Furrey faces yet another challenge

When Mike Furrey walked out of a Florida movie theater after watching "Get Him to the Greek," Tuesday night, he looked down at his cell phone and saw that he had six missed calls and a few texts from his agent. A team had finally put an offer on the table. He just didn't expect it to be the Redskins.

"I'd heard from other teams and talked to other teams," the veteran wide receiver said, "but nothing from Washington...It was a surprise Tuesday night to get that call to come up on Wednesday."

Furrey practiced with his new team for the first time Thursday, spending much of it on the sideline listening to coaches and asking questions as he tried to become acclimated to the offense.

"I spent a lot of time here yesterday trying to get up as fast as possible to get out here and practice today," said Furrey, who had been training in Florida. "The concepts I've been through...so it's just going to be a matter of picking up the terminology and making sure I get comfortable out there."

A walk-on at Ohio State, where he played for two seasons, Furrey decided to transfer to Football Championship Series Northern Iowa, where he set conference receiving records.

He signed as an undrafted free agent with the indianapolis Colts in 2000 but was waived after training camp. His next two stops were the XFL, with the Las Vegas Outlaws, and the AFL, where he played with the New York Dragons. He finally got another shot at the NFL in 2003, when he made the St. Louis Rams roster.

Furrey's best season was with Detroit in 2006, when he led the NFC with 98 catches for 1,086 yards and seven touchdowns. He caught 23 passes for 170 yards for the Cleveland Browns last season.

Now, at 33, the eight-year NFL veteran knows the odds against him are even longer.

"They start targeting you a little bit when you get in that plus-30, but during my whole career I've had to go through challenges," he said. "I've had to work hard to make teams and this will be no different."

Having learned to play some defense during his stay in the AFL, Furrey has played defense periodically since joining the NFL in 2003. In 2005 he intercepted four passes with the Rams and late last season he converted to defense to help a depleted Browns secondary. But both he and Coach Mike Shanahan said defense is not in his future with the Redskins.

"Right now we're just working on receiver," he said laughing. "I don't think they have any plans for defense."

By Jorge Castillo  |  June 11, 2010; 6:30 AM ET
Categories:  offseason workouts , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan, Redskins wrap up OTAs
Next: Poll: Albert Haynesworth's condition

Comments

Sigh. Another over the hill receiver. That's a FIRST.

Posted by: dragon2eden | June 11, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Not sure why they'd rule him out on defense...seems to me his greatest asset is his versatility. So long as he plays special teams, I guess I can live with it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

That 2006 season for Furrey was magical. For my fantasy football team. Furrey will always have a special place in my heart - the undrafted week 3 pickup that anchored my flex position.

Posted by: Section104 | June 11, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

actually like the Furrey signing...

not an overwhelming crew, more competition and versatility are helpful here. agreed w/ brownwood, special teams potential doesn't hurt either.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 11, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 6:28 AM

also have to say that I agree with Mosley's take on the OL:

"I don't trust that offensive line one bit."

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 11, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Signing Furrey is a panic move. Obviously Shanahan doesn't like what he sees at WR. If you just want camp fodder you'd bring in some young guys. But Shanahan must need someone to actually play. Is he expecting Moss to be unavailable? Are DT and MK continuing to underwhelm?

Not a good sign.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | June 11, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't either Moo, but I just don't have the "gloom and doom" attitude about it. It's far from fixed, but I can pretty confidently say this line isn't as bad as it was last year. Plus great coaching (which I believe we have now) can cover up whatever we lack in talent.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Furrey is a panic move. Shanahan said they needed WR bodies out there because of injuries and absences. I think it's a simple as that. You can't have 5 WRs running every play when there are 80+ people at OTAs. And Furrey isn't competing for the #1 or #2 spot...more like the last WR spot on the roster.

Posted by: Section104 | June 11, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 7:50 AM

not gloom and doom, more of a realistic assessment... we're somewhat better (see Williams and possibly Williams), and yes the coaching change should help. but I'm willing to be patient.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 11, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Moo, like I've said before...injuries is the only way this line is a disaster again. There's no depth there, but the starting lineup isn't awful. Provided Trent Williams plays anywhere near expectations, the left side of the line should be fine. It's the MW/Hicks/Heyer clusterf*ck of mediocrity that scares me. All we need is for one or two of those guys to play well for the offense to show marked improvement.

DS, I don't get how Furrey is a "panic move"...he's a decent NFL WR that the Skins signed to compete for a spot. Trading a 2nd round pick for Jason Taylor after a training camp injury is a panic move...getting a depth player in June is far from it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:01 AM

yep, same concerns here, injuries are par for the course on any team...

haven't checked out the Football Outsiders link to "history-adjusted games lost", but for the stats-minded folks here, seems like that would be one way to look at this issue.

still, I think we're agreeing to agree?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 11, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

LOL Moo...sounds about right. It's quiet on the blog so competitive agreement appears to be the thing to do right now.

Or at least until Greg comes on here in a few minutes to brag on his Celtics.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

If you just want camp fodder you'd bring in some young guys.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | June 11, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

So you can waste your staffs time teaching them technique and what not? I don't think so. Get an old guy, drop him in the lineup, and let him earn some camp money for running around and giving your QB and DBs practice.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 11, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

no bragging brown, was a good game, glad the celtics won. So the scuttlebutt is that Bynum is D-U-N....for the rest of the series...going to do some research on this one...that will DRAMTICALLY change the outlook going forward.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

More competition equals, best man wins a roster spot, equals better team, equals more depth, equals….
If I were emperor I’d post a wanted sign outside of Redskins Park that said “Want a chance to start on a professional football team? Apply within”.
Just saying I would want every football player to know they have a chance and are welcome here if they can make the team and make us better.
More Camp Fodder…Gooood :-)

Posted by: campfodder | June 11, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Injuries are basically 'the only way this line is a disaster again' for most teams. I didn't think our line was that bad last year until the injuries took away Thomas and Samuels. The biggest flaw was trusting Heyer at RT and not providing someone there to help out. If we had ANY depth whatsoever last year then we wouldn't be in this mess. See, Vinny keeps f*cking us and he's not even here anymore. His ghost will haunt the hallways at Redksins Park for years....MUAH HA HA!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | June 11, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

If I were emperor...

Posted by: campfodder | June 11, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

Talent-Evaluator/League-Source/beep-beep blows another screen name :)

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 11, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Good for you Greg...but don't read too much into Bynum. After all, the refs haven't decided who they want to win yet...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"Right now we're just working on receiver," he (Furrey) said laughing.

Like we said yesterday, we endorse the Furrey signing.

For the second thread in a row, mistamayor fails to acknowledge the added special team play benefit the signing brings--and remember, the lack of special team play was one of the knocks against Marko Mitchell.

And you have to thank the FO for choosing a journeyman/gamer like Mike Furrey over the signal of desperation a T.O. signing would've meant.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

More camp bodies...that's all nothing more.

Posted by: gixxer998 | June 11, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

brown, no kidding, one of the owners of the Celtics found DStern on Tuesday, and began berating him about the lack of quality in the refs this finals series.....

Last night fouls #2, and #3 on Sheed, were just abject failure on the refs part. Pow falls down, and someone needs to get whistled....shame really...they've ruined the game.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

"...Another over the hill receiver..."

Those of use who are over the hill point out that we have at the least climbed a mountain.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 8:30 AM

True...but how long do we address the back portion of the depth chart at WR before we improve the top?

Just playin' a little devil's advocate here....haha.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Something interesting for those who quit on Madden after they stopped the PC version:

New NFL online game coming in September
Posted by Mike Florio on June 11, 2010 7:25 AM ET
Several years ago, the NFL granted an exclusive video-game license to Electronic Arts, producers of the Madden franchise. Some have complained in the aftermath of EA's decision to buy the ability to block off any competitors has caused some year-to-year stagnation of the Madden game.

But now, competition has emerged. Via a company known as Quick Hit. The business of which we'd never previously heard has finagled a license from the league to use NFL team names, logos, and trademarks for a PC-based football game. Multiple NFL players already have a role in the non-NFL version of the Quick Hit product, along with former NFL coaches Bill Cowher and Brian Billick.

Patriots receiver Randy Moss has a seat on the company's board of directors, and he became a spokesman for the product earlier this year -- a marketing deal obtained by his former agent, Tim DiPiero, whom Moss supposedly fired in order to get more marketing deals.

Beyond Moss and a handful of other players, the game won't feature names of actual NFL players stitched onto the backs of jerseys. As Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald points out, the Foxborough-based company has yet to finalize a license with the NFLPA.

Though it remains to be seen whether a deal can be reached with the NFLPA, some wonder how Quick Hit and the NFL found a way around EA's supposedly exclusive license.

"That's a better question for EA," Quick Hit CEO Jeff Anderson told Jon Robinson of ESPN.com. "I don't have a copy of the contract they have with the NFL, but for us, it's a tremendous opportunity. Adding the NFL really transforms this product from a really cool Flash game to an incredibly authentic online football game. We're going to be the first mover in the space. The only place you're going to be able to play an NFL licensed game on your PC this fall is 'Quick Hit.'"

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

A friend of mine just called me from an air plane. Leaving Maryland on his way to vacation at Atlantis, guess who is on his flight??? That’s right Albert Haynesworth!!! When do mandatory OTAs start?

Posted by: cb50 | June 11, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"... our current stable of other WRs = Moss, Galloway, Wade, Thomas, Kelly, Banks, Austin, Armstrong, Williams, Hodge, Hagans, (Furrey)..."

So what's the early bet on the #4 and #5 receiver?

The depth chart:

1. Moss

2. Kelly

3. Thomas

4. Austin?

5. ?

If you're a vet like Galloway or Furrey or Wade you look at that listing and think you can make the team.

Why?: The Redskins--outside of S Moss--really don't feature the kind of fear-inducing wide receiver groups you see across the league.

In fact, the team has been 'snakebit' for some time at wide receiver as a variety of players (The FAIL List: Gardner, Coles, Westbrook, Howard, Jacobs, Lloyd, Randle El) have come, not satisfied, and moved on.

And unless M Kelly and D Thomas have some measurable improvement this Fall, they'll join that FAIL list as well.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

The foul that Sheed went batsh*t on and promptly got T'd up he absolutely fouled Kobe Byrant or whoever it was...

Sheed is a complete asshat who goes postal for no reason at all. It was funny watching the Celts fans at court-side yelling at him to calm down.

Not a doubt in my mind that this series is going seven now. Even when the C's win game 5.

The refs notwithstanding, I like how the series is going. There is a different catalyst for each team in their wins.

Game 1 - Gasol
Game 2 - Allen/Rondo
Game 3 - Fisher
Game 4 - Davis/Robinson

Funny how the Celtics have two guys that step it up in their wins while the Lakers only have one.

Celtics are the better team.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

red, the 2nd foul that sheed got, pow just fell down, and sheed got called for it...didn't even touch llama, and still got called for it....disgraceful...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:41 AM

I’m not a huge gamer, but I buy a new Madden every 4 or 5 years. I don’t really care about the names as much as them getting the numbers right. If they (this new company) do classic teams it would be nice to play the 82 skins where the QB is actually #7, running back #44, etc……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"The Celtics are the better team."

That's why we have them winning the whole thing in 7 games.

But you should expect a Kobe Bryant thunderstorm sometime before that happens.

'Cuz that dude, like most stars, ain't gone let a ring slip past without him forcing his will on the situation.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Okay at this point I am starting to think that Shanallenhans actually think that this the 2007 NFL season not the 2010 NFL season. B Wade, Furrey, Galloway, Moss at receiver. CP26, LJ and Fast Willie in the backfield with Dmac. Were chop full of pro Bowlers from 2004-2007.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 11, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

(The FAIL List: Gardner, Coles, Westbrook, Howard, Jacobs, Lloyd, Randle El)

Coles with the Redskins:

2003: 82 catches, 1204 yards, 6 TDs
2004: 90 catches, 950 yards, 1 TD

Not great, but damn decent IMO. I wouldn't call that "FAIL". Even Westbook had some okay seasons with the Redskins, but for the 4th overall selection he should've amounted to a whole lot more.

The rest are 100% FAIL.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

red, your comments about Westbrook, bring to mind the 1999 season. That was a GREAT squad. Westbrook and Connell each going over 1000 yards, Davis had a great year, Brad J threw for over 4k...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Westbrook was the biggest bust on that Fail List because of the potential he had. I remember when he actually PLAYED and was HEALTHY, he would take over a game, he was such a beast.....maybe 30% of the time! But there's a reason they are all on that list, including Westbrook.

Posted by: monk811 | June 11, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I don't think there's no secret that I'm a Kobe Bryant fan, but I don't know about him going off for 35 or 40+ like we usually expect him to do in situations like this.

Not against this team.

Celtics defense is just too good. Bryant was awesome last night and in game 1, but the Lakers have only went over the century mark once in the series.

That indicates the tempo is favoring the Celtics.

And Ron Artest can show up anytime he's ready. Artest missing jumpers? Fine. But point blank layups? Inexcusable.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Red

L Coles did have decent numbers during his short ime as a redskin.

But, if I remember correctly, he decided to 'bail out' on St Joe's '90s' offense.

So, in order to accomodate his tampon-inspired whining, we sent him back to NY and got S Moss in return.

And no matter what has happened, S Moss has yet to openly complain.

We got a much better player--and person--in return.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

"When Mike Furrey walked out of a Florida movie theater after watching "Get Him to the Greek,...."

So how was the movie?

I've heard there's nothing worth seeing.

I'm curious about movies as it's Date Nite--the one night a month when mrsmoe is willing to be seen with me in public.

She usually asks me to follow her at ten paces so no one will think we're together, and I oblige as she agrees, in return, to pay for everything.

I'm wondering if "Get Him to the Greek" is worth her money or if a visit to the comedy club (I love those places!!!) would be better.

Decisions, decisions, decicions: and all I have to do is maintain my distance to have fun.

And not spend money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 11, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

New NFL online game coming in September
Posted by Mike Florio on June 11, 2010 7:25 AM ET

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 11, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

That would be me. This is reasonably interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 11, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

not about defense, only WR.

So, as I stated in the post regarding Furrey's signing, this may be more about seeing Galloway has lost another step in his 38 year old legs, and w/ Moss perhaps getting suspended, someone w/ experience is indeed needed wk. 1

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | June 11, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Ryan Moats to the SKins...

Book it!

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 11, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 11, 2010 8:52 AM

Lakers win the next two. Allen's confidence is shot (dude was scared to shoot at times last night)and KG is done as far as being a force. No excuse for letting Big Baby have his way like that but he's used up his 15 minutes.

Bean, your whining about calls after every game is sad. This is a physical series and the refs have been letting a lot of sjk go. I love Sheed but has he ever committed a foul? He complains every time he's called for one. And truth be told Sheed is hacking the hell out of Gasol.

Red, are you watching the World Cup? SA and Mexico are getting it in son.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Bean, your whining about calls after every game is sad.

haha, yeah thats what I've done. Right. Actually whats sad is that I cited 2 specific examples, pow-pow falling when no one was around him, and sheed getting called for it. Thats good basketball to you?? Thats what you're looking for in a sporting event?? Bullcrap calls?? Really lh??

"KG is done"

I mean, you watched game #3 right??

Know what, nevermind, you're obviously too stupid based on what you've written....enjoy your day.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Red, are you watching the World Cup? SA and Mexico are getting it in son.
Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 11, 2010 10:10 AM |

Sounds like they should send an immigration raid down to all those DC bars that opened at 7am this morning. Are they selling beer yet?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | June 11, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

beep beep x 2

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 11, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

There seem to be four camps on Furrey:

1. "He's just camp fodder": They brought in a veteran receiver just to catch balls in practice. With 12 receivers on the roster (including two pass-catching TEs who will feature prominently in the passing offense), this seems dubious. Usually you give a shot to younger players who are candidates for the practice squad.

2. "He's veteran depth": We need an older wiser babysitter for DT and MK. With Moss, Wade, and Galloway already on the roster, this seems unnecessary. But Moss is under a cloud of suspicion and likely to miss time and Galloway has lost a step, so Furrey will be the locker room player/coach.

3. "He's versatile": Furrey contributes on teams and can play safety in an emergency. This was exactly why the Browns signed him last year.

4. "We're freakin' doomed": Someone expects Furrey to actually catch balls this season.

I guess #3 is a possibility -- you don't see a lot of 32-year-old gunners, but maybe they see something I don't.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | June 11, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The Head Coach, General Manager and the Smart and Competitive Quarterback of the Washington Redskins knows he is going to get bazookaed to often, just not as often as his predecessor who was at least younger and took some Mighty Blows.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | June 11, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse