Who Is The "Realist" Redskin Of Them All?

Kind of hard to quantify this kind of thing, I know, but thought I would take a shot. Marcus Washington, Mike Sellers, James Thrash and a whole bunch of guys come to mind, but I might have to go with Rock here. How about you?

He changed positions and his entire body type for them when Gibbs came in (and the fullback position was scrapped, only to return two years later with the arrival of Al Saunders). He is well liked by all segments of the locker room and the few times they let him actually carry the ball, he's delivered (the big game against St. Louis a few years back). He had not even close to enough carries to qualify the rushing average title in 2005, but did lead the NFL with 7 yards per rush or something like that.

Of course, he also put the ball on the ground a few times, too, but that's part of his charm. He is the ultimate Everyman, who manages to squeeze every bit of talent from his body. Was chatting with him in the parking lot the other day when I realized, "Holy Bleep, this dude is exactly the same height as me." I mean exactly. And I am 5-6 on a very good day.

He returns the ball like a madman, showing no regard for his well being whatsoever. And while guys like Jason Campbell and Rocky McIntosh get a lot of pub for all the hours they spend around the facility - and rightfully so- Cartwright is there a ton, too. Hardly an offday goes by when I am out at The Park and don't run into him.

Want to know his big plans for the next 5 weeks while the players are off? Go to Redskins Park about 5 days a week and workout.

Rock is also one of the few long-term Skins contributors around yet to get paid. I heard the team began they last negotiations with him a few years back with a mind-numbingly low signing bonus offer to him, and they eventually got a deal done anyway. Rock is entering the final year of that deal and figures he will have to bust his hump in a big way to get any kind of deal significantly over the veteran minimums.

Now, you look back at the kind of hefty money they gave Chad Morton a few years back, and how little he provided, and you know in the back of Rock's mind he must be wondering what the heck he will have to do to ever get something close to that. He's changed agents recently - moving over to The Shark, Rosenhaus, a move I can't say I love - and badly wants to be a Redskin For Life, even despite all the chaos and losing during his time here.

I hope they take care of him at some point. Guys like Rock generally have the most minute of real earning windows, and trust me, you wouldn't want any part of what he does to bring that paycheck home every Sunday. That is a crazy way to make a living.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 19, 2007; 6:30 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: LaVar Arrington's Motorcycle Accident (UPDATED 6th TIME)
Next: LaVar Update (Kinda)

Comments

HA

Posted by: Kevin | June 19, 2007 6:52 AM | Report abuse

As much as he has done and had to put up with, I sure hope he gets paid a little better this time around. The guy HUSTLES! He's a Redskin alright.

Posted by: Fred | June 19, 2007 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with Rock J-La. You would think for all the talk of crazy money around here they could find enough to pay the guy just once for leaving everything on the field every time he plays.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Come on JM, Buck, Nate, ChrisL - spill the beans on last night's NYC meet-up.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:02 AM | Report abuse

It should be "realEst" Jasno.

Posted by: Pedant | June 19, 2007 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Time, wind, and water
Takes toll on the toughest soul
Still, Rock stands tall. Hail!

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Come on guys, only 21 posts per hour.....

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

(Voice of a damsel in distress)

Oh HaikuMan, is that really you? Where have you been?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat Chris Larry walked around all night yelling he was wearing girl panties.

We had a great time and they all are really cool. CL had this hot lady come over and talk with him. Nate really does have a thing for panties. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Just 21 posts per hour....

Every hour....

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a lot of fun JM. So how was it being the only sober one by the end of the evening?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Just 21 posts per hour....

Every hour....

For 82 days....

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Morning sun brings poems;
Saving the world fills the Day;
Night falls, Haiku rests.

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Jason,

Uh, no one, including Rock, would agree with your statement that putting the ball on the ground is "part of the charm." It's a serious problem in the NFL.

I also don't agree that Rock isn't paid well. What is the veteran minimum now? It's nearly half a million per year. How many years will you have to work to earn that much money? Hell, that's even more money than Paul Wolfowitz's squeeze was making for not working at the World Bank.

Rock doesn't earn more than the veteran minimum because no other team is willing to pay him more than that. There are a lot of guys like him in the NFL.

That said, your premise is right: Rock is a "Real Redskin" -- a fan favorite and a locker room presence that everyone wants to see do well. He's a hard worker and, through putting in the effort, an overachiever.

Posted by: KK | June 19, 2007 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Trust me, 90% of the people on this board would give their big toe to have the athethic ability to suit up for the Redskins each and every Sunday, whether it be for the minimum or not.

Posted by: CVille | June 19, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Rock's spot may be in jeopardy with the addition of Blaylock. If they keep both, that means the Skins will lose depth in other areas, esp. if they plan on keeping most or all of those DBs.

Posted by: Baller4Life | June 19, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

But how would you feel if that career was over pretty much by the time you pass 30? Everyone looks at how much these guys earn per year, but not so much at the fact that they are done by the time most of us have just got going in life.

For the guys that earn big money that's not such a problem, but what about the guys like Rock who aren't 'stars'? What do they do when they finish - coach, maybe? Trying to make that money last 40 years+, possibly with dodgy knees or whatever doesn't seem like such a bargain.

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 8:12 AM | Report abuse

It should be "realEst" Jasno.

Posted by: Pedant | June 19, 2007 07:04 AM

True, Cart Rocks the Skins

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 8:12 AM | Report abuse

It should be "realEst" Jasno.

Posted by: Pedant | June 19, 2007 07:04 AM

Cart does Rock the Skins,
Yet "realist" honor not true:
Hail, Hank Kissinger!

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Betrayed by Firefox!
Draft haiku posted early.
Collector's item!

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Realest Redskin to me: Chris Cooley.

Posted by: nyskinsfan | June 19, 2007 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Rock is a Redskin hero.
A true overachiever!
Welcome back Haiku.

Posted by: Redcoat as HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

1. jm220 really is as big as advertised.

2. Nate in the PDX really is as sociable and funny as he seems on the board.

3. chris larry really does say "F that" a lot. And he has one of the louder voices I think I've heard here in NYC. Cuts right through the room.

The night was a lot of fun, as my hangover can attest.

And cL really did have a very attractive lady approach him while we were all hanging out at the bar. She didn't just talk to him, she consciously DID NOT talk to the rest of us too. It was very funny.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | June 19, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Paging Chris Larry. Paging Chris Larry.

Paging Nate. Paging Nate.

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

THE LENGTH AND FORM OF ENGLISH HAIKU

Today, many bilingual poets and translators in the mainstream North American haiku scene agree that something in the vicinity of 11 English syllables is a suitable approximation of 17 Japanese syllables, in order to convey about the same amount of information as well as the brevity and the fragmented quality found in Japanese haiku. As to the form, some American poets advocate writing in 3-5-3 syllables or 2-3-2 accented beats. While rigid structuring can be accomplished in 5-7-5 haiku with relative ease due to a greater degree of freedom provided by the extra syllables, such structuring in shorter haiku will have the effect of imposing much more stringent rules on English haiku than on Japanese haiku, thereby severely limiting its potential.

What say you Haiku? 5-7-5 or 3-5-3?

Posted by: Redcoat as Loco | June 19, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

LMGO! That is so true.

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Last reported sighting of Chris Larry...

yo b^..tches just getting home wasted from Nate, buck town, JM220, CHRIS larry meet-up in NY freakin city..... had way too many jamisons....lots of stories...cant share any witn ypu..suffice it to say this maerried lard ass got the miOst interest from the ladies...OKRA B&..TCHES
!

Posted by: ch | June 19, 2007 01:50 AM

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat LMGO! Do you think Mrs. CL is ever going to let him out again?

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I am mad hungover.......

Yo blog peeps its true....I was EASILY the fattest, ugliest dude at the table, and JM220 is truly a physique beast BUT this hot 22 year old babe totaly was ridin' my jock until her loser date had to basically drag her back to the table. Pretty hysterical.....she was crazy vapid though wow....

The night was a blast, people were sp much like their blog personas.....except damn I always thought JM220 was a man.....when he showed up in a dress that was a shocker....

Posted by: chris Larry | June 19, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If he was that bad on the blog, G*d knows what he was like to talk to! It must have been very quiet over breakfast in the CL family today.

Come on CL, where are you?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

LMGO!!! CL no doubt it was a great time last night. It was really funny watching her jock you and her date was sitting at the bar.

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

It really was a fun night, cool to meet new meet new people, so bored of my friends hahaha...

But it was weird, you actually do realize you know more about people than you think from these new fangled communication methods.....after the first few minutes of obvious akwardness it was totally normal, we had penty to talk about, and you actually felt like you knew eachother...

Posted by: chRis larry | June 19, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Who knew okra was such a powerful aphrodisiac?

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | June 19, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

keep it comin boys. where TF is nate? did you guys make sure he got to his room okay? someone know his hotel? let's all call his room!

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I was preety hammered by the end, but I never got to crazy....

Oh and yeah I am very loud sober or drunk but I am sure the 10 Jamisons on the rocks turned up the volume.

My wife goes out WAYYYY more than I do so she can't say crap to me! She was partying with Duran Duran last night, so who know she may have frenched Simon La Bon!

Posted by: cHRis larry | June 19, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh and yeah...

I am calling OUT CLINTON HILL!!!!!! What you can't make it out???? To comfortable in your cush hipster Brooklyn love nest to come knock back a few belts, chomp on animal bones and talk sports/babes/blog!?!?!?!

Weak my brother WEAK!

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Chaps.

Now that the Saints have released the "Beer Man" who was a big time returned 4-5 years ago. We're going to sign him to a 6 year, 30 mil deal with 10 mil bonus.

Rock is done, and he sells poison milk to school kids.

-Karl S.

Posted by: Andyman | June 19, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree with KK. I love the Rock, but you almost managed to turn me AGAINST him this morning.

First, Rock's fumbling is definitely not part of his charm. That fumble on the road against the Chiefs in 2005 was death. The Skins were driving in a tie game around the 30 yard-line and Rock fumbled and it was returned all the way for a touchdown. Decidedly uncharming.

Second, this talk of Rock "getting paid" is absurd. He is lucky to be on roster at all as the hustle, tough, team guy that you correctly point out he is. You want the Skins to give some fat contract with guaranteed money to a third-string fullback/halfback with a fumbling problem? I think not.

And, BTW, Rock is scheduled to receive the leaguge minimum for a player of his experience of $600,000 this year which places him no doubt in the top 1% of income earners in the United States. So he is amply compensated for his efforts.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | June 19, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

As much as I am a cooley fan, he has to be with the team a little longer to be the "Realist" Redskin. Thrash, well his 2 best years were in Philly. Rock, has been here from his first year. I do wish he would go back to wearing no 40 and playing FB a bit, if only to get him on the field from time to time. But he is what a return man should be, a 31 ton steam roller. Nothing against Randel El's style but I like a guy who will run at the man trying to hit him, not away.

Posted by: 35332 | June 19, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Tuthill and others,

I couldn't agree more. Rock is a solid teams guy, a great locker room guy, but still nothing more than a 3rd/4th back who clearly has a fumbling problem. You can find those guys for half as much in the 5th round of the draft.

I don't blame the guy for wanting Morton money, but that is the Redskins fault for being so stupid. If Rock wants that kind of cash, let him go get it.

If the Skins ever paid him over the minimum, I would be even more convinced that Gibbs and company make decisions with their hearts and not their heads, which is a no-no in professional sports.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | June 19, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Next time, next time.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | June 19, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Rock has already beaten the odds, lasted longer thus made more than 99% of the other 7th rounders taken his year. Love'm but just like the rest its all temporary.moss, portis, cooley, jansen samuels,springs,... yes even campbell one day will be gone replaced by someone else you love or hate for a time.... root for the uniforms.

Posted by: Old School | June 19, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

What about Mike Sellers? Who is going to say anything bad about that man?

Posted by: Sean | June 19, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Gotta agree with you that Rock is "real", but I light up each and every time I read/hear something about JC, this guy is for REAL!!!

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | June 19, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Something juicy to talk about:

A league source tells Pro Football Talk that there is already talk in league circles that former Steelers coach Bill Cowher is planning his potential return to the NFL. Per the source, Cowher already has spoken with multiple teams about filling a potential vacancy in 2008. The source also says that one of Cowher's demands will be full control over the football operations. The teams, the source says, are believed to be the Browns, Redskins, and Panthers. Another league source confirms that Cowher has had at least one private discussion with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder about the possibility of replacing Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs, if Gibbs calls it quits after the 2007 season.

Posted by: Rob | June 19, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Sean. Sellers goes out every Sunday and lays the wood on people. Talk about sacrificing yourself for the team...

Posted by: CC | June 19, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Rock is a true Redskin... He's does whatever is asked of him to the best of his ability. He was great last year on Special Teams and always seem to be productive when he's called upon to carry the ball out of the backfield. I think they should have used him more when Portis went down last season. They should have played him instead Duckett... But I guess they had to try an justify that stupid move... I thought Duckett was a solid back prior to going to DC, but he showed absolutely nothing... He seemed so slow getting out of the backfield... Glad he's gone. Anyhow - Rock deserves more than the veteran minmum... I hope he has another big year, that would be great for the team and hoefully he would get his due in the offseason.

Posted by: E in VB | June 19, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Hard to pick just one. Thrash, Rock, and Sellers are probably the three that come to mind.

Posted by: JamesTuthill | June 19, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So true old school. That is why we made a little fuss about neon deion being a skin, we still did not protest those games or not root, did we?

F the cowboys. Time to bring back the 70's and 80's rivalry. 05 we did well with that. Last year we split. Time to get back to Sweeping those punks. New head coach, never did anything, Romo for a sophmore slump? TO a ticking timebomb? Gonna be a good season for the NFC BEAST!!

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

The Rock reminds me of old school back up Keith Griffin. Short, strong, tough, SP teams beast, bad fumbling problem......

Griffin overcame his issues and actually started some games.....

The Rocks fumbling issues are huge, he has absolutely killed us (as has Betts...) in games. I think he would get way more carries if he hadn't had those problems....I think Gibbs gave hime a pretty solid shot and he just kept putting it on the ground...

I do love him as KR

Posted by: CHRis larry | June 19, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

If Cowher comes in as rumored kiss continuity goodbye, and say hellow t square one. You think that the coaching staff would stick around and fall in line behind Cowher down't get me wrong that scowling chin has a good reputation but so did a person by the name of Gibbs.

Posted by: stick75 | June 19, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat--

Their playing careers may be over by the time they're thirty, but by then they should have saved more money than most of us will ever see in a lifetime.

Then -- poor slobs -- they have to earn a living like the rest of us? Man, that must be tough. It's amazing that anyone who's not earning Shawn Springs money is willing to play in the NFL.

Mabye I'm too cold hearted, but I can't work up pity for guys earning the NFL veteran minimums. It's a lot of money.

Posted by: KK | June 19, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Very true KK;

They should not live like rock stars and should save their money so they can retire when they are done playing football. I know its gotta be hard to save that when you could be living it up.

SO if they do live it up, then need to find a real job, they need to suck it up. But I am all for the NFLPA going after better health benefits for retirees.

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's not forget Richie Redskin!!

Posted by: David | June 19, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd go with the Rock, or Thrash. Thrash came back to the 'skins and guts it out every year.

Sellers is indeed a beast and very valuable, but I can't ignore the alleged spitting incident, which is shameful.

Posted by: Flizzo | June 19, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, whose investments in a theme park and a hamburger chain already had a 1950s flavor, today completed a nostalgic trifecta with the purchase of the American Bandstand franchise made famous by aging entertainer Dick Clark.

Snyder, whose RedZone Capital private equity firm has assembled an expanding set of entertainment-oriented investments, announced this morning that it had purchased Dick Clark Productions, Inc. for $175 million.

Along with Bandstand, Snyder gets a host of other endeavors controlled by Clark -- including the perennial New Year's Rockin' Eve broadcast from Times Square, the Golden Globes awards show, the American Music Awards, and the Academy of Country Music Awards.

Today's purchase gives Snyder ownership of the 877 hour-long episodes of American Bandstand that Clark hosted between 1957 and 1989, an iconic show in which Clark and America music learned that a danceable beat could include the Sugar Hill Gang as well as Eddy Arnold.

In a press release, Snyder's company described the show as "the soundtrack of life for generations of Americans" -- at least for those who came of age before MTV and digital music diminished the influence of broadcasting networks and the recording industry over popular taste.

"Dick Clark Productions is responsible for some of the most enduring brands in entertainment," said Snyder, who will take over as chairman of the company. "This was a rare opportunity to acquire a powerhouse portfolio and grow it in new directions."

In the company press release, Clark, 77, is quoted as saying the deal had his "full support," although there was no description of his future role with the company he founded in 1957 as Bandstand's dapper host. Clark's company was publicly traded in 2002 when it was purchased for $140 million by a private investment group.

Terry Bateman, former chief marketing officer for the Redskins, will take over as chief executive of Dick Clark Productions.

The purchase fits with Snyder's expanding move into the entertainment industry, broadly defined. In the past two years he has taken over the Six Flags theme park chain, a publicly traded company which is taking a 40 percent interest in the Dick Clark venture.

He owns a group of local radio stations, and earlier this year purchased the Johnny Rockets restaurant chain, a franchise that features 1950s-style nickel jukeboxes and servers who dance and sing.

He has also invested in actor Tom Cruise's production company and recruited Hollywood heavyweights to the board of Six Flags.

The Redskins, Snyder's chief business focus until he established RedZone Capital in 2004 and branched into the private equity world, is considered among the most profitable sports franchised in the United States.

Joining him on the board of Dick Clark Productions will be local homebuilder Dwight Schar, a minority investor in the Redskins and a partner of Snyder's in RedZone Capital.

"

Posted by: 4th | June 19, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"The source also says that one of Cowher's demands will be full control over the football operations."

Why do all these coaches want full control? It rarely ever works out and who needs that added stress...

Posted by: JoeyV | June 19, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

4th--

Fascinating! It'll be interesting to see how he puts it all together so that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. You can still buy stock in Six Flags if you want to get rich like/with Snyder.

Zebra--

Agree strongly with you on the health benefits. I don't think it will be long before it happens. This is just too embarrassing to the NFL at a time when the league is flush.

Posted by: KK | June 19, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Realest Redskin?

As a realist myself, I vote for Jon Jansen.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Well said, JoeyV.

Coaches have a horrible track record as personnel guys.

I like Cowher, but I couldn't handle bringing in an entire new regime and making the last three years totally pointless (from a system standpoint).

Also no coaches as GMs, I don't care who the coach is.

Posted by: Clinton Hill | June 19, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

thanks 4th! that boy (dannY) over pays for EVERYTHING!

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I am to hungover to pick this fight again, but KK and others I really could not disaggree with you more for a number of reasons. Its real easy to paternally chastise these dudes, but the harsh realities of how the system chews up these guys and spits them out is heartbreaking, not to mention tied to boat loads of social/economic/educational/societal issues and now the data about health/brain trauma they scrifice is frightening.

I am going to stop now, b/c I cant make points that well....and I am sure I will get a slew of "Boo Hoo for these guys, I would sacrifice my toe to play NFL football, get a job" style responses...

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

it's now 11AM EDT and no word from Nate.

is it time for a search party?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

dealer;

he might overpays, but he always gets a return on his BUSINESS investments. Now if he would only stop trying to make nfl players payoff like his business ventures, we just might get somewhere.

So chris Larry, dont want to hurt your brain anymore, but chewing them up and spitting them out? They chose this, they know the way it is and they get paid handsomely to do so. I dont cry for the garabe man, having to do that stinky job, I dont want it even if they do get paid a lot more than I do.

End Communication

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I am giddy as a schoolgirl over the return of 'KuMan. On to 100k! Or, to infinity! And beyond!

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Make that garbage man. You alcohol fumes got me catching a contact!

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Make that garbage man. You alcohol fumes got me catching a contact!

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 11:07 AM

LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I have heard from Nate on email...

Also Redskin Willie I heard some stories...I wanna party with you!

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Zebra lets agree to disagree, although I will say I couldn't disagree with you more.....but oh well....

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Nice to hear about the "social" in NYC for the blog peeps. Since nobody changed their name or left town, it must have been a mild affair.

Two interesting pieces in today's sports pages, especially if you juxtapose them. The first is the general concern, which we all share, for LaVar's recovery. The second is today's NFL seminars on concussions. What makes juxtaposition of these articles interesting? We express concern for obvious physical injuries, but as a people we still don't seem to perceive the depth or permanence of mind damage, which is what any brain injury is.

I am no JM220 in physique, but I am in good shape, especially for 54 hard ridden years. I do risk physical injury in some of my passtimes (climbing and whitewater), but N-O-T-H-I-N-G frightens me as much as a head injury. I mean, like me or not, my mind is who I am, not my pretty face or handsome bod (ok I never wash my mirror). Because we can't perceive a mind broken by injury as readily as we can perceive a broken bone, we players, coaches, and fans seem to behave dismissively toward head injuries.

In fact, NFL football celebrates the kind of hits that lead to serious head injury. And we fans celebrate the NFL! Don't mis-understand me, please. I am an equal fan of NFL play. I relish the major hits, especially when the levelee is a NFL east opponent. I am as bad as anybody.

That's why we need closer monitoring, stricter rules, and dogged enforcement. We do have an obligation to protect the players who entertain us from the delight we take in the brutal game they play. The players are NOT gladiators whose lives have no value; they are NOT warriors who must risk all for our safety. They are simply MEN who work hard to play a game we have chosen to support with our money.

OK, soapbox yielded.

Posted by: Neil in Durango | June 19, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Darrell Green. When you come up with someone that can hold a candle to his character, personality, and accomplishments on and off the field, then we can start to have a discussion.
Otherwise, this is just a version of "What's your favorite kind of Wonder Bread?", or "What section of WalMart has the highest quality products?".

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 19, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

CL, well said even when you're hungover you express yourself better than i ever could.

i was going to say the same thing. yeah these guys make $600K a year but the average is 2-4 years i think so that's like $2-3 mil. that's it! that's nothing if you don't have the education or REAL family support to fall back on ... also uncle sam isn't too generous either...he be taking 40% of that salary...

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

yes, cheers for 'Ku's return! hope you're staying a while brother...

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

CL, thanks for the Nate update.

I am honored to have been mentioned at the gala last night and am more than willing to sacrifice a few million (more) brain cells to the cause of partying in burgundy and gold.

Is Nate cool, or what?

He's a welcome addition to one of America's truly great cities.

The next six weeks or so until training camp starts will provide the true test for the blog. It could get ugly.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Drove past the scene of Lavar's wreck on the way to work this morning... big a$$ dent in the guardrail. Hope that was from the bike, and not his body.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 19, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Cload,

In the WaPo poll, Darrell Green outran John Riggins as the all time favorite 'Skins player.
I believe Jasno's question referred to current players.
I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I love the Rock! And I hope they will do everything they can to give him a great new contract.

Posted by: Lisa | June 19, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

If getting Cowher means Vinny will be 100% gone... heck, pay the guy 400 billion for all I care.

But we all know that one of the terms will be that Bill must play nicely with Vinny, because Vinny plays racquetball with Daddy and fetches him his lunch.

I wish Danny would open his eyes on the circus leader Vinny. I mean, even if he could open them to 1/2 the size of that bug eyed freak, he'd be able to see what a detriment he's been to this team.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | June 19, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

zebra, i know you're in africa et all but c'mon dude...seriously...i thought you were joking about that stuff. aren't you from ummerica?

ever since they were kids they were groomed to do one thing and one thing only. play football. you think the NFL farm system aka NCAA cares about how these kids do when they don't have football? we're talking about billions of dollars here. they don't give a shti about these kids. and when the get a phat contract...they do with the money the only thing they know to. SPEND IT.

that's what i did. after i got my first cab i was more in debt than i ever was. i didn't know how to save. you don't learn to save until you have money. unless of course you get hooked on to oprah. but my maama didn't have time to watch oprah or to learn to save. she was too busy working 2 shifts...

dig?

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

2 shifts...i lost my train of thought...meant to say "double shifts"...like tupac said "i love you maama"

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I see Jasno's post as an advertisement for NOT cutting Rock over Blaylock's arrival. I have to agree, I hope that we don't lose him-- he's a true Redskin and a great returner. Maybe there is a nice back-up spot at FB for him.

I have to say though-- Mike Sellers, for me, in the realest Redskin, as some of others have said. I know he spent some time in Cleveland and the CFL, but seriously-- his story is great for starters (coming from a community college and having to really fight to get to the NFL)-- and still, he is by far one of the most underrated fullbacks and Redskins in my humble opinion. He shoulda been in the pro-bowl last year.

HAIL

Posted by: TDawg | June 19, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

i'm not saying feel sorry for these kids but maan! don't just say they deserve what they get. we're talking about under 25 kids here. do you rember when you were in your 20's? i do. and i was an idiot. i thought i had it all figured out. didn't have to listen to anyone and could do whatever i wanted. cuz i was finally an "adult".

so take a 20 some year old kid, give him millions of dollars (or 100,000's), with leeches(sp) cuz you can't leave your boys NOW that you got paid, ... c'mon man...

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Realist Redskin?

Wow, that's a toughie and you would think it shouldn't be. :/

My vote is Joe Bugel. I don't think any of the current players understand what it means to be a "Redskin."

Seems like for the last 15 years all anyone wants to do is get paid when they come here....with one exception: Ledel Betts.

Anyway, Joe Bugle gets my vote.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | June 19, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

for me rock doesn't even come close to Mike Sellers and James Thrash. if you pressed me to chose between these two i'd say Mike Sellers.

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Dealer,

You can't have it both ways. First you claim they're not paid enough, then you claim that because they're young and don't know what to do with money that they're paid too much. If they're as dumb as you say they are, then why pay them more? What's your solution? Pay them a lot but withhold their pay until they've retired?

These guys are golden. They have a free college education followed by a few, or several years, of oversized salary. This is a head start that most people, including you and me, don't get in life. These are the elite. It doesn't get much better than this, and you want us to feel sorry for them because they squander their opportunities?

Posted by: KK | June 19, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

all this info probly goes in one ear and out the other when the young players hear it

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

KK, DUDE! who said anything about them being dumb man? c'mon man...

and i never said they don't get paid enough. i think they're paid just fine.
i'm 30+ give me 600K now and i'll make sure you never have to work again the rest of your life.

most of the problem lies at the NCAA level.

what i'm saying is that these kids aren't ready to handle that much money. so no, that don't mean let the MAN get even more rich off of them by not paying them and holding their pay interest free for 10 years. i'm saying that our education system (again mainly at the college level) failed these kids. and we as a society should correct that system.

free education? i think you have that confused with Playing for free. they're playing for no money while their colleges make millions of dollars off of them.

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

High noon, and the blog is still Nateless

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, aside from a few e-mails with the NYC RI gang, I let myself get busy with Work and am only now catching up with the blog.

I guess the question is, given his small body of work, what does Mookie have to do to unseat Rock in that third back/return specialist role? It would be a bit of a surprise if they both make the roster.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Realist Redskin:

Sellers.

I still can't believe we gave up 3rd and 4th round picks for Duckett when we 1) we had Betts and b) had "core Redskins" like Rock and Duckett, whom Gibbs loves, ready to take on an increased workload. Somebody had to have talked Gibbs into that one.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | June 19, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Exactly KK;

Dealer, look, they can spend it all they want. Great, fine, but Im not going to cry when they have to go out and get some sort of job to make up for it. ANd the fact that they have a talent that is in high demand... profile! Aikman is great in the booth, Grimm is great on the sidelines.

I just saying, they go in with more opportunity, and they come out with more opportunity then I will ever have, even if they do squander their fortune. The price? Their bodies, which I would probably give for those dollars as well.

So yeah, I dont blame them for getting caught up in the blingy life style, but they will have to do something when they get out of the sport. Consequences.

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

And for what it's worth, my vote is for Mike Freaking Sellers.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Love Sellers. But I gotta throw a vote in for Jansen, homegrown product. A side note, check out B Lloyd's reaction to this:

You've got to know this is a joke, what is dude thinking?

Posted by: k Squared | June 19, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

KK,

The salaries not oversized if the market bears them which it does. The industry can pay it because it making 100 fold the return. Its about scale not some universal scale of whats "right". Thats capitalism 101.

Your points are valid in the narrow view, but in a larger contect of sports in society I think they lose some of your "These guys are golden" luster.

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Where are we on the doggone 'who shot LR' investigation???

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

another obviously gratuitous post to welcome Nate to the festivities.

mike sellers is a good choice, no doubt. a human battering ram who gives cornerbacks nightmares and knocks lb's on their a$$es.

can we get back to throwin' this beast some swing passes in the red zone?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The NY blog peeps are awesome, by the way.

What encapsulates the evening for me was chris Larry and jm220 sharing a chop salad. I think I can speak for Bucktown in saying it was a beautiful moment.

My head sort of hurts.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I love Jason and his reporting but let me also point out that if the Redskins ever did give a rich contract to a role player like Rock who is a kr, third-string half-back, maybe second-string full-back (as they did Chad Morton), Jason would be the first one to chastise the front office for their lavish, irresponsible spending.

He would say, "Do you think the Patriots pay real money for these type of players? Do you think the Ravens pay real money for these type of players. You can find these guys in the later rounds of any draft. That is how the good teams with good gms do it."

And he would be right . . .

Posted by: JamesTuthill | June 19, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, one thing to note is that I handed jm220 a check for $50, representing the proceeds from blog-related tee shirt sales at http://www.cafepress.com/redskinsinsider

The donation is going to Habitat for Humanity New Orleans, to be hand-delivered by jm220 in a few weeks when he goes down there to volunteer.

Thanks very much to everybody who bought shirts. There are a lot of you! This may seem like a small gesture, but it means a lot.

HAIL!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

J, can you confirm that the coaches told LaVar to take a car but that he went off and did his own thing anyways?

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | June 19, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Props to you Nate and you jm220 for doing your part.

Is there still a way to get the proceeds to jm before he goes down?

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Z, I'll donate any future proceeds from tee shirt store purchases -- and I would love to get some new designs up there if anybody has some fresh ideas or images etc. -- directly to NOLA/Gulf charities.

This was largely ceremonial, giving jm220 a check, but I wanted to do it since I can't make the volunteering trip to NOLA myself.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Nate please describe "sharing". The visual I get is of a huge forearm/bicep inter-twined with a hairy/flabby arm while feeding each other. just threw up in my mouth much more than a little.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I think it has to be Rock because that dude does whatever is asked of him. He's the ultimate team guy. First man down to make the tackle on special teams. I'll never forget when he returned the kick for the TD against dallas and then, on the subsequent kickoff, made the tackle. He's involved in the community and the Governor saw him in Georgetown.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | June 19, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well; I do have an image. Can I send it to your email account? You all are much better at coming up with slogans and the like.

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

And why do we have to pick the realist? If any of our rookies emulates either four of these guys, then better for them.

Jansens broken thumbs
Rocks unwavering loyalty
Sellers come back and subsequent success
Thrashs quiet contributions

All of those equal REDSKIN

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Jansens broken thumbs
Rocks unwavering loyalty
Sellers come back and subsequent success
Thrashs quiet contributions

All of those equal REDSKIN

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Damn loseable type, I mean, yea! one more til 100k!!

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

LMGO! Nate I forgot about that. Since CL always giving me a hard time about my diet. Does that count as a point for me? lol

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a different oddsmaker than the one that was up last week, no?

ODDSMAKERS AT BETUS.COM POSTED THE FOLLOWING ODDS ON WHO WILL WIN SUPER BOWL XLII:

To Win Super Bowl XLII

Green Bay Packers: 55/1
Houston Texans: 100/1
Tennessee Titans: 60/1
San Francisco 49ers: 25/1
New Orleans Saints: 18/1

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

jm220- That depends if you ate the ham, or made cL pick out the pieces one by one.

Posted by: 4-12 | June 19, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

yer more than welcome SMACK i missed ya

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 01:56 AM

Uhhh, is there something fishy going on here?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I love Thrash and Sellers and Rock and Jansen. But how about Portis? Dude runs, blocks, catches.....remember that block...sorry, those blocks he was throwing out last year on Moss' TD down the field? He never stopped until Moss was in the endzone. The way he made the tackle in preseason that ultimately led to his shoulder injury? The guy plays balls out every play and is seemingly afraid of nothing. All that and he makes us laugh too, dressing up as various hilarious characters. I think he at least deserves consideration.

Posted by: WrongDog | June 19, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

4-12 there was no ham in there. So that is a point for me CL. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

There was no Ham....believe me JM220 gave it a full investigation.....That chopped salad was good actually....

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Is this a Real World episode or a Redskins blog, screw NYC, how about some skins news.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"One of my fave moments of the nite was JM220 almost decking the waiter when he brought him a glass of tapp water...."

True story. I SEEN HIM!

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | June 19, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Another gutsy anon post, at least have a name if your gonna be an azz.....

Skins news on June 18th: They cut the grass at the practice feild today, Rocky Mac worked on his leg press, and Weird Al added page 701 to his playbook.

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

quick! gimme 600K and i'll give you...(600000*50) $30 mil. in february. now that's how you stay rich!

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

This is the first time in about a month that I have had a chance to read all the comments in a post. Work life and home life have been very busy. I must say I do enjoy reading this blog - especially the side bars like the NYC get-together.

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | June 19, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there any news about Arrington? Is he still in the hospital? Do we know which bones were broken?

Posted by: KK | June 19, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I know I missed the event due to circumstances beyond my control, but a chop salad? Is that legal? There must be rules about that.

Posted by: connskins | June 19, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

No update yet on Arrington....

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

seriously jm220? chop salad?

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

No it was a twizzlers salad. LMGO! You guys really need to lighten up.

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

i wonder what's on that 701st page...hmmmmmmmm...my guesses:

Notes:
1. Do NOT trust mark brunell with the playbook.

OR

rabach (C) snaps to ARE (WR), and lateral pass to CP(RB) and then CP throws a bomb down the sidelines to JC (QB)

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

So this is what we know so far: jm220 is tall, dark and built, Chris larry is white, fat and avg height, so what is nate and bucktown?

Posted by: CC | June 19, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

40 gut, thats what on page 701. That is now the only running play in the playbook

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Snyder just bought the rights to one of Dick Clark's blooper shows I am sure the 2007 Redskin losing season will provide the show with plenty of footage.

Posted by: vaherder | June 19, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Get it right vaherder.

It was American Bandstand!

Posted by: Zebra | June 19, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Geez, I went on vacation for a week, couldn't access the blog and I missed the festivities. My loss, apparently. Although it sounds like a net gain re my brain cells. I'm with connskins on the chopped salad unless they chopped a steak up in it. What was the venue?

Posted by: Mad Dog | June 19, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Blue Smoke on 27th street.

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Excellent choice. Upstairs or down?

Posted by: Mad Dog | June 19, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I fully support Chris Larry and JM220 in the sharing of the chop salad. However, smack to the back of JM's noodle for eschewing NYC tap water. It's fine stuff. I've drunk it for years. Sure, you have to occasionally remove the medical waste and break out in mysterious rashes, but it tastes just fine.

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

LMGO! Good one Cindy

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Isn't $175m too much for that franchise? I mean, really? I know Daniel Snyder owns Fort Knox, but I haven't watched Dick Clark on New Year's Eve in ... ever.

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Mad Dog, upstairs. No jazz for us last night (although I've been before and it's a quality night).

We then went to some vacant watering hole called Maker's where there was a birthday party for a guy and his friends. I couldn't get past the fact that it looked like it might have been his 16th birthday. Oh well... gotta love NYC.

Oh, that's when cL let his PIMP flag fly. Truly impressive.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | June 19, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Danny bought the Dick Clark franchise just to see if there really is a portait in the attic...

Posted by: cload and daggar | June 19, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

However, smack to the back of JM's noodle for eschewing NYC tap water.

HAA HAA HAA wooooo LMGO!

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

i think we've spoiled danny. he thinks everything can be stink-proof like the skins fan-base.

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the shabingus factor was high in NYC (but no arrests).

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

It is a lot of content and it can be used for Six Flags -- a different version of Paul Allen's music project?

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Realest Redskin: Ethan "the ginge" Albright

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | June 19, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

For the record:

I am short, white and lets say husky, not fat...

And on a related note I had a chopped salad as a lead in to BBQ sampler of 6 spare ribs, smoked sausage, half a chx, and pulled pork and slaw.....plus many Jamisons on the rocks and NYC tap water...so hardly a wimpy meal!

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

you forgot the F and the hot young lady that was talking with you.

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry,

That sounds a bit defensive. You're not clear yet. What was the dressing on the chopped salad? Blue cheese or lite raspberry vinaigrette, on the side?

Posted by: KK | June 19, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Nate is 2 times as gregarious as you would have thought he was, Bucktown was rockin the thrift store skins T and restated his love for all things Wolverine. We learned that Bucktown has been shot at close range in paintball as well, that JMM20 went to HS with Leslie Shepard, that Nate went strawberry picking in Bucktown GF's home town and that JM220 has one weakness....

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't give a F if you call him festively plump... he was the only dude with the hot young thing jocking him last night.

Do your thing cL.

Me, you asked? I'd be a pretty good sized safety in the NFL, I'd say.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | June 19, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

CL, remember before you tell what the weakness is. I know what you look like and have the hammer in hand. LMGO

Posted by: jm220 | June 19, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I believe it was a vinergrette with crumbled blue cheese in the salad....sadly no okra....

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Festively plump....i like that....

Bucktown did have a token white strong safety look....

JM220's weakness.......................twizlers.........oh no his rep is ruined.....he admitted he might have one on even numbered saturday, and then only instead of a real healthy cry....

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, lets change the team name to the Washington Rottweilers and put a bitey dog pic on the helmet!

Posted by: Portis for Realest! | June 19, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sellars has always struck me as the biggest realist of the team. Everyone else drinks the proverbial Kool-Aid and predicts home field advantage in the playoffs before the first OTA.

Posted by: Meast Infection | June 19, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I would say the realest Skin is Samuels, but Jansen takes a very close second.

Posted by: gethanr13 | June 19, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"A little more than a year after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges for his role in the Vikings' infamous boat party in October 2005, Fred Smoot told a Washington newspaper "nothing happened on that boat." Smoot, who was released by the Vikings in March following two disappointing seasons, discussed the incident in an interview that appeared Monday in the Washington Times. The veteran cornerback has re-signed with the Redskins, the team he left to join the Vikings. Smoot attempted to downplay his role in the incident that occurred during the Vikings' bye week that season and resulted in an investigation when employees on Lake Minnetonka charter boats reported guests received lap dances and sex acts were performed in the open. "I wasn't the organizer," said Smoot, who pled guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct and was ordered to perform 48 hours of community service and pay $2,000 in fines. "I was the new guy. I was along for the ride. The media took the four guys with the biggest contracts -- me, Daunte Culpepper, Bryant McKinnie and Moe Williams -- and blew the story out of proportion." Smoot was a bit off in his calculations, considering Williams, a backup running back, had a base salary of $665,000 that season."

Posted by: 4th via Minnesota | June 19, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Rock Cartwright
James Thrash
Jon Jansen
Mike Sellers

What about?
Chris Samuels
Marcus Washington
Sean Taylor
Cedric Golston
Chris Cooley
Clinton Portis
Mark Brunell

I'm not sure how you define "realist".

Darrell Green, Art Monk, Chris Hanburger, Dave Butts, Charley Taylor, Sonny Jergenson.

All of those guys are legends, you can't hold every player to those calibers.

I think having a guy like Rock Cartwright being your guy indicates the poor state of affairs of the franchise. Rock is a good guy and ultimately gives all he's got, but he's a third string rb, avg Return guy, and very good special teamer - not somebody that represents the best skin.

My vote goes for Chris Samuels, he's been around awhile and goes to the pro bowl frequently. I would like to see him get a SB ring, he deserves it. Next bet, would be Jon Jansen. He deserves pro bowl status and ditto on the sb thing. Its still sad, I have to pick two offensive tackles for this post.

Posted by: Hburg | June 19, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"2. Bountiful backfield in Washington

Redskins fans searching for positives this season need to focus first on a rushing offense that should be even stronger than in 2006, when it ranked fourth in the NFL. That's because offensive coordinator Al Saunders has spent the offseason deciding how best to use running backs Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts.

Although Portis missed eight games last season because of shoulder and hand injuries, his absence allowed Betts to enjoy a breakout season (1,154 yards in nine starts) and gave Saunders reason to be optimistic about the 2007 campaign.

"Having those two guys will give us a lot of flexibility," Saunders said. "It's comparable to the situation we had in Kansas City when we had Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson. This offense is built around the running back, and we're definitely not going to be one-dimensional."

Saunders was especially complimentary of Betts, who he calls a three-dimensional back because of his skills as a runner, receiver and blocker. Saunders isn't quite sure how he'll involve both backs, but he plans to make the most of their talents. He added that the only thing he worries about is the health of both players (Portis, the expected starter, already has been held out of offseason workouts as he recovered from hand surgery). If they can stay on the field, they can ease the pressure on young quarterback Jason Campbell and help a defense that must improve drastically."

Posted by: 4th via espn.com | June 19, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

We were a motley crue last night, to be sure. But what fun it was. chris Larry was a trouper -- the man put his diet on hold just so he could join me in gobbling down ribs, pork BBQ, sausage, etc. while jm220 at the meager veggie offering.

Mad Dog, next time in NYC, dude!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Zebra, send me whatever tee shirt thingy you have, whenever you get a chance, at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com. We'll figure something out. Shipping your shirt to Africa might cost ya. Thanks in advance, dude.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Bleeeaaaagh.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

So the short, festively plump wingman had the young hottie on his jock?

Posted by: 4-12 | June 19, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"Cindy, just wait 'til Larry Michael becomes the voice and face of New Year's Eve."

Or Tom Cruise... blech!

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | June 19, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

And the descriptor that leapt to mind for chris Larry overall was 'Belushi-esque.' (Not Jim.) Brash, funny, provocative, but deep down a really likeable guy. Yeah, a little on the larger side, but the dude's on a diet, so back off.

(To be clear, it's not like he's holed up at Chateau Marmont doing coke off a hooker's bare bottom; chris Larry is working over at the museum, educating the people.)

Bucktown's 1987 Skins championship tee shirt was excellent. Nice, understated dude, but I hope he gives Clinton Hill a good razzing for standing us up.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

And that was a really cute girl who was fawning over chris Larry. Cute as the dickens.

It was funny at first, and then interesting, but got a little tiresome. I mean, she was like monopolizing the guy's time. Fortunately for us, she eventually broke things off. Nothing that would be difficult to explain to Mrs. Larry.

And it was Monday night. These dudes came out for dinner and drinks on a Monday night! jm220 came all the way from Deep Jersey! How cool is that? The magic of the blog.

HAIL

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Chris L bags 'hotty'
JM has twizzler secret
RI in NY!

Posted by: Redcoat as HaikuMan's poor relation | June 19, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Nate,
It sounds like it was almost a perfect evening.

(I thought you said you were going out to take them all out to play paint ball later...? You know, a team building event.)

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I kept thinking about that description of how Landry got shot and how it sounded familiar.

At last I figured it out.

Who would have thought that the Skins secondary were such fans of Tarantino?

Posted by: Redcoat | June 19, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Trench Warfare

Liam Smilie (Metalliam)
WarpathInsiders.com Jun 16, 2007

A quick look at the strength of the Offensive Lines the Redskins will face in 2007.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. It's as simple as that in the minds of many Redskins fans. A recent article by Gregg Rosenthal over at Rotoworld.com had the Redskins Offensive Line ranked 7th overall - happy times:

7. Redskins (5) - Great run blockers. Will the rest of the offense come together? Consider that some Redskins observers thought Derrick Dockery, he of the $18.5 million guaranteed from the Bills, was their fifth-best lineman. With veteran savvy at almost every position, this group risks getting old. But I think they have one big year left. Santana Moss and Jason Campbell could be seriously undervalued because of it.

Link

To put a Redskins spin on this, here's our schedule, combined with their OL rankings according to Rosenthal:

Dolphins (30)
@ Bucs (26)
Bills (28)
Bears (12)
@ Giants (15)
@Vikings (8)
Cowboys (22)

The smarty pants will have no doubt realized that I've color coded our schedule, with the teams in Green being ranked 20th or lower, and the teams in Red being top ten O-lines.

You will notice that there's a lot more games against teams with poor lines than there is games against teams with good ones - almost half (7 games) of our schedule is played against teams with an OL ranked 20th or worse. Only four games will be played against teams whose OL is ranked in the top 10.

Our 5-11 finish in 2006 netted us games against the Bucs and Cardinals - both have OL's ranked in the bottom 10. On the flip side, the NFC East Champion Eagles must face the Saints and Seahawks, with lines ranked 11th and 10th respectively.

If Rosenthal's rankings prove true, our much-criticized Defensive Line may just be getting the helping hand it needs. With a (fingers crossed) healthy Griffin, developing Golston, healthy (fingers still crossed) Daniels, and the Andre Carter we saw towards the end of last year, our DL isn't half as bad as people think. It may not be able to manhandle the weak OL's we're set to face as the Panthers or Jaguars could, but it will be good enough to allow Gregg Williams to run his new 'D' however he sees fit. Griffin & Co. will benefit greatly from playing against lines that will still be in the gelling stage (e.g. Bills), those getting used to a new line coach (e.g. Cardinals) and those that are just flat out bad (e.g. Dolphins).

At least, that'll be the hope. The pessimists out there will no doubt fear that one of the better Redskins OL's in recent memory will be wasted by a weak DL. One thing is for sure - Greg Blache will be working our lads on the line hard to ensure they aren't the weak link. A word of caution, however - if the Redskins Defensive Line play does improve in 2007, it shouldn't be assumed that the problems we saw last year are fixed. A more successful 2007 will likely mean a tougher 2008 for an aging unit. The helping hand that's been offered to our boys on the DL for 2007 may not be extended so readily in 2008.

Story URL: http://redskins.scout.com/2/652190.html

"

Posted by: 4th via Scout.com | June 19, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

For the record:

1. I did not start conversation with said hotty
2. No flirting on my part.
3. She was young and attention starved and her date seemed like a huge bore.
4. I did not encourage her in anyway
5. VERY happily married
6. Can dude help it if he has animal magnitism?

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Def no bagging....for the record and even off the record....all on the up and up....told my wife the funny story...

Lonely dudes try this tip: Say "okra" loudly in not so crowded bar...

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Great work 4th.

I happen to think the DL play will be better this year because of improvements at LB and DB. A rising tide raises all ships (or something like that).

With improved play on offense the D will stay fresh and won't have to spend all that time on the field.

One Question: How do we beat the Eagles? What's their Achilles heal?

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Ok...I'm a little late but Jm220 and Chris Larry shared a chop salad???? Interesting...

Again, at the risk of sounding like a dumb blonde, what exactly is a "chop salad"? I've heard of tossed, house, and caesar salads but not chop.

Posted by: Lisa | June 19, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Chopped salad is just when they give the ingrediants a good chopping so the salad is in more bite sized chunks. Easier fork engineering. Maybe a NYC thing. Most salad bar places up here will chop it for you. Its the bomb....

And to protect my rep as carnivore I had mad helpings of meat post salad...

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Here's how the NY Post reported last nite's RI blogger's meeting:

"chris Larry was 'Belushi-esque"; holed up at Chateau Marmont doing coke off a hooker's bare bottom" according to fellow blogger Nate (inthePDX).

all it takes is a little creative editing and the Will to do so.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Ok too much salad talk from me today...

My realist redskin vote has got to be Iron Mike Sellers. The dude learned the error of his ways after leaving, came back, has been beast, plays a ton of positions, secret weapon on goal line, loves dirty work....

Posted by: chris larry | June 19, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Chris Larry. That's good to know...I like salads but usually avoid them due to the life-size pieces of lettuce.

Posted by: Lisa | June 19, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Before I leave.....

Nate - How can you post 'from the PDX' in NY? And, you are not from the PDX, you've only been there a few years. You're from VA currentlly residing in the PDX, but currently working in the NYC.

Posted by: 4th | June 19, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

What's the issue here?

Posted by: Nate in the NYC | June 19, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I mis-heard the name of the menu item as 'chop salad,' which in retrospect was silly even for me because it doesn't make a lick of sense. 'Chopped salad' is the correct name.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

It's just like 4th Floor via Home Floor... you stick with the name and adjust as needed.

I hope you remain 4th Floor even if your new gig is on a differently numbered floor.

Because the name on the front of the jersey is more important than... um

Posted by: Nate in the NYC | June 19, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

yeah.

what Nate said.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 19, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see some kudos shown to Rock. Me like him very much. There is no one most realist Redskins, methinks there are several most realist Redskins.

Posted by: charlie | June 19, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

nate,

When you post out-of-town, you should sign Nate from the PDX.

Posted by: charlie | June 19, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the NYC via the PDX from the NoVA-

On the stick with the name and adjust as needed front, I look forward to the '07 season moniker "4-12 cowboys"

Posted by: 4-12 | June 19, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Since Coach Joe's return we've been grappling with the elusive notion of 'core Redskins.' It's a slippery thing. It's not pernicious, but it's kind of a puzzle. (There's no question Rock, Sellers and Thrash are that kind of guy.)

So what does it mean? Is it just a throwaway notion, a conceit randomly tossed around, or does it mean something?

Throw the damn ball to Sellers in the red zone, is all I'm sayin'.

Posted by: Nate from VA, via PDX and NYC | June 19, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

4-12, I look forward to the unveiling of your new moniker after our fifth win of the season, in week nine or ten (there's a bye week in there somewhere).

Posted by: Just Nate | June 19, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

So Jason's not going to the WAFL Bowl this weekend. Who's the stringer over there covering the game?

And who shot LR? We need to know!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

The stringer is a Washington Post news aide who is on leave, Alex Baldinger.
Today, btw, was media day at the World Bowl!!!!!

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

And on the LaRon thing; no journalistic license. We need confirmation from 2 (or is it 3?) sources.

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I love Rock' but I'd put Sellars ahead of him, with Marcus Washington second. All three are beasts.

Posted by: sicwidit | June 19, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't help asking... what on earth does media day at the World Bowl consist of? Any ideas, Cindy?

I'll hazard a guess that hearing about everything around the World Bowl would be more interesting than hearing about the game itself. What kind of people attend, what the Euro media makes of it, the parties, die Lederhosen, etc.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 19, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

so CL gave JM220 a tossed salad? nice

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

In other RI news:
I'll have some Soup to go with my salad.

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Danny bought out American Bandstand or something ridiculous like that.

Cue the circus music... oh wait, it's already been playing now for 8 years.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | June 19, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Is this the Martha Stewart hour or a redskins blog? How about some skins news. Screw NYC.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

This just in (some real insider news):

So my dad's barber is a former Redskin Cheerleader. She happened to be golfing on Monday with Jason Campbell, Mark Brunell, and another skin (who's name he didn't catch). Anyway, it turns out that Brunell thinks he will either be cut or traded and has asked Gibbs to give him a heads-up asap as his daughter is starting school soon, so he dosn't want to be in the middle of a move during her schooling. Also, Gibbs feels like Danny is going to fire him if there is no SuperBowl this year. Jasno - heard anything to this effect on either issue?

Posted by: 4skins | June 19, 2007 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I gotta say betts. For a guy that probably could have made alot more money to test the free agency, I think he said alot when he decided to stay a redskin.

Posted by: peter | June 19, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

peter,
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Aside from the hassles, disturbances and distractions of changing teams. I'm betting he either didn't like the teams that might be interested in signing him, or that his chances for a ring are as good here as elsewhere.

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Ask Culpepper.

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

"Brunell and traded in the same sentence is funny. Who would trade anything for a broken down qb?"

Well, if I'm the Detroit Lions and my backups to John Kitna are a guy named Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton, a guy named Brunell may be worth a 6th rounder or a guy from the practice squad.

Posted by: 4skins | June 19, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings might trade for Brunnell-- their situation is ROUGH.

Did anyone catch ESPN gushing about Campbell today?

Oh yeah, and Mike Sellers is the realest skin of 'em all. I said it once, but i'll say it again-- Thrash is def honorable mention.

Posted by: TDawg | June 19, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

And tell me again why Sellers beats out Rock, who broke Brian Mitchell single season kick return record as the REalist Redskin?

TDawg, wha happened on the ESPN, you say they're selling Soup?

Posted by: Stumped | June 19, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

4skins, that's just a weird picture...a cheerleader+brunell...foursome on a golf course. that's just strange.

and danny's made it perfectly clear that he wants a winner this year by saying that they'll win the nfc east.

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Kitna threw for 4,000 yards last year. How many did candy arm Brunell throw for? KC had to hold out for weeks just to get a 5th for Trent Green.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 19, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

WR McCardell considering return to NFL with Redskins

I wonder where this came from? do we not have enough depth?

Posted by: Mike | June 19, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

McCardell thingie smells like Toddler Insurance to me. (toddler being B Lloyd)

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

honestly why do people think that skins have too many WR's? all we got is ONE, UNO (often) hurt NFL WR. who happens to be really good. that's it. on the other side of him last year was the toddler, still in his terrible two's.

they need a posession receiver man. if they use cooley for that. i'm all for it. but he didn't have a good year last year at TE.

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 11:07 AM

For you, my great love,
I ne'er did departed this place;
Just look in your heart.

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

awweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee'ku! wow...that is impressive. cindy must be blushing like crazy.

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Ah, 'Ku, you RULE!
As for media day at the World Bowl....the mind reels..

Posted by: Cindy | June 19, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

sorry cindy...didn't meant to comment before you did...'thought you might be sleeping already...

i'm so sick of being on the computer...i need a break and to brake...

Posted by: dealer | June 19, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

What say you Haiku? 5-7-5 or 3-5-3?

Posted by: Redcoat as Loco | June 19, 2007 08:41 AM

Redcoat, sir!
Three-five-three too short.
Complex thoughts....

...are a vortex that spiral beyond the random limitations of strict constructionist literati. Poetic verisimilitude creates a demand for imagery not easily contained. Brevity has, of course, a beauty all its own. The power of single word perfectly placed cannot be denied. Yet extremism finds self-satisfied sport playing the horrific, odoriferous bane of fresh, crisp rationality. Let us not, therefore, bow down to the cultural relativism and transparent myopic myth of the three-five-three haiku. Embrace five-seven-five as the right and proper form of the grand Japanese expression of emotion and nature and, as such....

Slow summer current
Stills the mind; silently lurks
Off-season madness!

Posted by: HaikuMan | June 19, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit i'm jealous of all the fun everyone had in new york and on the pub crawls. Anyone else on this blog in Chicago? Maybe we can get something started here

Posted by: Dante | June 19, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

If the Danny Boy gets the 'big time coach' itch again, we're doomed. Go get Grimm and a strong GM, and the Skins would be set for as long as Grimm, GM X, Campbell-Landry, etc. are here. Sure, Danny would make a big splash with Cowher, but COACHING AIN'T THE PROBLEM. Snyder may not have matured as an owner that he needs to, which IS the team's real issue.

Posted by: adinasi | June 19, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I'll ante up on any poety ... as Johnny said to the devil "I'm the best that's ever been!"

Seeking her enchantments, from surging tide upon golden fleece is he laid,
A tortured soul by lascivious dreams now enslaved!
Burning embrace of flame, fulcrum of passion 'neath translucent gown,
Surging dorsal parting Her foaming drape of ancient renown.

On the topic of Rock. Again this is the perfect example of Joe Gibbs kind of guy. If he can't pay him its because of Danny and his pal Vinnie and their bizarre fetish for players who talk big but deliver little ... but I digress ...

Chill winds twist me against my will,
Within twisted branches kept am I still.
Entrapped in dark pasts I did not desire,
Until the moon drapes my funeral pyre.

No wyrdling oaks! Seek not my heart!
For has it not chosen to depart?

Posted by: periculum | June 20, 2007 1:37 AM | Report abuse

Finally, I might agree with the notion of Grimm as coach as long he has the right mentor ...

President Joe Jackson Gibbs. A true Redskin head coach.

Grimm has been polluted and diluted up in Steeler country.

Posted by: periculum | June 20, 2007 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Dont know if anyone caught this from 4skins... but something seems amiss.

So my dad's barber is a former Redskin Cheerleader. SHE happened to be golfing on Monday with Jason Campbell, Mark Brunell, and another skin (who's name HE didn't catch).

Could be a typo, but with the name this person chose, the name others use to ridicule our team... I call shabingus

Posted by: Zebra | June 20, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Just git me the damn ball!!!

Posted by: Sellers in the Red Zone | June 20, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Last, yeehaa!

Posted by: Anonymous | June 20, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Year after year, James Thrash is one of the toughest, hardest working, most underestimated and most valuable Redskins. He goes all-out on every single play, and he seems to be effective on more than his share of plays. He gets my vote.

Posted by: Ken Dixon | June 27, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse