Who's Out as Practice Begins

Jason La Canfora sent in this report, just as practice was beginning:

The following players are not in pads and thus not practicing: Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs, Cornelius Griffin, Jason Taylor and Stephon Heyer.

Pete Kendall is in sweats. He was not listed on the iinjury report but has a history of arthritic knees, so he maybe he is just getting a day off.

Reed Doughty, who has a back injury, does not appear to be out here at all; he could be getting treatment.

Our window in which to watch practice will close soon and Jim Zorn will give an update afterward.

By Cindy Boren  |  October 8, 2008; 1:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: (Hip, Hip) Hooray, Christmas
Next: The Rock Cartwright Special Teams Report

Comments

Flounder - my post makes plenty of sense. You must not be old enough to remember the losses to Dallas back when they were doormats...

And I've seen PLENTY of coverage on how UNDERWHELMING a home field advantage we have now. We used to have one of the loudest stadiums in the league and now you can talk down the line to a reciever from the opposite guard position. Ok, maybe that's hyperbole.. but still...

I forgot about us being favored against Phoenix - so that gives me some consolation. It's just an easy trap. Thankfully, they don't seem to be falling for those this year.

I don't think respect is the issue, rather experience.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 1:35 PM

I am plenty old enough to remember a meaningless game on the way to a superbowl win, plus Dallas was on the way up as proof by what they did over the next 5 years 3 Superbowls.

I want to ask you a question have you ever been to fedEx for a game?

If the anwser is no then never comment about our advantage or disadvantage there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 1:35 PM

Underwhelming... Let me say it again. The people that always talk about how the Skins use to have great home field advantage, harken back to what a "gem" RFK is, etc. You simply are not using common sense. If a team wins, the fans are loud. If a team loses, the fans are not loud, except when they BOO. Now, when the Skins were in RFK, and most on this blog primarily remember the 80's, and watching the team in RFK. There was a whole lot of winning going on. Go back and find film of the years in the 90s after Gibbs was gone and there was a lot of losing. Ugh, RFK. DIK, come up for a game, say in the next two weeks, and tell me how you feel about home field. I promise you the 90K are doing our part when the SKINS D is on the field...

Posted by: Club320 | October 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | October 8, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I think he will have a back injury for the rest of the year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 8, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

So if Guru doesn't like Steins, does that make him a pulitzer worthy writer suddenly?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 1:40 PM |

No. It means his skills are obvious to everyone.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

On the "I could care less" v. "I could not care less" debate ... The level of my caring could be lower than my current level of caring ... The level of my caring could not decrease.

Looks like Nate got it right. Both express strong indifference, but the latter sounds stronger, in that the former indicates that, with additional effort, a lower level of caring could be accomplished.

On the Jansen v. Heyer debate, btwn Leonard Little, Adam Carriker, and Chris Long, we're going to need every swinging soul up here.

On the stay medium v. not stay medium debate, its stay medium by a long shot. Its a long season.

Posted by: dcsween | October 8, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if someone posted this earlier:

Skins finally getting some respect in the power rankings, surging to #3. It actually makes me a bit nervous.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Boy, nothing like a 4 game win streak to get about 6+ new posts a day. Goodness knows what'll happen if we rip off 8-9 in a row.

By the way, is that a complaint???? Not at all....love it !

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

were no 3. not acceptable. not till we are no. -45.857 will i be happy with how were arbitrarily ranked.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

i have a question...everyone is talking 6-1 or 7-1...why not 15-1? what team on their schedule can beat this team? what will it take to beat this team? (other than injuries).

Posted by: dealer1 | October 8, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Ramble On - I was beginning to wonder if I was out on a limb here...

Oh - and since everyone is down w/ tha re-post... at least mine is 'post-beep' hahaha

________________________

If I were alone in saying ANY of this, I'd take your criticisms to heart. But I was just on the elevator w/ 2 Redskins fans (I'm in tha 305, btw) and before I even said anything they basically said the same thing - don't get over confident and don't buy the hype.

As far as defending the over-commercialized soulless supervenue that is RalJohn, I don't need to step in SJK to know that it stinks.

We won against Phoenix - it was still pretty quiet. The physics of the stadium let all the sound out. And you're so far from the action you're no longer interactive.

This is not an indictment of the fans in attendance.

And you most certainly CAN say WE. Coaches, Players and Owners all come and go - but the FANS pay the bills. I have 3 generations of support for this team. My team - the RedSkins.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Just from a purely statistical standpoint there is good reason for kudos for this team. The intangible stuff is even more impressive.

Zorn has this team believing in everything he is doing, and he seems to believe in them just as much.

Such a relationship between players and coaches hasn't really happened here in a very long time.

The players loved Gibbs, but I really think many had reservations about his "game" related coaching. And he certainly had trust issues with them, and said so many times. That stuff means a lot in a team environment.

Posted by: craig2 | October 8, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh - and to re-iterate my record prediction: 11-5

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

if we say 15-1 why not 18-1

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I said it before, and I will say it again:
IF this is a close game, Jim Haslett will coach himself into a loss. This guy is a worse head coach than Buddy Ryan was, and he isn't half the defensive guru. The only thing he has going for him is that he was once a player, and is therefore a "players-coach". He just might get them fired up a bit, but he's about as smart as a former linebacker who got hit in the head way to many times. I don't normally get overconfident about the Skins like this, but this one is in the bag.....even if it turns out to be a close game.
Let Springs sit out until the Cleveland game too......

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 8, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

If we want to win Sunday against the Rams, we have to play our guts out. They will try to rip our hearts out, we have to keep fighting at all times. This team is very dangerous. This could be the most epic regular season game of all-time, the Gods will tune in Sunday to watch this game. Blood, sweat, and tears will decide this game. I don't see how we have any chance of winning this game.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Does the Rams team have a known dirty player to watch for?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

if we say 15-1 why not 18-1

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:09 PM

-------------------

19-1 if you count the Pro Bowl which will have at least 15 guys from this team representing the Skins!

Posted by: Skins1 | October 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:11 PM |

I thought you'd retired and gone back to NASCAR.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Club320 | October 8, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It's true. I've been to games at both RFK and FedEX. When the fans have reason to get going, FedEx is a scary place and louder than RFK (after all it seats about twice as many). But I think it also has to do with fan expectations. As Club320 put it, during RFK in the 80's the SKins were known league-wide to be a consistently dominant powerhouse. So the fans expected the Skins to make plays, blow out an opponent, or comeback in the 2nd half. Sadly in the 90's our fan base got used to seeing the team lose, and we got easily discouraged. We stopped expecting big plays or expecting the team to comeback when it was down. Less expectations, less cheering.

Posted by: p1funk | October 8, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Does the Rams team have a known dirty player to watch for?

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:12 PM

The only thing the Skins have to watch out for is if Leonard Little gets behind the wheel of the injury cart at any point of the day.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

38-2 cause we're going back-to-back as NFC East, NFC, Superbowl, and Pro Bowl champions!!!

HAIL

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Talk radio here in Dallas yesterday...( God, can't believe I live here...) discussed rating the 4 NFC QB's. One host argued that He would take Campbell to start his team...over Romo and LBM.

Thoughts?? Is it too early with not enough consistancy to make that statement?? How would you rank 'em...

For me...Starting a team Right Now...
1. Romo
2. Campbell
3. LBM (Little brother Manning)
4. McNabb ( simply because of age and injuries)

Thoughts?????

Posted by: cej75024 | October 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Campbell and Manning before Homo and that whinning baby McNabb

Posted by: Skins1 | October 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice words about Zorn (and beating Cindy to the punch):

Posted by: tafka | October 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: tafka | October 8, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Architecture wise RFK is designed to amplify the sound of the fans whereas FedEx is not, though I think it was intended to. This is mainly due to the "roof" on RFK, which would allow noise to echo back down towards the field. I remember going to Nationals games at RFK when the top tear in the outfield was near empty but a few people shouting can sound like 100s. If Dan Snyder put something like that on FedEx the stadium would instantly be louder.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 8, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

This is honestly the first time I've ever heard ANYONe maintain RalJohn is a louder stadium. Maybe when you're in the stands... but not on the field.

When they start reporting about missed calls due to the fan volume I'll gladly eat crow.

Again - nothing against the fans - just physics.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I would take JC in a heartbeat. He's more thoughtful with the ball, but just as capable of making plays as Romo when needed.

This team hasn't needed him to be any more than he has been so far this season(efficient and smart with the ball, and let's hope it stays that way) but he has shown that he's capable of keeping up in a shootout too.

Posted by: craig2 | October 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Romo and McNabb are tossups as to who I would want the least. JC or Eli are tossups for who I would want first.

I'd take a younger McNabb over Romo anyday, Romo really isn't THAT good. Definitely not as good as people have made him out to be. He's going on like 8 straight games with a pick thrown. He's consistent at least.

but then you add in his choke factor and his one boneheaded play per game factor, and no thanks. I really wouldn't want him on my team at all.

And yes, I'm probably very biased and looking at this through burgundy glasses but whatever, that's my right!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 2:07 PM
Sorry DIK,
Your Suspect! And dead wrong! The acoustics and the 90K are fantastic. And you if you watched the games this year and say its quiet, then you must be watching in a sports bar where the sound is on the Miami game. When Moss caught the TD, or Horton intercepted the ball to finish the Saints, or when Cooley caught the ball in the flat to ice that game it was very loud. I was there and have been there. You are so off base on this one you need to let it go. In the NFL, you have Qwest, Arrow head (BTW, go there for a game right now and talk about the acoustics!) and after that its up for debate. FED EX rocks when the Skins are playing well. I am done. This link is one of many that talk about the subject. http://www.armchairgm.com/Top_10_Toughest_NFL_Stadiums

Posted by: Club320 | October 8, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah - I was watching the Saints game on TV and I noticed that when Moss caught the pass, you could hear the roar of the crowd START on TV, but then it was like someone turned something down...but the start of the roar was definetely there, as the pass came down, Moss caught it, but once he was in the end zone, you heard very little crowd noise over the audio - So maybe someone's filtering it ... I don't know..

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 8, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, a fan list isn't going to convince me. A timeout by the opposing team in crunch time will.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 8, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and I don't know HOW I noticed that, in that I was busy jumping in the air and knocking drinks, etc., over

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 8, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trade Campbell for Romo and 2 first round picks. Well, MAYBE...but that'd be close. JC is younger, more mobile (marginally), has a stronger arm, and isn't a Hollywood suck-up, choke artist d-bag with a star on his helmet. I don't know why I loathe the man so...oh yea I do. He's a Cowboy.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 8, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skins1 | October 8, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and 8 of them are from our current draft class!

Posted by: frediefritz | October 8, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I thought you'd retired and gone back to NASCAR.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | October 8, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse
That's exactly what I thought.

Posted by: frediefritz | October 8, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse