Keenan McCardell charged with improving wide receivers in first year as assistant coach

There are 11 wide receivers on the Washington Redskins' roster. More than half will likely be gone by opening day. In the meantime, their improvement is the responsibility of first-year wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell, a 17-year NFL veteran who played for the Redskins in 2007.

"All the guys understand that with this new system, all the guys need to study a little harder than usual because we're putting in a new system and getting acclimated to all the new phrases and formations we put in," McCardell said. "When they come back in training camp, they can be reacting and not just thinking."

The position has been a source of intrigue for Redskins fans since the team drafted Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft. Viewed as the future of the team's passing game, neither Thomas nor Kelley has developed into a consistent performer during his first two seasons. McCardell said the third year is when the development  comes together for wide receivers, although he reserved his judgment on all the players in his unit at this point in the offseason.

"You start to understand, see coverages right away, identify them earlier," McCardell said. "You can really adjust on the fly, read defenses on the fly and just let your natural ability show in the third year. That's what should happen. And those guys are starting to understand it. They're going through a new offense and learning a whole new offense."

McCardell remains confident in returning starter Santana Moss while Moss recovers from a knee injury. McCardell spoke from experience when discussing Moss, his former teammate. He said Moss can actually use the time off the field to learn, and that what he observes will help when he's at full speed on the field.

The Redskins added help at the position during the offseason, including veteran Joey Galloway. At 38, Galloway has just 20 catches in the past two seasons and must prove he can still play after 15 seasons in the NFL.

"He understands he has to show folks that he can run, and he's done it," McCardell said. "People tend to think that you're a 15-, 16-year veteran, you don't get better. You can get better each time out on the field. You just got to want to."

The Redskins have also been linked to former Pro Bowl wide receiver Terrell Owens, who has been a nemisis of the franchise during stints with the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys. Owens, 36, remains an unsigned free agent.

"I'm just going to coach whoever's in my room. If it happens, it happens," McCardell said. "I'm going to coach my own as they are and I got to make sure they step out on the field and make plays. So I'm not going to say it's good or bad. If he comes, he'll definitely help us. But right now, I got to coach what we have. It's something I don't know if it's going to happen or not."

Regardless, McCardell is encouraged by his group. He immediately characterized the players as "young" -- only three have played in the NFL for more than three seasons -- and said there remains heavy competition for roster spots.

"I know we can't keep everybody," McCardell said, "but my job is to get everybody better and make it a tough decision down the line."

By Zach Berman  |  June 4, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Santana Moss , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Allen brothers, together again
Next: Reed Doughty breaks bone in hand, will continue to work out

Comments

Am I the only one that can see through the smoke. Mcnabb won't make it through the whole season and he was just another signing to draw fans to FedUp Field. Prepare for more of the same, as in the last 10 years.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-MCNABB IS JUST ANOTHER FLASHY SIGNING-HOIST THE OFFSEASON LOMBARDI TROPHY!

Posted by: hessone | June 4, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

If you don't like it hessone, then there's the door. The Ravens are always looking for a few good defectors...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | June 4, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | June 4, 2010 7:09 AM

LOL...you should have no worries with Washington, my friend. Pittsburgh and Miami fans aren't so fortunate though...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Damn it's dead up here...and I don't expect to see Greg today since his Celts got beat down.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | June 4, 2010 6:43 AM

Hess...Last time I checked....Donovan McNabb came to the Redskins via TRADE...not Free Agency. Follow the facts.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | June 4, 2010 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: tundey | June 4, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

You To?? I think they could have used a better word choice than "charged"!

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | June 4, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

brown, oh you better believe that BeantownGreg will be up here today. He'll be in a bad mood which is more than acceptable have after a loss in the finals.

His first victim will be hessone. Or so I hope.

But the finals are far from over. I find it funny that people are anointing Gasol (I actually heard both Mike Wilbon and Mike Wise say that he's deserving of the HOF) based off one game. Gasol played like a beast last night, but I'll only be sold on him shedding that "Gasoft" label when he does it on a consistent basis.

If he does play like that throughout the series, it might be over in 4 or 5.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

ha, you guys are funny, no, no victims today, Celts played lousy, got out hustled, got beaten to their spots, you name it, the Lakers out played them, and the Celts allowed it to happen...

red, hessone is victim of himself, nothing I can say, or do, will change that one trick pony.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya Red...I missed the game (as I miss most NBA games since I go to bed so early), but when I saw the final score I figured the Lakers out-physicaled Boston. But you're right...I don't buy Gasol hype until him playing ball like a man is more habit and less aberration.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ejharrisjr40
---------------------
Take a cue from everyone else and just ignore the village idiot. Hoping he just goes away.

Posted by: shanks1 | June 4, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

This just in:
Keenan McCardell and Santana Moss of the Washington Redskins were seen injecting each other with HGH. Moss was using the banned substance to heal from his injury, McCardell just wanted to look cool to the younger players and buckled under the peer pressure.

In a similar story, DT Albert Haynesworth was seen spreading HGH on a twinkie and eating it whole. When asked why, he said he needed something to heal his azz from the 25 extra spicy burritoes he had last night.

More on these stories, and an update on Dan Snyder's severely kissed azz later.....

Posted by: monk811 | June 4, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

There he is...glad you made it, Greg. Your Celts will be fine. I'd be shocked if this series doesn't go 6 or 7 games.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

If he does play like that throughout the series, it might be over in 4 or 5.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Red I agree with you. Gasol is a nice player, but he hasn't had too many games like last night. By the way, what has happened to KG? His game disappeared overnight it seems.

As for our receivers, it would be nice to hear that someone is distinguishing themselves. I don't hear much praise or confidence from the coaching staff, and you keep hearing rumors about TO and others. Maybe they're keeping things close to the vest. Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a bit worried about our receiving corps. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: mj25 | June 4, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

I’m better than I was tonight,’’ Garnett said afterward in the glum visitors locker room. “I played like horse[expletive].’’

thats the personal responsibility I like to see out of athletes. I'd be willing to bet that KG comes out PISSED OFF on Sunday....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

I can't think of any WR who got more production out of less natural talent than Keenan McCardell. Not very big and not very fast, and somehow he managed to come up with big play after big play.

Thomas and Kelly: don't forget that neither was a first-round choice. 2008 was that weird draft class in which NO wide receivers went in the first round (there was actually a TE drafted before any of them). Ten WRs went in the second, with Kelly following Donnie Avery of St Louis, and Kelly going 51st, the 8th WR taken and after two more TEs had been selected. The Skins got much grief for passing on Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson, but they also wisely passed on 6'6" James Hardy and on Jerome Simpson, who has 1 catch so far in the NFL. If you want a real bad-luck kid, consider Pittsburgh's Limas Sweed, selected two picks after Kelly, who contracted Lyme disease and then ruptured his achilles a few weeks ago, during a padless drill in mini-camp.

How good are Thomas and Kelly? Nobody yet knows. I imagine their development suffered at least a little over the past two seasons, like most young players under the past regime. Both seem to be healthy (cross your fingers), and as for the rest of it, we'll see.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 4, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mj25 | June 4, 2010 8:22 AM

That said, if they show up and look solid in training camp we should be alright. But a Moss suspension and any inclination that Thomas and/or Kelly just aren't ready for prime time, the TO talk is just going to get louder and louder. Especially when right now the dude is making news for NOT making news...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant Devin Thomas followed Avery of St Louis in the '08 draft -- Kelly went 51st.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 4, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

I keep hoping that the combination of better QB play, better coaching staff with NFL caliber play calling, and a little better health will make a big difference. McNabb did a lot in Philly without having pro bowl receivers (other than TO one season). For now, I'm still drinking the Kool Aid.

Posted by: mj25 | June 4, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

"I'm with you on that...seems to me if Devin Thomas and/or Malcolm Kelly were looking good, we'd be hearing a lot about it. Since we're not, it kinda raises a red flag."

Have you noticed not a lot of stuff is leaking out of these practices? Very different from last off-season. Only recent exception appears to be Haslett extolling Lo Alexander and Shanahan's early praise of BMW. Otherwise they seem to keep pretty tight control of the gossip.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 4, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Good point Samson...so maybe not hearing much on the Kelly/Thomas front isn't so bad after all.

mj25, I hope you're right. Seems to me McNabb actually has more advantages here than he did much of his time in Philly...Shanahan is surely better than Reid, plus Cooley and Moss are Pro-Bowl players the likes of which McNabb never had until last season. Thomas and Kelly don't have to be great, they just need to be good.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I thought it was interesting what Greg Cosell said about Jason Campbell -- that he was never a good fit in the West Coast. I was also interested in comments about the Iggles thinking Kolb will be better in their WCO than McNabb was. But that's not so unusual. You could hardly design a QB less suited for a traditional WCO than Brett Favre, and look at all the success he had. And John Elway tossing short passes in Denver? Ridiculous, and yet they won two titles. McNabb was a square peg in a round hole in the Philly scheme, and yet like Favre and Elway, he had a knack for making plays, particularly outside the pocket. In fact, you could say that about Jay Cutler and Jake Plummer, too. Maybe that's what Shanahan really looks for in a QB.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 4, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

co-sign....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Samson, the thing about the Shanahan version of the WCO is that you don't have to be a textbook WCO passer to succeed in it. It's the most run-heavy version of the WCO there is and that helps cover up any of the deficiencies of the passer. Can't wait to see DMac in it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

DT will be the #1 receiver this year.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 4, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, maybe we're like those organizations that win and keep things in house, rather than in the news.

Brown, it's interesting how LJ Smith and some of their other tight ends have had one good year then fade away. We'll see about Celek.
As for Mcnabb's advantages, how about running the ball more than 35% of the time. I know this is a passing league, but I never understood the iggles passing so much.

Posted by: mj25 | June 4, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse
_________

Gasol's soft, huh? Care to change your opinion now?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I can send you a link to a great version of "I Love LA" if you'd like one.

Just kidding...couldn't resist. Game 1 does not make a series. Hopefully the Lakers will come out with the same intensity in game 2.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Can't help but feel a little apprehensive when McCardell says

"all the guys need to study a little harder than usual because we're putting in a new system and getting acclimated to all the new phrases and formations we put in"

Alot of us are banking on Devin Thomas taking big steps forward this season. But didn't he have alot of trouble picking up Zorn's Baby Einstein playbook? Now the formations and schemes are MORE complicated???

*Gulp*

Posted by: p1funk | June 4, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 8:00 AM

C'mon son. You keep calling Gasol soft. Why because he doesn't smack guys down going to the basket. He's the best big in game. Period. Gasol has been with the Lakers for three years and the Lakers have been in the Finals for three years. Coincidence? I think not. KG's got too many miles on his tires to at this point to pose any obstacle to Pau. The Lakers in 5. I would say 4 but I give the the Celts credit for having too much heart for a sweep.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"DT will be #11 this year.

Book it."

There, fixed it for ya O_e.

I'm kidding...hopefully DT will step his game up like you say.

SportsCenter is saying John Wooden is in "grave condition". Sad...

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Please do not suggest that Thomas and Kelly aren't good receivers. That would be a huge set back... a decision that would be HEAVILY criticized for YEARS... even more than Portis/Bailey trade, Lavar release, or Pierce "low-balling".

All of the above is just something that I don't want to think about.

But I agree, it's sort of concerning you're not hearing the "talk-up" of Kelly and Thomas and you hear it with guys they have less invested in like Lo Alexander.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

"When I first saw the title "Keenan McCardell charged with..." , I was like "oh no...""

Yeah, me too. :)

After I kept reading I thought "They REALLY should have used a better word there."

"...responsible for..." would have worked there also Zach. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 4, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

713, yeah, one game doesn't change a career's worth of being soft....sorry..

"He's the best big in game"

ahahahahahahah....lh made a funny. Good one....did you hear the one about the Rabbi, the Priest and the Nun....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

There is no true West Coast Offense anymore. Sure, the verbage is the same, but each coach runs it a different way. Campbell got picked up for 'West Coast Offense School' by the Short Bus, aka Jim Zorn. He needs a coach that can devise an offense around him and to his strengths.

If he was playing during Joe Gibb's first run, he would have been an AllPro quarterback, cause Gibbs was famous for succeeding with so many different players, especially quarterbacks. That being said, he'll finish his career with solid numbers every year for a few different teams and always gain the respect of the fans/players because he's tough and doesn't complain, but he'll never win the 'Big One', because he can't command a huddle and can't lead a team from behind.

Posted by: monk811 | June 4, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

They want the young receivers to keep working like they have something to prove. You can't heap praise on them because they may begin to feel they have arrived.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mj25 | June 4, 2010 8:57 AM

Right...I'll never understand why Eagles fans have so much venom for McNabb when that FO never got him elite receiving targets and Reid called more passes than Mike Martz on 5 Hour Energy. I could see if they were loaded at WR like Arizona has been the last few years, but they're pretty routinely mediocre at that spot. Seems to me McNabb is so far down the list of blame for their failure to win a title, it's ridiculous.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I was talking up KG this playoffs, and I was pretty disappointed with what I saw last night. KG was relegated to shooting step-back 10 footers while Gasol had his way in the paint. The comparative stat-line is a little embarassing. If KG has any of the old-KG left in the tank (and I suspect he does), he really needs to let it rip in the next game.

Posted by: p1funk | June 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Who's better Bean?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse
--------------------

Hold the special sauce, killer!

The Ickles success was tied mostly to their D, not their offense. And the one year they got over the hump, it was with a motivated and primed TO.

I mean, I'm all for almost fanatical devotion to the pope, but sheesh! Giving this team the pre-season advantage over those blitz-yer-nipples-off Philly defenses in their prime?

And giving the coaching advantage to Shanahan based on last decade and not this one? That's optimistic, to say the least.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 4, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, lets start with DHoward. How about that.

If you're starting a team today, who do you pick, Gasol, or Howard??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"He's the best big in game."

And the Wiz could have had him.

**sigh**

KG is old, BUT the series is not over yet.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 4, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"If you're starting a team today, who do you pick, Gasol, or Howard??"

Gasol right now, talk to me a few years.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | June 4, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Sorry, lh. I still have memories of the '08 finals when Gasol was a NON-factor in that entire series. And whether anyone who's in his fan club wants to admit it or not it was due to him being totally intimidated by Garnett and Perkins.

In fact, the entire team (except for Kobe) appeared to lack heart in that series. What do you think the Artest signing was for? Why do you think that Artest made it his business to set the tone last night by getting tangled up with Paul Pierce?

Gasol has all the talent in the world. Never once said that he wasn't good or that he wasn't the best skilled big in the NBA. Bottom line: Gasol is a fineness player. I don't look for him to get rugged or physical, and those are traits that are REQUIRED in your 4's and 5's.

The Lakers have been in the finals three years and Gasol has been there three years. Okay.... I guess the development of other players and acquiring Ron Artest would have nothing to do with that. Two out of three years the Lakers made it to the finals they were the favorites -- 2009 & 2010 -- I'd say that is attributed to getting Artest. A player with physicality and plays with an edge. Something that Gasol is not. Period.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

If he does play like that throughout the series, it might be over in 4 or 5.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse
_______

You just haven't been paying attention. He has been an aggressive player for basically two seasons now. He's been rebounding like a madman and killing people in the post. I've been telling ya'll for a week that he's not nearly the same player that everyone saw in the 2008 finals. I don't believe that you have your facts in order here.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Don't McCardell's comments remind everyone of the many tiems we have heard this refrain ("it is a new system"). Sounds a bit like the excuse if receiver performance is not so good. How many times did we hear how good Campbell or Lavar were but that they had to learn a new system? After all these years of failure, not sure how much benefit of the doubt the Redskins deserve. A wait and see approach seems prudent.

Posted by: buster5 | June 4, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe that you have your facts in order here.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------

RI has a standing order to kill on site any and all facts. Sometimes we bend the rules and torture them a bit before sending them to the glue pot, but the end result is always satisfying (in some dimension)

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 4, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Gasol or Howard?

I'll pass on both.

Howard - weak minded
Gasol - just plain soft (what big shoots fade away jumpers and floaters IN THE PAINT?)

The you need a "big man to win" crap in the NBA is dead.

It's a guard/forward driven league now.

Give me guys like Noah, Brook Lopez, Marcus Camby, and Al Jefferson any day over those two.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 4, 2010 9:12 AM

First of all, NOBODY'S coached in this decade. The 2010 season doesn't start till September. Just sayin'...

And the defense was the basis for Philly's success? Really? That D was up and down a lot and certainly played well when they won, but I wouldn't say it was the backbone of that team. That team was mostly McNabb and that was its biggest problem--not giving #5 the kind of help he needed to get them over the hump.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Bean, Gasol is a better more skilled basketball player than Howard. I don't see how you can argue otherwise. DHoward is a nice power player but he doesn't make other players around him better. Unlike Howard, Gasol can get points in myriad ways. Gasol can pass, dribble, and shoot miles better than Howard. He won't block as many shots but he's a good defender and rebounder. I doubt DHoward could have led the Grizzlies teams Pau played for to the playoffs like Pau did. You don't really follow the NBA so I don't know why I'm even debating the merits of Gasol's play with you.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

By the way, how does the conversation go when Shanahan calls Westbrook:

MS: Come on over, we'll prove to everyone you still got it. And you can knock your brother over in practice.

BW: yeah, but you've got CP, WP, and LJ and some kid you drafted.

MS: Yeah but you're really the key to our running game.

BW: Isn't that what you said to LJ and WP?

MS: yes, but this time I really mean it.

BW: I'll get back to you.

Somebody must look pretty bad in OTA's for MS to want another RB. Yikes! I need some more Kool Aid.

Posted by: mj25 | June 4, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

skinsfan713,

Again, name any noted big in the history of the league who shot fade away jumpers and floaters in the paint on a regualr basis?

Let me help you: You can't because there isn't one.

C's had a brain farts on D all night last night. You're truly living in "LA-LA" land if you're thinking that will happen the entire series.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

lh, gasol is a better passer, but Howard is a better defender, and a better rebounder, so there you go....debate that

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse
___________________

First of all, considering that Artest wasn't with the team last year, the 2009 championship had nothing to do with him. During that series, Gasol singlehandedly outplayed and frustrated Dwight Howard, who no one considers to be a finesse player. More to the point, though, certainly Ron Ron is a vastly different player than Gasol, but that doesn't make Gasol "soft". Artest learned the game in a very rough, tough part NYC, and that carries over to his game today. He doesn't have the greatest natural ability - he's just stronger, tougher, and more determined than basically anyone else on the court. That's his style. Gasol's skills make him play kind of like a point guard in a center's body. That's his game. I'm sorry, but toughness in an NBA game doesn't equate to how many times you can punch Dwight Howard and get away with it. Toughness in this context means, for a C/PF, how aggressively are you going to go to the hole, rebound, and hold your ground on both ends. Gasol's done that in spades for two seasons. Would Garnett win a wrestling match, yeah, but so what? Did Gasol look intimidated in 2008? Yeah, probably due to both his presence in his first NBA finals and Garnett. But, I'm telling you, it is completely inaccurate to call him soft now. Personally, I think Garnett would be better served by giving up his faux-intimidation routine and focus on maintaining his fundamental skills, which having absolutely eroded.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Red name the player on the Lakers who "developed" and helped make the three Finals appeareances possible.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay now were stretching a bit.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

skinsfan713,

Let me help you: You can't because there isn't one.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse
________

I haven't mentioned a thing about the rest of the series except to say that I hope the Lakers come out with the same intensity in game 2. But the celtics didn't have brain farts - that got outmuscled, outhustled, and outplayed. Will this continue? I sure hope so.

Who wouldn't want a C/PF who could shoot fadeaway jumpers and play a low post game? Huh? Isn't that a tremendous benefit? Part of why Gasol is so good is because defenders can't deal with his skillset. Making a defending C have to defend a 6 foot jumper is bringing him out of his natural comfort zone, which is good, not bad.

And the answer to your question is, off the top of my head, Dirk Nowitzki, who I'm not a tremendous fan of, but who most basketball experts think is a hall of famer. Also, I would put Kareem and his sky hook in that same category.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay now were stretching a bit.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse
_______

More like, ridiculous.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Probably the #1 sporting event ever to happen in the DC area.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 3, 2010 9:07 PM |

I hope it is enjoying its final hours. Stephen Strasburg vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates, June 8.

Posted by: TalkToTheHand | June 3, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but unless Strasburg does something spectacular, like throw a no-no or a perfest game (that doesn't get screwed up by someone - - say, an umpire?), his debut won't even COME CLOSE to being the no. 1 sporting event ever in the DC area. The only way that Tuesday's Nats game would have any significance whatsoever - it is, after all, just a regular season game between two teams that are unlikely to be going anywhere this season - would be if Strasburg goes on to fulfill his admittedly-vast potential. If he flames out early because of injury or becomes just another talent who never reaches his potential, his debut becomes just another game in a 162-game schedule.

I would put any of the Redskins' NFC Championship games at RFK or the Bullets' win in game 6 of the NBA finals over Seattle in 1978 at what was then the Capital Center over the Strasburg debut as the no. 1 sporting event ever in the DC area. But THE number 1 event, in my lifetime, anyway, was the 1966 NCAA championship game at Cole Field House in College Park, when Texas Western beat Kentucky in a game whose significance went far beyond the basketball court.

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 4, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Well we all saw how the Karma of Zorn biking with George W. Bush worked out.

I'd advise Shanahan not to get too chummy with Mr. Macaca, tho I respect the delicate position he's in.

One of the reasons why the 'skins actually jntegrated is their lilly white squad inspired Blacks from other teams to elevate their game.

Having a close association with a guy run out of a Presidential race because of his racially insensitive remarks is not the way to inspire your own African American Players, or defuse opponents.

Obviously a "Hi, how are you" and occasional brotherly meals w/ both allens can't be avoided--but let's not overdo ir.

Posted by: TheCork | June 3, 2010 7:57 PM

This has to be the most stupdest thing you have ever said.

* Mr. 'Maccaca' is the freakin GM's brother and their father was some dude immoratalized in Redskins History. Also, if you can read, you see he was their pimping some book of his, otherwise he wouldn't really have had a reason to come out there in the 1st place.

*George Allen was running for reeelection of the Senate Race, not the Presidential Race.

* Also, Gibbs has chilled with Bush as well.....cuz he's a Republican too....

Wow.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Tim Duncan > Pau Gasol

/ discussion

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

"* Re: Bush - Shanny has hosted TWO events for Bush's election and reelection idiot! One at Mile High Stadium and the other at the Denver airport. AND.....Their daughters went to the same school. They were roomates I believe. Shanny's daughter was in Bush's daughter's wedding."

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2010 9:53 AM
...............

yikes! ...let's hope that, unlike bush, shanny resides in the reality-based community.

zcezcest1,
surely you jest in saying strasburg's start is the #1 sporting event ever in wash.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | June 4, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

*****************************************

WRONG....sherm Lewis, the BINGO caller everyone save for me and a few others were making fun of, was installing the base packages and plays of what Shanny would run when he came in. I was saying this during last season. And earlier in the year a few other players said the same thing as far as what they are learning now is an extension of what they learned last year......

Posted by: 4thFloor | June 4, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

PPS, Tim Duncan used to be better than Gasol. He isn't better than him right now. The tread on those tires is very thin. His team was swept out of the playoffs and he did.

I'm done talking Gasol. I'll let his game speak for him in these Finals.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Also re: Macaca

The comment was not directed toward an African American, the kid was of Indian descent.

Posted by: Original_etrod | June 4, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Reed Doughty injury beeps.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

skinsfan713,

Let me help you: You can't because there isn't one.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse
________

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I think that Nowitzki does most of his damage from the perimeter, and my recollection is that Kareem was moving across the lane, not falling away, on most of his "Sky Hooks." However, Elvin Hayes' signature move was a lethal fall-away jumper from the low post. And, as a Hall-of-Famer and one of the 50 best NBA players of the league's first 50 years, he was certainly "noted."

Posted by: rbpalmer | June 4, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Okay now were stretching a bit.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 4, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse
_______

More like, ridiculous.

Posted by: skinsfan713

Stu, go check the stats of those guys. They're better defenders and rebounders than Gasol. If you actually knew where the NBA is today, instead of going off name and what you see on Sportscenter highlights, then you would understand that in todays NBA, big men are a luxury, not a necessity.

Skinsfan, there really isn't a need to debate this with you. You REFUSE to see it in any other color than purp & gold. I know you like to light candles and pray to your Gasol shrine every night, but Gasol is SOFT-T-T-T.

Who wouldn't want a big in the lane shooting fade away jumpers and floaters in the lane? If you ask this questions then you haven't a clue about what the positions entails. I mean, you come back with Dirk f-ing Nowitzki? Are you f-ing serious? The same Dirk that has been repeatedly ripped for lacking toughness? GTFOH with that bs!

And I don't kow if you realized, but Boston and Orlando are two totally different teams. With Orlando, they play with finesse. Boston plays with ruggedness and intensity. And it has nothing to do with "how many times you punch" so and so. I bet back in '08 you were pissing and moaning complaing about how the Celtics were such "mean bullies".

And you're most definitely are rapidly approaching ITA status on this subject if you honestly believe that Boston's lack of defense last night isn't the same stuff you mentioned ("outmuscled, outhustled, and outplayed").

They're called lapses. Same as "brain farts".

But spin away to amplify your argument. Gasol has deficiencies. Get over it. Not every player on the Lakers are great players.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Tim Duncan > Pau Gasol

/ discussion

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | June 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse
____________

Today? No. Timmy's skills have eroded too much. Gasol and Bynum both have done pretty well against him. They are fairly similiar in terms of skillsets, although I think Pau's game is more dynamic. Obviously, though, I think you have to give the edge to Duncan overall. "The Big Fundamental" at his peak was not much fun to watch, but he did everything right and rarely made mistakes or got outplayed. And trust me, it's painful for me to say that.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Red, just did. DH and Gasol have better D stats overall, with the exception that Noah has more boards per game.

Posted by: Stu27 | June 4, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

They're called lapses. Same as "brain farts".

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse
________

No sh_t sherlock. Not every player is great. You do realize that you don't know everything, right? Has anyone ever told you this before? Dwight Howard is absolutely NOT a finesse player, although certainly the Magic are more of a finesse team than Boston. Howard ONLY plays a power game inside. Your continual "Gasol is soft" argument shows me that you're just jaded and either don't know what you're talking about or (more likely) refuse to admit what's obvious.

And back in 2008, (1) I predicted that the celtics would win the series because I didn't think the Lakers were ready to give Kobe enough help in dealing with the Celtics' defense, and I thought (correctly) that Pierce would destroy Vlad Rad and (2) I moaned about Bynum getting hurt and why Gasol wouldn't stand up to Perkins and KG.

I'm done arguing with you. Agree to disagree.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | June 4, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Elvin Hayes noted big man fade away jump shooter. That is all.

Posted by: childrenofthezorn | June 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I know the reason for venom against mcnabb from 1st hand experience..its called white racism and backlish same as here is washington. you can also add some need-to-grow stupidity in because many negroes still follow blindly what-ever whites say in the media like lemmings. It is the same double standard that whites themselves have made up in america period and try to pretend they don't know anything about. the same venom will be spewed as usual here against mcnabb..wait and see. oh by the way gasol is good shooter,decent rebounder & passer nothing else and he is a weakling another "white hope. lakers have one great player on their team and the celtics 3 and none of them are named gasol.

Posted by: wathu19 | June 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Almost universal post tie 2 Receivers that was drafted the same round and same year. If any single NFL receiver is not focused on his improvement, toughness and helping his team to win then his NFL ride is over. Devin Thomas isn't potential, he's talented and wants it, with main possible derailment being injury. The other one which I was happy we got, zipping my lip is the best positive I can fake.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | June 9, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse