Redskins add receiver to the practice squad

The Redskins signed receiver Ray Small to their practice squad this week, taking the place made available when running back Keiland Williams was elevated to the 53-man roster last Saturday. Williams took the place of receiver Devin Thomas, who was cut.

Small, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound rookie from Ohio State, spent the preseason with Minnesota but was cut after playing in two preseason games in which he caught four passes for 43 yards.

"It's a blessing, because I thought it was over," Small said. "I thought it was over for me."

Small played sporadically at Ohio State and was suspended multiple times for academic issues. He finished his career with 61 catches for 693 yards and three touchdowns.

"They told me I have an opportunity," Small said. "That's basically all a player needs is an opportunity. Hopefully I come in, show them what I can do, show them my work ethic and hopefully get bumped up."

By Barry Svrluga  | October 13, 2010; 4:17 PM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan game-planning for Freeney and Mathis
Next: Analysis: Is it time for a LaRon Landry contract extension?

Comments

This monkey's gone to heaven.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

What? 'TD' MARKO wasn't brought back. Where's that sharp knife............?

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the perfect replacement for DT11.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 13, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"Small played sporadically at Ohio State and was suspended multiple times for academic issues."

The team needed a guy they could set on fire and have run through the gasoline field, and this guy was just smart enough to do it...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the perfect replacement for DT11.

Posted by: MColeman51 | October 13, 2010 4:27 PM
-----------------------------------------
No way. No one knows their way around on training room nap like DT. Nobody.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 13, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Great.

A sub-6ft WR who weighs 100-nothing pounds...just what this team needed.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I want a Spinach and Feta cheese pizza.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

1:37 --Ray Small highlight

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 13, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone ask Shanahan about Devin Thomas today? I'm on pins and needles.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 13, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone ask Shanahan about Devin Thomas today? I'm on pins and needles.

Posted by: themantoyou | October 13, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I want an update on his first practice with the Panthers. Also, how long will it take before Steve Smith punches him in the face?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we're adding another slow-witted rocket scientist to replace the Stephen Hawking type in DT11 we just lost.

RSmall: Coach, I can't find the practice field.

Shanahan: Don't worry.

Just make sure you do the kind of things it takes to be a professional receiver.

RSmall: What does that mean?

Shanahan: It means that if you can't be the guy we want you to be, the only thing you'll find around here is the way back to the airport.

Here's your number 11 jersey, btw.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

RSmall: Coach, I can't find the practice field.

Shanahan: Don't worry.

RSmall: What does that mean?

Here's your number 11 jersey, btw.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to hang out with Brandon Banks.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

So Addai was limited at practice from a neck injury. Should be ready to play this weekend. Well... he may want to reconsider that. Landry smells blood in the water he's likely to take him out with a neck shot. Said Addai when asked for comment, "Well we'll see how it goes, right now it's still pretty sore. It's hard to turn my head from side to side. I think I'll probably need one more week to recover."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we signed another Smurf. Is alvin Garrett still available?

Posted by: rmcpks73 | October 13, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Looks like we signed another Smurf. Is alvin Garrett still available?

Posted by: rmcpks73 | October 13, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Glad we signed a young receiver...that's exactly what this team needs. Torain started out on our practice squad too and look where he is now. Hopefully this Small kid can eventually replace Roydell as our 5th receiver this season.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"I'd like to hang out with Brandon Banks."

iH8dallas: Dude, you just snapped a picture of me gettin' on with nasty skripper and uploaded it to youtube.

Don't you know I got a wife who'll put me out like last night garbage when she sees this?

I'm gonna beat your little kick returnin' azz!!!

Brandon Banks: Hey, don't blame me.

I was doing what I had to do to make her team.

Next time, you'll be more professional in how you play your game.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

No punt, I didn't dig that post up I just read it and it was f'ed.

"I thought it was over for me"

[if only there was a team that pulled guys off the street]

Brrrr ring brrrr ing

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Really? This is exactly what we need?

Because I was under the impression that we had already spent a draft pick on Ray Small, except his name is Terence Austin.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Think T-Austin would be playing and this guy would be a back up... IMHO

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 13, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

hard to believe this kid is an upgrade over Devin Thomas -- but the Shanny works in mysterious ways. And yes, Shanny is still not concerned with getting model citizens.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

DT it's a numbers game. We need to add a running back. So, we need to cut our 2nd most talented receiver and starting KR. Psych, we added a WR. But, he's smaller and less talented than DT, so we're good.

Freeing up cap space for the most ridiculous contract ever. Your welcome Chunky(R) Brunell!

From, Shan-a-Cool

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

He's probably not a "big-play guy who can do everything." And that would be refreshing at this point.

Posted by: DannyH8r | October 13, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, anyone else following that amazing story in Chile? As some of you know, I'm a big fan of the country and its people. Really remarkable human stories coupled with the **so far** perfect execution of this rescue operation.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 6:04 PM

Those guys would have been out three weeks ago if we'd sent the Rescue Aircraft Carrier, Zeke.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Wish we were playing Archie Manning this weekend!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

How can u not follow the Chilean story it pre-empted all other news, like what's Lohan up to? For once, no one knows

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

So Shawne Merriman is going to be released by the Chargers...

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

skinswillwin

"Think T-Austin would be playing and this guy would be a back up..."

Agreed.

I'd say watch RWilliams for the next 2 games.

If his production--such as it is--does not change, you'd be hard pressed to argue he has value over a drafted receiver with youth and speed on his side.

TAustin will be moved up to the Varsity from the JV squad right after RWilliams is released (I'd say after the lions' game).

Book it!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

U need to see 2 more games of roydell Williams. I needed to see zero games of roydell Williams, we cut him last year

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 6:04 PM

Posted by: beep-beep

Woulda made a difference in the earthquake. In the Atacama, half a mile down -- sure, why not

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DannyH8r | October 13, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

You know what DT meant by that.

He's a "big-play receiver who can do everything...like act and model..."

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Media stories that really no one cares about:

a. the Tampa Rays get kicked out of the MLB playoffs

b. chilean miners are delivered from underground after months of waiting

c. the Miami Heat (Wade-LeBron-Bosh) are revved up and ready to go

d. the Democratic Party is in hiding

e. the leaves are changing colors every where but in Florida, Hawaii, and Alaska where there are none

f. all of the above

Moe rolls with 'f' as with the skins ascending and the pukes descending, happiness is found scanning sports media where the people who predicted the cowboys would walk to the Super Bowl are hiding deep underground.

And hopefully, no one will come to rescue them.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"...I haven't really been able to see the past 2 games.."

signed,

recently freed chilean miner

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 3:31 PM |

Jesus. If ever there was a more clueless RI blogger than this guy I have yet to come across him. Those miners were in a life-and-death situation and suffered for two months and you have the boneheadedness to somehow connect that to a Skins game? BTW how many points are you predicting the Skins will lose by this week you d-bag?

MistaMoe = MistaMoeRon

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 6:21 PM

Go look in the mirror, you useless troll.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Chargers just cut our old friend Ethan Albright...just good to know he's there if we need him...

pfunk, I'm with you on Merriman...I'd snap him up and see what he's got left in the tank. Not sure if he could help this year, but I wonder if we could stash him on IR and give him a chance to compete for the OLB spot opposite Orakpo next year...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 13, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Go look in the mirror, you useless troll.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 6:24 PM |

Hey, I just did and what I saw was:

1. Someone who doesn't make light of a mining accident where many lives could have been lost and there has been much suffering.

2. Someone who doesn't predict the Skins losing by 5 x the spread.

Why don't you and ass hat do the blog a favor and go post on Cow blog or Junts blog where your assery would be welcomed with open holes.

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

LMFAO, b b

Posted by: frediefritz | October 13, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Forget the academics..Remember the linebacker in that movie "The program"?

Posted by: skins91r | October 13, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Really? This is exactly what we need?

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

What I meant was in the wake of cutting a young, athletic receiver in favor of keeping older unproductive receivers on the roster, we need to start stockpiling young receivers. I like Austin too.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 13, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Yeah, must have been his perfect snaps that got 2 punts blocked vs the Raiders last week -- one blocked by ... Rock Cartwright

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah think Austin will get some looks this weekend and williams will be benched...

COOK & BOOK that

Posted by: skinswillwin | October 13, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

On the subject of those Chilean miners....

You have to really admire the Oakley sun glass company marketing department for jumping on that one!! Wow!

I can see how that meeting went..."Are we gonna let 33 straight free ads slip through our fingers?? If the thing caves or the capsule fails that's on NASA and those engineers, not on our wonderful eyewear".

Posted by: skins91r | October 13, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I dont get it. Is this kid supposed to give us some insight on the Vikings for week 12?

Posted by: northvajim2 | October 13, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 6:21 PM

Go look in the mirror, you useless troll.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 6:24 PM

I second that emotion. Moe has a twisted sense of humor once in a while, but hey, that's Moe; Moe is our Uncle Fester her on RI.

Beat it, home-girl.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 13, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Beat it, home-girl.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 13, 2010 6:59 PM |

Hey, I'll leave that to you and all the other circle jerks on this blog, jagoff.

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Skins, let's go after Shawne Merriman and bring him here while he's down & out, just like D Hall. Orakpo and Merriman will be the new Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd, 2 grown men playing pin the tail on the donkey, except that donkey is Tony Romo or Eli Manning...

Posted by: bernard_thompson | October 13, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but Merriman looks to me like exhibit A for what being on the juice can do for a guy. A complete beast on them, nothing off them. Probably best top let someone else play the fool.

Also noticed Cle traded Jerome Harrison for Mike Bell. Harrison could have been valuable here. Torain has had injuries and Portis is close to the end of his shelf life.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 13, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Suspended multiple times for academic reasons? Howz he gonna learn the playbook?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 13, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

As a big Buckeye fan, I can say that Small was explosive when he could get himself on the field.

He just couldn't do that very often.

He spent years in Tressel's doghouse mainly for academic reasons, as the article mentions.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see how long he sticks around. He's small (haha) but very fast and has good vision.

Posted by: AhhYes | October 13, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

No thanks on Merriman. Dudes body is ate up from the steroid use. Plus I believe you have to pick up his contract.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

So Shawne Merriman is going to be released by the Chargers...

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

He hasn't done a damn thing since he got busted for being on the juice.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 13, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

crimescene

"Those miners were in a life-and-death situation and suffered for two months and you have the boneheadedness to somehow connect that to a Skins game?"

miner 1: I gotta joke.

What do when you're in a hole?

miner 2: I dunno.

miner 1: You stop digging.

miner 2: That's kinda rude considering our circumstances.

miner 1: Actually, what's rude is the inability to make light of a serious situation in order to put it in its proper place.

And speaking of light, like this post, we ain't much of that either.

Hand me that candle, willya?

miner 2: You got a twisted sense of humor, you know that?

miner 1: Not really.

But I will say this is one time I'm in a dark wet hole and I'm not happy being here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 7:50 PM

Damn, Moe, no hope for you. You offended CrimeScene's sensibilities. Then instead of giving him a heart-felt apology, you had to go and write this. He's gonna be hurt again, I just know it, and he'll keep making a tool of himself.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Turn out lights: Merriman's done with Chargers

CBSSports.com wire reports
Oct. 13, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers have turned out the lights on the player known as "Lights Out."

Outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, once one of the most-feared players in the NFL, was placed on the injured reserve list with a calf injury and a "minor-injury designation" on Wednesday. Merriman must be released when he becomes healthy, the team said.

Technically, the Chargers could re-sign the controversial player. That almost certainly won't happen, though, because general manager A.J. Smith hasn't been a fan of Merriman's celebrity-leaning lifestyle.

Known as "Lights Out" because of his once-ferocious hits, Merriman had 39 1/2 sacks in his first three seasons. He's had only four since then due to a variety of injuries.

He was suspended for four games in 2006 after testing positive for steroids. Even missing the four games, he had 17 sacks that year.

He also brought unwanted attention off the field, including an arrest just before the 2009 season after reality television star Tila Tequila accused him of battery and false imprisonment at his suburban San Diego home. No charges were filed, and Merriman and Tequila settled dueling lawsuits.

Merriman missed most of the 2008 season after undergoing reconstructive knee surgery. He had four sacks last year as he tried to regain his hard-hitting form. After sitting out most offseason workouts and part of training camp to protest his contract status, he was slowed by an Achilles' injury and then a calf injury.

He had only five tackles and no sacks in limited action this year.

Merriman declined to comment when contacted via e-mail. Smith didn't return a call seeking comment.
Copyright 2010 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 13, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

The San Diego Chargers' long snappers should be getting hazard pay.

The team has signed long snapper Mike Windt and released Ethan Albright.

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | October 13, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Great replacement for DT... A guy with academic issues misses several games...hopefully he can figure x's and o's and arrows

Posted by: job22 | October 13, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Haven't been keeping up, but watching replay and…ORAKPO IN OT!!!! sorry, emotional.

Anybody notice that Shanny did NOT ice the kicker when he bonked it? It goes both ways sometimes.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | October 13, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Funny.... someone brought up Marko Mitchell, I will say one thing about Marko, The man was Money on a fade route in the END ZONE. and where do we suck, in the RED ZONE, Don't figure. I think we need a RED Zone Specialist!

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 13, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 13, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Thought I saying only one thing , must be fate ....

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 13, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

The Vikings also claimed, then released Marco Mitchell. At least Mitchell was tall and had some knowledge of the organization.

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 13, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

This is a pretty interesting article by Indy fans trying to figure out why so many Colts players get hurt...

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Marko has been cut by FOUR teams in the last year. He was most recently cut by the Edmonton Eskimos. Not in the league

Marcus Mason has been cut by 5 teams in the last 2 years (2x by us). Not in the league.

Colt Brennan was cut by the Raiders on Sept 4th. Not in the league

Jason Campbell traded for a 2012 4th. Benched after 6 QTRs.

So many love to kid, but the reason it's funny to bring up Leigh Torrence, MM (both), CB, & JC is because SO many of the same people are now crying and whining about DT.

Devin Thomas now #80 for the Panthers, but 1st in so many of your hearts will be out of the league in 2 years.

To quote the late but great Jose Lima……Believe It!

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | October 13, 2010 8:58 PM |

If they think it's been bad up until this point just wait for Sunday night when the wrecking crew shows up.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

‎33 miners rescued in Chile -- "33" inscribed on the back of a Rolling Rock bottle. Coincidence? I think not..

Well to be honest Rolling Rock tastes like cat piss but it's pretty, pretty AWESOME that 33 miners were rescued.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Re: Merriman

In all fairness to the ex-Terp, after he served his 4 game suspension, he came back that season and still had 17 sacks, then 12.5 the year after. He was derailed by injuries. Also, he does not have a contract, he is on a one-year RFA tender.

At 26 years old, I definitely say we bring him in to "kick the tires".

DC is "home". We could use some skilled/veteran 3-4 guys. And he's gonna play like he has alot to prove - which he does. Incentivize the contract and see how it plays out.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Of course you bring in Merriman. At 26 he has a lot to prove and would finish this year on the CHEAP. Let him earn his next contract here and if he regains anywhere near his all-pro form..You make a decision in the offseason to let him walk or give him an incentive laiden deal.

The way AJ Smith has handled Marcus McNeil, V JAck, & Merriman will cost him his job sooner than later.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

How many qts was Chunky(R) Brunell benched for last year?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

At 26 years old, I definitely say we bring him in to "kick the tires".

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:11 PM |

Well, that's still a contract...and a$3 mil+ one at that. Having said that I'm guessing it's prorated to the games he would have left to play. A team is still on the hook for that amount for this year. Given his propensity for injuries and the fact that he would be learning a new defense half way through the season I would still be hesitant although if the coaches think he could contribute then what the hell do I know.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

We need another IR/castaway/UFA, because Brown, Lichtensteiger, Williams, R, Galloway, Simpson, Carriker, Holliday, Kemoeatu, Armstrong, Torain, Williams, K, Banks, Bidwell are just not enough

Merriman would make 14, super bowl dynasty

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

pabrain-

Mark Brunell is FORTY (40), it's amazing he's still in the league. He's a backup for Drew Brees.

JC is 28 and was benched for Bruce Gradkowski the "Polish Cannon".

WTF is your deal? Root for the uniform and not a few marginal players.

Are you a Redskin fan or a GROUPIE?

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:11 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

It's not a long-term contract, so why not take an inside track on a former Defensive MVP who is still only 26 years old?

What's the downside? It doesn't work out, we eat a couple million in a cap-free year and got ourselves an up-close and personal look at a Pro Bowler auditioning for a 3-4 defense that still needs personnel.

The upside? Orakpo and Merriman together in a 3-4 that would rival Harrison/Woodley as the baddest OLB tandem on the face of the planet.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

A Heart Felt Apology

Being imperfect in every way makes it easy to be humble.

And so, with that being said, I apologize to anyone offended by any commentary tendered to mock the seriousness of the situation in Chile where 33 brave miners have been so expertly rescued.

And at the same time, I do have only one observation to make before I settle down to read another chapter of Jerry Sachs', The End of Poverty:

Earlier today, someone posted a completely rancid and racist comment.

I started to challenge it, but I, more than anyone in the this forum, treasure the notion that free speech even when it hurts is better than any form of censorship.

So I with held the snippy words I wanted to share, and decided that the community of bloggers would police folks who cross the line.

Apparently, I did.

All is fair game, and if I'm wrong, I'm man enough to admit it.

And I will admit that there are limits, especially when life and death issues are at hand.

And so, again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

HTTR

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 13, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Merriman would make 14, super bowl dynasty

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

No pabrian.

What we need is to bring back Jason Campbell and keep handing the ball off to Clinton Portis.

That's a super Bowl dynasty, eh?

P.S. - Everyone on this blog hates you. Why do you keep coming here?

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

pabrain-

JC is 28 and was benched for Bruce Gradkowski the "Polish Cannon".

WTF is your deal? Root for the uniform and not a few marginal players.

Are you a Redskin fan or a GROUPIE?

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Brunell is Sanchez's back-up

Chunky(R) Brunell = New Soup

I don't think a pro team should be built with castaway's and last year's IR list.

Why is it OK to hate Portis and Haynesworth and Rogers and McIntosh, they're Redskins too?

All we did is win the off season again, Zorn started 6-2, I'll get on the bandwagon when I'm ready, like when we win in December perhaps

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

pFunk1,
cause I hate most of you hater know it alls on this blog, so I won't go away........ever

smiles

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Moe-

You've posted enough to where most know you as someone who's not mean spirited and an overall good guy.

NPI- has posted enough to be known as a racist, misogynist, d0uchebag, loudmouth. And a terrible Jim Rome wannabe clone. Even Jim Rome finds NPI's act to be tired.

pabrain- has posted enough that even I broke my own rule and responded to him. How this guy functions on a day to day basis should be a realty show.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:47 PM

A realty show? Maybe you'd buy a house from the guy, but not me.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Moe-

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

cosign, cosign
cosine

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Burgandy & Gold Jersey - Shore

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

How many qts was Chunky(R) Brunell benched for last year?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 9:23 PM

You said last yr. Last yr Brunell was the backup for Brees and won a SB with the Saints.

I don't hate any current player...

AH is our best DL. He's a POS of a human being and a terrible teammate. CR is our best overall CB but he can't catch.
RM is a solid player having a good year and according to Reid he has 672 tackles already this year.

I root for the uniform and by default, I root for every player wearing the BnG.

Once they leave the team, I stop rooting for them because for the 1000x...I root for the TEAM, not individual players.

MS inherited a 4-12 team and had 7 draft picks to improve, the worst FA pool in the history of the NFL, and a terrible roster.

It hasn't even been a year and he should be the early season NFL coach of the Year for this team being 3-2.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 6:21 PM

Fcukwad

Posted by: wireman65 | October 13, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Chunky(R) Brunell = New Soup = Donovan McNabb

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:59 PM

And when you buy a Redskins jersey, does it have a guy's name and number on it? Riggins 44?

I have to buy my son a jersey. Which would you get? Orakpo or Landrey?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

ray smalls is not another terrence austin. he's a bigger version of brandon banks. blazing speed.

receivers usually don't contribute as rookies. having a bunch of young ones around this year is part of the rebuilding process. skins could not address all areas of need in one off-season.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 13, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope Zorn-a-han and his giant dentures prove me wrong, but I think this roster sux and New Soup won't sign an extension unless it's a record breaking contract.

and, Shan-a-Cool is trying to tell us that 92 can't start, but Lichtensteiger can, and DT can't run a bubble screen but Banks can (-5 yards).

And, we had LJ through week 2 and then he started sucking.

and, a top 10 4-3 became a bottom 10 3-4

and, Bidwell had no competition in camp

and Shanny's never had a good D, and he's not a good personnel guy

and once teams accumulate film on us we're done, a la the 6-2 Zornskins

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

I have to buy my son a jersey. Which would you get? Orakpo or Landrey?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Get him trent williams

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:59 PM

I have to buy my son a jersey. Which would you get? Orakpo or Landrey?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 10:06 PM

I do have Jerseys...

There are exceptions when guys win or like ST...

ST 21
Autographed 44, 81, 28

My son has a Landry jeresy that I bought for him 3 yrs ago, 98 was playing DE at Texas.. Why 30? Because he was a stud at LSU and his rookie year. You can blame GB for the last 2 years, it would be like playing a WR at TE.

Honest answer to a snarky question..

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I root for the TEAM, not individual players.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 9:59 PM

Most guys who root for the TEAM have screen names like Burgundy'n'Gold, HTTR, PaSkinsFan, etc.

Guys with screen names like Monk811 or Diesel44 seem to be rooting for an individual player.

Guys with screen names like beep-beep are just way cooler than the others.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Honest answer to a snarky question..

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 10:16 PM

No, that was a sincere question. It just sounded snarky. I'm having a hard time deciding between Orakpo and Landry. Easy to eliminate the rest of them.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44
yeah seriously. The good posters on here should just ignore the slobbering morons who post because no one else will talk to them outside of a blog. Pabrian is probably a career janitor who is out on parole and should be avoided because, in addition to being a angry curmudgeon, he doesn't know very much about football. Ignore them or make fun of them and they will go away.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 13, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Zatiochi

sort of...banks gets up to light speed in a blink of an eye and Small seems to have a hell of a top speed but doesn't accelerate as fast. We will see though...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 13, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by Zatiochi

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 13, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I still don't get it.

We have a Terence Austin and we have a Brandon Banks...

...soooooo...the point of having Ray Small is???

P.S. - pabrian, you are easily the sorriest sack of crap that has ever posted a comment on this blog. You are to be pitied.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:41 PM

Is having a snowball fight with Randy Johnson a bad Idea?

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Beep-beep are you the road runner?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 13, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

I have to buy my son a jersey. Which would you get? Orakpo or Landrey?

Buy LO-A's instead. That pass breakup was a classic, and he an eligible OT, d-lineman and now OLB. Whew, maybe we should try him at tight end for awhile. Everywhere he plays, he excels. MY MAN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CrimeScene | October 13, 2010 7:19 PM

Yo mama.

Posted by: smokeybear2 | October 13, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

When we bring in Shawne Merriman to play OLB opposite Orakpo, next season Zo will move inside and take Rocky Mac's old spot next to Fletch.

It will be beautiful.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 13, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

It will be beautiful.

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

This guy's replacing our leading tackler with a washed up castaway steroid junkie, what a hater

cosign myself

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

You forgot special teams stand out and leader (of the lead-by-example school of leadership). I am really hoping that Lo's success is iconic of our season this year.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | October 13, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:41 PM

I've always wondered why people like peabrain continue to seek out the company of groups who openly disrespect them and heap abuse on them.

Is it just to annoy? Like some perverse, passive-aggressive form of power?

Are they so deluded and arrogant as to think that somehow they will win the groups' respect back through perseverance? Or worse, do they think the group secretly does like them and is just kidding when they constantly humiliate them?

Do they crave attention so badly that the continuous insults and disrespect they receive are a better alternative than the loneliness it replaces?

Are they so dense that they simply cannot take a hint?

Have they resolved themselves to the sad reality that hiding behind their keyboard and annoying others is the only way they will ever come even remotely close to having any form of power and control?

Or are they just too proud and stupid to simply go away?

It's like the fat, ugly, obnoxious kid on the playground in grade school who desperately wants to hang out with the regular guys, but knows they will never accept him, so instead he hangs on the perimeter and flicks boogers at them so they will beat him up - because at least that way, they are spending time with him.

Posted by: edvar | October 13, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Easy to root for guys like Lo-A & AA.

If players were paid on teamwork, hard work, & perseverance...AH would be bankrupt and guys like LA & AA would be splitting 21 mil.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

edvar- not sure what you do for a dollar...Me thinks you should have been a psychiatrist. I actually have a lot of contact with psychiatrists professionally, not personally, and I'd bet a tier 3 copay you nailed it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:34 PM

Good point.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007

Except they don't have a One Man Gang jersey. I sent a couple of emails to the team to try and remedy that situation. Not sure they'll get to the right people though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

or maybe these people have a legitimate perspective and because it isn't the same as all the sheepy kool aid drinkers, that person gets hated for it.

Example, last couple's years it was "ok" to be hyper-critical of Campbell, ARE, Portis, Rogers.

but god forbid not blindly supporting Shanny and mcSoup, then your public enemy #1

notha example, people want Merriman, vincent Jackson, and everyone else, but that isn't how you build a team (opinion).

we traded away 2 picks for New Soup, traded JC for nada, cut DT, created needs by switching to 3-4

shanny's an insincere liar who has a set of rules for guys he likes and a different set for guys he doesn't like, and a bunch a sheep up here drink it up.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 13, 2010 11:42 PM

Still you persist.

Posted by: edvar | October 13, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I still don't get it.

We have a Terence Austin and we have a Brandon Banks...

...soooooo...the point of having Ray Small is???

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

the point is, add speed to the roster (something you can't teach), teach the youngsters how to be professional (something that dt has yet to learn), give them a year's experience with the system, and see what they bring to the table next year when they don't have to think while applying that god given ability (speed kills). if these guys don't work out, hit reset next offseason. i think that's the point.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 13, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 10:41 PM

Is having a snowball fight with Randy Johnson a bad Idea?

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 13, 2010 10:49 PM |

now that's funny... and appropriate.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 13, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:34 PM

Good point.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 13, 2010 11:32 PM

maybe. methinks merriman is not the same player after all the injuries, or san diego wouldn't be so inclined to give him up so easily...

would take the risk at the right price... or with the right performance incentives.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 14, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

A new nickname for Lo-A..."The Ax".

Posted by: HokiesSkins | October 14, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:01 AM

Relax- We had a space on the practice squad and he was added. He had problem(s) at OSU but he has a lot of talent and he's not taking a roster spot.

Shanny likes taking chances on guys with talent and there is ZERO risk.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Seems like Small has a big time maturity issue.

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:01 AM

thanks for the first class research. share your character concerns about small. not sure if it will work out, but he's blessed with speed and vision.

time will tell, not getting my hopes up about him.

tell his daddy to shut up.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 14, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Oh I get it. Kicking the tires. Just ironic to me that they would pick DT lite to fill that spot.

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:21 AM

Not the same. DT not eligible for the PS and we needed his 53rd man spot.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 14, 2010 12:21 AM

Not the same. DT not eligible for the PS and we needed his 53rd man spot.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 14, 2010 12:46 AM

and dt proved he's not ready to put in work. time to give someone else a shot.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | October 14, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 13, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

OMG that is the funniest caca I have read up here in... ever.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 14, 2010 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 13, 2010 9:11 PM

100% agree. We did the same thing with DHall, and to date we haven't been sorry.

The only drawback I see is that early in his career, LaVar was his mentor. Not good...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 5:29 AM | Report abuse

Smurfs II
At least they recognise the need. I don't mind small recievers as long as they get open and can catch. The welcome sign is still out.

Posted by: fat_back | October 14, 2010 5:33 AM | Report abuse

Who cares, if SM56 can make this team better bring him in.

Posted by: fat_back | October 14, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Right fat_back...after watching DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal stand out with other teams when we took DT and MK in the name of size, I couldn't care less about how big a WR is so long as he can play...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

From Peter Schrager on foxsports.com:

Indianapolis at Washington: Colts fifth-year safety Antoine Bethea, my preseason pick for NFL Defensive Player of the Year, made the game-changing play in Indy’s win over Kansas City on Sunday, jarring a ball lose from Jamaal Charles in the second half. But LaRon Landry — not Bethea and not Troy Polamalu — has been the NFL’s best safety this season. Landry, moved back to the strong safety after years playing out of position, leads the NFL in tackles and caused a fumble, intercepted Aaron Rodgers in overtime and made a game-high 13 tackles in last weekend’s win over Green Bay. Forget McNabb and Manning. Bethea and Landry is the better duel. The Pick: Colts 23, Redskins 20

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

More Landry love on ESPN.com:

LaRon Landry, Washington Redskins strong safety: He may be the most improved defensive player in the league. Playing close to the line of scrimmage in a 3-4 defense has transformed his game so far this season. He's making big plays -- forced fumble and key INT against the Packers -- on a weekly basis. If Landry continues to play like this, he should be in the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 14, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Also, how long will it take before Steve Smith punches him in the face?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse
------------

I think the over/under on that is set at 3 1/2 weeks. I suggest taking the under. Guys are scrapping hard for that illustrious Bojangles endorsement deal.

Posted by: walkdwalk | October 14, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

how stupid can mike shanahan be? is this an attempt to retool "the smurfs? why can't fred davis get on the field? scroo shanahan and the bus he came in on.

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 14, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Small will make Austin better. Remember Shanahan loves competition.

Posted by: kenobill2 | October 14, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Can we petition Shanny to at least take another look at Marko Mitchell??? There's a 6'4" guy who runs a 4.4-4.5 40 out there and we're not jumping on the opportunity to take him? Something's not right.

Posted by: mdeep75 | October 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdeep75 | October 14, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I doubt it, former top 10 pick James Hardy was available. He goes about 6'4" 220 or so and was a burner back in Indiana. He had some injuries and problems cracking the lineup in Buffalo, but c'mon 5-10 180 is really 5-8 165-170. Maybe Shanny just likes small recievers, so much that he brought in a wr named SMALL to accentuate his point.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 14, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

James Hardy is available too!!?! Bring him and Mitchell in! If Shanny likes competition, wouldn't it make sense to have these two big dudes fight for a spot on the team? If one of them just happens to be slightly better than Austin or Galloway or any other no name receiver we have, it would be a steal.

Posted by: mdeep75 | October 14, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

JR....Next time you have Shanny's attention while you're at the Park, ask him why he doesn't bring in a young big receiver like James Hardy or Marko who just needs a chance to prove himself.

Posted by: mdeep75 | October 14, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

here is the problem as much as i liked mitchell if shanny brought back and gave him a second chance he woud be admitting he made a mistake and he's not gonna do that reason being that would be a bruise to his ego simple as that he's waiting to see what malcolm Kelly has which is why he has not picked up a big receiver or traded for one as for kelly i understand that he had a second degree tear to his hamstring which is gonna take some time to heal and get strong again so once that happens Kelly better make sure he's cut and every part of his body is strong so that he can avoid injurires and come training camp 2011 he better be injury free otherwise Bruce Allen is gonna be looking at different direction as far as big target for his quarterback and this is his last chance for kelly to prove himself and unless he proves himself and does some serious damage there is no way he's getting extension period simple as that and i have a feeling that the big receiver is gonna come from the draft.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | October 14, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

The title should be. "Skins Add Another Small Receiver"

Posted by: MadeRED | October 14, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse