McCardell adjusting from player to coach

During the latter part of his 17-year-career, Washington Redskins wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell would see Donovan McNabb and McNabb, then the quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles, would try to convince McCardell to play in Philadelphia. McNabb is now with the Redskins, and McCardell has witnessed what could have been had he played with McNabb.

"Sometimes you want to go out there and catch some of his passes," McCardell said. "But you know what? I got to teach my guys to go out there, get wide open and catch his passes."

McCardell spent the 2009 training camp as a coaching intern with the New York Giants and coached in the 2010 East-West Shrine Game. But in his first season as a full-time NFL coach, McCardell is making a similar adjustment to many of his young players.

He is only two seasons removed from his playing career and still has relationships with players around the league. But now his voice carries different weight. As a player, McCardell said he was able to "shoot it straight" with teammates. As a coach, he said, he needs to find a balance and must be more patient.

"I'm learning patience," McCardell said. "I'm a guy that everyone says was pretty successful as a receiver. I expect a lot out of the guys. I see myself running the routes, I see myself doing the job. And then I tell them, 'You can't fool me. I've been in your shoes. I've done all the things you think you can do wrong. I've done them. And you can't fool me. I know what you're thinking.' And they come back and say, 'You're right.'"

McCardell was a two-time Pro Bowler who eclipsed 1,000 receiving yards in five different seasons. No receiver on the Redskins' roster has a resume like McCardell's -- not even 16-year veteran Joey Galloway, who is nearly 600 yards shy of matching McCardell's 11,373 career receiving yards.

McCardell said it's still not a given that younger players will listen to him because of what he's accomplished on the field.

"You would think so, but sometimes it doesn't translate," McCardell said. "But as a coach, you got to keep pressing. But me, as an ex-player, I wonder why they wouldn't do it. Because I have the answers to the test that they're trying to master."

By Zach Berman  |  June 4, 2010; 2:09 PM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reed Doughty breaks bone in hand, will continue to work out
Next: Poll: Which RBs will survive?

Comments

Zac Brown Band, Chicken Fried....good Friday music.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I like The Avette Brothers and Old Crow Medicine Show on a Friday.

Good getting drunk music.

Posted by: iH8dallas | June 4, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Fist!First baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: fight4oldDC | June 4, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Fist First baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: fight4oldDC | June 4, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------

No one wants to hear about your sick fetishes.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | June 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 4, 2010 12:48 PM

I believe someone showed you how your reliance on those stats was flawed. Nevertheless, I know what I see when I watch the games. And, it's my opinion. Stats like those you posted don't settle the issue. These types of arguments are probably why you no longer practice law. Finally, its not as if I said Rogers was better than Asomugah or Revis. We're talking the difference between Rogers and Hall. Some of you all are reacting as if it isn't even debatable.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Stats alone don't settle the issue - I put up about 10 different metrics showing that Hall is clearly a superior cover-corner and that's flawed??

These arguments are why I no longer practice law??? Arguments where I present hard measurable evidence of Hall's superiority??? And your counterpoint is that you just think Rogers is better because that's just waht you think and it's your opinion??? Arguments like that are why you'd never even get into law school.

Don't be ridiculous.

So what settles the issue? Your couch-potato assessment of the matter?

Carlos Rogers has been benched and lost his starting spot each of the last 2 years at some point - his coaches clearly have had mixed feelings about his performances. Do their opinions matter? If measurable data isn't sufficient, do the opinions of his coaches count for anything???

Probably not, after all, you watch the games from your living room and your opinion is what it is... I guess that settles the matter.

Posted by: p1funk | June 4, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

McCardell will be a great coach. He has his hands full with the current bunch. I wonder how much say he has, though. Does anyone think he was the one behind Marko Mitchell getting the axe?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

p1, get out of here with stats, facts and things of that nature to prove a point.....

that certainly means nothing, when compared with an opinion.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

that certainly means nothing, when compared with an opinion.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I know. I'm going about this all wrong, but I've learned my lesson.

Here's my new heater for the argument:

I watch the games with my own eyes, and I think DeAngelo Hall is better.

There. Case Closed.

Posted by: p1funk | June 4, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 4, 2010 2:56 PM

my guess is that the coaching staff and front office are collaborating as a team with respect to those questions... obviously a big difference from the past decade.

the jury is still out on McCardell and other former interns as coaches, although I'm glad to see that he leveraged the intern program (established 2006?) into a real position.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 4, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"17-year-career" should read "17-year career", no hyphen needed between "year" and "career". I know it's the off-season, but let's not throw away the AP Stylebook just yet.

Posted by: DCV1 | June 4, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

p1, you gotta bang the gavel, after case closed to make it legit......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | June 4, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Tom Brandstater... come on down. You are the next QB to visit Washington and please, say good-bye to Colt Brennan on your way in.

Seriously, Denver just release this guy. He wasn't drafted by Shanahan but he was scouted by a Broncos org attuned to Shanny's vision. I got this feeling this guy is on a plane to Redskins park right now.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | June 4, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

apologies, was massively confused on that last post.

NFLPA/NCAA coaching internships were established in 2006.

Samuels is working on a "Bill Walsh Minority Fellowship" internship.... that program was established in 1987, with graduates including Raheem Morris, Herm Edwards, Marvin Lewis, Lovie Smith, and Mike Tomlin.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

...and the Walsh program is the same one that McCardell participated in w/ NYG.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 4, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

You know, it's alright to have an opinion and stand by it, even when the facts dwarfs one's opinion.

But don't try and discredit the facts because it isn't in-line with your opinion. At least acknowledge the facts.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 4, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

new thread, Red... just us lonely cows waiting around after the herd wandered off.

we could use a cowbell or something around here.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 4, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Keenan is in trouble. He talks like he's at the mercy of the player wanting to be the best he can be. That means same old failure. Hey coach let the player know his responsibilities when the center puts the ball in the quarterbacks hand. If you see he don't get it, you make sure he and your superiors are aware that he don't get it, and locate and focus on the one who does get it. Coach you be the best you can be at your job and raise the level of the pass offensive or everybody fail. Case Closed.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | June 7, 2010 2:32 AM | Report abuse