Orakpo 'Still Trying to Get Acclimated' at LB

Washington Redskins first-round draft pick Brian Orakpo said he is transitioning smoothly both to the professional game and also to a new position after an organized team activity today at Redskins Park.

Expected to split time between strong side linebacker and defensive end, Orakpo said he has been working to master schemes as well as to balance his responsibilities at both positions.

"I'm feeling the difference, but it is still football," Orakpo said. "If you know what you're doing, you can play fast. If you don't, that's when you kind of get left behind. But what I try to do is go in and know what I'm doing, study my playbook, study the plays that we put in that day and try to play fast."

Orakpo, who said he is meeting with coaches for both position groups, had a team-high 11 1/2 sacks as a defensive end his senior season at Texas, which ranked sixth in the country, while also registering 40 tackles, including 17 1/2 for a loss.

At Orakpo's introductory press conference on April 27, Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said the team expected to test Orakpo's comfort level at linebacker, where he could play on first and second downs, but that "certainly he is going to be a pass rusher," from the end position on passing downs.

"I'm still trying to get acclimated to [linebacker], but I'm doing okay right now," Orakpo said. "I know I can do better at pass drops and reading coverages better and stuff, but that just all comes over time. So once OTAs get going and come training camp I should be full go."

...

Over on the Bog, Steinberg reports that Chase Daniel and Colt "Cult of" Brennan are bonding nicely.

By Paul Tenorio  |  June 1, 2009; 2:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Heartfelt Good-bye
Next: Kelly on Knee, Pressure to Perform

Comments

C'mon, Racky, we're counting on you for some sacktastic action off the edge this season. A modicum of mayhem. And etc.

(You too, Mr. Haynie. You're the one who's going to make it all happen.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 1, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I SECOND that comment...

Posted by: jwlemons | June 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

If he ends up at DE he replaces Carter. Carter gets traded or released. Would like to get an update on how Wilson is progressing at that position? What does former 1st rounder Robert Thomas look like? The 2 new rookie LB's?

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The insurance policy we have is Chris Wilson: he too is learning SLB and is already a defensive end.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 1, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me for carrying forth my magnum opus. I won't do this again until 2011.

In the spirit of nostalgia. Good luck Jas!

Smack's Top Ten Live Sports Moments, This Life.

1) Dallas 34 - 10 Philly, 1992 Texas Stadium
--On way to Super Bowl championship. I brought a big sign. Lame, I know.
2) Dallas 23 – 10 Philly. 1993 The Vet
--Emmitt goes for a best ever 237 in the Halloween rain
3) Washington 27 – 17 Miami. 1983, Super Bowl XVII, Rose Bowl, Pasadena.
-- Dragged there by Fish Family, I secretely revel in Riggo’s run. Many of you might bump this up to #1
4) Miami Hurricanes 17 – 16 FSU. 1983, Doak Campbell Stadium, Tallahassee.
--A great game, and then I justifiably get punched in the face for being an ass.
5) Holland 2 – 1 Saudi Arabia. 1994, RFK Stadium, Washington DC
--So much Orange, and Dennis Bergkamp never flies again
6) Arsenal 1 – 0 Ipswich, 2002 North London, England
--An insurmountable victory the only time I’ll ever be at Highbury
7) Miami Hurricanes 22 – 0 Nebraska, 1992, Orange Bowl Festival
--This is pretty much when speed and Florida took over the college game. Yes, Miami was good once.
8) Gatti unanimous decision over Mickey Ward, 2003, Atlantic City NJ
--An incredible time and I think some guys were fighting
9) Is all of the evenings I spent with my dad at Mark Light Field watching ‘Canes baseball. It didn’t give me a love of the game but it gave me the love of the dude
10) Is the many wild nights at The Blue Horizon in Philly in the 80’s, the best boxing arena in the country. Can’t remember many specifics, but I’m pretty sure Tim Witherspoon was involved.

Hope you enjoyed the tour, and it revived some fond memories of your own, you fine folks!

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 1, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 1, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Is the concept of 1st and 2nd downs being rushing downs and 3rd down being a passing down still valid? Didn't the league stop operating that way when most teams starting copying Walsh's 49er offense... in what, 1988? Anyone know the stats?

Posted by: chris_zz | June 1, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand declaring a player in a position to only be used in certain situations.

Can't the opponent just audible out of the particular play type once they see the rookie come in?!

I just don't see the strategy.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I will taking the place of JLC as the semi beat reporter for the skins(cuz J Reid is technically the beat reporter).

Today's practice update

It was a nice day and the coaches and players were on the field, in more interesting news the PR staff of the redskins had an actual Johnny Rockets installed in the Press Room. I mean is this cool or what freakin Johnny Rockets all I can eat all day.

Oh yeah almost forgot some players didnt show up for OTA's blah blah blah blah,

Alright my food is coming out write later,

Sincerely JLC I mean GreatONE1

Posted by: GreatOne1 | June 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

- Original "not" guy

Posted by: 4-12 | June 1, 2009 2:25 PM

I am sad to say, I am not surprised. I had it pinned between you and sween (as I do every other conspicous name). But I was leaning towards you 4-12....

As far as MTSC - i will add that to your repatiore (sp?) as well....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 1, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Imagine the nerve on this guy JLC? Like anyone cares that some blogger journalist-wannabe got a new job. He might only be missed by those who are not fans of the team, and hopefully the new guy they plug into this job will not always be looking for (or making up) a negative spin whenever writing about the Redskins. Good riddance hack.

Posted by: frankfilchock | June 1, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again. Starting off with something that sounds a lot like the initial reports last year about the rookie WR's 'just trying to get up to speed'. Those continued until...we'll they're still coming.

Where are the reports like "wow, he's blowing us away"? Or maybe those are reserved for Malcolm Kelly when he practices?

But then again, I'm an optimist.

Vinny. Must. Go.

Posted by: hailrskins | June 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Can't think of any player we have had that were not "coming up to speed" rookie year.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

frankfilcock why you hatin man. Life's too short.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 1, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

If they use OK correctly and don't make him over think he will be beast! Let him learn the game at full speed and not have him sweat every assignment from jump. That stuff will come. Experience is the best teacher.

Posted by: chrislarry | June 1, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris_zz | June 1, 2009

Many teams (including the STEELERS starting next year) are using AZ's model for a hybrid 4-3/3-4. Its actually a 4-3 that can take better advantage of guys like Wilson and Orapko. If they can learn to drop into coverage and be effective ala Terrel Suggs then I think Carter's days may be numbered ...

Blache's job is a tough one this year.

Posted by: periculum | June 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | June 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Orakpo is legit. I hope he COOOOOOOKS Eli during Week 1. OLB, DE...I don't have a preference and I trust Blache will put him in place to make plays.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | June 1, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Great one I mean Sincerely JLC I mean GreatONE1

Since you are taking over you are supposed to tell us what is on your ipod when you are "writing"

Posted by: ElYeah | June 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I just don't see the strategy.

Posted by: DikShuttle | June 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

=======================================
Being a Rookie, no team in the NFL is going to audible when they see Orakpo run on the field...yet. He has a long way to come before teams start to give him that kind of respect. He's not Lawrence Taylor...yet :-). And if he does pan out to be a legit threat, I'm quite sure Blanche will do different things with him in formations and stunts, even decoy stuff so teams won't key off just when they see him.

Posted by: clark202 | June 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

alex35322:

One guy I can think of was up to speed day one. Wore #28, think he's in Canton...

Posted by: james51 | June 1, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Why do the Redskins get these talented guys...Brian Orakpo, Andre Carter, Jason Taylor and they make them play other positions where they are less effective?

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | June 2, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse