Below-the-Radar Roster Concerns Lurk for Skins

We can all agree - maybe? perhaps? even on this blog? - that there are some holes on the Redskins' roster. Notable among them are starting right tackle, strong-side linebacker and left end.

But what are your other areas of concern?

To me, there are a few below-the-radar roster positions that are less than secure -- or at least should be of concern.

Kicker and punter are both potential problem spots. If there is a sure thing at either spot, I don't see it.

This team will need remarkably improved production across the wide receiver spot to be a factor. I'm not sure the Redskins have a No. 2 or No. 3 WR on the roster, and I don't believe Santana Moss is one of the top 15 receivers as a true game-breaker (like a Steve Smith, who can blow games open regardless of double teams, Cover-2, and anything else).

At right guard, Randy Thomas's athleticism - once his greatest asset - has declined along with his health, he's coming off major neck surgery and I'm not sure you can expect him to get through a full season.

Nickel corner, given the steadily declining health/production of Fred Smoot, and the limitations Justin Tryon displayed last year, might cause you to lose some sleep (since nickel corner is dang near a starting spot with all the spread offenses these days).

I'd also be worried about having a stout backup at middle linebacker because I saw London Fletcher's age crop up in the second half of last season. And, although he has had ridiculously good luck with injuries throughout his long career, those games-played streaks end at some point, as we saw with Jason Taylor.

Okay, enough on this end. Any of these issues on your mind? Some more than others?

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 17, 2009; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Unfazed by Lack of Extension
Next: Daniels Might Return After All

Comments

Depressing.

Posted by: The_Doc | March 17, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

they should get cutler

Posted by: davidpr16 | March 17, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

But this is now above-the-radar?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

PUNT RETURNER....
Please tell me I don't have to watch ARE running sideways and backwards for another season

Posted by: offbyone | March 17, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

So many on this blog love to criticize Jason La Canfora, but I think he is so right about this team and the FO. He sees the team without rose colored glasses. He is not always right, (no person is) but I have to agree with his commentary.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | March 17, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Cutler's a tool
and he sucks

Posted by: COskins | March 17, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

It'd be nice to have a RB who could occasionally bust off a 40+ yarder.

Posted by: fufighter2121 | March 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Cutler should be the very last thing they should be considering at this point.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I am not so sure about the nickel corner spot being such an issue. I think Fred Smoot's ability is on par with most of the rest of the league in that regard. And, I believe the starting corners are one of the better starting pairs in the league. Health is always a concern, but this is the NFL - injuries happen. I don't like Tryon backing everyone up, but I think the top three are pretty tight.

I think the kicking game stinks, but I am wondering why it is so hard to find someone who can punt a football. More teams than just the skins struggle with this (see Green Bay after signing Frost). Where the heck are the punters out there?
Don't they punt in college anymore?

Posted by: PASkinsFan1 | March 17, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Excellent Analysis, you Redskin-hating little toad.

Um actually spot on and a little kind. There are other concerns.

Rocky's durability means all LBs are potential trouble spots.

Carter should benefit immensely from Haynesworth, but has anyone gotten a gander at his skinny legs? Without M. Washington protecting his flanks, he's sweepable.

I'm not sold on DeAngello Hall. The memory of him getting lit up by a denver rookie was burned into my heart.

Rabach is still too light to be effective against nose tackles. He'll benefit from having Dockery, but...

Jason Campbell? If the jury's out on him any longer, I'm calling a mistrial.

Portis' durability? An issue. He has no viable backup.

Re-enforcements. FOUR picks. Give me two starters and I'll rest easier.

Also, how WONDERFUL it would be if at least one of last year's second rounders proved a good receiver.

Posted by: TheCork | March 17, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I see those as some legitimate concerns. Another thing that caught my attention was the lack of game-breaking speed from any of our three running backs. Portis does not have the agility or break away speed anymore. Ladell Betts I feel has a very similar playing style to Portis, except he's not as good. And Rock Cartwright is a great special teams guy, but I do not see him as a legitimate running back. I think this is something Redskins should look into to form a 1-2 punch with Portis. There is no doubt that Portis is a banger, but we need that speedy guy to take advantage of a worn down defense. The top rushing teams are running back duos and/or trios. The Giants have a triple headed monster, Pats have a dual headed monster with AP and Taylor, Titans, Panthers and even Jags were doing it for a while.

Posted by: pakimonster | March 17, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Vikings have dual headed monster with AP and Taylor**

Posted by: pakimonster | March 17, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to trade down and get more picks so they can shore up the LB'er position..what we have just won't cut it and there is no future there..Also is it true that our drafted WR'er have not been at OTA's?

Posted by: Dkessler1 | March 17, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I agree, if we can trade our first round pick for a later first round and grab a second round pick with it. Still draft a tackle with the first round pick and with that other pick (i assume it'll be 2nd or 3rd) grab that lb Cody Brown from UConn, he looks solid. I think we should sign Angelo Crowell to man up that SAM lb position for a short period of time.

Posted by: pakimonster | March 17, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Blah blah blah, the Redskins have no talent on the roster.. Blah blah blah, the Redskins are old.. Blah blah blah, the Redskins don't have depth anywhere.. Boring. According to his analysis we don't have a #1, #2 or #3 WR on the roster. So Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly are all #4 WR at best? Interesting.

Posted by: jaldrichl | March 17, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

man J Ca Ca just can't leave well enough alone can he? All of the positive updates (read: real insider news) comes from Jason Reid.

All the axe grinding and personal opinions and vendetta stuff comes from Ca Ca.

Come on man, quit already.

Posted by: IHateJLC | March 17, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

The Plan

Trade # 13 to the Lions For # 20, # 33, and a fourth unless A.Smith, M.Oher, E.Monroe or B.Orakpo is there.

# 20 = Alex Mack / Clay Matthews / Brian Cushing

# 33 = Best Available OL / DL

Stock the trenches and pick up a strong side LB.

Can we make this happen? I know the Lions are constantly rebuilding, but this makes sense for both teams.

The same pitch could be made to the Pats, for # 23 and # 34 plus some loose change.

Dealing down to # 20 still has us being the first team in the Beast to draft, which is worth something.

No way the iggles would move up and part with # 21 and # 28, right? Right?

Am I nuts?

Posted by: beatwhitey | March 17, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

This is a SHOW ME year, no doubt. Literally every player on the roster needs to prove that they're the solution at their position, with the possible exceptions of Samuels and Cooley.

There no no receivers who scare anyone. Moss has done some amazing things, but they're few and farther between. ARE is capable, but that's it. And nobody else has shown squat.

Portis is a stud early, but fades in November, and seems more and more fragile. I wonder if he has much left. Betts hasn't been at his best in a long time, and his runs are very average.

The LBs are suspect, except for Fletcher, but I wonder about his age and full season durability.

Both lines, well. It's either age or doubts at every position. Even Haynesworth has to prove he's not going to take it easy on his new paycheck.

The secondary SHOULD be great. But Hall also has to show that the paycheck won't soften him. Smoot and Rogers are supposed to be capable, but neither seems to come up with the big INT, and both tend to get beaten badly a little too often.

Campbell. If we don't see a breakthrough for him, I think he's done here - at least as the starter. He's already built a reputation (of sorts) for dispassionate workman-like "just-enough" play. If he doesn't break through and at least appear to win us some games, what's left of his support will evaporate.

Zorn. Is he the coach of the first half of last year or the last half? He doesn't make it to 2010 if he doesn't make the playoffs, is my bet.

Cerrato. I don't think he has the golden ticket so many claim. Snyder wants success, and Cerrato doesn't have anyone else to share credit or blame with anymore. 2008 was a new coach and a mixed bag of results. But if 2009 doesn't improve on 2008, one wonders if Cerrato can keep his job and still shoulder his share (all) of the blame. Especially if Zorn doesn't survive.

Sounds apocalyptic, but this is a wide-open, anything can happen league, and it's an especially wide-open, anything can happen team in 2009.

So, yeah. Holes. If everyone proves what they're here to prove, it COULD be a great year. But if the skeptics are right - and there's a lot to be skeptical about, position by position - it could be awful, and we could be looking at some rebuilding in 2010.

Posted by: jvwright | March 17, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

If we had draft picks this wouldn't be a problem. If we had draft picks we'd have depth. If we had draft picks we'd have options. Then again, if we had draft picks, that means Vinny would be picking them. Hmmmm.

Posted by: Gfunk | March 17, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"it could be awful, and we could be looking at some rebuilding in 2010."

Every year since 1992 has been a rebuilding year. At 8-8 Zorny is rocking the best overall Redskins coaching record (.500) since Gibbs I. In fact, he's right up there with Schottenheimer!

We are not going to stop rebuilding until The Dan decides to leave town.

Even with Dockery we still have an ancient O line, you have to go 4 deep at WR to find a guy above 6 foot, and quick, can anybody name our third starting Linebacker? Both our RBs are staring 30 in the face, and the reason why we started 3 safeties last year was because we didnt have a true strong safety (and we just got rid of the guy - Springs - who could shift us into that defense). The only spots we look solid are our internal D line and defensive perimeter.

We better hope beyond home Horton has a career season, Kareem Moore presses for playing time, Devin Thomas learns how to catch without pushing off, and Malcom Kelly actually leaves his Bengay commercial gig for a few seconds playing time.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | March 17, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

We can all agree - maybe? perhaps? even on this blog?
=============================
No. Non. Nein.

Agreeing is verboten.

There will be no agreeing on the blog.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 17, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

everything jc said is right on.whats even worse is the skins added 2 more small college dum dum coaches to the mix,even after palmaro,or whatever,did such a horrible job last year.maybe a bad season will get ceratzo and zorn fired and convince the dan to get a grown up gm and a real hc,and let them run the team.

Posted by: DLESMonday | March 17, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Top 10 things you didn't know about "TheCork" until now:

10. I work at Circuit City. I've been told I "have what it takes" to seriously advance my career here in the next 3-5 years.

9. Dan Snyder would not buy my girl scout cookies when I knocked on his door in 2004. I have hated him ever since.

8. I met Emilio Garcia-Ruiz at a Post Christmas party 3 years ago. After a few Appletinis and a half hour in the janitor's closet, one thing led to another. He is now my pimp.

7. J-Reid loves it when I rub his bald dome as he eats twinkies. I just love dome. Period.

6. When I married, I took my wife's last name.

5. I do have friends. Both of them are invisible, but they do exist.

4. I used to post under the ID of "Corkczar" because I think Mike Fratello is really hot.

3. I sweat a lot. A LOT.

2. I was the real photgrapher behind the Cooley picture last season.

1. I am the "source close to the team" JLC always talks about. I live 2 miles from Ashburn.

Posted by: TheCork_ | March 17, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Despite all of these legitimate concerns,I believe the defense will be world class.Now the offense is debatable,but I'm optimistic that there will be some modest improvement.Hopefully it will be enough to get us in the playoffs and then who knows anything can happen. hail f******g redskins!

Posted by: mark65 | March 17, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

hail VCU rams!

Posted by: mark65 | March 17, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

We have one of the weakest WR corps in the league.

And that's not even one of our biggest needs at this point.

Yikes.

Posted by: smutsboy | March 17, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Give those guys a break. Stop tearing them down. Help build them up. What did they do to you, not talk to you after a game? We all know we need to get younger but Youth alone never won a Super Bowl in D.C. Bud. Think about what positve reinforcement in your usually negative column would do for the Team. It might even help you be more positive in your own Life. All it takes is a spark to ignite the flame back into a veteran. Go make peace with larry. At least in all his babble he is positive about the outlook of the team.I know he is paid to do it, but being negative only hurts. If they play bad then say so but be nice about it. If they play well Praise the be-Jesus out of them. Help to make them believe that they are better than what they are. because Somthing has to work, and what been tried before ain't working.

Posted by: jfulwider | March 17, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I actually cant think of any reason not to just release ARE and Thrash at this point. Devin Thomas and Malcomn Kelly couldnt possibly be less productive. Why not pick up Torry Holt for experience for the next couple years.

2008:
Torry Holt = 800 yrds .... and thats playing for a team that had HUGE offensive issue last year.

ARE + Thrash = 600 yrds.... Thrash had EIGHTY-ONE yards... for the season.... why did we cut Billy McMullen again?

Posted by: mac2j | March 17, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh and yea - I also heard that neither Kelly nor Thomas (Devin) has been at OTAs.... but Fred "sleepyhead" Davis actually has....

Posted by: mac2j | March 17, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Naah, we'll never agree, and be happy we don't...otherwise blogs don't really "work".

Suisham will be fine, the faith in him will be rewarded. He's not Matt Stover, but hes no Tony Zendajas, either...punting is another story...only the shadow knows.

Right tackle is more a depth issue, Heyer was ready to start prior to his injury last season, he will likely be again during (if not before) the season...back will be the question should he not prove durable.

Strong Side LB yeah, right now the team is thin, but they need to address this in the draft, or later in free agency.

Left end, youth and speed are the concerns. Any number of "run stuffing ends" are on tap and available, the team needs someonw who, on 2nd and long, 3rd and whatever, and 4th passing downs, can help disrupt and opposing passing attack.

WR, I think everyone coming back healthy will help, we could use a tall younger vet, but that's going to be addressed on a space/funds available basis later in free agency (post-draft).

Guard we have bodies to fill, and Kendall is still available, and will likely be back, and deservedly so.

CB is an issue to me, in today's NFL...you need LOTS of fresh legs at this position and outside of the top 3, we're uncertain or empty.

I disagree COMPLETELY on London Fletcher. He was playing hurt a LOT of last season, especially late, and did a solid job...he'll be healthy and ready to go.

Clip and save this...Horton was a rookie last year, there will be NO "sophmore slump". He's the good, he will better learn position, angles, and technique, and he will improve. Daughty will be the 3rd...trust me.

The team has holes, but the biggest ones are depth and backups for tenuous health starters. Too early to worry.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | March 17, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

First, I agree with you about Moss, but I think you are a bit too pessimistic about the chances of either or hopefully both of our 2nd round WR picks last year stepping up and giving Moss some much needed support. Its certainly not a sure thing, but it is very common for rookies to take a year to get into gear and then make major contributions the second year.

About safety, I dont' agree with the pessimism; I think Horton plus Doughty is a great combo for that safety spot.

About CB, I thought we let go some good young nickel CB prospects last year to keep Tyron, who really showed nothing.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 18, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

JLC is the worst.....To even compare an abysmal REED DOUGHTY to Chris Horton is absurd. Not even close. Reed Doughty couldnt carry Chris Horton's jock strap any day. He should be grateful that the Redskins even resign him. Lol.....

Posted by: abysmalsportswear | March 18, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DLESMonday

Snyder will never hire a GM, period. And he will never sell the Skins. With his relative youth, his recent reduced waist line, and the fact he can afford the best health care in the city, many of us middle aged plus Skins fans will probably never see the likes of a Casserly or Beathard building powerhouses here again.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 18, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

This should come as no surprise. No money, no draft choices. What did they expect? I agree with the comment, this is depressing. When you spend millions in one player and peanuts for others, something going to give. I've been a fan since 1961, and can't believe what I have been seeing. Another long year. Sorry, like others, I feel nothing will change as long as they don't hire a "GM"! And get rid of Vinny C. Go Skins! PS. Maybe, someone will buy this team that understands Pro-football.. I can only "Hope"!

Posted by: eztiger44 | March 18, 2009 4:46 AM | Report abuse

"Talking to scouts about Chris Horton, I'm still not sure he is a sure-fire, every-down starter. He was a terrific seventh-round find and definitely is an NFL player, but his lack of speed and limitations in coverage are things that can be exploited. He's the perfect third safety in a sub package, but I would expect some competition with Reed Doughty and others."

that's definitely the case. The thing you heard about Horton before his rookie season was 'not even the best DB on the UCLA roster." He had a fabulous start last year, in terms of ball-hawking, but I would have felt better with Shawn Springs playing next to Landry.

Oh well, not to be. Horton's weaknesses: he plays going forward and knifing in for a tackle. Like a LB. And as Bill Belichick noted before the combine, we have to relearn to evaluate safeties as pseudo-CBs.

Reed Doughty, despite not being able to hear (or because of it?), is the headier player. With a wonderful athlete like Landry beside him, his sure-handed intelligence may blossom. He doesn't look like a full-time starter, so the Skins may keep searching. Mike Green, anyone?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 18, 2009 4:51 AM | Report abuse

Yes there are areas of concern and the Skins may be in for a tough year.

Most of what's in this post are sort of nice to have problems. Unfortunately, the Skins have much bigger issues on both sides of the line to be worried about kickers and reserve players.

But, what's important is that the team keeps their eyes on the long-term, fix the big issues and builds a team to highlight a strong running attack then things will turn around.

Posted by: ds5371 | March 18, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

"Talking to the Skins about Chris Horton..." Sounds like Jasno trying to further slam Vinny's draft.

This statement shows how full of crap the scouts really are. The kid is an NFL starter and there is no doubt about it. Forget about the turnovers he was involved in creating last year -- the speed at which he plays the game and how often he is around the ball tells you he is a starter.

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | March 18, 2009 7:16 AM | Report abuse

I disagree about corner. I think the Redskins have solid, if not spectacular, depth there. I have always looked as H B Blades as heir imminent to the MLB position, but I can acknowledge that the team is weak on linebackers overall, especially after they just released Mike Sinclair, who I thought had a great pre-season last year before his neck injury. Wide receiver is a question mark. There are some guys who could step up this year and solve that problem, but at the end of last season the Skins were in pretty mediocre shape at the position. I wonder why the team assigns any value to Randal El. He drops too many passes and his punt return skills have disappeared. Offensive line is clearly an area of need as has been discussed on this site many times. The Redskins used to be able to find o-linemen in the later rounds, but it seems like the scouts no longer can find depth in that manner, so, having spent their money on other players and therefore ruined their chances of signing any more quality free agents, they will have to look for offensive linemen in the draft.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 18, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

How about an actual general manager? Someone who actually has experience and possesses great talent evaluating skills. I know this will never happen as long as Vinny "Yes Sir Mr. Snyder" is alive a breathing, but it's something this team has needed for over a decade. The results during that time speak for themselves.

Posted by: ywill316 | March 18, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

I like Landry, but could you imagine having Adrian Peterson in the backfield instead?

Posted by: Redskins001 | March 18, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

forget Cutler...he's a baby. We need to get Torry Holt.
it would completely free up Moss, Cooley, and Randle El. It would also allow the young guys time to grow.

Posted by: RgularJoe | March 18, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I hope that there is nothig positive from this season cuase it seems that all the FO needs is a little hope for next year.

Maybe if they lose out the FO will truly rebuild, you just wonder if they have the patience to do it the rigth way.

HTTR!

Posted by: lilagram | March 18, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Dispite all the discussion, I would still not say that starting RT is a "hole to fill". I think RT is a position that the Redskins would target to upgrade. But there are at least two players (Jansen and Heyer) have started there before. It is not like Linebacker where there is actually nobody. With the signing or Renaldo Wynn, I would put DE as a "position to upgrade" rather than a hole.

Posted by: HokiePaul | March 18, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Holt is old, why get older? Correction the Giants HAD a three headed monster. The Giants also HAD Spagnuolo. The Giants are DONE.

Portis gets banged up because he is our only consistent threat. Moss is a threat, but take away those 2 guys with a safety each way and we r defended. Look for D Thomas, Kelly, Davis, or Betts to take pressure off Portis and Moss.

Who cares about kickers, whoever is fine. Also, a better pass rush will help all aspects of the team. By the way, there is a saying, Zones get picks and man breaks up the ball. We play mostly man.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

cornerback does worry me. Corner was the strength of our D and the best guy for 9 games was Springs.

I saw a trade down miami for 2 second rounders because they want a top corner prospect. I thought maybe we should take him, although I want OT

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

hokie Paul I agree with your distinction between HOLE and UPGRADE, good insight. Go skins, Hokie, and JMU Dukes

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Is there any NFL team that doesn't have question marks or enough depth?

This becomes an annual whipping right here in DC about holes on the roster.

The Giants won the Super Bowl when they headed into a season with question marks about their starting quarterback, running attack with Barber's retirement, and secondary where 33 year old Sam Madison and rookie Aaron Ross were set to start.

Don't tell me last year's Cardinals team didn't have some holes.

I also think it is premature to start labeling areas of need right now as 'holes' that will affect the season because we don't know what the draft and post June 1 free agency will bring.

If the Redskins draft an impact player at #13 as expected one hole should be filled at either RT, DE or OLB.

The #3 pick should also be a player that can make a contribution in Year 1, most probably if an OLB or pass rushing DE prospect.

With Wynn and perhaps Daniels back at DE to stop the run, I could see a platoon with a young pass rushing end coming in on third downs and long yardage plays.

I agree that kicker and punter are two spots where the current roster players do not appear to be NFL class.

Dirk Johnson's numbers last year were almost the same as Plackemeier's. Why bring him in here?

As far as the backup corner spots go, there are a lot of teams that don't have a player as good as Fred Smoot, even given his recent loss of a step on the outside at age 30.

Heck there are a lot of teams without TWO solid starters at CB.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 18, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

This was Dan Snyder's first mistake during this period of Free Agency. He spent two times the money he could have gotten two quality players for. He spent 41 Million for one player. Who else does he think he can afford to pay to play with this one player? Rehash R. Winn. Possibly rehash M. Washington. All the other affordable players will be scrubs at best. The second mistake is that the Redskins, before they could possibly win a SB, will have so much dead cap money that they will only be able to field a junior varsity Pro team. D. Snyder will not be able to retain and pay a Jason Campbell if he actually proves in 2009 that he can actually be a NFL QB with the Redskins. The jury still is considering its verdict on JC. He is a good kid who needs to use his football brain to the max. He needs to be able to think and things quickly and be able to successfully improvise. He has to cease making bad decisions. He has to able to throw the long ball as well. The Redskins need a ROT and a ROG badly. R. Thomas and J. Jansen essentially are done. Jansen's ankle injury was substantial. It has limited his mobility. He can't move. R. Thomas has a bad neck and back. Portis can't run left all the time. He needs to go right. Raback is a lightweigtht. It will be jail break for the defenses especially during blitz time. It looks like Hall wil be the lone CB. Smoot and Rogers are butterfinger type CBs who can't make a pick and can't cover the fleeting receiver on a consistent basis. Neither can tackle Brandon Jacobs. Moss is all we have at receiver although D Thomas could improve drastically. We have a half a DE in Andre Carter. He is sized like a LB. He is very light and a sweep renders him knocked to the side. Old man Fletcher is all they have to tackle the athletic foe. He has one year left. 41 Million divided by two would have meant the acquisition of maybe Canty and a bonafide LB that could have cost 20 Million guaranteed for each. I keep thinking that if the Redskins had defeated the Bengals, Rams and 49ers last season, they would have made the playoffs and gained some invaluable experience. They couldn't pull it off. They couldn't beat the Bengals. The owner spent all the money on Superman Haynesworth. Now teams will play eleven versus Haynesworth. Haynesworth can't stop the other 9 even after he is double teamed. I am getting tired of watching this stupidity. The Redskins must come to their senses. Now is the time.

Posted by: dlyles42 | March 18, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

yeah we could have gotten Cantey and Boley then the Giants would have Haynesworth..... Great. Someone was going to pay him 100 million. Because of the expiration of the CBA after this season we should have plenty if not unlimited room to resign Campbell after he has the outstanding season that he WILL have.

Remember the Skins were the 4th best D in the NFL. We lost Springs, but resigned Hall. We lost Evans, but got Haney and Wynn. We lost Wash but Blades was playing for him half the time.
There is no big reason to think we won't be 4th or better.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

We need an OLB (Angelo Crowell-BUF), Saftey (we should have signed Sean Jones-CLE, Horton is a solid back-up, nothing more), DE (what are we waiting for?) OT(please help) Kicker (Shuisam is terrible)and WR (none of the young guys are proven) AND they should trade Campbell for Cutler if they have the chance.

Posted by: hog76 | March 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I must repeat an earlier post that I read
Cutler is a tool
and he sucks

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins should not allow Randle-El to run back punts. Don't you all get tired of seeing him run backwards. I can't stand it. Moss is a better performer at punt return. However, the Redskins can't afford to allow him to get injury playing out of his natuaral position of WR. The Redskins don't have too many options at WR. Randle-El plays WR. He is not a bonafide 2 WR. Randle-El is a specialty type player who can get you a big play on a freak play. That would be his role. I think he worries about getting injured and so he plays tentatively especially when he tries to run back a punt. Randle-El didn't get any where near the endzone running back punts. What do the Redskins coaches see when they are out on the field with the players? Are they not blind?

Posted by: dlyles42 | March 18, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly' knee is shot. It is in the identical condition as that of Arenas. Areans may never play another game again for the Wizards. The insurance policy will continue to pay his salary. He is lucky. Most of us will never be as fortunate to get paid as he is getting paid. But don't hate. You never know how GOD will bless you. Kelly needs a new knee construction - sort of like a bionic knee replacement. I am not kidding. You see that Tiger Woods has started rather slowly in his come back. It will take him some time to get used to performing on a replacement knee. I love Tiger. He will have to work incredibly hard to win as he did in the past with his new setup. May GOD continue to bless him. May GOD bless the Redskins, whom need an owner who will learn how to spend his money wisely on an organization based on equal profit sharing and not give all the money to one entity. Dissension can easily disrupt harmoney. "I ain't going to do anything out of this field. 'Homey' is making all the money. Let him carry that bail of cotton! I am going to chill on this paupers salary." Feel me?

Posted by: dlyles42 | March 18, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

People are homing in too much on the right side of the line, the glaring whole in our offense was obviously (especially in the steelers game) Chris Samuels. I wish they recorded o line stats officially (for free, there is a paysite)i kept up with it for the first 6 weeks and he lead the oline in penalties (2 catagories not one, false starts and holding)AND missed blocks resulting in sacks...now all this was made more apparent durring the steelers game, you ask where our biggest hole on offense is i give you chris samuels...if you have a contrary view point great, but watch the steelers and ravens games hes like crab grass on a meticulously cared for lawn...

Posted by: dxfwmad | March 18, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

So is JLC already giving up on Thomas and Kelly? As bad a season as they had combined last year, you gotta say the jury is still out.

Posted by: justice98 | March 18, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Hey, all the 'skins problems will be solved next year if there is an uncapped year... They could redo lots of contracts & cut players without a cap hit... Basically, they could re-organize their payroll & take advantage of no cap... but knowing them, they will run it up to $300 million assuming there will never be another cap then BAM it will come back to bite their A$$!

Posted by: tony325 | March 18, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

McIntosh had similar problems with his knee. The Skins medical and strength team got him up and running. No guarantees, but they could do a repeat on Malcolm Kelly

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 18, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 18, 2009 12:24 AM Encourage Abuse

Ken, you read my mind. From pretty much five years into the Snyder reign, i've been resigned to the very strong possibility that I've seen my last 'Skins NFL championship team. Worse, it's hard to even respect the team, given how it's run and the values Snyder has...or doesn't.

Given the fact that Snyder will likely own the team the rest of my lifetime, and given that for whatever reason he seems bent on making HORRIBLE, ABYSMAL personnel moves, or letting his - wtvr Vinnie-Boy's called these days - make them, well...

There are a LOT of solid players on this team, I'm not disparaging them. In fact, I think we're way above ave in terms of players' character, team cohesiveness, effort, etc. (I attribute a lot of that to coaching, and yes, Snyder hired Zorn, a man of apparent character, but let's be honest - part of what landed Zorn the h.c. spot was the accurate fear amongst other h.c. candidates that Snyder is meddlesome and an egomaniac. So Snyder didn't 'choose' him so much as he was available. He DID choose him as o.c., sure, but that was HOW many o.c.s in HOW few years? Ship, he woulda landed on Zorn eventually...)

It's the whole manner in which players are chosen, paid, dealt with, and the image that creates for players here and elsewhere about playing for the Redskins - everyone here knows what I mean. These things reveal the character (and maybe intelligence?) of the man at the top, and if that's rotten, there's just no way to have sustained success.

With all of Snyder's cash and his willingness to spend it, however foolishly, on top $$ talent, we'll likely rarely completely suck, and might even have a strong year here and there, mb go two-deep in the playoffs. But that's hopefully not the point, and unless Snyder learns things like patience, importance of the non-flashy positions, drafting and developing, i.e. BUILDING a winner v. BUYING one, we'll never be champions.

It's okay for your owner to not know much about football. Just hire a good GM, a good H.C., sign the checks, and get the f- outta the way (oh, and enjoy the shrimp cocktail @ the games, you putz in your white button-up and tie...yes, you know who you are).

The problem is when your owner doesn't KNOW that he doesn't know d*ck about football...then you're screwed.

Posted by: hogmeister | March 18, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Cutler would be the 2nd coming of JAY SCHROEDER.....no way he should be a REDSKIN.

Posted by: goosedude | March 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Cutler doesn't know anything about the Redskins way of football. If he came in, there would be another wasted year of a QB learning the system. With Campbell, the team moves forward with last years implemented plan. I like those odds. If Campbell shows that he can't do what the implemented system requires, then he should be replaced. I'd like to say that before the Redskins depart with Campbell, they should at least bring in some bonafide receivers to really test whether he can throw the ball. Where are Doug Williams and Mark Rypien? Joe Thiesmann. Little Joe got the job done even though he didn't have an exceptional throwing arm. Joe executed flawlessly. So did Rypien.

Posted by: dlyles42 | March 19, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the o-line blocking techniques. When you observe there techniques, you clearly see that they start back pedaling toward the QB. When the DE runs forward, it is easy to move the OT back into close proximity of the QB. Most of the time, the momentum creates a collision with the QB. The QB has to adjust his position and get out of the pocket. The technique has to be changed. The OT or OG has remain stationary and allow as quick as possible contact with the defensive lineman and the advancement of the defensive lineman can then be retarded. By the time the Redskins OG and OT cease back pedaling, they are almost at the side of the QB. This blocking technique leads to greater sack statistics against the Redskins. I had to get that off my chest. I've recorded all the Redskins games and that is what I have seen. What do the coaches see? It is time for Bugel to step and implement the most appropriate offensive line blocking schemes. Schemes that can protect Campbell and give him time to explore his options. Also, we need to draft that first round OT in '09. We can get a first round DE or LB in the '10 draft if those holes remain open. By that time, our receivers should be primed for optimal play. Then we may have a chance to go deep in a playoff situation.

Posted by: dlyles42 | March 19, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

In the '10 draft, the Redskins have to acquire a young RB to replace an aging Clinton Portis. The Redskins have to acquire a 'young-blood young-legged' running back. Portis will have had his run by '10. If you noticed, Cartright has run longer gains than Portis. Portis loses steam and the defense catches him and makes the tackle. Too, the reason why Portis doesn't run longer runs is because the Redskins stop blocking early and stop the support. The Redskins have to be taught to not give up their blocking duties so early. They shouldn't stop blocking until the whistle is blown.

Posted by: dlyles42 | March 19, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse