We've Got (Reggie) Bush. We've Got (Reggie) Bush.

I've been waiting to write that couplet all season. This dude is the real deal, Yeah, Reggie Bush started slow, but he seems to have this December football thing down. So much for hitting the rookie wall.

He's the closest thing I've seen to Mike Vick in the open field, and now Washington's poor-tackling defense is going to have to try to stop him. If the coaches do the right thing and give rookie LB Rocky McIntosh his first start, I have a feeling Reggie will be catching a lot of balls on his left side, testing the kid. And if it's Warrick Holdman again on that side, well, guess what, he's going to see a heavy dose of Bush as well (just re-read that sentence and I have a feeling I know the direction many of these comments will be taking?). Bush made the Cowboys look silly Sunday night - even BOOFER (or, in honor of the man this entry is dedicated to, the immortal Booger) couldn't deny this - and it could be more of the same for Washington.

Bush has 79 catches for 689 yards this season, people, that good for second in the NFL. (Do you have any idea how many seasons it'll take Lloyd to reach those kind of numbers?) He has 36 more receptions than any Redskins. Yeah, you read that correctly - 36. Sure, Reggie is taking his lumps in the running game - 3.2 yards per carry - but he has seven total touchdowns and seems to be gaining confidence by the game. If Joe Horn and the Colston kid - rookie of the year? - are healthy, this could be a lopsided game.

Seemed to me the Saints pretty much played flawless offensive football Sunday night. Heck, even that onside kick was a thing of beauty (how priceless was the shot of Parcells on the sideline after that by the way?). These guys deserve all the karma they can get and surely the city of New Orleans worthy of this kind of winning football. The Saints have scored 107 points in the last three games.

Drew Brees must look at this secondary and see dollar signs, thinking off all the delicious incentives within reach. He might duplicate that five-spot he dropped on the Cowboys, assuming this is not a colossal letdown game for the home team. And they could indeed come in flat facing a 4-9 doormat (sorry folks, just keeping it real) in a short week off an emotional high. Hmm, Wonder what Wayne Alyn Root would do in this situation? Maybe I'll call him if I can remember where I wrote down that number he gave me.

Randoms: Another freaky night on this job. Get a call around 10:30 that people are calling the office saying Coach Joe has been in a bad car accident. Check the internet, make a few calls, thinking all along, this makes no sense at all, the coaches work all night on Tuesday, order in for dinner and many spend the night. They don't even walk to their cars. No need to. And 10:30 would be a crazy-early night for those guys. But, I have to do my job. The Skins got a ton of such calls, too, and Chris Helein, who's been a stud this season as the new PR chief, ends up having to pull Coach Joe out of a film session to make sure this is all the bunk that we both figure it has to be. Man, what a time to be in this business. The Skins end up having to put out a statement declaring Joe's health. I love the internet and talk radio and all of that, but, man, I'm getting to old for this stuff ...

So our peeps are off to New Orleans today for the volunteering mission. Last I heard it seemed like another loyal bloggy had tracked down some tickets to them for the game at The Superdome, and if not I hope Scott emails me, because there might a contingency plan lined up ...

Still a little sore from my magnet tumble. But the bright spot is, we found a great handyman in a pinch before I headed to The Park yesterday. Dude only charged $57.57 to plug the gaping hole in the wall and put the railing back up, plus he was willing to work around Chloe's nap schedule, so my wife reports. Who said chivalry was dead?

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 13, 2006; 7:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Coach Joe - Doing Just Fine
Next: Calling All Club Level Peeps

Comments

J-La, nice on the rise-and-shine, posting at 7am! I say ditch the fridge magnets, she'll never use them anyway (ask parent pals if you don't believe me).

On Reggie Bush, yes way. I'm thinking he wants to show up teammate 7th rounder Colsten for rookie of the year. My only hope is that Coach Payton wants to rest the starters for the playoffs after they go up 14 points.

I'm bummed about McCune, particularly b/c his snatch up vindicates the Skins philosophy of not relying on the draft and building from within. Never quite understood why he didn't get more field time (other than Lemar Marshall doing just fine).

Posted by: dcsween | December 13, 2006 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Despite rumors of my disappearance -- just breezed thru the DC Sports Blog and saw something along those lines! -- I'm back!

Saint Joe of Canton
Faces Divine Miracle
True Saints in Bayou

Posted by: HaikuMan | December 13, 2006 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs is most certainly in a wreck at 4-9! It's just lasting 17 weeks instead of 1.7 seconds.....

Posted by: Montana'Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 8:30 AM | Report abuse

J LA - I just e-mailed you regarding trying to help get the volunteers some tix to the game in NO. Please get back to me ASAP if you they still need tix. I will help anyway that I can. My email includes my phone numbers with a 717 area code.

Good luck to all of the volunteers.

Oh, and the Skins will shock the big easy baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: PA Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I can see it now...Rocky getting plates put in his ankles next week after Bushmasta gives him a Carlos "headfake"! Can't gaurd that, right Carlos?

Colston - I really try not to talk about fantasy, BUT, that guy was the GREATEST PICK UP I've ever made. In my life. Better than the crabs in 99 and the clap in Indy.

It's hump day folks! Let's get posting!

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | December 13, 2006 8:47 AM | Report abuse

JLa,

Hysterical. Revenge of the Nerds is one of my all-time favorite movies and the title really got me laughing this morning. Thanks.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 13, 2006 8:50 AM | Report abuse

PG,

At least the clap can be treated. I picked up the High-5 from one of those 40 some's in Broad Ripple.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 13, 2006 8:52 AM | Report abuse

the good news is, everyone is okay... Jason's arse is alright, Jason's wall is fixed, Joe Gibbs is fine, the Redskins are headed to the playoffs... wait. Shoot. Nevermind.

3 out of 4 ain't bad. I can really see Drew Brees tearing up the skins secondary. I can really see The saints running game tearing up our front line. I actually have no faith they can win this weekend. jm220 and scott and everyone else down there, you guys rock. Good luck with the tickets.

I love on Redskins.com the survey of the day... What should the Redskins focus on in the remaining three games of the regular season?

Smash-mouth football: Run Betts

Playing more aggressive on defense

Identifying core Redskins

Develop young players, rookies

Fixing mistakes: penaties, turnovers

Wins...I want to see wins!

Sadly, 17.8 % said we should spend it "identifying core Redskins". What crap. As soon as they are identified, we trade them or release them or they opt out of their contracts and pay to get the heck out of dodge. At least 30% said they should develop young talent/rookies. Too bad "fight their guts out" wasn't an option. That might have taken the cake.

The Dorf Abides

Posted by: Dorf | December 13, 2006 9:07 AM | Report abuse

BASH ME ALL YOU WANT. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THE COWBOYS HAVE A BETTER RECORD AND ARE HEADING TO THE PLAYOFFS WHILE THE SKINNIES HAVE ONE OF THE WORST RECORDS IN THE LEAGUE AND WILL BE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS FOR 2/3 GIBBS ERA II SEASONS. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I can easily see the Saints march all over us....it will probably be really ugly. My only hope is that Payton was able to game plan for the Cowboys so well last weekend because he knows them inside and out....and that he will be a little easier on us.

Posted by: Lisa | December 13, 2006 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Man the last thread brought back some old memories. Good free agent/trades - We picked up a pretty good left Otackle named Jim Lachey after Joe Jacoby retired to his car dealership. Jim played well for the skins for a number of years making the pro bowl most of them.

Dave Butz came on a trade from the old St. Louis Cardinals; Pat Fisher from the same team. George Allen made a living from picking up old retreads from other teams and getting effective play from them. His philosophy was that they made fewer mistakes than rookies. When he was head coach (and general manager) we almost never drafted anyone - all the picks got traded to other teams for their vets.

That approach worked for him then but is no good now under the current free agency rules.

It will be interesting to see what skins show up to play this weekend. There should be a lot of jobs on the line (except for our current crop of overpriced free agents).

If Williams does return (and I have a hard time seeing anyone else wanting him after the way his defense has played this year) he really needs to look at dropping/replacing some of his subordinate coaches - defensive backs/linebackers have underperformed consistently this year. If you can't teach a professional how to play cover 2 then your coaching skills are definitely suspect. I believe that Rodgers is capable of playing corner in the league but has just given up. He definitely has been quitting once a receiver gets a single step on him and the safety situation just exacerbates the problem. The linebackers don't cover, can't blitz and don't tackle well. They have been a real disaster all year - particularly the left side.

Weather down here in NC is supposed to be beautiful over the weekend. Think I'll play golf and record the game for a later dose of misery. All this dumb penalty losing is getting old.

Posted by: oldskinsfan | December 13, 2006 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Who reported there was a accident??

Posted by: 4th Floor | December 13, 2006 9:16 AM | Report abuse

great article today JLa. Looks like brickhands Rogers needs some serious time in pass catching drills.

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | December 13, 2006 9:20 AM | Report abuse

My expectations for this game are so low, but I feel like I need to have some goals for the team. Last week's penalties reminded me of the beginning part of the season. We had been trending better on penalties since about the Panthers game. I'd like to see that get under control. I'd like to see Cooley hang onto the ball better. He's normally got such sticky hands, the past two games worry me about whether something is messing around in his head. Other than that? I'd like to see some individual players have huge days, not just one or two big plays. I'd like to see something exciting on special teams ... maybe Danny Smith can hang onto his job (note how St. Joe only said that Saunders and Grill would be back).

This week, I'm going to be paying more attention around the league for my post-season betting. Can the Saints beat the Bears for the NFC title? Will Schaub start for the Falcons as a QB with Vick starting as a RB? [Or will Atlanta just officially change over to that Arkansas offense where they don't have a QB at all, just two tailbacks, one of whom takes the ball out of shotgun?] Will the Donkeys just crumble notwithstanding Shanahan's extreme efforts NOT to move up in the draft? Are the Colts really that done? Does Miami run the table and make it as a wild card (then onto the SB when McCune gets a ring)? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: dcsween | December 13, 2006 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Sween- I'd have to argue that Danny Smith should stay if only for the fact that we've had more big plays on special teams then the defense has put together all year.

We're going to need depth in the secondary...Rumph and Wright should hopefully be gone. Anyone know what corners are up for FA in the offseason?

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | December 13, 2006 9:26 AM | Report abuse

By the way, mad props to Lenny Shap for calling out Comcast, and moreso the Skins, this morning.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 13, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Oldskinsfan is like the grandpa of this blog...I love that dude!

The fact is pre-Danny Boy the skins were great at free agency and trades. Betherd never kept a high draft pick. Gibbs Mach I was filled with studds and castoffs we got in "Plan B" free agency and scanning the waiver wire. Than we were the first team to make a big splash in the then new free agency system with Wilbur Marshall.

I think one way we can do better in free agency is to look for bargains and vets that are still hungry. Bring back Troy Vincent he is perfect example of this.

My vote for Vet offseason get:

Donnie Edwards: The chargers are going to cut him. The dude is a tackle machine, can cover and could bring some vetern leadership to the LB core. His ego is in check so we can spot him some and get RockyMac in.

Randoms:

Is there a fund we can donate to the NO crue? Cover there travel exspenses or use as way to give to the groups they did volunteering for?

Posted by: chris Larry | December 13, 2006 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Hayes, see

Lots of people are getting excited by the idea of Nate Clements or Asante Samuels, particularly Clements and Samuels themselves, esp. b/c the Skins pass out huge FA contracts that are not contingent on playing well.

Posted by: dcsween | December 13, 2006 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Reggie isn't even the best rookie on his team.

I'm with PG, Colsten at TE has helped me out all year long in FF.

Posted by: Skinz | December 13, 2006 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Which reminds me. All this talk of Vince Young rookie of the year. Give me a break, he's the 31st ranked QB in the League.

Hester has the most td's for the team with the best record in the NFL. He also plays defense. How do you not give it to the kid?

Posted by: Skinz | December 13, 2006 9:46 AM | Report abuse

brees needs only 1050-ish yards in 3 games to break the nfl passing record...that's only 350 per game. or...only 450 for the last 2 games, cause i can see 42/46 for 622 yards and 8 TDs...and Rogers drops 3 more for a grand total of 10.

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 9:49 AM | Report abuse

And now, D-Snyd Records brings you this fabulous offer, guaranteed to warm the heart of any Redskins fan: the rock opera "Crummy"

You'll thrill at the power and masterful execution of hits you'll be singing to yourself for years as you wait for traffic to open up at the 270 split. Songs like this:

Ever since I was a young boy
I watched the Skins play ball
In my room I had a poster of Riggins on the wall
Until the team got hijacked by an owner not too tall
That deaf dumb and blind Dan
Sure screwed up Skins ball.

But wait--there's more! You'll never forget this haunting love song:

Vinny can you hear me?
Can you see me steaming?
Vinny are you crazy?
Redskins fans are screaming
Oooohhh Oh Vinny, Vinny, Vinny

Order now to ensure shipment before Christmas. Order two copies and we'll include at no additional charge the Carlos Rogers "Double Move" doll. Great for hours of entertainment.

Posted by: CrazyDanny'sEmporium | December 13, 2006 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Skinz, I loathe thee. Not really, but sort of... I loathe the people that picked him up and have played him as a TE (because they got to and I slept on the pickup).

That Colston TE eligibility on Yahoo is the biggest load of crapola EVER. He has never played TE, nor was he slated to. It's BS and Yahoo screwed the pooch on that one by not correcting that error early on in the season.

JLC, this blog is getting a little seedy for me. From the "We've Got Bush" title, to your sore and bruised bottom, to the $60 dollar "handyman," I need a shower... HA!

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 10:17 AM | Report abuse

LMAO

Posted by: thor | December 13, 2006 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Thanks CrazyDanny'sEmporium. Now The Who will be in my head all day.

Along the same lines, perhaps the only explanation for Dan and Vinny's mishandling of the Redskins: they're all wasted.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | December 13, 2006 10:30 AM | Report abuse

hey, i heard that the dec 30th game against the giants was being moved from 8pm to 1pm. but i can't find any official announcement of this. has anybody heard this announced for certain?

Posted by: #50 Ravin Caldwell fan | December 13, 2006 10:39 AM | Report abuse

damn...moving from 8pm to 1pm? sucks...i was looking forward to getting wasted on a saturday night at fedex. oh well.

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious, I nominate Emporium's post for post of the day. Put it in the paper Cindy.

Bucktown,

I almost posted about my friends whining about the TE eligibility. Your bitterness, like theirs, warms my hearth this holiday season. Thank you.

Posted by: Skinz | December 13, 2006 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Skinz, I'm in the semi-finals in two leagues right now. In my Yahoo league, I'm going against a Dolphins fan who has Colston with TE eligibility, and in my CBS/money league, I have Colston as one of my 3 WRs.

I think I'm going to lose the Yahoo matchup (he also has LT) anyway, and Colston is playing the Skins so I can't/won't root for him. I'm screwed...

Stupid frickin-frack Yahoo TE eligibility... hahaha

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Colston is about as much of a tight end as Elton John is. (Since the thread is already seedy).

Posted by: SMACK | December 13, 2006 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Good article by Jason.

Interesting on Greggie's lack of turnover production in his tenure at Snuffalo.

I am telling ya, that guy is bad news!

While I am a Giants fan, I have lived in DC for 20 years. I follow the 'skins closely. Having been a fan of a team with a owner who understands the meaning of the word family (the Mara family's loyalty is Abe Pollin-ish), Snyder's apparent inability to foster any loyalty sickens me.

I still don't understand how the Giants ended up with the Skins two best linebackers from two years ago.

Posted by: relocatedgiantsfan | December 13, 2006 10:52 AM | Report abuse

This is a game the skins will win. Its just one of those situations where the Saints will get too conservative after the big win over the Boys and Betts gets another 150 rushing. The defense will rally after being insulted by JLa's article and blog and get 3 turnovers.

Mark the tape...

Posted by: Jack Kent Cooke | December 13, 2006 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Damak and Jilard at Tinagra.

Shaka - when the walls fell.

His eyes closed.

Posted by: Jean-Luc Picard | December 13, 2006 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The game is still at 8pm on the 30th. It's the NFLNetwork Saturday night game and the new flex scheduling doesn't allow for moving that game to 1pm to be replaced by another game at 8pm to draw higher ratings.

Posted by: ME | December 13, 2006 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Danny'sEmporium, will this one be on the new album?

We'll fire up the plane and bring in Dwight Freeney
Pour the owner a vodka martini
Smile and grin, raise prices all around
Rogers will get a lot more picks
Than he did in two-thousand-and-six
And Ricky Bobby will re-up his tix
We'll all get fooled again

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | December 13, 2006 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I have some questions I wonder if y'all could provide some insight on. 1) Does the TJ signing/not playing situation hurt the 'Skins' ability to sign FA's in the future? Is it possible they might be thinking the 'Skins are just signing them to keep them from another team with no intention of playing them? 2) In the same light, does the constant scapegoating and doghousing of stars by Grrwilliams hurt the ability to bring in new defensive players? 3) It seems as if there is an awful lot of sand/sawdust on the field at FedEX. I know it's been a pretty mild winter so far so the grass shouldn't have gone dormant already. I don't remember seeing RFK with that much sand on the field to fill in spots. Is there something wrong with the turf at FedEX? Thanks.

Posted by: ME | December 13, 2006 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Joe....amazing...wish i was to busy to add to the fun....

Me: agreed the turf looked horrific...like old school philly vet bad..

Posted by: chris Larry | December 13, 2006 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Danny must be chomping at the bit with Jerry announcing the new Cowboys stadium plans. Capable of holding 100k. Retractable roof. No doubt a Super Bowl in the near future. A new Skins stadium can't be far behind.

Posted by: CMoney | December 13, 2006 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I think Brees will break Marino's record by going 1100 yards against Deadskins. I think our defense will be throwing up at the sidelines by Reggie Bush's dancing ability on the field. I will enjoy every moment of this embarrasment to the redkins organization. The only person I will really feel bad for is Jason Campbell. I hope and pray that he doesn't committ any turnovers.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 11:28 AM | Report abuse

1) I think it took a little while for the Saints to figure out how to use Bush in the best way. The fact is, even when he doesn't have the ball, opposing Ds are terrified of him. It's amazing to watch them react to a fake to Bush.

2) If the rookie of the year is based on facts and reality, Vince Young should win the award in a walk. Tennessee is one of the worst football teams put together since the invention of the game. The dude is 6-4 since taking over (including 4 straight wins) becuase he wins football games. Colston has had a nice year ruining fantasy seasons because he was TE eligible but he is a cog in a machine with lots of weapons. Vince Young has pick up an entire bootsy squad and given them an outside shot to contend.

3) There is a chance the Saints could score 100 points on Sunday. Bet the over.

4) I'm actually far more worried about McCallister killing us on strong runs where we have to respect everyone.

5) I'm even more afraid of the 74 deep passes to fast receivers running past our unfast coverage persons.

6) I'm even still more afraid of the awful commentators we will get.

7) I loved that shot of the Pig Mercenary on the sideline after the New Orleans RUYA (Right Up Your ____) onside kick. Awesome.com.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | December 13, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

ArtMonkToTheSticks, two questions:

1) Do you think your television might jump off your TV stand (in it's own best interest) if Brian Baldinger and Bill Maas were in the booth together? What if Paul McGuire came in as a guest? I think that could be considered the definition of the 5th level of hell... borderline 6th level.

2) I know you and the Gov are big Al Saunders fans, and I respect that. So I wonder, what did you think of his play calling last week? I thought it was atrocious.

I think the Skins need consistency more than anything, and I want him to stay, but he really needs to get it together. Are the Skins really just one big SNAFU'd clusterf@ck, right now? Or is he one of the major causes?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The most depressing thing about last week was at the end of the each half when we had them on the ropes we let them up for air...

You cant tell me ANY of our RBs couldnt have gotten in on 4 straight runs...the 12 men on the field is a coaching issue..have Betts in there on first down, run...keep personel in down...run...repeat no subbing just line up and snap...they hadnt stop us for less than 2 al game!!!! They were gassed, huffing, hands on hips...dont even huddle or sub just line up and hike..

Bucktown...I agree keep him b/c the change would be bad...but he needs to get with the program...

Posted by: chris Larry | December 13, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I still don't get the whole Al Saundes fault. It's Gibbs fault he wanted to reinvent the wheel. Al Suanders is a proven commodity and with the kid in we've seen what he can do. It wasn't fair to blaim Al when he had a qb who threw 8 yard "bombs".

