What I Know About JC

I spent a lot of time around Jason Campbell and the people who know him best shortly after he was drafted, and, while I generally avoid vouching for how a pro athlete is going to conduct himself and don't make too many predictions, I will say this.: This kid is perfectly equipped to handle the pressure, scrutiny and potential trappings of his new job. Will he succeed on the field or not? No one knows, not even Coach Joe. But as a human being, he has the necessary skills.

The way he was raised, the way he conducts himself and the kind of person he has been all of his life - and I believe will continue to be - bodes well for all of the intangibles that come with starting at QB for the Skins. I spent a lot of time just walking around his tiny hometown, Taylorsville, Miss., popping in the few stores there, walking around the elementary and high school,. chatting casually with students, teachers, parents. I have never heard such overwhelmingly glowing things about a young man.

I drove to Auburn, where he went to school, hung out in the office of Campbell's final O-coordinator Al Borges for a long time and heard story after story of the way he led the team. Conducting practices on his own time in the offseason, driving to the dorms of the underclassmen on the team to make sure they were doing their homework and staying out of trouble, Avoiding all of the pitfalls that come with being BMOC. This kid has lived in a fishbowl his entire life - you could not relieve yourself behind a tree in Taylorsville without someone knowing, it's just that small and isolated - and been the biggest thing around and it has never gone to his head. In fact, it seems to have grounded him in his faith and the morals instilled in him by his parents, Larry and Carolyn.

I'll never forget having a shrimp boat with his parents in this little restaurant (talk about fried food in the Deep South, fried shrimp, hush puppies and French fries all on the same platter) and the buzz that went through town. Jason was scheduled to be back in town the following week to have his number retired at the high school, and the waitresses and cooks wanted to make sure he was still coming in for it. When we drove back to their house from lunch, some neighbors had draped banners around the driveway saying, "Welcome Home Jason." It was like the prodigal son returning.

Jason's parents dedicated their lives to their children, and all three graduated college and are successful in their professional lives (his brother, Larry, played football at Mississippi State), and their ranch style home on a desolate street was literally covered with pictures of their children and the trophies and ribbons they won.
Jason was dunking as a freshman and was recruited all over the SEC as a point guard. He was a top baseball player too, until he gave it up, and has done nothing but win on the football field - state title in high school, 31-8 at Auburn including 13-0 as a senior.

He looks the part of a QB, too. He is huge and athletic and hard to bring down. He is willing to take a hit, run with the ball and step into pressure when throwing in the pocket. He can throw the deep ball well, and has always commanded respect from other players.

At Auburn I must have talked to at least 10 of Campbell's teammates, on both sides of the ball, a few secretaries in the football department and spent much of the day with the SID down there, Kirk Sampson. Campbell was ripped down there by the locals for most of his first three years at Auburn and he took it all in stride. Sampson, who has to put out fires daily and act as a sounding board for his players, could not get over how well he handled all the adversity at such a young age. Jason was a beacon other players turned to even as he was under the most pressure and scrutiny of all of them.

Now, how much of this will translate to the NFL? Again, who knows. That's why drafting players and QBs in particular is such a crap shoot. If this was a no-brainer, Coach Joe would have put him under center way before now. But I will say this. There is no chance of this being a Ryan Leaf situation. This kid may not be Peyton Manning, but it was certainly time to give him a look and start to embrace the future.

You don't invest this much in a QB to sit him this long on a poor team, and, even if Campbell never turns into that elite starter the Redskins projected, I'm confident he'll take it in stride and act like an elite person on and off the field.

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 14, 2006; 11:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let's Be Real
Next: Skins QB Trivia

Comments

Conducting practices on his own time in the offseason

Honestly, if you want to be the best at something, that's the sort of thing you have to do. Why more pro QBs don't do that I don't know; BBM didn't get that good just sitting on his a$$.

Posted by: Megskin | November 14, 2006 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Thanks JLC,

I was waiting to get some information like this. I certainly hope he is an elite QB for yrs to come, the alternative is too depressing. I am really excited to see what he does this weekend.

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | November 14, 2006 11:50 AM | Report abuse

It's good to know he has a great work ethic, and a great personal ethic to him. I just hope he has a great play ethic, too.

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 14, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

This post is more useful in this thread then the other so...

The argument Gibbs had to keep Brunell playing was his rare turnover. Which has kept Brunell's inflated QB rating high and in turn giving Gibbs a weapon to keep him in the games. It shows a flaw in the QB rating which needs to add a forumla for passes over 10 yards, 20 yards, and yards after the catch.

The thing is, Brunell not giving the ball up is meaningless when the other team can score on your defense from any part of the field. Who cares if they throw a pick when the other team scores either way? It might have been better for Brunell to turn the ball over so the other teams scores faster and gives the Skins offense more chances to score.

The Redskins problem is the wrong QB for the wrong team. Brunell would be great on the Bears, Ravens, or Broncos. He is the type of QB that would work for those teams. A team that Gibbs thought the Skins would be with a killer defense. Well, Williams has failed Gibbs with the defense and because of that Brunell is inefective.

When you have a bad defense you need an offense that can score and score by taking a lot of time. Brunell is NOT that type at all. Campbell is more like that. If he turns the ball over then the other team will just not have as many yards to go to score a touchdown or Field Goal.

I predict we will see an improvment on both sides of the ball from this ONE change. I just do not see it being enough to win 7 in a row. I predict they go 4-3 unless there is injury.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Great insight JLaC!

Posted by: 4th Floor | November 14, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I think the move to Campbell was a good one, and it honestly came at about the right time, or at most maybe a week late. While there was still a chance this season, Brunell had to get the start over Campbell because of experience. Unfortunately it didn't work this season like it did last season, and it probably won't work ever again. And quite frankly, looking at the schedule, it has to be now if at all this season, because Tampa is the only team left on the schedule under .500. They have a tough defense, but it's still a remotely winnable game. Looking at the rest of the schedule, you've got the rest of the NFC South, the Eagles, Giants and Rams. That's some good practice for next year, and if Campbell can start to turn it on towards the last 2-3 weeks of the year, similar to what Eli did in NY 2 years ago it will make me feel better about where the team is going. Lots of areas still need to be addressed, much like JLaC mentioned, specifically the secondary and LBs, and the D-Line, which basically means the entire defense now that I write it out, but they will be better than before.

But like JLaC says, who knows how he's going to turn out? We'll just have to wait and see. One things for certain is that this season is toast. I wonder why I'm a Redskins fan at all the last 15 years. But it's better than being a Cardinals or Lions fan :D

Posted by: CowboyH8R | November 14, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

J-La, you're right on the money with this. I've been a fan of his since he was at Auburn. He's a class act and a heluva QB. I'm not expecting any mircacle this year but I think he'll prove to be a solid NFL starter.

Posted by: etrod | November 14, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

joe gibbs is such a drug dealer. i found myself lying in the gutter monday morning, my pockets empty, all dreams of a wonderful skins future gone. i was ready for rehab to break me of this terrible, miserable addiction, then gibbs goes ahead and doles out a little jason campbell and i'm hooked again. someone help.

Posted by: cavemanneedbeer | November 14, 2006 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The great QB's right now - Manning, Brady, etc. - study film incessantly and have a great football intelligence. JLC, have you seen/heard anything which would suggest that Campbell has a high intelligence. Gibbs alluded to Campbell having to prepare differently now that he's starting - does that mean he wasn't preparing hard enough uptil this point?

Posted by: reality check | November 14, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

excellent news and excellent read. Thanks Jason.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | November 14, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

I hope that Campbell can pull off this opportunity and show the fans he has the ability that caused the Redskins to give up so many draft picks for this guy. It sounds like he has the "backbone" to withstand the pressure to win and succeed in DC and the NFL but the fact he has not had a single snap with this offense and not even one in a regular season NFL game makes everyone nervous. He has to pull these guys together and gain their confidence and respect in order to make this work.

This makes you wonder what game plan Saunders, Gibbs, and the offensive coaches will put together in 24 to 36 hours to be ready for Wednesday's practice. The key against the Bucs has to be the running game and what a time for Portis to be sidelined. But at the same time I wonder if Portis's injury will cause everyone to reassess the running game. Portis taking himself out when he needs or a break, or like in Sunday's game, when he gets hurt has to some effects on the play calling in certain situations. Calling on Ladell to continue showing us what he has done all seasom. He has been the lone bright spot on offense. The T.J. Duckett insurance policy should now come into full effect. We may see the Redskins offense reinvented again with a tribute to the 80s. I am hoping for 40,50, or 60 gutt to be called a lot. With Duckett and Mike Sellers leading the charge this could be interesting.

The conspiracy theories are around regarding this decision, but only one thing will clear the smoke and paint the picture for the rest of the season. That's Campbell getting on the field Sunday and showing what the Redskins can do with him at the lead. One other thing, one could hope with the spotlight on Campbell, Brunell, Gibbs, and the offense, that the defense finally stands up and tries to pull it together and prove that this team can work together to get the job together. It's going to be the longest six days to Sunday in a long time for this team, its fans, and its city, but who knows the wait could be well worth it.

Posted by: straubjmu25 | November 14, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

You were holding out on me JLaC. I knew you had the inside scoop on our mystery #3 QB. You were just waiting for the right time to release the proverbial hounds. Good form sir, good form. Thanks for the info. It will be good to see what this kid can do.

Also, I watched a bit of that SEC championship game that was linked on yesterdays thread... some amazing stuff and some awful stuff.... did anyone else see that ill-advised screen pass to Ronnie Brown? Bad decision. Also, he had some help passing because his recievers were VERY open at times. He did drop some sweetness on us to though. It'll be an adventurous rest o' the season, I'll at least look forward to games now to see what JC can do. I will reserve further judgement until Sunday afternoon...

Posted by: Dorf | November 14, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Great post JLC.

As much as Gibbs has been criticized for not putting Campbell in sooner, I think he's putting Campbell in the perfect position to succeed. A season and a half as a reserve is hardly an unreasonable (or atypical) amount of prep time for a young QB. Letting Campbell get a full week of practice with the 1st team offense should also help in his first game. As much as it might have been nice to see him get mop-up duty in a game or two previously, it's really the experience one gets as the #1 guy that Campbell needs. And he's gonna get plenty of it before the season ends.

So hats off to Coach Gibbs for making the decision when he did.

I can't wait to see what this kid can do in the next 7 weeks.

Posted by: Johnnie Futbol | November 14, 2006 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Great insight, Jason. Thanks a bunch!

Posted by: P Diddy | November 14, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

This has been a depressing season in general and the philly game specifically was unbearable. Having said that, the Campbell move has picked up my spirits tremendously. Look, I know in my head we aren't going to make the playoffs but my heart still believes we have a chance. It wasn't all Brunell's fault how this season has been going but by putting in Campbell we get to maybe improve a little this year and definitly improve next year(fingers crossed).

If Coach Gibbs had stuck with Brunell against Tampa I would have obviously watched the game but I would have been waiting to see how the team was going to break my heart this time. Now with Campbell in I'm fine (not really) with a loss, I just want to see this kid play. Lets see what hes got, finally. From what you describe JL, its hard not to root for him. Best wishes to both Jasons.

Posted by: Jake | November 14, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The difference between the good QBs and the great ones is not physical talent but mental fortitude.

JLC --

This will put a smile on your face: on Jansen's weekly Tuesday morning spot with the Sports Reporters on 980am, in his initial comments about the move to Campbell,(not so discretely) alluded to Czabe's absurd questions to Brunell saying, (paraphrasing) "Mark was a class act through it all....he's gone through a lot here....and he acted incredibly professional when asked certain questions by certain individuals." Then, as he was signing off at the end of the interview, he says, "Steve, why you don't come down to Redskins Park sometime, we'd love to see you down here some time." To which Czabe was non-responsive. Good times.

Posted by: CMoney | November 14, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping his middle name was Larry (after his dad) so we could refer to him as Jason La Campbell. Oh well...

I remember an article in the WP during the preseason about JC. It had quotes from Carlos, talking about how much JC studied Saunders playbook. He said (roughly) that he was amazed and impressed by his efforts and extra work.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Brunell stormed off after the question Czabe asked and said something like "I will never do this again." Little did he know that Comcast would not need to talk to him after that! HA!

Brunell is a great guy, and like I said before, would be a good QB on some teams. I hate to be down on such a good person but this is the real world. He is getting paid a ton to do a job most people would love to do. So I tend not to feel sorry for the guy. I would love to see him do well but it did not work out like that.

Great write up about JC. I enjoyed it and it gave me some hope. I am an American first and a J-La-Can second!

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Huh? You've determined he's well equipped because you spent some time walking around his hometown? He was a mediocre college quarterback until his senior year when the coaches dumbed down the offense so that he basically just had to hand the ball to Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Most teams (in fact, all but one team) projected him as a 2d day draft pick. Bless his heart, but I have a feeling the reason the coaches have been hesitant to play him so far is that they know his capabilities.

Posted by: mart | November 14, 2006 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone hear Jon Jansen DARE Steve Czaban to come to Redskins park. What a punk move by Jansen I lost all respect for him you dont threaten a reporter for doing their job he asked the question he knew all fans including myself wanted to know

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Mart,

Even when Gibbs was winning super bowls he kept better QB's on the bench longer then he should have in favor of the experenced guy. So I would not judge JC by his benching. Gibbs did want to draft him after all. He also named him 2b on the depth chart.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

J-LAC ATTACK!
Thanks for the in depth hometown reporting, I could almost taste the hush puppies and sweet tea you washed it down with. Campbell will be fine minus a few rookie mistakes. We needed to know what the kid can do before next april. Wouldn't it be nice to have a healthy Portis, a steady hand Campbell and maybe Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma running down the field at FEDEX next season???

Posted by: Bob-Ashburn, VA. | November 14, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to add that right after that Brian Mitchell called in and took czabans back and said he would go otu to redskins park with him he said he doesnt hear Jansen asking any former players that are saying the same thing to come to redskins park Jansen needs to redeem himself quickly
It was a bad move and i have much more respect for B Mitch now

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 12:32 PM | Report abuse

THIS is why I read the blog...thanks Jason, that was awesome.

Posted by: WrongDog | November 14, 2006 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Will Gibbs will give JC a fair shot? In other words will Gibbs show JC the same loyalty he gave Brunell? Remember that Ramsey thought he had the job and the freedom to operate until he was horse-collared. Gibbs ran back to a pathetic Mark Brunell immediately. Of course everyone loves to point out how the Skins were 10-6 with Brunell - but I think a close analysis shows that they were 10-6 despite Brunell. Maybe Ramsey isn't a starting QB in this league - but he sure wasn't given a fair shot by Gibbs. I wonder if Gibbs will do the same thing to JC?

Posted by: JD | November 14, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Mart,

Read the post again. JLC didn't say Campbell was going to play well. He said Campbell would be able to handle the pressures that come along with being a QB in the NFL, the scrutiny, etc.

Posted by: QFB | November 14, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Also note that Jansen somehow told Sportsyak980 that Brunell was playing GREAT, and that Campbell starting wasn't any reflection on Brunell. Oh, yah, QBs who are playing great (but not scoring points) lose their jobs ALL THE TIME. I'm no Steve Czaban booster, but at least he's no Larry Michael.

Posted by: TMU | November 14, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Great piece JLC

I have no doubt that JC is, and will be, a solid citizen and hopefully just as good of a QB.

Looks like Gibby and crew did their research this time. Remember the last time they did their research? I think it was when they went back to Sean Taylor's pre-school to talk to teachers, students, etc?

That worked out well.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | November 14, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Skins unveil new name
JC & the Sunshine Band
He's our boogie man

Posted by: MV Dame | November 14, 2006 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Brunell knew all year long that his career in this league is all but over. That's why he played so timidly and refused to try and make plays to win games. He was trying to make plays just to keep his job and fill up a stat sheet.

I don't blame Brunell one bit for playing that way. If I were an aging QB on my last legs, I'd want to be out there playing as much as possible. It wasn't his fault he was starting. It's not his job to bench himself, which is what Steve asked him. I don't blame him for reacting that way.

It was Joe GIBBS job to realize what Mark was doing and act accordingly. Mark finally give him the ammo to do it, a pick for six aka the death of many a QB.

Let's see how short the leash he gives Jason is. Mark will be back in the starting lineup pretty quickly imo. The person that got shafted the most is Todd Collins. From the 2a QB to third? I'd be upset also

Snyder needs to do what he did with Spurrier and Woe-ful. Just take away his toy. "No, you can't pick that toy again. Play with something else"

Posted by: rich | November 14, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hosanna, hey sanna, sanna sanna ho! Sanna hey sanna, hosanna! Hey JC, JC, would you PLAY for me?! Sanna ho sanna hey, superstar!

Posted by: spunky | November 14, 2006 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Its exciting to think of the possibilities that only a week age seemed distant.... Campbell, Duckett, LLoyd, Randle El plus the usual suspects finnaly getting on the field together for the first time.

I am sure there will be miscues and overthrown balls as the team has been working with Brunell for so long that the adjustment won't happen overnight, but given time it will happen. Hopefully the fans will be patient over the next few weeks...Give them a chance to come together!!!

Althought in the short term we'll probably continue struggling but there should be immediate evidence of a bigger picture, better offence and generally a more exciting game...remember when Don Coryell and his understudies ( Saunders & Gibbs inc) brought out "Air Coryell" which I think I remember also struggled a little bit in the beginning..but wow, it was exciting.

Again,I hope all the fans will hold back on opinions & boos for the next few weeks and give it a chance to come together

Posted by: CJCBNC | November 14, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

If Gibbs pulls Campbell after this, he deserves to be run out of town.

Posted by: etrod | November 14, 2006 12:45 PM | Report abuse

We all hate Czaban, this I hope we all can agree but really what was so wrong with the question he asked that bum Brunnell. He's been check milking for the last two years so why be upset when people start pointing it out. Yeah I know Redskins overpayed for a stiff but don't cry like a girl or think you should be treated with kid gloves. My issues is with Jansen telling Czaban to come to Redskins park like he's going to do anything. Where did all this heart come from, maybe if you protected that left handed stiff and stop making mistakes then you wouldn't be 3-6 and punchline for every NFL joke. Save that fire for Sunday's or better yet bottle it up pour it in the gatorade and tell everyone on the team to take a drink and maybe you could live up to expectations for a change

Posted by: Don Redskin | November 14, 2006 12:50 PM | Report abuse

It is funny how Jansen pretends to be there for his teammates yet he is the same guy that was a "rat" and hung his fellow football players out to dry with the steroids comments.

He was just as supportive of Ramsey and that really did a lot!

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Yo, ih8dallas, lighten up on Jansen. When has Jansen ever been accused of being a thug? I would call his statement verbal attack if anything. Seriously, after his punk-a** question to Brunell, do you think he would show his face in Redskins Park? Jansen and Brunell are good friends, wouldn't you call out the guy who tried to humiliate your mate?

Anyway, I agree that if Campbell doesn't get the same leash Brunell got, Gibbs has lost his mind. Here's hoping to see some promise from the kid! Cheers!

Posted by: Gregarious | November 14, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else as nervous about this Tampa game as I am? It's like it's me whose getting his first NFL pt. I am worried that if JC isn't the real deal, this could spell the end of the football in washington as we know it.

ps.

J-

I am still awaiting the delivery of my prize.

-B

Posted by: Barno | November 14, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I kind of agree with Mart, but I also think JC is prepared enough to play decently, as this blog is so aptly titled. I would imagine he'll be directly responsible for some losses as well as some wins. He'll go through some growing pains, most likely.

However I think the biggest fear on the table is having Gibbs yank him after a couple games if he really stinks the joint up. At least thats really my only fear. Gibbs is terrified of turnovers and if Campbell becomes a turn over machine how much will Gibbs be able to stand?

I'm glad the kid is finally getting some playing time, its kind of short sighted to not play someone you've given so much for in lieu of someone who's simply not doing much at all ...

(unless there's something glaring that no one else sees)

Posted by: Aaron | November 14, 2006 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully we can start waving signs at FedEx field to the likes of Campbell, MmmmMmmMmmmmMmmmm....good!

Posted by: Mo | November 14, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

etrod-

If the Skins go 2-1 over the next three and get to 5-7, still technically alive for the playoffs, and Campbell hasn't played especially well, or maybe has a stinker 4 INT game; you don't think Brunell would get the nod again from Gibbs for the four game stretch run? Or that he'd at least consider it?

Gibbs should have moved Brunell to third on the depth chart where he belongs and ended the thought of him playing again barring drastic circumstances.

Like I said, Snyder has to take him away from Gibbs or Gibbs will find a way to play him.

Posted by: rich | November 14, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

J-Lac is much too modest. I'm gonna brag on him a bit. He did a two-parter on Campbell, from Taylorsville and Auburn, back in May 2005 and it was terrific reading. We're going to be posting to the links to those stories later on our sports home page; I'll share 'em here when they're ready.

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen Len Pasquerili's article on the QB change? Check out how he starts the article:

"Here's hoping all you Washington Redskins fans out there, or at least the scant remaining members who continue to pledge loyalty to the floundering franchise, are seated.

Don't want you falling too far to the floor and concussing yourselves, after all, when I do something that I don't often do: Give the Redskins some props....."

He's a jackass...

Posted by: Rob | November 14, 2006 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Jason, I really hope we can take away some positives from the rest of the season.

In other news, I have 2 tickets to the Falcons game on 12/3, and I figured I'd give the blog family a shot before going to Craigslist. $75 each for upper level (row 13) seats, post your email address if you're interested.

Posted by: DGreen28 | November 14, 2006 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Yes i will say that i love the stories and the blogs put forth by JLC they are awesome and please keep them coming hopefully for many years to come thanks JLC
Bryan Patterson, Jr.

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure how I feel about Jansen...For an O-linemen, he's got a lot of "Primetime" in him...a lil bit too much love for the spot light if you knaw mean. I like O line guys to be 400 pound silent assasins. Take the Rolex in January and marry 105 lbs cheerleaders. At least he doesn't false start as much as Dock and C-sam.

T-giving dinner at work today btw...if you didn't know bout sweet potatoe pie (it was my 1st ever slice x's 3) you better take tad@ss to Giant tonight. This was homemade tho. 2 words:

SPEC
TACULAR

gobble gobble

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 1:02 PM | Report abuse

mart

Smack in the back of your head. Hold your negitive thoughts until after Sunday.

Posted by: jm220 | November 14, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for the new era

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | November 14, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Rich,

If that happens, we'll have another Patrick Ramsey on our hands. You can't do that to a young QB and expect him to have any confidence when you finally make a permanent switch.

Posted by: etrod | November 14, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyway to bury Pasquerelli in emails today? Wat a donkey.

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Can I get a post to the Czaben interview with the Former Starter?

Posted by: 4th Floor | November 14, 2006 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, would you please do a little editing on mart's post of 12:23 pm. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but mart seems to bring up a "thorny" issue. Thank you! You're the best!!

Posted by: MV Dame | November 14, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Huh? You've determined he's well equipped because you spent some time walking around his hometown?"

JLC, maybe you should "dumb down" your next blog posts for guys like mart. Apparently they don't understand the complexities of your sentence structure.

"Most teams (in fact, all but one team) projected him as a 2d day draft pick."

And this is a bold faced lie. Campbell was pegged as a second rounder by most... different than a 2nd day draft pick.

As I've said before, here's to hoping Lance Briggs doesn't show up at FedEx and clothesline JC. Short of that, I hope Gibbs gives him his chance... he's earned it.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 1:11 PM | Report abuse

im far from a Czaban backer but what Jansen did crossed the line of Professionalism he wants to fight off the field it be nice if he showed some fight on the field!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Breaking jm news
Blogger hurts hand with so much
Back of head slapping

Posted by: MV Dame | November 14, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The fact that someone other than Boo-nell is at QB gives me hope. I have never been a big fan of hope until now. Jason I am behind you 120% win or lose!

Posted by: Campbell Fan | November 14, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Brunell's performance this year reminds me of when we used to play football when we were kids. Because the field we played on was so short, for first downs we went with the rule two completions equals a first down. As a result, if we were having trouble getting open, we'd run these weak BS short pass plays behind the line of scrimmage and count them as completions.

Posted by: Happyfan | November 14, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The word "reporter" should never be used in the same sentence with "Czaban". He's a sports talk radio host. BIG difference.

Posted by: Groin Strain | November 14, 2006 1:16 PM | Report abuse

What is Len Pasquarelli's email address? Someone needs to give that idiot a spanking.

Posted by: JayRam | November 14, 2006 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JayRam | November 14, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Groin Strain,

You mean other then his TV SHOW on comcast where he asks players questions? Like a REPORTER? ;-)

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Len Pasquarelli is so full of hisself. Not sure what the redskins ever did to this guy for him to be so negative to anything Redskins do. But, all I can say is he is an idiot.

Posted by: JayRam | November 14, 2006 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Breaking jm news
Blogger hurts hand with so much
Back of head slapping

Now that was funny.

Posted by: jm220 | November 14, 2006 1:20 PM | Report abuse

IF i was a sports writer i would have this story in the paper tomorrow about wht
jansen said this needs to be publicly addressed one way or another

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 1:23 PM | Report abuse

It is good the home town folks think well of Campbell.

On the other hand, there is a hall of fame coach who has watched him in practice for hundreds of sessions and in practice games and determined he wasn't preferable to a slow moving guy with a blown arm. That is, until Squatty Dan started sweating the profit on those $30 parking fees and $8 beers and ordered the change.

I guess we'll know soon enough. Tampa Bay is either the 2nd or 3rd worse team in the conference, keeping the Skins out of the conversation. Based on the abysmal performance the Bucs delivered last night, I'd think even with Brunell the Skins win this game...

Posted by: PigSkin | November 14, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

No Mike, a REAL reporter covers a beat, like J La C. They are with the team every day. They ask players and coaches questions TO THEIR FACES every day. They don't lob b.s. questions down the IFB from hundreds of miles away

Posted by: Groin Strain | November 14, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

when Gibbs makes comments like this:

"We don't know what'll happen there," Gibbs said of Brunell's future. "If he sits back there in that second spot and gets a breath of fresh air and gets rested, I don't know what'll happen in the future."

It's hard to believe Jason will get the chance to start the last seven games.

Posted by: rich | November 14, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Just read the Pasquarelli article. Yes, he's a turd but at least he had some nice things to say about JC.

I think he hates the skins because he's still peeved by getting scooped by Mark Maske about Gibbs' return.

Posted by: etrod | November 14, 2006 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I know that you never know whether or not a player will be good coming out of college, but I like the fact that jason Campbell comes from a winning program and seems to have that ability to lead. You can teach all of the fundamentals and enhance the player's athletic abilities, but you can't teach someone to be a leader and you can't teach someone to be a winner. Those things need to come from within the individual. That's why Vince Young will be successful. Yes, he is an incredable athlete, but he is a leader and players seem to feed off of him and believe in him. I hope we will be able to say the same things about Campbell.

Posted by: BT | November 14, 2006 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Haven't heard the Jansen spot yet, but....

Is it possible that instead of calling him out for a fight (as many seem to think) Jansen is just inviting him to come do some real reporting? JLC always busts on the Czabe for not being a reporter and mentions that he never sees him at Redskins Park.

Just asking.

BTW, I thought that Czabe could have asked some questions that get at the same thing without being a jerk....

Posted by: 'Canes Fan | November 14, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

MV, I'm multitasking at the moment, but nothing leaped out at me on that post. In fact, that has been the rap on Campbell all along....

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Etrod,

You made the ultimate mistake, spending the time to read an article by Len Pasquarelli. You just wasted 5 minutes of your life that will never be able to get back!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 14, 2006 1:36 PM | Report abuse

There's a story behind Pasquerelli's rants against the Redskins. Four years ago, he developed a relationship with Snyder, and was one of the few people who had the owner's ear. And if you read his old pieces, he was actually kind to Snyder. But what he wanted in return was every Redskin scoop, period. It's idiotic to think that way, but that's how Lenny is. Well, when Snyder went after Gibbs in 2004, he didn't give the scoop to Lenny, feeling Maske and Co. should have it first, since Snyder knew Washingtonians would dance in the streets. And when Lenny saw the Post break the story, he went haywire. He's a very vindictive guy, folks. He's hung up the phone on Cerrato, and has trashed Sndyer and the Redskins ever since. You can look at the arc of every Redskin related piece he's written...Pre Gibbs, they were positive. And post-Gibbs, negative. It's a fact. He's a pretty unprofessional dude.

Posted by: Cole | November 14, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Len Pasquarelli thinks? The Redskins are an easy target for hate. He's clearly jealous that he's not given credit for calling out the 'Skins's pick of Campbell two years ago, and I also think he's upset for not getting credit for leaking the big Joe Gibbs returning story.

Pasquarelli is paid to write about his opinions and clearly he's got too much baggage to not let his emotion get in the way.

Also Redskins fans should note that he writes this way and puts those little pot shots in his articles to rile up Redskins everywhere. I don't know why people let this guy get under their skin, let alone spend their energy getting angry it.

He's taking advantage of your passion for your franchise to get you frustrated. Just ignore him....

Posted by: Aaron | November 14, 2006 1:37 PM | Report abuse

i believe kelli johnson asked some good questions espically about not getting the ball down field noodle arm brought up dallas game look the chump wasnt getting it done we may struggle at first with JC but a brighter future is better than lying down with a DONE QB like Brunell

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Jason did much more than just hang out in Taylorsville. He spoke to virtually every single coach the kid has had from high school through Auburn.

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 1:38 PM | Report abuse

mike,
judging from the reaction of players like jansen i don't think he'll be doing that anymore.

and i'm sorry, i know ken harvey is a washpost employee but boy is he inarticulate! he makes me read like shakespeare!

and about jc having ronnie brown and williams comment at auburn. like editor mentioned before just like in auburn JC will have two big backs to hand off to tj and betts and when he needs to make a pass they'll simply run that highly secret fake WR reverse that results in a pass by ARE!

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"Still waiting for the apology from The Daniel, and from a lot of media colleagues who publicly lambasted the reports the Redskins had made the trade with Denver specifically to take Campbell, on that one."

-- Len Pasquafatass

Hey JLC, has Len been waiting outside your huse at night for an apology? What about you Cindy?

That seems like the biggest jack@ss thing to put in an article. Seems like something he meant to put in his diary... not a sports article.

"Dear diary, today, Jason Whitlock called me a jerk. I am so upset at him. He's the jerk. I am not going to read his articles for twelve days... or until he apologizes. Time for bed... here's hoping for a better tomorrow."

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I am a fairly new blogger on here compared to some. i will say JLC doesnt put out any BS he definately goes all in with his stories and it is much appreciated

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Pasquerelli and Peter king should be involved in a traffic accident where they run into each other.

I pray that we all (including those at Redskins Park) will excercise patience in this matter. The Campbell era cannot be mired with fits and starts like...well like every QB we've had since Rypien won our Super Bowl in 1992. He needs time. I just hope the quick hook doesn't come out.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | November 14, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Ah, do you now see my brilliance folks? By asking such a jerk question to Brunell, I managed to get the Redskins to have an 'us against the world' mentality they so clearly lacked this season. Jansen followed suit perfectly. Now the team will get on a roll and rally around Brunell... oops, wait...

Posted by: Steve Czaban | November 14, 2006 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone thanking JLaC for doing his job? The Post pays him for reporting on the Redskins, that's what he's supposed to do. Do you all get thanked every time you do your job?? I don't think so.

Glad to see Coach Joe saw the light and is starting JC. Been a fan since he was at Auburn.

Posted by: ME | November 14, 2006 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, Well

Very nice article Jason. It is wroth reading over ... it's that good. Thank you.

The kid gives me/us/Redskin Nation hope for the future ... dare we hope for the present? Now, if our O-line can protect him because he may take a split second longer to make his reads being new ...

*hugs*

Posted by: SallieMae | November 14, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

ArtMonkToTheSticks, amen, sir... amen.

Campbell will have growing pains. Maybe not in his first game, maybe not in his second, but they will come out. He needs the comfort of knowing that he has time to make this team his.

Then, hopefully, we can have at least one of the most important puzzle pieces in place, a franchise QB.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 1:51 PM | Report abuse

to ih8dallas:

weheartpunctuation

Posted by: Anonymous | November 14, 2006 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Horrendous. It would create an abomination the world has never seen, something like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. We'd have to melt it with coffee to rid the world of it.

Seriously, what is it with Sports 'Writers' that makes them hate the Redskins so much? Do they have any idea how unprofessional, stupid, childish and Czabenish it makes them look?

Posted by: Megskin | November 14, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It's about time!
I am just hoping against hope that Gibbs does not pull JC out the first time he throws an INT, then put Brunell back in there again ala Ramsey. No matter what, Campbell deserves to be the QB the rest of the season, then and only then, you objectively grade him out if he is an NFL QB or another Heath Shuler.If we lose but he plays well, that's a plus. It's really the defense, folks, that's the real problem. It's getting old! We need fresh blood in the Dline (Golston and Montgomery have potential) Carter is still young enough. Maybe we get a young DE from the draft. Remember Manley, a late round pick? We need to play McIntosh now, find out what he can do. Draft another LB. Springs is getting up there. Keep Rogers for now, Draft a CB. With Portis and Duckett, the running backs are set. With 7 games under his belt and showing potential, Campbell might be our guy. For crying out loud, get rid of Gibbs and his octogenerian coaches and give the reins to Al Saunders as the head coach and Greg Blache as the defense coordinator, continuing Williams philosophy. Either way, Williams or Saunders is OK with me. The point is, to have CONTINUITY which is the Skins biggest problems in the last 10 years since Snyder got the team. Oh yeah, get a REAL GM, not Vinny.That's my take for now.

Posted by: Skins Fan in SD | November 14, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

steve, do you regret asking the question?

you may say "WHAAAAA???!!!" at my question but rember just like your boy Bush and Cheney, Snyder has a very very good memory and can hold a grudge for a long long time.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

Haha great point but if Comcast decides to back the players instead of the viewers that would be a mistake. They would lose me for one. He asks the only questions I ever want the answer to. Unlike the others who are status q.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

u can take your puncuation and stick it somewhere u obviously didnt have the nerve to say who u are its a blog not english clASS

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey ME, there's no "M" or "E" in "Jason La Canfora's blog." Don't let the door hit you on the way out, but thanks for stopping by...

Oops, probably shouldn't have thanked you, hunh? Sorry...

Is apologizing okay with you, though?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ahh the love/hope for JC is good. *hugs* all around.

I'm feeling anxious though cause I don't think Gibbs is behind this 100%. I don't think he's prepared to let JC go the last 7 games regardless of outcome and that could torpedo the whole deal. I just hope JG looks past this season because we all want to win but I think the fans (at least all you blogs)are willing to let the kid have his run and go into camp as starter and go full throttle next year.

Most rookies screw up badly. Aikman was what 1-15 his first season? BBM was close to that? Brady stepped into a winning mentality and excellent team as did Rothlesberger in Pitt and look at him now.

JC deserves the full shot for the rest of the season. I know I'll be tearing out my hair with every int. but I can always glue it back on.

Thanks for the great article J-La.

Posted by: sfskin | November 14, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

There actually is an "e" since it's the REdskins InsidEr.

Posted by: ME | November 14, 2006 2:02 PM | Report abuse

ME, we thank JLaC for 'doing his job', as you so mundanely deign it, because we have plenty of examples of the people that DON'T go about 'doing their jobs' with the same sense, depth and attitude *koffredskinsplotchcomkoff* Thank you, JLaC!

Sheesh, I'm almost looking forward to watching the Skins on Sundays, now. Not expecting too much on the win front, but hopefully there will be positive signs that we didn't draft the next Danny Wuerffless or Willy-Nilly Akili....

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 14, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

New life has been pumped into this blog. Cavemanneedbeer man had it right. Gibbs just got us a new fix. I'm jones'in for some Skins something fierce. QB changes are like crack brother. Sweet sweet rock candy. Just ask Michael Irvin. That guy knows what I'm talkin 'bout.

Posted by: Dorf | November 14, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we should not ruin this great article with trash talk? :-P

Lets predict Campbell's first game #'s. I will predict 180 yrds, 1 touchdown, 1 interception and complete 58% of his passes. Skins will win 24-17.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Jansen, like all linemen, is programmed to defend his QB. He will do the same thing for JC now. And if anyone thinks he was literally challenging Czaban to a fight, maybe you should tune into WWF or buy some rock em sock em robots. He was just returning a little fire at him, and Czaban and BMitch should lighten up.

Czaban is a blowhard. He agitated for a Campbell change, then this morning during signoff he suggested that the change was only made for marketing reasons. His job is to stir up the fanbase. It's up to you if you listen to him.

I prefer Kool Keith or maybe Cameo.

Posted by: Skin I'm In | November 14, 2006 2:09 PM | Report abuse

OK,OK

Jansen - maybe he's simply furious that someone took a cheap shot at his QB - whom he's paid to protect. Does that inclide off the field too? *snort* ... since he hasn't done a good johb on the field *snort*

What could be going through his mind ... to call out a reporter like that? Didn't Jansen watch Walker Texas Ranger where Ranger Trivette did the same thing to a TV reporter and was short-chained from that moment on?

Posted by: SallieMae | November 14, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Got ya, ME, but it didn't work for my joke... respect still.

I know one thing, this QB change has filled me with new energy. From my Wolverines playing the F-nuts on Saturday, to watching Campbell start on Sunday... I may not remember this weekend.

Guys, fill me in next week on what happens please? Maybe it'll come back to me...

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 2:10 PM | Report abuse

To correct the phrase earlier. The Redskins problem is .... NEEDS to be rewritten. The Redskins problems are.... is the proper phrase. One problem is now benched. It doesn't mean the QB problem is solved. But at least it is a different answer. Cuz Brunell was a NO. If Campbell succeeds as a Skin we will all be singing Gibbs praises for years to come. But that is a bit premature. After all Gibbs judgement with Brunell suggests that he is not that smart when picking QBs.

Posted by: AL | November 14, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: etrod | November 14, 2006 01:27 PM

OK,OK
Good point and ... Ya know? That brings up another question ... Jason La Canfora - how come ESPN got the scoop and not you or the post? Just curious.

*hugs*

Posted by: SallieMae | November 14, 2006 2:12 PM | Report abuse

it wasnt a cheap shot at MB it was a relevant question there was no QB production how do u call it a shot when there was no play-making going on at the QB position. Brunell is done Gibbs hoped our defense would carry us and Brunell could manage us thru the year. The defense isnt that good and Campbell has the ability to be a playmaker at qb instead of just worrying about staying on the field like Bumnell

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 2:14 PM | Report abuse

to ih8dallas i was trying to help you since its very hard to read your posts without any punctuation i fear for your sake that most people just wont bother im not saying that you need to spell every word correctly though that would be a nice bonus but some punctuation would definitely help us oh and i signed my post there that made a big difference

Posted by: ih8dallas2 | November 14, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

OK,OK

BTW - Ya'll ... I watched Single White Female this weekend. Good movie.

My take? ... I'm more like Bob in What About Bob?

Posted by: SallieMae | November 14, 2006 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Let's just hope Gibbs doesn't sub in Brunell after Campbell throws his first pick.

Posted by: Boyer | November 14, 2006 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and Campbell hasn't had a game snap in 22 months. Someone needs to send him a case of rust remover.

Posted by: AL | November 14, 2006 2:20 PM | Report abuse

salliemae, snyder is partners with ESPN (after he bought 3 radio stations and calls them Triple X ESPN).

mike, it wasn't about viewers vs. players. it was about employees vs. employees. kelli was P-ed off because she works so hard to get players on and steve totally blew it. my prediction is that players will come on with kelli and chic but are not going to talk to steve anymore.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

AL,

Very good point. I did not mean to say it was their only problem even though that is the way it reads. Thanks for pointing that out. If they could solve all of their problems they COULD go 7-0 the rest of the way. Any team could say that however.

I simply mean the most important problem in my view was the QB. That both sides of the ball will improve but still be in the lower half of the league.

I am just happy about the right direction.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Mike4169, in response to your re-post railing against the check-down, I had a response in the earlier post. With all due respect to the retarded, its retarded to think that taking a chance on an interception is preferable to the check down/out-of-bounds-pass. Even accepting your premise regarding the relative strengths of opposing defenses, there is a still an advantage to be played in time of possession. The alternative to the check down pass is no pass at all. See Patrick Ramsey. See Patrick Ramsey's allergy to the check down pass. See Patrick Ramsey get sacked ... for a big loss of yards, and big toll on his body from repeated decisions not to throw away the ball. Brunell maybe over-relied on check downs to compensate for his late reads and later passes, but the reason an incomplete pass is calculated into the QB rating as a good thing is because at least it keeps the team alive for another play, even if the next play is a punt. Campbell would be well advised to learn from Brunell about how/when to check down. Might be able to save his body a while longer while he's learning his guts out.

Also, do any of the stat monkeys have any numbers on Duckett against Gruden defenses? Are the Bucs a bounty or a bust for Duckett ... division rivals sometimes rack up odd stats.

Posted by: dcsween | November 14, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

snyder is partners with ESPN

oh - splains it. Thanks *hugs*

Posted by: SallieMae | November 14, 2006 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

Yeah I see what you are saying. If the players ditch everyone on that show because of one person it speaks on the type of people they are. I think anyone with some backbone would not avoid any reporters however.

It would be dissing the fans more then Kelli to not appear on the show any longer. I am pretty sure Campbell will be open arms to Czaban! After all he was on Campbells side. He will be more than willing to talk to them and I do not think there is another player they would rather talk to. Which really worked out for Czaban.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

sorry...didn't mean to not give credit about kelli being ticked off....jason (of this blog) said so...yesterday in the previous post. and having watched kelli for so long it didn't surprise me a bit. she asked the real "tough" question and brunell didn't really answer it. steve should've followed up on it but choked.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

some bloggers are just like the redskins if they dont LIKE your question they dont want u to ask it its bs man up answer all questions

Posted by: ih8dallas | November 14, 2006 2:30 PM | Report abuse

DcSween,

Thanks for calling me retarded but I will avoid calling you names for the sake of a football discussion.

You misunderstand me. I am not saying throw the interception. I am saying take chances and you will get the first down or an incompletion more often than interceptions. If you do throw an interception guess what? They were going to score anyway most likley. You have to weigh the risk. With the Skins defense the risk is WELL worth it because what are the chances the Skins stop them anyway?

I am not sure if you have been to many games but there have been players WIDE open when Brunell dumps the ball or throws in out of bounds. He did not take the chance. Which works on a team like the Broncos. It doesnt work on a team with a defense like the Skins. You HAVE to be agressive on offense when your defense is full of holes. It is amazing how many times Brady, Manning, Grossmen, Palmer, and others take a 50/50 chance on 3rd down when the play is not PERFECT like it has to be for Brunell. Sometimes they throw horrible interceptions but guess what. They win most of the time. While Brunell takes 0 chances, throws little interceptions, and loses the game.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Some of you are on planet pluto! Campbell is a refreshing change from Brunell, but he alone is not going to win games for the skins. Campbell can score as many points as he wants, but if the defense keeps their "open door policy" to their opponents, it does the team no good. I'm not sure what happened to Greg Williams, but he is not the same coach. His defense has regressed to worse than when Norv was here.

Agree that JC needs a longer leash than Brunell. Gibbs needs to give him time to adjust to the NFL speed and to get comfortable in the game. I would take JC throwing 3 INTs vs. Brunell dinking for 103 yards per game.

Good luck JC. The whole town is with you!

Posted by: Are u kidding?? | November 14, 2006 2:35 PM | Report abuse

dcsween: Also, do any of the stat monkeys have any numbers on Duckett against Gruden defenses?

Duckett lifetime vs Tampa:

11/20/05 14 carries for 51 yards, 3.6 avg 1 TD 1 catch for 19 yards
12/24/05 11 carries for 32 yards, 2.9 avg 1 TD
11/14/04 12 carries for 53 yards, 4.4 avg 2 TD
12/05/04 7 carries for 32 yards, 4.6 avg 1 rec 3 yards
09/21/03 3 carries for 6 yards, 2 rec for 13 yards
12/20/03 27 carries for 93 yards, 3.4 avg
10/06/02 11 carries for 52 yards, 4.7 yards 3 rec for 34 yards
12/08/02 13 carries for 47 yards, 36 avg, 2 rec for 11 yards

Posted by: Megskin | November 14, 2006 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Baby steps, SallieMae, baby steps.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 2:40 PM | Report abuse

It's positive that Joe Gibbs is making a change. Something had to happen to breath life into this team, if in fact it can sustain life, but until Snyder gets a GM who can evaluate talent and have the authority to say no to the coaches (as Bobby Beatherd could)this team goes nowhere.

Posted by: billdemps | November 14, 2006 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know how Megskins gets the stats so quickly

Posted by: jm220 | November 14, 2006 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Greg's Jewish..."

"Well so was J.C..."

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | November 14, 2006 2:50 PM | Report abuse

DCSween and Mike4169--

I agree with Mike here. You need to take the chance.

Regarding Ramsey, there's a difference between making a decision and taking a chance, and panicking then tossing it hoping for the best. Ramsey seemed to do the latter. Favre (an interception machine himself) does the former. I'd rather see the former than every series ending with a throw out-of-bounds or a dump to Betts for 2 yards when they need 15. At least I might see a decent offensive play once or twice a game...

Posted by: King Bonehead | November 14, 2006 2:51 PM | Report abuse

SallieMae, the Walker Texas Ranger reference was PERFECT. I don't recall Ranger Trivett taking on a reporter, but I'm sure if he did then someone got kicked in the last 5 minutes. That's just the way it goes down when the eyes of the ranger are upon you.

By the way, who cares about what a lineman said to a reporter? Isn't there anything better to talk about? Oh yeah, I heard Brunell got benched.

Posted by: Joe in Raleigh | November 14, 2006 2:52 PM | Report abuse

That's just the way it goes down when the eyes of the ranger are upon you.

Joe in Raleigh not sure how you remember that song. But funny bra.

Posted by: jm220 | November 14, 2006 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Somebody should tell Jansen to calm down, especially since his job just got a whole lot easier. He isn't going to have to block anymore for the QB equivalent of an Easter Island head. By the time Jansen's guy gets by him, Campbell should already have gotten the ball off. What a novelty. I was going to watch what I anticipated would be this week's car wreck on TV down here in FL. Now I have a reason to get over to the gulf side so I can watch in person as Campbell makes Coach Chuckie eat his little pirate visor.

Posted by: RedeployNow | November 14, 2006 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Megskin.

That's a lot of recent TD history. AND 10+ carries a game!!! I would really like to see that this week. Betts/Duckett combo could get us a win and help us to...wait...help us what??? LOSE BRADY QUINN??? Can't wait to trade picks for Bruce SMITH!!!!

And to all you non chalant posters/newcombers/etc who disrespect Jason's blogs or those who "thank" him for new threads:
1.This is above and beyond for him in my opinion, and we are grateful to get a fans "inside" look while he's in Ashburn, etc.
2. He built the house, he makes us dinner, let's try not to pee on the plate, huh?

Mike34785279578:

Those 4 QB's you named throw like friggin cannons. Brunell throw like water gun. Yes, he's too safe cause he has zippy long ball. Been sayin here all year. No deep threat, up w/safety's, bye bye run, 3 points total offense, everyone on blog drink and eat pills.

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

PG,

I guess I need to have a better name. Sorry that is part of my phone number so it is easy to remember for my friends. I just figure I will back up my statements with my E-mail.

Good point about Brunell and his arm. I could not agree more. You cracked me up with the pills comments lol.

My final word on my point. Overtime against Jacksonville. Brunell normally would not throw the winning pass right? Moss was double covered and it is a 50/50 chance of getting picked off. If he doesnt attempt that pass we most likley end up punting. If he throws it out of bounds the Skins punt, the other team scores most likley, and the game is lost.

If the Skins had a killer defense then maybe dont make that pass. Which Brunell is a master of. Not making that pass.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 14, 2006 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I really got a full grasp of why Gibbs stayed with Brunell for so long thanks to Madden '07.
Brunell starts out with a rating in the high 80's, and you can easily get him in the 90 range before the season starts. Campbell is in the mid-high 70s and progression would take quite a while.
It's clear that Brunell has two more years at most, and that Campbell needs to start developing NOW if he's ever going to get up there (1st round picks get labled "underacheiver" if they don't crack 80 by their third year), but Brunell just fits too well as the best chance to win - at least at the season's start.
If I simulated the seasons, the record would fluctuate, (between 4-5 and 7-2), but Brunell was always alright in the numbers category. Even in the 4-5 range, it just didn't make any sense to pull him.
That's why I wasn't on with the idea of the change before now.
Even though the team had 100 problems, Brunell wasn't playing poorly enough to get yanked. If the other problems started to get corrected, then he was playing well enough. Also he kept pulling that act where every time I'd find myself saying "oh screw him" he'd make a pretty completion downfield (before you rip me there were a few to patten and thrash in some of the earlier games, and one nice throw to Lloyd Sunday).
That said, this is the perfect time for the change. It was clear that Brunell not only was uncomfortable in the pocket, but also did not command the respect of his teammates. Notice how the receivers tend to talk with each other after botched plays, while MB sits by himself on the bench.
His main strength evaporated in this game as well. Brunell had been doing well avoiding turnovers, and making checkdowns when appropriate (even too much).
In this game he was unable to make his checks to counter the overload blitzes and threw that pick for six.
I disagreed with Wilbon a few weeks ago when he was calling for Campbell and I stand by that, but now is the time.
I'm as excited as you guys.

p.s. Len's a jerk. I'm also tired of guys like Wilbon defending him everytime we ask what his problem is "Well Len is the ultimate professional..." gross.

Posted by: singapore 'skin | November 14, 2006 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Dear Roseanne Roseannadanna, Last Thursday, I quit smokin'. Now, I'm depressed, I gained weight, my face broke out, I'm nauseous, I'm constipated, my feet swelled, my gums are bleedin', my sinuses are clogged, I got heartburn, I'm cranky and I have gas. ... What should I do?" ... Mr. Feder, you sound like a real attractive guy! ... You belong in New Jersey! ... But I know exactly what you're goin' through 'cause once, I, Roseanne Roseannadanna, quit smokin'. And to get back in shape, I had to join one of those fancy-shmancy health clubs. You know, the ones where it's real expensive to join but it's worth it, 'cause you get to see a lot o' people that you don't know naked! ... Like, some people got those bulgy-bulgy thighs, the ones that get chafed just 'cause they're always scrapin' against each other. ... And there's other people there that got these funny belly buttons. Like, some go in and some go out or it's like a hole or it curls around or it's like a little knob on it, like a door. ... Some of them got a little piece of their sweater still in it! ... Some of 'em look like a little star or a shell or a clam. Or some, you don't what they are! ... But, personally, I, Roseanne Roseannadanna, don't like to walk around with no clothes in front of other people! Not that I don't got a great body. ... But why should I waste it on a bunch of fat ladies in a health club?

Anyway, they got this sauna there which is a little hot room where you go to sweat like a pig. ... So, I go in there but before I sit down, I put this clean towel on the bench 'cause there's a lot of people in there and you don't know where they been! ... So, listen to this. Who do you think is sitting next to me but Dr. Joyce Brothers! ... That very smart pixie lady who thinks she knows everything. But what this nude psychologist doesn't know is that she had this little teeny tiny ball o' sweat right here, hangin' off the tip of her nose! ... It was just hangin' there! It wouldn't fall off! ... Like, if she turned her head, it didn't fall off, if she stood up, it didn't fall off, she scratched, it didn't fall off, and when she picked a little piece of sweater out of her belly button, it didn't fall off! ... That little sweat ball just wouldn't fall off! ... So I yelled at her. I said, "Hey! Doctor! Flick that sweat ball off your nose! ... What are ya tryin' to do? Make me sick?!"

Posted by: Roseanne Roseannadanna | November 14, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

singapore 'skin...I just strained it again laughing so hard. Basing real football decisions on how players are ranked in a video game. Wow.

Posted by: Groin Strain | November 14, 2006 3:23 PM | Report abuse

singapore, before you ask you need to know who it is you're asking. mike (wilbon) is also employed by ESPN. if you want to ask an ESPN employee about another espn employee ask TK Stack Money(tony kornheiser).

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Sing Skin,

I can one up your simulated season for comparison to Madden seasons. My boy in college did the same thing, would write down the spreads, and bet based upon any differences. My favorite quote from him:

"Those bookies are really good. They were really close to almost every Madden game I just simulated"...

Needless to say...10 grand later his father called asking what happened to his savings bonds in the family safe.

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 3:28 PM | Report abuse

While I applaude the move to Campbell, it won't do much good with o line we have. I hope he has some track shoes. Can Roger's cover a check? He doesn't seem to cover anything else...

Posted by: olduffer | November 14, 2006 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Since the interception topic has come up, and people are wondering if (or when) JG will pull Campbell for throwing picks, let me show you BBM's stats for the season so far:

P. Manning:
RATING 104.5

In comparison, Mark Brunell:
ATT 260
COMP 162
% 62.3
YDS 1789
YPG 198.7 (not really accurate, he had 329 yds against JAC and 261 against HOU; most games he is at or well below this average)
YDS/ATT 6.9
LG 74
TD 8
INT 4
Sack/Lost 12/96
RATING 86.5

What am I trying to say? I'm saying that all QBs throw picks, no matter how long or short their passes are. I'm saying that playing it safe - playing not to lose - almost always guarantees you WILL lose. I'm saying that if Jason Campbell throws some picks, I am OK with that, as long as he also makes some downfield completions. See, BBM throws picks. BBM gets sacked. But BBM also has six times as many TDs as he does INTs. Brunell has only 2 TDs for every INT, and in some of his games he basically negates a TD throw with an INT.

Brunell's TDs/INT ratios, game-by game:
MIN 0/0 L
DAL 0/1 L
HOU 1/0 W
JAC 3/1 W
NYG 0/0 L
TEN 1/1 L
IND 2/0 L (Manning was 4/0 for the day)
DAL 1/0 W
PHI 0/1 L

With the exception of the Indy game, when Manning clearly outplayed Brunell, we lose when our TD's are less than or equal to our interceptions, or when we have NO TDs and NO INTs. Surely Campbell can improve upon that, right? And even if he doesn't, maybe he'll at least make some exciting plays and throw a few long completions, something that is rare to behold in a Skins game these days.

Gibbs needs to be smart about this and let Campbell take some lumps, give him the leeway to throw a pick or two, and give him the opportunity to make plays. If he yanks him after one game because of a pick or even 2 or 3 picks, he will doom this team. Not that Tony Romo is a superstar, but how many picks did he throw in his first game? He's not looking so bad now, is he? Neither is Vince Young, really. Gibbs needs to give Campbell time. If he's not willing to do that, not willing to let the kid work out his mistakes during a season that is all but done from a playoff perspective, then Gibbs really does need to retire, and a new head coach sought.

Posted by: bandwagon blues | November 14, 2006 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand people ripping Pasquerelli and Czaben when they wrote and asked exactly what every friggin' Redskins fan on this blog was thinking and crying about for the last several weeks.

As for substantive issues, I just hope the next axe to fall is on the head of Vinny Cerrato. If Snyder and Gibbs are willing to spend millions on assistant/associate coaches, they should invest a couple of million on a real GM who can evaluate talent and retain our draft picks.

At this point, Denver is like a fugitive serial sex-crime offender. Its just that the Redskins are their only victim and they keep getting attacked.

Posted by: MDP | November 14, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I always play with the skins in Franchise mode. The key is to go to the kid right away. Last year's Madden, I went with Ramsey and somehow got a 2nd rounder for 'el izquierdo malo'. This year, right away with Campbell. Run, run, run. You have to put Cooley at TE, and line up Moss in the slot to complete passes (at least in All Madden with the QB vision looking like a piece of dental floss).

You might drop a few games on your way but you can win. One good off-season and its Super Bowl time. I held a parade at my house. No one came...awkward...

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | November 14, 2006 3:50 PM | Report abuse

TK is also employed by ESPN; PTI and MNF.

I like Wilbon, and just find him to be a very respectful person in general. I also find his answers to be very respectfully stated. He's not going to tongue lash anyone, especially not one of his colleagues. He is also big on being accountable for what he says (like JLC). So I understand his unwillingness to give the answer that people (fans and non sportswriters) seem to crave.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | November 14, 2006 3:51 PM | Report abuse

olduffer - we'll have to see. I think, however, if and when Soup'rCampbell manages to get the ball downfield a bit more consistently, the pressure on the O-line will drop considerably, and the team will look like we have proper blockers again. Nothing like having 8 men in the box to make 5 linemen overly paranoid and playing guessing games with themselves....

Posted by: FlimFlam | November 14, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Roseanne Roseannadanna - now THERE is a name from the past. Late 70's if I recall correctly.

Posted by: X.Hog | November 14, 2006 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I guess we'll find out for sure this weekend, but I think the O-line will block better with Campbell in there. It's hard to maintain your blocks when the QB won't step up in the pocket because he's afraid he'll break if he gets hit. Brunell also wouldn't run for yardage to save his life (case in point: last week's 3rd and 2, wide open field, incomplete pass). So, he'd take the snap and start getting happy feet immediately. You usually need to set your feet to throw accurately, and you can't set your feet if you're running all over the place and off-balance. Hopefully Campbell will stay in the pocket and throw or run for yardage. And the kid better not be afraid to take a hit or we're in trouble.

Posted by: Posse Redux | November 14, 2006 4:00 PM | Report abuse

AMTTS,

Huge fan of 06. 07 slowed down a bit on PS2 (i know, i know, if I'm serious, why didn't I upgrade?), but 07 has the silly right analog "in formation audible" which is like an auto blitz whipper. Gold. If Brunell had the right analog...
Moss/Lloyd/El would be the new fun bunch. 1000+ easy.

QB's a QB is a QB when you're 3-6. I wouldn't mind seeing Bucktown make the trip to TB and R. Bobby back em up, cause, it doesn't matter. Picks/slips/sacks and falls...who cares? Let the kid learn. I hope they do. I hope they give him 17 weeks, not just 7.

Rik Bob, if you do make the trip and get in the game, be sure to check who's under center...

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 4:07 PM | Report abuse

It finally took some balls from one of the media guy(Czaban) to get a Quarterback change. I love Jason La Canfora but like his other counterparts who want to maintain a good realtion with the team, they don't have guts.

This QB change was more because of the fans/media going after Gibbs rather than Gibbs doing it for the sake of the team. I respect Jason's columns but its time somoene stood up to the coach. Thank you Czaban.....We owe you one.

Posted by: Jimmy M | November 14, 2006 4:19 PM | Report abuse

dgreen28, email me at jimboy435@yahoo.com

Posted by: jim | November 14, 2006 4:25 PM | Report abuse

dgreen28, email me at jimboy435@yahoo.com

Posted by: Jimmy M | November 14, 2006 4:25 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS
Portis Going on IR?

Howard is about to report that Portis may be headed to the IR.

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Mike4169, sorry about that, I did misunderstand your point. When I read it I thought it seemed a little exaggerated. The clarification about MB's lack of confidence does help. That said, I don't think Brunell has the presence of mind to weigh risks (including reliance on the defense) in the seconds he has to throw. [And sorry if it seemed like I was calling you retarded ... when I read the post, it just seemed illogical, a retarded thought, not a retarded guy. Sorry about that.] On a name, a shorter name, Mike6 might make it faster for typing w/o losing the blogidentity.

Posse Redux is on the money about the odds that the O-line looks better will improve if/when Jason steps into the pocket. I can only guess why Brunell seemed to leave the protected pocket so often ... I'm guessing it was for a better line of sight between him (6'1") and WRs of equivalent height -- separated by a line of huge dudes. Jason's additional inches in height may help there.

Meg, thanks for the Duckett stats. These numbers look consistent with his career numbers, so maybe the Bucs are neither a bounty or bust for him. I'm inclined to like Duckett just b/c he is a Michigan State alumni and was awesome there, but I already did and continue to love Sellers, so I remain puzzled why Sellers wasn't the coaches' obvious choice as Portis insurance. If the idea is to get someone who can bang through a line, seems like Sellers' 260 pounds should have been just as effective as Duckett's 254. I dunno ... maybe Duckett is faster? Sellers can catch too. I just don't get it.

Posted by: dcsween | November 14, 2006 4:28 PM | Report abuse

bucks, tk doesn't care who he rips if he has something to say about them. ex. being mike wise of washpost. and someone else from the post. and at least 4 people he's p-ed off at espn since he was employed by espn.

mike, i don't think i'm making myself clear to you about the czabe and CSN situation. this is my last attempt at it:
1. kelli works hard to get interviews for the postgame show.
2. czabe p-ed off a player (brunell), insulted him and his coach (if you don't get this part don't worry about it).
3. if i am a teammate who likes brunell, who will get old one day, who likes gibbs, why would i want to take questions from czabe? they're teammates before they're players. and that's how the locker room has stayed together and that's the way it should be.
4. kelli didn't like the fact that czabe, by asking that stupid, retarted question made her job just that much harder.
5. CSN did not re-air the czabe question later that night.
6. we'll see what happens at the postgame show this sunday.

THE END!

someone brought up jon jansen "rating" his nfl bretherens. you know what? i don't know why he did that neither. and as far as him calling out steve, i really hope he was joking. cuz he hasn't really been that good of a "LEFT" tackle the past two.5 years. and hopefully he'll have a much better time at his natural position, right tackle. i remember samuels doing a pretty good job of that. so there's something to look forward to.

ummmmmmmmmmm anyword on the rb depth chart?

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 4:31 PM | Report abuse

NO!!!!! Not Portis!!!!!!

Posted by: QFB | November 14, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

OOPS!!

did anyone watch the game last night?

gardowsky didn't exactly look like elway.

bucks d is injured.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse

good for him. we'll probly never see him as a skin again.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

let portis head to the IR and get completely healthy for next season. in the meantime, we'll get some smashmouth football going (BeaST backfield--betts, sellers, duckett)....similar to DVD (dunn vick duckett). that should heavily aid j-campbell's development, and should ease growing pains.

Posted by: Portis' Health | November 14, 2006 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess this would be BCD...

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait till Portis is wearing Giant Blue next year... SSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTT.

PG

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 4:44 PM | Report abuse

forget it....portis is a redskin for life baby. will be back better than ever next year.

Posted by: k-man | November 14, 2006 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If Rock "I almost cost us the Houston game and did cost us the KC game last year" Cartwright gets carries over Duckett, I seriously think someone will need to check out Gibby for a mental disorder.

Gibby, I know, I know... he's a character guy. And yeah, I know... he's a great TEAMS player out THERE... but he fumbles the damn ball every 3rd carry.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | November 14, 2006 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm with you on Rock getting carries. Sorry, he had his chances, and fumbled them, and the ball away.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | November 14, 2006 4:52 PM | Report abuse

PG, you read my mind. i was thinking the same thing/team but i doubt they'll trade another good player to a division rival.

in all seriousness i believe that if this coaching staff is here next year, joe is still the president of this team, i don't see portis coming back here next year. call it a fanedumacated hunch.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't Portis be back?!

Posted by: spunky | November 14, 2006 5:10 PM | Report abuse

K-man - sorry, but the redskin 4 life thing just sprung up a question...

Finger/shoulder this year. He was healthy for what? 6 games? Put up some good numbers sure. But started looking timid this year. His "Life" has 2 more 14 game seasons, 3 tops. Which means we should be drafting or trading for an RB soon.

Posted by: Pub Golf | November 14, 2006 5:11 PM | Report abuse

listening to 980/ portis show.

he's claiming that him being on IR is eronious reporting.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Mike, wasn't picking on you. I've seen it so many times where people say they need to make 'a play'. Or this person is THE issue. Skins have no silver bullet solutions ... and lots of people seem to think there is one. Seems wishful thinking to me

Posted by: AL | November 14, 2006 5:16 PM | Report abuse

spunky, just a hunch. listening to what's been going on this season with him, al saunders, tj duckett, betts, him coming out on crucial downs, lots of things...hunch based on bunch of shti!

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Really Dealer? Cant get 980 in Cali...Gimmie the scoop

Posted by: OC Skins | November 14, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

O C Skins here is the link. It is free to join.

Posted by: jm220 | November 14, 2006 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Gracias Dealer

Posted by: OC Skins | November 14, 2006 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Here is the xxx espn link. It's also free to join.

Posted by: jm220 | November 14, 2006 5:29 PM | Report abuse

ok, we got a new quarterback, can we now go back to the burgundy pants and the white jerseys? maybe we can move back into RFK stadium.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 14, 2006 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry..Gracias jm220

Posted by: OC Skins | November 14, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

oc, the scoop is that portis hasn't talked to gibbs. he knows nothing about going on IR. he was asked if the IR thing is total speculation at this point and portis said "yes, total speculation".

also oc, 980 has portis interview podcasts so you can listen to it later...

in my humble opinion...and this goes in supporting my opinion that portis won't be here next year...

that howard bryant got it right but no one told portis about it.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Dealer..You may be right....It wouldnt surprise me at all if Portis is a Giant at all next yr. This will justify the Duckett trade/Saunders liking Betts more/not having enough draft picks, so trading Portis would give them an extra 1-2.

Posted by: OC Skins | November 14, 2006 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Good thing Gibbs brought in Duckett.

Posted by: Dana C. | November 14, 2006 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 5:57 PM | Report abuse

That Clinton Portis will not be a Redskin next year is ludicrous. Patently ridiculous.

I'm just saying.

Posted by: I'm Just Saying | November 14, 2006 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Good that Portis is on IR, next year he WILL BE A BEAST! Jason Campbell-Hallelujah, Thank you Jesus! We needed this change soooooooooo bad, damn it Gibbs!

Posted by: jrock | November 14, 2006 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Portis isn't on IR; the team is considering placing him there....

Posted by: Jason's editor | November 14, 2006 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Your Boys at the paper sure push a story towards one end of the spectrum

Posted by: OC Skins | November 14, 2006 6:15 PM | Report abuse

""...i don't see portis coming back here next year.""

Saunders will be here next year and sorry everyone but CP was really whiney this year. CP is also proving to not be very durable.

There's a possibility of that, but I don't think it will happen because of Gibbs loyalty.

I think what you are seeing right now is for the future. Namely are they going to resign Betts? Or let him go and sign Duckett instead.

This is a tryout for next year. Remember, they were talking to Betts about a new contract until they got Duckett.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | November 14, 2006 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'll assume that a shrimp boat is a type of seafood platter, then. I've been to the Shrimp Boat, I've seen shrimp boats in the ocean and the inlets, and I've eaten fried shrimp with reckless abandon (what, no fried okra to boot?), but not sure that I've ordered said "boat". Must be an Alabama thing.

Posted by: worstSeat | November 14, 2006 6:28 PM | Report abuse

People let's be realistic..for some of you that think or hope Portis should be back...get real. I hope Portis goes on IR. They have more than enough in Betts and Duckett to carry them the remainder of the season. Neither of them are Portis but honestly Betts and Duckett are good enough to be starting for another team elsewhere in the NFL.

Regardless of Duckett sitting around because of stupidity on management's part of not knowing how to acquire personnel...Duckett and Betts are going to work. We all have our opinions but it is what it is now. So let's roll with what the Skins have. It makes no sense for Portis to come back. He needs that hand to heal but MOST importantly he needs those shoulders to heal.

I'm in Florida and I'll be at the game on Tampa Sunday so it's going to be interesting to watch Campbell and how he reads the field. For all of you who are excited..be prepared..mistakes could come but I'm anxious to see how he goes out there and performs. Regardless of who thinks he should be in there or not...it's his stage now. The lights are on him. As Jason as mentioned he seems to have the characteristics within him as person to handle it. It's time for him to grow on the field now. Sideline/clipboard time is over. I can't wait. But please keep in mind it could get worse before it gets better with Campbell in there. But a young QB like him having so much talent to distribute the ball too around the field..most young QB's don't get to come into situation with that much talent around him so it will be fun to watch.

I didn't see Czaban's question or whatever he did to upset Brunell...so I'll leave it alone. As for Jansen..if he said what he said...nothing wrong with sticking up for a teammate. This will all blow over weeks from now. As for Pasqueralli...sure he's a columnist and his article about JC was written well. However, the way he started it and throwing in some of his own little shots...THAT IS NOT PROFESSIONAL. That's not what he's paid to do. If he wants to be his own little Redskin hater then fine but he should know better than to show it in his work. That's sad. It speaks for the kind of (un)professional he is. Oh well.

HAIL

Posted by: Jonathan | November 14, 2006 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrows Sports Headline

"Portis goes on IR and gets traded to NY football Giants"... Hope my facts...er a opinions are correct

Posted by: Howard Bryant | November 14, 2006 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I know you all were frustrated about not getting to see Jason "The Panacea" Campbell on the field earlier, but Czaban's question was completely unprofessional, out of line, and did nothing to help the Redskins' offensive woes, CSN's relationship with the Redskins, nor did it spur Joe Gibb's decision to bench Brunell in favor of Jason Campbell...but it did do what he intended it to do...It got him a boatload of attention (none of which Steve of the Giant Head but Baby Hands Czaban deserves). Regardless, there is a ton of buzz about it, as evidenced by the comments on this blog.

The people that think what Czaban did was a good thing, and that reporters like JLC and Bryant don't ask thoughtful, worthwhile, or "hard hitting" questions can't see the big picture, nor do they understand how to treat people with respect. Czaban is NOT making the world go around any more easily.

Posted by: DCLance | November 14, 2006 7:40 PM | Report abuse

okay, i have a confession to make. maybe maybe 1/4 cup of wishful thinking on my part when i said what i said. but 20% of the reason i said portis won't be here is because i see the skins having success with betts, ducket, sellers, jc, combo.

i'm just a hopeless, fickle fan. btw, i love portis. i think he's awesome. i think gibbs likes him. but i see so many parallels between Portis and the L. Coles situation. and we all know how that ended.

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is a jerk...plain and simple. He just likes to stir things up. If we were winning (remember those days, anyone?) he would still find something negative to say...

I have a friend who is a former NFL player (from way back) and when Brunell was playing HORRIBLY 2 years ago, I asked my friend why didn't he just go to Gibbs and asked to be benched for the team's sake....my friend laughed at me and said no NFL player would EVER do that.

Posted by: Lisa | November 14, 2006 8:05 PM | Report abuse

The Czabe interview is a big deal only to CSN and WTEM, his employers. If it drives the ratings up, it's good.

But, if CSN losses access to the team and ratings aren't that great, than it's bad. Plain and Simple.....

Posted by: 4th Floor | November 14, 2006 8:14 PM | Report abuse

not having enough draft picks

oc, brother/sister, ohh how i wish this organization would actually care about their draft picks and would treat them as if it were gold. but they don't. el presidente could care less. the only way they get more picks next year is if they give up their 2008 picks to get 2007 picks. i think it's called "mortgaging your future". they'll probly give up portis to the gents plus another draft pick to get pierce back. :)

Posted by: dealer | November 14, 2006 8:23 PM | Report abuse

I just looked at the interview on YouTube. Actually, I think Ken Harvey's question hurt Brunell more then Czabe's question......

Posted by: 4th | November 14, 2006 8:32 PM | Report abuse

The skins would never trade portis to a div. rival.

Posted by: Skinz | November 14, 2006 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Can we please stop talking about that idiot Czaban? He had nothing to do with this. Let's not be dillusional.

Blog Law: No more mindless ramblings about this guy, please?

Posted by: Jason La Canfora | November 14, 2006 9:19 PM | Report abuse

WAWAWAWAWA

Posted by: Anonymous | November 14, 2006 10:30 PM | Report abuse

you guys crack me up. you think portis should be traded? portis is the primary reason for our success since he's been here(yeah i know our success has been minimal, but would be far less without him.) he's a beast and doesn't back down. i don't see anyone who runs harder in the entire league. trading him would be a big mistake, unless it was straight up for champ bailey

Posted by: cosmofla | November 14, 2006 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Jason, Amen. Time to move on folks.

Posted by: Ali Haji Shank | November 14, 2006 11:23 PM | Report abuse

A few thoughts. A long Campbell bomb that gets intercepted is as good as a Frost shank punt after three ineffective dinks. I hope he airs it out a little. Duckett may be good, but Betts can never get through seven games (plus cold weather) as the feature back without getting hurt. So I guess we will see some running from Rock and Sellars, which is ok with me. Somebody has to be the odd man out next year at RB. Speaking of which, can anybody post up a list on which of our players become free agents next year? If Jansen, Samuels, or Dockery are up, I say let them go. Especially Jansen, who appears to be warming up his braocasting career with a lot of hot air and not much power blocking.
If Porty goes IR, what is this news of the retired Carolina Linebacker, and whose job would he take? Is McIntosh ever gonna see the feild?

Posted by: Harbinger | November 14, 2006 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Dealer,

I understood the first time actually. I am not disagreeing with you. I just think it is a silly thing for the players to do is all. It does nothing but hurt people that are not Czaban. Players around the league have to answer questions like that all the time. Since Gibbs has been here and Snyder to some extent it is almost a no no to ask a real question. Not very American. I am guessing they will still get interviews and they asked Czaban to tone it down.

The results of the question have done nothing but help Comcast and Czaban. Even though they edited it out for future runs. All press is good press and Czaban became part of the story.

Posted by: Mike4169@aol.com | November 15, 2006 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Harbinger, I think Dockery is the only free agent starter O-lineman this year.

Posted by: dcsween | November 15, 2006 10:52 AM | Report abuse

cosmofla, no one said portis "should" be traded. i said my hunch is portis "will" be traded. and yes, i agree with you that he's the hardest working rb in the league. and that's why i think it's better for him to leave because the skins ask way too much of him to do. (this season not counting because he was injured most of the time and came in and out of series). he deserves to be in a better situation. just like L. Coles, gibbs liked him but couldn't keep him and samething may happen here. dude, it's just a hunch. i'm just predicting the future based on what's happened here...

Posted by: dealer | November 15, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think Joe Gibbs need to start Jason Campbell instead of Mark Burnell. After last week game loss to Eagles, we need a QB before it too late.

Posted by: Stephan Johnson | November 15, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

you guys crack me up. you think portis should be traded? he's a beast and doesn't back down. i don't see anyone who runs harder in the entire league.

Two words for you
Larry Johnson

Posted by: Anonymous | November 15, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

you have your opinion and i have mine. i'll take portis. did you see larry johnson against miami? two different style backs.

why does portis deserve to be in a better situation? he's paid extremely well and the fans love him. The skins are down but are doing everything they can to get better. i could see that if he was underpaid. to be honest i don't know when his contract expires. i'd be very disappointed if we traded him.

Posted by: cosmofla | November 15, 2006 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Good article on Campbell JLC. Coach Joe
always did stay too long with a struggling
ageing QB ala Joe T. no offense to anyone.
An athlete will never admitt that he can't do it anymore, it is his competitive nature, a coach must decide the issue like Bill Parcels did in Dallas. It was a wise decision by Coach Joe to make the switch. Things are done at Redskin park that boggles the mind, and I hope if the kid struggles like any rookie, he won't be yanked prematurely and Brunnell inserted back in, if this happens we are in serious trouble for a long time beyond this season Jason Campbell deserves all the playing time he can get. Steady improvement for
Jason over the rest of the season is what to look for. We could be in great shape for
'07.