Who Will Go to Make Room for Hall?

Assuming DeAngelo Hall passes his physical Saturday, which looks like a mere formality, the Redskins will have to make a roster move. To me the most logical move would be to place rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly on the injured reserve list, since he has not been able to do anything this season.

The Redskins had told Kelly they would give him another week to make any decision on his status and see if he can practice next week, but they could expedite that. They would ultimately need to add a WR at some point, but could buy some time.

With Shawn Springs able to play safety, the Skins could release recently signed safety Mike Green. Green has played well, but is an older guy who likely could be re-acquired if need be, especially since he was out so long recovering from injury before signing here last month. Rather than risk losing a bubble rookie like Rob Jackson or Justin Tryon or Kareem Moore, the Skins could part with Green.

(Spoke with people close to most of the depth rookies - Tryon, Moore, Jackson - who said that, as of this evening, none of them had been informed he was being released. The team could still be deliberating...but it could be they do something else).

They could also opt to release RB Shaun Alexander, though there is no guarantee Ladell Betts will be back for the Dallas game, and could need a week or two after that.

If it's me, I'm doing the Kelly thing, because I don't think you can remotely count on those knees or his production at this time, and I'd sign a WR from the practice squad or re-sign Anthony Mix for depth at receiver later next week, or sometime soon after that (like once Betts is definitely back, I release Alexander and sign a WR then).

What would you do?

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 7, 2008; 4:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fines From Monday Night
Next: Vote: Hall Joins the Redskins

Comments

FUHYRST

Posted by: NewYorkBaller | November 7, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Kelly... it's Kelly...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 7, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmich001 | November 7, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

How could it not be Kelly? If we're making a signing like this, it's because we're serious about making a push THIS season and playing into January. That means not having the luxury of getting Kelly into some games just to see what he's got... Thomas has been in there out of necessity, so we at least can expect him to be getting in to some kind of groove. But Kelly... with seven weeks to go I think the clock has run out on his season.

Though now that I think of it, maybe they'd rather wait and see how he feels next week...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 7, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

keep kelly. drop moore. missed punt block assignment (steelers), missed blitz assignment (rams)

move kelly to IR after the bye (cause lets be real. his knee is not coming back)

bring in another WR. not mix though. didnt do anything while he was here.

Posted by: scottherbert5 | November 7, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"I would release Mike Green. Then if Malcolm does not work out, put him on IR and sign a reciever. Release Shaun Alexander when Betts gets back.

Posted by: jmich001 | November 7, 2008 4:54 PM "

that's about it

Look what happened to what's-his-name at the Giants, he's ready to play now but he's on IR. And you know if the coaching staff has given Kelly this long with no production, they must be really pumped about this guy. Release Green, we can get him back if Kelly doesn't work out in a week or two and we have to IR Kelly.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | November 7, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Tryon! I mean at least Green and Alexander have seen the field this season. IR Kelly if and when you sign a vet WR.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 7, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

release alexander. you got hall now for return duties if need be. and make cartwright #2 until betts comes back.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 7, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Man, I wish I could afford to throw away 5K because I wanted to wear some different socks. I hope that money goes to something useful.

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | November 7, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually it does. As I understand it, all fines are paid into a fund used to support charities that the NFL supports.

Posted by: frediefritz | November 7, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Drop Green, Keep Kelly and release Alexander once Betts is healthy. There will be almost no cap implications with these moves too.

Posted by: anthonyfkelly | November 7, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

tryon

Posted by: Redskins001 | November 7, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm late but... Hall is still a good corner and return man. He had a lot of balls thrown his way because people don't throw at Nnamdi Asomugha and he got beat a lot because he was playing in a new system. He got cut because Al Davis paid too much up front and got buyer's remorse. The Raiders realized they needed the money they paid Hall to re-sign Asomugha, who may not re-sign because they cut Hall - a move which he and a lot of other Raiders players didn't agree with. This is a good move. It's either a short-term rental at little cost or potentially book end (who can catch) to Rogers. Two thumbs up.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | November 7, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Why do you guys keep trying to push Kelly onto IR?

Have you SEEN our REDZONE OFFENSE? It sucks. That's why JZ is trying to give Kelly every opportunity.

We're in November and December now, also known as Gibbs Country.

You don't win games by kicking field goals. If you didn't know that, then you weren't watching MNF a few days ago.........

Don't listen to JLaC on this one......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 7, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Is this guy going to get to the QB!??

Posted by: JeanJak | November 7, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Cut Portis, he doesn't play hard. Bring back Brian Mitchell, dude has lots of heart and is a great punt returner.

Posted by: NickelsLuvsSkins | November 7, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Put Kelly on IR and let him have that time to completely heal instead of it continuously being a weekly problem. Tremendous depth at DB now, they can mix and match the DB's like a mad scientist. I'm excited!

Posted by: ga8085 | November 7, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Not Green. Would only leave 3 safeties on the roster. Yes, Srings can play safey, but if he's healthy after the bye, he'll be 'stealing that bama TO in the face' with his press man coverage, not back at safety.
I vote for the end of the Erasmus James experiment.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 7, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

got to be tryon. we need springs at corner so green is a no no. would keep hoping on kelly unless he is a defo no-go, which has got to be a poss but only the docs can no. btw, does anyone here drink madeira? nectar of the gods...

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | November 7, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Release alexander. At this point in his career, betts is better anyway...

Posted by: hender_22 | November 7, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

But we might need Kelly in the playoffs..

Posted by: rachel216 | November 7, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

plus de hall straight swap for big-yaps

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | November 7, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

"Srings can play safey"....uh, what's in this coffee?

Posted by: 4-12 | November 7, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

on out of circ numbers from the prior post ... #49 is Bobby Mitchell, who played in the 1960's and was part of the front office for a long time. #42 is probably also out of circulation (not 47) for Charley Taylor. Both Mitchell and Taylor are HOF.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd cut Tryon and sign him to the practice squad if he's better than Westbrook.

Posted by: siris | November 7, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Why do you guys keep trying to push Kelly onto IR?

We're in November and December now, also known as Gibbs Country.

Don't listen to JLaC on this one.
-------------------------------------------

exactly right. if i had to punt my kidneys on it, kelly doesn't make a snap this season - but there must be a chance else the medicos would have him on ice, and when he's fit i think he turns out to be a player

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | November 7, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I think 4-12 called it. Erasmus James just isn't there. We've got some depth if Taylor comes back.

When Kelly goes on IR there will be another WR on the roster within a day. Which means guys coming in for tryouts which means that move is probably obvious ahead of time

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Truth, if you are there, I'd be glad to take your advice to "go back to Houston" yet, I find it quite hard to do so.

You see, I am IN Houston, hence the User ID "JohnDinHouston". So it would be exceedingly difficult to go back to where I am.

On the other hand, I'll be glad to go against REM's advice and go back to Rockville every once in a while.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 7, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Tryon. If they were ready we would not be signing another DB. No one will pick him up and he can compete for a spot next year. Tyron should be encouraged to continue working out and strength training at redskins park. Right now Tyron is too small in upper body. This will satisfy until they can determine if Kelly can make it. The reason for the delay on Kelly is he has shown in practice, if healthy, to be the best back up reciever on the roster. TALENT rises. If he can play, look out, this kid is good and everyone knows he is worth the wait.

Posted by: realityvision | November 7, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

never understood this springs-for-safety schtick. he's made out of balsa wood, and last time i looked tackling was part of the FS spec, no? rogers, springs, hall, smoot - that's depth. plus better PR now - though got to say, although it's return yards we're after, thought ARE had a great game vs the Steelers in terms of safe han(d)s under pressure. PS under/over on taylor sacks?

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | November 7, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

One person on here got the right answer. Erasmus James. He was a reach that no one else wanted. it was a good risk, but he didn't pan out and if you still think he is going to eventually make it, he will be available whenever you want him back, i am thinking that if you release Green, someone else will pick him up as injuries are mounting all over the league and he played very solid when he got in the game the last few weeks.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | November 7, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I'd see if Billy McMullen is healthy. I think he broke a finger in Seattle. If he's good to go, I think I'd sign him.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 7, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

If Kelly isn't going to be trusted enough to contribute this season, put him on IR let him get healthy and sign a WR (Mix) when we make another move in the next couple weeks.

The question is where do we need the extra depth for the playoff push in 6 weeks, not where do we need it today. Secondary needs it, although we should either keep the heavy rotation and bury Torrance there, or use Springs as the nickel/cobra guy so he is on the field most of the time.

If Hall can keep out of trouble and do a decent job, I'd love to see him as the successor to Springs when he leaves/retires. For now, he should be returning punts and playing nickel.

Posted by: dodo1939 | November 7, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

So is Reed Doughty going to the bank once again so DeAngelo can wear #23? If not, what number will the new guy wear? Not 21.

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | November 7, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Cut Torrence. Problem solved. Betts comes back cut Alexander. Put Kelly on IR and bring in Mix. Man you people think way too much.

Posted by: Zornography | November 7, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Good point on Doughty. We can figure out who the next signing is. Just look at Doughty's number and you'll know its a guy from another team who's wearing that number now.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 7, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Cut Tryon and then add him to the practice squad for Hall. Cut Alexander for Betts and Add Mix for the IR'd Kelly. Mix is a good special teams man and I still think for the year he'd make an option at 4th WR that's if he's healthy himself.

Posted by: Berndaddy | November 7, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Fantasitic move to get Hall, I love Dan Snyder! The Skins get a healthy corner to shore up our banged up staff, an upgraded punt returner, and we keep him out of Dallas.

11/16 can't get here soon enough.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | November 7, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Torrence Torrence Torrence CUT HIM PLEASE, put Kelly on IR and re-sign Mix. Torrence is the weakest link and he could lose another game for us.

Posted by: clark202 | November 7, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

As I said this morning, I'm not a fan of this move. That said, I'm going to support this and I hope he works out. This should be interesting.

random: The Brian Urlacher Old Spice commercial is classic.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 7, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Question: Can this cat still return punts? I seem to recall him doing that in Atlanta.

Posted by: bubba13 | November 7, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Has Tryon shown anything in practice? Anything at all? If not, I'm cutting him and putting him on the practice squad.

I'm putting Kelly on IR and adding a WR, either from the practice squad or from available free agents.

I'm giving Alexander another week before cutting him. And we don't need to cut him to make space for Betts -- Betts is already on the roster.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I think we should dump Westbrook off the Practice Squad and move Tryon to that spot. That would free up space for Hall. I really don't see the logic in adding another DB to an already deep position and cutting someone who lines up elsewhere on the field to make room for him. Although, I guess cutting an unproductive DE (Jackson? James?) wouldn't be too bad. We don't move Kelly unless we bring in another WR... you can't afford to let that spot get any thinner.

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | November 7, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Going on the record, not a fan of this move. Hope I'm wrong.
Posted by: zcezcest1

I have to agree with you on that one.
JM220

Me Three.

Posted by: TheCork | November 7, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Post on the Hall signing from the NFC East blog......looks like all the coaches spoke with Hall and several players were consulted before signing him....same as with Jason Taylor.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 7, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

regarding Hall.

If Springs is healthy, I dont' want him at safety against Dallas, I want him on TO.

Failing that, Rogers.

I'm against the deal but only REALLY against it if Hall has a decent half season in a salary drive and the 'skins spend a ton on inking him to a long deal.

Raiders did that and it cost them two picks and a lot of money.

As it is, it looks like he's just a rental for the rest of the year, and could be a force running back punts, or working into the lineup as a nickel.

He SHOULD be on his best behavior with a contender in his area of the country, loking to con someone into another Big Deal.

But then, isn't that what they said about Pacman?

Posted by: TheCork | November 7, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

None of us is positioned to know how James, Tryon, Moore, et al are performing in practice, their attitudes, etc...but if we're to make a semi-educated guess based on what they've done/not done on game day and their supposed potential - I am jumping on the "Cut James" bandwagon. I hate to see him go, what with all the production we've gotten out of him, but it's a business.

He's gotta go. I say give Kelly another week per Z's plan and if not ready for Dallas, he's gotta go on IR and you could easily bring back James. Not that I'd want him back.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 7, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Mikey - madeira? I'm all ears...uh, eyes

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 7, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Zorn et al are ready to give up on Kelly yet. Zorn knows that Kelly can provide a desperately needed weapon (red zone fade/jump ball/back of the endzone at the goal post/posession guy) if they can get and keep him on the field.

I figure it will be Green who is released for many of the reasons you alluded to: He is older, he was sitting around before Redskins gave him the call, and he should be available if you need to regrab him later.

With Springs being able to go at CB/S, that brings flexibility to the secondary...further alleviating any down side to releasing Green.

Redskins are definitely looking to get younger and faster...releasing young fast guys would not be in accordance with that modus. Green is outta here.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 7, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Kelly to IR, Cut Torrence, Re sign Mix.

Posted by: BSVA | November 7, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

torrence is worth keeping; cut james or alexander

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | November 7, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Lose Tryon. If Kelly needs to go to IR, then promote a WR from the practice squad or sign Anthony Mix (didn't know he was available). I think Mike Green played pretty well as a Redskin and he deserves to stick around. Plus, this late in the season it doesn't hurt to keep the veteran talent around. These are they guys who know how to close the deal...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 7, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

...cut SA#37....Deangelo takes #23 & Reed gets #37....

Posted by: bobeaston | November 7, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

torrence is worth keeping; cut james or alexander

Posted by: ColumbiaUSkins | November 7, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

=========================================

Torrence is constantly out of position, he doesn't have the speed to keep up with most of the defenders he checks, and his technique is questionable. He's just another body out there, with Hall we don't need him, we need do need depth at the d-line and the Running Back position. What do you see in Torrence? Does the St. Louis and Detroit games ring a bell?

Posted by: clark202 | November 7, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Great signing for the skins. Hall is a two time pro bowler w/ hands. 20 career ints and a huge upgrade as a pr since 82 likes to go east and west. I say put Carlos Rogers on the IR since he has obvisouly had broken hands since being the 9th pick in the draft ahead of Merriman and Ware. To be serious the whole draft class is a bust w/ one guy contributing and that was the last guy they took in Horton. With that said Kelly to IR, cut Tyron or James and sign Nix. He would be an imediate upgrade over Thomas who appears too dumb to run a 9 route (streak). This guy maybe 6'3" and run a 4.3 40 but he is a Zero when it comes to football IQ.

Posted by: jwcallahan9 | November 7, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Cut Tryon and sign him to the practice squad there isn't anyone in the league that will claim him and if they do, oh well, we lose a fast 4 foot 6 inch corner whose mouth is bigger than his game. Hall, Smoot, Rogers, Springs and Torence is plenty of depth at corner.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 7, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

BRING BACK ANTHONY MIX!!

Posted by: laxpro95 | November 7, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Where is all the Anthony Mix love coming from? Yeah, he's great on special teams, and that counts for something, but he's never caught a pass in a regular season game. Even Malcolm Kelly has better numbers than Mix.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jwcallahan9 | November 7, 2008 7:44 PM |

Help me with this. What has Mix done that makes you think he would be an upgrade?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 7, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I figured Kelly was IR weeks ago, but that'll be good for him, like the Wiz should have forced Gilbert to sit before he redamaged his knee. Erasmus James?? Who's that?? Man, he's been quiet.."The Bee's Knees" and trillions of bees are dyin', wassup..

Posted by: frak | November 7, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Kelly = IR
Alexander = Release
Hall = Punt Return Specialist / Back up CB

Springs would be good as a safety.

Posted by: Brian_P_McConnell | November 7, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Hall is good pickup without giving Oakland anything in return.

I can only judge Green on the one game (Detroit, I believe) where he made five or six tackles -- pretty good for a DB. If he moved ahead of everyone on the roster during his first week in DC to get the playing time, then I would surmise that he is not the low man on the depth chart. I am not sure whether the team can afford to release him given the injuries in the secondary, and expect that he will be available later in the season to reclaim him.

If the team thinks Kelley can contribute down the stretch, given that he gets healthy, then they need to keep him too because the offense has struggled at times this year.

I am not sure how Rob Jackson, Justin Tryon, Kareem Moore or Erasmus James have performed in practice, but the coaching staff should evaluate their performances and their potential and consider letting one of these guys go. If the team is adding another corner to the roster (Hall), I would believe that they have depth in the secondary.

Another option is considering someone else who has not been very productive or has limited potential, or where they have adequate depth and health. And no more shenanigans from the front office like the Derrick Frost and Durant Brooks fiasco that the personnel directors pulled during the preseason.

Posted by: Terminator3 | November 7, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

tryon can go..d'angelo is 24..tryon doesnt have close the talent that d'angelo has..d'angelo juss has to get his head right then he'll be ok as a 3rd corner, possibly starter in the future..TRYON SUCKS AND IS TOO DAMN SMALL...GET OUTTA HERE KIDD, YOU SUCK!

Posted by: ripmeast21 | November 8, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Get rid of Jason Campbell. He can't score points, make anything out of busted plays, and can't read progressions. It is the obvious choice!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: surfum1 | November 8, 2008 4:24 AM | Report abuse

Kelly! Is it too early to say Draft Bust?

Posted by: Philro328 | November 8, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Tryon! That kid never made a single play and is only on the team to pad Cerrato's draft record, which ain't lookin' so good. He got burned consistantly in preseason and showed NADA!

Posted by: shrshot | November 8, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

first we should put kelly on the IR and bring in Devin Aromashodu last year he played 6 games and had 7 catches for 96 yards.

second we should cut mike green to make room for deangelo hall.

then when gets back cut shaun alexander

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | November 8, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Tryon or Kelly, 50/50. CBs take time to develop and we're stacked. Zorn is already giving Thrash and Thomas more play than Gibbs would have. I doubt a recovering rookie like Kelly could out play Mix this year. Why push it?

Posted by: chavez66 | November 8, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I would release Tryon and then pick him back up on the practice squad. Of course this means parting with someone on the practice squad, but it just seems the most logical cut is at the position Hall plays......CB.

Posted by: keino83 | November 8, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I think they should dump Tyron. The guy didn't do a thing in preseason and was toasted when he played. If they can, get him on the practice squad when he clears waiveres.

They need to give Kelly a little more time to see if his knee responds. He's a big talented receiver and Moss et all are just too small for the Red Zone.

Keep James and Jackson at DE. Jackson is a rookie and showed very well in camp and in preseason. James has only played a few years and is just now getting his knee reoovered from a fairly bad injury. He's shown some flash on the pass rush. Carter and Taylor are pretty old and we need some young depth. Chris Wilson is really just a speed rusher and that's all.

Wouldn't cut Kareem Moore either. He as well miss considerable camp time, so I can see why he's made mistakes. However, he showed well and is more of an athlete than Horton so he has real potential.

Mike Green is the other possibility for getting released. Sure he has played well, but I think Springs is a good option and with him continuing to get leg tweaks it's time to move him back.

Posted by: darth_rnc | November 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse