Washington "Still Not Sure" He'll Play

From Jason Reid:

Strong-side linebacker Marcus Washington (hamstring, hip) returned to practice after sitting out the previous two days but took few reps.

"It felt pretty good," Washington said. "Just trying to test it. Don't want to do anything crazy and set it back. Just trying to see what I got. Still going to be a game-time decision. Still not sure."

Washington, in his ninth season, said he would be prepared to play despite missing practice because "I've done a lot of film watching," he said, and the Redskins are "pretty thorough with their [defensive game] plan. It's still tough, you want to be out there, but you just take the film work and go from there."

Washington sat out four games because of recurring hamstring problems last season, so to be slowed because of injuries at the outset of this season is "pretty frustrating," he said. "But you definitely want to deal with it early and not late."
...
Linebacker Khary Campbell, who had blood drained from his right thigh earlier this week, watched practice and is listed as doubtful.

"It is responding to treatment, so that's a good thing," Campbell said. "We'll just see where it goes."

Campbell, a key contributor on special teams, initially suffered a thigh bruise in practice and a pocket of blood formed in his thigh. He has limited range of motion and wore a stocking on his right leg in an attempt to improve circulation.

"You're in a tough position because you really can't use your leg like you want to," he said. "There's only so much you can do. You don't want them to have go back in there and draw blood again."
...
Rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly worked a lot with the first-team offense, but Jim Zorn would not commit Kelly being active against the Saints. "He still, in my mind, just [is] questionable, just working his way back," Zorn said. "But I like what I see. I like his improvement. He's on his way."

Kelly sat out the preseason after having arthroscopic knee surgery Aug. 4. He hopes to make his pro debut against the Saints.

"I feel good about everything," Kelly said. "I went through the whole week, no pain. I'm good."

Sitting out again would be disappointing, "but in the end, they're [the coaching staff] going to do the smartest thing for this team," Kelly said. "If that's the decision that they want to make, it's good for me because I got a week under my belt to show that I can go out and play. And next week, I know I'll be playing. I'm just glad to be back."
...
The Capital Weather Gang has the forecast for Sunday. And if you can't be in front of a TV, or if it won't show you the Redskins no matter how hard you wish, you can sign up for the Redskins Insider twitter feed or mobile text alerts. (Sign up by texting "REDSKINS" to WPOST [97678]). Here endeth the shameless commerce.

By Cindy Boren  |  September 12, 2008; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cartwright and the Weekly TCCLs
Next: Zorn Not Bothered by Portis' Comments

Comments

1st

Posted by: Skinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz | September 12, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

bye bye Marcus, your time here is done. can't stay healthy. no khary too, means 4 active LBs: Fletcher, RockyMac (knee still rounding into shape), Blades, Fincher. LB crew weak weak WEAK on this team.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear about Kelly, I hope he plays, adn produces for the team.

Not good to hear about MW...ugh..

Posted by: Greg | September 12, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Washngton was the healthiest he'd been in years, or so I read a few weeks back. Now when it counts, not so much. Too bad, because we're not deep at LB to being with.

My guess is that the Skins play a lot more nickel defense if Marcus can't go. Save the LBs some reps, plus Brees is going to throw a lot anyway.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 12, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Im starting to worry MW may have degenerative hip disorder...

Posted by: Zebra | September 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Marcus Washington is a joke. He's had 1 productive full season. Get rid of Wayne Brady.

Posted by: Bob | September 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

jason's post after the game "i told you skins would win if they run the ball like they did today"

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Weighing in on comments from earlier thread.

Portis is one of the top backs in the game. Period. A top back, just like a shut down corner, can have a huge impact on the outcome of a game. Portis needs some help from the line and his QB.
The comments regarding Portis' ability, or lack thereof, astonish me. Did you watch the Giants game? It's remarkable he was able to average 3.7 a carry.

Very disappointed, however, to hear his ridiculous views on practice.

Seems like we have numerous defensive players who are questionable, not the least of which is M Washington. Also, what is J Taylors status? Smoot? K Campbell? WTF!

Posted by: cosmofla | September 12, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

No breaks for this team. Lotta nickel and dime packages this week. Saints are going to spread the field anyway.

Posted by: psps23 | September 12, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

What happened now? When was he ever qeustionable or doubtful for this game?

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm wetting myself with anticipation.

Posted by: POOP | September 12, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Kinda looking forward to seeing Alfred Fincher
on special teams. If he gets in for some select
snaps that could be trouble though...

Posted by: el freako | September 12, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

4th, that was EXACTLY my reaction.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What happened now? When was he ever qeustionable or doubtful for this game?

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2008 2:50 PM

When he made the 53 man roster.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

But Washington was the perfect player, statistically speaking he had the perfect name to put on the back of the jersey for the team.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Zorn did not admit fault completely in that game. Where is he getting this from?? I remember him making excuses up and I remember him blaming Campbell. But never did he say it was his fault....

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2008 2:31 PM

but Zorn told him he liked his shirt

that is CRACK REPORTING

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:42 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I haven't read anything about MW being questionable ANYWHERE except here on RI, just now.

When the heck did this happen?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 12, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Diapers and pull ups
They Palin comparison
To Depends on Mac

Posted by: LH | September 12, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I think it might be time to move Taylor to linebacker. He is undersized and the talent at LB is either young or injured. Put Evans in at DE. Considering we have 10 defensive lineman on the roster, I think we can move him.

Posted by: straub21 | September 12, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Randal Godfrey how's your work-outs?

Posted by: bangkokben | September 12, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

When the heck did this happen?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 12, 2008 2:56 PM

Right here on RI.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: straub21 | September 12, 2008 2:57 PM

I don't think they will do that every down but we may see it more often than he would usually play LB.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 12, 2008 2:56 PM

Clearly obviously JlaC is biased and has an axe to grind against the Redskins by reporting this information.

Posted by: filling in for haters {yes, it's sarcasm doofuses} | September 12, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Every time I see MW, I knee him in the hip, and run like crazy....

Posted by: Jla | September 12, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Zorn keeps repeating that he likes Campbell, just wants him to do things faster.

From my own experience, doing things faster can be really tricky. When you change one thing, the body's natural instincts tend to compensate in other ways. Go running one day and try to shorten your stride. It will feel awkward. Not sure where I'm going with this, just an observation at the moment.

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 12, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Al Zeke Whateva.......

Want Maurice Jones Drew?

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

4th! i want maurice. i'll give you carson palmer.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Some people call me Maurice, 'cause I speak of the pompatus of love.

Posted by: Steve Miller | September 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Good one Dealer. I'll take him, unless Zeke has something better???

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

How do you get RI on twitter?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I expect the line backer issue is why they kept all the young safeties, play the "big nickel" more, extra safety instead of extra corner.

Posted by: BluCollar Redskin | September 12, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Activate Gatewood from the practice squad and sit both Campbell and Washington and send Hamilton to the PS if he clears waivers..

Posted by: Dave | September 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see them run a hurry up offense for much of the game. I think it would help Jason to think and act more quickly, increase the players intensity, it would help Zorn and his staff increase their tempo, and keep the NO defense on it's heals.

Posted by: stumped | September 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

4th, let me think about it. yeah yeah i'm re-nigging...sorry. i need a #1 WR more than i need a rb. but mjd is tempting...

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

we have a bunch of overpaid 30-something LBs who, save Fletcher, never seem to get on the field. Geez, I hope my body doesn't degenerate by the time I hit 30!
We should cut our losses after this year, draft a bunch of LBs, and start them all as rookies. Really, let's cut the charade and say what needs to be said: R-E-B-U-I-L-D.

Posted by: fed up | September 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

sign a veteren linebacker...please!!! we need some help. rosevelt colvin is available. he played for blache in chicago.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh when the Saints come marchin' in...
Oh when the Saints come marchin' in...

I want to see them wack the Danomen with their thunder,
Oh when the Saints come marchin' in.
Ill love to see them lay on that lumber, when the Saints come marchin' in.

Oh when the Saints, come marchin' in...

Yes, I want to be in that number, when the Saints come marchin' in!

And, when they embarrass lil' Dano and make Vinny's eyes goggle, that's when the Saints come marchin' in.

It will make the Danoskins fans mind's boggle, when the Saints come marchin' in.

Oh when the Saints, yes when the Saints...
(Three more times - then chorus to finale.

Posted by: ExtremeArt | September 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Once again, Jason Campbell proves that he is not an NFL quarterback.

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

It is time to get rid of Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Snyder !

Posted by: Gary | September 12, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Marcus dinged, Khary drained, and still not a word on the rotation with H.B. and Finch. Hello -- we have backups! Will somebody please update on how they look, if they're getting reps and who might be active for this week's game?

Posted by: Slobberknocker | September 12, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse