Why the NFL should bring "Europa" back to the U.S.

Welcome to Day 1 of the Post-Lance Briggs Era ... an era that may or may not be over because, while the talks may or may not be dead, we're not talking Keith Richards's father dead. Hope that clears everything up for you. Frankly, this ain't gonna be over until April 28. Unless, of course, it's over before then. I want to stick my head in a blender...
Of course, if the Ongoing Saga keeps Hamster Nation happy, then I'm jiggy with it, particularly in our quest for 100k comments by Draft Day, a quest that will require 57,269 entries in 24 days. So what's needed is 1) a new string; 2) a new topic; 3) PPTPs; 4) and a guest blog! Without further ado, here's a provocative entry from Andrew Eckert http://www.filmfestivals.com/images/tiff2005galery/images/Aaron%20Eckhart.jpg:

I won't lie. There is something cool about seeing an Amsterdam Admirals "Kurt Warner" jersey while you're walking from one coffee shoppe to another. However, the NFL is dumb to not realize that us fat, lazy, stupid Americans would probably be at least a ittle interested in a spring league here in the states. So, here is my suggestion:
Create eight spring league teams in the United States. Each team is a mix of walk-ons and players allocated from four specific teams in that region. For example, Washington, Baltimore, Philly and Pittsburgh would be a region for one team. This way each team's fanbase can have a team to follow that's at least semi-local. Also, each franchise can really keep an eye on one spring team for their prospects, while just scouting the players on other teams.
There will be an eight-week regular season with four home and four away games. The difference is. Each home game would be in a different "home" stadium. So for the Mid-Atlantic team, the Skins, Ravens, Eagles and Steelers would only have to host one game during the spring. I think even Dan Snyder could live with that. Tickets would be crazy cheap, but you'd still make a few bucks and in no way would need a full staff to run that stadium for that day. This way, folks who usually can't get tickets to a fall NFL game could probably take the whole family to the stadium for one day.
You have the "playoffs" final four style with a pre-determined stadium hosting it. Or, you have it up at Canton. It doesn't matter. If its an eight-team league, no more than four teams should make the playoffs anyways. The first week of the playoffs would be the conference championships, and the next week would be the title game. That's easy enough.
So, there you go. Spring football in the U.S.. A chance for people who can't afford, or who can't get tickets, to see some football. An easier time for teams to keep their allocated players close to home for evaluation. It seems too simple.
Lets be honest here. Futbol is king everybody but in the United States. We aren't going to spread American Football like the NBA is spreading. With Futbol and Basketball, all you need is the ball and you can play. One on one. You can't do that with NFL style.
Ok, so here are my eight teams. Feel free to shift them a little if the regions are off.

Washington

Buffalo
New England

Green Bay
Minny
Chicago
St. Louis

Done and Done......and I mean DONE.

By Cindy Boren  |  April 4, 2007; 11:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Teensy Morsel
Next: Help Me, Please!

Comments

1st

Deadlist Catch is the Best Show on TV!

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Blog of the century! Hire that man!

Posted by: Andyman | April 4, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

where is old school? he is one of the few of you idiots that knows what he is talking about.

Posted by: JohnQ | April 4, 2007 11:57 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I reject the fact that you can't play football. All you need is freakin Football!!! We playd this for the MAGORITY of my pre-teen/teen years whether it be on the Blacktop or on grass.

Basketball - You need a BASKET and a BALL. D'Oh!

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 4, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I know what I am tlaking about (I feel) as well....

I never have ever said anything stupid football related, cousin....

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I think its a good idea, especially from the family perspective. Being able to get the kids to the park without spending their college fund would be nice.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 4, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I'd be all for it. I grew up in Birmingham, where spring football leagues go to die, and I have many fond memories of the Stallions, the Fire, the Barracudas, the Thunderbolts...it is to weep.

However, I think for the moment, the Arena League (with its NFL connections) has sucked all the oxygen out of the spring football market. I'd love to be wrong, as I much prefer the 11-man version of the sport...plus it could be one more league to install in Alabama. Or not. ;]

Posted by: Jon | April 4, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Why not have the champions of the spring league here and the league in Europe- play each other in the Not Ready for Prime Time Bowl?

Posted by: Berlin/Frankfurt- Fire | April 4, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

That arena football just reminds me of a better organized version of the XFL

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 4, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I can't see it being affordable if $nyder gets involved with it. Sorry.

Posted by: etrod | April 4, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

It's too hot for football in the spring... That's why the Arena League is indoors.

Posted by: TooHot | April 4, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

RUSTON, La. -- Eddie Robinson, who sent more than 200 players to the NFL and won 408 games during a 57-year career, has died. He was 88.

Super Bowl MVP quarterback Doug Williams, one of Robinson's former players, said the former Grambling State University coach died shortly before midnight on Tuesday. Robinson had been admitted to Lincoln General Hospital on Tuesday afternoon.

He began coaching at Grambling State in 1941, when it was still the Louisiana Negro Normal and Industrial Institute, and single-handedly brought the school from obscurity to international popularity.

Grambling first gained national attention in 1949 when Paul "Tank" Younger signed with the Los Angeles Rams and became the first player from an all-black college to enter the NFL. Suddenly, professional scouts learned how to find the little school 65 miles east of Shreveport near the Arkansas border.

Robinson sent over 200 players to the NFL, including seven first-round draft choices and Williams, who succeeded Robinson as Grambling's head coach in 1998. Others went to the Canadian Football League and the now-defunct USFL.

Robinson's pro stars included Willie Davis, James Harris, Ernie Ladd, Buck Buchanan, Sammy White, Cliff McNeil, Willie Brown, Roosevelt Taylor, Charlie Joiner and Willie Williams.

When he began his career, Robinson had no paid assistants, no groundskeepers, no trainers and little in the way of equipment. He had to line the field himself and fix lunchmeat sandwiches for road trips because the players could not eat in the "white only" restaurants of the South.

He was not bitter, however. "The best way to enjoy life in America is to first be an American, and I don't think you have to be white to do so," Robinson said. "Blacks have had a hard time, but not many Americans haven't."

Robinson said he tried to teach his players about opportunity.

"The framers of this Constitution, now they did some things," Robinson would say. "If you aren't lazy, they fixed it for you. You've got to understand the system. It's just like in football, if you don't understand the system, you haven't got a chance."

Neither of Robinson's parents graduated from high school _ he was the son of a cotton sharecropper and a domestic worker _ and they encouraged him to stay in school and get a college degree. Robinson was a star quarterback at Leland College under Reuben S. Turner, a Baptist preacher who introduced Robinson to the playbook and took him to his first coaching clinic.

After college, Robinson took a job at a feed mill in Baton Rouge, earning 25 cents an hour. He learned through a relative that there was an opening at Grambling.

His first season, Robinson's team went 3-5. His second year Grambling was 9-0, not only unbeaten, but not scored on.

In 1943 and 1944 there was no football at Grambling because of the war. Robinson coached at Grambling High School those years and won a high school championship.

"A daddy pulled my best running backs off our team and said they couldn't play anymore because they had to pick cotton," Robinson said. "So I got all the boys on the team, we packed up and went out there to pick the cotton, then went on to win the championship."

I am blessed to be living in this time and thank all before me. A living legend that can should still be alive in memory......

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 4, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Thats a great idea. The NFL should jump on it.

Posted by: Paul S. | April 4, 2007 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, so is the guest blogger the REAL Andrew Eckert (the guy from "Thank You For Smoking")? I didn't quite tell whether you were being saucy by adding the link and goofin on us.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately Etrod is right

By the time Daniel Snyder gets a hold of it it will get out of control

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 4, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

What's this "Hampster Nation" mumbo jumbo?

Posted by: Ezel | April 4, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The actor fellow with the similar name is Aaron Eckhart. Cindy or Andrew was making a joke.

Spring football always makes me think of the USFL.

Basketball has summer leagues, baseball has winter leagues, all part of the normal calendar between the championship and training camp. I see no reason fubball couldn't do the same. Makes a lot of sense. And I bet these games would get some ratings, maybe not terrific ratings, but we are hungry for real football.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 4, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

That was me, giving Hamster Nation something to click on and, hopefully, a giggle.

Posted by: Cindy | April 4, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

To paraphrase ESPN's Colin Cowherd "Unless it's the NFL or big boy college football (USC, Ohio State, Florida, Texas, etc) Americans won't watch."

Thank You For Smoking was funny as hell.

Posted by: skinswest | April 4, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

John, you grew up in Birmingham? I was born and raised in Montgomery, AL.

Posted by: Lisa | April 4, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

It is too hot and humid to have these games played in the summer, so it won't happen........

I am satisfied with the NF of L at this moment...

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

So i'd be rooting for the same team that raven's fans would be rooting for. That's all you had to say. Count me out

Posted by: bornskinsfan | April 4, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Ezel, somebody posted once (many months ago, don't remember who) about how the bloggers here have the attention span of a coked-up hamster. The analogy has since been warmly embraced.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Born! Another bump please

Posted by: PDSquared | April 4, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Bornskins,

I agree with you. I don't want to be affiliated with anything Philly or Dundalk, I mean Baltimore.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 4, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

A good idea, but we, as you can tell from the blog, have plenty to talk about and discuss.

Also of great value is the season replays on NFL network. They keep me quite busy with NFL games. Helps me remember those games that I lost myself screaming at my plasma in a drunken stupor scaring my 1 year old boy.

Posted by: PDSquared | April 4, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

BTW, that coked-up hamster thing is NOT a negative analogy. Altho you should steer clear of this guy if you ever have to go to Brooklyn...

Posted by: Cindy | April 4, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

That is triflin! Cindy....

Posted by: PDSquared | April 4, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

There is no way a spring NFL league can compete with NASCAR, Golf, and baseball when it comes to TV ratings.

Posted by: Skinz | April 4, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

OK...I realize its the off season, but this topic would put a meth addict to sleep. Unbelievable.

Posted by: soho | April 4, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

In three words ... I got nothin.

We are in the darkest days of no Skins news. Even the "voluntary" workouts are really voluntary this year, so even the weight room chit chat is quiet.

Last night I went the Nats game at RFK. It reminded me ... why I like football. RFK is an awesome venue. Way better than FedEx field. I had an idea, immediately rejected by my buddies -- that if the Skins had a home game in the post-season, $nyder rents out RFK and, in order to makeup for the shortfal in lost revenues, just double or triple the cost of seat. It was such a great night last night, my head was swimming. In the sober light of day, I see know why its such a bad idea. Still, it got my mind off baseball. Also, David and Mrs. Broder (of the WaPo) were sitting right in front of us, reminding me how cool it is to be in D.C. (of course, he was wearing a Cubs hat ... which seemed decidely uncool given that the Nats are a NL team).

Skins? Anything? Anyone?

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnQ | April 4, 2007 11:57 AM

Hey, considering the so-called professionals in Arizona, Detroit, etc. can't field a winning team despite all that money and "intelligence" and with the Skins shabingus in the front office giving us a whopping 5-11 record last year, the so-called "idiots" on this blog have every right to make different suggestions about what the Skins should do.

Posted by: charlie | April 4, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Why does this blog now stink? Oh yeah because I farted.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Man, that short article on Eddie Robinson was really moving.

Posted by: charlie | April 4, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Charlie - I cut out some pieces so I wouldn't be hounded by the RI Police (Sween). I made sure to post all the meat and potatoes. Man, we have it good now-a-days.....

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

who is drinking prune juice? man this blog stinks.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Three weeks into the Rams' offseason conditioning program, cornerback Jerametrius Butler remains conspicuous by his absence at Rams Park. But rumors to the contrary, Butler has not asked to be traded, according to his agent. "A trade has not been requested," said Butler's agent, Robert Fayne. Nonetheless, there has been speculation that Washington is interested in trading for Butler. The Redskins gave Butler a six-year, $15.04 million offer sheet as a restricted free agent before the 2004 season. The Rams opted to match that offer, keeping Butler in St. Louis."

Posted by: ExtremeSkins via St Louis Paper | April 4, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas is scheduled to fly to Tampa Bay on Monday for a visit Tuesday with Buccaneers officials. But Thomas will not stop with Tampa. He will continue racking up frequent flyer miles -- and NFL swag -- in Detroit a week from Thursday and Washington a week from Friday.

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Is bulter even that good. He seems pretty forgettable.

Posted by: PDSquared | April 4, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

he's got a pretty good jump shot, tough defender, finishes well around the rim and probably the best all around player we have.

Posted by: E Jordan | April 4, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Wrong Blog Eddie.......

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Jon, Lisa: You're not alone. Though I'm still stuck down here squeezed in with disgruntled Saints*, Titans, and Falcons fans. There's actually a few 'Skins fans around here. In this environment, you have to choose teams from abroad.

* The Saints are my second favorite, given that's who I watched growing up. I only got to see 'Skins on Monday nights, double-headers, play-offs, and those rare times when the Saints weren't playing.

Posted by: Dave | April 4, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the Wizards playoff hopes got broken against that backboard the other night....

Posted by: PDSquared | April 4, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Bulletin
The Nats are scoring runs! They trail 6-4! Dare I think they might even win?

Posted by: Cindy | April 4, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, you're going to have to be a little more convincing on the 'Briggs deal still alive!' stuff, to keep the hamsters going.

Isn't there some little nugget you can pass along, a little something-something?

Good to see the content filter/editor feature is working.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 4, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I was kind of getting excited about the Nats and O's spending the season in a thrilling race to 100 losses.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 4, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, all right. Jason and I were chatting this morning and we both agreed that we think something will get done before the draft. Do we have a real nugget that leads us there? No, it's just a gut thing. Maybe the Bears find a third party for the sixth pick...Maybe the Skins decide they can part with a player not named Rocky McIntosh...

Posted by: Cindy | April 4, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The Nats should just take the first nine people who enter the ballpark each day and start 'em! Hmmm....maybe Skins should have tried that last year.

Posted by: Cindy | April 4, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

#6 pick. This is where trade talk figures to heat up once again, with the Redskins not possessing another pick until the fifth round. If Oklahoma RB Adrian Peterson is still available, some team will attempt to move into this spot. But if the Redskins keep the selection, Okoye is a very intriguing 19-year-old with an enormous upside.

Keep that Adrian Peterson stuff coming.

Posted by: skinswest | April 4, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Cyn Cyty/Jason NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! If the Bears can find someone to trade with them so can we. And we really don't need another LB. I really hope they just walk away from this.

Posted by: jm220 | April 4, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Here is the way the draft will look on 4/28.

1) Tampa Bay (after trade with Oakland) - Calvin Johnson
2) Cleveland (after trade with Detroit) - JaMarcus Russell
3) Detroit (after trade with Cleveland) - Brady Quinn
4) Oakland (after trade with Tampa Bay) - Joe Thomas
5) Arizona - Adrian Peterson
6) Atlanta (after trade with Washington) - Laron Landry
7) Minnesota - Gaines Adams
8) Buffalo (after trade with Washington) - Patrick Willis
9) Miami - Alan Branch
10) Houston - Levi Brown
11) San Francisco - Adam Carriker
12) Washington - Amobi Okoye
13-32) Who cares.

Oakland gets a QB from Tampa Bay + Tampa Bay's 2nd round pick in 2007 + Tampa Bay's 1st round pick in 2008. Oakland uses a 2nd round pick on Drew Stanton

Posted by: Woodsy Owl | April 4, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, that's no nugget. Nate, ES is the one who brought the nugget. Check THIS out from that St. Louis Dispatch ...
_________________

Butler stays away

"A trade has not been requested," said Butler's agent, Robert Fayne.

Fayne insists Butler is not upset with the Rams, even though Butler plummeted down the depth chart last season after the addition of free agent Fakhir Brown and first-round draft pick Tye Hill. So why hasn't Butler shown up for the offseason program, which started March 19?

"He's working out diligently twice a day in Dallas to prepare for the 2007 season," Fayne said. "I expect him to be with the Rams in '07."
_________

This guy, like Smoot, is a former starter recently bumped. Admittedly, there can be players in the Rams secondary that appear to prosper in the Rams defense -- finding less success in Washington, but CB is still the position on the roster with the least depth and in need of a nearly complete rebuild.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Woodsey, what does your scenario get for the Skins (other than trading down twice)? Anything in return? Or just 'favors' from Vinny?

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

This is definitely the best idea I've heard yet for getting a "minor league" up and running for the NFL. I think it could definitely work. I would probably guess that the large market owners like Jones and Snyder would probably be against the move initially, but eventually would realize all the profits they could gain through merchandising and the like.

How about adding an international twist to this well laid out plan? Each of the cities currently hosting NFLE teams could get one game played in their stadium each spring season. The NFL already works that angle in the preseason every year. I'm thinking the blow would have to be softened to the euro-cities that want the international attention, however small, that the league is bringing them.

Posted by: IntenseJ | April 4, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I think that the Skins should NOT trade up before the draft. No one can tell who will take who. (Last year's Bush/Young thing.)
I hope that they have just a little patience to see who is available before doing anything. Hopefully, they can then trade down. (Yeah, right.)

Posted by: charlie | April 4, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will acquire two 3rd round picks for moving down - one from Atlanta and one from Buffalo. The wise choice would be to hold these picks and select two prospects - a defensive end and an offensive guard. It is more likely the Redskins will package these picks to move back into the 2nd round and take the best available defensive end.

Posted by: Woodsy Owl | April 4, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Woodsy, if you're sellin, I'm buyin. Hello Okoye and Ikaika Alama-Francis!

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

or Gaurd!

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring this back up, but the Bears' wed-site reports that the Redskins and them are still working on a deal for Briggs.

Posted by: Tony | April 4, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Woodsy - wow if there are that many trades, that first round is going to last forever (more so than usual). Carriker to SF sounds high for him based on most mocks (the ones I've seen anyway). I could see pPicks 5-7 could go Adams, Peterson, Landry also. Very interesting.

Posted by: skinswest | April 4, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 4, 2007 02:49 PM

Nate,

Too much pessimism so early in the season. You can at least hope for .500 record.

Some nostalgia: The second Senators team went above .500 on a road trip during the summer one year in the late 60s. I was one of several thousand people who went to National Airport to welcome the team home. Shows how starved we were for a respectable team. Once I learned how to drive, I used to take my younger brother and two sisters to RFK about 10 times per summer. An evening's entertainment for less than $10 for four people. Great memories!

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | April 4, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

This guys draft has holes in it. It leans to much to the Redskins. Why would Atlanta want to move2 spots higher?

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

baseball has several levels of minor leagues and they are usually in smaller cities that probably wouldn't be able to support a major league team. Why not have a minor league team for each NFL team? The NFL has more than enough money to support it. The revenue would be lower, but then so would the salaries. The NFL draft could add a few rounds to compensate for the extra team. Then whenever an NFL player gets hurt, they will always have replacements waiting on them. This system would be really nice for Gibbs, who used to love stockpiling youngsters on the IR. Here is a list of cities that could host minor league teams:
Philadelphia/Camden, NJ
Tennessee/Memphis TN
San Diego/Los Angeles CA
Denver/Colorado Springs, CO
Kansas City/Wichita, KS
Oakland/San Jose, CA

Posted by: Midniterc | April 4, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Atlanta is desperate to draft Laron Landry. The Schaub deal allowed them to move up two spots (from #10 to #8), but that won't be high enough. If Atlanta doesn't trade up for the #6 pick, they won't get Landry. The Redskins can draft Landry and keep him, or trade him to another team for picks. Atlanta will make the deal.

Posted by: Woodsy Owl | April 4, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Love me some Jorge Julio!

Posted by: 4-12 | April 4, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

You still don't make sense. Tell me who will draft Landry one spot ahead of them? Minnesota just signed Mike Doss today......

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Check this out (Lisa, take a deep breath before you read it):

"11. Can you believe it? The Bears are bound and determined not to let the Redskins implode this off-season. All the Skins wanted to do was to throw away the sixth pick in the draft, which they desperately needed for a defensive lineman, to get a Tampa-2 linebacker, which they don't need. And don't let this talk about Gregg Williams playing a Cover 2 defense fool you. The guy blitzes about half the time. Ever seen Lance Briggs blitz? Me neither. Fear not, however, the Skins could be determined. Now there's a rumor they're going to trade the number six pick, Shawn Springs, and next year's first round pick to move up and get Calvin Johnson! Insert laugh track here."

The entire article can be found here: http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/2950

Posted by: JustMe | April 4, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Man, GG hardly eva blitzed last year what were they watching? O, they are Bucs reporters so they never watch a 'Skins game unless they were playing them......

Keep the Disinformation coming!

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words...the Briggs trade with the Skins will get done.

Posted by: Lisa | April 4, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

It really sounds like nobody wants this #6 pick. The only way I see us unloading it is on draft day in the event Peterson or Quinn fall to us or if someone is more in love with Landry than Atlanta. But I still have strong feeling we will end up with Briggs once Chicago comes to the realization they can either swap first rounders or be stuck with someone who will sit out 10 games.

Posted by: cdubb | April 4, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Mike Doss is a strong safety with no coverage skills. Sean Taylor is a hybrid strong safety with some coverage skills. Laron Landry is a free safety, with coverage skills and cornerback speed. Half of the teams in the league like Landry. Who will pay the most?

Posted by: Woodsy Owl | April 4, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

So are you telling me that if Atlanta dosen't trade with Wash, that Wash or Minn will trade down with someone else so that another team can get Landry?

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, the Bills have 2 positions of need - LB & RB. I don't see why they would move up to draft Willis in the top 10 when they can def pick up a need whether it by M Lynch or Willis at #12....

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 4, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Keep the Disinformation coming!

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 03:56 PM
****************************************

Yeah, *last year* he didn't blitz much. But, that was because he didn't trust his secondary and not because of a philosophical change in the way he wants to run his defense. The first two years Grilliams was here they blitzed incessantly.

That's why I'm puzzled by their apparent insistence on moving Springs. They really need him or someone of comparable ability to run the defense as aggressively as they used to do.

Grrrr..... I need for all of the player acquisition and shuffling to end so I can get a feel for what this team might be like next season.

Posted by: JustMe | April 4, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I agree with your assesemnet JustYou. I think they want Double Move to step up and be the top 10 pick like he is. I remember when Gibbs 2.2 drafted him. He said they wanted him because he could tackle and he was physical.

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Now that Bly is out of play, they should be keeping Springs. Springs, Smoot and Rogers should provide a fairly strong CB position for 2007 and I am not relying on information from something called the "Pewter Report". If they trade Springs to move up for Calvin Johnson, the defense will be as bad as last year. Weak secondary again and no D line upgrades.

Posted by: cdubb | April 4, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to hold my breath for a more 'reputable' source than the "Pewter Report" reporting on matters Redskin related.

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | April 4, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

That is absolutely ridiculous! Gibbs has stated repeatedly that he wants to keep Springs and we really need him. Anyone who thinks we can make do with Rogers and Smoot is really drinking the Kool Aid.

Remember: Defense wins championships...does not matter what our offense can do with Calvin Johnson if we can't keep the other team from scoring....I know this all too well from watching the Wizards!

Posted by: Lisa | April 4, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings signed Mike Doss

Posted by: DCdangerous | April 4, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Lisa - I am a realist, just like Gibbs 2.4....

With that said, we can prob get away with trading Springs if anything to the J Butler rumor is true. I would only trade him if there is a tremendous upside (like us getting CJ in the draft). I really don't want to let him go, because I believe this will be the 1st time in 7 years that Springs will play a full 16 game schedule.....

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 4, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I obviously agree with you on the Briggs trade. All the Bears have to do is wait a few days for Napolean to get a little impatient and they'll get everything they want (and probably more) from that clown(s).

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 4, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Briggs Stats:

YEAR TEAM G TOT SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD
2003 CHI 16 78 67 11 4 0.0 0 0 1 45 1
2004 CHI 16 126 104 22 10 0.5 0 0 1 38 1
2005 CHI 16 107 84 23 11 2.0 2 0 2 30 1
2006 CHI 16 134 113 21 9 1.0 4 0 2 18 0
Career 64 442 365 77 34 3.5 6 0 6 131 3

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Slow Day. Not anymore.

You can't tell me that the Skins can't get at least 2 vets from this list and the defense can get back to 2004 style:
Free Agents As of 04/02/07

Defensive End
Dwight Freeney/UFA (exclusive franchise player)
Justin Smith/UFA (franchise player)
Charles Grant/UFA (franchise player)
Jared Allen/RFA - He asked to be traded but that's unlikely to happen. Their pass rush isn't very good to begin with and they can't afford to deal Allen.
Grant Wistrom/UFA - Because the list of decent pass rushers is dwindling, Wistrom should be able to find a job as a third end or better for a team.
Bobby McCray/RFA - He's coming off of a very good season and should attract interest next year as a UFA.
Courtney Brown/UFA - This could be it for the oft-injured end.
Al Wallace/UFA
Mark Word/UFA
Rodney Bailey/UFA
Brandon Green/UFA
Joe Tafoya/UFA
Kemp Rasmussen/UFA

Defensive Tackle
Cory Redding/UFA (franchise player)
Ian Scott/UFA - It looks like his choices are coming down to re-signing with Chicago or signing with Minnesota.
James Reed/UFA - He should be able to get a job as a fourth tackle.
Randy Starks/RFA
Lional Dalton/UFA - He should be able to get a job as a fourth tackle.
Seth Payne/UFA
Cedric Killings/UFA
Tony Williams/UFA
Ross Kolodziej/UFA
Antwan Lake/UFA
Jason Fisk/UFA

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 4, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

What a story about Courtney Brown, he came in with such high expectations

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 4, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

The Skins cut Cedric Killings last year. But maybe if they re-signed him and one of the Clemons brothers, they can get into 2004 style with guys who already know the D.

It remains a slow day.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

clearly, nobody here knows what they are talking about.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

clearly, nobody here knows what they are talking about.

Posted by: | April 4, 2007 05:42 PM

WOW an anonymous slap...how very Taliban of you

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 4, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

cleary, that reminds me ... A guy walks into a psychiatrist's office, completely nude, but wrapped in celophane. The psychiatrist says "clearly I can see youre nuts."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 4, 2007 05:28 PM

my eyes hurt. this is more than a coked up hamster. he's coked up, meth'd up, heroin'd up, 5 jolt cola'd up, 10 red bull'd up, and snorted keith richards' dads ashes up'd.

Posted by: kiper stinx | April 4, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow it is a slow day. Courtney Brown's knee is messed up - bone on bone. He's likely done. I've heard of some of the DT's, too lazy to bother looking them up though. You'd think they might be able to find at least one backup for depth from the bunch.

Posted by: skinswest | April 4, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

whole lotta disinformation going on around these parts.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

skinswest, my choice from the list is junior glymph. i have no idea who he is or where he plays, but based on his name alone, i'm sure he'll be ready to join the big bugs soon.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Ho hum, yawn. Is this what it's like at other teams blog sites during the off season? Probably good for the teams, bad for the blog. After the past few weeks skins histrionics I'll take it for awhile though.

Posted by: skinswest | April 4, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

The intergoogles tell me that the Clemons brothers did find work after the Skins. Chris (the LB) is in Oakland and Nic (the DT) is in Atlanta. Good for them.

[LB and DT ... good thing the Skins have all the guys they need at those spots.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Speak for yourself J-La! It's reached out to me! The only game I've ever seen is the World Bowl in Sydney in 2000, Broncos vs Chargers! Unfortunately it was the year after Elway retired, so I got to see Bubby Brister in his prime, and about 3 carries from T.Davis!! Hahaha Don't give up on expanding though there is hope! Just take a page from Snyders book, Be Patient!

Posted by: kost52 | April 4, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

"Ho hum, yawn. Is this what it's like at other teams blog sites during the off season? ...

Posted by: skinswest | April 4, 2007 05:59 PM"

Nope. On other team's blog sites, you can get the lists of free agents for EVERY position.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Does the Redskins Report still come on television over there with George Michael?

Do they ever have any good information. i remember watching it and it never seemed very informative.

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 4, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

re: Hamster nation explanation

many thanks for the fyi

Posted by: Ezel | April 4, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

can someone (lisa) please inform me why Jarvis Hayes is ever given playing time?

Posted by: Edub | April 4, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Enough of this foolishness. 1) Briggs will not become a Redskin, 2) I am much more hansome from a distance (upper tier) with a helmet on than Brunell 3) You cannot find a better truck deal in Warrenton than from me.

Posted by: Joe Jacoby | April 4, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

>>> "clearly I can see your nuts"

I love it! I'm totally using it tonight.

So I had 2 hours sitting at Starbucks waiting for one of my investors to come down and meet with me (seriously, this is hard stuff raising money), and I wandered over to ExtremeSkins. Very fancy! Lots of colors and forums and stuff. It's like going to Shoney's after a life spent at KFC (uh, I mean, JLaC).

I can't believe we have to wait three more weeks until the Draft. Crazy.

Love JLaC's Spring League idea, but I think it would be cooler if the Vince McMahon ran it :-)

Went to Mariners opening day on Monday. Spent the time drinking beer with my date. Thankfully, she hates baseball and loves booze as much as I do. After the game, I said, "This sport is worse than watching grass grow." Then the grounds crew came out to clean up and she replied, "And now you get to watch grass get cut." Such wit, such hotness, such willingness to get drunk and sloppy! I think I'll ask this one out again.

Really, this is all very boring. Wake me up when it's August. If only there was a World Cup to occupy my time this summer. Last summer was awesome...I actually got into the futbol...

Posted by: P Diddy | April 4, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Joe Jacoby,

You still using your old TheatreVision?

Posted by: P Diddy | April 4, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Just heard on NFL Network that Asante Samuel wants to be traded!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm Now thats a trade I think we could all agree on..If its done right

Posted by: oc skins | April 4, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that we can all agree on a trade for Samuels, itself. But, I think if New England gives any indication that they are willing to make a deal for him, we won't have to hear another word about Briggs this off-season. LOL

Posted by: JustMe | April 4, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

hey i hope ur new baby is doing well

so lookout for any trade talks with the patriots
see yeah

Posted by: JakeT_11 | April 4, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

edub, I honestly don't know. Tonight the Wiz do not have too many options. Caron Butler broke his hand on Sunday and Gil Arenas sprained his knee after only playing 2 minutes tonight. Gil did not start because he was "tardy." Brendan Haywood has not been in the game all night - I'm not even sure he is dressed. I feel like my other team (besides the Skins is falling apart and may not win another game :-(

Posted by: Lisa | April 4, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Just looked on espn.com...firstly, RIP Eddie Robinson. A great and noble life, indeed.

Second, they're doing a Live Mock Draft. The only thing more insipid than ESPN's coverage of the NFL Draft has to be ESPN's coverage of some schmoe's mock draft.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 4, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm just biding my time until Mr. LaCanfora is tabbed as NFL Commissioner.

Posted by: Redskinrex | April 4, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll fix the stupid inactive player rule.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 4, 2007 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope you guys didn't think I wrote out that list...

I just did what I have been doing since 11th grade English...

Cut and paste from other sites (Don't lock me up Sween).....

Posted by: ES | April 4, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

What's the over/under on how long it takes for the Redskins to be mentioned in connection to Samuel's request to be traded? This might become a kind of touchy situation for "Next Question," though, since I think he's Samuel's agent as well.

If I could, I would advise those schmucks in our FO to stay far, far away from those dudes in New England. Not only would they get fleeced beyond belief, but then NE would take that #6 and package it with one of the 2 first round picks they already have this year to move up and take Calvin Johnson, pairing Tom Terrific with the kind of reciever he's probably wanted his entire career. Barring injury, New England would win the next 5 Super Bowls, and I would have to quit watching football altogether.

Ugh.

Posted by: JustMe | April 4, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I've only heard good things about the new commissioner. Other than the fact that he always looks like he's going to start whistling, he's been saying all the right things so he seems to be a good choice. I think the posturing he's been doing lately about player conduct could be good for the sport. Doug Williams had a good quote today in reference to the passing of Coach Robinson -- something about how his players stayed clean through their playing careers and after ... about how the role of the coach should be about training citizens, not just football players. The attitude of some of these NFL players (the crime guys), given the size of their pay checks (esp. in relation to other sports) mocks the whole idea of sports as a form of excellence in human endeavor. Whatever the new commissioner wants to do for a systematic clamp down on misdemeanor and felony behavior -- which is going to take years, if not at least a decade -- is good news for football.

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Patriots | Samuel requests a trade
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:10:48 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports New England Patriots CB Asante Samuel has requested a trade because he is unhappy with the way contract negotiations have gone.

~~So it seems that it's not the Pats who have sought a trade, but Asante and his agent. If the Skins were interested in Bly, why wouldn't they be interested in Asante? Wonder if the Pats would give up Asante for an exchange of #1s.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 4, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

skinfanman, the Pats have a first rounder to spare. They pick at #24 (which they got for Deion Branch) and again at #28. The Pats are a team with hand. They already look to me like next year's team to beat. Their uncharacteristically splashy offseason moves so far make it look like Belichek and Brady could be fixin to retire after another Super Bowl victory this season.

Too bad the Skins will stop them and keep them around for another season. wink wink nudge nudge EH!

Posted by: dcsween | April 4, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Am pretty much against trading Springs but let the rumors fly.

#6 and Springs for Samuel, #24 and #28.

Posted by: cdubb | April 4, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

There is a World Cup on at the moment P Diddy! Cricket!! Hahaha

Posted by: kost52 | April 4, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Although it is tempting to get Samuel from NE, the real goal is to get both first round picks from NE. I mean depth at CB would be nice but I wouldnt want to lose 2 1st round picks for one player. Id rather get DE Anthony Spencer and OG Ben Grubbs.

Posted by: DCdangerous | April 4, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

The Pats wouldn't pay Ty Law, they probably won't pay Asante. And Asante would want at least Bailey money if not Clemens money. The Redskins couldn't afford Clements, or at least thought he wasn't worth it. But they might think Asante is better than Clements, and there's ten interceptions that say maybe they're right. Anyhow, Briggs would cost about 7.5M per year; Samuels closer to 10M.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 4, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Given that the Pats seem to have adopted the "Adulias Thomas and 44 Wide Receivers" strategy, I think we should propose a BLloyd for Samuels trade - straight up.

Just the tip, just for a minute, just to see how it feels...

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 4, 2007 11:10 PM | Report abuse

This is the first time I really moved to response. This is a outstanding idea, very well thought out.

Posted by: jhug | April 4, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can pull the same old switcheroo with the Patsies we did with the Bison Slaughterers... instead of focusing our acquisitive energies on the CB everyone thinks we covet (Twain, Mark) we swoop in and grab a veteran LB right out from under their noses! Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Mike Vrabel.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 4, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Cload, what are you smoking?

Posted by: Lisa | April 4, 2007 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Ok...time for football season please! Gilbert Arenas has a sprained knee along with Caron Butler's broken left hand. The coach is losing the team and the Wiz season which once looked so promising is OVER. I don't see playoffs in the picture. Need football to return now...guess I will check out the Arena league.

Posted by: Lisa | April 4, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,
Smoking? Madam, surely you jest.
But I did treat myself to a little bit of an adult beverage before logging in.

I believe that, when sewious [got my annual fix of WonderPets today!] , I've made the point that we crossed the Rubicon with BLloyd when we wrote the $5M check at the beginning of March. I just hope we made him run a route for it -- good chance to watch it float "ten yards past him" as he loses it in the lights..

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 4, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

The Pats would have to struggle to fit the salaries of Samuel and 2 x 1st round picks under their cap, wouldn't they?

Posted by: kost52 | April 4, 2007 11:46 PM | Report abuse

kost,

I read an estimate somewhere that the Patsies are projected to be $4mil *under* the cap once they signed their draft picks. They've been spending money like crazy, but they started out free agency about $23mil under the cap. Unbelievable, yes?

Posted by: JustMe | April 5, 2007 12:29 AM | Report abuse

kost52, here's a really good Pats salary cap site by a fan...

He thinks the Patsies are currently somewhere from US$7-8.5mil under the 2007 cap. But I can't quite discern if the rookie cap allotment would be in addition to that.

Cue the "Dang, I wish we had Pioli/Belichik/Kraft" chorus.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Before you go hiring GMs based on how far under the cap they are, remember that most of the cap space cleared by SF and NE last year was due to dead cap space from 2006 that suddenly 'disappeared' on March 1... I forget the figure for NE, but the 49ers had something like $20M in dead cap space in 2006 (and had $37M to "spend" as of March 1).

Even after taking the staggering cap hit of booting Archi and Patten, we're at about $6.5M in dead cap space for 2007.

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 5, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

The careful hamster... err, reader will recall that Archi counts for $4.5M of that $6.5M.

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 5, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

My god, I thought we had no lives, sitting here waffling on about non-existant trades. How bored must you be to run a site that is dedicated to keeping track of the Patriots Salary Cap??

Posted by: kost52 | April 5, 2007 1:21 AM | Report abuse

Bored like a fox, kost. Bored like a fox.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 2:12 AM | Report abuse

I know, I know, most of us hope the Briggs deal is dead dead dead. But just a reminder that he is who we thought he was...

[Tommie] Harris also weighed in on the ongoing Lance Briggs contract squabble.

"Life goes on, man. I would love to have Briggs here, but it is a business also," he said of the linebacker's dispute with the Bears. "We will see how it plays out. I wish the best for Lance. He's more than just a player to me. He's a teammate, and we're friends. It would be sad not to have him here. As long as he gets paid, as long as he gets his money, everybody will be happy."

F Briggs, F Drew Rosenhaus, F adding any disgruntled player to the Skins' roster.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 2:18 AM | Report abuse

Nate, agreed. And while we're at it, F GHIJK!

Samuel in NE? hmmm. He's one of NEXT QUESTION's boys, isn't he. One of the other franchised players has been making big news lately ... using the arena of public opinion to figure out his market value ... hmmmm, what might be going on here?

Free agency started with a splash of shocking salaries being paid to GUARDS. Then FA round one cooled WAY down. Clubs let out a collective WHOA. Free agency in general slowed way down. Instead, teams re-signed their own players at a higher rate than previous years. We watch the resurgence of an anomalous transaction of yesteryear -- the trade. Trades on picks. Where the value of picks is in control of the clubs (and doesn't have to actually occur till the season starts). Jerry Angelo publicly said what every team is thinking ... with FA guards earning the Bolivian debt, how the heaven is a team going to afford a #6 pick?

No one has really thought through all the consequences of the new CBA's unleashing of the salary cap ... esp. for the salaries of actual quality players. Nate Clements' deal was only the tip of the iceberg. Agents like NEXT QUESTION are thinking that Clements got fleeced compared to what they can do. NQ probably scoffs at the Skins' offer for Briggs, but Briggs lost hand when he made a public fuss about not playing. Now Samuel has to repeat the same line b/c its part of the new script.

Samuel's announcement is a direct consequence of the Briggs Maneuver. We have not seen the end of this. The Skins will be tasting a dose of this with Cooley (reserving the right to recant on this, not sure who Cooley's agent is). The Skins will shock the world with what happens in two seasons when Sean Taylor finishes his contract obligations. Reaper's agent? NEXT QUESTION!

[Note to season ticket holders: Re-up and demand multi-season purchase at this season's prices ... the only way to make room for these upcoming contracts will be to squeeze it out of the fans. Fasten your seat belts and secure your wallets.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 7:24 AM | Report abuse

I can get behind a Samuel trade. NE let go of their older premier CB's b/c Samuel was so good. Trade Springs for Picks (NE doesn't want high priced older players that aren't theirs), trade #6 for #24 and Samuel (maybe throw in a 3rd rounder from the Springs trade).

I worry about how much we would pay him since he is the BEST corner in the league. I would guess more than Clements... he set the market.

Posted by: PDSquared | April 5, 2007 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Sween, I'm dreading the day the Reaper becomes a Free Agent. The way he got hosed on his rookie deal, he's going to be out for blood.

Posted by: etrod | April 5, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I know our hands were tied by our proximity to the salary cap when free agency began, but I have to think that not adding any astronomical new contracts to our burden for '08 -- even if we go on to sign a rookie contract for a fellow in the top half dozen draft picks -- bodes well for next offseason.

By which I don't mean a frenzied FA spending spree but a 'taking care of our own' spree starting with Cooley and then the Reaper.

If we have cap room, we can rip up the Reaper's current deal and sign an extension at any time, right?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

...barring a falling-out between the Reaper and his coaches before then, of course.

Don't you feel like Grilliams is a ticking time bomb, that somebody is going to get on his shti list and get benched (see LaVar, Arch Deluxe) this season no matter what? Who will it be this year, I wonder. *sigh*

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Nate, that's why Coach Joe should've smack his ass in the back of the head and kicked him out the door.

Posted by: jm220 | April 5, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Interesting list of players likely to go in rounds 2 to 4.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Interesting opinion about the Briggs trade that didn't happen:

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"... I worry about how much we would pay him [Samuel] since he is the BEST corner in the league. I would guess more than Clements... he set the market.

Posted by: PDSquared | April 5, 2007 07:59 AM"

Maybe so, maybe not. Some would put Champ above Clements or Samuel.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Yes, sorry, I meant best FA CB.... Champ is the best in my eyes.

Posted by: PDSquared | April 5, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Nate, Grilliams loves Sean Taylor. There will never be a problem there. If any other player (not to mention LaVar or A'bingus) were accused of whipping out a gun, Grilliams wouldn't roll over in his sleep to doghouse the guy. Sean Taylor -- better than Chuck Norris -- is in quite a different category. The thing standing between extending Sean Taylor and not is the free market, plus nearly a decade of love-making btwn NQ and The Owner.

Also, remember that the salary cap increases annually under the new CBA, and not at fixed rates. In his rant about the A'bingus deal, J-LaC threw out some numbers about the rate at which the cap is PROJECTED to increase. With the young turk "vanguard" of money grubbers among the ranks of owners, we should anticipate that total league revenues will increase even faster than projected. The salary cap is a fixed percentage of total league revenues. Watch for guys like the Skins' own "The Owner" to include, among his personal goals, busting those projections. I repeat, secure your wallets ... and line up for this nice replica jersey of a player-to-be-cut-later.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm all caffeinated. Here's what I meant to say ... The thing standing between extending Sean Taylor and not love/hate by the coaching staff, its is cost inflation on the free market, plus nearly a decade of love-making btwn NQ and The Owner (which will look beyond the reasonable values associated with fair functioning of free markets, and skew the market further by paying more than what the market should bear).

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

... extending Sean Taylor IS not ... [correction from "and not"] ... I need to take a walk. I'm losing it.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

No walking yet, too much blogging to do.

From that Clark Judge piece re: the Briggs trade: "Forget that Briggs is selfish, greedy and driven by a mad market that pays gazillions to unrestricted free agents like linebacker Adalius Thomas. This deal didn't add up for Chicago from the outset because it didn't offer enough in return. ... I know what Lance Briggs can do in the pros."

>>> I disagree with Judge on his first point and think he is internally inconsistent by the end of the last quoted sentence. Briggs is simply being the "rational economic decision-maker" in an insane economic market created by the CBA where the side with the power (the owners) collude and the players are in a free for all to figure out their value in that market. If the owners (colluders that make Microsoft look like a charity) are willing to value The Guards, Nate Clements, and Adalius Thomas at the contracts they signed, then Briggs -- and now Asante Samuel -- acts rationally to hold out for the dollar signs they should be able to ink. Players are not in a position to fully get the deal -- if they want, they can slide through college w/an education qualifying them for the drive-thru window. Its their agents (like NQ) who are figuring this out.

Watch the new CBA unfold ... and watch your wallets.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

If Taylor plays up to his potential and a new deal is not done before he hits FA, expect him to get the franchise tag. The 5 highest paid safeties are not a ridiculous #, especially now that Arch's contract has been scrapped.

Then Tayor will be pi*sed and we'll have to trade him like one of these 2 clowns that feel like playing a game for millions of dollars is a slap in the face.

Posted by: cdubb | April 5, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Real quick, I was reminded of our discussion of alternate team nicknames, because the radio mentioned that Snyder owns Johnny Rockets..... so.... here is the suspense.... Washington Rockets!! Then we all sing 'the rockets red glare, bombs bursting in air...' as our TD song! We just bring back the old script R helmets... done.

Johnny Rocket Restaurant, Fan Zone, Red Zebra Radio on site studio broadcasting the game.... awesome!

Posted by: PDSquared | April 5, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Couple things:

I want NO PART of Samuel. Look at his career. Played all 16 games once in 4 seasons, had a total of 6 picks his previous 3 years, and he's a little smaller than Dub-G likes his corners to be. He had an INCREDIBLE year going into his contract year. No thanks.

As far as the players going in rounds 2-4, I'd love some Sabby Piscatelli at safety, and I'm starting to come around on Tim Crowder out of Texas, not to mention Josh Beekman out of BC, he's probably wicked smaht....

Posted by: Greg(Boston) | April 5, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

cdubb, even though A'bingus' contract has been scrapped, that the Skins had the nerve to actually enter that contract means its the bare minimum for contract discussions to extend with Sean Taylor.

Just like the transition tag concept was effectively scrapped by Hutchinson deal (Seattle/Minnesota), followed by subsequent collusion among the teams not to use it again, I'm guessing the franchise tag is going to be on its way out b/c top players who aren't happy with their offers for contract extensions will do whatever Briggs is going to do (not play, or only play the minimum necessary, sign tag tenders at the last possible second). Teams and players will either have an extension the season prior to the last one or not. If they don't, then rather than applying the franchise tag, the player will get traded while he still has a final year left under contract. Its a matter of convenience. Wait and watch how the trading team on the receiving team will NOT get busted for tampering when they start negotiating the terms of the next contract while the player still has a full season left with the team that couldn't negotiate the extension. Every team will do it, so it won't be treated like "bad" tampering and won't be enforced.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

One problem I'd have with the Rockets at a name is there's an NBA team with that name.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 5, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

1. Screw the Briggs trade, unless we can get a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
2. I agree bring Europa back to the U.S. but I would prefer Team's playing in smaller cities & 2 NFL Teams to every Minor league team and letting ML teams sign most of their own players. Keeping the game outside is best as the AFL is so booring, its like having ADD while on crack, or playing Madden NFL on Rookie mode.

Posted by: 35332 | April 5, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I hear you sween. That is the main reason I don't want Briggs and the 20M they'd be giving him. They can't give huge deals to everyone even though it seems like they try and is a big part of why we have no quality depth.

Posted by: cdubb | April 5, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

That blogger is a Buffoon. Bring it back to the States for the spring? HAHA. Didnt we try the USFL and XFL and now we have that idiotic indoor league???

Half the reason football is so fun is the yearly anticipation. Of course, Any chance to give away draft picks for nothing is a good day...

Posted by: Cerattto | April 5, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

skinfanman;

There was supposed to be sarcasm in that rockets talk

Posted by: PDSquared | April 5, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

You guys are are crazy (whoever wrote between 10 pm - 6 am)...

Come backe to reality. We are not going to make a move for Sameuls and the Patriots ARE going to keep him because they have no ther choice.

Be realist, not crazy people....

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 5, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

P.S.: I did a quick search and found out there is a new spring football league coming out next year.Here is some of the Wiki entry on this new league:

"The All American Football League is a professional league of American football. The All American Football League has some similarities to the former USFL professional league because it is a spring outdoor football league.... * The All American Football League, scheduled to begin play in March or April of 2008, is a professional league of American football in which all players must possess a four-year university degree. The players will be employees of the AAFL, not the franchises, and the league will pay each player an average of approximately $100,000 per year. This level is thought to be the most generous of any existing non-NFL league and is designed to attract the best non-NFL talent.

* The league was unveiled at a press conference in New York City on July 26, 2006. Its commissioner is Cedric Dempsey, former executive director of the National Collegiate Athletic Association...

* The league plans to sign agreements with a specific, manageable target list of football tradition-rich universities and prominent stadiums. These universities will become "host universities" for an AAFL franchise... Playing in the spring avoids competing for the traditional fall football fans of the NFL and college football, thus providing an extended season of quality football for those who crave the sport.
"

You know I know of a once used NFL stadium here in Washington D.C. that could be available to host a team, as the local baseball and soccer team are suposed to move out in '08 and play in South East. Someone should call Snyder and tell him to forget about having an AFL team, he should get one of these so he can stockpile on positions other then QB and WR (which is all the AFL is good for). DC does meet their criteria: Football City, local scools in NCAA Div-IA: Maryland& Navy are close, I-AA: Georgetown & Howard. I say get a team and sucks to Europa & the AFL.

Posted by: 35332 | April 5, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Extreme Skins, given the recent history of the Skins FO, until the FO demonstrates that they can abide by the provisions of their parole and themselves "be realist, not crazy people", I think the RI bloggers need to retain the right to be crazy, unrealistic people who panic, worry, stew, explode, etc.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

35332, nice intergoogling!

RI hamster nation, Andrew Eckert is a pseudonym for Cedric Dempsey.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Extreme Skins, if it weren't for the graveyard shift of insomniacs, tweakers, West Coast weirdos like myself, and our pals across the Pacific Rim, what would you have to read on news-less blog mornings?

We're like the dedicated but misguided staff of a crappy virtual newspaper that's delivered to your desk every morning. You know on some level you like to have these overnight ramblings with your coffee.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

""""i was just seeing how the patriots might be seeking a trade for Assante Samuel and i was think if the redskins would maybe trade for him or would rather trade for Briggs?""""

Why not a three-way? We get Samuel and #31, New England gets Briggs (they need LBs) and Chicago gets the #6.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

All I am saying is that you guys are sounding Len Pastabelly on the graveyard shift. I'll let it go though for what it is - RI insomniacs with nothing better to do......

Posted by: ES | April 5, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's fun to re-hash our interest in Twain, Mark, but I get the impression that keeping Springs at his current salary is the BEST option for us at corner.

Springs-Smoot-Double Move is a pretty good top three corners, especially if Double Move steps it up. I hope he's been catching balls all offseason to prepare those hands for picks, just like I hope Betts has been tightly gripping a ball all offseason to prevent them pesky fumbles.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Three way, I don't think it would work for Chicago b/c they don't care about the #6 pick and they do want a replacement.

ES, tell me, what's more ridiculous ... an RI insomniac blogging on their free time ... or a well-rested RI addict blogging at work?

Nate, agreed. The Skins have to have re-thought their views on Springs' current contract. At the going rate, Springs' deal is a steal, maybe even undervalued (of course, that makes him trade bait).

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"what's more ridiculous ... an RI insomniac blogging on their free time ... or a well-rested RI addict blogging at work?"

or both!!! hahahaaaaaaaa

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I pick blogging on fre time because honestly, I don't think about you guys when I am in my free time because of Kids, wife, friends, etc. etc...

I am stuck here for 10 hours a day for I don't know why and sometime need to waste time to keep sanity in between JEs........

Posted by: ES | April 5, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think it's somewhat safe to say (knock on wood) that the rest of this FA season might be a quiet one for the team. The combination of an overinflated FA market pushing up prices, plus the FO having walked the Cap(t'n) Crunch plank a few too many times just might make them gunshy enough to keep away from a Samuels deal. Most of the news will probably be about what happens with the #6 pick, followed by some acquisitions after June 1st, when perhaps some quality personnel will fall out of other teams' apple carts.

OK, please don't tell me there's a new post up with news of a useless trade, right now....

Posted by: FlimFlam | April 5, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Is Next Question really the agent for Samuels? What can we do to help?

Posted by: Danny Boy | April 5, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

The three way idea has some possibilities, just not the way vertical line would lay it out. If a three way happens, then like all history to date, the one who gets hosed has to be the Skins.

I'm not advocating this, but if it happens, it would more likely that: (1) Patriots get #6 pick and Bears' second round pick, release #24 pick, and send Samuel to the Skins, (2) Bears get #24, Patriots second round pick this year (28th pick in the second round), a first day pick from the Skins in '08, and send Briggs to New England (3) Skins send a first day pick to Chicago, get #31 this year, and Samuels.

Bears like it b/c they can afford #24, who will still be a top-notch LB, plus if they really want a guy at a higher spot, they can use the additional second rounder (and/or one of next year's firsts) to get him.

Skins are only slightly better off than the Briggs deal b/c the depth at CB is not top notch. The punishment for opening this can of worms is a pick from Day One next year.

The stopper is whether New England can find enough money for Briggs (e.g., with the package that Thomas got), the #6 pick and #28. The answer is no, so they re-package those two picks for two first round picks between where the first and fourth rated CBs they want are projected to go. On paper though, the deal looks best for them.

This is fun. I know about bonuses built into contracts. In my contract to be GM, is it going to have an anti-bonus where I have to return money if my team (pick any of the three above) has a bust because of the deal?

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

just intergoogling Samuel's agent ... a guy named Alonzo Shavers.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

New post...

Posted by: PSF | April 5, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The other snag might be Pats trying to figure out whether Briggs is a player player or a system player. NE plays a base 3-4 defense compared to Chicago's 4-3. NE lost a starting outside LB to SF when Tully Banta-Cain signed there.

Also, not sure, but I think Tully Banta-Cain is a Star Wars character.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

sween, it's not too early for the Pats to renegotiate Adalius Thomas' contract to create some cap relief, is it?

Alonzo Shavers sounds like a guy who would get along really well with the Patriots, given their historical affiliation with electric shavers.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 5, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Heard an interesting interview on sports radio in providence yesterday with Scott Paioli. The Pats draft board is done and has been done for awhile. they pay zero attention to the scouting combine and scouting services. They only care about can the player play football, and can he play in our system, thats it.They rely on their own scouts and coaches and no one else only people who truly know thier system and what kind of player will fit.That is their system, along with the philospy that each position has a dollar value, in other words a ceiling. a center is only worth x guard y linebacker z... etc, the players are just employees (temps), they are all just temps and all are replaceable, therefore we will not pay above x for that position,. we are confident in the backup or the next guy we pick will play just as well or better for the money we are willing to pay at his position.That works when you win rings on a regular basis, players are willing short term to take less to win, ... but eventually they all want to get paid, Pats system is being tested.

Winning is the only system that will ultimately work. I think thats why the other owners hope we don't start to get it right, because if you think about it, our way potentialy is the best ie we have an owner that will pay sick money, we have a fanatical fan base, we play in a high profile city, we have a rich and storied history just.... add the winning

I'm not say'n.

Posted by: Old School | April 5, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

"... therefore we will not pay above x for that position, ...

Posted by: Old School | April 5, 2007 12:55 PM"

... unless the position is filled by Tom Brady, in which case, they will pay X + whatever else more that Tom Brady wants.

I hear ya, Old School ... but you (of all people) have to concede that the franchise maker, the REAL (untagged) franchise player is the QB and, before that position, every other position must kneel.

Posted by: dcsween | April 5, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

best idea ever! I have been saying that the NFL should do that for years! I need my spring fever taken care of!

Posted by: the rich | April 5, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

There are already three minor-league football circuits with NFL boostership: NFL Europe, the Arena Football League, and the CFL. Yep, all three are, in essence, NFL minor leagues.

That's why the NFL hasn't yet moved into Toronto or Mexico City. They're supporting these three other entities.

And you just know Goodell would like to get a Mexican league going; gridiron football is very popular in Mexican universities; look carefully at some of the soccer fields and you'll see hashmarks and numbers which have been painted over.

Posted by: The NFL minor league | April 5, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

An NFL-sponsored D-League like Mr. Lacanfora and Midnighterc propose is so unworkable as to be laughable. First of all, what possible audience is going to watch it? If the football culture is so fixated on high-school football on Friday nights, college football on Saturday afternoon, the NFL on Sunday, and one "centerpiece" game on Monday nights, when are you going to have a bunch of low-paid free agents playing their games with any sort of audience? Wednesdays???

Oh, sure, the NFL can use a minor-league system to test the waters for expansion (Toronto, Mexico City, Tuscaloosa, Oklahoma City, Los Angeles, Memphis, Shreveport-Bossier, Portland, San Antonio, Columbus).

Problem is, that's about the only way to test the waters for expansion, Now that greedy NFL owners are adding must-buy exhibition games into season-ticket plans, the league can't plan exhibition games for possible expansion cities.

Posted by: Y'all are crazy if u think ... | April 5, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"If the NFL really wanted to expand its reach, NFL Europe needs to expand into a true World League -- Cairo, Sydney, Moscow, Sao Paulo, Dublin, New Delhi. Then you might have something.

Posted by: Y'all are crazy if u think"

I have no problem with that hypotheticly. Give every NFL team a minor league team in another country, a few different divisions, Europe/Asia, Central/South America. I cant see people in the U.S. watch it though.

Posted by: 35332 | April 6, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

It's tough to plan a Spring League in the US...re: history. I've had the idea of how to imporve NFLE. Create another 2 franchises, bringing the total to 8. Allocate one team to one division. As an example the Amst Admirals would be the NFC East Team. Then I'd have a rooting interest and the players would have a competitive interest. They could wind up playing against each other twice in the Fall. I know that I wouldn't mind seeing the CowGirlz young CB in action, or the Gints new Tackle. But I KNOW that I'd watch a team that was 1/4 Redskin hopefuls.

It'd bring NFLE back onto FX and gain some US ratings. Meaning $$$$ to Danny.

Posted by: skinsfanbu | April 9, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse