What To Do Vs. McNabb?

I know the pass-happy coaches in Philly have to thinking about picking on the corners Monday, especially if Springs is the nickel and if the Skins continue to play mostly Cover-3 (though they also played a lot more Cover-2 than I expected on a lot of third downs and didn't come with as many all-out blitzes in the nickel as I thought they would).

It was obvious with the zone and the cushions at the line that the game plan was all about taking away the big play ... But that leaves a seam about 20 yards downfield between the CBs and LBs, and that's where Miami found success. And the Skins went into the game doubting Green's ability to get the deep too often - they were right - while McNabb can throw it 70 yards off the wrong foot.

I smell 40 passes for McNabb, maybe more.

Also, the short stuff in the flat to Chapman exploited another crease in the defense, and you've got to think the combination of a lot of dinks and dunks to Westbrook will draw DBs in, and try to set up the kind of bombs the Eagles pulled on the Skins a year ago.

This will be a big test for Smoot and you have to think they're going to test him.

Also, the Skins got away with playing the run with 7 in the box a lot in the second half, but everyone is gauging just how much LaRon is ready for when dropped back. They may need 8 in the box given how much better the Philly O Line is compared to that hodge-podge the Dolphins threw together. And when Landry is dropped back in the Cover-2, you have to think they'll throw at him a bit, too. Philly killed the Skins in Cover-2 last year and while the personnel is better in depth in the secondary, Carlos and Smoot still have a lot to prove as a tandem.

Bottom line to me is the offense has to stick to that 2-1 run to pass ratio, hit those magic numbers (15-20 carries for CP and Ladell; JC throws 20 times and take 4-5 good shots downfield). They're going to need 24 points to win this one, and the Eagles, without Lito, should be vulnerable deep.

You know Jim Johnson is going to try to rattle JC on a Monday night in that stadium, and if he can read the blitz as well as he did on the OT pass to Cooley, and limit the poor decisions, this could be tight coming down the stretch and that's all you can really ask for.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 11, 2007; 11:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jansen Speaks .. So Does Wade
Next: Reche Caldwell in the building

Comments

90,970

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Good points. Why is our best corner on the bench?

Posted by: bishop | September 11, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This will have to be the game where Area 51 shows its dominance. Gotta get pressure on McNabb. It's a lot harder to stretch the field when #30 is in your grill.

Posted by: etrod | September 11, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

from last post:::

It all sounds very similar to the Lavar thing to me....."He's hurt"...."I'm not hurt"......"He's a step slow"......"I feel the best I've felt in years"......

Frankly, I don't care about the feelings of the players, they are employees, spoiled rotten but employees nonetheless....However, I do care about the ego of a coaching staff/president of football operations that seems to make decisions more often than not out of stubbornness and a seeming desire to prove everyone else wrong. (Arrington, Wade, Clark, D-Line, FA vs. Draft) Which they rarely do. If Springs isn't the best corner fine, than trade or cut him and take the hit this year and have his space next year when he was going to be here anyway, we don't need a $5 million dollar nickel back and if he's healthy and we're doing this because of some story that Springs might be the source for, that's just stupid.

Posted by: Jack | September 11, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, JLA. Good stuff.

On a side note, Kazmir just STIFLES us, every outing we have against him.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | September 11, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs will be on triplexespn.com in a few minutes.

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they are saving Springs from wearing out or maybe he has fallen a bit out of favor with Williams. We'll see.

One thing is for sure, we generally don't do well on Monday nights and are slow starters. However, our defense is for real - they weren't going to show much against the Dolphins but they will against the Eagles.

Westbrook will be the X-Factor in this game. Cause he is a blitz killer.

Posted by: JoeyV | September 11, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

No one said Foist yet? ...shame.

I like our matchup against Cream Cheese. I think our TE/Fullbacks block their linebackers & the running tandem has a good day.

I don't think Green Bay is all that, so our offense should do well. And while the D is going to be challenged fo sho - I say, knock over Nabby a few times & he's going to hear footsteps!

Battle of the Soups - bring it on!

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Attempted McNabb bombs = Sean Taylor Int's.

Posted by: bigfish | September 11, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

45-10 skins!

Posted by: dealer | September 11, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

well put jasno.... my feeling is since they have a game film and more history to work with on Philly they will mix it up more and test Mcnabb's willingness to move around on that knee... ie blitz... i think first game alot of unknowns miami/ trent green/ cam O? so play it conservative don't give up the big play....as we move along GG will find out what this group does best and dial up the pressure accordingly to his team and opposing team...what made this team very good in the past was to force thec qb to make a quick hurried throw to a player short of the first down ( a spot on the field left open by the D by design) then fly to that prdetermined outlet and make him wish the QB thru the ball away instead....thats double g's defense quick attacking pressure and fly to the ball

Posted by: Old School | September 11, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I think you'll see a coming out party for JC and unfortunately our defense comes back to earth some. Believe it or not, I think we win a shoot out, Moss won't drop 60 yards worth of receptions including a TD again, and Thrash will be our 3rd this week and he catches that TD Lloyd let go through his hands and Cooley gets used some this week. I see 31 - 28 Skins.

Posted by: Jack | September 11, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

If there is a god we go in there and crush Philly and go up two games on them.

Although, the gods have forsaken us for going on 15 years.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Road division game. Can the skins score an offensive TD this year? Probably not.

Posted by: Peter | September 11, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll redeem myself this week. You just wait and see.

Posted by: Brandon Lloyd | September 11, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Every year G. Williams has had somebody in his doghouse. Archulletta and Arrington are two that come to mind now. Sure looks like S. Springs has won the spot in G. Williams doghouse this year. Hey, at least he picks somebody different every year. I think he actually paid archuletta to come here and take that position. I'm a bit surprised that he's given that roll to S. Springs now though. G. Williams has lost his mind.

Posted by: Max | September 11, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

90,990

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

This will be a time of possession game. Philly is undersized on defense, Kearse tends to play the pass more than the run, and they cut their true run stuffer in Trotter. The Redskins should run downhill on them all day and hit a few playaction bombs. I actually think Lloyd is going to have a big day if he plays as No. 3 again.

On Defense, Williams can hide Smoot early and get the offense out of rhythm by using a corner blitz and blitzing Smoot. That allows Carlos, the linebackers, and Springs , if playing, to sit on the short routes that McNabb has trouble throwing accurately and gamble that McNabb wont have time for the deep stuff to develop. We're going to see the return of the blitz heavy Williams defense. Especially from the edges to try to keep McNabb and Westbrook from getting outside.

My prediction? 20-13 Skins.

Posted by: Mike H. | September 11, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

If Green Bay can beat the Eagles, so can the Redskins.

Posted by: Max | September 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

That's not Shawn Springs - that's Piggy's head on a stick!

-William Golding

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

When Smoot came in, the team said it was all about he's our third corner. Once training camp was on, it was he's competing with Carlos.

On opening day, though, there he is playing for Springs.

What's going on? Oh, and the same thought applies to Todd starting for Jansen; where's the veteran preference been, once you get past the hire itself?

Posted by: Dick | September 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

They're going to need 24 points to win this one

Yeah just like Packers need 24 to win. I totally disagree and believe you will be eating those words just like with CP.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Why do we need 24 points when Green Bay only needed 16?

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

This game goes down to the last possession. 'Skins 23, Iggles 21.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 11, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

9,000 to The Boren Ultimatum, Cyn Cyty!

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Skins: 237
Cream Cheese: 1

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The last time the Skins played Philly when they lost their first game was in 2002. And they killed us at home.

The Eagles are going to be angry after losing to a pathetic Green Bay team.

The issue here is more than X's and O's. It's whether or not the Skins can handle Philly at the onset...they will be jacked up to play.

If the Skins can withstand the first few punches the Eagles throw, they have a chance.

Defensively, the Skins can't win if the CBs give 5 yard cushions. That makes it too easy for the QB. Smoot is a better man-to-man defender than zone.

Bottom line, start Springs. Offensively, Santana needs a big game. With Lito Sheppard out, this is his chance to make big plays.

Posted by: dutchgirl | September 11, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

St. Joe said given Shawn's injury history, the fact that he had missed 2 pre-season games, that there was some issue with his hamstring, and that Jerry Gray told them that Shawn didn't have his usual burst in practice, they decided that they would not start him and try to preserve him as long as possible. He said playing him in the nickel packages was more precautionary than anything else.

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

>>> "that's Piggy's head on a stick"

Brilliant.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 11, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

A hurt Springs is still better than Smoot and Rogers

Posted by: CoSkins | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The difference is GB was at home. We're playing at their place on a Monday night with them coming off a bad game. We're gonna have to score 20 points to win.

Posted by: Jack | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Also, when quotes from Springs were read to him, he said that he intended to have to discussion with Shawn to make their thinking clear to him.

So, we'll see what happens.

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Forget the GB game. If the Birds don't drop two punts, they win that one. McNabb and the offense was completely out of sync, but it was special team gaffes that did them in. They'll get that stuff straightened out this week and then it will just be a matter of whether the offense can find its rhythm. The defense looked solid; granted, they were facing a team with rookies in skill positions. But I'd say that the GB defense compares favorably to Miami's. Cuts both ways, know what I mean?

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hi Dick - nice moniker!

jm220 - u talkin' to Jasno? 'cause then it makes sense.

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I think the skins will need to blitz more and play some man-to-man on the outside. They can't allow McNabb time or he will shred their zone defenses. Keep Taylor as a single deep safety and everyone else take their man.

On Offense, I think they need to challenge Phily's defensive backs. Quick slants and outs by the recievers will open up the middle for runs and crossing patterns. Although a 2:1 R:P ratio would be nice, I have a feeling the Eagles will stack the line until the Skins prove they can beat them with the pass

Posted by: Paul S. | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Keep drinking me because the Redskins D isn't even close to being as good as the Packers D.

Posted by: Kool Aid | September 11, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Me and LaRon plan on eating some babies and pooping out thunder on Monday night in Philly...watch out.

Posted by: Sean Taylor | September 11, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

They won't score 20 if they can't score 7.

Posted by: Peter | September 11, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we can totally hit 100k, the Boren Ultimatum, by bye week, no? Dame, you're good at ciphering, figure this out. I may have to repost my list of don'ts.....

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

With the comment Springs made about the salary he is making this year so he is not "trippin", I personally feel that the dog house is the place where he rightfully belongs.

Posted by: drbatch | September 11, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Area 51, there's a night club in Miami with that name. I'm gonna have to check it out the next time I'm down that way. LOL

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think GB's D compares at all to Miami- Miami was a top eschelon D last year and expect to continue this year.

Miami's dirth was/is offense. I don't know the exact #'s - but I don't think anyone was touting GB as the next steel curtain.

& thx 4 tha props, Diddy!

Posted by: Dik | September 11, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes I was talking to JLC.

Packers D isn't all that great and their O surely isn't great. McNabb isn't 100% and they still don't have any receivers. It will not take 24 points just like it didn't take the Packers 24 points.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

jm220...why all the hate?

The Eagles are a real deal team. Especially at home with McNabb healthy. We struggle against them every year. I still think we're going to split with them this year and this would be the one that we'd lose if that's the case.

Don't get me wrong. I think we've got a shot. But, I also think we'd come away pretty ok from a hard fought close loss in Philly. It would build team character.

Anyway...

My homer prediction: 24-17 skins
My realistic prediction: 24-17 iggles

Posted by: nyskinsfan | September 11, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Skins 17 Igles 14 in a boring grind it out NFC East classic. J-Campb will loosen up a bit and get his mojo going and Swish will kick the deciding field goal mid 4th quarter.

Posted by: Bob-Ashburn, VA | September 11, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Re. GB Defense...you're wrong. They are young and stout. I"m not saying they are better or worse than Miami. I'm just saying that as your offense was stymied by a stout D, as was Philly's.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm no conspiracy theorist but Springs "being demoted" is BS. My take: he is injured and is far from 100%. But Gibbs and Co met with Springs and decided that he could save his pride and we could fool other teams. What player do you not want the other team to know is injured? All of them but especially your corners. So Springs is hurt but you don't want the other team to know, so they can't game plan for it. So you let him talk about how he's healthy and getting paid and you play inferior corners hoping they don't pick on Springs when he gets in. I love your work JLac and I love a free and independent media but any company worth 1.3 billion dollars (i.e the Redskins) better know how to work the media.

PS: Hail!

Posted by: sellers4prezNYC | September 11, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Coach Gibbs also said they'd be bringing in another receiver at some point. Hopefully, it'll be someone who's serviceable and hungry.

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Cyn, I expect us to hit 100K before kickoff of the Giants game at 4:15 pm EDT on 9/23/07. It'll be tough, but hey... weren't they all?

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Two things I hate are:

1. Being intolerant of others peoples cultures.

2. The Dutch.

Other than that I think Dutchgirl is spot on.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Especially at home with McNabb healthy.

1. McNabb is not 100 healthy
2. There is really no hate on my part. Just fact like I said about CP. (when JLC question him)
3. Our O is better than Packers. (our Qb no but over all O yes)

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

does anyone remember that game 2 years ago when mcnabb tried to do a fake spike only to confuse his own o-line and get smacked around by ours? classic.

Posted by: john (DC) | September 11, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to hit that D line and make them my SJK. Sometimes I eat kittens, if Eagles weren't protected I'd eat them.

Posted by: Mike Sellers | September 11, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

jm220...and our O is better than Miami's. Handicapping games based on week 1 results is a fool's game. This is the NFC East...these team's know each other well. It's always a battle, throw out the records...

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

dcIggle agreed and that's why I don't think it will take 24 points. To be hones I don't think either team will score 24.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Fellas,

I need the address of redskins park. I just traded a dime bag to Andy Reid's son for their playbook. Hook me up.

Posted by: Seantizzy 2 d hizzy | September 11, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

What about a dual Laron/Sean safety blitz to knock McNabb silly?? No good?? No?? Nothing??

Posted by: boo | September 11, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

They key to beating them is going to be stopping Westbrook.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip JM. Smack yourself please.

Posted by: Capt. Obvious | September 11, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

jm...gotcha. I see a 17-13 kinda score as well.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

The 10 yard hooks last week make a lot of sense if we were in Cover 3. That is the hole of that defense. The only way to stop it is if the LBs get VERY wide in coverage...something we're less likely to do with our committment to stop the run.

I'm not quite sure what we were playing when Chambers got deep on both Rogers and Smoot. That shouldn't happen in Cover 3 and it should be very difficult in Cover 2.

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | September 11, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

jm220 is the winner! Westbrook is clearly the key to winning this game. Luckily we have a fast young LB and 2 safeties that should be able to hold their own.

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | September 11, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Iggles have no good WRs (Brown is ok, but not elite). Worried about McNabb, LJ Smith and Westbrook. I would assume that we will see Landry around Westbrook most of the game. I would also assume we will see McIntosh around Smith. We also need to make sure that McNabb doesn't kill us with his runs (which he seems to do every time we play them).

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I don't care what the score is I'm healthy and making $5 million dollars. With my salary, if we don't win another its fine with me, its whatever they want to do.

Posted by: Shawn Springs | September 11, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

The Eagles have never had "elite" WR's (the brief TO era being an abberation). It's a spread offense. You key on Westbrook obviously, but that leaves LJ Smith, Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis, Baskett etc. Look out for Curtis. He has the speed to test deep.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Something about this Springs issue stinks in the exact same way the Lavar issue stank. I think the coaches are deliberately limiting Springs playing time because he was unwilling to restructure his contract in order to help out the FO. Same thing happened to Lavar. Look for the situation with Springs to just get worse as the season goes on.

Posted by: JonTPK126 | September 11, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 11, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

...and it certainly doesn't take an elite WR to beat the likes of Smoot and Rogers...

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The key to this game won't be Westbrook I don't think.

We will put 8 in the box to contain Westbrook and dare McNabb to beat us with his Arm.

The key will be if we can run the ball. If we can, then Randel El against their Nickel corner over the top like last week will be huge as it will create space for Cooley to work the middle.

Posted by: Skinz | September 11, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the deep pass will be our problem. Taylor will pop a few guys and they will catch "Pinkstonitis."

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

How effective will LJ Smith be? Isn't he struggling w/ an injury of some type (for some reason, I wanna say a groin)? He only had 2 catches for 14 yds against GB, I see.

And, Curtis might have the speed to test deep, but does he have the fortitude to test the Reaper?

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Frost, 5 punts, average of 48 yds, and tied for best in the NFL with a long of 64. He is the real deal, finally we have a guy who can punt the ball deep.

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Oaklands kicker sucks.

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

jm...gotcha. I see a 17-13 kinda score as well.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 12:53 PM

That sounds more like it.

Posted by: jm220 | September 11, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

DrUggles,

I dare any of those guys to run accross the middle. Remember PINKston look like a fool on national television is one of the two things that brings a smile to my face. The other is wearing the necklace i made with TO's finger on it.

Posted by: Sean Taylor | September 11, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

oh and Skins by +1

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

My prediction on this game (and I was soooo right about Offensive Play 1, Game 1...) is that this will be another Monday Night game to rival Skins-Pokes of a couple years ago. Only without Brunell...

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

LJ is less than 100% with a groin injury. They have a promising rookie named Celek who will see time.

Fortitude to test the Reaper....please. These guys are professionals. Taylor does get beat deep sometimes, as do most safeties.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

35332.... AGREED.

That 64 yard punt was a bomb. He has the ability and potential to be very good. He just needs to focus on consistency and very few shanks...

Posted by: E in VB | September 11, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

can we stop with this area 51 crap? Dolphins had no offense whatsoever. supposedly an easy win but soups sucks a$$ . the defense will have to rush Mcnabb just like the Packers did, otherwise it be game over before halftime fellas

Posted by: tu madre | September 11, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Breaking News:
Browns trade Frye to Seattle

So much for getting anything for Brunell

Posted by: JonTPK126 | September 11, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Pinkston didn't seem to have a problem redeeming himself after the alligator arm incident:

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow... I had just read that the Browns were trying to unload him, but I didn't think anyone would actually trade for him.

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the comments below the clip...

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes dciggle...a clip that justified the firing of Ryan Clark.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

how come no one believes me when i say 45-10. skisn win! and 10 will come in garbage time. and miami will beat the stinkin girls.

Posted by: dealer | September 11, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Midway down, under the Daily recap from monday you will find the link to Cooleys call.

Posted by: Zebra | September 11, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

And yet still, I'd rather have Pinky than Brandon Lloyd!

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

John Madden says it best:

"The key to winning is to score more points than the other guy."

BOOM!

Posted by: Dorf | September 11, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Hard to tell if game 1 was an aberration for Philly. A healthy McNabb is going to win his share. But their receivers are nothing special and his best player, Westbrook, is not an every down player. Their defense is pretty strong, but missing a top DB. And Andy Reid's family problems ... that has to be distracting.

So its tough to tell after one week if the Eagles are good and that loss at GB was a fluke, or if they might have a year like the Skins did last season. And it sure would be nice to see the Skins 2-0.

Posted by: AL | September 11, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JustMe | September 11, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

And yet still, I'd rather have Carlos Rogers than Will James!

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I got called out last night on my classiness. I would like everyone to understand here and now, I never claimed to have class. I just abide. All I've ever done.

If you want to talk football all the time 24-7 you have issues. You get to know people up here and SJK it, I like, most people, enjoy the side conversations.

Stay classy Redskins Insider.
I don't.

Posted by: Dorf | September 11, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Now, ask yourself how the F he missed that ball. Gimme Thrash, we are going to need a possession guy who can provide an outlet to JC with pressure coming from Philly's D...NOT a master of the spectacular missed ball/int/quit on pursuit play

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | September 11, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

rather have Gibbs (HOF, 3rings) over (don't win when it matters) Reid.

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers is your starting CB. Will James is our nickel guy. Not really a fair comparison...and yet still, I'm not sure I don't take Will James!

Sure, three rings, hall of fame, etc...how's the comeback working out though?

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

with JC's hight we need a taller WR for the slot, which we don't have. He throws high but thats cuz he has 6 in on most our other guys.

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh and I got my feelings hurt so my nugget pouch is fairly tender.

Posted by: Dorf | September 11, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Sure, three rings, hall of fame, etc...how's the comeback working out though?

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 01:36 PM

Refresh my memory. Last time you won an NFL title was-- what year again?

Posted by: dcskin | September 11, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

height don't amount to jack or sh*t when you can't get open or make plays

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | September 11, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

UUmmmmm....last I heard, Lito Sheppard is out. Will James is your starter this week.

Good luck with that.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Refresh my memory. Last time you won an NFL title was-- what year again?

Posted by: dcskin | September 11, 2007 01:39 PM

Before I was born. But what that has to do with this Monday night is anyone's guess.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Steve McNair and Carson Palmer could have used some height at receiver last night...about 18 feet of it.

F the AFC

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

And Lito Sheppard out has everything to do with Monday night's game. Philly D is weak on the edges. Expect Moss/ARE to have a big night.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

nothing to do with this week's game. just couldn't remember the last time the iggles won a title.

Posted by: dcskin | September 11, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

F the AFC

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2007 01:42 PM

ditto Leinart and Alex Smith - talk about ugly

Posted by: skinswest | September 11, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Andy Reid will never win the Eagles the Lombardi, he let the window close, and traided the doush who got you to the big game away and has never had a No 1 WR, hell one could say never had even a no 2 other than TO.

McNabb with the Eagles reminds me of the whole Marino with the Dolphins thing, you try and win a superbowl with a Great QB and you can't do it because the other 10 guys need to be great too. His job in a Superbowl is not to win the game but to get it to 3-4 others who can. Other than McNabb and maybe Westbrook the Eagles do not have crap for O. They could let a drunk fan play WR and they would be about the same.

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

dcIggle;

After the game your team played last week, do you really have reason to be optimistic? Especially since Iggles fans are notoriously pessimistic fans.

My wifes side of the family is current or former iggles fans so I have good perspective on such things.

When a loss happens, everyone wants to can Reid and trade #5. Skins fans maybe foolishly optimistic, but isnt foolishly pessimistic worse?

Posted by: Zebra | September 11, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Good luck with that.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 01:41 PM

No duh, nitwit. Lito missed much of last year too. Will James and Joselio Hanson filled in for him and both played servicably. Thankfully, the Eagles have some depth at CB.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"For anyone (Mike H) who thinks that Lloyd is going to have a breakout game this week, hit this link and scroll to picture #15:

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | September 11, 2007 01:31 PM"

That is ridiculous.... That picture says a THOUSAND (CUSS) WORDS!

Sure was a good thing he put on 10 lbs of muscle! So he can use them sitting on the bench... BAMF

He gave up on the route... i DVR'd the game and had to check that play again... he was practically jogging until he realized the ball was coming. It should have been a touchdown! What a shame he is to the Redskins (esp the FO).

How about picture #5! That is horrible! Just gruesome. you kinda knew it though... when you saw him screaming and agonizing in pain! Ahhhhh. Awful!

Posted by: E in VB | September 11, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Prediction: Andy Reid doesn't make the playoffs this year and is on the hot seat.

Time for him to give up football and try parenting full-time.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Summer behind her
MV now a ghost island
Dark, gray, and lonely

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

he'll be Byron Eastbrook after Reaper lays the wood

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

AL - completely agree. I don't think you can judge any team until week 4 or 5. By that time you have enough games to tell which teams are good and which teams are bad. From there, you can make a judgment on the quality of each team's wins.

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Please don't start with the Springs squak. Lets just be happy about the win. I think if we pull this off Monday night we can be realisticaly looking at 6-0 to start the season. Giants won't have Eli, Usi, Jacobs etc.. in two weeks, we play Det at home after a Bye, GB could be tough, Cardinals are nothing special.

Posted by: Ryan | September 11, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"nitwit" Glad to see it only took 2 posts to get you to resort to a personal attack.

You are a true-blue Iggles fan.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Time for him to give up football and try parenting full-time.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 01:49 PM

You stay classy, South Carolina!

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

y'all are crazy. campbell will never be any better than he is now. what you see is what you get, williams is an asss, springs is the new lavar, philly will stomp us....again, to think otherwise is being a blind homer.

Posted by: reality check | September 11, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"Frye was also sacked five times before giving way to Derek Anderson early in the second quarter."

Holy SJKp! 5 sacks in essentially 1 quarter of play? That's beyond awful.

Posted by: skinswest | September 11, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else think that Wilbon was too harsh on Boller in today's article. Granted, Boller is not a star, but he is only thier backup and he did throw a touchdown pass (to be called back by a bad penalty) and hit two recievers right between the numbers.

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

iggles fan talking about lack of class. word that comes to mind is oxymoron. where's the Redcoat fellow who was the 'Fish fan. he brought witty banter and fun trash talking to the blog. but hey. what do you expect from philly?

Posted by: dcskin | September 11, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Nate Dogg, check it out...

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

And hey, if you're getting to it late, you can see what happened before!

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

BT... what bums me out re: Wilbon is no Redskins column yet, but we have to read about the Crows right after they play?

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, MV. We now have focus and a finish line! 100k by 4:15 EDT, 9/23/07.
I'm gonna need to stock up on provisions.

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zebra | September 11, 2007 01:48 PM

Zebra...do I reason to be optimistic? I really have no clue. Reid's team have a history of laying eggs on opening day. That said, if they'd have had someone who can catch a punt, they would have escaped that ugly game with a win. Excuses, excuses...

Review my posts here. Show me where I have predicted anything other than a close, low-scoring game, btw.

It doesn't take long for Skins fans to play the 3 rings card though. That was a loooong time ago though. I may be biased but I'll take Andy Reid *today* over Joe Gibbs *today*.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, all. Just one more...

Ahh. Home sweet home.

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 01:54 PM

Totally agree BT. Boller's team mates let him down - not the other way around. Todd Heap should be kicking himself for that one he dropped.

Posted by: skinswest | September 11, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

DC,

Lived there for 4 years, this guy is about what I expect. My buds from up there and I did a ton of smack talk back in the day durring the Skins Eagles week.

Early
At
Gin
Lost
Every
Superbowl

Posted by: 35332 | September 11, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

dcIggle...

I admit it... I am a fan of Sheldon Brown (South Carolina alum)

=]

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget to get a Stadium Gal, Cyn!

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

And just when I thought that I would try to limit the amount of time that I spent on RI, Cindy goes and issues the challenge, below.

And since I can never refuse a good challenge, well I'm in.

Who's with me/us?
==================
Thanks, MV. We now have focus and a finish line! 100k by 4:15 EDT, 9/23/07.
I'm gonna need to stock up on provisions.

Posted by: Cindy | September 11, 2007 01:57 PM

Posted by: Stumptown Chris | September 11, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

beep beep....

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"to think otherwise is being a blind homer"

Hey reality check:

Homer WAS blind, according to tradition!

Wikit ifn u doubt me.

Posted by: farstriker | September 11, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

new post.... make my day, Reche!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 11, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

SC...haha. What can Brown do for you? ;)

Most Eagle fans prefer Brown to Lito (who sometimes goes by the nickname Litoast).

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

E in VB, Lloyd did give up on the route. I was at the game and watching him slow down to a jog until he saw Campbell release the ball. The Miami DB never gave up.

Lloyd needs some "tendinitis" so he can sit for the rest of the season.

Posted by: Mike Diamond | September 11, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

...and you know when I said "nitwit" I really meant to say "fellow fan of the opposing team", right?

Seriously though...I know a lot of my Eagle fans can be a bit much to take. I go to the Skins game at Fed Ex every year and walk away appalled at some of the behavior I see.

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Llyod is a bum. I tried to defend him last year during the first few weeks, but I was wrong (completely wrong). This guy needs to be cut immediately. There have to be better guys out there, just have to be...

Posted by: BT | September 11, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

F dcIggle.

Go find an iggles blog and be a clown there.

Posted by: Tank | September 11, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree on the Wilbon column. Was quite odd to blame that loss on the back-up qb who came in and made some nice throws. Blame the officials, blame McNair for turning it over 20 times, blame whoever you like but taking another shot at Boller is odd.

And btw, Mike Wilbon, Byron Leftwich is no better than Kyle Boller. He has been given more opportunities than Boller ever has and Leftwich has never taken advantage of any of them. Leftwich to me is Ramsey: big-armed kid, tough, will stand in the pocket and deliver a strike but is also immoble, largely inaccurate, and not great at reading defenses.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | September 11, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 01:04 PM

ummm...Chris Chambers is considered a pretty good wr...not elite...but compared to anything that the iggles have...
Looking back, I believe he was the only wr beating Smoot and Rodgers consistantly.

Posted by: jonnie5 | September 11, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon can make some great points, but be completely off the wall at other times... I don't get him!

Posted by: E in VB | September 11, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody else notice how poorly the Eagles did against common opponents in the preseason?

I'm talking about the Ravens (Lost 29-3)and the Steelers (Lost 27-13) when the guys who made the 53-man roster were on the field.

The Redskins will beat Philly and beat em bad!!!!!!

Posted by: rb | September 11, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

We need at least 24 points bc that guy who fielded punts/kickoffs will not be there or will not do anything stupid like that again. Thats the only reason they lost. 3 tds and a couple field goals gives us the win. Thats 5 scoring drives, I'm biting my nails right now

Posted by: Burg w/ a U | September 11, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

That Boller pass to Heap had a little Michael Vick in it...throw it to the closest guy at 114 mph. Boller sjks, ask any Ravens fan. Though that earlier TD pass to Heap should have stood. I wonder if Billick would have gone for 2 to win it, or do you go by the book and play for OT on the road.

Guess it all goes to show that your punter shouldn't be kicking extra points.

Posted by: SMACK | September 11, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcIggle | September 11, 2007 12:34 PM

are you insane?

Posted by: Reality Check | September 11, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I really do think we could expose the Eagles as kind of an aging joker team that people were just lazy and stupid to pick as the class of the NFC East.
Defense is just OK; secondary is weak. McNabb is one good hit away from the bench. Wideouts blow. Westbrook and LJ are money but take them out and you walk over these guys.

I see Skins 31, Smeagles 10

Posted by: Homer Jones | September 11, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

to dciggles---of course they are going to bring up joe gibbs 3 super bowls rings and a bunch of other things from the past since they have not done anything in 15 years worth bragging about. And sqeaking in to the playoffs 2 years ago and winning an awful playoff game by putting up like 140 yards is nothing to brag about

Posted by: Brian | September 11, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And it is funny how proud they are of that garbage win against Miami---the dolphins are 1 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL and it still took overtime to beat them 16-13 at home. There is nothing impressive about that since the Dolphins CANNOT score.
Watch when Dallas drops 41 on the dolphins in Miami this week to see a legit team and then watch the redskins get beat 31-9 by the eagles

Posted by: Brian | September 11, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hit Donovan in his damn knee!

F tha Eagles!
Flippin birds at some birds! Mike Vick style.

Posted by: nex2no1 | September 11, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

31-10 redskins????

HAHAHAHAHA it will take the redskins 3 games to score 31 points

Good luck trying to stop our offense on November 18th especially since we will have Terry Glenn back by then

Posted by: Jerry Jones | September 11, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Philly - 31 Skins - 10

Smoot can't handle the starting job. Williams should get over himself and start Springs. What's he going to do, blow his coverage on purpose in a contract year? I like the D so far, but without pressure, McNabb is going to pick them apart. Monday night in Philly? Tough for any QB. That being said, I am fasting for the rest of the week so that God gives us a victory.

Posted by: NazSkinsFan | September 11, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Brian.... stop being paranoid about your biggest rival that has taken 3 of the last 4 from you cowgirls... Go back to where someone listens or gives a darn about what you think... Just wait! GO HOME!

Posted by: Brian - Hater | September 11, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey dummy---you must have listened to me since you responded to my comment

2 of those wins were the most fluke s*** ever yet you guys are so proud of them and hold them as high points in recent team history

The only thing that matters to Cowboys fans are Super Bowls

Posted by: Brian | September 11, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that matters to Cowboys fans are Super Bowls

Posted by: Brian | September 11, 2007 03:37 PM

Two long TD passes are a fluke? Blocking a kick is a fluke?

You are clearly are not a master of logical thinking.

Posted by: Brian is Not Very Smart | September 11, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

BTW, for those keeping score at home, both the Skins and Brokeback Nation have five NFL titles. Don't let anyone try to confuse you about this.

Posted by: Brian is Not Very Smart | September 11, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Jason, you did see the Eagles play the other night, right? They're not the Colts. Maybe they'll beat us, I don't know. But you speak as if they're an offensive juggernaut.

Posted by: DC | September 11, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

What the hell do you know about coverages and X's and O's. You are a geek with glasses and a Bo-Sox cap. Shut up and tell us who is hurt, the inactives on gameday. Stick to the stuff you know, not the stuff "experts" have told you to right down so you look smart.

Posted by: Ryan Hunt | September 11, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Mark your calendars
Coming next month: October
The Hunt for Ryan

Posted by: MV Dame | September 11, 2007 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Great points Jasno.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 11, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

put him and his soup eatin mommy back in the cotton field.

Posted by: bill | September 18, 2007 5:04 AM | Report abuse