I will say that getting away from the run two games ago was retarded however.

Posted by: Skinz | December 13, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

As long as Jim Belushi doesn't show up, your TV just might spare itself.

Posted by: SMACK | December 13, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA!!!

Elton John vs Yahoo Colston for TE of the year....classic.

Did we ever hear what happened to Diddy at the Ad contest?

R bobby - Broad Nipple ladies not only gave you clap but voted Dfly hottest guy in attendance. How much more unfair can it be?

Let's karoake this wknd - I got "don't stop believin" on right now.

did I just write that?

PG

Posted by: Pub | December 13, 2006 12:04 PM | Report abuse

test

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS FIRE JOE GIBBS

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey gang just wanted to check in and let everyone know that things down in N.O. are going great. I've already gotten a ton of beads for showing off my own "man-rack".

Posted by: jm220 | December 13, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown: my head might explode like a zit with that combo.

As to Saunders, I agree with you. The plays called last week left a lot to be desired. We were exceptionally predictable. I attribute that to 2 things:

1) We left ourselves in some bad situations via penalty and bad execution.
We were so obviously going run, run, pass which is why those 4 different drives all stalled and led to field goals. We also got into 3rd and longs b/c of penalties (goal line situation for example)

2) The young man quarterbacking us simply does not know all the plays and we have a limited menu to choose from. I do not play the Soup at all, rather a terrible miss-management that left him holding clip boards and running the scout team. That dude needed reps and he got swing passes to Manuel White Jr for the nut-O.

Saunders has been a GZA at every stop. His track record is success. Our track record over the last several years without him is failure (with 1 flare up). To me, you have to keep him. If you can point to a reason why his system isn't working here, it would have to be that the players we have are not as good as the players he had in KC and STL (I'm thinking linemen specifically). This means that we don't have good players in a lot of spots. This is something you cannot blame the GZA for. I really hope he stays.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | December 13, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Quoting Booger... does it get any better than this?!

Posted by: Redskinrex | December 13, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"Saunders has been a GZA at every stop."

I'd rather have the RZA, the real genius.

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"OHHHHH, Hair pie".... got to love Takashi.

I'd love to do some kaROCKie, but I'm going to need to fit it in around my physical therapy for my knee. By the way, I still can't get over how great of a voice you have... and I'm sure the recording I heard wasn't studio quality either.

Joe in Raleigh, good stuff.

jm, I'm jealous. Redskin Roadtrips are one of the best times of the year for me (minus the game of course).

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 13, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Ricky Bobby, I was waiting for someone to drop a Lambda Lambda Lambda bomb on me.
That movie holds up well 20 years later. Some things never change.

Actually the second time I've floated it - then again, have there ever been two better sentences uttered in movie history?

During the World Cup I was blogging about then Aussie Coach Guus (pronounced Goose) Hiddink, and used a similar title. Even then, the profoundness of Booger shined through, and many people caught the reference right away.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | December 13, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Why apologize for calling the Skins "Doormats?" They are! And they have been for all but two of the last 14 years! Even when they make the playoffs they lose to really lousy teams like Oakland.

Posted by: Reskinrex | December 13, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

wu-tang forever!!

but the NFL changed game times before this year's flex schedule crap...so couldn't they still change our 12/30 game time from 8pm to something else? a chick who works at the stadium mentioned the 12/30 time change to a friend of mine. we're still trying to confirm or deny it.

Posted by: #50 Ravin Caldwell fan | December 13, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Hollywood, I agree with you sir. Keep in mind though that The RZA charges 20Gs a session...

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | December 13, 2006 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 12:11 PM

Who ya got...Scott Hall or "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash

Posted by: Fake Sting | December 13, 2006 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Sportstalk 980 ALERT: BMitch is out on vaca. Marc Stern is in. Actually worth listening to.

Posted by: CMoney | December 13, 2006 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the substitution because Rabach broke his hand and had to come out? I think subbing is warranted when a dude snaps his hand. Still, someone should have made sure the right guys were in.

I thought this past week was some of the best playcalling of the season. Lots of running, some shots downfield and well-timed trickery. The offense isn't the problem. The defense is bad in every way possible.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | December 13, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I just remembered that I actually yelled out my favorite quote from that movie last weekend directly after a buddy of mine let out a long lingering burp. I bellowed it in my finest Ogre impersonation:

"NNNNEEEEEEEERRRRRRRDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS!!"

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 12:25 PM | Report abuse

J-La,

Great article on the woes of the Skins' defense under Williams. One thing I was wondering that you might want to look into, or perhaps you already know: what are the overall stats for the Skins defense from the Marvin Lewis years through this season? The reason I'm asking is that under Lewis, the Skins had a damn good D. Williams comes in and in his 1st year has a top five defense (if I'm not mistaken) in his first year. His second years there's a big drop-off but they close out strong to end up, I think, in the top ten. And now this year they're at or near the bottom.

So, you see where I'm going with this...? If you were to plot a curve to see a long-term trend, it would be, I think, a peak under Lewis carrying over into Williams's first year and heading straight down as Williams puts his stamp on the defense, especially regarding personnel: who plays, who's picked up and who's let go.

To me that would be the biggest indictment of Greg Williams, our most spectacular bust in the free agent market for some time.

Posted by: jakeweed | December 13, 2006 12:26 PM | Report abuse

from what i read on nfl.com, games are 1 and 4 are interchangable up to the week before the game. BUT as the person stated earlier, they can't change national TV games that ARE NOT flex scheduling.

cause, come to think of it, does the country really wanna see Seattle vs. SF this thursday? Philly-Cleveland last thursday?
they can only change flex scheduling games and 1/4 pm games on sunday.

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

So many great quotes from that flick...

Booger: What the #### is a frush?

Gilbert: We've adjusted the javelin to fit Lamar's lip wristed throwing motion...

And of course...

Booger: YOU MOO'S SURE CAN PARTY!!!!

Man, I might have to pop that movie in tonight when I get home.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | December 13, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This is a tale of two sports teams that are bound to underachieve. The Saints on a high will lose to the unachieving Redskins! The potential to get blown out like Dallas scares the Skins into playing ball. Saints relax just a little and it bites them. Bush will have a highlight type play, but the Saints loose. About to call my boy down in the big easy and tell him the same!

Posted by: RobGreg | December 13, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I got the backs of both Scott "Razor Ramon" Hall and Kevin "Big Sexy" "Diesel" Nash because us 3 are "The Outsiders" and the founding members of the nWo. Plus all 3 of us are just tooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. nWo and wolfpac 4 life!

On a related note, Kevin Nash was actually "Super Shredder" in 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze' starring one Vanilla Ice.

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Joe, Betts gets, what, like 70+ yards in the first quarter, and the Eagles looked like a friggin sieve on run D. Why do you EVER stop running?

The slant pass to Cooley!?! They went 3 and out when they started doing that crap.

I don't care if JC ends up with 3 pass attempts on the day. Betts got 170+ yards, and should have had more. Put in TJ for a while and let him get a hundo too. There is NO reason for gimmicks when the run game is dominating the defense AND their mothers.

In fact, I think half of the Eagles D may now have little brothers that look like Betts and hate the Eagles with a passion.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Dan Snyder is PO'd about the amount of money paid out compared to the performance turned in? I would be. It's time for a change in hiring practices.

Posted by: CuriousGeorge | December 13, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I like to give blumpkins to my buddy Danny-boy.

Posted by: Vinny Cerrato | December 13, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes, JoeinRaliegh, you asked for it, you've got it...."Danny Does Who?" This is the collection of a lifetime by a man who considers avarice one of the basic food groups. Remember this gem?--

"I'd gladly give up all my draft picks,
Surrender your good team for bad..."

or how about this classic?--

"Happy Joe wasn't told but he wasn't good.."

Make this your "Double Move" Christmas and headfake your way down to our place, where great deals are just sugarplum fairies dancing in your head.

Posted by: CrazyDanny'sEmporium | December 13, 2006 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Hollywood -

So, I was watching the wwe 24/7 network the other night and they had some old wcw nitro highlights, right when the NWO were at their peak. The "million $$ man" Ted DiBiase was with the NWO. Found that fascinating b/c i have no memory of that....damn natty light.

Posted by: Fake Sting | December 13, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

A few points...Remember, it's Al Saunders who designs and calls the running plays. People seem to give credit to Gibbs when we run the ball. The running offensive game plan and execution has been outstanding the last few weeks. Saunders has also put in some plays to get Campbell running as well. The 3rd and 10 scramble to set up the much discussed 1st and goal was beautiful--Cooley the main receiver going over the middle, Moss as a decoy running to the back right of the endzone and Campbell rolling to the right. If they come off Moss, he throws it. If they don't, he runs for 15 yards like he did. The passing game is suffering right now b/c Campbell is not making quick enought decisions. The 3rd down pass for ARE that was deflected on our first drive last game is a perfect example of a ball that should have thrown 2-3 seconds earlier and would have been a big gain. And Campbell had great protection then too.

Posted by: Don't Blame Saunders | December 13, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse

man rack? is jm220 Bangbros? a big 10-4 on the blog seediness.

going out of town this weekend gentle people, gots me a wedding to crash... keep up the good work on the blog. Nah'lins Crue, mad respect.

Abiding

Ricky Bobby, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Posted by: Dorf | December 13, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

scott hall and kevin nash were two of the coolest wrestlers....still remember the ladder match razor had with shawn michaels. caught national attention cause he pulled michaels pants down while he was climbing the ladder. and the days of D generation X. damn...good ol' days when wrestling was good. until about 5 years ago when stone cold and the Rock left. and when Vince McMahon went from insane to off-the-bleepin-chart. i remember Monday Night Raw actually beat out MNF once, which was also huge.
but of course they always had to get canceled for the damn dog show every year. freakin' westminster.

Posted by: dub-dub-eff | December 13, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason's editor | December 13, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking...what are we going to talk about during the offseason?

Some suggestions:

- Entourage Season 3, Part Deux
- The inevitable free agent derby
- Cocktail of the week
- The ongoing dating history of sad-sack bloggers
- Where's Adam? The weekly Archuleta report.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Continuing the Who theme:

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)
Just because we stink all around (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)
Things they do look awful c-cold (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)
I hope Dan is gone before I get old (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)

Skins degeneration
This is Skins degeneration, baby

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Continuing the Who theme:

People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)
Just because we stink all around (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)
Things they do look awful c-cold (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)
I hope Dan is gone before I get old (Talkin' 'bout Skins degeneration)

Skins degeneration
This is Skins degeneration, baby

Posted by: Pigskin | December 13, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Here you go, from the NFL Record and Fact Book (in my humble opinion, the greatest book ever published; when the new edition arrives every August, several co-workers and i have a little ceremony...wait, that's too much info....):

"The season signals the advent of primetime flexible scheduling. That process will take place on Sunday nights on NBC in seven of the season's final eight games, from Weeks 10-15 and in Week 17.
The move will be announced 12 days before the game. For Week 17, the move may be announced six days before the game. Flexible scheduling will ensure quality matchups on Sunday night in those weeks and give surprise teams a chance to play their way onto primetime."

Posted by: Jason's editor | December 13, 2006 12:48 PM | Report abuse

haha...where's adam?--BRILLIANT

we could get pictures of the sidelines from each week and make a book similar to "where's waldo"...try to find ADAM, cause he sure as hell ain't on the field. just ogtta make sure the pics are on plays where he isn't the super-reliable punt protector (except for the one that got blocked)...

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

With McCune signed to Miami, the Skins picked up LB Anthony Trucks to practice squad. This says he's a 'tweener' (between safety/linebacker). Looks like Arch Deluxe replacement to me:

Posted by: dcsween | December 13, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ah yes good 'ol Ted Dibiase. There were times when he would let us all take turns wearing his Million Dollar Belt.

However, don't forget that in our stable we also had: The Giant/Big Show, Vincent (Virgil), Syxx, Marcus "Buff" Bagwell, Eric Bischoff, Miss Elizabeth (R.I.P.), Curt "Mr. Perfect" Henning (R.I.P.), Konnan, Referee Nick Patrick, Dennis Rodman, V.K. Wallstreet, Big Bubba Rogers, "Ravishing" Rick Rude (R.I.P.), "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Scott Steiner, Scott Norton, Brian Adams, The Deciple, Horace Hogan, Stevie Ray, Lex Luger, Disco Inferno, Dusty Rhodes, The Great Muta, Masahiro Chono, AKIRA, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Hiro Saito, Tatsutoshi Goto, Michiyoshi Ohara, Louie Spicolli, Bret "The Hitman" Hart, Jeff Jarrett, Ron and Don Harris, Xpac.

Oh the good times we all had.

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 12:51 PM | Report abuse

same book can be applied for TJ Duckett....'cept it'll be real easy to find him...just find the whitest jersey. he'll stick out like waldo did in that dark forest with his super-bright candy-cane outfit.

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

If you recall all the comments in training camp, everyone knew the offense wasn't going to really come together until mid-November. Voila! Here we are, and the offense is beginning to come together.

The 'Skins were hoping their defense could keep them in games, get them to 6-5, and get them in a position to make a run. As it turns out, had they won those (entirely winnable) Minnesota and Tennessee games, they would have been exacty where they expected.

Of course, they lost those games because the defense couldn't stop anyone and (as expected) the offense wasn't fully put together. I think we can all agree that over the course of the season the defense absolutely let them down, and here we are.

Even with Lloyd and ARE playing at a sub-mediocre level, the offense has done well the last few games. They've had to play a rookie at QB with nothing left to play for, but if they were still in the thick of things, Brunell (horror!) would probably still be under center and the three rookie mistakes that Campbell has committed the last two games would likely not have happened.

I honestly don't believe Al Saunders is the problem with this team. And I don't think Gregg Williams's coaching is to blame either. In hindsight, the collective coaching staff and front office made some horrible personnel decisions during the offseason, and they're paying the price for that now. They have also been unfortunate in the injury department, but to me that is not an excuse in the NFL. Every team has injury problems, that's just the way it is.

Bottom line: don't be quick to call for the heads of these coaches. Each one of them has proven that they have the ability to coach and win in the NFL.

Breathe. Take the offseason off and get in game shape for next year. Me, I'm going to try and learn about Scotch and Whiskey in 2007. That should get me in good condition for the inevitable September collapse.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

J-La,

Matsuzaka is on de-plane back to Boston. Sounds like they got a contract done.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | December 13, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Diddy.

Posted by: Skinz | December 13, 2006 1:03 PM | Report abuse

My brother has a "legends of wrestling" game for XBOX... its outstanding. Except for the fact that Razor Ramon and JYD didnt make the cut.

I am just now getting back into Smackdown...Bradshaw is entertaining even the show is lacking overall.

Posted by: Jack Kent Cooke | December 13, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy,

I like your optimism and I very much hope that you are right. In general, I don't have a problem with Saunders--not yet at least, it's too early to tell if he's The Man or not. I am very skeptical of Williams, though. And the nearly constant mental errors, mistakes, penalties, etc. (did anyone understand the explanation for the too-many men-on-the-field penalty that was such a back-breaker last Sunday???) tells me that there is something wrong with the coaching. It is probably not that individually the coaches are deficient. But the overall arrangement seems not to be working at all. I don't know if it's a case of too many cooks in the kitchen or what, but the whole of the Redskins coaching staff is a lot less than the sum of the individually talented parts.

So, I wish I could share your optimism, but the idea of going out and getting what seems to be "the best" coaches at all the positions has yielded decidedly sub-optimal results.

Posted by: jakeweed | December 13, 2006 1:07 PM | Report abuse

jakeweed,

There's no question the defense has been abominable this season. I'm sure part of it has to do with coaches. But at the end of the day, coaches aren't your mommies and players aren't 13 years old. The players have to play, and they haven't done their part either.

Don't forget, the last two years, Gregg Williams and his staff were "geniuses". I don't think you're ever as brilliant as people tell you are, and I don't think you're ever as stupid as people tell you are either. These are good, proven coaches. And I certainly don't think you all of a sudden forget how to coach after one year.

This is a bad year. Just write it off.

I just wish Entourage would start up again.

BTW, Cindy, I ordered a few Junior's Cheesecakes for my birthday parties the next 3 days. I can't get a decent flight to New Orleans (minimum flight time: 8 hours, to say nothing of the pain in the neck that is the TSA), otherwise I'd be down there for dinner at K-Paul's Friday night.

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Cleveland Steamer?

Posted by: Bangbros | December 13, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Hollywood -

I do believe xpac and syxx where the same individual (shawn Waltman). You left my namesake off the list as well.

Posted by: Fake Sting | December 13, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

People are on crack if they think Redskins will beat NO. We couldn't even beat the vikings, tennessee, tampon bay, atlanta or philadelphia (without McNabb). How the hell are we suppose to beat NO. Take a look at the mirror skins fan the whole team sucks. The only player that is worthy of a trade is CP, the rest are average or below average.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Good points P Diddy. Especially about the offense and Saunders. I agree, the offense is coming around. Saunders play-calling is way over-scrutinized. Last game's 1st and goal from the 3 is a good example. "Just give it to Betts" was said a million times. But his last 7 carries at that point produced only one carry longer than 3 yards. And one was a 3rd and 2 run that he looked to be short on (Philly took the illegal formation penalty). Gibbs made the call that Duckett is our goal line/short yardage back (when did that happen?), not Saunders. And Cooley fell down on one of the pass attempts. I honestly think running Betts 3 or 4 times would not have gotten the TD. But everyone wants to blame Saunders and the play-calling. If anyone is to blame, its Gibbs. Way too conservative with 4th down calls-down 18 in the 3rd quarter and you kick a FG on 4th and 2????--that's where the game was lost.

Posted by: Don't Blame Saunders | December 13, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the Saints are going to run the table, head into the playoffs with a ton of momentum, and play the Chargers in what could be one of the best Super Bowls ever.

I also think Sean Payton is Coach of the Year, and Drew Brees is the MVP. LT is clearly the Offensive Player of the Year. Defense? No idea. Rookie? Has to be Devon Hester, doesn't it?

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jack Kent Cooke | December 13, 2006 01:05 PM

Yeah, smackdown is pretty beat. although the boogeyman is quite interesting. Has anyone been watching TNA wrestling....it's gettin real good. they are bringing in big names and have started taking on air shots at McMahon and wwe. kee an eye on it

Posted by: Fake Sting | December 13, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"I've already gotten a ton of beads for showing off my own "man-rack"."

Careful there with your wording, jm220, lest you send Jane Doe into a nonrecoverable flat spin.

Great work you are doing down there, by the way. It's nice to know you will be showing the NO folks that not all the free agents from DC who show up there are slackers.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah i realized that I already included Syxx/Xpac twice after hitting the 'submit' button. I haven't taken my vitamins or said my prayers today so forgive me. Also I didn't include you because I thought you being included was a given. My apologizes if you were offended. One of my biggest regrets was not being able to entice Sensational Sherry to join the nWo. Oh well.

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, Diddy!!!!!!!!! Hope you like Junior's. I would recommend hitting the gym afterwards, maybe take a steam with some of the Sonic-ettes.
I think we'll need an onsite editor when Skins come to Seattle!

Posted by: Jason's editor | December 13, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

"i'm doublechecking, but i echo what k-man said. also, the whole point of flex scheduling was to give nbc's "snf" broadcast compelling matchups....someday, that'll matter to the nfl network, but not in its present nascent state."

Great research work there, Cindy. Your reward for such due diligence is a complimentary free weekend in Miami with the BK King as your escort!

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | December 13, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Saunders is not the problem. Give the man a chance - his system is proven and it takes a year or so to get the hang of it.

Also, he was held back from having Brunell as the QB for most of the season. - Brunell was not a good fit for Saunders system.

Additionally, he is a stand up guy who always meets with the media through all the bad times....does not shy away.

Posted by: Lisa | December 13, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I could get the King to take one of his Evel Knievel jumps and die early into the weekend. Otherwise, that's 48 hours in Creepsville for me! (And Lisa.)

Posted by: Jason's editor | December 13, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

before x-pac and syxx, wasn't he the 1-2-3 Kid? I think so, after he became part of D-X, he changed to X-pac...or something like that. he was Razor's lil sidekick when he was 1-2-3...and all fo that sorta carried them into DX....sickest wrestling group of all time...with Triple H, who's highly underrated (anyone who's in the Coors Light Man-law commercial is cool as $*%&), they dominated WWF for as long as they existed...

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

If you gave the GZA a whack (pronounced fwack) beat, you are going to get a whack song with a tight verse. If you give the GZA a tight beat, you get "4th Chamber". Myself and AMTTS are of the same mind on this: our linemen are not athletic and are unable to run the stuff Saunders wants. This is why they probably tweaked the run plays the last few weeks.

So when the RZA comes into the studio and sees the ODB sitting in front of him passed out from a three-day bender with an empty bottle of Scope and a half-drunk forty in front of him instead of Ghostface and Inspectah Deck, he's going to give him a simple beat and try and turn it into "Shimmy Shimmy Ya".

Al Saunders is awesome and my opinion of him has not changed other than he was incredibly mistaken in not coaching up Campbell more instead of having him throw dump offs to Farris Bueller.

I actually think you will see the "Urban Meyer Effect" next year where the O is super tight. Now, it won't matter in the slightest if the D can't stop anybody because then we become the Cardinals.

Subject that is burning me up that I have to write about quickly before I have a heart attack: Freddy Adu. I am in shock. What the hell is the matter with American Soccer? What happened? So DC United decided to stick with the Dictator coach instead of with the Future? I know Adu asked out, but that is after all of the nonsense. Freddy Adu's mishandling is one of the tragedies of sports in this country in my humble opinion. Everyone was so concerned with Adu not becoming a diva that they leaned on him so hard until he actually became one. You had a great kid who loved the game and all of the potential in the world, and they turned him into a talented player who likely will never realize his potential. That idiot Bruce Arena didn't put him on the US squad because he was so concerned with messaging instead of giving the Future a taste of the world scene and having someone who is actually exciting and can provide a spark on the team. England brought the Walcott kid...they know how it will pay off. Everyone has become so caught up with problems with the players that they have ignored the terrible failings of managers and coaches. This Klinsman disaster is just another case of a country not ready for the big time. So frustrating.

Posted by: The Governor | December 13, 2006 1:43 PM | Report abuse

D-X sucks. nWo 4 life baby!!!!! We'd blow DX out of the water any day. Triple H? hahahaha. Shawn Michaels? hahahahahaha

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

i meant Miller Lite Man law commerical....

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I say good ridance. For an alleged 17 year old kid he sure ran his mouth off enough for someone who hadn't really done much in MLS. Also, they were probably going to lose him this summer to Europe so why not get something in return for him now. What I think is great is all the kids who on Xmas morning opening up a gift only to pull out a DCU Freddy Adu #9 jersey. To see the look on their face, now that's priceless. That and the fact that there are tons of parents now scrambling around trying to return their recently purchased DCU Freddy Adu #9 jersey to the store and exchange it for another gift. Ah, good times.

Posted by: DCU fan | December 13, 2006 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Say, where are all the fans who thought I was crazy when I said spending 20+ million dollars for a third wide receiver was insane? Randle El really made the difference this year, huh?

Posted by: John Lease | December 13, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

P Diddy, in the offseason you can work up a script for the motion picture event of our lifetime, a sports fantasy where Joe Gibbs returns to the team he led to its greatest glory and turns them into champions again. It'll be a heart-wrenching story of love and redemption, overcoming obstacles, keeping the faith when all hope appears lost, etc. I've shopped the concept and there is a LOT of buzz building.

A secondary plotline will feature young fan Ricky B., whose irrepressible optimism and love for the team in the face of a terminal illness provide inspiration to them all the way through to the Big Game.

Happy birthday, by the way.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | December 13, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

hey there.
Trust me, my boy Freddy is in a much better place now. He needed to get out of there.

Just camne back from the most futile "open" locker room session ever. Not a soul around.

So my Sox got the Japanese pitcher, eh? That's good news.

Someone mentioned Marvin Lewis and turnvoers.
So the Skins are third worst the last 3 years with 64 turnovers - guess who;s first with 106 in that span????

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | December 13, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

nWo was pretty cool, I guess....I still remember being depressed when they revealed who the next member of NWO would be....I ordered The Great American Bash just for that reason. and sure enough, Hollywood was the one to join Scott and Kevin's "outsiders"....only to have hogan rename it to nWo....that was a monumental day in wrestling history. WCW was finally back on the map...

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Good riddance???!!! This is what I'm talking about. Just nonsense.

Soccer in America is a failure because of people like you...you can't see the big picture...the league will fold, man. Who will go to a DC United game ever again other than you and your 9 friends? I know I'm never giving them my money again.

Posted by: The Governor | December 13, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason, will you now finally concede that the Red Sox are if anything the Evil Empire Jr.? Have been for quite some time actually. $51.1 million just to negotiate with Scott Boras. Geez talk about Red Sox fans being hypocritical.

Posted by: "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan | December 13, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

come on Gov- everyone know's ADU is really 24 years old. He was barely good enough to crack the starting lineup- he should be gratefule for his 550k salary...

Posted by: ez e | December 13, 2006 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the 'Skins are at their holiday party. I've been taking my staff on long lunches all week. Two drink minimum!

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

jason wrote: guess who;s first with 106 in that span????

*raises hand lisa simpson style*

ummmmmmm CINCY????

really jason, that stat about doubleG's defense not being able to produce turnovers is a very very bad stat for a defense.

Posted by: dealer | December 13, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Carolina wants to draft Brady Quinn... If we can manage to lose enough games (which seems very very likely) rumor has it that Carolina will offer us the following:
Peppers, Foster,their 1st and 3rd picks for
Our 1st pick, Portis, Springs and Lloyd.

Posted by: Dumbest Rumor Ever | December 13, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

"Phillip Seymour Hoffman, by coincidence a lifelong Skins fan, is 'very interested' in playing the coach."

Now if we can only get Tom Cruise to play Dan Snyder, and Keanu Reeves to play Mark Brunell, it will be perfect.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | December 13, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

So, what happens during the offseason? Do Jason and Howard and the rest of the 'Skins gang take off, or do they cover the playoffs with Maske et al?

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Governor? LOL yeah ok keep making those assumptions. Let's see I've had season tickets for the past 5 years, went to this past years MLS Cup in Frisco, chat it up with Moreno, Gomez, Boswell, Perkins, have bought 2 DCU jerseys, hats, scarfs, etc. Yeah I guess no one in the Barra Brava, Screaming Eagles, etc will never go to a game again. Oh wait, they've been going, as have myself and alot of others, long before "Mr. Overrated Phenom" ever showed up. Yeah it's because of people like me the league will fold. Why dont you "know your role" (to take a DX? or some other wrestling stable slogan) before you run your mouth on an internet message board again. You my friend, are the one who looks like a fool. If anything its because of fickle people like you that the league will fold. And yes "good riddance." Anyone in this league or any other (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA) who hasn't accomplished squat needs to know they should keep their mouth closed. It was Freddy Adu, who ran his mouth last year about playing time, his position, etc. right as the playoffs were about to start.

Posted by: DCU fan | December 13, 2006 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Jason, this is my point...why on Earth did DC United side with Nowak on this? They had the ONE marketable player in the league, who by the way is nasty, and they sided with the idiot coach, who sucks by the way. DC United won the MLS Cup in spite of their coach, not because of him. And this is a broader issue across all sports. People always assume it is the player's fault or the player has an attitude problem, or the player is selfish instead of pointing the finger at the dumb managers and coaches. Happened with LaVar, happened with Adu...tired of it. I'm sure he's in a better place for him because he was in prison over here. Just ridiculous.

Posted by: The Governor | December 13, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about the overhyped, overrated, overloud Freddy Adu. He's nothing special. There are probably 500 Freddy Adus in Brazil. And unless he grows half a foot (taller I mean, but it wouldn't help if he could shoot either), puts on 50 pounds, and gets a lot faster, he ain't gonna make it in England either.

Posted by: SMACK | December 13, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2006 2:08 PM | Report abuse

There's a rumor going aroung that Christina Aguilera is going to leave her husband for a festively plump, erudite, charming, and sophisticated blog commenter named "P Diddy".

Posted by: P Diddy | December 13, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

If anything this is good for the league. He's now in another market which will draw more people to those games. DCU's fan base is the best in the country and they will have no problem continuing to draw the same # of crowds that they did during Adu's time here. You need to get your information straight before mouthing off (like Mr. Adu did). Too bad we can't trade you to some other team out west for draft picks and player allocations.

Posted by: DCU fan | December 13, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and maybe we can get the actor who played Booger to take on the role of JLaC!

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | December 13, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: k-man | December 13, 2006 01:41 PM

k-man, you are correct, 123 kid it was, i believe he got the name b/c in his first match w/ the wwf he "upset" an big name guy with the quick 123 count from the ref. you know, the one that usually occurs after a surprise "rollup", reversing the opponents finishing move.

Posted by: Fake Sting | December 13, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, Cindy, I ordered a few Junior's Cheesecakes for my birthday parties the next 3 days."

See... I told y'all P Diddy loved Junior's. Happy Birthday. Did the Denver trip happen? If so, how did it go?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | December 13, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

smack, i left a little some some for you on the jansen thread.

Posted by: dealer | December 13, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

FURTHER GOVERNOR, They didn't take Nowaks side. They took Christian Gomez's side. Gomez plays center midfield, the position Adu WANTED to play. Gomez was the MVP OF THE LEAGUE last year and there was no way that Adu was going to take his position.

Posted by: DCU fan | December 13, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

diddy, you're assuming that brunell would've made the throws jason made, escaped the pressure the number of times jason has, ran for first downs.

please don't forget that brunell had INT's in crucial situations this season as well.

i think it's been an upgrade over-all.

Posted by: dealer | December 13, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

i offer a blaw: no "skins fan" in your handle. it kinda gets confusing. we're all "fans" here. even smack...for this week.

ohh yeah...HAPPY TRES TRES BIRTHDAY PAAPI!!!!!!!!!!! i hope you have/had a good one. anything we can do to make this day a bit more memorable for you?

Posted by: dealer | December 13, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Somebody put out this fire that is creating so much heat and so little light. Who cares about a regional airline and some unhappy pilot?

Posted by: Mr. Soch Herr | December 13, 2006 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Diddy,
Jason will do some Skins in January, but Howard will take the bulk of the reps. Maske and Les will hit most of the playoff games. Jason will do a few, as will Mike Wilbon.

Posted by: Jason's editor | December 13, 2006 2:54 PM | Report abuse

...more Who theme for Crazy Danny's Emporium..."Tragic Busts"

On draft day we always snooze
(too much free agent busts)
jump on Redskin one and fly right to you
(too much free agent busts)

I'm so anxious I wring my hands and smile
(too much free agent busts)
Outbid other teams by a mile
(too much free agent busts)

I don't want to cause a fuss
(too much free agent busts)
but Archuleta deserves a Canton bust

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Posted by: keith moon | December 13, 2006 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Dice-K will open the door to the Japanese market to the Red Sox. Time for someone other than the Yankees to reap the dough waiting there. "Red Sox Nation"-san?

Hey, beat da Saints, will yous? Da Bears want to wrap up home field advantage now.

Da Skins! Gibbs should talk to Ditka.

Seriously, if the Skins would only manage their money smartly and create some accountability they'd be OK. You have the talent but suffered from injuries like the Bears in 2002...next year will be different.

In term of coaching, Saunders is about as effective as Terry Shea was in Chicago. I'm betting Joe made some corrections, including the balance with the run. Keep it up Joe.

Finish strong and get healthy. Good things are coming.

Posted by: Goldilocks | December 13, 2006 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Dealer - you nailed it.

Anyone who thinks MLS and DC Untied are not complicit in the over hyping and over selling of Freddy are crazy. The kid didn't hype himself. They're the ones who got his first game broadcast on ABC when he wasn't starting, and had him in the All Star game that first year, when Freddy would have been the first to admit he didn't belong there.
They put him in a ton of uncomfortable situations, wanted all the exposure and him doing a lot of media and commericials, and the league wanted him to miss practices to go do that stuff, then Novak would get mad. What's the kid suppsoed to do? The league owns his contract, not Novak.

Any one who saw him get subbed off in the last game, come on. That was a slap in the face. Then Gomez goes down and Peter really looks like an idiot.

They did very little to help develop the kid, and when he was 14 and the league was desperate to get him, that's what they sold his family on, but instead he became the coach's favorite whipping boy.

Don't get me wrong, Freddy was imature about some things, made some mistakes and struggled, as any teenager would in that situation. He knows he is not where he needs to be and has to get his game to a higher level. But is was completely clear that his best chance to do that was not here, and that was not one of DCu's priorities at this point, which is totally legit and their choice.

But a divorce was inevitable. There doesn't have to be a good guy or a bad guy here. just a case of needing to move on. And whther you like Freddy, support DCU, hate Real Salt Lake or whatever, if you care at all about US Soccer you should be rooting for this kid to thrive under John Ellinger, who he loves dearly, go have a great Under-20 World Cup this summer in Canada, and move on to bigger and better things in a few years.

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | December 13, 2006 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Well played, Keith Moon.

Jason, any truth to the rumor that the Skins have signed Pete Townsend to replace McCune?

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | December 13, 2006 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Moonie and Joe In Raliegh--

Consider yourselves lifetime members of the house band at CrazyDanny's Emporium. Well played, indeed!

Archuleta deserves a Canton bust...NOOOOOOOOO

Now that one is going to be in MY head all day!

Posted by: CrazyDanny'sEmporium | December 14, 2006 8:53 AM | Report abuse