Devin Thomas Excused (Updated)

Well, so much for controversy. Paul Tenorio writes:

As you guys have noted in the comments, Devin Thomas was excused from practice today to attend the funeral of his grandmother. He is expected to return from the funeral tonight and participate in the final practice tomorrow.

They're running 9 vs 9 right now with the four healthy QBs rotating snaps. But here come full team drills, initiated by a loud whoop from middle linebacker London Fletcher...

By Cindy Boren  |  May 3, 2008; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let's Review, Shall We?
Next: JZ and JC (With Afternoon Update)

Comments

First!

Posted by: jhl276 | May 3, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

reposted from last thread... shameless comment count padding... move along... move along...

sicwidit, you're an armchair GM just like me and everybody else up here. We all have opinions.

As long as people are going to praise the offensive draft before we've seen any of these dudes in a game, I'm going to scratch my heads about the huge discrepancy between what we were told by the team and pretty much universally expected up here -- that D line would be one of the top areas targeted for improvement via player acquisition this offseason -- and what actually happened, which is one D lineman drafted, in the seventh round with our ninth or tenth pick, and then UDFAs.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE that our defense has been good to great, and has carried our dysfunctional offense through some of our recent seasons. But you want to see each area get better and faster and younger just about every offseason, right? Especially mitigating our dependency on the old warhorses up front, Daniels and Griff.

All right, that's enough of that. Hail to 'em!

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet, that air travel story did not involve me. Honest! I swear!

All my recent travel has been domestic or to Canada. And I tend to behave pretty well in transit, believe it or not. The only thing that's upsetting is not having access to the blog while you're on the plane! That blows.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Who's the last guy to wear #11 for the crimson and charcoal? Didn't someone after Ramsey wear it... one of the kid receivers, maybe?

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Condolences to JLC,

But man, am I glad he's gone for a while.

Listening to JLC try to talk about the Redskins is like listening to Rosie O'Donnell try to talk about the war in Iraq, all you get is hate and ignorance.

Good to see a nice run of positive, insightful posts.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I *heart* London Fletcher.

Thanks for all the posts, Cindy & the gang! I'm out of here for a while (sigh of relief from all the comment readers, I know, I know).

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Ok...sombody's slippin' on the beat reporting...Devin Thomas' grandmother died and he was excused to go to the funeral. He'll return to the team on Sunday. Damn...even I scooped that...

Posted by: sicwidit | May 3, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

he's at a funeral

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

his grandmother died and he went to the funeral today

Posted by: read yesterday's blog on redskins.com | May 3, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

yea, how'd ya'll miss that?

Posted by: ... | May 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Jasno would not have missed that detail! Hope he comes back soon. Shame on you all dumping on him when his mother-in-law died.

Posted by: Alberto | May 3, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: | May 3, 2008 12:16 PM

This will be my last post until you're back Nate. Blog doesn't work right when the engineer's not here to run it.

Posted by: talent evaluator | May 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Shame on nothing...posters here are entitled to dump on Jasno just like he's entitled to dump on the Skins, which he does quite often...although I do think comparing him, or anyone else for that matter, to Rosie is a bit harsh.

Posted by: amcginl00 | May 3, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

There is a time and a place for dumping on people. I'm just saying lay off of him for just right now, a few days. Remember when we called a truce on dumping on the team after ST's death? Just give Jasno a bit of room these few days; that's all I'm saying!

Posted by: Alberto | May 3, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the props Cindy!

Any news on how Alex Buzbee is doing? Or some of our young DE hopefuls?

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree that he and his family should have our condolences and respect, but I also think it's valid that people might react to/have an opinion about the different "tone" with which the info is being communicated this weekend in his absence, especially if they don't care for Jasno's negativity. I don't really think anyone is trying to kick him when he's down. When you say "shame on you" it sounds condescending, as if your chastising a small child.

Posted by: amcginl00 | May 3, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying lay off of him for just right now, a few days.

Posted by: Alberto | May 3, 2008 12:58 PM

Alberto, people up here are free to say what they want when they want it. You don't have the privilege of telling folks what they can say or when they can say it. If you don't like the blog rules, take your whines elsewhere.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Ed Rooney: Ferris Bueller is behind this, there's no doubt in my mind. And now he's got Devin Thomas involved.

Grace: His grandmother, too.

Posted by: etrod | May 3, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | May 3, 2008 1:11 PM

----------------------

Someone's a little testy this morning!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'm feeling a smite under appreciated these days, and the daily grind is wearing me down a bit, feeling all knubs.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Someone's a little testy this morning!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:15 PM

Think that everyone's getting tired of the self-appointed and puffed-up etiquette-meisters up here. They don't react to people's ideas but put them down for expressing them at what they think is the wrong time. When people are out of line, leave it to me to tell them.

Posted by: Miss Manners | May 3, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

As far as Devin Thomas missing practice, I think that attending your grandmother's funeral qualifies as a legit excuse.

Let's hope he's not making that shizz up though...

-RIP- Mrs. Thomas

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Blog rule (Blule): We save the hate for midseason...

Posted by: Cindy | May 3, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Miss Manners!

I've been meaning to ask you a few questions. I'll start with the one that's foremost on my mind:

What do you tell the overly flirtatious girl, the one with the boyfriend, next time she puts her hand on your knee, or asks you to take your shirt off to get a better look at your tattoos?

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pets don't have tattoos.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

More importantly, why do all desirable girls have boyfriends?

Had I known about this before, I would have never broken up with my desirable girlfriend, who is now happily married.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

You're right, Chia Pets do not have tattoos.

I was asking as a favor of a good friend of mine, one who is a little reticent when it comes to these subjects.

Everything I say, I say on his behalf.

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but most people lose interest in Chia Pets pretty quick.

What did she marry an ant farm?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

WHATEVER!

The reason why people lose interest in their Chia Pets is because they don't take proper care of them in the first place.

Don't get me started!

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Chia Pet = glorified Pet Rock!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

You tell her in no uncertain terms not to trifle with Chia Pets.
Beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | May 3, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia Pet | May 3, 2008 1:26 PM

This is behavior which you would like to encourage? If so you say:

At your service! Your wish is my command! If you don't like those tattoos, I can get some more! Something along those lines.

Of course, if you don't want to encourage it, then there are doctors you should talk to.

Posted by: Miss Manners | May 3, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow, actually the JLC/Rosie comparison is perfect.

So, true.

Posted by: Elizabeth Hassleback | May 3, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

What sounds better?

Jason O'Donnell

or

Rosie La Canfora

Posted by: Survey | May 3, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Wait! I got it!

Rosie O'la Canfora

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

>>>.

Vinnie was on ESPN radio this AM with Kuiper. He actually mande sense. (Vinnie, not Mel). Again, it's a matter of the OL and DL that were NOT worth second round picks, said Vinnie.

Of course, smart survivor that he is, he made extra sure people knew that they drafted Hawaii 5-0 because Zorn insisted and it was his defensive coords and Buges saying go ahead and pick another receiver, Vinnie, nuthin' we want.

He admited they wanted Merlingl, but HAD they pickd at 21 would have taken Thomas anyway. So that trade down looks good. Credit where it's due. Now if the picks pan outk, I'll have to find somethign else to beeyotch about.

And remember THEY STILL GOT NEXT YEAR'S PIX!!!

Posted by: corkczar | May 3, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

And remember THEY STILL GOT NEXT YEAR'S PIX!!!

Posted by: corkczar | May 3, 2008 1:57 PM

hopin' this ain't the kiss of death.

and my darkhorse favorite UDFA is Kyle DeVan, OL from Oregon State. i know that makes me a homer, but who cares? kid is tough, super-smart (do we still want those kinds of players?), and a helluva football player. takes a lot for a Ducks fan to wave the Beavers flag, but it's all good now that ol' boy is in the Maroon and yellow.

one final note: Fred Davis will be a great Redskins player. my feeling is that of the three 2nd round picks, he's the one most guaranteed to have an impact on the offense over the next 8-10 years.

just sayin'....

Posted by: RedskinWillie | May 3, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: amcginl00 | May 3, 2008 1:09 PM

When you act like a small child, you tend to get treated like one.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

And remember THEY STILL GOT NEXT YEAR'S PIX!!!

Posted by: corkczar | May 3, 2008 1:57 PM

Right now, they have all of their 2009 picks, EXCEPT for Round #4, which goes to the Jets as a result of the Kendall deal.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse