Posted at 7:00 AM ET, 01/26/2011

Roster analysis: Wide receivers

By J.I. Halsell
J.I. Halsell

In gross passing yards, the Redskins offense finished the 2010 season ranked 7th, with 4,261 yards through the air. When one looks at the six clubs that finished ahead of Washington (Chargers, Colts, Saints, Texans, Packers, Broncos), only the starting duos in Denver (Lloyd and Gaffney, 2,323 yards) and Indianapolis (Wayne and Garcon, 2,139 yards) had more receiving yards than the Redskins starting duo of Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong. They combined for 1,986 yards.

With the exception of the Chargers, who had Vincent Jackson's services for only five games this year and who also have a prolific pass catching tight end in Antonio Gates, the Redskins are the only club ranked in the top seven who did not have at least three wide receivers with at least 500 yards receiving. The Super Bowl-bound Packers, have four wide receivers with at least 500 yards receiving.

The fact that the Redskins were able to become one of the top passing teams in the NFL in 2010 despite a lack of depth at the wide receiver position sheds light on the importance of tight end Chris Cooley to the Redskins' offense. But it also furthers the argument that the Redskins must add one more playmaker at the wide receiver position.

Santana Moss had a career-high 93 receptions in 2010, and his 1,115 receiving yards were the second-most of his career. However, his 12 yards per reception were a career low. The soon-to-be 32 year old will be a free agent this offseason, but is coming off of a third consecutive season in which he's been able to play 16-games, so Moss would seem to have some gas left in the tank.

The market value for Moss at this stage of his career is similar to that of Derrick Mason of the Ravens and Donald Driver of the Packers. Using those market comparables, Moss is likely to be in line for a deal near $5 million per year, with a portion of that compensation coming in the form of per game roster bonuses to reward him for staying healthy at this stage of his career.

In this year's crop of free agent wide receivers, potential Hall of Famers Terrell Owens and Randy Moss will be on the market, but the following ascending players also will be available:

- Cardinals Steve Breaston (27)
- Packers James Jones (26)
- Texans Jacoby Jones (26)
- Jaguars Mike Sims-Walker (26)
- Vikings Sidney Rice (24)
- Giants Steve Smith (25)
- Jets Braylon Edwards (27)
- Jets Santonio Holmes (26)
- Chargers Malcom Floyd (29)
- Chargers Vincent Jackson (28)
- Rams Mark Clayton (28)

The Redskins have lacked explosive playmakers. In the list above, a couple of players who stand out statistically are Sims-Walker, Floyd, and Jackson. Of wide receivers who were targeted at least 50 times in 2010, Sims-Walker and Floyd tied for fifth with the Steelers' Mike Wallace averaging a touchdown every six receptions.

Meanwhile, in the five games that Jackson played, he averaged a touchdown for every 4.6 receptions. Jackson is going to be looking for an elite wide receiver contract, where the current going rate is in excess of $10 million per year.

The Vikings' Sidney Rice stands poised to make a lot of money over the course of his career. As a 24-year old free agent, Rice will most likely sign a lucrative deal this offseason that will expire by the time he's 29, which would then set him up for another lucrative contract before the age of 30, a la Larry Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald enters the final year of his contract with the Cardinals and could be available via trade; other players who could be available via trade as they enter the final years of their contracts are Chad Ochocinco and Reggie Wayne. In the case of Fitzgerald and Wayne, any club that trades for these players is not only going to have to give up draft picks to acquire their services, but also pay the player an elite wide receiver contract similar to the type Jackson is likely to receive.

By J.I. Halsell  | January 26, 2011; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins looking at Senior Bowl offensive linemen
Next: Tailgate Zone: Should the Redskins draft Jake Locker?

Comments

I am betting that not a lot of that came on third downs. I seem to remember a hell of a lot of three and outs this year. May be it really was a bad dream. It certainly felt like a nightmare at times.

Isn't this one of the stats, like a defense with a high ranking against the pass, that can be a marker of a bad team. That is one that is always playing from behind or doesn't have a running game, so they have to throw more on offense, whilst the opposition runs more to wind down the clock.

Posted by: WeNeedLinemen | January 26, 2011 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I would guess little Shanny would like to go after Jacoby Jones.

Posted by: wireman65 | January 26, 2011 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Is Locker the answer?

TAILGATE ZONE | The Redskins need a quarterback, and Washington's Jake Locker has the speed, arm strength and highlight reel. But will he make it in the NFL?

Is it me or are these "TAILGATE ZONE" discussions getting lifted from what a lot of us post in this forum?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 7:49 AM | Report abuse

We sure did have a lot of three and outs and had a long strectch where we didn't convert a lot of third downs. Being seventh in passing yards does seem to be a deceptive stat.

Posted by: wireman65 | January 26, 2011 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Its weird that we had a top ten passing game... how was our rushing attack? Oh, 30, well then, that explains it.

Draft a RB!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler's attitude and "I always look like I smell a fart" countenance coupled with Redskins' fans general angst and growing impatience and emo weenies like Mike Wise in the DC media and you have a VERY toxic situation. Not good for fans, not good for Shanahan and the Reedskins, not good for Cutler.

I don't know how it works in Chicagoland (Can you believe that people who live there really refer to the area as Chicagoland? They do.) but it seems to. Read this funny little piece about Cutler and ask yourself how it would go over in the peculiar little pressure cooker known as Redskins Park.

Jay Cutler can never be a Redskin.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 26, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

M Kelly, M Kelly, M Kelly!!! Ha! We need another receiver or two.

Posted by: MaxnDC | January 26, 2011 8:04 AM | Report abuse

These guys are not Lay's Potato Chips--you can only pick one.

And you're picking one after re-upping S Moss.

Thing is, which one do you pick?

Let's narrow the list down:

- Packers James Jones (26)
- Texans Jacoby Jones (26)
- Jaguars Mike Sims-Walker (26)
- Vikings Sidney Rice (24)
- Giants Steve Smith (25)
- Jets Braylon Edwards (27)
- Jets Santonio Holmes (26)
- Chargers Malcom Floyd (29)
- Chargers Vincent Jackson (28)

Not much trimmed off as there are so many advantages to taking any of them.

Steve Smith: take him from an in division rival

Holmes/Edwards: the cheap jets will pick Holmes and Edwards isn't worth having

Jones/Jones: The Texan knows the offense, the packer you want is D Driver

Rice: will get big money from the vikes

Sims-Walker: the jags can't afford him or to lose him (so they F-tag him?)

Floyd/Jackson: the chargers will keep the one they can afford--Floyd

That means maybe Jackson, Jones, Smith should be redskins.

Which is why I'd sign Jones/Smith as you'd get two receivers for the price of one Jackson.

That's Moss, Jones, Smith, Armstrong, Cooley next Fall--I like.

So, like the potato, maybe you can't just stop at one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd get VJ and Jacoby Jones...James Jones would be a nice consolation prize if the price tag on VJ gets too high.

Although, JJ had a pretty bad case of the dropsies in the playoffs...definitely tempered my enthusiasm for going after him in FA...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 8:23 AM | Report abuse

alex

It's weird that we had a top ten passing game...

Not really.

Before he was benched, Donovan McNabb was headed for a 4,000 passing season.

And that's impressive.

But wasn't impressive about his play was he couldn't make the kind of 'gutsy' throws/runs you expected from an 'elite' quarterback you just up two picks for.

Too, the redskin offense under his leadership seemed to go into a shell for long stretches of games.

I think the point of the stats is that our offense can be even more productive with better quarterback play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 8:25 AM | Report abuse

With the stats we put up in the passing game you would think our 3 pro-bowlers would be on offence, yet all three are defenders... LFB, KpO and DH get in, TheRon would have if he stayed healthy. Its odd.

Cooley gets gypped on pro bowls, No 2 TE in receptions. 3 in yards. He should be there.

NFL needs to look at the overall number of players at each position that make the pro bowl.

I see that Campbell and Al Saunders will be hooking back up in Oakland. Someone pass the brownies.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Moss is our #1 but really should be our slot receiver. Armstrong is our #2 but really should be our #3 receiver. So we need a clear cut #1 receiver and a guy to compete with Armstrong for #3. On that list, I only see 3 being better than Moss and take over the #1 receiver spot:
Sidney Rice
Santonio Holmes
Vincent Jackson

Of these 3, I'd rather have Holmes, but Rice is the one I really see us getting. He has size and speed, something Shanny will nut all over.

My next pick would be either James or Jacoby Jones to compete with Armstrong. With this much talent we can choose from, this probably means we won't draft a WR. Malcolm Kelly is coming back (whoopty do!) and we have Austin and Banks that can compete for playing time also.

SAVE THE DRAFT PICKS FOR THE O AND DLINES!
SAVE THE BEAVERS, AND THE ANIMALS TOO!!!

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 8:28 AM | Report abuse

offense* Spell check didn't work on my last post...

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

I think it's a given they will add Jones.

But if you took the money VJ wants and split it between Jones and another receiver (Smith/Sims-Walker/Breaston, say), you get two for one.

Trust me, I like VJax like the next skins' fan.

But if we could take Steve Smith from the jints, that's an added plus, too, in my book.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who doesn't buy into the gint's WR corps? I feel like most of it is just a comfort level with Eli, who though clearly the lesser Manning, has that same talent his brother has to get the best out of any WR, I don't buy that a WR in NY will be the same elsewhere.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

monk, isn't Holmes 1 strike away from a year out of the league?? No thanks on that...

moe brings up a good point, while VJ makes the most sense, has the most upside of the group, if you can get 2 at his price, maybe that makes more sense...VJ is a game changer however, that cat can ball...

cue up diesel pissing and whining about the above post in 5...4...3..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Jacoby Jones is a head case. Million dollar talent with a five cent head. No more Brandon Loyds please.

I'd think about Breaston. He's been on my fantasy team 3 years running and put up good numbers, even when Boldin was there. Had injury issues this season, but did n't before that from what I remember

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 26, 2011 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I love Cooley, but Captain Chaos dropped A LOT of balls this year. Plus, Witten is considered a better TE, and A Gonzolez is really popular, so until he retires Cooley will keep getting snubbed.

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I hear ya, Moe...but that was the same line of thinking with the McNabb deal. I know we're not giving up picks for "The Other" Steve Smith, but considering he's got a 100-catch season on his resume, he'll want more money than you'd think.

As a guy who's had Sims-Walker on his fantasy team the last 2 years, I can tell you that dude disappears in way too many games to warrant a big contract or a #1 spot on the depth chart.

Breaston is intriguing, but he's going on 28 and reminds me too much of ARE.

As I said, I'm all for Jacoby Jones but he's more of a depth guy than a remedy for the #1 spot.

Top-flight WRs are hard to come by, so if we can get VJ I'd say we do it. For what we need, I'd rather gamble on him than any of the other guys on that list.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Cooley gets gypped on pro bowls

It's the price he pays for being on a 6-10 team--lack of recognition as one of the better players in the league at his position.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but wasn't Dexter Manley 1 strike away like MOST of his career? Not to put Holmes in that category, but he does make some bigtime catches. I'd take that chance on him, it's a risk/reward situation.

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Jay Cutler can never be a Redskin.

Posted by: MColeman51 | January 26, 2011 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I can't argue with that. I can't stand Cutler but to say that he's a wimp because he couldn't plant and throw on a sprained knee is just wrong.

Is he a wimp for crying on TV because of what people were saying? Maybe.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 26, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

cue up diesel pissing and whining about the above post in 5...4...3..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 8:37 AM

Are you sure he's got time to take up that cause when he's spending so much time grinding the axe against DHall?

For real though...I like the 2-for-1 idea too, just sayin' I don't think the guys Moe was honed in on will be as cheap as he thinks.

jmurray, how is Jacoby a head case? He's not here to play #1 WR...he's a depth guy with special teams value, and I'm sure his salary will reflect that. I'll wait for the part where that's a bad thing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps the best way to consider which receiver you might want to add, is to think of what you want.

Presently, the redskins lack a big down-the-field threat.

And out of the group listed above VJax, Sims-Walker, Rice, and Holmes qualify.

Maybe one of those guys already hears the whir of the Danny's heliocopter.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 8:51 AM | Report abuse

monk, agree to dis, on Holmes, thats too big a chance to take...I'm not sure this team can afford that much of a risk...

stephanie abrams of the weather channel is very easy on the eye's....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 8:47 AM

You're both spinnin' your wheels on this...no chance the Jets let him get away, and even if they did make that mistake SH is a clutch performer who thrives on teams gunning for championships. No way he'd waste his time here unless he was coming for the cash...and we're supposedly not in the business of overpaying FAs anymore, remember?

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 8:39 AM | Report abuse

I do realize that, but still, even with all the dropps Cooley was #2 in receptions... which is where a TEs job counts. Just a thought though, did anyone feel like most of Cooley's drops came after the concussion?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse

brown, good point, from what I've heard, the jets are gonna focus on the wideouts, and let Antonio"I Can Name All 9 Of My Kids" Cromartie, hit the bricks, they drafted a cb to replace him last draft...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

...just sayin' I don't think the guys Moe was honed in on will be as cheap as he thinks.

True.

But simple economics does work: the wide receiver market is flush with kids you can draft or young vets you can underpay.

Oversupply of raw material drives down its price in any market.

There are supposed to be something like 400 young FA's looking to get paid this Spring, and the sheer number means a lot of dudes won't get what they want.

The big names will get cash, the second tier guys will get stiffed.

So, say, Steve Smith thinks he's worth VJAX-RICE type serious money.

He'll find teams saying, "Hey, there are so many other guys who are just as good as you are, dude, your 1 big season notwithstanding."

"Here's your contract...deal with it!"

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hope you're right Moe...I'd love to see us get more with less for a change...

Greg, I heard the Jets were making David Harris a priority and bringing back only one of the two big WRs...gotta think that guy is gonna be Santonio instead of Braylon.

Not sure about Cromartie though...I hear Rex is a big fan of having him on the other side of 24...may come down to money in the end...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Vincent Jackson in the same boat?

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 26, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

oe, good point, forgot about the dui....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

He did have some big drops after the concussion, but I remember him dropping some balls in the very beginning of the year. I guess he has a lot on his mind, you know, with playing practical jokes on teammates, telling the team's secrets, and porking his hot wife, I'd be dropping passes too if I were him!

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Cutler is a quitter.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 26, 2011 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing Diez, is that I think this injured-knee stuff is detracting from the more important Jay Cutler issue which is that he totally sucked in that game.

Bears fans were saying that - Superbowls aside - this was the most important game in Bears' history b/c of Packer rivalry.

He went to the bench with a 31 passer rating.

Seriously, Rex Grossman outplayed him in the '06 Championship game.

Posted by: p1funk | January 26, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse

beantown

stephanie abrams of the weather channel is very easy on the eye's....

She's a Palm Beach County kid (Wellington) and is indeed nice to see.

Perhaps her image will melt away some of that snow y'all about to get buckets of.

Me?: I'm wearing a light sweater on a 77 degree day.

Imagine that......

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Receiver, The, anyone? Lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 26, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

7th in raw passing yards is not due to talent of the offense - but the fact that the Redskins had a bad defense, had no other choice, and then made a lot of passing plays when the game didn't matter anymore.

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | January 26, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Holmes will surely be a Jet. Rex Ryan has some mofo serious man love for that dude.

Im not into paying to much for any of these people. As far as this list is concerned I would be more interested in the top 4 names as opposed to the bottom names. Ive beeen all about getting VJ but he will be to expensive, has baggage, etc... I would have no qualms with a Breaston, Sims-walker, JJ pick up. Steve Smith might be the best pickup for the skins as it takes away a sure target for joke @ss eli.

Also i know we need a lot of things but this years WR draft might be the most stocked position wise. There could be some great pickups to be had from the draft, big tall possession receivers and some quality dynamic play makes. Think Jonathan Baldwins and Titus Youngs....

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Not to get too political, but the registered Republican in me is a little worried.

The more I listen to President Obama, he, and not John Boehner, makes sense.

(I mean, I know what the republicrats are against, but I don't get what they are for.)

(And a lot of the things they are against, I'm for.)

This is starting to upset me as Obama is on the comeback trail.

Perhaps I should find Mr. Boehner and go somewhere and share a few tears over my confusion.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Is Locker the answer?

============
I think Skins pass on an early round QB pick. Kyle successfully used the last 3 games, as underwhelming as they were, to convince Dad that Rex could be his next "Jake Plummer".
Skins focus on the OLine instead (we can only hope).

Posted by: onanygivensunday | January 26, 2011 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Breaston is injury prone and Sims-Walker flopped this year. We need a #1, and nobody from the top of the list can get it done. We need to stop by the Chinese store for some Rice!!!!

SAVE THE CRABS!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I would agree this is the case with Steve Smith. However, I don't think this is the case with Manningham and Hakeem Nicks. I think both of those guys are extremely physically talented and could be as good or even better on another team.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 26, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 9:24 AM

Of course he does...dude is a helluva FOOTball player. He's a STEP faster than just about anyone on the field, and if he saw that great TD catch in the SB where he got is TOES down right on the goal line...that's the stuff Rex dreams of.

Like, literally.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 9:31 AM | Report abuse

onanygivensunday

Skins focus on the OLine instead (we can only hope).

If you watch any of the Senior Bowl practices, what jumps out is that the offensive linemen are getting beat like bad children by the defenders.

The o-linemen, outside of a couple of guys, might not be what y'all think it is.

Yesterday, I watched as Rodney Hudson-G, FSU, got his lunch handed to him by some no name interior defensive lineman.

And Hudson is an All American.

Use FA to augment the o-line: draft defenders.

The defenders are what's happenin' in this draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

moe, nother foot supposed to fall tonight...oh well I guess...nothing you can do about the weather.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I hate to say it. And I'm not advocating it, necessarily - but what about either Chad or TO?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 26, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 9:34 AM |

We got a 1/2 inch last night in Montgomery County Maryland and those wimps closed school today. We should get a couple of inches tonight so looks like my kids wont go back to school until Monday.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 26, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 9:02 AM

Sometimes 1 game leaves a huge impression.

Just like DHall's 4 INT game against the Bears left a lasting impression for Pro-Bowl voters, I suspect Cooley's wide open drop in the end zone agains the Jags left a similarly lasting impression.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 26, 2011 9:42 AM | Report abuse

dik, no thanks to both, is that your inner Vinny Cerrato talking??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Holmes is like Reggie Wayne.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Use FA to augment the o-line: draft defenders.

The defenders are what's happenin' in this draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:34 AM
=========
agreed...
hopefully Bruce Allen got so burned by his Galloway debacle, that he'll stick to being the capologist and let MS run the full GM duties.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | January 26, 2011 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Use FA to augment the o-line: draft defenders.

The defenders are what's happenin' in this draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:34 AM

Great point Moe...last year was the time to load up on O-line help via the draft. Instead we got McNabb. That ship has sailed...let's just hope that Ryan Harris and/or Logan Mankins hit the market and decide to take their talents to Washington so we can focus on landing a top-flight LB and NT that can play right away in the draft.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Got a little Ricky Williams too ;)

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Given the dearth of available talent at WR right now, it's a consideration. At least T.O. would be dirt cheap and the "show" seems to have subsided.

..Again, I'm not advocating... just taking the temperature

Oh & Flounder - I'm in MoCo and we got 2" as of 6 AM. I'm sure that washed down as the dawn heated things up... But it was ugly early.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 26, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 26, 2011 9:37 AM

Chad (if he goes anywhere) is almost a certainty to go to Oakland because of his relationship with Hue Jackson. TO is heading to the glue factory...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 26, 2011 9:42 AM

foot and half on the ground now..expecting a foot tonight... more tomorrow... and my kids still have to go to school.. ahh just another snow bludgeoned day in New England.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | January 26, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

From that list -- and after they resign Moss who was the #10 WR statistically -- the Skins should pursue Edwards and Jackson. Rice would also be a good chioce, but he needs to show full recovery from the injuries that kept him out most of last year...

The Skins need WRs who are big, fast and can block down field. I like Moss at Flanker and Armstrong as the #3 speed guy at slot. They need to find a better split-end. Maybe Kelly is guy, but Edwards, Jackson, or Rice would be nice upgrades...

Posted by: siris | January 26, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

The defenders are what's happenin' in this draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 9:34 AM

I hear on on the early rounds. The value def seems to lie with the Defenders. Particularly Dline and OLB.
But you still have to look at that whole team during the draft. If we dont come out of this draft with an interior olineman I will be sorely disappointed. Even with my assumption that we will use FA to pick up interior guyS. But you still need to draft and develop or else the cycle begins anew.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Two Things I Will Never Understand About RI

1) DeAngelo Hall hate.

2) Vincent Jackson love

Can someone please let me know when exactly Vincent Jackson entered the "elite" realm for wide receivers?

Was it after that ONE year when he had a career-best 68 catches for not even 1180 yards and 9TDs?

If that's "elite" then we are already set with Santana Moss.

Vincent Jackson isn't even the "elite" receiver on his own team - Antonio Gates is.

Somehow, someway, this guy is going to get Larry Fitzgerald/Steve Smith/Brandon Marshall money. He's going to make more than Reggie Wayne.

Good grief, if I were a pro baller, I would do whatever I could to get VJax's agent.

Posted by: p1funk | January 26, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I would sign Braylon Edwards. We'd probably get him at a decent value and I think that he'd be a decent #1 here. I think between him and the ghost of MK12 we'd have some bigger bodies for the red zone and we'd have some decent third down options.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 26, 2011 9:56 AM | Report abuse

You can't really complain about anyone we draft this year.

An argument can be made for drafting any position, except tight end in the first round.

QB- we will need one
WR- been missing a big one for years
OL- no explanation needed
DL- definitely
LB- someone opposite Orakpo, yeah.
RB- probably won't happen, but Ingram would be nice
FS- man do I miss Sean Taylor
CB- I like our corners(both of them), but it could happen.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 26, 2011 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 26, 2011 8:27 AM

Oakland might of made one front office move too many. Saunders implements an Offense unsuited to JC's strengths.
Maybe Hue needs a bad cop to go with his good cop if he has to sit JC.

Posted by: onanygivensunday | January 26, 2011 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Out of that big list of people I would want Rice the most.

He's only 24, it seems he's been around a little longer than that, but ok.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 26, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Until we have 5 young and healthy studs on the O-line, with excellent back-ups, it just does not matter who the QB, Running Backs or Wide Receivers are, or how prolific they are. The goal is to make real progress as a recurring playoff team, not a "one and done" like we have been since the days of Gibbs 1. You cannot get out of the NFC East without excellent O-Line play.

Posted by: murrayh | January 26, 2011 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: murrayh | January 26, 2011 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Stats often don’t mean squat in the NFL. Look at Rothlisberger’s stats. They are not very impressive, but he has all the intangibles an NFL QB needs to be a winner.

Posted by: mattphillips | January 26, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

p1funk | January 26, 2011 9:56 AM

Your post is why maybe it's smarter to spent VJax money on two second-tier guys, rather than on him.

Moss-Jones-Jones?

Moss-Jones-Smith?

Moss-Breaston-Jones?

Moss-Clayton-Smith?

Moss-Jones-Clayton?

See what I mean: those guys won't command the dollas Holmes, Jackson, and Rice will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Plaxico Burress gets released this Spring and he'll be 33 and rested. I think you pick him up on the cheap to stretch the field.

Posted by: mrlowery1 | January 26, 2011 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattphillips | January 26, 2011 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Right.

Big Ben's winning probably has nothing to do with the fact that he plays on a team with a perenially top-ranked defense. But those stats don;t matter.

It's all intangibles.

Posted by: p1funk | January 26, 2011 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattphillips | January 26, 2011 10:06 AM

And it definitely helps to have a defense that keeps you in every single game.

The Steelers started of this season 3-1 with QBs named Dixon and Batch.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 26, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

holmes is a beast, i mean if you're looking for big plays in crucial moments

Posted by: retroskins14 | January 26, 2011 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Guys, I heard the Redskins are starting to really like the QB out of Nevada, Collin Kaepernick. They spoke with him yesterday for a good amount of time: http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4421

They have also spent a lot of time with a few Right Tackles and Guards. But the Lone WR they have talked to is they guy I was talking about yesterday, Titus Young: http://twitter.com/#!/nflcharlie/status/30259320050421761

If you guys haven't seen Kaepernick in the Senior Bowl practices, I can tell you, he has a boat load of potential. He has shined. If they fall in love with him, then most of you guys wishes could come true. We would probably trade further back and gain 2 picks, to have 3 in the 1st two rounds.

If we get that then we could go, Titus Young, Kaepernick, Guard. This Nose Tackle Phil Taylor is good, but could fall. They have also talked to him.

Posted by: roccoskins | January 26, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrlowery1 | January 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Personally I'm not very excited about the prospect of picking up and old, often injured guy who's stupid enough to shoot himself in the leg.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 26, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Moss is most certainly to be a permanent fixture in the slot. He gets gobbled up by defenders and double/triple teams when he lines up on the outside. He needs the slot to run slants and picks to get open. Armstrong will be on the outside using his speed. We will get either Rice/Jackson to be the physical/big play receiver that we've been lacking.

I think we did address Oline last year. Sure, we traded away our 2nd rd pick for McNabb, but who says we would have drafted Oline anyway? We got a starter in Williams, a key backup that will push for playing time this year in Cook, and I really believe another year on the bench and Capers will be ready to be the main backup at T next year. 3 guys that will contribute in 1 draft, what's wrong with that?

I do agree that we need to keep adding to the Oline, but the 1st rd pick needs to be defense. Maybe a G in the 2nd rd??? If we can get Mankins, then I would wait til the 5th rd to get a G that we can work on for a couple years. This should be an all defensive draft for us, except QB and G.

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 10:25 AM | Report abuse

scamp, co-sign, there's a reason they put things called, "safety's" on guns...for idiots like that guy...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the Jets got Edwards to grow up this year. He only dropped one pass (drops were always his weak point) and he's become probably the best downfield blocker of any WR in the NFL. He's like Art Monk with more speed. With both Edwards and Armstrong in the game, Moss and Cooley would be covered by a safety and a linebacker, or even two linebackers. Add some real downfield blocking and Moss would probably lead the league in YAC.

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | January 26, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse

You cannot get out of the NFC East without excellent O-Line play.

NFC East 'this,' NFC East 'that'.

Over the past 20 seasons, the East has won 6 Championships, but only 1 the past decade (Giants v. Pats).

Other than the Giants, the Eagles appeared in a Super Bowl they lost to the Pats.

The recent playoffs featured only 1 NFC East team, and the Eagles got beat by a Packers team that might be on the verge of dominating for a few years, given their talent and youth.

Question is, how can a division--the NFC East-- brag about it's toughness when it's not collecting rings and trophies?

The AFC East/North and NFC South are now the bellwether divisions in the NFL.

They all feature excellent passing teams and stellar defense.

And for the trend to swing back in our direction, I'd say we should begin by building a bullying defense and offense that scores.

Otherwise, talking loud and saying nothing means just that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 10:30 AM | Report abuse

brilliantly put moe...this ain't the 80's, the balance of power has long since shifted...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, who said VJ is "elite"? I haven't heard anyone say that...just that he's a big, playmaking target that would fit nicely with the Shanahan system. Nobody's calling him the next Andre Johnson or anything (although he certainly has the talent to be if he wanted to), so I'm not sure what you're missing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | January 26, 2011 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 10:30 AM

I'd offer only a partial co-sign on this...much like Brett Favre, the Ravens defense, and the NFC North's title as the "black and blue division", the NFC East seems to be living on reputation.

However, it's still a fair assessment that the team that plays better in the trenches tends to be the team that wins the division.

It's no coincidence that the two times we made the playoffs the last 5 years were based around a strong rushing attack and solid yet unspectacular D-line. The last time we won a division, Stephen Davis set a franchise record for rushing yardage.

While QB play and passing is the current trend in NFL offense, the principle of controlling the clock and playing sound defense is still the way to win a championship.

And as you know, principles never change...but trends do.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | January 26, 2011 10:22 AM

They could go the route if Locker is taken before #10. I like Colin. He has that elongated delivery but that can be worked on.

Posted by: TWISI | January 26, 2011 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Draft Julio Jones!! Santana and Anthony need a big physical receiver to draw a double team so they can get open. AJ Green will be gone but Julio is a physical freak! Take a chance on a QB in the 2nd round and draft another RB late to go with Ryan and Keiland. Then draft/sign as may rookie LBs, DLs, and OLs that you can. We may not be great next year but at least go in the right direction!

Posted by: Mwyrsch12 | January 26, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

F it trade everything you got to get in the top three and land Patrick Peterson. He is the next Revis.

Oh to be the pats or steelers on draft day.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 10:52 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

...we made the playoffs the last 5 years were based around a strong rushing attack and solid yet unspectacular D-line.

So true.

But what's happened league-wide is that most AFC teams went pass happy right along with rule changes (then added defenses) while the NFC stuck to the tried and true 'punch'em-in-the-nose' method.

The trend will swing back, no doubt.

But for now, stellar D and acurrate passers are ruling the NFL.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins

I definitely like the idea of Kaepernick in round 2. He would be a shorter term project than Locker, and wouldn't be expected to play right away because of his contract.

They could use the #10 to get maybe two other picks, because some team will be drooling over the QB still on the board. Getting Pouncey AND Phil Taylor would be nice, but maybe wishful thinking.

Posted by: NYPDee | January 26, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Cutler's haid ain't screwed on tight and he ain't right, period..If you're gonna trade McNabb, trade him to the QB-needy Vikes for Rice...Then Skins draft Kaepernick, NT, an RB, Ols and OLBs, fill in the gaps on the line with free agents..Maybe let Beck go, and get Orton..

Posted by: frak | January 26, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Trading McNabb for some value makes the one-year rental not look so bad for the FO..

Posted by: frak | January 26, 2011 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Times have changed folks. This is a pass-happy league. Forget about the Gibbs-led Redskins where we pound the ball first and pass second. We don't need to be lights out/pass on every down, these Redskins need to be more balanced. We obviously don't have a QB that can take over a game, so we need Torain and someone else to step up and provide a solid running attack, but we also need an Oline that can give our QB long enough to find receivers and put up some points. Building the O and Dlines should be the top priority!

SAVE THE ELK!!!

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Senior week so some guys will be forgotten. Keep Marvin Austin in mind. This dude will be a impact player on the Dline in the league.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I hear Buffalo likes Kaepernick, he'll be gone before we can get him in the 2nd.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 26, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

frak, how do you think we'd get Kaepernick AND a starting caliber NT? We're not the only ones hot for him (the Dolphins like him too), and I'm sure a strong combine will only boost his stock further. You don't take that kid at 10, and he won't be on the board when we pick in Round 2. This draft needs to be about building the D...chasing QBs isn't gonna help anything...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 26, 2011 11:14 AM | Report abuse

elk are delicious....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 11:15 AM | Report abuse

elk are delicious....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 26, 2011 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Do a google image search for Jerrel Powe and tell me that ain't an NFL NT. The guy is 6'2'' and has tree trunks for legs. I'd find a way to get a third rounder so we could draft this kid. He's my pick for NT.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 26, 2011 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Then we try to trade down in the first rd or we trade up in the 2nd. Either way, if Kaepernick is the guy you want then you go get him.

Draft O and Dline and get Kaepernick!

SAVE THE MOOSES!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | January 26, 2011 11:30 AM | Report abuse

PA

Powe is on the wish list.

And I don't think he's a 3rd rounder--dude is more like a 2nd rounder to us given our needs and his potenial value in our scheme.

A qb (Locker) in 1 and NT in 2 would satisfy me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 11:41 AM | Report abuse

A qb (Locker) in 1 and NT in 2 would satisfy me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 26, 2011 11:41 AM

Just curious, why are you so high on Locker?

Rumor has it, he has some accuracy issues.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 26, 2011 11:51 AM | Report abuse

PA,
Ive been down with Powe. I like my ladies Blonde. And my D lineman from the SEC.

"At 6-2, 313, Powe possesses the short, squatty frame NFL scouts are looking for in a run-plugging defensive tackle. Boasting long arms and great upper-body strength, he's so tough to move that many teams feel he'll be able to compete immediately at defensive tackle or play the nose in the 3-4 alignment."
-decent quote sums him up.

We dont have a three yet but I def feel like some moves will be made to get us some more mid round picks. This draft is a bunch of lunch pail kids. The more early-mid rounders 2-4 round picks you have the better this class is gonna look down the road.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 26, 2011 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Just draft/sign quality O-linemen and watch your WRs, RBs, and QB magically improve.

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | January 26, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

#5 Kirkpatrick C TCU
#6 williams NT N Dame
#7 Torrance CB Ohio st
#7 Wujciak LB MD

FA Leshoure RB Ilinois

Posted by: joeortega4 | January 26, 2011 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I would only go after on one wide receiver, either Rice or Jones from Houston, I would spend most of my money on Oline and Dline in free agency. I would go after, guards Joseph in Tampa and Mankins in New England. I would try to draft one of those OLB's in the 1st round Quinn, or Miller. The rest of the draft I would focus on Oline and Dline. We need to find a NT. I think the skins should look to upgrade the trenches this year and focus on the skill positions next year, after they've proven they can block for them. Greenbay's defense was built in one year, because they drafted good linebackers and a great NT.

Posted by: tonytnt40 | January 26, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Consistently enjoy this feature ... Really helps get into the nitty gritty of the options the skins have to rebuild their roster. Well-written, well-reasoned, knowledgeable. Looking forward to more where this came from. This salary cap stuff all the more important during the offseason while the major personnel decisions are being made.

Posted by: TestudoTheFearsome | January 26, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins finishing ranked 7th in the leauge in passing yards is a little surprising and would seem to further cast doubt onthe benching of Donovan McNabb. McNabb was responsible for a big chunk of that passing yardage and his personal stats were respectable (other than TD/INT ratio) while playing behind a shaky O line. 4,200 yards is 4,200 yards but anyone who followed the Skins this year knows there was alot of garbage time yardage. I hope McNabb is back next year although that seems unlikely at this point. We still need a legit #1 receiver.

Posted by: wthaljr | January 26, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Can we get Herschel Walker?

Posted by: rickyroge | January 26, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

We need a running back. Too bad Payton Hillis is not available to pound the rock in Riggins like fashion.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | January 26, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Colin Kaepernick looks pretty good. I can see why the Skins would be interested in him. He's big and fast. Hopefully, the Skins wouldn't have to spend a 1st rounder on him and could trade back to get him. I agree the Skins need to continue rebuilding both lines, but it couldn't hurt to develop a QB as a 2 year project.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | January 26, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

trade mcnabb for larry fitz...

Posted by: rot8tor_man | January 26, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good list of wideoutss, but we will see who actually hits the market and then see who wants to be the next free agent bust in DC...

Posted by: ozpunk | January 26, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

The Nevada QB is a 4-5 round pick at best.
If the Bills pick him that early they are nuts. Bills can get him in the 3rd.

Posted by: joeortega4 | January 26, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Top 10 passing? Great, then we know we don't need to fix that part right now. Stick with fixing the O-line.

Posted by: allknowingguy | January 26, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We also could use a good tight end, but that means getting a tackle. The offensive line is so bad that Cooley had to be added to it and couldn't catch passes. The Shanahans did a good job of scapegoating McNabb, but he beat the Packards and the Bears. If he had a few running backs and an offensive line and someone other than Galloway to throw to, his record would have been better. Locker had such a miserable Senior Bowl practice, Shanahan is certain to get him.

In all the nonsense about our new running backs, just remember than Shanahan put both of them on the practice team with Banks. Anyone in the league could have had them for free, and no one thought they were worth the price.

Posted by: jhough1 | January 26, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Thass nice !!!! Who are they going to get to throw the ball? Jake Plummer?

Posted by: sameolddoc | January 26, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

i know we need defense but one good thing about being a redskins fan is you know the danny will always be willing to spend especially in the best free agent class ever. so i think that you re-energize the wide receiver position. san diego will probably find a way to keep jackson so instead you get rice and holmes bringing youth, speed , size and playoff experience.
honestly between the draft, free agency and the guys they're gonna trade for picks i expect the redskins to fill a lot of positions this off season.

Posted by: northstarrsky | January 26, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

2011 HBCU Draft Top CBs

1. Dionte Dinkins, 6′1, 196 FVSU

2. Moses Ellis, 5′9, 180 Prairie View
led nation w/ 8 ints.

3. Jacques Rickerson, 5′10, 186, Ala St.

4. Brandon Bufford, 5′11, 179, Howard

5. Dajuan Williams, 6′0, 170, FVSU

6. Dante Barnes, 6′1, 185, Norfolk St.

7. Jamie Short, 6′1, 205, Norfolk St.

8. Justin Ferrell, 5′11, 185, NC A&T

9. Quier Hall, 6′0, 190, FAMU

10. Prathon Wilkerson, 6′0, 190 Albany St.

hbcuclassics.com

Posted by: typrather | January 26, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Not suprising that we were in the top ten in passing offense. Shanahans system is geared around creating mismatches. The two main problems this year were in the redzone and third down. In the redzone the field is condensed, so you need playmakers to make a play, which we don't have enough of. The problem on third downs was a combination of bad o-line play and inconsistent accuracy from the QB position. Can't run on 1st and 2nd down and then throwing the ball in the dirt when recievers are wide open causes a lot of third and longs. Then your o-line is really exposed because the d-fense knows you have to pass.

Posted by: kerrdawg | January 26, 2011 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Re-sign Moss(good #2 reciever). Then you have to make a big push for Vincent Jackson, he and Rice are a level above all the other FA recievers. No way Vikings let Rice go, Jackson was gone when the Chargers treated him like dog poo this season. Jackson is a legit #1 reciever who is a dream to have in the redzone. Armstrong should get a chance to battle with Austin, and a rookie for the #3 spot. Imagine Jackson on one side, Armstrong on the other, Moss working the slot and Cooley coming off the line. If we can get marginal protection for the QB, this will be fun to watch. Jackson will turn all those yard into points once we get into the redzone. Recievers like Jackson are hard to come by. Don't screw this one up!

Posted by: kerrdawg | January 26, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm really impressed with our young players' speed. I think with a bit of protection from the line, Armstrong, Banks and Austin could be explosive playmakers with Moss. Heck, Banks could be like Moss was on screens a few years back when he was harder to tackle than a cockroach.

Posted by: Redskinrex | January 26, 2011 8:52 PM | Report abuse

The passing game was 7th best in the league. The whole friggin' league. That's pretty doggone good. Forget about the running game being behind. WTF about the doggone defense? I mean really

Posted by: BenThere | January 26, 2011 9:06 PM | Report abuse

7th best in the league?

and people are blaming mcnabb?

has logic disappeared from washington?

mcnabb is/was the best QB we've had since theisman (ok, brad johnson wasn't bad)..... and we screwed that up too.

Posted by: docwhocuts | January 26, 2011 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Good article, good analysis. Breaston, James Jones, Holmes, Smith, Floyd and Jackson are the best here and any one of these would make a great #1 receiver. Let Moss go elsewhere, he drops too many passes and fumbles too much. Armstrong can only get better and cross your fingers and give Malcolm Kelly one more season and hope he gets in shape and stays healthy. I hope McNabb returns. He's the best option at QB. Oh and get some O-lineman who can block.

Posted by: scg1055 | January 27, 2011 2:04 AM | Report abuse

As far as free agents go, I would like to get Santonio. He is a proven winner with game-breaking speed and makes big time catches. Yes, he has off the field problems but a lot of people have them. Then look at help at the OL like Lutui or a center because Rabach is pointless in the middle. I feel that we have enough talent WRs that we only need 1 more big play receiver. Resign Santana first. Armstrong became a go to big play receiver. Austin and Banks should get more playtime at WR with the speed they both have. Add Santonio and the receiver core looks good with Cooley and Davis at TE.

On Defense we need a DE, NT, LB and FS. The jets safety would be nice or try to convince Champ to convert to a safey. For DE how about Alan Branch? He is big, strong and can apply pressure on the QB off the edge. Get Gooden from Baltimore for the LB and draft a NT because Haloti is going to cost a lot to get from the Ravens.

Posted by: daquietcutie | January 27, 2011 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Any chance the Skins won't overspend on someone who will under-deliver? Probably not. But it's a shame that they don't look for a player with the reasonable perspective of getting someone who's not going to cost an arm and leg (i.e. give away draft picks and money), someone who's productive, young, a rising star, but not some primadonna who will pull a Haynesworth once he lands a big contract. I would almost stay away from the big name, big contract players to particularly avoid the over hyped hopes that come with it, and, all to often, the lack of production that follows. That's why I like Sims-Walker, comes from a similar environment as with the Skins...not a super talented team, but he still produces. Take a good player from a really talented team and place on a dysfunctional team like the Redskins, and typically that's why they don't perform up to expectations. Take a talented guy from a struggling team and put him on the Skins and I think the transistion would be easier, and perhaps expectations more reasonable. But, I'm sure the billionare brain trust will come up with a much more complicated, and ineffective plan the some lacky fan like my self.

Posted by: eello | January 27, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eello | January 27, 2011 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Any WR that come via free agency is a risk reward. It is the nature of the diva beast that play the position. Any on of the guys on the list are left overs and I like Baldwin from PITT in the 2nd round better than any of them long term. Get Baldwin in the 2nd, keep Moss and Armstrong and only get one of the FA if it is cheap.

Some how get a 3rd round pick for Albert and/or Mc Nabb and get Colin Kaepernick at QB. Build both lines. Draft well the next 2-3 years. Might be a formula for success.

I have been a Skins fan for 35plus years. I miss the 80's but can wait a little longer if it looks as though we are building in the right direction. FA WR's scare me!!!! Unless they are Andre Johnson or Fitzgerald 2 years ago :)

I am a west coaster and have seen Kaepernick play for 4 years. He has improved each year and is a 6'6" beast with great speed and inteligence. I am also an off. coordinator for 2 A top flight HS team. The Pistol is not a gimmick. It forces you to make good reads. That is what you want and need at the QB position at any level. He tore through the Bosie State def. like no other QB had done. He did it with his legs and arms. I WANT HIM ON THIS TEAM!!!! and in round 3 he is more than worth it!

Posted by: willcharper | January 27, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"7th in passing yardage! Thus proving that gross passing yardage is an appalling measure of offensive capability."
Posted by: WeNeedLinemen

You're right, it isn't a very good measure. A much better one would be a combination of yards per pass attempt and yards per completion.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Name an area aside from TE where we don't need some help -- I can't think of one. It's essentially the same position that the Skins were in before last year's draft. Only difference is that now we know we don't have the right QB for this offense.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 27, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

give santonio a big money contract and sign Plexico for cheap - championship!

Posted by: coparker5 | January 27, 2011 11:04 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, I say Draft Julio Jones and sign free agent Linebackers.

Posted by: wewbank1 | January 28, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

"Like Art Monk with more speed"??????Did someone actually type those words in here??? Braylon Edwards being considered a better version of Art Monk has me seriously thinking about never reading this blog again....WOW!

Posted by: wewbank1 | January 28, 2011 8:17 AM | Report abuse

The Skins could use another wideout. One of the 20 somethings would be nice to pickup in the free agent market. I like Moss but don't think he is staying and age is not just about slowing down, is about the injury bug. He appears in great shape, but things start tightening up with age and that means pulling. Armstrong is rising, be nice to see where he reaches. We also have a couple more on the bench that can grow into the role, so don't think we are hurting. Adding one of the 20 somethings would be good. The passing game would have been better if the running game had not broken down. I would like to see them concentrate on another running back. Portis should be looked at as a third down back only. The injury bug is really showing. He could excel as a third down back, he picks up pass protections and runs decent patters. Draws would be effective. McNabb and Grossman both are better in the play action game and you need a strong running attack to make that work. And should they pull the plug and grab a QB in the draft, he too would need a strong running game to keep him sane. Don't go crazy on the passing game, the running game needs the work. The O-line was much improved from last year, and could get better but would like to see some more linemen brought in. Another tackle and guard. The teams in the playoffs and those heading to the Superbowl have strong O-lines with depth. They can run the power game and that opens up the passing game. I hope the Skins are active in the free agent market, not for superstars and headliners, but for some solid blue-collar guys in their 20's. Save what little draft we have for best player available that can actually make the roster and stick. No risky picks please, is the gambling and dreaming got us in this mess.

Posted by: skins50 | January 28, 2011 9:29 AM | Report abuse

As someone who drafted Jacoby Jones as a fantasy sleeper last season, and thus followed him closely, I can tell you that he was awful. He had a ton of drops, and couldn't unseat the very average Andrew Walter for the number two receiver spot in Houston last year.

Holmes has off-field problems, Braylon is inconsistent, and V. Jackson is a head case. I love Sidney Rice, but he's going to cost too much money. I don't trust Floyd and Clayton to continue to play at a high level. That leaves the following (in the order in which I would try to sign them):

1) Mike Sims-Walker
2) James Jones
3) Steve Breaston

This is the order in terms of a concept foreign to the 'Skins--proven productivity.

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | January 28, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

whatever you do. bring back Moss

Posted by: b37bomber | January 28, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

In order to adequately develop a young QB we need a small speedy receiver, a tall possession receiver, a pass catching TE and a half decent running game. All that on top of an offensive line that can give him 4-5 seconds in the pocket.

We haven't had all those pieces during any single season in over a decade. As I see it we need to get three quality lineman, a full season RB (Torrain is injury prone) and that elusive possession receiver.

Malcolm Kelly coming in strong (finally) and Torrain staying healthy all year...that would be a great start. I think you could plug in any QB and get decent offensive results if that happened...and of course the line was shored up.

But I wouldn't hold my breath on Kelly. Sign a proven WR pro in FA, pick up two lineman in FA, draft a third. See what comes on the market in FA running backs. If we could get a solid RB to fill in for Torrain we'd be looking OK going into the next season.

This implies that we are not picking up a lot of defensive players with our picks.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | January 30, 2011 12:12 AM | Report abuse