What To Watch For

Gotta say I'm digging this new version of Loseable Type. It rocks. In fact, right now I'm going to play around with all the new bells and whistles and get a lil crazy. Oh yeah, I've got bold, italic and underscore ... But still no spellchecker. Hoorah. Jasno lives (actually Cindy is holding it down on the editing front, but I'm gonna try to sneak a few typos past her on this post for old time's sake).

Okay, so Game 2 of 5 on the exhibition front awaits. And, like last week, it probably won't be all that pretty on all fronts, but here's a sketch of some things I'll be keeping an eye on Saturday night:

Z-Watch: Let's face it, this is the year of the Z. He's gonna be under the microscope every week. Last week I was most impressed by what a smooth operation it seemed to be overall on the sidelines. The vets who weren't playing were pumped up and cheering for the kids. Zorn didn't seem to dilly-dally or strike a pensive pose on the sidelines. He went for the throat right from the first series, and, for better or worse, I think he's gonna go out there swinging for the fences from a playcalling standpoint. As someone paid to observe all of this, I applaud from a purely aesthetic standpoint after what we witnessed in terms of muted offensive philosophy the last four years. Also, waiting to see how he handles the two-minute drill, running out the clock when need be, throwing that first red flag for a replay. The more challenges that pop up in these dress rehearsals the better to judge/

Todd Collins. I fear for the man's health a bit. That second string O Line is, well, let's just call them green. Collins is not exactly Mr. Mobility, he is clearly slowed more by having to learn a new system - he had all 800 pages of Big Al's playbook memorized it seemed - and was holding the ball a bit long at times Sunday night. I'm sure Coach Z will call a lot of runs, and when Collins does pass they will be short drops and I'm guessing the rookie tackles on this unit will get plenty of help from tight ends and backs ... But he already got knocked around twice last week. Bears monitoring. (In particular, keep an eye on the second-string LT, Chad Rinehart. He's been very impressive thus far).

Kid DBs: Depth is an issue in the secondary, and the trio of Chris Horton, Matteral Richardson and Kareem Moore will be looking to build off their momentum thus far in camp. Moore in particular could be the guy in the spotlight. With LaRon Landry out there is going to be a ton of PT open at free safety. The Skins can see Horton as a strong safety right now, but they are most in search of a back-up FS (vet Vernon Fox would be the fall-back plan there right now) ... Moore is a heck of an athlete and has some of the attributes you want out of a ball-hawking centerfielder.

Frosty: P Derrick Frost has gotta be feeling the heat from rookie punter Durant Brooks, and the draft pick held his own in the opener. Frost is slated to get all of this game and though he's kicked in much more pressure-packed situations from a team standpoint, this is his job on the line now. Durant has a live leg and seems to have no problems getting tons of hang time; Frost has been too much of a line-drive guy in Washington and, while he's gotten lucky more times than not with a good roll, the Skins want to see the ball hang up there longer this year. I think Brooks gets the nod assuming he doesn't totally freak out and start fumbling snaps, but it's one of few real position battles in camp.

It Ain't Easy Bein Suishy: Dude's gotta make a field goal here. Shaun Suisham ended last year with a crucial playoff miss, then shanked another make-able kick last week. Time for him to start finding his happy place.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 8, 2008; 7:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Set to Play Saturday
Next: TCCLs Are Back

Comments

beep beep

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Brilliant reverse firsties/beep beep, Mull It. I give it a 10!

You are clearly peaking at the right time, just as the Olympics open.

Hail to the U.S. Olympians, and South Africa, and the Iraq, everywhere like such as.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 7:59 AM | Report abuse

No injuries tomorrow night. JC to look sharp once again.

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, JM, no one on the carpet clutching a knee, long after the play is over.

ZERO receptions in 2007. ZERO

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Greg, didn't he blow out his knee last year in pre-season?

Posted by: bangkokben | August 8, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

The dude blew out his knee in pre-season last year.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 8, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm missing the opening ceremony. Good observations, Jasno. Is Ladell Betts getting any reps this week?

Posted by: bangkokben | August 8, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

They said that he 'hurt' his knee, and ankle, but practiced every week, so I'm not sure he could have blown out his knee, and still been practicing.

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

ZERO receptions in 2007. ZERO

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 8:15 AM

Zero receptions because he was inactive for every game is what I read. I thought they said he had to have it scoped after an OTA. Evidently he was out of shape after making all the predraft rounds and tweaked his knee. Eerily similar to Kelly?

Posted by: skinswest | August 8, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Todd collins blows

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Todd collins blows

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 8:35 AM

What's Colt's agent doing on here?

Posted by: TC's agent | August 8, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

All I know is Robert Mitchum would have walked it off and played ball.

You can't out-tough Robert Mitchum.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Mighty slow on here this morning.

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Mighty slow on here this morning.

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 9:02 AM

Luckily I'm slow every morning so it just seems normal badump bump.

I'm with you though JM. Love for JC to get a little more confidence looking sharp and no more injuries and I'll be happy.

Posted by: Skinz | August 8, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Resigning Todd Collins was a tremendous mistake. He is a system guy. He is tremendous in Al Saunder's system, but anywhere else and he is a 3rd stringer at best. Collins should have signed with St. Louis.

Posted by: Redskins Jim | August 8, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I think RI Nation is reeling a little bit... we were promised TCCLs! Er, it was strongly hinted that we might see a return of TCCLs.

Jasno was obviously having so much fun formatting his fonts that he forgot to dole out the weekly awards!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins Jim | August 8, 2008 9:11 AM

RJ, What do you think that Zorn sees in him that you don't? Remember, it was Zorn who flew to his home to convince him to stay in Washington. Zorn could have flown to a lot of backup QBs' homes, but he chose this one.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone catch the Saints/Cardinals game last night?? Kind of weird/funny seeing M. Brunnel in a saints uni. Also weird that the announcers talked about how good an arm he had??"

Sure, for an 80-year old man, he has a great arm.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Nate,
Are not TCCLs reserved for the thread right after the game?
Just sayin...

Posted by: stumped | August 8, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 9:20 AM

You make a good point. I think Zorn sees Collins as a very intelligent veteran who can learn quickly. Collins seems to be struggling mightily with the new system. Of course that could be due to the fact he is playing behind the 2nd string O-line. I would like to see how Collins looks behind the first stringers before the preseason ends.

Posted by: Redskins Jim | August 8, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Calm down over there Nate. Give JLC at least the openning week to bring back the TCCL.

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Jasno,
Nice Post.

I hope sometime before the regular season starts, we'll get a summation. Where are the strengths? Where are the weaknesses on this team? How you see them stacking up against the tough Division rivals?

Feel free to quote anonymous sources, the hamsters up here collectively flip off... what's his name...the dirt bag, the media shill.

Posted by: stumped | August 8, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 9:20 AM

I think was more Snyder seeing Collins lead the team to the playoffs last year, not thinking about Saunders being gone and the impact that would have on Todd's game. I don't think Zorn had the power at the time to decide what kind of free agent backup QB he wanted to go after.

Posted by: the wnba | August 8, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Hold up, dudes, don't shoot the messenger... I thought Cyn said something along the lines of "there will be TCCLs" yesterday up here...

Look, this is a hell of a post from Jasno. Don't get me wrong. But I was also looking forward to some TCCLs. Who knows, Friday's not over yet.

And you know Jasno needs some practice leaping off the couch à la Tom Cruise; it's been a long time. He better knock the rust off before the regular season, is all I'm saying.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Okay, why does the comments button now bear the double name "Comments Comments"

Shouldn't that be "Comments shcomments"?

Posted by: farstriker | August 8, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

So is it possible that all three baby DBs make the team?

Horton sure looked good. So did Richardson and Moore has gotten a lot of kuddos too.

So then, our only complaint on D would be depth for the Linebacking corps.

The offense looks better this year. Certainly if we minimize the injuries on the OL this year and can field four healthy pass catchers for each game (no small chore its seems), we should be able to put up some points.

Posted by: stumped | August 8, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, man, we need TCCLs...maybe tomorrow!"
Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 4:55 PM

"It is entirely possible that TCCLs will return tomorrow."
Posted by: Cindy | August 7, 2008 4:57 PM

I'm not hatin', just sayin'...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I feel good about having a competent backup in Todd Collins.

I don't give a rip what he "looks like" in practice or preseason, he came through for this team late last year in a big way - during the regular season, where the Ws and Ls actually count, and I believe he's capable of doing it again if needed (hopefully it won't be needed).

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 8, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

OK you was right Nate. We all are sorry. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

GET A NEW KICKER...PERIOD.

Posted by: Leevi | August 8, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I remain steadfast that if we see Todd or Colt on the field this year for anything but postgame handshakes, something will have gone terribly wrong.

In Soup I trust.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I agree Nate. If Collins comes in the season is going downhill. I will be just looking towards Dirty Thirty laying the wood.

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: the wnba | August 8, 2008 9:46 AM

I don't think I can get behind this. First off, Zorn flew up there, not Snyder. If he didn't want Collins, you can be sure he could have arranged not to get Collins. "Sure, we really want you Todd, although I really wonder whether you can learn my new offense...."

Second off, when Dan and Vin interviewed Zorn for HC, the subject of Collins would have come up. Zorn was already the O Coordinator so had looked at buckets of film. If the three of them hadn't been on the same page re: Collins it could have been a deal breaker for HC.

Third off, Dan and Vin would have welcomed a lower-price second string QB if Zorn had suggested one. The guys were in money-saving mode this year.

And, the Skins weren't the only ones pursuing Collins. He had interest from other teams, including some that would have let him compete at starter.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The second-team o-line shouldn't be considered green...most of them ended up being starters last year, for heaven's sake! And they did OK.

Posted by: Miguel | August 8, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me why Suisham is still here? i mean atleast Frost is serviceable... why not draft someone that can make a chip shot? I mean come on, he's canadian.

Posted by: Joshq | August 8, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me why Suisham is still here?

Posted by: Joshq | August 8, 2008 10:15 AM

Because he's a promising young kicker and the Redskins have given up early on guys who have gone on to have good NFL careers. You don't give up on a guy after one miss.

But, after the second or third, they may bring in some competition. My scenario is that Frost kicks himself out of the competition with Brooks, they cut Frost and bring in a PK to challenge Suisham. With the 80 man roster, you can't have too many kickers hanging around.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Isn't John Carney still unsigned? Bring that guy in for at least some competition. I have no confidence in Suisham whatsoever for anything outside of 30 yards.....he's gotta be, what, 50% at best from 40 plus? Maybe even from 35 plus....anyone know?

Posted by: dlhaze | August 8, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | August 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskins Jim | August 8, 2008 9:34 AM

Good morning everyone.

Skin Jim, I advise you to be careful and clearly state what you think of Collins. Some may think you have some sort of man crush on Collins or he may be your guy...

I hear you though, I think it's nothing wrong with giving guys who are second, third, or won't even make the team, a chance to start in the PRESEASON.

To me that should be the sole prupose of the preseason: To evaluate the talent of the rookies, guys who aren't #1's, and even those that appear to have a snowballs chance in hades of making the teams. Which teams do for the most part anyway, but I say what the hell. Go ahead and start those guys.

What do the actual starters need to play for anyway? If it is a absoloute must that guys like JC and Portis play, I say put em' out there for 3-5 plays at the most.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 8, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Miguel | August 8, 2008 10:14 AM

Miguel, Maybe you missed it, but this is what Jason wrote about the second string O Line:

"The Redskins had just one player with true NFL experience on the second-team line - right guard Jason Fabini. Rookie Chad Rinehart is playing left tackle, first-year Tavares Washington is at left guard, second-year Justin Geisinger is at center and un-drafted rookie Devin Clark is at right tackle. Rinehart, Washington, Geisinger and Clark do not have a game of regular-season experience."

This is why Collins is going to get mauled if he doesn't get the ball away quickly.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Honestly, i'd rather see Suisham from 35 to 50 yards than under 35. The guy is bad, I was watching him warm up at the HOF game and he missed two from 25ish, one didnt even hit the darn net. Plus the one he missed in the game.I think he was like 29-35 last year, but the kick in the seattle game really stands out in my mind, I'm sure im bias and i am no where near qualified to evaluate place kickers.... I am just a what have you done for me lately guy!

Posted by: Joshq | August 8, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Just got to see the game on my 'old man's tivo' aka VCR. Still cannot figure out how to program it correctly, so didn't get to see Soup at all.
However, Mr. 48 Chris Horton was on the ball a lot. I couldn't figure out who he was because his hair was in the way, but then when he started getting sacks, his name came up. I like that kid. I hope he sticks around.

Watching Colt throw touchdowns is like eating candy. Then again, watching Redskins WRs catch touchdowns is like waking up out of a long nightmare.

Posted by: mnskinsfan | August 8, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The Truth laughed at this : "Did anyone see Brunnel run his signiture play last night, roll to the left keep rolling until you get right to the sidelines then throw it out of bounds. It was great!!"

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I am available!

Posted by: Mike Vanderjagt | August 8, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Done deal!!! i got a bag of a chips and a Gift certificate to TGI Friday's.

Posted by: Joshq | August 8, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

What do the actual starters need to play for anyway?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 8, 2008 10:28 AM

Because they're running a new offense and need to get the timing down against real opponents before they open against the Giants. Also because they need to get into condition to play in real games where the hitting is more spirited than in practices against their teammates. At least, that's how I've always heard it.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm anxious to see what Kareem Moore looks like out there tomorrow night.

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

You can't out-tough Robert Mitchum.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 8:53 AM

Absolute MUST netflix is "Out of the Past" ... also includes a very young (and excellently evil) Kurt Douglas. Bring glaucoma medicine.

I agree with the concern about Suisham. I'm hoping the whole deal against the Colts was due to the new kid holding for him. Solution: Get Allbright and Durant snapping and holding every day till from now till the end of camp. Muscle memory for the hold. [Also, Mrs. Suisham is the hottest player wife.]

I was liking Sinclair against the Colts. Hopefully, he (or Richardson) turn out to be this seasons' Stephon Heyer ... undrafted and stepping up to the challenge of a diminished starter down.

I would love if Horton (one of the one-two punch of DeWayne Robertson's defense) becomes the Skins' Devin Hester ... and restores faith in the value of a 7th round pick.

Secretly hoping that Frost does with this game's pressure what he has done with real game pressure ... accidentally choke once and then not let go of it/shake it off ... expose himself as the guy who sent the Skins to the draft for a consistent punter. Frost's only edge over Durant is his (Frost's) special teams tackling. He (Frost) never whiffs when he goes for the tackle. Still, we need a consistent punter ... we got 10 other special teams guys there to make tackles.

Interesting (probably only to me) roster note about the Bears ... not only did they absorb the Skins' plash garbage (Archuleta and Blloyd), the also became the roster home of Ade Jimoh. We play the Bears this season, right? [Or is it the Lions?]

Posted by: dcsween | August 8, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 10:38 AM

Okay, then I stand by my 3-5 plays theory. Anything else and you're taking unnecessary risk and depriving time to the personnel who really need it.

One more thing, you don't need preseaon to get timing down, that's what practice is for. And conditioning and everyhting else you mentioned doesn't come in preseason alone. Some guys it takes a couple of weeks to get into "game shape". (See: 2-6) Others? Not so long. (See: Majority of the roster)

At least, that's how I see it.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 8, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

My ticket for the Skins vs Saints game just arrived at my office and Dirty Thirty is the player posted on the tickets.

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm taller than Santana Moss AND ARE!

Can I get another contract please? I'm serious this time, I'll be good!

Okay, not good really, but you are counting on Anthony Mix and James Thrash? Thrash!?!

Posted by: Brandon Lloyd | August 8, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

My dog in the secondary fight is L. Torrence. I think that dude is gonna ball for us and got valuable game experience last season. I like my younger players with a pinch of seasoning.

He stopped a TE (or RB...) cold on a third down pass last week that really showed me something.

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to remind everyone that NFL Network is broadcasting Bills at 'Skins LIVE tomorrow at 7pm EDT. I believe they pick up the home team's broadcast in one half and the visiting team's broadcast in the other half.

It looks like an early start to the Saturday night boozing...

Posted by: P Diddy | August 8, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The Truth asks jm how much he paid for the tickets?

The Truth will be going to Philly @ Washington this year!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

The Truth says that beside Brandon Jacobs, how many running backs can be confused for tight ends? The Truth just shakes his head at Chris LArrY.

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Are there any kickers out there? I don't like putting faith in a CowPatty.

Can we trade a RB for one?

Posted by: Dik | August 8, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

List of top 10 Redskins:

1)Anthony Mix
2)Anthony Mix
3)Anthony Mix
4)Anthony Mix
5)Anthony Mix
6)Anthony Mix
7)Anthony Mix
8)Anthony Mix
9)Anthony Mix
10)Anthony Mix

Posted by: LHRis cARry | August 8, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

This just sent shivers down my spine. He cant even cover the 5th or 6th receiver on a team. And perfect proof for that was the HOF game. The hit one slant for about 25 yards and then ran the exact same play on him. I would rather have Rumph... HA HA HA!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I've never heard another football player be such an outspoken sissy.

Posted by: p1funk | August 7, 2008 5:05 PM

Watch how quick you'll hop on his NADS when he gives you 1350 rushing, 350 receiving, and 12 TD's. He's just saying what every other star RB wants to say.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 7, 2008 5:18 PM

Ok,first I EXPECT him to put up those numbers given how much money this franchise has thrown at him.

Second, If you or CP think for a moment that he's got the same pass that someone like LT does, then put down the pipe. Let's see CP lead the league in rushing or break some TD records or show up big in a playoff game before we line him up with the LT's of the league.

Finally, I don't know about you, but it always sounds sissy to me when these grown-up athletes complain about having to do their JOBS - which is to play a game for millions of dollars.

Posted by: p1funk | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

weak Truth, MAD WEAK....Um....Mike Sellers for one...

Also so I didn't memorize The Colts 80 man roster.

F Georgia!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Since when is Mike Sellers a RB?

Posted by: Joshq | August 8, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Chris Larry haters out today! What SJK heel I am for liking some of our younger players and hoping they succeed.

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The Truth says Joshq beat The Truth to it. The Truth says Sellers is a TE/FB, not a RB that can be confused for a TE.

The Truth slyly asks ChRIS LARRy who is weak now, nerd!

The Truth also says he will personally attack the next person that insults CP.

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 10:35 AM

The sad thing is that is exactly the kind of play that Joe Gibbs would have praised in his "anything-but-a-turnover-is-a-great-play" mentality.

Posted by: p1funk | August 8, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

chris larry micheal

Posted by: coincidence? | August 8, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Boss is treating me to lunch at Five Guys, and the Skins play tomorrow night, I'm in heaven! What a start to the weekend.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 8, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

The Truth posts the following quote :

"Fantasy football has reached the collegiate level, and it appears there is little or nothing the NCAA can do about it.

"We are concerned and not pleased at the direction it has taken," NCAA president Myles Brand said Thursday.

A CBSsports.com college football fantasy league — and the court ruling that made it possible — is forcing the NCAA to rewrite its bylaws forbidding the use of players' names for commercial purposes, Brand said.

The NCAA has a history of acting aggressively to prevent its athletes or outside entities from cashing in on use of an athlete's name or likeness. Even the EA Sports video games, licensed by the schools, were not allowed to use individual players' likenesses and names.

But the rules are changing after the U.S. Supreme Court this summer let stand a lower court ruling that players' names and statistics are public knowledge and free to be used by fantasy leagues. The court case involved Major League Baseball, but it had implications for the NCAA."

The Truth says this could mean next year's NCAA Football game comes out with the rosters pre-loaded! The Truth jumps for joy!

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

sween, NFC North opponent this season is the Lions, in Detroit. We wouldn't meet the Bears until the playoffs.

Ahem.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Happy 8:08am on 8/8/2008 (from the left coast)!!!

Posted by: P Diddy | August 8, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Last time I checked FBs were RBs. From official redskins roster:

45 Sellers, Mike FB 6-3 284

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

The Truth responds to this embarrassing ChriS LARrY post :

"Last time I checked FBs were RBs. From official redskins roster:

45 Sellers, Mike FB 6-3 284"

The Truth says "Thanks for agreeing with me, numbskull!"

The Truth highfives all his cool friends as they laugh at chriS laRry.

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Also, Mull It & Miguel from up above, Jasno was talking about the second-string O line we'll be trotting out tomorrow night, not the second-string O line on the depth chart. Some of our 'real' second stringers, who do have game experience in the NFL, are out with boo-boos.

And I think Colt and Todd should both stay alert, since didn't we hear yesterday that Colt will get reps with the second team tomorrow?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

FB = FB

RB = RB

FB /=/ RB

Posted by: FB | August 8, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Seems as the ambiguity on are FBs RBs is pretty muddled:

"A running back (RB) is the position of a player on an American or Canadian football team who usually lines up in the offensive backfield. The primary roles of a running back are to receive handoffs from the quarterback for a rushing play, to catch passes from out of the backfield, and to block.

There are usually one or two running backs on the field for a given play, depending on the offensive formation. A running back may be a halfback (HB for short, in certain conexts also referred to as a tailback) or a fullback (FB). While a fullback is technically a running back, in modern parlance the terms "running back" and "RB" are frequently used to refer only to halfbacks/tailbacks."

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 8, 2008 10:57 AM

Some funky numbers for you:

Portis: 84 games, 1710 carries, 7715 yds, 91.8 yds./g, 4.5 avg, 63 TD's

Tomlinson: 111 games, 2365 carries, 10, 650 yds, 95.9 yds./g, 4.5 avg, 115 TD's

Considering the amount of games and carries LT has over Portis, I'd say their overall averages puts them on par with each other. You can't fall into that national media jobbing that they give Tomlinson. Is he a better overall back than Portis? Yes. Are they so much different, or is Tomlinson leaps and bounds better than Portis, NO!

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

RB = RB

FB = FB

FB /=/ RB

Posted by: FB = FB | August 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 8, 2008 11:07 AM

You might be in heaven Saturday night if you've lived a good life, of course. Lunch at Five Guys could cut 35-40 years off your life depending on how many patties. Is this the boss's idea of how to reduce staff?

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

man, CL, I am usually right there wit ya, but F Georgia????

That is cold and completely uncalled for.

Makes me wish for a return of the psycho CL stalker.

Posted by: CBT | August 8, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of the whinning about playing in the preseason, Tom Brady plays in every preseason game and he is more inmportant to his team then any player in the league. So shut up CP and play you are no LT and never will be. You need to get timing down in a game, not just in practice the speed of a game is greater to what the see in practice.

Posted by: kmdp4 | August 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

CBT I meant Univ of GA...just tweaking Truth, honestly I could care less...

Go Auburn!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

KM, nice!!

Good times eating on the boss's dime.

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The Truth asks ChrIS LarrY if he was referring to what 99.9% of people refer to as a running back or if ChriS laRRy was for some reason referring to a fullback as a running back when he made his statement that started this worthless debate?

The Truth is pretty sure larRy ChRIS was talking about a regular running back and not a FB/TE combo.

Also, The Truth notes that Mike Sellers is listed as a TE as well, so he isn't a running back you confuse for a tight end, he is a TE that also plays fullback (running back to make you feel better), genius.

The Truth stands proudly.

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The Truth highfives all his cool friends

Translation: The truth gives a high five to his blow up doll.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Where is RC? Is the draft tonight or next week?

Posted by: jm220 | August 8, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

The Truth wonders aloud how bad The Bobcats will beat the Cavaliers in their NBA opener?

The Truth also says it feels like the NBA season just ended and it will be starting again in about 2 1/2 months. The Truth stares into the distance in deep thought.

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Well this is a dumb arguemnt. FB are RB. In more modern offenses "RB" has more come to mean what they you to call tail backs/half backs. But all players who like up in the Offesive backfield that aint the QB are "RB"

Famous "RBS" who happened to be "FBS"

Many of the great runners of the history of American football have been fullbacks, notably Jim Brown, Mike Alstott, Dan Hammaker and Larry Csonka.

Someone want to tell Jim Brown he wasn't a running back...I don't!

But whateves. Tried to stick to football today, expressed some excitement about young players and plays and got called out on it. What a jerk I am!

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Quiet morning... so I'd like to take a moment here to resurrect my campaign to make everyone aware of how silly the Buffalo Bills' logo is.

The team is named for a guy who was so gifted at slaughtering buffalo that they called him "Buffalo Bill." So it seems to me their helmets should have a picture of a the man himself, or maybe a slaughtered buffalo if they're adamant about retaining the animal image:

But nooooo, they've got a big healthy happy buffalo scampering across their helmet. The dopes.

(Though now that I look at the logo, maybe that big red stripe is blood pouring from a massive head wound... hmm... subtle, but on point...)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm anxious to see what Kareem Moore looks like out there tomorrow night.

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 10:39 AM

He'll probably look something like this:

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:26 AM

I'm thinking that your strong suit was, is, and always will be hyperbolic bombast. You're the man!

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

...and then of course there's this Buffalo Bill, but using his image would probably be too messy given all the licensing rigmarole involved...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The Truth responds to JM and says the draft will most likely be on the 30th because people are inconsiderate and wouldn't oblige a friendly request to make it more fair. The Truth says that the other drafters must be nervous about The Truth's drafting skills or something.

The Truth kindly asked not to draft on the 30th because COLLEGE FOOTBALL STARTS ON THE 30TH and The Truth will not sit and draft for 2-3 hours on ANY football day.

The Truth kindly asks that you look deep down in your soul and think how it would feel if someone wanted to draft on NFL opening day!?!

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

+++Anyone catch the story about Robert Meachem?? Saints WR, who was the #17 overall pick in the first round last year.
ZERO receptions in 2007. ZERO

Posted by: Greg | August 8, 2008 8:15 AM

Zero receptions because he was inactive for every game...
Posted by: skinswest | August 8, 2008 8:32 AM+++

Uh-huh, The announcers at his game mentioned THIS YEAR, he'd get up early,d rive a half hour and work out with in shape vet Patton, in a desire to NOT be considered a bust. From his mouth to Kelly & Thomas's ears.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 8, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

The Truth will even concede ChRIS LARRY's stupid point about FB's being RB's, but The Truth asks CHRIS LARRy if Mike Sellers is really a running back that can be confused for a tight end when Mike Sellers is a TE/FB!!

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

jm, Redcoat hasn't set the fantasy draft date yet for that league. I think he's giving folks some time to vote in the poll. The earliest date is the 22nd, two weeks from today.

And looky loo, leading in the poll right now is Saturday, August 30. Huh. How about that.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Your right Truth, I am idiot sorry I couldn't remember who the player was L. Torrence tackled to prevent a 1st down in a preseason game....I put TE (RB..) b/c I could only remember he was bigger than a WR and wasnt a Colts starter I already knew....

But just for SJKs and giggles on the current Redskins official Roster it reads:

45 Sellers, Mike FB 6-3 284

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

The Truth highfives all his cool friends as they laugh at chriS laRry.
Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:12 AM

The Truth doesn't have any cool friends. In fact, The Truth doesn't have any friends at all. The closest thing The Truth has to a friend is his own right hand.

Posted by: Nothing_but_Net | August 8, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

TE I have to say you are much more positive as Mull It.

Been on the boat much?

Posted by: Skinz | August 8, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Nate,

Thanks for bringing this up. Now to add to the confusion, the City of Buffalo has nothing to do with the animal who's picture is on the players' hats:

"The name 'Buffalo' may be derived from the French phrase beau fleuve, 'beautiful river,' a description of Buffalo Creek and the Niagara River; the matter is uncertain, but it is clear that there were no bison in the area."

So, yeah, what is a Buffalo Bill unless it's the bar tab that you get for wings and suds? Or the property tax you have to pay?

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Is Mull it really TE?

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

OTHER PLAYERS OTHER TEAMS

Semi-impressed with DE Calais Campbell. He seemed to have some quicks, some mobility, but as his pre-draft tryout showed, he is in serious need of ading upper body strength. Too often blockers got to his body and drove him, But I like his potential. Make hima workout warrior, and he could be a beast.

Clowney? With the Jets? Who knew? Like to pair him up with D'Cody Fagg, making them the feared tandem of Clowney and Fagg.

Cedric Ellis? Needs work.

Forte: Think this kid will be a keeper.

Rodgers-Cromartie: Laid the wood to a guy on one play, but at 6'2" 180, I'd worry about him lasting a season.

Regarding Brunell. YUP, saw the pattented roll out and fling to the bench. Also saw a bullet down the middle that was almost Favre-worthy. If his arm holds up, he could be good. But his arm never holds up.

Also saw Receiver, The catch a pass. If I was a defensive coach, i'd haev cut the guy covering hin obn the spot!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"The Truth stands proudly."

Yes, yes, you certainly do, Truth! There is an air of overweening pride in every single thing you write up here. It's one of your, ah, endearing traits. It's a primary reason why even when you're right about something (like your completely reasonable request not to hold the draft on the 30th) I find it really, really hard to agree with you. But whatevs...

Have you pinged me about joining the second league yet?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | August 8, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Buffalo Bengals?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Ooops. CORKCZAR posted OTHER PLAYERS OTHER TEAMS at 11:40, so expect a Beep-beep soon.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 8, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The Truth will do it today Mr. Nate.

The Truth figures he might as well grace the second string Fantasy Football team with a first stringer's presence!

The Truth boasts loudly.

Posted by: The Truth | August 8, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Skinz,

Problem with "t-e" was brand confusion -- people never knew what to look for in the brand, and the brand was not well received. I've moved to a niche-targeting strategy of posting.

"Mull It" is meant to be more consistently positive, the happy face side of my personality. I have another brand which I reserve for my "doesn't suffer fools gladly" posts. And another brand for my go-along-to-get along posts. Another for hyperbolic bombast. Etc.

Don't know what I'll do if registration comes back because I can't handle all that signing in and out. Probably go to sea on the boat and never return.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

The Lies boasts that he is much more fun, laid back and mature than this tiresome truth. The Lies values creativity, humor and a general sense that its better to lie to keep a friend than tell everyone the truth and be alone.

We all do it, its fun, its helps us all get along! Leave the wind bag self aggrandizing statements to The Truth. Who is usually wrong anyway, its all relative...

Posted by: The Lies | August 8, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Ha ha ha ha ha!

The Truth is a windbag of hot air.

Posted by: A. Nona Mouse | August 8, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Is Mull it really TE?

Posted by: chris LARRY | August 8, 2008 11:40 AM

Um, think of me as a subsidiary of TE. At least, that's how I think of myself.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Lies | August 8, 2008 11:49 AM

I endorse this statement, and add that lying can also be profitable.

Posted by: Larry Michaels | August 8, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Tanya James should be seen by all. Very enthusiastic and not afraid to get her knees dirty. She loves her trait, and it shows. Shes got skills that would make a mans legs quiver. Do yourself a favor and check her out as she plays the meat flute

Posted by: Bangbros | August 8, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Um, think of me as a subsidiary of TE. At least, that's how I think of myself.

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 11:51 AM

if a low-life, classless bastard changes his name, guess what? he's still a low-life classless bastard... maybe you found religion or the in's and out's of the universe. congrats to you... looks like lack of class isn't the only thing that you're suffering from. you can add multiple personality disorder to that laundry list of yours.

CL^2B = (t)(e) + (Mull)*It

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

bold italics

• List item 1
  • List item 2

1. List item 1
  2. List item 2
  3. List item 3
  4. List item 4

Seems the same to me?

Posted by: Toady | August 8, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 8, 2008 12:05 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Always good to learn from a first-hand testimonial.

Posted by: d-bag | August 8, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a frequent poster from Scranton, PA?

According to forbes, your city is dying...

Posted by: Falling skies & raining hail, fire, and brimstone | August 8, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

the racism on this board has gone far enough!

Posted by: Getta | August 8, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I endorse this statement, and add that lying can also be profitable.

Posted by: Larry Michaels | August 8, 2008 11:58 AM

F Larry Michael.

Posted by: F. Herzog | August 8, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

what do you get when a "d-bag" rips an anon?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 8, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

what do you get when a "d-bag" rips an anon?

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 8, 2008 12:14 PM

A post that is not worth reading?

Posted by: Mull It | August 8, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I thought you were just doing it to honor billy joe cyrus.

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

beep! beep!

Posted by: NCICURN | August 8, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a frequent poster from Scranton, PA?

According to forbes, your city is dying...

Yeah, but Dunder Mifflin will always be here!

Posted by: Michael Scott | August 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

or tccl tccl!

Posted by: beep beep | August 8, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

poop

Posted by: | August 8, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Outsider,

Tell me something I don't know.

Posted by: herb | August 8, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I endorse this statement, and add that lying can also be profitable.

Posted by: Larry Michaels | August 8, 2008 11:58 AM

F Larry Michael.

Posted by: Sonny J. | August 8, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Mull It, but the true 2nd team O-Line has Wade, Fabini, and Heyer. That's what I was alluding to.

Posted by: Miguel | August 8, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

So Jason, since you still don't have spell check... Ever thought of just typing your blogs up in Word, running spell check, than cutting and pasting into your new system?

Posted by: Captain Obvious | August 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse