), and hope one of the young guys can step up (I'm thinking Buzbee). Daniels is still available, but isn't the team trying to rid itself of the oft-injured? The Redskins need to get their d-line square so they can focus on o-line and linebacker in the draft.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 3, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Flound, I stand corrected. Rabach was called for two penalties negating TD's on consecutive plays.

The guy was getting blown up a lot last year. In the NFL, it happens sometimes, but to him it happened a lot. Sometimes he was being pushed right back into CP on stretch plays to the right, I especially remember watching that happen in the CIN game. If the Redskins had a second round pick it would be a great time to pick up a center.

The key to this year is going to be LAST year's draft class.

Posted by: dpc2003 | March 3, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"The team should work to manage its sal cap so, like the bucs, it's so way under that when a big name does come along, it can take the player on and have room to keep younger players once they become players of value.

There's more, but that's enough. No big names, no splash.

And I'm tired of all the chasing.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

so uhhh

we manage ourselves to get under the cap so we can sign a big name if he comes available

but then we DON'T sign a big name when he comes available, because that wouldn't be building from within?

Can't have it both ways. Seems to me the Redskins parted with older players to get under the salary cap and sign a big name, younger player in Haynesworth.

I'm no front office fan or even a trade of the Haynesworth signing, but you contradict yourself.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 3, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Look we got Haynesworth, Hall and Dockery for supposedly $14 million dollars in cap room, I think we can add a little talent with Taylor's $8 million.

DE was a need before Taylor was cut, we need to bring in at least two guys. Jackson, Wilson and Buzbee aren't starters and really are boarderline role players. Of our DT's only Alexander could shift over to end, guys like Monty and Golston can't do it. Evans should be a priority but we shouldn't over pay for him he should be priced around $3.5-4.5 million for 4 or 5 years. Outside of that I'd say he was too much and not worth it. A vet like Berry would be a good guy to bring in on like a 2 year deal, yeah he's older but can still get after the QB. He had more sacks than anyone on the skins did last year in a part time role.

For OT I think Ray Willis should be the priority, he should be somewhat familar with the system. But again we shouldn't over pay I'd imagine an average of no more than $3 million should be sufficent, with the contract probably fairly backloaded. If that doesn't pan out players like Marvel Smith or Mark Tauscher coming off injuries could come cheaply for a year or two.

For linebacker I don't believe that the position is as strong as the Times makes it out to be. Barton and Edwards shouldn't be options. Peterson also isn't that great of an choice. Crowell is a nice option albeit coming off an injury. Brooks is a great veteran and I could be nice for a year. Cato June might not fit into the skins system, he's small to begin with not the surest of tacklers and if he has lost a step he loses is biggest asset. I think linebacker is our biggest need and if we get Evans and Willis in the fold should be our top choice in the draft. (I'm still in favor of trading back to get more picks but grabbing Stintim from UVA at the end of the first round could be a great pick)

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 3, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"If Cassel flops, he'll be the biggest FA bust of 08, regardless of what Haynesworth does as a Redskin. And it's a distinct possibility: it's easy to read a defense when you know they're double-covering #81.

Posted by: dpc2003"

I agree 100%. I think the Pats swindled the Chiefs.

I also feel like the Cassel saga isn't over. Cutler gets moved out of Denver, Cassel gets moved from Kansas City to Denver, the Chiefs "flip" Cassel into a net gain of a first round pick and Mike Vrabel (at the cost of a 2nd rounder). And we all jump on Pioli's nuts for being the best personnel guy in football.

Posted by: psps23 | March 3, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

At the moment -- the Skins are not in "good shape" on defense.

They have two RFA DTs who could be signed by other teams. There are no starting or backup SLBs on the roster (although Sinclair and Tyson have an opportunity to step up). The LDE position is currently staffed by two unproven players (Buzbee and Jackson); with Wilson the only viable backup to RDE Carter. Westbrook and Tyron competing for the fourth (or fifth) CB position and the 3rd CB (Smoot) looked done by the end of the season...

The Skins need to find a starting SLB and LDE. Depth is questionable for the DEs, LBs, and CBs. They are really only set at DT, MLB, and S.

Posted by: siris | March 3, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Bean,

I would go to film for information on his coverage skills. I just think 40 times are overrated. If a guy can't run or cut with pads on, his 40 time in track gear means absolutely nothing.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 3, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

JAKE GROVE GETS PAID
Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 12:05 p.m. EST
Though the Dolphins have been quiet for much of free agency (after re-signing three of their own), they’ve made a big splash on the offensive line.

According to Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Raiders center Jake Grove has agreed to a five-year, $29 million contract. The deal includes $14.5 million guaranteed.

Grove was a second-round pick of the Raiders in 2004. Has 46 career starts in five NFL seasons.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 3, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Surprised no one thinks that we'll trade Jason Campbell and a 1st plus Carlos Rodgers for Cutler. Seems like a trade the Skins would make.

Posted by: larryn703 | March 3, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Everyone on Facebook has heard of Fun Facts. Here is a Fun Question:

When JC takes a three-step drop in Zorny's nifty WC offense and eyeballs the scenario unfolding before him what does he pass?

a) the ball to an open receiver
b) the time away while his dubious peripheral vision fails to spot an open receiver
c) the time away while searching desperately for a dunderhead wide receiver who has run the wrong route
d) gas

Posted by: AntonChigurh | March 3, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

There's more, but that's enough. No big names, no splash.

And I'm tired of all the chasing.

Posted by: MistaMoe"

Yes the Bucs have a ton of cap room but they also have a TON of holes. They have no starting QB, no running back (just signed Ward, but had to address that in FA), still need a second receiver,( had to overpay clayton to be a bad third), had to trade for a TE. They still need a DT, a couple of linebackers, a corner and a saftey plus could use some depth at DE. They had 60 million dollars b/c they had to replace half their starters.

The Skins upgraded at DT (in a big way), and replaced their corner and OG that were old and injury prone. Now sure I wish I could have some of the money the Bucs have and we've made dumb moves in the past but we only need 3 starters RT, DE, and a linebacker and a few more depth guys. Thats not too shabby. I'd rather grab the top DT, a top corner and a top guard than taking 2nd tier guys at all those positions.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 3, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Take Andre Smith.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 3, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | March 3, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Trade 1st round pick to Bills for T Jason Peters and 3rd round pick. That takes care of the Tackle problem, then use the 3rd round picks on LB & DE.

Sign Peters long term and you have 2 pro bowl tackles.

Posted by: cspwoods3 | March 3, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not nitpicking just clarifying a few things:

1. Are center is Rabach not Raymer

2. Kendall is a FA he is not signed.

Posted by: Flounder21"

I'm not nitpicking, just clarifying something:

1. "are" is spelled "our"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins have had the best offseason so far, and now with the extra cap room can continue down that path. I've started a blog to write my thoughts on the NFL and all sports but so far have just been covering the NFL http://www.steveospeak.blogspot.com/

check it out and let me know what you guys think. There are a few posts involing the skins up so far. enjoy

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 3, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree...with picking up Dockery we helped out the Oline tremendously and could patch work the right side and still be successful with a TE over there too, but I think LB is our greatest need now and besides maybe 3 or 4 good ones, the draft is kind of light on the LB position this year...concerned over Rey's speed in coverage, it is killing us with McIntosh and Blades, is not a starter in this league. They need a quick LB that can cover backs out of the backfield and good TEs...

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

anyone know how much cap room they have now?

Posted by: jasonma1 | March 3, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"He seems like a huge gamble right now. I'd rather they go for more of a sure thing even if its a RB or CB like Moreno or Davis. Now if Oher's there they should grab him no doubt."

I agree Smith is a huge risk and I hope the Skins have no part in him. Though I do question the priorities here, CB or RB aren't near the top of our need list, though i'd love to see each addressed later in the draft. If we stay at 13 than we need to take a DE or LB (again guessing Oher is gone) but hopefully we trade back. Also I'm not high on Moreno, I would much rather have Wells or McCoy I think both are better over the long run. I just have trouble seeing Moreno being effective at the next level, I don't know if he can run between the tackles. I'd much rather see them grab someone later like Rashard Jennings from Liberty, we now have his offensive line coach on our staff.

Posted by: Steveo11 | March 3, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler. Go get him!

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | March 3, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I would support the Cutler move, I like his game, much more than Campbell's, I like Campbell, but I like Cutler more. I would not be willing to give up Rogers with him or a first round pick...but we have done worse.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler. Go get him!

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | March 3, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Why? do you think the Skins should do this. Cutler is good, smart, hasn't done anything (just, like Jason Campbell) Just interested to see where this is going.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 3, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 3, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

IMO to have to give up anything to get the same result (meaning Cutler has done as much as Campbell, although better stats, but still same success) is not very smart.

I agree, we have done worse but we must try and change that philosophy. So far, we are gaining some level of competency no matter what people say about AH it was a good move. Skins and skins fans have been screaming about the O-line for years. Well, it has been addressed. If anything, I would at least explore the possibility of getting Peppers. in this market you are going to have to pay, why not pay for him. I would take Peppers over Canty and any other Dallas player for that matter. Oh, and give it up for Haynesworth for stepping on Gurod's head. I hate Dallas PERIOD

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 3, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I met to say Skins and Skins fans have been screaming about the D-Line for years.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 3, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd take tank johnson over demetric evans myself. Rotate johnson, haynesworth and griffin and that should help our DE's. Draft the big DE from LSU - he's gonna be a monster.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 3, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"right end Andre Carter is the only NFL-caliber end on the roster"

Posted by: CPortisRun | March 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Amen to this comment. I don't know why I keep coming back to see what these knucklehead Jasons are writing about the team, I guess because its in the hope that they might have something original to report and, of course, I am a Skins fanatic. But each and every time I receive a negative article with totally unsubstaniated "reporting". For example, yesterday it was written that "Jason Taylor realized early on that the Redskins organization had problems", or words to that effect, without any quote or reference whatsoever. Who says he "realized" that? I have only heard him praise Snyder and the organization, over and over. If you really had some contrary piece of information which led you to conclude that JT really felt otherwise, how about backing up such a statement? The reason: the Jasons have no idea what JT did or did not realize at any time, and only tossed that line in there because it fit the overall theme of their article, and their entire view of the team. Bottom line, I need to remember that I will learn nothing in here and stay away, at least until the Post hires someone with real credentials. Or least someone who admits that they are merely relaying information from other reporters and inviting people to share comments on it, and who doesn't claim to be "working the phones" and writing from the perspective of a real journalist.

Posted by: kcc1 | March 3, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are in talks with Carolina right now to trade the 13h pick of this draft(1st round selection) and next years 3rd round selection for Julius Peppers. From what I've heard, Carolina has agreed to it and the Redskins are talking to Peppers about the contract terms. It is expected to be announced Thursday or Friday of this week. Sorry for the leak JLC!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

y not if we are looking for oline help try and sign the gut from the jags that is a free agent??......and also i think that if we trade our first rounder/ betts to cin for chad johnson maybe we can get that tall wr that need to teeach the younger wrs, like ppl have been saying on different blogs moss cant do it by himself, rand cant be a 2nd wr, put him in the slot and try to get either a 2nd or 3 pick from cin in the trade

Posted by: Redskinsfan44 | March 3, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

i also want jay try to trade for him!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Redskinsfan44 | March 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

i cant see peppers coming here when he wants to play in a 3-4 defense where did u here this from

Posted by: mudman220 | March 3, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

take a look at the roster. we got kris wilson, rob jackson, and alex buzbee. we still have a chance to keep evans and daniels. I admit, probably not a pro bowler in this list, but keep in mind suddenly their lilning up next to the BEST DT in the NFL!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 3, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Demetrius Evans may not be Prime Rib, but he aint chopped liver, either. He's done a good job for us the last few years, and I dare say with Wilson and maybe Buzbee or Jackson subbing on passing downs, we may have a very effective, albeit unspectacular, low cost solution at LE already on our roster. Resign Evans and get a couple of decent linebackers.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 3, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse