Malcolm Kelly injures hamstring at Donovan McNabb's 'Hell Week'

On the day before training camp begins, the Redskins already face a potential injury problem.

Third-year player Malcolm Kelly, vying for the No. 2 wide receiver position, recently suffered a hamstring injury and might sit out practice Thursday at Redskins Park, according to people familiar with the situation. The injury occurred while Kelly participated in quarterback Donovan McNabb's "Hell Week" that began July 19.

McNabb, as he did during his time with the Philadelphia Eagles, invited some of his new teammates to his Phoenix-area home for a week of grueling workouts and team building. Wideouts Devin Thomas, Santana Moss and Kelly were among those expected to participate.

Kelly experienced tightness in his hamstring during one of the workouts, the sources said. He immediately contacted the Redskins' medical/training staff for guidance. The Redskins plan to proceed cautiously with Kelly, who worked hard to overcome knee problems and microfracture surgery after his rookie season. Coach Mike Shanahan is expected to address Kelly's situation after the first practice Thursday.

Although the injury is not considered serious, the team would rather have Kelly rest and receive treatment than try to participate in the early stages of camp. Hamstring injuries can linger, especially when players rush back before they are completely healed.

In 2009, Kelly began the season as the starter opposite top wideout Santana Moss, but Thomas, also beginning his third year, eventually moved ahead of Kelly. Privately, members of the former coaching staff expressed frustration with Kelly's route-running.

Kelly has quickly formed a bond with new wideouts coach Keenan McCardell, a former longtime NFL receiver and Redskins player, who has helped the former Oklahoma standout improve that key aspect of his performance.

After missing most of his rookie season because of his knee problems, Kelly played in all 16 games last season, including 10 starts, and had 25 receptions for 347 yards (a 13.9-yard average). In a season-ending loss to the San Diego Chargers, Kelly and former Jason Campbell teamed on an 84-yard reception.

Kelly is among a small group of Redskins who have guaranteed money on the books for this season. On April 1, Kelly received a $391,000 bonus check. His base salary of $470,000 is not guaranteed.

By Jason Reid  |  July 28, 2010; 7:48 PM ET
Categories:  training camp , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: Wait-and-see on Haynesworth [UPDATED]
Next: Camp Storylines: No. 1 Albert Haynesworth

Comments

If I was expecting him to be a factor this year I'd worry about this, but I'm not, so I won't.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | July 28, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked. Like finding our there's gambling going on in Casablanca shocked

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

No, I think we can't expect much from Kelly. If he's healthy, maybe he'll contribute. If he's not, might be the end of the line for him.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 28, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

These photos are TOTAL SKANK:

For the price of that wedding, we could have TEN oft-injured wide receivers..Hookup NOW, Chelsea, before the spring chicken jumps into the BBQ!!

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

I like the TV show Survivor, but now I'll wanna throw up when its on. Still, seeing that "hair" in its natural state is worth something....

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

The beginning of the end for MK...buh bye, dude. Thanks for keeping that seat on IR warm...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 28, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

A Redskins WR with a hamstring injury? I'm shocked.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | July 28, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Said it at the time, if Vinny drafted 2 WRs and got 1 legit starting WR out of it, he did OK.

As almost everyone has already noted, MK12 is closing in on bust territory. Meanwhile, it sure feels like DT11 is in his make or break season.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I like MK has such great "potential" but how long will we be able to live on "potential.
I think MK is just a bit too fragile to be an NFL receiver.

Posted by: frens06 | July 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow baby the adventure begins!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 28, 2010 7:52 PM |

A lot of questions need answers. Here are the Top Ten:

1. What will be AH's fate? Also what will be his fat? Will he be lean and mean after an off-season of sweating and grunting with his PT?

2. Can the D improve on the (a) turnover front and (b) potential realization front?

3. How effective will McN be with his scruffy WR corps?

4. Who is the young stud waiting to step in and push out all the geezer RBs?

5. Will the OL be able to do a decent job of protecting McN?

6. What might happen trade-wise?

7. What players of note will be axed and when? What is the over/under on MK?

8. What low-round draft pick/UFA will surprise?

9. Who will call the plays? Shanny or Shanny Jr.?

10. Who wins the camp 40 yd dash contest? CP or AH?

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Stick a fork in 'em...

It's a wrap...

It's in the bag...

The fat lady is singing...

Sign, sealed, delivered...

"DAGGERRRRR!!!!"

... you get the point.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 28, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it against the rules to cut a player while he's injured.

Maybe he will have to heal before he gets cut.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Its the day before and we're writing off MK12 because we know a minor hammy with him is the 1st inevitable step to IR. And BMW is also gone.

While neither of these guys figured to be major players, its this sort hit to the depth that makes the Skins more vulnerable than other teams. Obviously, depth has been an issue in the past, I'm pretty sure it'll be an issue this season as well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the WR corps is gonna go "Smurf"..

I didn't know Gano won the Lou Groza as a senior, this guy might be a serious diamond in the rough-

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

On the troll side of things:

1. "It's in the bag..."

There is a troll with a black bag.

2. "DAGGERRRRR!!!!"

There is a troll screen name of daggar.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the WR corps is gonna go "Smurf"..

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 8:39 PM |

Ain't that like groddy for a WCO?

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Trainging camp starts tommorow and I can't wait.

I hope MK can heal and get it together, this is his last chance. DT needs to build on what he did last year and step up.

As far as AH, we are a better team with him than without him, I hope he has the right frame of mind and body and it all works out.

I predict we go anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 and make the playoffs. With the addition of the coaches, front office, and players, at the very least we should be able to add 4 wins to last years 4-12. All in all this team is headed in the right direction, Mr.Snyder stay the hell out of the way, and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, 2010!

Posted by: 72Redskins | July 28, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

If this injury lingers for more than 5 days, Kelly better hope the Skins carry 6 Wrs this year. Best of luck to you Kelly.

Posted by: TWISI | July 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

DeSean is a Smurf at 5'10" 175..McNabb got some numbers outta him-

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

DeSean is a Smurf at 5'10" 175..McNabb got some numbers outta him-

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 8:51 PM |

McN could have prolly "gotten some numbers out of" DeS in Zorro's O. Sometimes talent trumps everything. Unfortunately I don't see any Skins WR who remotely approaches DeS talent-wise, especially all those WRs that were drafted ahead of him.

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Kelly injured?
I'm shocked... SHOCKED!... well, not really.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

@MrRed, frak

No to mention DeS returning punts like a mofo

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

"On the day before training camp begins, the Redskins already face a potential injury problem"
~~~~
Said so gravely...typical overwrought WaPo reporting...you'd think the guy just got a cancer diagnosis.

Can't say I'm ready to declare Kelly a bust without seeing him in preseason games, but I see how some would. I never liked his face during that draft when ESPN showed him receiving the "call" from the Skins and he rolled his eyes. I haven't believed in Univ of Okla. qbs & wide receivers since Stoops has been coach-none have done diddly in the league. I watch too much college ball, I swear to you all I never saw Kelly make a play, never. However, we used a 2nd rounder on him, so let's wait until the preseason.

I thought we learned our lesson from Michael Westbrook-see if the guy can play before looking at his measurables. More importantly see if he wants to. It wasn't as though Kelly was the second coming of Randy Moss, anyhow.
Devin reminds me of a young Hines Ward with a better speed-I like the kid, hopefully he/they show Shanahan their stuff.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

If McN could have a "Hell Week" to get his dudes ready for training camp, doncha think the Skins could have a "Hail Week" to get the fans buzzed for the start of 2010?

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | July 28, 2010 8:50 PM

Anthony Armstrong, Terrence Austin, Brandon Banks, Mike Furrey, Galloway, Shay Hodge, Kelly, Moss, Thomas, Bobby Wade, Roydell Williams

I can see 6 with one being a specialist @ KR/PR.

Moss
Thomas
Galloway
Wade
Williams
Austin

I was on the record before Kelly's injury that he wouldn't make the 53 man roster. He's made of china, no ties to the FO, and doesn't play teams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it against the rules to cut a player while he's injured.

Maybe he will have to heal before he gets cut.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 28, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Not if they reach an injury settlement with the player while he is injured.

I'm not saying I expect that to happen, but I would not be surprised at that outcome if Malcolm's injury lingers.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | July 28, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Hate Hate Hate. Kelly will be fine, its just a little hammy injury. Keenan is the perfect guy to coach him and get him to run crisper routes and cut quicker. He's got great hands and he's our best big receiver. Shanny loves Big WRs and is definitely going to play him a lot. I expect 600-700 yds and 5+ TDs from Kelly this year, and if Moss misses any time he could be go for over 1000. I think Thomas is great too, but I feel like Shanny likes the Kelly type a lot more and will give him plenty of chances. Kelly just has one weak area he needs to improve on and he can be so good, don't write him off yet.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | July 28, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, there's still this dude, MrRed-

At 6'5 and 230, he'd take on Monk's role on the sidelines for possession...I think the UCLA dude has tons of potential...But Brandon Banks would be Atomic-Super-Micro ,5'6 and 150 after a cheeseburger..

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Kelly injured?
I'm shocked... SHOCKED!... well, not really.

Posted by: kaasmaster | July 28, 2010 9:03 PM |

Try giving a 220 volt outlet the finger. That'll shock you dude, fur sure.

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRed
~~~~
Doesn't that make you sick? If only the Skins' looked at the most talented player instead of the measurables guy, we might have had Jackson.
Westbrook, Gardner, Jacobs, Kelly the list goes on,only Art was a success for us.
Meanwhile smurfs Alvin Garrett, ,Charlie Brown,Gary Clark Albert Connell, Laveranues Coles, and Santana Moss continue to play stand-out football for us.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

@ArmchairGM

Can't show stuff you don't have. Don't want to hear about some sick game at the end of last year. The other teams were resting there starters for a playoff run. Let's be real folks, we have three 2nd round draft picks that, regardless of the circumstances, we don't know squat about. Ability, smitibility. SHOW ME SOMETHING!!!

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 9:05 PM

I like the list of 6. I'm hoping Kelly get's it going early in training camp. Also, interested in seeing what Armstrong does with the pads on.

Posted by: TWISI | July 28, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I ain't writin' Kelly off , just we Skins fans can be a little impatient to win, that's all..

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 9:16 PM |

I wouldn't call expecting more from a high draft pick after two years of on-the-job training "impatient".

Posted by: MrRed | July 28, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

~~~~
I forgot about not playing special teams. Somehow, I'll bet Shanahan will get Kelly's butt on punt coverage or something. Eddie Royal had a superlative rookie season for the Broncos and Shanahan still had him on both punt coverage and returns. The days of Kelly being treated as though he's special are over. Heal up my friend-you will not get a chance to milk that hamstring all preseason. Laron Landry did that last year.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

What a shame. This was going to be his year too.

Posted by: mack1 | July 28, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

long overdue to cut bait on this dead fish.......tired of seeing his name in print....

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | July 28, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

I feel ya' Hess-Show something,a one-hand snare to win a game, crack back on a linebacker, block a punt...Something!

Only because this joker is a 2nd rounder am I willing to wait until preseason before I join the rest of the fellas-but I have no belief in Kelly, I never did.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, can anyone remember the last time we blocked a punt? For a touchdown? What about a blocked field goal? For the life of me,I cannot remember the last time. Sometimes a washout like Kelly hangs around becoming a punt blocking special teamer.

Of course we'll never know, because miss Thang' doesn't play on special teams...yet.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Kelly's done and I'm glad. He's not productive and he's made of glass. Honestly, when your route running ability is in question for 3 straight years, your excuses are zero. Not sure whether it's lack of intelligence or will to apply himself, but injuries aside I doubt he'd make the 53-man roster anyway.

Posted by: pgugino | July 28, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

A good mind-set, willing to cooperate and not be a distraction. Sounds like Lindsay's plan to have her sentence reduced.

You know MK is going to beast out somewhere else. Book it.

Posted by: SMACK1 | July 28, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Camp story line #1 : Will Larry Michaels make it through the entire season as head puppet?

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, if hamstring injuries got Skins players canned Santana would have been gone a long time ago. Alas, Kelly is not Moss and has proved zero. My prediction that Kelly would impress this year is in jeopardy. Hope he can pull it together. Better get suckin up to Keenan.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 28, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

A hamstring injury on the eve of training camp means he will miss all of it and never catch up...oh well....

Posted by: pentagon40 | July 28, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard anything about Robert Henson, our 2nd year LB? I keep hearing about Lorenzo Alexander, Andre Carter and so on at LB, but not this kid, who might be our biggest natural linebacker. When I saw him at TCU, he looked good in space. The TCU scheme had him playing in the middle of the field on many downs-he looked like a very raw slightly bigger Warwick Holdman.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the MK12 is on the bus outta town side. If he gets a chance and makes it, great. But he hasn't shown anything in 2 years other than an ability to get hurt and produce very little during the stretches when he isn't hurt.

Now year 3 rolls around and he's hurting for day 1 of camp. As the 4 Tops so eloquently put it, its the same old song.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

cut.

next...

Posted by: bacaje | July 28, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

@ArmchairGM

Has anyone heard anything about Robert Henson

No, all WaPo talks about are AH, MK, DT, CP, McN. B O R I N G !

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

I can see 6 with one being a specialist @ KR/PR.

Moss
Thomas
Galloway
Wade
Williams
Austin

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 9:05 PM |

I doubt both Wade and Galloway make the cut.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 28, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmchairGM

Would like to know if Henson is in the mix as well. Guy has very good speed for an LB and he made some pretty good INTs while in college. Speed in a 3-4 are a very good mix.

Thought he might get some playing time last year, but didn't happen. Wouldn't shock me if he rose up the depth chart this year. Maybe the #3 ILB behind Fletcher and Rocky.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

scamp- I rather Wade and Galloway not make it, but of that list it's hard to bet against them.

I'll be rooting for Armstrong, Austin, Banks, Hodge, & Kelly, but I won't be surprised if my list proves to be accurate.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Top Ten Cerrato Draft Whiffs:

10) Durant Brooks...(We drafted A KICKER???)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that Santana didn't hurt his little self during HELL WEEK. Might as well sign Westbrook and run the 2 TE, 2 RB, 1 wr passing offense this year.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 28, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess MK12 went to AZ with McNabb and thought it was Heal Week and so he'd get healthy. Oh well.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ArmchairGM | July 28, 2010 9:32 PM

All-Time Redskin Great Troy Vincent blocked a Dallas fg that Sean Taylor returned for the game winning field goal posession. Was that in '06 or '07?

Posted by: MimiAnsari | July 28, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to know about Henson as well as several other backup LBs:
Jarmon, Wilson, Riley, Alexander...
Which of these guys has the most upside?

Posted by: pgugino | July 28, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

9) Taylor Jacobs. (Maybe that was Spurrier's fault.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

RIP Al Goodman. Darn.

Special Lady was a great song for a special lady.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

8) Patrick Ramsey (Just throw the ball, you jackhole!)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

The Jets signed veteran quarterback Mark Brunell, who backed up Drew Brees last season for the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints, to a two-year contract Wednesday.

... Rex Grossman's looking better all the time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

7) Cody Glenn (9 career tackles. Nuf said.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5

That's right!! On the UPSIDE, Santana's hammy apparently SURVIVED "HELL WEEK" intact!! Reasons to be cheerful...Just don't put homey on special teams, let one of the new midgets take care of that one..

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

RIP Al Goodman. Darn.

Special Lady was a great song for a special lady.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 28, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I had the 45. And Shining Star by the Manhattans. I had much better taste in 1981.

Posted by: SMACK1 | July 28, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell me?
Did Fat Albert actually weigh in when he reported? We hear he is lighter? How much does lighter mean he actually weighs?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | July 28, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

6) Laron Landry (Jury's still out, but this guy has not played like a 6th overall pick in the draft. Very next pick was Adrian Peterson. Patrick Willis and Darelle Revis were drafted 11th and 14th in 2007.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

pics or it didn't happen

Posted by: wd324 | July 28, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet on Galloway before Wade

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 28, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"Malcolm Kelly injures hamstring..."

I got rolls of wet toilet paper that are tougher than this guy.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

5) Malcolm Kelly (Third receiver in a row picked by Skins in the 2nd round of 2008 draft. An unnecessary, gratuitous fantasy football reach pick that may never pan out.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Kelly with a bad hammy.

I had to glance at my calendar to make sure we were still in the right year.

Too bad, with MK12 not at full speed the Skins are really going to miss his presence and everything that he brings to the table...errrrrr...actually...ummm...my bad...never mind.

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

4) Fred Davis (Picked one spot ahead of DeSean Jackson. We already had Cooley. Unforgivable.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Stick a fork in 'em...

It's a wrap...

It's in the bag...

The fat lady is singing...

Sign, sealed, delivered...

"DAGGERRRRR!!!!"

... you get the point.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 28, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

"Abdey, Abdey, Abdey...that's all folks!"

Sorry...couldn't resist...

Posted by: p1funk | July 28, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

scamp

"I'd bet on Galloway before Wade"

I remember reading that Shanny was high on a kid named Anthony Armstrong.

I say we keep and eye out on him during camp.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

3) Devin Thomas (Picked 15 spots ahead of DeSean Jackson...God I hate DeSean Jackson.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth and Jamaal Brown spent the same amount of time practicing with the Skins this summer. None of the Post's writers have raised any concerns about how far behind Brown is compared to the rest of the offensive linemen. I'll bet that both players have caught up with their teammates by.......Saturday's practice?

Posted by: coparker5 | July 28, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Obviously this is as frustrating as it is predictable, and puts more pressure on DT11 to up his game...but I'm not (quite) ready to close the book on MK12 yet. I agree he is "closing in on bust territory" as someone eloquently put it, but let's just see what happens now that he has a real HC, a good WR coach, a veteran QB and a much improved O-line. If this thing lingers and he can't find the field with Sacajewea and a Garmin, well I think most people wrote him off a while ago. But he is just 23 yrs old. I cannot give up just yet.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 28, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

scamp

"I'd bet on Galloway before Wade"

I remember reading that Shanny was high on a kid named Anthony Armstrong.

I say we keep and eye out on him during camp.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 10:28 PM |

I'd like to see some young guys come along.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 28, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

2) Carlos Rogers (Hard to believe CR22 was a 5th overall pick. Picked 2 spots ahead of DeMarcus Ware. 3 spots ahead of Shawne Merriman. Incidentally, in addition to Ware, Dallas drafted 2x Pro Bowl NOSE TACKLE Jay Ratliff with the 224th overall pick that year.)

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see what Shay Hodge can do. He had a very good senior yr and was projected as a late round pick. Might be a nice FA pick up.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 28, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

The #1 biggest Cerrato whiff - Jason Campbell

I judge this not based solely on Campbell's ability -- he's a decent backup -- but on the steady march backward the organization took while Campbell was under center. The organization invested so much time in a losing battle to coach JC up into a starting QB, but in the end, he was consistently the worst QB in his division every year. I wish JC well, but his tenure as QB was a waste of time.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | July 28, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"You know MK is going to beast out somewhere else."

He'd make a fine Calgary Stampeder or Montreal Alouette.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse

For the optimistic ones left, I'll note that the Skins have made the training staff one of their notable upgrades in the offseason.

Lets see what they can do to help MK12 make/break it on the merits of his play. I'll be rooting for the best 5-6, whoever they are, anyways.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | July 28, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

notorious

"I'm curious to see what Shay Hodge can do."

I'd say given the uncertainty of our receivers, it--like backup linemen--is an area where a diamond in the rough can make himself stand out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Insert...Brandon Banks or Terrence Austin!

Posted by: rickyroge | July 28, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

And Ken, you are dumber than a box of hammers. Go sh!t in your hand. It's the day before training camp '10 and JC is a PHUKING RAIDER this year. Move the phuk on, and I'll continue to ignore 99.9% of your posts when you use the Vic1 handle as well.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | July 28, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

kenbeatrizz

"The #1 biggest Cerrato whiff - Jason Campbell"

JC was someone St Joe wanted--so there, Vinny deserves a mulligan.

And the failure with drafting JC was that the team burned picks to move up to get him and then didn't make sure the offensive line in front of him was fortified.

Campbell is a raider and I wish him well.

But put the blame on St Joe for on his being drafted by the skins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Put me on the Kelly's done wagon for now.

I feel like we have seen something out of DT and FD last year.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 28, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping Kelly would establish himself this preseason but it doesn't look like its ever going to happen for dude in D.C. Does Plexico get out of jail anytime soon?

I agree with Kenbeatrizz, Carlos was Cerrato's worse draft whiff

Posted by: coparker5 | July 28, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

And did Shanny ever say why he wasn't interested in Santonio Holmes?

Posted by: coparker5 | July 28, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

coparker5- just when I think you couldn't be any dumber, you become dumberer..

you've yet to say anything even close to intelligent, in fact everyone on this blog is dumber after reading your posts.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 28, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

MK is an example of a guy with a bad work ethic (couldn't run routes) who has a false image of himself as a Prima Donna who can get away with skipping preseason workouts because he's a high draft pick and he thinks he's all that...screw it..I'm done my rant...I see where this is going now...JUST CUT THE BUM NOW

Posted by: scottmando | July 28, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Santonio's history maybe a little too hot for the new headcoach, with a 350 lb/ 100 mill problem already..Might be why V. Jackson hasn't been as hotly pursued also..

"I agree with Kenbeatrizz, Carlos was Cerrato's worse draft whiff

Posted by: coparker5"

We've got a new regime, a new scheme. Let's not throw Carlos under the tank just yet..Besides , the ENTIRE defensive backfield was under V-2 attack last year, and in the shelter./.Everything now is FRESHHHHHHH!!!

Posted by: frak | July 28, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

alex

"Put me on the Kelly's done wagon for now."

I think the best measurement of who he is should come during the 3rd preseason game against the up-n-coming jets.

I'd feature MK in the passing attack with the 1st teamers to see how he fares against A Cromartie and D Reavis: two of the league's best.

If he is at least battlin' or making catches for the plays called his way, maybe you find a way to keep him around.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 28, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"I agree with Kenbeatrizz, Carlos was Cerrato's worse draft whiff

Posted by: coparker5"

I vote LL.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 28, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | July 28, 2010 11:25 PM

I've never heard him say anything that makes me think he's a prima donna. Where did you get that? According to a story in Redskins.com he was at offseason workouts. He just went to hell week so I'm not sure where you come up with that other junk.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

"I agree with Kenbeatrizz, Carlos was Cerrato's worse draft whiff"

I bemoan the philosophy, not the players drafted.

What team drafts year after year without finding starting offensive/defensive linemen, versitile linebackers, wide receivers, a running back, and the occasional speed player?

Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2010 12:02 AM |

and Matt Millen.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato actually had 10 draft picks? I coulda sworn he only had about 8 picks in all his years here.

The worst picks were actually guys named TJ Duckett, Jason Taylor and Brandon Lloyd.

eli #1
Rivers #4
Big Ben #11
Losman #22
Alex Smith #1
Aaron Rodgers #24
Campbell #25
VYoung #3
Leinart #10
Cutler #11

Out of that group of 10, Campbell is about 5th best. eli, Rivers, Big Ben and Rodgers are better. But Losman, Smith, Leinart and Cutler aren't. VY maybe.

Can't blame Campbell for the trade that brought him here -- the trade was a bigger bust than the player.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

zz, Duckett, Lloyd and Taylor weren't draft picks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:16 AM | Report abuse

zz, Duckett, Lloyd and Taylor weren't draft picks.

Posted by: scampbell1975

but we gave up picks for each of them

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

"As for Campbell's failings, he's still had a better career than many of first round picks taken in the years around him"

I agree.

And as much as I like McNabb, I still wonder how JC--and the overall offense-- would've fared behind the line we have now.

But it's all a done deal now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Duckett Lloyd and Jason Taylor cost us
a 2nd rounder
2 3rd rounders
a 4th rounder
a 6th rounder

YUCK

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

zz, Duckett, Lloyd and Taylor weren't draft picks.

Posted by: scampbell1975

but we gave up picks for each of them

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:19 AM

I here ya but they weren't picks. Not saying they weren't terrible moves but we're playing a semantics game so... Vinny sucked ass.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Zeke- I'd put him 7th on that list. Cutler and Young are better. Young is a winner and ask Snyder about Cutler.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 29, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Zeke-

Duckett 1 3rd
Lloyd 2 3rds
Taylor 2nd & 6th

It's actually worse than you remember.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 29, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 29, 2010 12:31 AM

Cutler blew bald, red donkey dicks last year. I would not say he's better. I'd give them the same grade. Besides, Cutler is a giant dooucher

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Funny how PFT posts the Kelly story and then goes on to say that Kelly has been so injured that he missed a combined 11 games over the last 2 seasons. He didn't miss any last year so those 11 "combined games" were in 1 year when he was IR'd. People seem to forhet that it's hard to count Kelly's 1st season. He was injured when he was drafted and missed most of the season. You can't even be around the team when you are on IR.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

If MK was going to make an impact, this would be news. I had my doubts he was even going to make the team. As it's been said "you cannot make the team sitting in the hot tub". MK had major known knee/injury issues when he was drafted. Good one Vinny. I really don't see MK on the roster come opening day.

Posted by: scoot21 | July 29, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Diesel, can't say Cutler is the better of the two JCs. Cutler had a much better situation in Denver, had similar numbers, and cost his team a bunch of games. As soon as Cutler got himself into a bad situation (mind you, still not Zorn bad), Campbell was easily better.

As for VY, he's hard to judge. Never a great passer -- his career QB rating is 10 points below Campbell (VY has thrown 7 more picks than TDs).

VY's yds/carry and Campbell's are almost identical (5.3 vs 5.1).

But VY has won and made 2 ProBowls -- and that's hard to discount

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:47 AM | Report abuse

scamp- I was merely mocking snyderatto for their mancrush on Cutler. That's the one good thing that came from the terrible trade for J. Taylor...We didn't have last years 2nd rd pick to get Cutler.

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 29, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | July 29, 2010 12:48 AM |

Gotcha, and yes, thank God.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Scamp, Kelly has been hurt pretty much the whole time. Even when he played to start 2009, he had an injured hand.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:55 AM

Still played in every game.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Night all.
HAIL!!!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Goodnight Scamp and RI

`

Posted by: Vicc | July 29, 2010 1:21 AM | Report abuse

WHAT?? NOOOOOO...

I mean, it's not like he's had knee injuries since Jr. High school or anything. His legs have been sound like forever...this is a real shocker and has caught us all by surprise...none of us saw THIS coming

I'm really dismayed by this NEW turn of events

Posted by: kahlua87 | July 29, 2010 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2010 12:55 AM

Still played in every game.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 12:56 AM

Which makes it even worse that he couldn't even crack 30 catches on a WR-starved team.

He's done. He'd have a shot if he could play special teams, but he can't.

One thing to watch out for now is a trade for Vincent Jackson. Now that the Chargers coughed up big money for Antonio Gates, our old friend JLC says that Marcus McNeil is next on their agenda and it's still less likely that something gets done with VJ at all. Unless Seattle offers them a bunch of picks, I don't see how the Skins aren't the frontrunner for his services.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 5:17 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...Troubling...Never saw this coming. Hope this isn't the start of something.

Weren't there some other projected timeline obstacles to contend with before a VJ acquisition could be made?

Posted by: camp_fodder | July 29, 2010 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: camp_fodder | July 29, 2010 5:40 AM

I don't think so...at least not that I've heard. I'm sure that if any deal were to be made, Shanahan would like to get him into the start of camp but I can't think of anything else that would apply.

VJ may be a long shot at this point, but I just get the feeling that the Skins aren't done adding to this team...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 5:57 AM | Report abuse

Any word on how close Trent Williams is to signing? We need that dude up to speed and ready to roll Week 1...the LAST thing he needs is to have to play catch up...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 6:22 AM | Report abuse

Since MK has a very small amt. of guaranteed
money..the team will not mess around with him.
Someone blogged that if one of the two wideouts Vinnie drafted work out..he did ok.
Well, I may not remember accurately, but didn`t they pass on DeSean Jackson? That makes it not ok! Maybe the Skins should have gone after T.O. Imagine T.O, and Fat Albert on the same team!! It would balance the offense, and defense..so to speak.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | July 29, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

blazer, I'ma need you and the others up here who keep beating the DeSean Jackson drum to exercise a little perspective here...NOBODY knew he was gonna be as good as he is, including the Eagles. If anyone had even an inkling that he would be as good as he is, he would have gone in the 1st round.

The sin of the '08 2nd round for us wasn't that we didn't take DeSean Jackson (to be fair, he didn't look like much more than Santana Moss 2.0 at the time), but that we took Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly instead of picking players to help fortify the O-line/D-line. Taking a TE when you already have a Pro-Bowler at that spot is retarded. So it taking a WR who runs a 4.6 40 yard dash and has a long history of knee problems. I don't care much who we take instead of those guys so long as we don't take those guys...

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Pack your bags, #12. Just another disappointment that was at the hands of Cerrato. I had hopes for this kid, but he can't stay healthy, and he hasn't made a lasting impact! With a bus-load of receivers in camp, every day missed is anotheer nail in the coffin!!!!

Posted by: wagenstill | July 29, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Pack your bags, #12. Just another disappointment that was at the hands of Cerrato. I had hopes for this kid, but he can't stay healthy, and he hasn't made a lasting impact! With a bus-load of receivers in camp, every day missed is another nail in the coffin!!!!

Posted by: wagenstill | July 29, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wagenstill | July 29, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

See ya MK. Would ya mind shutting off the TV before you leave?

Posted by: kone | July 29, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Posted by: hessone | July 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I only knew the chorus to that song! Thanks hessone!!

Posted by: sirmixx01 | July 29, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse