Malcolm Kelly expected to miss at least two days

Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly will be held out of practice for at least two days in order to rest his injured hamstring, two people familiar with the situation said Thursday.

Kelly, who recently experienced tightness while participating in quarterback Donovan McNabb's "Hell Week" that began July 19, is expected to be sidelined when the Redskins open training camp with one practice later today at Redskins Park. He also likely will sit out the two practice sessions Friday in Ashburn. Coach Mike Shanahan plans to address Kelly's situation tonight after practice.

The Redskins are proceeding cautiously with the former University of Oklahoma standout, vying for the No. 2 wide receiver position, because they hope Kelly will be a major factor in the passing game this season, the team sources said. Kelly met with members of Washington's medical/training staff at the complex this week to determine how to best handle the injury with camp about to begin.

Beginning their third seasons, Kelly and wideout Devin Thomas could be at career crossroads. Although they have shown flashes of promise, Kelly and Thomas have not been as productive as the Redskins envisioned when they selected them with two of their three second-round picks (emerging tight end Fred Davis was the other player chosen) in the 2008 draft.

Shanahan prefers to have big wideouts in his version of the West Coast offense, and Kelly is 6 feet 4. Kelly has dropped 15 pounds this offseason and is top physical condition, two players said. And Kelly was immersed in the Redskins' playbook in the team's time off since the end of the mandatory minicamp in June.

There has been media speculation that Kelly is in danger of failing to make the opening 53-man roster, but a team source said Kelly legitimately is in the mix to start opposite top wideout Santana Moss. Kelly, who opened the 2009 season as a starter, received a $391,000 bonus check April 1.

By Jason Reid  |  July 29, 2010; 8:48 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid , training camp , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Camp Storylines: No. 1 Albert Haynesworth
Next: Mike Williams taking blood thinner in recovery

Comments

Hi!

Posted by: Pepper5 | July 29, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

CUT HIM TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | July 29, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Oft injured, shown nothing.... I sure hope we dont waste any of DT's development hoping MK can stay healthy or pick up route running.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | July 29, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"Malcolm Kelly expected to miss at least two days"

If he's trained as much a they've said, this isn't really a bad thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

MK stands for "My Knee!! My Knee!!" while rolling around on the turf. It's too bad, but he just is not durable. Best of luck to your MK.

Posted by: scoot21 | July 29, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

F Kelly...I wanna see Trent Williams under contract!

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Show me something or hit the road !!!

Posted by: hessone | July 29, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

MK is in the mix, sure. They're all in the mix on the first day of camp.

Posted by: Pepper5 | July 29, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

... Kelly is 6 feet 4. Kelly has dropped 15 pounds this offseason and is top physical condition... With the broke hammy ... Maybe "top physical condition" is not the correct description to use here.

Posted by: Sulphide1 | July 29, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Give me players with class that aren't self centered, and you can have the likes of AH and his brotherhood of players like TO .......

Posted by: hessone | July 29, 2010 8:59 AM | R

Are you always this dramatic? Of course everyone would prefer that type of player. It's not a reality, just sayin. The best teams hope to police the "knuckleheads" with leadership form the team leaders and management. The fact that the vast majority of Skins players do positive work in the community suggests that the Skins are doing a good job acquiring "character" guys.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

No way he makes this team. More fragile than my grandmother's antique collection. Shanny brought on too many vets at WR to nurse Kelly.

Posted by: virtueandvice | July 29, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Optimists have a 55 percent lower death risk in general and a 23 percent lower death risk from heart failure than pessimists. The researchers who reached this conclusion define "optimist" as someone who "thinks in a positive way, sees the future as meaningful and fulfilling, has a desire to achieve new goals, and has a sense of happiness and joy." Beare points out, "It is well known that laughing boosts immunity and helps heal illness, and we can presume that optimists laugh more."

BOYCOTT PESSIMISM !!!
Posted by: hessone | July 29, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse
Now that's an optimist talking, if I ever heard one! I've always heard that the only two sure things are death and taxes. So I believe optimists and pessimists have the same death risk...100%. Only an optimist could say that he has a lower death risk than a pessimist.

hessone, j/k. I know what you're saying. And yes, I'm an optimist. Here's to 19-0.

HTTR

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

WaPo - there's a difference between writing for print articles and blogging.

I enjoy Jason Reid's writing and his interviews. I'm not impugning his journalism.

However, these posts are becoming so dry and uninteresting that I'm getting a nose bleed.

I never see links to associated material either on or offsite. There's little if any development to the relationship of Redskins football to other aspects of our lives.

I'd love to see The Mayor continue covering the Skins. I do enjoy his work. But it's really getting tedious reading these posts. It's almost formulaic pablum.

It would be nice to have someone with some passion for the medium working this space.

Long Live Jibba Jabba!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:16 AM

Okay, how about this? An optimist gets lower taxes than a pessimist?

Posted by: beep-beep | July 29, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Malcolm Kelly expected to miss at least two days"

If he's trained as much a they've said, this isn't really a bad thing.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2010 9:06 AM

I agree. I was thinking anymore than 5 practices would put Kelly will be behind the 8 ball.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Kelley reminds me a lot of Gary Clark, only taller. And less durable. With more drops. And not as good of a route runner.
OK maybe it's just the hamstring thing.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2010 9:17 AM

Formulaic pablum, mmmmmmm.........

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 29, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@TWISI, just to clarify

If you read my original post on this subject, brown had commented on rooting for the uniform. I like to root for the uniform, and I like to root for the players in those uniforms, you know, a face with a name. No big deal. Funny how things can get turned around on the board, me being a part of that also. HTTR

Posted by: hessone | July 29, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

"And yes, I'm an optimist. Here's to 19-0.
Posted by: frediefritz"

He said optimist, not psychotic.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 29, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Long Live Jibba Jabba!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 29, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Thank jeabus for the Bog.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 29, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Well said, Dik...I said earlier in response to someone's idea about moving Steinberg to RI, Reid is a writer and Steinberg is a blogger. If Reid handles the beat and writes the appropriate articles and leaves the blogging to the professionals, it seems like a win for all parties involved. I think Reid is a fine writer, it's just apparent that he'd rather do that than mess around with this blog.

But again...since it makes so much sense, it probably won't happen.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: virtueandvice | July 29, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm the optimist. I think MK is going to surprise some people this year. He could be our possession receiver...he has great hands.

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | July 29, 2010 9:23 AM

So, brownie was saying let's root for the laundry? I think he meant whoever makes the squad he roots for, but maybe that's just me (stupid optimist).

I've said something similar...I root for the final 53, whoever the f*ck it is.

Can't wait to blow outta work and go to camp, serious short-timer mentality today!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | July 29, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Kelly definitely will make the final roster -- barring any trades or major injuries -- I'm going with:

Moss
Thomas
Kelly
Wade
Austin

BTW -- Kelly has a minor hamstring strain -- it's nothing serious...

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Okay, how about this? An optimist gets lower taxes than a pessimist?

Posted by: beep-beep | July 29, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Optimists probably pay higher taxes, I suspect. They are more entrepreneurial risk takers. I can't cite any sources, but self-made individuals are probably more optimistic.

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | July 29, 2010 9:23 AM

Fair enough.
_____________________________________________

Moss
Thomas
Kelly
Wade
Austin

BTW -- Kelly has a minor hamstring strain -- it's nothing serious...

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2010 9:29 AM

Only two speed WRs (Moss, Thomas). IMO, I'd like another speed WR on the team, or at least another one who get's open deep. This team has to be able to push the ball down field.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Dik %100 re: blogging vs journo. This has been an issue since about the 2nd year. Jasno was way better at it, but then he seemed to lose interest.

I read the Caps WaPo blog and its a much different vibe.

Kelly....well I am on record as saying I dont think he will be on final roster. And the "just a hamstring" is a crock, dude is always dinged up. But hey, I would LOVE to be wrong.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 29, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

hey, I would LOVE to be wrong.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 29, 2010 9:40 AM

Gaurenteed.....2 post that are much ado about nothing and deserved only one paragraph.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 29, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, Austin is a speed guy too so if siris' list is correct (which I doubt), then we'd still have 3 "speed guys" at WR.

I think Furrey has more value than MK...between special teams and the ability to play safety in a pinch, he'll probably be able to give you same level of production at WR as well. I mean, this IS a guy who had a hair under 100 catches one season...

I still wouldn't rule out a trade for VJ...the talk in SD is that the Gates re-signing all but rules out VJ getting a long-term deal and A.J. Smith would be a stone cold idiot to just let VJ walk after this season without getting anything for him...gotta think a 2nd round pick (or equivolent compensation) is better than NOTHING...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Good grief MK. I have a feeling if he can stay healthy he might see more preseason game snaps then any of our other WRs. If he is still on the team...

@MikeReiss ... Logan Mankins did not report with his teammates as he is not under contract ...

We should get Logan Makins, that would really just be tops.

Posted by: Stu27 | July 29, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Moss
Thomas
Kelly
Wade
Austin

BTW -- Kelly has a minor hamstring strain -- it's nothing serious...

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2010 9:29 AM

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse
TWISI, I thought Austin had good speed. Am I wrong?

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Just here to say im happy that football is back. Now lets hope for no major injuries and hopefully a super bowl run. Hail to the Redskins!!!

Posted by: wattsicon | July 29, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

this is what you get when you draft a guy that has been injured every year of his career. stupid vinny cerrato screwing this franchise up for years to come.

Posted by: chwilli9 | July 29, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I know a lot of people are calling for him to be cut. But the truth is we need this guy to break through. If all three 2nd rounders don't contribute and especially the two wide outs then that's one more hole we'll need to fill. And we don't have many avenues to fill all our holes.

Yes it would be nice to rub it in Vinny's face how he SJK'ed up the 08 draft class once an for all. But to get younger we need those picks to pan out. Otherwise how are we going to get younger at QB, MLB, NT, Center, Guard, and RB?

Posted by: Devo2 | July 29, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Talk about fair weather fans. Last year this guy was going to be the second coming of jesus to redskin fans. Again, I think this coach will prove that the Redskins were poorly coached and have lacked talent for most of the past 10-years.

Malcolm kely was never going to be a star receiver, he has size but lacks speed. Zorn never used him for his size. Jason Campbell never took risks as a QB. So this year we might see what Kelly and Thomas have or don't have.

Posted by: oknow1 | July 29, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | July 29, 2010 9:49 AM

I heard Austin on Redskins Nation say he ran a 4.5 in his 40 on his pro day. However, he might play faster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 9:48 AM

I ESPN insider had a link to a SD newspaper article where it briefly stated that AJ Smith was open to trading VJ. I'm sure the price is still to high for VJ.

Posted by: TWISI | July 29, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MadeRED | July 29, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

OK maybe it's just the hamstring thing.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2010 9:21 AM

They also have very similar TD celebrations...Oh yeah, we haven't had occassion to see Kelly's.

Posted by: MColeman51 | July 29, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"Thanks Vinny!!! The line on Kelly coming out of college was that he was injury-prone. Way to bypass Desean Jackson twice. Thanks again Vinny."

Vinny is the gift that keeps on giving. :)

One of the deepest o-line drafts like ever and they draft 3 wide outs.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | July 29, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

what about Terrence Austin?

Posted by: mrhney03 | July 29, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

"Shanahan prefers to have big wideouts in his version of the West Coast offense"

Then, why did he draft Eddie Royal, listed at 5'10" (not really that tall), who excelled to 980 reception yards and 5 TDs his rookie year? Height doesn't seem to be a factor in Shanahan's WRs.

Posted by: chth | July 29, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse