Zorn's Still Up for a Challenge

What's it like to be Jim Zorn? Oh, sure, the coach of the Washington Redskins doesn't duck questions and has been refreshingly open and accessible. But coaching a team that has gone 1-5 after a 6-2 start is pretty trying and sets off the usual musings about job security. Zorn and his wife, Joy, talked to Barry Svrluga about their life in Washington and the itinerant nature of coaching in a story that is on our website now and will appear in Sunday's editions of The Post.

The Zorns went to bed [Sunday] night fully aware of what the coming week might bring, the scrutiny their father or husband would be under. Yet these did not have to be morbid times. "It's not like we have to dress in black or walk on eggshells around him," Joy Zorn said. But they take losses hard, and maybe harder now, because their man is, for the first time, the head coach. He is responsible for the record. He is responsible for making the playoffs. He will be dismissed or retained.
"This is a bigger deal," Joy Zorn said. When the Redskins had lost in previous weeks, as the season began to slip away, she had wondered how her husband would respond. Each time, Jim Zorn bounded from bed around 5 a.m. Monday and headed to the office, eager to decipher the problems.
This time, she figured, might have been different. But when he awoke in darkness and prepared to rise, Jim Zorn looked at his wife and said, "Consider it all joy."

The matter of Zorn's job security was discussed by Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser on "Talking Points" earlier this week, too.

By Cindy Boren  |  December 19, 2008; 1:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis Suffering Back Spasms
Next: Washington Eager to Play Sunday

Comments

91,000 TCCLs: Tickets

awesome writeup jasno!!! you hit the nail on the head. it's insane anyone from this team is going on tv and telling fans not to sell their tickets. insane!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

F Vinny!!!!!!!! and the chooch!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Roddy White had 29 receptions for ~450 yards his rookie year.

Michael Jenkins had 7 receptions for ~110 yards his rookie year.

Which one does it seem like Devin Thomas is more inclined to follow?

Posted by: psps23 | December 19, 2008 1:02 PM

It dosen't matter.

2-3 years of actual time will determine that.

LH - Mine and all of our expectations raised to a level it shouldn't have.

Eddie Royal and DeSean JAckson went to teams who have had their offense in place for 10+ years.

We are on a whole new offense again that was nothing like we ever had. Devin Thomas had all the athleticisim, but not the skills to be a NFL WR. He has to develop that over time.

MK12 had a bad year due to injuries, IMHO. I hope he can start next year off healthy and stay that way......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Sween, you owe Norman Einstein an apology, he was valedictorian of his class.

And the bodybag game reference ... what a nightmare that game was (but we stomped 'em in the playoffs, Monk caught a TD in buddy ryan's last game as p[hilly HC)

There's some old school going on up here

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

zorny wakes up at 5 at home?????????? what a lazy bumm!!!!!! what time does he go home at 11 pm???? this dude seriously needs to switch jobs.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"Could this mean that we have to move again?" Isaac eventually asked his mother.

Littly Zorny is losing sleep as a result of the Redskins sorry play. Shame!

Posted by: Masonman | December 19, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Could there be a better name for Jim Zorn's wife than "Joy"? That's about as perfect a match as I can imagine, given his personality.

Posted by: psps23 | December 19, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

btw...rember my talk about seriously INTERVIEWING a minority coach or CONSIDERING a minority coach. well the F'er was on his radio show today advocating, lecturing on how bad the colleges are for not considering minorities for HC jobs.

ARE YOU F'ing KIDDING ME VINNY???????!!!!

you rather hire a f'ing old chewed up gum that's been there 30 friggin years from the bottom of the NFL shoe instead of giving ANY consideration to ANY minority candidates. F you! i wish you no ill will vinny. but i really hope that danny fires you so i can start to follow my team again. and if he doesn't fire you i truely hope there is no friggin waitlist anymore for the tickets, SOOOOOOOOOON!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Who do you think likes to hear them self talk more, Tony or Mike?

Posted by: Gweez | December 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

sween, i discovered long long time ago that the exclamations speak louder than the caps lock key.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

skinz, mike.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

deal, maybe take a break from the blog for a bit, or take a walk or something...life's too short to get that worked up over something that ultimately none of us has any control over....just a suggestion...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

nice jibba jabba reference Cindy....love the enbedded shout out.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

My thing is, how can you feel sorry for the coach. If they weren't prepared to be a HC on the East Coast with an NFC East Team where Redskins are king, he shouldn't have came or he should just quit.

He won't quit. And even if he's fired he'll still be owed 2 more years of salary at around #3 M per season.....

How can you feel sorry about that? Daddy will find a job somewhere else making a lot of money......

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

No sympathy here 4th.......

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

ARE YOU F'ing KIDDING ME VINNY???????!!!!

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? who do you want us to get?

Posted by: mopp04 | December 19, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel sorry for anyone who makes over a Million dollars.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

thanks for caring greg :). i'm not mad. i'm just saying hateful words cuz i hate vinny and what he's done to our beloved team. and i can't believe he would go on his radio show and advocate minority hiring. WTF man!!! WTF!!! talk about hypocracy. F VINNY!

i was going to post something for you yesterday i don't know what it was...ohh yeah...i loved the presents topic. very very cool. that reminds me....i have gotten nothing so far...hmmmmmmmmmmm...any last minute ideas for the wifey?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:38 PM |

Jewelry always works for me.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Deal - You don't think Meeks was a serious canidate?

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

A TAKE ON ZORN'S JOB SECURITY:

Here is a scenario - Let's say that at the start of the season, the Skins lost the away games at Dallas and at Philly. The early win streak never occured, and the team is going into this week with 5 wins having spent the year trying to patch together a few decent games.

Had this taken place, I fully believe that we would NOT be talking about Zorn's job security. I believe we would feel disappointed, but be taking it in stride and chalk it up to having a rookie head coach, a new offensive system, leftover players, transition time, etc. etc. What could we really expect? We are what all the pundits (and many of us on this blog) thought we would be given the circumstances - last in the NFC East barely scraping together 6 wins.

Because Zorn was actually successful and actually won more games than we expected; we are now disappointed to the level of talking about firing the man.

Bottom line: Had Zorn been LESS successful early on this season, I believe we would be MORE inclined to keep on as HC...and that is pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: p1funk | December 19, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

4th, i think that's exactly what's going on. zorny WANTS to get fired. he really does. everything he's done or not done in the past weeks is leading me to believe that he wants to get fired. NO one, NOBODY will pay him more than the average QB salary to this guy in the future. nobody. there was a reason

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

deal, lingerie work ALL THE TIME...don't miss this opportunity...100 percent of the time it works 60 percent of the time.

Flound, jewelery is what you "resort" to when you're against the wall, if deal starts buying his wife shiny stuff now, she'll start to expect that every year.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Dealer, I feel your pain.

It is frustrating to defend the Redskins against the multitude of fans from other teams for decades upon decades only to watch them go from being a surprising contending 6-2 team to one that is outplayed by the worst statistical offense in the league.

I live in Oxnard, CA, the home of the training camp for the Cowboys, pretty close to enemy territory. It was fun a few months ago, but now I have actual Raiders fans clowning on me for liking the Redskins. Raiders fans!

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | December 19, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

BTW - I'm usually eager to rip JLa for bringing up Larry Michael, but if Larry really said what JLa says he said about fans/tix/profits, then I am all for a "rip Larry" blog.

I wonder if Larry Michael ever walks into Dan Snyder's office and chides him for "caring too much about making a profit"...doubt it...

Posted by: p1funk | December 19, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

4th, vinny hired zorny!!! think about it. how could he have been a serious candidate? are you telling me meeks wasn't as qualified as zorny?

flounder, thanks but can't afford jewelry i'm talking about gifts under $50. sorry. she likes to workout.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The original Deep Throat dead @ 95.

Long Life. (I know Woodward is prob mad because today was supposed to be the day he revealed his 30+ year secret)

Posted by: DaReal4th | December 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I agree Dealer.

Who knows, I do agree with the idea that you don't hire Zorn unless you really have a plan to fix things and someone else to hire already in place.

The way I would fix things is to get Danny retroactively involved in that Ponzi scheme so he is forced to sell the franchise.

Posted by: Gweez | December 19, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Check out Zorn with the scriptural reference. Is Zorn the new Joe?

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you are involved in various trials, 3because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. 4But you must let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing.

1 James 1:2-4

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 19, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 1:44 PM |

Greg,

You are brave if I baught my wife Lingerie for Christmas she would kick my a$$, that is for Valentines day or maybe her Birthday.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 19, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ChRisLarRy. Next up: shabingus!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 19, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

greg, you're on to something there. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but i've never done that sorta thing before. what's a good place? victoria's? or is there a better place? also what's a good place to buy women's workout clothes or accessories?

thanks oxnardfan! you guys are cool people up there. the reason raiders fans are talking trash (to me also) is because their owner is closer to dying than ours.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

flound....SHHHHHH....same here, if I came home with that stuff, I'd end up having to buy diamonds the next day to make up for it..but don't tell that to you know who.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

LH: Zorn is a WC style "surfers 4 Christ" style jesus freak.

Beantown: Naughty Nighties for xmass...I would hear this "That gift is for you, not me!"

Gweez: I sacrifed many goats to Odin in hopes that Snyder lost all his money to Madof.....

Cindy: your welcome!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

dealer, if you want to make an impression give her some La Perla. [Editor's note: $50 will not get it done.]

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 19, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Someone asked Snyder why he wont fire Vinny and his responsed was

Snyder: He went to " JAREDS"

Posted by: GreatOne1 | December 19, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Whose dressing room (if it is a dressing room) is that?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 19, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

greg, not cool!! bastard! trying to get me in trouble. i'm hardly getting any as it is. lol...i'm surprised you didn't spell it "don't tell d-e-a-l-e-r..."

i don't know if you guys seen the jc penny add(?)...about being in the dog house cuz of the presents guys got their wives. pretty funny vid. i'll try to find the link and post...

i don't know what i'm going to do...i'm drawing a blank. a massage perhaps? but that's like $150...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

deals- Same boat as you...wifey and I put a $50 limit on for each other. My old creative mind has been taken over by the Wiggles and Mickey Mouse...I've got no idea what to get her.

Also agreed that a visit to Thongs-R-Us is for Valentine's Day.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 19, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

found it...

JC Penney Doghouse ad

really funny...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

As Keith Richards says, "I gave you diamonds, you gave me disease."*

*Exile On Main Street might be the best double LP ever.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 19, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I try not to get involved in these personal gift debates, but it seems to me the best gift for the lady in your life is to buy Sex Panther cologne for yourself.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 19, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

"Good video... but what's the deal with the pic of Jason Alexander & Malcolm-Jamal Warner?"

B/C those two actors played Tony/Mike in the short lived CBS sitcom based on Tony's Style section Saturday columns.

Even as a Tonk K fan, the show was horrible.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Danny boy won't be firing Vinny boy any time soon. This article pretty much explains why.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 19, 2008 1:10 PM
=============================================
Thanks for that link. It all makes cents, now.

P.S. I've got to agree (with the poster whose name I just forgot), Danny Boy is too fine a song to ruin by applying the nick to Snyder.

Frankly, I think our best hope is that a new administration brings in serious SEC enforcement...the kind that we've been needing these last 8 years.

AND THEY NAIL SNYDER'S SJK TO THE WALL!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | December 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"As Keith Richards says, "I gave you diamonds, you gave me disease."*

*Exile On Main Street might be the best double LP ever."

Mr. Skin and I finding common ground. I might have a few others to nit pick...but why quibble.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

deal, lol, sorry, although I will say that I'm impressed you were able to catch on.....I've seen that video, funny stuff....if you look closely, thats me in the back left of the dog house..

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

It's Kornheiser's dressing room and the poster is from the short-lived, ill-fated sitcom "Listen Up," based on his life.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 19, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Cindy with the "Anchorman" reference....see can things be that bad??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

scooped you already cindY!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

It's from a short-lived TV show called Listen UP which was based on TK's writings and his life. George, I mean, Jason Alexander played "Tony Kleinman". Theo was his co-host on a sportstalk TV show.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | December 19, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

holy sh it LH!!!! dang!!! i'll save it for valentine. mmm mmm mmm good stuff.

4-12, dude let me know if you think of something...and i'll do the same...

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, ChRisLarRy, about Exile on Main Street...

Posted by: Cindy Boren | December 19, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

cindy, i thought you was serious. not cool. full disclosure i did not like anchorman. i watched 2 minutes of it and turned it off. go ahead burn me in effigy.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Cindy to be fair Mr.Redskin first brought up Exile. And since he and I agree on about nothing I leapt at the chance for common ground, b/c its the Holidays and that how I roll....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

good news Dawg fans

Jeff Owens will return for his redshirt senior year!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"Someone asked Snyder why he wont fire Vinny.
Snyder: He went to " JAREDS"
Posted by: GreatOne1

That is the funniest damn thing I've read in a while. LMAO!!!!

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Scene: Group of guys standing around the flowers in Safeway at 2am

Guy 1: What are you here for?
Guy 2: Stood up my girl on a date

Guy 3: Lets see what the chart says. Stood girl up = 3 flowers.
Guy 3 (turns to guy 1): What are you here for?
Guy 1: Got caught slow dancing with another woman.
Guy 3: The chart here says ... see jewelry chart.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn's Still Up for a Challenge"

Whatever.....score more than 10 points. There, thats your challenge!

Posted by: Predator48 | December 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Dealer if you don't love Old School and Wedding Crasher at least, well there is no hope for you....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

ummmm i didn't think Listen Up was as bad as the kelly ripa sitcom. though i only saw maybe 10 minutes of the show.

prison break,
football.

and guys, gals, with hbo. the sadam movie seems really good. have only seen about 30 minutes of it and looks really good. as always hbo did a good job of casting and good solid acting, directing.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"good news Dawg fans

Jeff Owens will return for his redshirt senior year!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | December 19, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse "

Oh thank heavens.....A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"i don't like any of will ferel's movies except the one where he plays an 40 year old loser living with his mom, wedding crashers. didn't really like the move but liked his character."

Posted by: dealer1

Agreed. Don't dig most Will Ferrel flix. But "Old School" is freakin' hilarious. (Also, he's good in "Stranger Than Fiction", not your typical Will Ferrel SNL-type flick).

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 19, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

i thought jeff owens was the bassist for the old country group alabama

Posted by: connskins | December 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

cl, i thought will ferel was really good in wedding crashers but i didn't like the way they dragged the movie. that was lame.

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

lol@ cl and T1!!!

T1 sets it up and CL spikes it for a winner!

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

if lame means awesome than yeah....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk |

I doubt Larry Michaels "walks" into Danny's office ... he crawls, maybe he slithers, but walks ... NO

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 19, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

for those Ferrel fans, RENT STEP-BROTHERS.....HIGH COMEDY....for me anyway..

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

If loving Anchorman is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

Posted by: CindyBoren | December 19, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Finally, some Jibba Jabba. All this football talk was bringing be down.

Anchroman is pretty much my go-to movie. I also love me some Elf and, of course Old School.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The funniest line in this Blowhards on Parade segment with Kornheiser and the Fat Man was Tony saying "I'll be very brief about this..."

Since he went on MNF,Tony hasn't been brief about anything. He uses more words to say nothing than anyone in broadcasting, with the possible exception of Geraldo.

Wilbon looks like he goes about four bills. When did he get so fat?

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Its in he Que beantown....

Posted by: chrislarry | December 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 19, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I just watched step brothers last week. Great movie.

"I can't be sure but I think you took the shape of a unicorn for a second there."

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep,.. Sorry no link

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

Right on. Wedding Crashers was ok. Good premise, but dragged on way too long and ended in a typical Hollywood formulaic way. Will Ferrel definitely stole the show, though. McCain cameo was weak (and his team tried to label Obama as the "celebrity"). How about Isla Fisher, though? Saucy!

Posted by: gringoinmiami | December 19, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

+++That reminds me....i have gotten nothing so far...hmmmmmmmmmmm...any last minute ideas for the wifey?

Posted by: dealer1 | December 19, 2008 1:38 PM |

Jewelry always works for me.

Posted by: Flounder21 ++++

Candlesticks are always nice.

Posted by: TheCork | December 19, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I could not face the thought of reading the Thomas article this morning... I knew it would be depressing. Well, I finally read it and it was worse that I thought. Loved the concept that a second round pick with a huge bonus amount has to adjust financially. When ARE, whose job you are trying to take, tells you that you have to study that is saying something. I really don't know but I will assume that at MSU he did not have to study too much, or adjust to life away from home too much. It seems that the maturing process was delayed about 4 years. It reminds me of the Wizards and Kwawme Brown.

Posted by: driley | December 19, 2008 1:26 PM

Devin Thomas went to a a junior college for two years, then after a break out junior year, declared himself eligible for the draft. And here he is.

"It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way."

Posted by: dcsween | December 19, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse