Player Rep Advises Redskins to Save Up

Whether it's only rhetoric or not, the NFL Players Association's top boss told reporters this week he expects owners to impose a lockout after next season. Word is trickling down to players, and the Redskins' union representative, Ethan Albright, said he's advising teammates to be careful with their money.

"I'm telling them right now, if you have a big purchase, this might be a good time to put it off. If you're looking at a house or a car or something expensive, think twice about it," said Albright, the team's long snapper. "I'm telling guys to save their money, save half their salary. Hopefully everything works itself out this spring, we extend the deal and never reach the uncapped year. I always say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best."

Albright inherited the team's union leadership post from former wide receiver James Thrash, who is now retired, and he'll remain in the position pending a team vote later in the fall. Albright has been in the league 14 seasons, and from the locker room to the lunch room, he's never heard this much union chatter among players.

"It makes sense because we haven't been this close to something stopping play before," Albright said. "Nobody is talking about a strike, but some guys have asked me, 'Hey, can we cross if there's a lockout?' I tell them, no, there's a difference. If the owners opt out or put a deal on the table that's unfair, they're locking the doors on us and telling us we can't come back to work."

DeMaurice Smith, the union's new executive director, said this week NFL owners seem determined to lockout players in 2011. Last spring, the owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement, unhappy with the revenue split. If a new agreement isn't reached by March, the 2010 season would be played without a salary cap.

"It feels like 2011 is going to be a lockout year," said Albright. "They're gonna say, 'Here's the deal, and if you don't want it, how long are you willing to wait?'"

By Rick Maese  |  August 19, 2009; 5:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moore Trying to Develop
Next: Cooley, Daniels and Morning Update

Comments

If the league locks out the players, will Redskins Insider lock out the posters? Personally, I don't think that RI is paying us enough, and the working hours are insane. Why do I have to get up this early just to be first? Sucks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Personally, a brief lockout/strike might not be a bad thing. Look how well we've done previously when there has been a work stoppage. An ucapped year? Even with the restrictions, we could vastly upgrade the offensive line.

Posted by: ChairmanD | August 19, 2009 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Redskins tend to win Super Bowls during strike seasons...I'll take that!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Then again, Jim Zorn is no Joe Gibbs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

But if Snyder wises up and gets Russ Grimm THEN we have a chance!

Russ Grimm for Head Coach in 2010!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Then again, Jim Zorn is no Joe Gibbs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 6:51 AM

Who was the read difference maker that year--Joe Gibbs or Bobby Beathard? Probably both were essential. Russ Grimm and Vinnie Cerrato? I dunno, but Grimm's not going to be HC here. They didn't even interview him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Damn! I hope there will not be a lockout. Brown I am all for Grimm 2010.

Posted by: jm220 | August 19, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Re: the entry on Smoot... got me thinking about our secondary.

Could it be possible that we'll miss Springs a lot more than we thought we would? Part of this is the sinking feeling you get when Belichick snatches up a former player (it means he must have seen something and he generally knows what makes a football team good). But another part is the unease about lack of a pro-bowl caliber veteran presence in the secondary. Yes, he was oft injured, but Springs, I think, was also a leader and a mentor for the younger guys, no? He had to be. Our talent is young now and Smoot is the vet. Hall brings a lot, but he also brings some locker-room baggage..

Anyway, just bringing up a concern I have outside of the O-line, WRs, QB play, linebackers, etc. I have a feeling our D-line will be beastly and our secondary will take a step back -- we'll be 4th or 5th or worse...I guess I'm so used to being let down that I'm not expecting our D, collectively, to take a step forward.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and why.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 19, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

well what should I do with my time ...

Zorn is a dead man walking the Oline will prevent him from staying , we need a oline that will match the dline if so redskins could be very potent for 4-5 years .

cowler in DC in 2010 you read it here first

Coach- New Carrollton,Md

Posted by: terryreece | August 19, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:02 AM

And I know Grimm won't be here. It's just a slap in the face that eveyone else in the league considers this guy a solid HC candidate and the team the played and coached for won't even give him a sniff of interest. One of a hundred reasons it's hard being a Skins fan...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 7:25 AM

Everyone else in the league? Huh? He's been on the market for a couple of years and has only had one interview for HC and he lost that job.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

eveyone else in the league considers this guy a solid HC candidate

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 7:25 AM

Here are the 15 teams that have hired new HC's in the last two years. None of them interviewed Grimm:

Atlanta Falcons
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks
St. Louis Rams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Redskins

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Here's t-e, getting all uppity with his facts and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 19, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Then again, Jim Zorn is no Joe Gibbs...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 6:51 AM

I watched Joe Gibbs, I grew up with Joe Gibbs, I knew Joe Gibbs, and you Mr. Zorn are no Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: scottmando | August 19, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and why.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 19, 2009 7:24 AM

We will miss him. He is good at what he does, when he is healthy enough to do it. But at his salary, he was a bad gamble for us. Too much money for too few games. Belichick hired him at a much lower salary. If he plays 16 (or more) games then he's a steal. If he plays his usual 8-10, then he's a thief. Pats have the cap to take the chance, but the 'Skins don't.

Anyway, you can't get younger without letting old players go.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

cowler in DC in 2010 you read it here first

Posted by: terryreece | August 19, 2009 7:24 AM

A) I didn't read it here first. In fact, you're pretty late to that party.

B) Cowher wouldn't work for Snyder...he's a Marty disciple and after the way he got hosed here he would never willingly step into this mess. The safe bet is one of the available Super Bowl winning coaches with the WCO background (Gruden, Shanahan, or Holmgren).

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Here's t-e, getting all uppity with his facts and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 19, 2009 7:52 AM

I always strive to help the occasional factually-challenged poster up here. But do they ever say "Thank you, t_e!"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:35 AM

I seem to remember him being some people's short lists. Whether that was speculation on the media's part or they ended up going in another direction, he's still considered a legit head coach prospect. If the Steelers liked him, that should say something.

And nobody was looking at Mike Tomlin when he got interviewed by the Steelers either. Doesn't make him any less of a find.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

he's a Marty disciple and after the way he got hosed here...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 7:59 AM

Isn't Marty the one who fired Russ Grimm?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

"Who was the read difference maker that year--Joe Gibbs or Bobby Beathard? Probably both were essential...."
Posted by: talent_evaluator
"It was the tandem. You can't call one guy more important than the other because neither guy could do it alone. posted by brownwood26"

Wasn't Charlie Casserly the guy who scouted and signed all the replacement players?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I dunno. Somehow I just don't see it happenin.

Sure, Gene Upshaw isn't around, but it's not like there's much else going on that the players will reject a reasonable offer, even if the split is owner slanted.

I'm sure they'll still come in above the UFL. And that's the only other game in town. The league has shown enough savy to appease the worker (player) and still turn a healthy profit.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm saving up bonus points, in the event of a blog stoppage.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 7:35 AM

I seem to remember him being some people's short lists.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 8:10 AM

Whose short lists? Short lists are the ones that get interviews. Maybe you mean their long lists?

In any event I was wrong. He's been interviewed for two head coaching jobs and turned down for both of them -- Chicago and Pittsburgh. Plus, Marty fired him in DC. You're just wrong when you say "eveyone else in the league considers this guy a solid HC candidate."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

no more zorn,bring on grimm

Posted by: DLESMonday | August 19, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 8:30 AM

You can be considered a solid HC candidate and not get hired, you know. People have been projecting the same of Mike Singletary dating back to his days as an assistant with the Ravens. He bounced around a bit, interviewed a couple times and got a job a few years later.

So stop thinking Grimm isn't a good HC prospect because the Skins didn't interview him. If anything, that makes him MORE appealing to other teams...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

season #2 hasn't even started yet, under Coach Zorn, and yet people can't wait for him to get canned, and a new guy brought in....ufb....I'd be willing to bet these same people will then EVISCERATE Snyder for going through so many coach's.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 8:43 AM

Let's see. The guy had two interviews for head coach and got turned down both times. 15 other teams had openings for head coach in the last two years. None of them interviewed him. But, in your world, he's more appealing because the 'Skins didn't interview him? Well, then he should have had interviews for every opening this past year.

You're bizarre. What about the guys that the Skins interviewed when they hired Zorn? Mora. Caldwell. Spagnoulo. Ryan. Haven't they been hired as head coaches? By your logic, no one should have interviewed them because the 'Skins are the kiss of death.

There are plenty of reasons to hate on the 'Skins and you've listed most of them at one time or another. But this one you're trying to sell is just pure 'tard.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Ok, we're talkin' HC then.

I'm not a Zorn fan (I don't know how you could be) for some pretty serious and documented reasons. Gametime mistakes, player relations mistakes, roster management mistakes, to start with. Then there's my whole dislike for the outdated West Coast offense.

But I do see a need for a fledgeling coarch to have some time to develop. If you're bringing in an established guy with his staff and method, even then he'll need one to three drafts to establish himself. A rookie coarch, it would stand to reason, would need even more time & leeway.

That being said, if you don't like the direction you're headed as an FO, you're always better off cutting bait than fishing in a deadpool. Zorn will be gone after this season if he does not produce at least two playoff wins. And that's probably right.

Do it now, Zorny. You probably won't get another chance here.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 8:48 AM

Damn right I will! He f-ed up by hiring Zorn to begin with! There were plenty of much better choices if you wanna go the rookie head coach route and Zorn wasn't even on the list, much less high on it.

And did we REALLY expect this guy to do well? Did we forget he was basically the only guy (other than the embarrassingly desperate Jim Fassel) that even wanted the gig?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Can you elaborate on this??

Player relations mistakes? Roster Management mistakes??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

As far as Farve, I see him falling off toward the end of the season like last year, maybe sooner. He is a year older after all, and his arm is probably nowhere near 100%. Actually I'm sick of Farve and his flip flopping year in and year out.

Can't this guy find something to do with himself after football? Football is not something you can do forever; guess he can't accept that.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 18, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse
72, if someone wold pay you $12 mil, wouldn't you come back also. Don't blame Favre. I know I would take the $.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 19, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 19, 2009 8:57 AM

Get a damn clue...I said that tongue in cheek. If you didn't get that you're dumber than I give you credit for.

And I can't believe you're even taking this to task. Grimm has been an assistant head coach on two Super Bowl teams in the last 4 years. He helped change the losing culture that permeated the Cardinal franchise. He played the game at a high level, which always gives you additional cred in the locker room. It's a no-brainer he eventually gets a shot as a head coach.

But I forgot who I'm talking to...the guy who loves to argue for the sake of arguing.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

thanks brown, that just confirms to me that if zorn gets fired, you'll then turn on snyder for running through so many coach's.

Firing Zorn most likely means gutting the roster, and starting over at places like qb for example, and implementing a new offensive system.

makes sense....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Player relations mistakes?
There are other examples but the most obvious is CPo.

Roster Management mistakes??
Zorn is on record stating he DID NOT WANT an upgraded offensive line BEFORE the draft... Is that NOT the most glaring problem on this team? Buffalo is STARTING the two tackles they drafted. I don't have a problem w/ Orakpo as a player, but they are possibly throwing away this season for getting him.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Lest we get too down on Zorn, may I remind the anti-Zorners that he inherited a team that had been beat up emotionally from the loss of ST, had just replaced its HC, OC AND DC, and had holes or depth issues at safety, DT, WR, LB, and all across the O-line.

A word that never gets mentioned around here is, 'rebuilding', and Zorn has - like it or not - been stuck with a rebuilding process that Gibbs never quite got around to.

Our window for winning with Jansen, Kendall, Brunell, Springs, Washington, and Thrash was over. Truth is, it was probably never fully open, but that's another discussion.

So, from a rebuilding perspective, is the team we are fielding now better than when Zorn came in? I believe it is. Our WR group seems poised to improve. Our O-line is younger and has some depth, even if not improved. Our D line is now a strength. Our safety position has been adequately filled. In other words, each of the major positions are better than when Zorn arrived.

I think that everyone gets so spoiled by the 'one piece away from glory' mentality that they underestimate the amount of work (and re-work) that this team needed. You have to give credit to either Zorn or Cerrato for the overhaul. I'm going with Zorn.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 19, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

makes sense....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2009 9:06 AM

I'm pretty sure Snyder doesn't need a coaching change to do that...whether Zorn is here or not that's gonna happen in two years anyway. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Someone please tell me I'm wrong and why.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | August 19, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

There's no reason to think that Springs' absence will cause the secondary's performance to decline significantly. In fact, there's reason to believe that the pass defense as a whole will be appreciable better. First, Springs only played in a little over half the 'Skins' games last year, and the pass d was still pretty good in the seven games that he missed, even with little or no pass rush. This season, with Haynesworth drawing double-teaming and collapsing the pocket, the other D-linemen singled up, and Orakpo charging from the outside, the 'Skins should be able to generate more pressure without blitzing, allowing them to drop seven guys into coverage. Even with Orakpo's possible deficiencies in coverage as he learns the linebacker position, the pass d should be better, not worse, than it was last year. Second, I don't think that he'll be missed in the locker room as much as you seem to think. There are other veterans on that defense and in the secondary that can pick up the mantle of leadership.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 19, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

How is the oline sucking Zorn's fault?? I need to stop reading this blog man. All the people that post on here are morons.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 19, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse