Marko Mitchell signs with Detroit Lions

Updated at 6:50 a.m.

Wide receiver Marko Mitchell wasn't unemployed long. Released Monday by the Redskins, Mitchell signed today with the Detroit Lions.

Mitchell was a fan favorite in Washington who played big in the preseason last year but had only four catches in the regular season. He was one of five Redskins who got the pink slip Monday.

Running back P.J. Hill also found a new employer. He was claimed off waivers and signed today with the New Orleans Saints.

Which wideout will gain separation?

In the Redskins Tailgate Zone, discuss with Matt McFarland which of the Redskins' wide receivers is most likely to have a stellar season.

By Rick Maese  |  May 4, 2010; 8:32 PM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder apologizes for Redskins' dealings in cheerleader story
Next: Shaping the roster will continue to be priority in Redskins' next minicamp

Comments

portis stole shades in nyc during draft week, please ask him about this rick / reid

Posted by: jm22d56 | May 4, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Now you will see how great REDSKINS talent eval really is. VINNY was learning.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Portia stole sunglasses?

Posted by: westjr88 | May 4, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis

Posted by: westjr88 | May 4, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Marko mitchell # 84 , Joey Galloway # 84, Can't have two # 84's can we ? Conspiracy theory anyone ? Marko said "hell no you can't have my # ", Shanny say fine, your off the team !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | May 4, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | May 4, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

"BP claims absolute responsibility for oil cleanup"

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

It kind of reminds me of that Chris Rock bit about people who want credit for the things they are supposed to do -

I got a job!!!! - You're SUPPOSED to have a job.

I pay my child support!!!! - You're supposed to pay your child support.

We take responsibility for that oil spill!!! - You're SUPPOSED to take responsibility...as if anyone else but BP could be blamed?

If only "taking responsibility" could make the Gulf clean.

Posted by: p1funk | May 4, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful! Hope he doesn't show Shanny that he made a mistake when we meet in week eight.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | May 4, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

He caught on elsewhere... pun intended

Posted by: Burrasta1 | May 4, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

"Again, once all the races mix what will we have to argue about?"

Race mixing?

Isn't that a situation where Danica Patrick has Tony Stewart's baby?

(INSERT rimshot audio and shouts of "This is why a scroll through your dumb, unfunny posts, moron!" as Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanks his BP sponsored provided tie without a pit crew's help and complains about the lack of respect he receives from this blog.)

"And speaking of sex," Moe goes on. "It looks like only BP and gays like to spill way too much oil in your gulf before screwing you over......"

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

See you, Marko
It is my hope this is not the Skins FO practicing "Catch and Release"

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I was really pulling for Marko, the kid showed some nice potential. Sucks that he didn't get a chance in Shanny's offense. Oh well, thank god Philthy, Dumbass or the G-strings didn't claim him. Last thing we needed was for him to be a huge success in the NFC Beast and walk all over us twice a year. We will miss you Leigh Torrence, Jr. Best of luck in purgatory, aka Detroit.

Posted by: Red-skin-Joe | May 4, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Never to be heard from again...

Posted by: junkmail0153 | May 4, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It is the Torrence Effect:

"The flapping of a wide receiver's wings in Landover can cause a Superbowl in Michigan after they pick his SJK up after he's cut."

I'm putting a shiny fifty cent piece on the Lions winning the Superbowl.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | May 4, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Now watch Marko Mitchell become a very good contributor in Detroit. Seems to be the way it works for us. Think Randle-El will be good in Pittsburgh. It is the Redskins way.

Posted by: ac1007 | May 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't know maybe it's because over 80% of our population is white.. and who says you have had to be a player to be qualified to work in the FO???

Posted by: sovine08 | May 4, 2010 8:28 PM |

Was 65% in 2007. Probably lower now.

Posted by: will_ga | May 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Sharks 4 Detroit 3

Sharks lead series 3-0

Gonna go eat some octopus

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

"See you, Marko
It is my hope this is not the Skins FO practicing "Catch and Release"

Posted by: RedskinRay"

Never put an organism through the risk of tortuous infection through something like so-called "Catch and Release"...Besides, it's better to "Grow Your Own"...

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

in shanny i trust but with a over the hill gang @ rb and wr minus unproven kelly and thomas mcnabb doesn't have the weapons he needs to lead us to the playoffs. we need to stockpile draftpicks for next year in my humble opinion. Landry is a major whiff in coverage. Rogers couldnt catch a vd in tijuana going bearback much less a football. too many holes on the o line with the exception of rabach. thinking we go 7-9 @ best this year. we have to build through the draft!!

Posted by: davetoobs146 | May 4, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 4, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Marko lined up across from Calvin Johnson is going to look good to Matt Stafford.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 5, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Was 65% in 2007. Probably lower now.

Posted by: will_ga | May 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah well it would be more that that if not for all the ILLEGAL imigrants and all the daddys baby mamas who have kid after kid from different dads no less, sh!t is it that hard to practice safe sex??????? I guess it is, oh well, hello 40% in a couple of years.

Posted by: SkinEm1 | May 5, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I was hopeful Marko would be good too, but would you people pull your head out of his ass already!!! He had a couple of decent plays late in preseason games. He doesn't play special teams, and apparently has had a hard time learning the playbook this year as well as last year. Maybe he will be good, but I haven't seen anything that backs it up, besides a couple of preseason TD's....Hell, Danny Wuerffel looked great in the preseason too!

Posted by: wdcdave | May 5, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

That dude Bernadino fer the Nats reminded me of one of my favorite songs-

Bobby, I'm sorry you got a head like a potata, I really am...

Posted by: frak | May 5, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: davetoobs146 | May 4, 2010 11:47 PM
---------------------------------------------
That's Last Year!......

Posted by: jcnjcnj | May 5, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Elected to his first Pro Bowl in 2010 from the Detroit Lions, Marko Mithcell WR expressed his praise for the Lions organization for giving him a chance to show what he could do. Marko Mitchell had been cut by the Washington Redskins in the beginning of pre-season of 2010. Head coach and VP for the Washington Redskins, Mike Shanahan had no comment when pressed for an answer why he was released.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | May 5, 2010 2:31 AM | Report abuse

"Good luck to Marko. Hopefully he can make the 53 man roster as a 4th or 5th WR even though he can't play special teams and apparently has an inability to learn the abbreviated introduction to our playbook."

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 4, 2010 11:58 PM

_____________________________

Hey, Loudmouth-Conclusion-Jumper,

Where did you read that he had an inability to learn the playbook? And if so, WHO, in the name of critical thinking, do you think said that? Someone with an interest in looking "smart" and "competent" perhaps?

You need to recognize that you formulate a lot of opinions based upon facts which emerge in your head, making them, in fact, NOT facts, but opinions.

I'm of the opinion that the over-hyped suits running your burgundy and gold caught a case of draft order envy.

If you buy the fact that Marko didn't play special teams, see how often Galloway is running down, making tackles in punt coverage.

By the way, here's yours back: Go Suck a Dick.

The Caps choked. I told you they would. You're an A Hole. So are your little but[sic]kissing buddies on here. I don't need affirmation to tell it how I see it. And the way I see it, you don't know jack.

(by the way, I hear from a very good source (my very own ass) that Marko Mitchell was actually let go because he's lazy, thinks slow, sleeps in, shows up late to meetings, and cannot comprehend the playbook, DESPITE making more money than my white ass will ever make. And I hate that. Which is why I like Diesel44 as my handle, because it shows how manly, strong, and white I am, just like the last white Redskin player who actually earned his paycheck.)

Stuff it up your exhaust, loudmouth.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 5, 2010 4:09 AM | Report abuse

in the defense of landry he played out of position last year it was a team thing an he's a team player he tried but didn't like it an beside give shanny a chance its his time to make something out of this mess that vinny the ass kisser put us in an this man won two super bowls an will be better than joe gibbs second time around there is good talent on this team an i think shanny see it because i see it we dont need to rebuild all we needed was to hire a coach before the hornable jim zorn who i love an respect it was never his fault

Posted by: teresabogans | May 5, 2010 4:10 AM | Report abuse

you guys have nothing better to do???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted by: teresabogans | May 5, 2010 4:12 AM | Report abuse

tbog, i think you have bracketed the appropriate use of punctuation in your two posts. Nice job.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 5, 2010 4:19 AM | Report abuse

Did I forget to mention that Marko Mitchell eats fried chicken and watermelon during the special teams portion of practice?

Although he could still catch the ball better than the other receivers, even with greasy fingers, he "failed to impress" Shanahan, who prefers larger nipples and wider tushies.

Shanahan was heard to say, after watching film of Mitchell's 3 TDs, compared to Kelly's 3 dropped TDs, "He failed to impress me."

Love,

"The Diesel"
(I'm so manly, honorable, and white.)

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 5, 2010 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow...looks like the Lions have a thing for picking up our scraps--first Jansen, now Marko. We should see if they'll take LJ or Portis off our hands...

The more I hear about this new PR guy Wyllie, the more I like. Haven't heard a bad thing about him yet. Sounds like we got a major upgrade.

I feel a culture change out at Redskins Park. So refreshing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ac1007 | May 4, 2010 10:26 PM

Good point. I still can't get over the way Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta went to the Pro Bowl two times after we released them. We're cursed. Okay, I can get over that.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget LaVar's resurgence in NY and the amazing career Darnerian McCants enjoyed in Philly after he left here...

I think ac1007 is confusing the Redskins way with the Wizards way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse

I feel a culture change out at Redskins Park. So refreshing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:13 AM

I agree. I never understood how Snyder, with a background in communications, had such a bad public image. When even a gentle soul like nateinthePDX doesn't like Snyder, Snyder needs a makeover. Tony Wyllie looks like a good man for the job. Who knows? History might view George Bush much differently if Tony Wyllie had been his spokesman.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

I think ac1007 is confusing the Redskins way with the Wizards way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:52 AM

Leigh Torrence, Pearson Proileau, Chase Daniels got Super Bowl rings after we cut them. If we'd kept those guys, coulda been us. Imagine Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn, and Karl Swanson with their rings!

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

I stopped by to take a look and will be leaving again.

You guys are still talking about a guy who had 4 catches last season, give me a break Shanny knows receivers if he thought he could play he would be here.

Discussing race here take that sh_t somewhere else.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 5, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Right...love that line of logic.

Geez, how much longer till training camp? I'm ready to get 2010 going...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow, is this thing on?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell had "star wide receiver" written all over him. The last staff was stupid for not giving him a shot; this one was just as dumb for cutting him before training camp. The Redskins lack quality receivers.

Posted by: doolindalton1 | May 5, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Amazing how some people fall to pieces just because you question the decisions of Shanahan and them.

So, just because it's Mike Shanahan fans are automatically suppose to RSVP for the circle jerk? Are fans just suppose to lap up whatever they dish out?

I've been behind most of their decisions this offseason. So, I think I"m entitled to question ONE.

Like there isn't any possibility that Shanahan CAN'T EVER or HASN'T EVER been wrong about any football decisions he's ever made... and even he is batting 1.000, dude ain't the second coming. I think Shanahan views or decisions can be challenged.

Then again there are some of you here that will swallow anything with the name "Redskins" attached to it. And if someone does attempt to sway away from that way of being, they're immediately sent to the middle of town square to be hung.

Some of you need to really get over yourselves here. Just because a person's idea doesn't fall in line with yours OR LORD Shahahan, and they choose to debate it, doesn't mean they're petulant, in "mourning", or "butt hurt".

They just see it differently. Get over it, people aren't always going to agree with you, or the majority.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

"Now watch Marko Mitchell become a very good contributor in Detroit. Seems to be the way it works for us."

The advantage he'll have is that he won't be buried behind two high drafted guys and a S Moss type player.

The lions will line him up opposite C Johnson, and if he makes plays, he'll look like a fine off season acquisition.

And he'll look even more so should M Kelly have any health issues.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doolindalton1

You're in the minority with this line of thinking, trust someone will try and rip you for thinking this -- if they haven't already.

I was a Marko Mitchell fan too, but to say he has "star wide receiver" written all over him, maybe a little much.

I do think he has unlimited potential to be an perennial beast in the NFL.

I find it laughable that people think that Kelly is leaps and bounds ahead of Mitchell. You really can't gauge any of the young players over the last two years (charge to an idiot coach and his refusal to play the younger players), but Mitchell produced more in his rookie season than Kelly as a rookie.

Anyway, good luck to Marko. I will be rooting for dude in "the D". If he does make the team and fulfills his potential, him and Calvin Johnson can be become the best 1-2 WRs in the NFL for years...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, whoa, whoa Red...where's all that coming from? I don't think there's a "circle jerk" over "Lord Shanahan" here, I think the prevailing mindset (and one that I agree with) is that Shanny just got here. He's got to clean up years and years worth of mess and still try to put together a competitive team. I don't think it's that "he can do no wrong", so much as "it's too early in the process to say he's f*cking up". The only delusional tendencies I see here are the ones that involve the Redskins setting their team back substantially by cutting a guy (Marko) who will be no higher than 4th on the depth chart at WR. That, my friend, is sheer lunacy.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

We are talking about that perennial StuporBowel contender, DETROIT, right?

I wish Marko well. Would have liked to see him get a chance here. But there isn't much to argue.

Cut it out, already.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 7:51 AM

C'mon Red, I'm surprised at you dude...the Skins burned a 2nd rounder on Kelly. Right or wrong, you owe it to yourself to find out what you've got in the guy and it takes no less than 3-4 years to do that.

While I agree that it would have been nice to keep Marko around thru camp to see what he's got, Shanny has watched film on this guy and he's had him around for at least a couple of practices. There could be some issue with his motor or with his particular skill set that Shanny doesn't like that we have no idea about.

So it's not about blindly following "Lord Shanahan", it's about giving the guy a shot at molding this team in his image. He hasn't screwed up anything here yet, so there's no reason to be so skeptical of such a minor transaction.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Boy, PFT is really pushing this AH trade:

StarCaps ruling coming Thursday
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 7:40 AM ET
We pointed out in Tuesday's edition of PFT Daily that a ruling is coming soon in the StarCaps litigation.

Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the ruling is coming very soon. It's coming on Thursday.

Hanging in the balance is the availability of Vikings defensive tackles Kevin and Pat Williams for the first four games of the 2010 season. And if they're suspended, don't rule out the possibility of the Vikings sending a second-round pick in 2011 to Washington for disgruntled defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

While validation of the suspension would make the Williamses unavailable for the September 9 opener at the Superdome, the Saints undoubtedly would be without defensive end Will Smith, whose own four-game suspension for taking the same substance would be enforced. The league received a green light during the 2009 season to suspend Smith and former Saints defensive end Charles Grant, but the NFL opted not to do so while the Vikings players remained able to avoid the penalty.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

redDmv

"I find it laughable that people think that Kelly is leaps and bounds ahead of Mitchell."

I agree.

I think Marko is way better than Thomas/Kelly.

(Don't ask why, please.)

But they are high draft picks that the team has guaranteed money.

That's why Marko got the pink slip.

I think the reason why both Thomas and Kelly where rated higher is because of the schools they came from (OU and MSU).

Pierre Garcon and M Colston are both proof that school pedigree has nothing to do with wide receiver ability--something someone should also tell the scouts.

But, having said that, I'm hoping for what I like to call "The Brett Favre Effect."

Before Favre came to Minn., Sidney Rice was just another 'big' receiver.

Now, with Favre tossing the rock, he's all pro material.

Hopefully, we skins' fans will see the "McNabb Effect" this Fall as a better thrower should maximize Kelly/Thomas' skills.

And Austin, too, with 4.3 speed, might benefit from the occasional bomb tossed his way.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Boy, PFT is really pushing this AH trade

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:07 AM

might be among the minority on this, but I think there is a reason these rumors about AH keep popping up in different places... and it's not just that the media have a secret agenda to sell more pop-up advertising. if MS and BA can get the right deal, they'll move AH in a heartbeat. didn't get it done during the draft, but that doesn't mean it won't happen as his trade value starts ticking up again.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

MMM, I don't disagree with that at all...I've said up here a bunch of times that AH could and should be traded, especially if it means we can load up on draft picks in the process. I was more for it in this year's draft, but I'll take a pick or two in 2011 if the price is right.

Usually, where there's smoke there's fire. Sometimes stuff gets lost in translation, but I doubt these rumors are completely baseless.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wdcdave | May 5, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Sounds alot like our duo of 2nd rounders for their first year and a half in the league...

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"him and calvin johnson can become the best 1-2 wide receivers in the nfl for years"..

wow....thats just...wow....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Some of you guys are LOL funny! Marko Mitchell is such a talent and the two Shannys and Mcardell have no idea what a good WR looks like, so Mitchell is going to be major star, and Detroit is going to win a Super Bowl. Do I have that all straight?
Good stuff!
This is Darnerian McCants part two.The forth or fifth WR almost always needs to be good on special teams. His spot will be given to someone who can return kicks, an actual need.

Posted by: Jason10 | May 5, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

and this one, "mitchell produced more in his rookie year than kelly"....um..yeah, don't mention that MK was injured to pump up your point.....yikes red, go get a coffee or something....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

The Brett Favre Effect...?

Sidney Rice (for example)

Before Favre:
2008 Minnesota Vikings 15 141

2007 Minnesota Vikings 31 396

That's a total of 46 receptions with 537 yards receiving.

After Favre:

2009 Minnesota Vikings 83 1,312

That's 83 catches with 1,312 yards receiving.

Will there be such a thing as the "McNabb Effect" for Kelly/Moss/Thomas?

Hope so.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:25 AM

exactly... more a response to the "don't trade AH!" and "media sucks!" crowd. with the exception of McNabb and Williams, I see very few sacred cows on this team.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Where was Detroit in the waiver order. I'd be interested to see what teams passed on Marko ahead of Detroit.

Might add some logs to the fire or a little spark depending on hows you look at it.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

The skepticism comes in that Shanny is holding onto Joey Galloway - who hasn't been able to get on the field since 2007 - and Bobby Wade - who has been cut/released by more teams than the rest of our receiving corps combined - and sending a guy with big-time potential packing.

I'm all for some good competition at the WR spot, and I understand it's a numbers game.

But the notion that Joey Galloway is going to "push" anyone is highly suspect, and at 38 years old what real future does he have here? Out of all the people on the this roster he's got "FINISHED" written all over him in bolder letters than anyone else.

Those of us who are felling bummed about seeing Marko get cut so early perfectly understand the notion that Shanny looked at film and decided Marko wasn;t worth keeping - we get it.

The question is why is 38 year old Joey Galloway or Bobby "He-Cut-Me" Wade worth holding on this roster right now.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

wow....thats just...wow....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 8:26 AM

Glad you jumped on that Greg...I was prepared to let that go. Dude probably has no idea what Detroit's WR depth chart looks like. I mean, how realistic is it that Marko beats out Nate Burleson, Bryant Johnson, and Dennis Northcutt for the starting gig?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

frak,
wow...thanks for that zappa link. man he was great.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 5, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 8:32 AM

isn't it inverse order of W-L record? could be wrong, but if so it means only St. Louis passed on Marko.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

""And if they're suspended, don't rule out the possibility of the Vikings sending a second-round pick in 2011 to Washington for disgruntled defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.""

AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Sorry. I'm going to go ahead and rule out that possibility.

Trading AH to anyone for a single 2nd round draft pick is beyond stupid.

If the Fins can dish out 2 second-rounders and a $40 mill contract to the poster-boy of talented problem children Brandon Marshall, then the Skins should be able to get MORE for a guy who is a Top 5 veteran talent at his position AND comes at a discounted rate.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"I mean, how realistic is it that Marko beats out Nate Burleson, Bryant Johnson, and Dennis Northcutt for the starting gig?"

Not likely, but he should get into the rotation opposite C Johnson.

If he can't break into that group, he's a goner.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Broken hearts are for SJKholes!

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Comments: According to a league source, the Vikings also put in a waiver claim for Mitchell

6'4", 215 lbs, 4.3 in the 40. It's said that teams as bad as the Redskins might not want to be passing up a talent like this.

I like the conspiracy theory above. However if it is true it makes Shanny petty.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

This year, maybe not very likely.

But all those guys have hit their ceilings, and if the Lions can be patient with Marko - help him work on his routes/technique a bit - then I would think he's got a great chance to surpass those guys.

6'4'', 220, runs a sub-4.5, great hands, beasted out on the lesser competition he's played against.

Why not feel hopeful?

...unless of course your coaches see 38-year old Joey Galloway as a better commodity.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 8:37 AM

Here's where I disagree with the masses--when did we see "big-time potential" from Marko? Which of his 4 career catches showed the flash of brilliance at WR that we've been craving since Art Monk left? I just don't accept the preseason superstar hype on a guy until he does it when the games count. That goes for Marko and for Marcus Mason and any other potential late-round/undrafted feel-good story in the last several years.

I mean, it's not like we have a stable of All-Pros at WR like Arizona and that's the reason Marko didn't see the field. He couldn't beat out ARE or either of the 2nd rounders. I wouldn't expect him to as a rookie, but again--if Shanny saw something he didn't like on film or in practice, I'll take his word over the few here that fall in love with every preseason baller they see.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 8:52 AM

thanks larry, maybe I should rephrase the awkward comment that "only St. Louis passed on Marko"? sounds more like 30 teams looked the other way.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Both Shanahan and Allen have plenty to prove. Objective analysts would go back and comb through the track record of both individuals and discover that it's mixed. Recently, i.e. Shanny's last years in Denver and Allen's record with Gruden in Tampa, it hasn't been very good.

There's plenty these two gentlemen have done already in Washington to raise concerns in my book. Wade, Galloway, the 3-4 switch, dealing with AH, signing Johnson, Parker, the McNabb trade. Some good stuff too.

Interesting for Sellers to compare the new regime to Gibbs II. I think there's a lot to that and we'll see similar results. It's basically win now, folks.

Posted by: Pepper5 | May 5, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, let me ask you this - do you see any "big-time" potential in Devin Thomas and/or Malcolm Kelly. And if so, why?

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 8:52 AM

Probably every team in the league, except the Rams and the Redskins, put in a waiver claim for this future Pro Bowler who can't make the Redskins 900-man roster. Of course, if any team really wanted the guy then they would have offered the Redskins a 7th round pick in next year's draft.

You like the "conspiracy theory"? Then how about this one: Marko Mitchell was cut because Joey Galloway refused to sign until the Redskins agreed to cut him. Joey Galloway is now calling all the shots for WRs at Redskins Park.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan's 'finds':

Rod Smith

Terrel Davis

Brandon Marshall

Clinton Portis

Point:

Despite the Marko Fiasco, I'll still put my trust in Shanny's talent judgement.

Mitchell is a lion now, and I wish him all the best...until he comes to FEDEX Field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Good luck to Mitchell. It was a mistake letting him go without a realistic chance of seeing what he can do in this offense. It's no surprise he got picked up so quickly.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Good stuff!

Posted by: Jason10 | May 5, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

No, that's not what everyone is saying. Noone has said that MM is a probowler and is the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice. Clearly, he's unproven and noone can make a decision either way based on what he's done so far. People are simply disappointed because he had the raw skills and potential to be a quality receiver for us. He simply didn't get a chance to develop.

I think most were just hoping for something good to finally develop with our lackluster receiving corp and MM seemed to have that potential.

Obviously, Shanallen knows what they need to run the team better than any of us (that's why they pay them the big bucks). So, purporting that everyone thinks they know better than Shanallen and are being stupid about losing MM is...well...stupid.

Posted by: HTTR | May 5, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 9:06 AM

He's had his chance this whole offseason off the field to impress the new staff through his commitment in learning the offense, his dedication in the weight room, etc. He had a minicamp to impress the coaches on the field. He didn't do in their estimation. It happens.

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:04 AM

In Devin Thomas yes--he had a 7 catch, 100 yard performance against the eventual Super Bowl champion and he's at least making the claim that he's taking football more seriously than he did as a rookie. With Kelly, he's been hurt much of his time here so I'm not sold on him until he gets on the field and shows me something. I'm on record here as saying that of the 3 2nd round picks of '08, the Skins had no business taking either Davis or Kelly after getting Devin Thomas. But the pick has been made and we have to make the most of it.

I like Marko. I wanted to see him get a shot in training camp just like everyone else. But I refuse to mourn the loss like he was a superstar in the making because we didn't see anything in regular season that would lead us to believe that. Just like I've said about Marcus Mason for years--just because you ball out in the 2nd half of preseason games against guys who are now driving beer trucks and stocking grocery store shelves, doesn't mean you'll do it against NFL starters.

Just like many of these matters we kick around here, we'll see. I guess we now have a reason to take interest in the Lions...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

See and people wonder why I get ill, wasn't mad or nothing just making a comment...

wow....thats just...wow....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

So I'm not wrong if I act an ass, right?

If you can step away from your computer and stand to NOT be a condescending dick_head, then maybe you can sale back the wit for a second and offer points to counter what I had to say.

What's to say that Mitchell won't do well in Detroit? As a matter of fact if you actually copied and pasted the entire post you would read the words " fulfills his potential"... not saying that's a given, but it could happen.

Like it could happen that you wake up one morning and realize that you don't have to be a smug piece of sh*t everyday of your life, Greg.

You represent all the a**holes I was talking about who acts their opinion is the end all be all on this board.

Go fu_k yourself you dumb bastard.

Now I'll go get that cup of coffee...

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to take issue w/ the 'big time potential' advocates and offer that perhaps 'heart' is what they really mean to say.

Otherwise, I just don't see the argument. Sorry.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

red, while you're up get me one too....thanks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

HTTR

"I think most were just hoping for something good to finally develop with our lackluster receiving corp..."

That hope has been with some of us longer than Mitchell.

Consider these wr failures:

M Westbrook

T Jacobs

D Howard

R Gardner

A Randle El

L Coles (came, saw, begged to leave)

And it stands for right now, Kelly/Thomas are in a 'make or break' year where they must produce, stay healthy, and justify themselves.

'Cuz if they don't, the Redskin WR FAIL list will gain two new names.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 9:01 AM

No, actually you are right about the teams with the worst record having first dibbs to sign. Other teams such as the Vikings can put in a claim but can only exercise it once all the teams ahead of them have passed.

Whilst I google the actual order for the NFL waiver wire, was able to verify the order is set by a teams record in inverse order.

The Vikings may have been showing inerest in the hopes that a team ahead of them might want to strike some kind of deal.

All in all the Rams are the only team whom had a chance to pass on Marko.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HTTR | May 5, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

HTTR, it's really not worth responding to the moronic posts like Jason10.

It seems that there's a contingent up here that just refuses to engage in any discussion about Mitchell in a thoughtful way.

They either

1) launch off into some ridiculous sarcastic hyperbole about what those of us disappointed in the release are actually saying. E.G.

"OH, YOU DON'T LIKE THE MARKO MITCHELL RELEASE? WEEEEELLLLL, THAT'S TOO BAD. AFTER ALL, HE'S GOING TO BE A 20X PRO-BOWLER WHO IS GOING TO CATCH 1000 BALLS NEXT YEAR FOR 2000 TDS, EH!?!?"

2) Tell us again and again and again and again that the reason Mitchell got released is b/c Shanny cut him. E.G:

Poster 1: "Man, I'm bummed about the Mitchell release".

Moron 1: "He got release b/c Shanny looked at the film and cut him."

Poster 1: "Thanks, I realize that. I'm wondering what it was specifically that they didn't like."

Moron 1: "Well, obviously they didn't like him. They looked at the film and decided to cut him."

Poster 1: "Yeah, I know that's how it works. I'm just curious to know what they see in some of these other guys they kept that is better than what they saw in Marko."

Moron 1: "They cut him because Shanny is the coach and he wanted him cut."

Poster: "Why do you keep saying the same obvious thing? I understand the mechanics of 'how' cuts happen. I'm curious to know more about the 'why'."

Moron 1: "SHANNY IS A 2X SUPERBOWL COACH. WHO ARE YOU TO QUESTION HIM!?!?! I'M GOING TO TRUST HIS OPINION OVER YOURS ANY DAY !?!?!? HE LOOKED AT THE FILM AND DECIDED TO CUT HIM!?!?!"

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"He's had his chance this whole offseason off the field to impress the new staff through his commitment in learning the offense, his dedication in the weight room, etc. He had a minicamp to impress the coaches on the field. He didn't do in their estimation.

Posted by: TWISI"

That's not a realistic chance to see what he can do in this offense.

I understand that cuts need to be made and that not everyone can be on the roster, but the idea that he was given a shot under Shanahan based on offseason conditioning workouts and a 3-day introductory minicamp is just not correct.

It would be much more sensible if people claimed Shanahan decided that Mitchell wasn't worth giving a shot under this regime, due to whatever factors. At least that has a ring of truth to it.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

red, while you're up get me one too....thanks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 9:21 AM

Red is always up. Has to be. Otherwise he couldn't f*ck everyone on the blog.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

DikShuttle, frak,
if marko doesn't catch on with detroit, he might wind up working in a gas station...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 5, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 7:36 AM

Reds....

Here's the situation:

(My Parent's went on away on a week's vacation)

Marko made the team last year because Vinny knew someone snatch him up and he couldn't sneek him back onto the PSqaud.

Year after year, plenty of Presean All Stars get cut. He produced in the 4th QTR against 3rd and 4th Teamers who also were cut are if they made the team was because of them playing SPECIAL TEAMS.....

Portis said Marko was burning all of our DBs last year....

...But remember....Everyone who was watching practice (the players) said Malcom Kelly is the TRUTH (11)....So how the F*ck can you try to knock MK12????

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 5, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:24 AM

MOL! except you forgot that moron #1 is equally convinced that poster#1 = moron#2 for caring so much in the first place, and thus doesn't feel the need to go so far into the details.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Surprise, surprise. brownwood26 co-signing and lapping up whatever beantowngreg shoves down his throat. Typical run-behind b*tch made move...

I'm thinking that Greg made his stupid ass comments because he's thinking that I'm thinking, or that I know somehow that Marko Mitchell can become a good receiver in the NFL.

For the record, I never said that he's a for sure thing. ALL I'm saying is, it would've been nice for dude to get a shot here. I think he can become one of the better wide outs in the league. I mean, is is a fu_king crime that I think this, or wanted him to do that here!?!?!?!

But whatever, keep high-fiving your blog butt dog and whatnot.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Im disappointed that Marko's not getting a shot here either.

My point is that if people think DT and MK have potential, what is lacking about MM?

Mitchell is as tall/big as these guys, almost as fast as Thomas and faster than Kelly, he's got great hands.

So as far the potential in terms of size/athleticism, he's right there.

He's a raw talent - what do expect from a rookie?

Neither DT or MK could manage to get on the field much in their rookie years. MK got pulled OFF the field last year.

DT has played in 30 games with 11 starts and only has a single 100 yard game to his name...is that really eye-popping production to show "big-time" potential.

Malcolm Kelly has fared far far worse.

At the very least Mitchell did beast out in preseason when he was getting consistent chances - all he can do is make the most of his opportunities. It's not like they were forcing him into the lineup, the way they were with DT/MK.

He's not Marcus Mason. The knock on Mason was that he's not big enough or fast enough or athletic enough to really cut it in the NFL as a RB. Mitchell has all the physical tools to succeed.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell has underwhelmed 2 coaching staffs so far. That's enough for me. And being one about 80 Detroit Lions - not guarantted to make the final roster - isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

How's that for a reasoned argument?

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, I don't know of any coach outside of Jim Zorn that will do in-depth why they cut a guy. The only time I've seen a coach do that is if it's a surprise release of a big-name veteran. I'm not sure it's compelling TV for Shanny to stand there and explain why the 7th round pick from last year that caught a whopping 4 passes is allowed to search for work elsewhere.

So now that you've railed on all those who roll their eyes at the Marko slurpers, perhaps you can explain to me why you demand answers for the release of the 45th best player on the roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

And if that is the case, then Moron 1 is free to just sit out the discussion rather than waste blog space repeating the same asinine crap.

Of course, since he's a Moron, he probably doesn't realize that.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Of course, since he's a Moron, he probably doesn't realize that.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:36 AM

fortunately for blog hits, morons throughout the world don't realize this, regardless of their numerical designation.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

omSJKg

Are we really going to argue which corner of the SJK sandwich tastes less like SJK?

We need good receivers. Hopefully we'll get some or have some develop. Someday.

No one we have has been impressive lately. One of the worst teams in football thinks one of our guys was worth waiver money.

Stop it already. I'm about to ITA the whole blog!

Of course, if WaPo could give us some good reasoning behind the persistent Stompy rumors, that would be nice.

How's about some more background on our new pics? Are any of their mothers hoo... wait a minute... nevermind.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

greg made his comments because of what you said regarding calvin, and marko....I also made my comments because guys with WAY more football acumen that you, me, truth, and talent evaluator combined didn't see it with this guy...guys who have the hardware on their fingers to back them up, versus us...now where is that coffee....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"Mitchell has underwhelmed 2 coaching staffs so far."

Who said he underwhelmed the first coaching staff? He was a 7th round pick that worked his way onto the field his rookie year (for an offensive staff that hated playing rookies), enough so that he was active for 10 games despite 'not playing special teams' and sitting behind a healthy bevy of wide receivers, including 2 long-time experienced veterans and 2 highly invested-in draft picks. Sounds like you're just making things up to support your argument.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

How's that for a reasoned argument?

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Pretty crappy considering

1) He impressed last year's coaching staff enough to make the team and the active roster as a 7th-round rookie. If you think that happens alot in the NFL, you're wrong.

2) The Lions were the second team in line to claim him off of waivers, and there are reports that at least one other team would have been interested. The fact that he got snatched so early off of waivers actually speaks to the fact that other teams see potential in him over a host of other WR FAs that are out there - both young and old.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor

Because aside from the fact that Kelly was a 2nd round pick, and that he had one more year experience, there isn't too much of a difference in between the two from a production and talent point of view.

Bottom line, 4th: If Kelly and Marko were drafted in the same draft and were picked in the same round, Kelly would not be the overwhelming favorite between the two.

People would be pissed if Kelly were cut two years removed from being drafted. And they would have every right to.

However necessary and logical, all I'm saying it's too bad that it comes at the expense of a talented receiver.

Fu_k man! Can't you see the the logic in that?!?!?!?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

For those of you that keep going back to Marko's game time performance and the fact that he could not beat anyone out here as a Redskin, YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS.

This past regime hasn't had football competition for years. They didn't know who their best players were. They penciled in guys based upon what they did years ago and the offense did not practice regularly against the first team defense.

And when they did call themselves 'PRACTICING' the so called penciled in starters stood on the side lines.

So to make the analogy that Marko didn't earn anything in practice and in the games isn't really saying anything at all.

I don't know what Redskin team you guys that make those assertions about Mitchell not earning anything have been watching, but the Redskin team I have been watching never game Mitchell a chance in gametime to prove one way or the other.

And for that matter, Thomas and Kelly were given only token roles in the offensive scheme of themes at best.

Jim Zorn wouldn't know how to run a offense if somebody gave him a head coaching job and said come up with your own scheme. Ugh, Ugh, Ugh. Familiar. Kelly wasn't used here. Zorn didn't know how.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

shouldve given marko a chance.6ft4,good hands,and not 38yrs old.

Posted by: DLESMonday | May 5, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"One of the worst teams in football thinks one of our guys was worth waiver money."

So does one of the best teams in football, or did you miss the news that Minnesota wanted him too?

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

So as far the potential in terms of size/athleticism, he's right there.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:33 AM

funk, you can literally say that about almost ANY drafted player. Physically, there is just a negligable difference between Marko and guys like Devin Thomas and Michael Crabtree. What seperates the bad from the good and the good from the great is how much you're willing to put into it. The guys that work hardest and take it the most seriously are the ones who excell.

So Marko (and I'm guessing here since Shanny hasn't and probably won't address his reasons) probably didn't measure up in that department. Shanahan has developed late rounders and undrafted guys into stars (see Rod Smith, Ed McCaffrey, Brandon Marshall, etc.), so that's the reason I trust him on this. We see potential in Marko because we get caught up in the measurables and in preseason performance. Shanny probably judges guys on things we'd have no way of seeing.

So while I agree that it would have been nice to have Marko around in preseason to further gauge his potential, I'm not going to spend time fretting over a guy who is now property of the Lions. Time will tell who's right and who's wrong on him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

That's not a realistic chance to see what he can do in this offense.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 9:26 AM

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Because Mitchell was a very popular young player among the fanbase. He impressed in preaseason more than anyone else when he got chances, and the fact that he went from being a 7th round afterthought to actually making the team (not just practice squad) and the active roster is a great story.

Seriously, it's not like I'm wondering why they cut James Robinson.

The WaPo poll done just a few days back was just one example of how popular Marko Mitchell was.

Considering the point of pro football is to be public entertainment for the fanbase, it doesn't stretch credulity that the coaches could share some thoughts about cutting a player that the fanbase had high hopes for and really liked.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Shanny saw enough in film AND minicamp to let him go. None of us were privvy to that. Good enough for me.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Geez Red, we tend to agree on a variety of topics (including a partial 'agree' on THIS topic), I'm not sure why all of a sudden I have to be the enemy here. Agree to disagree man, no need to go to war over it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

No, greg made his comments because if you DARE challenge his opinion or any other opinion he hold near and dear to his heart, you're automatically an idiot and should be disposed of immediately via firing squad.

And cut "he has the hardware" bullsh*t. Joe Gibbs won THEE super bowls... yeah, how's that decision to move up and draft Jason Campbell looking, Greg!?!?!
Just cause Lord Shanahan won two super bowls that DOESN'T mean that every single move he makes is the absolute right one and shouldn't EVER be questioned. What are you, some sort of mindless lap dog? It's okay to think differently than Shanahan, Greg. You won't spontaneously combust the moment you have a though that deviates from Shanahan's.

And go get your own damn coffee. My name isn't Toby and this ain't 1817.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

OK.

You fall neatly into the "Shanny cut him because Shanny is the coach and he wanted to cut him" camp.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM

OK, so then you'll demand similar answers if/when this coaching staff cuts Colt Brennan?

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I liked Marko Mitchell, but the reality is he probably was not going to make the Skins roster this year. He played well in the final couple of pre-season games -- against scrubs -- but he was inactive for 13 real NFL games and didn't perform in the others.

The Skins probably prefer a 4th or 5th WR that plays special teams and doesn't have trouble comprehending the mental aspects of route running. Austin probably takes his place due to his ST capabilities. Both of the recently signed veteran WRs -- Wade and Galloway -- have ST experience.

Posted by: siris | May 5, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"So why would a guy like Anthony Armstrong still be on the team. Could it be that Anthony showed better than Marko. If so couldn't it be said that if Marko had done what he did last year, besides getting drafted, he would still be on the team. I await your response and then I'll be done with it. I just think it wrong to assume that he wasn't provided an opportunity to show what he could contribute to the team at this time. The Fo has been in place for awhile now. Does Marko have potential to play in this league...sure, but that can be said with all NFL players. Gotta be in the right situation to have the best chance to succeed.

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 9:50 AM"

I'm not sure who Anthony Armstrong is, but it could be a numbers thing with regards to position, could be a needed body for training camp, could be a number of things.

We'll agree to disagree at this point. You think it's wrong to assume he wasn't provided an opportunity to succeed, I think it's wrong to assume anybody that was cut after only 3 days of practice was provided an opportunity to succeed. Again, it would be better if you claimed Shanahan deemed him not worth the opportunity, because that would be much more truthful.

And even if that's the case, I still would disagree with Shanahan's decision, based on what I've seen and the reports I've read about Mitchell. It's not like Shanahan hasn't made the mistake of prematurely cutting players, including receivers, before (he did it with Domenic Hixon and Eddie Kennison in Denver, both of whom went on to produce with their subsequent teams).

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM

Probably the coaches see their job a lot different than you see it. They see their job as winning games. By winning games, they please the fanbase. They realize, as you apparently don't, that giving a public performance review on Marko Mitchell will not help them win games.

You keep saying the same thing over and over. You fall into the camp "The coaches cut him but they shouldn't have. Now, let me repeat that. The coaches cut him but they shouldn't have."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Red is making an excellent point, if you can get through all his histrionics. Beathard is the primary reason for Gibbs success. They argued often over personnel. Now, it's easy to see who was responsible for what. But even Beathard made some incorrect steps, so no one is beyond questioning.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

twisi

"Could it be that Anthony showed better than Marko?"

Definately so.

And folks are really beginning to make much ado about nothing.

Fan favs get cut/released everyday in the NFL.

In fact, because of that, I'm wondering if any right tackle, cornerback, and linebacker types have been cut.

We have back up needs at those positions: not receiver.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

No, I won't.

I'm not in the Cult, and I don't care if we keep him (though others may).

But the fact that Colt crapped out so badly in last year's preseason gives me enough of a reason straight-up to understand why they may not want to keep him around.

If they do cut him and others want to debate that move up here, that's fine for them.

But I won't be one of the guys who puts up a dozen posts saying - "They cut him because they looked at the film and decided to cut him".

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

beep beep except for red, who should report to the lions/marko mitchell blog....give it a rest...if you don't get that Shanny is different than gibbs, and that BOTH guys know more about football, and football players, then you're galactically stupid....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:35 AM

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM

agreed w/ brownwood, and I've said as much before... but I don't think there is anything wrong with JReid or some other scribbler asking Shanahan about it at the next press briefing. doubt that you'll hear much of substance, though. you could also try writing a letter, or join the Marko Mitchell facebook page:

in addition to "The Jamie Foxx Show" he also likes the Washington Redskins. maybe you could help him with a refresh?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 10:04 AM

If he wasn't worth the opportunity he'd been cut with the JD Solinsky's of the world. Armstrong is a WR the Skins picked up late in 2009 who beat Marko out for the right to join the Skins in their traing camp.

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

But you skipped over the whole fact based assesment I put on MK12....The Players were saying he was a beast in practice.....

Like I've said time and time again, I don't like players just to like them...I like them for a reason...And all the players who were interviewed labeled MK12 as legit. PERIOD YOU BAMA A$$ MOFO RALLO CLEVELAND LOOK ALIKE........SO KEEP MK12 OUT YA MOUTH.....

(Wow...how I hate the offseason)

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 5, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:07 AM

I don't get why you need more than that. At the end of the day, it's the job of the coach to shape the roster how he sees fit. It's a total waste of time for him to hold a presser to explain himself after every cut just because a segment of the fanbase liked the guy. There's a "Cult of Colt" here, and whether or not you're in that number, based on what you're saying Shanahan would have to explain himself for cutting Colt the same way he has to explain himself for cutting Marko.

Some stuff you're just not going to get answers for. Just like you don't chase down your ex-girlfriend because you didn't get a satisfactory answer for why she dumped you, you don't try and hold Shanny's feet to the fire for cutting a former 7th rounder at the end of the bench.

The only difference between you and I on this issue is that I'm willing to accept that and move on and you'd rather wait outside Shanny's car to confront him.

Oh, and BEEP BEEP

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Let's start the "Bring Back Leigh Torrance" chants!!! Anyone??? .............

Posted by: ac1007 | May 5, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM

Great point p1funk. Hasn't the Skins been villified on by some of these same bloggers for being indifferent to the fan base?

Marko Mitchell deserved a bit more than indifference from Shanny. To make a comment or two would have said more for Shanny. After all, it is more important that Shanny got it right and making a comment to the fanbase about a Marko Mitchell would seem only right.

It would speak to more as to where Shanny and the org' is rather than speculation on Marko.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | May 5, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Larry, that's funny. You actually think Shanny should let the fanbase have a say in who is on the roster? Please.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

WOW!

Marko signed with a team faster than TO, and all the other great receivers still out there.

Does this tell you something Shanny, about your dumb ass moves!

This is going to be a horrible regime... mark the words of Sports_Guru!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

From what I saw of Mitchell, I liked him! He made some good grabs and has lots of potential!

Gallaway is over the hill and was never great on his best day! The Redskins need to be rebuilt with young players through the draft. So far this team looks like a retirement home for has beens from Shannahan on down!

Posted by: sbf845 | May 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

If Kelly starts and Marko starts in the D, Marko outplays him, no question.

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 5, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

This is going to be a horrible regime... mark the words of Sports_Guru!
Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 10:37 AM
---------------------
So noted.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Well, let's see, for a 5th round pick I can have either Adam Carricker or Santonio Holmes. I've got McNabb - but he's got no one to throw to other than a couple of TE's. Carricker isn't really an upgrade over what I already have on the roster. I'll take Carricker and sign Joey Galloway for cheap. Shanny the GM got Shanny the Coach fired in Denver.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

HTTR

That hope has been with some of us longer than Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't agree more. I guess we're back to the drawing board if/when Thomas and Kelly fail to live up to their hype. I really miss the days of Monk/Clark.

Posted by: HTTR | May 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

LOL! I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Posted by: HTTR | May 5, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

too many holes on the o-line except for rabach..you need to cut back on the alcohol you obviously have never watched a washington game: rabach is a weak undersized center,slow,makes too many critical mistakes during drives and gets knocked off of the line of scrimmage regularly but because he is a white man and NO one calls him out(so-called media)he gets a pass. if shanahan is smart rabach will be the next to lose his job as did heyer. no one knows how m. mitchell will turn out he is on another team and his career will play out.

Posted by: wathu19 | May 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

i don't understand everyone who thinks he's going to be amazing for the lions. what do you base that on? that he caught 2 passes one preseason? or that he couldn't break the line-up when he was competing with 2 rookies and randle el? relax, people.

Posted by: skinsfanforlife2 | May 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

WOW!

Does this tell you something Shanny, about your dumb ass moves!

This is going to be a horrible regime... mark the words of Sports_Guru!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

=============================

Even though I'm an innocent bystander here (I could really care less about what the Redskins do -- the banter on this blog is a great workplace diversion), I still felt the need to chime in on this:

Marko was picked up because he's (1) young, (2) athletic, (3) cheap, and (4) has potential. TO is asking for far too much money ($5 million per), old and declining... I can't fathom why they've decided to pick up Galloway and Wade outside of the fact that they can be seen as viable options in the return game.

Carry on...

Posted by: arizona4 | May 5, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell = Jimmy Farris = Colt Brennan

Delusional Fan Preseason Favorites who for some reason they believe can actually produce against 1st string talent....which has been shown...they can't.

Love 'em in the preseason....or on the practice squad...but never on the roster.

THen again these are the same people that don't know a single thing about football.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | May 5, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Why all the hostility?

Posted by: nativedc | May 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"shouldve given marko a chance..."

I agree.

Given the state of the team last year, there really was nothing to lose for the organization. Hopefully he will have a long career in Detroit.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 5, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Detroit has a guard Daniel Loper, pretty good (used to play for Titans). Couldn't we have gotten a trade?

Posted by: ElYeah | May 5, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

How do you prove yourself to anyone when Zorn is the coach. Its a given they did'nt start therer best players, they started the one's who made the most, or where high draft picks. Marko played the fade in the end zone 100x's better than kelly, who could'nt manage to turn himself smoothly in the end zone and make a correction on the ball

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | May 5, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell will be a stud in Detroit, and former Redskins-CB and current Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew will be laughing in our general direction.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | May 5, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Portis Pockets Straight!

Posted by: chop1 | May 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Skin fas is dillusional is very very pathetic..dont know no better. they dont be haivng grasp of reality, reality bites...see my point.

Posted by: Incognito00 | May 6, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Future Stats - even if they pain you Skin fans.
J Campbell, 3500 yards, 25/30 tds.
Carthwright, 850/1000 rushing yards, 5tds
Marko Mitchell, 75 catches 750/900 yards, 5tds
JP Hill, 7tds 500 yards
Montgomery, 45 solo tackles, 5 sacks.

How'bout that!

Posted by: Incognito00 | May 6, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I think we are going to regret that one.

Dude may not be randy Moss, but he could've given us valuable time at Receiver....not a good look

Galloway???....he should be cut now..

Posted by: impervious99 | May 6, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse