Washington Continues to Improve

Linebacker Marcus Washington had a strong outing for the second straight week, and was used more on the pass rush Sunday than we've seen since last year.

Washington said he enjpyed the role - he was asked to play with his hand on the ground often in 2007 as the team hunted for more sacks - and seemed to have his explosion back getting off the line Sunday, helping to pressure the passer.

"We knew it was going to be a physical ballgame, and I was glad they let me do that [rush off the edge]," Washington said.

"It just feels good to be able to be able to play without anything ailing me, like the hamstring was," he said. "It feels good to be able to get out there and be myself."

By Cindy Boren  |  October 20, 2008; 12:50 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn Not Concerned About Campbell (Updated)
Next: Zorn Says Betts, Springs Are Doubtful

Comments

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 20, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

WTG Flounder! You're off double secret probation now!

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 20, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

3rd and 5, Skins hanging on by a thread, Zorn calls a draw play.

Did that seem out of character to anyone else?

I realize if it worked it would look brilliant, but I was more than a little surprised.

Am I the only one?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | October 20, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I thought the punter was actually pretty good, no shanks, great hangtime. The coverage unit was the issue from what I saw. When the guy is catching the ball and there are 3 or 4 of our guys standing right there and nobody tackles that's not the punter's fault. And if Torrence had downed that first one, it would have been a lot better day statistically.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 20, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

NO looking ahead team. Lets just work on the win sunday. That said best case scenerio for Dallas in 4 weeks.

Romo's finger takes a turn for the worse due to Jessica related incident. PacMan gets 2 other starters on D suspended when they bring strippers to him at detox. TO refuses to play because of the Roy Williams incident. Roy Williams realizes that he is not that good. And the new stadium is struck by lightning 1000 times and burns to the grounds because God hates the Cowboys.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 20, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"... Washington said he enjpyed the role ..."

I'd imagine he would, esp. after smack tackling some guy when he can look down on him and say "PWNED!"

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Another thing I loved about the game ... Randel El starting out a punt return running north! Several times!

[I don't think anyone has pimped him up yet, but I thought Randel El was the spark juice that got the third quarter drive (the one that ended with Portis' TD) started and sustained. Stat-wise, he lead with most touches (5 compared to Moss' 4 and Cooley's 4).]

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I hope Romo IS back for the Skins game.

He's always good for a couple of picks.

And the way the Skins D shut down Barber in the first meeting was impressive.

They haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher since Week 1 (Brandon Jacobs).

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

COWBOYS-YANKEES ENTER PARTNERSHIP
Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2008, 12:12 p.m.
As if there wasn’t already a strong enough belief that Jerry Jones wanted to become the George Steinbrenner of the NFL, Jones is now working with the long-time Yankees owner.
According to Daniel Kaplan and Don Muret of SportsBusiness Journal, the Cowboys and Yankees have jointly launched a concessions company. The venture, named Legends Hospitality Management, borrowed $100 million several weeks ago.
“Legends” will manage all concessions, suite catering, and team stores at the new Yankees and Cowboys stadiums, both of which open next year.
The company also will pursue contracts with other major-league sports, college sports, and sporting events in other countries.
Goldman Sachs managing director Gerry Cardinale saw Jones and Steinbrenner as similar, given their entrepreneurial approach to their teams.
For the casual fan who doesn’t care much about these business niceties, the mere fact that Jones is working with Steinbrenner is certain to fuel the perception that Jones would like to do away with the salary cap, and attempt to buy the best possible team each and every year.
Then again, Jones has spent a bunch of money on his current team. And he’s not getting much of a return on his investment.

-------------------------

Look for the Danny to do this next. The revenue you can get from this deal surely will not go to the players and is a definite way to expand revenue growth......

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Gene Wojieciekyzzuiweowski wrote an 35PN piece on the meltdown going on in Dallas following the human rights abuse they suffered at the hands of St.Louis.

Sometimes I don't know what I like better - Skins winning or Dallas experiencing horrible things.

Man, I'm a hater.

Posted by: p1funk | October 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Who will be coaching the Cowboys this time next year? Jason Garrett? I don't think so -- his offense hasn't distinguished itself. Bill Cowher?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 20, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Why stick with Jansen, it seems like he can't pass protect at all. For a 10 or 11 year guy, he is getting manhandled at lot during passing plays.

Posted by: al_kohaulic | October 20, 2008 1:07 PM

Campbell's hurting groin notwithstanding, I figure that the game plan from the beginning was to avoid the Browns' secondary and wear down their D line with lots of rushing ... which is pretty much what they did the first half anyway. Jansen's strength is run blocking.

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

If I had to guess, I'd say Jason Garrett will end up replacing Wade Phillips this year, and Bill Cowher will replace Garrett next year.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 20, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 20, 2008 1:09 PM

Well the good thing is that you don't have to choose. This year you can have your cake AND eat it too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 20, 2008 1:08 PM

I dunno ... this looks highly leveraged during a credit drought as it is ("The venture, named Legends Hospitality Management, borrowed $100 million several weeks ago. The Cowboys and Yankees each own a third of the company; Goldman Sach has most of the remainder."). I'm guessing that Goldman Sach's "capital" contribution is "in the mail."

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Jansen's strength is run blocking.

Posted by: dcsween | October 20, 2008 1:11 PM

Yesterday the 'Skins had 36 rushing plays and 24 pass plays. I'm guessing that's about the mix they'll have going forward. So do you want a run blocker or a pass blocker?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 20, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

What about them St Louis Rams?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | October 20, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

NO Redskinwillie you are not the only one I thought Zorn should have passed on 2nd down to cross the Browns up but three straight run plays had me saying WTF,fourth qtr.under three minutes don't give them the ball back!!! we definitely dodged a bullett on that one.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 20, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse