Santana Moss' situation puts Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly in spotlight

Media availability for the Redskins' three-day session of organized team activities this week is scheduled for Wednesday, and it is unclear whether wide receiver Santana Moss will comment publicly about being linked with Canadian doctor Anthony Galea, who has been charged with smuggling and distributing human growth hormone. Moss, who sources say is not a target of the criminal investigation, could face disciplinary action from the league even if it is not proven he used performance-enhancing drugs.

Moss, who is rehabbing from knee surgery, was working out fully during the OTA on Monday, according to a tweet from redskins.com's Larry Weisman. As he continues to recover, the Redskins are hopeful third-year wideouts Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly inspire confidence for the remainder of the offseason program.

Barring a trade for an upper-echelon wideout, Thomas and Kelly appear to be the Redskins' best options at the position. Kelly opened last season as the starting Z receiver, or flanker, opposite Moss, the split end or X receiver. The previous regime planned for Thomas to eventually replace Moss at X, which is usually the position reserved for wideouts with momentum-changing, stretch-the-field speed, which Thomas possesses, and for Kelly to be a chain-moving big target.

Former coach Jim Zorn soured on Kelly, people in the organization say, because Kelly's route running was subpar in Zorn's opinion. I don't understand that reasoning, especially considering the Redskins knew Kelly wasn't an especially good route runner at Oklahoma. But he has great hands, size and leaping ability, and the Redskins' former coaching staff didn't do enough to utilize him in the red zone or isolate him for potentially favorable matchups.

Thomas and Kelly have connected well with new wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell, and the Shanahans (coach Mike and offensive coordinator Kyle) will put them in positions to prove their worth. Moss might be sidelined to start the season and former No. 2 wideout (in terms of production, anyway) Antwaan Randle El has returned to Pittsburgh after Washington released him on the eve of free agency, so there is an opportunity for Thomas and Kelly to move into the top two spots on the depth chart.

By Jason Reid  |  May 24, 2010; 11:54 AM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins back for more OTAs
Next: Jarmon continues to progress in recovery from knee surgery

Comments

any news on who the other redskin is? and whether he's active or retired? are there 2 or 3 'skins involved?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas will rock out this year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

FIRST to say that it's actually TO getting the spotlight, not DT and MK...we could only be so lucky that one (or both) of these guys steps up and becomes a star...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

UNO

Posted by: jiza32 | May 24, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Current fan iH8dallas soured on Zorn. Mainly this is because of his questionable playcalling and 'medium' demeanor.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

It is arguably the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. And that's really saying something. To have guys like Travolta, Barry Pepper, and Forest Whitaker in it and still suck at an all-time high is unbelievable.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 12:11 PM

Watch just 5 minutes of Gigli, and get back to me. If there's a worse movie than that, I have zero interest in seeing it...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

walter;

last report i read was that it was 3 NFL players and 23 'athletes'. 2 of those athletes were from the area, moss being one. The other one was said to 'dwarf' moss in status but was not necessarily a skin.

Could be from Hockey, like Ovechkin. He would really be the only one from the DC area (maybe Gil) that could surpass him from outside the skins.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Young bucks gotta step up.

Posted by: gixxer998 | May 24, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think it’s BS that Moss “could face disciplinary action from the league even if it is not proven he used performance-enhancing drugs”? How can the union stand by and let a guy get suspended without proof? I know Goodell can use the “personal conduct” stuff, or act if Moss admits it……but if Moss continues to deny, and it never gets proven that he used, there should be no way in hell he gets a suspension……..

And I look for Kelly and Thomas to step up big…..Zorn didn’t utilize ANYONE on the team to the best of their abiltites. Zorn was pretty soured on Fred Davis until Cooley got injured and look how he played. The more I read about Zorn, the more embarrassing it gets that he was a head coach….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 24, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Spotlight was already on Kelly and Thomas regardless of this Moss situation.

It's make or break time for Kelly and Thomas. After this year they have no more excuses.

I don't know about Kelly, but I expect Devin Thomas to do well -- really well.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Would MK's poor route running mean he's better suited as a #3 not a #2 WR at this point. If so, who is the possession receiver on this team? Look for Cooley and Davis to have big years in receptions.

Posted by: TWISI | May 24, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

I'm going Zorn.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Run ten yards down the sideline, turn around and jump. That's how complicated I would have made it for MK. Zorn was really inflexible wasn't he? He couldn't adjust one thing in his precious scheme to accomodate a player's limitations. When Shanahan had been with the Redskins for a week he started talking about adjusting the scheme to take advantage of the players' abilities. If they can teach Kelly how to muscle out a defender for the football and how to keep from getting squished at the line in bump and run, then I think that will be enough. I think McCardell will be an awesome influence on MK and DT.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I expect that they will both show better than they did under the past inept regime.

Like JR said, they knew Mk wasnt a route runner extraordinaire, so it is asinine that they did not play him because of that. not one jump ball in the end zone?

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 24, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Spurrier, by a nose...but worse.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 24, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 12:27 PM

Sounds like another case of how the FO screwed Zorn. MK doesnt know how to use his body. That was made clear whenever any qb on the roster tried to throw him a fade pattern. Conversely, Marko Mitchell seemed to be a great goal line receiver. Granted we only got glimpses of it during preseason but he knew how to position himself and use his body. A coach shouldnt have to teach MK12 how to go up and fight for the ball. That should be innate. Lets see how Shanahan uses MK12 before we give him credit for maximizing his talent. He has great hands but what does that mean if he cant get open?

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | May 24, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Although the debate about "worser" between spurrier/zorn is like debating about if fried turd tastes better than baked turd...your team/mouth loses hard either way.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 24, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The best/worst part of the Zorn experience, were the fake punts that everyone saw coming. How about the "fake" punt lineup before and after a timeout... Wonder how they sniffed that one out...

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

I'm going Zorn.

Posted by: iH8dallas "

Gotta be Zorn..So many things wrong, like the soft practices and the lack of conditioning, the playcalls and the "Eh, so what??" newsconferences..Zorn was part of the secret Snyder plan to go 4-12 so we could get a top O-lineman for Shanny..He wins the tickets to Six Flags..

Posted by: frak | May 24, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 24, 2010 12:25 PM
------------------------------------------
I think Malcolm Kelly will be fine - especially if he gets coached up on how to use his big body to shield passes and shrug off defenders (see Brandon Marshall in reference to what a big receiver can do in this offense). I agree on Cooley and Davis. Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them line up at receiver occasionally. Going back some years, I think Shanahan moved Shannon Sharpe around like that in Denver.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

I'm going Zorn.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Definitely Zorn. No. Question.

At least Spurrier knew and basically admitted when he was overmatched.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Once again, the Skins win the offseason. With the McNabb signing and the Haynesworth and Moss drama, they've nabbed all the headlines.

As usual, it's doubtful they'll result in a damn thing on the scoreboard.

Sigh... another year of Snyder-ific football.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | May 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I bet Kelly makes more of an impact than Thomas. Shanahan saw that months ago when he called Kelly in his office and told him to get ready, cause there's a lot of balls coming his way. He has the size and hands to create mismatches all over that field. Hail Redskins! and F-Spurrier.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I hope so. He certainly has the size to be a complete animal in this league.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I bang jreid pretty hard when i tire of his incessant ah non news droning, but he hit the nail right of the friggin head here.

I expect all the Redskins young play makers in waiting to do much better this year with a Staff that will actually design and call plays to foster their playmaking.

Reason 193245 why zorn was an azzhat: he never tried to isolate playmakers or plan to their strengths.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I think Spurrier was worse, but the dude sure could flap his lips fast, Mrs. Spurrier should be really happy!

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

I'm going Zorn.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Definitely Zorn. No. Question.

At least Spurrier knew and basically admitted when he was overmatched.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 12:39 PM

Without question...Zorn. Spurrier admittedly discussed that he wasn't going to be working long hours or "sleep in his office like Jim Haaaaaslet." Zorn was that overmatched giving it his all.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 24, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? I often get TOO much pressure on the QB! One of my franchise seasons Brian Orakpo had 45 sacks. Yes, 45 SACKS. I'm 10 years in and have never gotten less than 20 in a year with Orakpo.

IMO, Madden 10 is the best version of the game yet. My only gripe with it was the ridiculous frequency in which they call holding penalties on field goals--which happens close to never in real life.

Posted by: brownwood26 |

That's crazy. You sure you got it on All Madden mode? This has been one of the most frustrating Maddens I've ever played. Yeah, I have great records, offense, and so forth, but for the life of me sack are damn near impossible sometimes. Its either that the pass rushers seem to want to engage the O lineman more then actually get to the QB, when they do get to the QB, the QB has the innate ability to always dump the ball away right before getting sacked or as he's getting sacked, still has the ability to throw the ball to the ground even with no wide receiver present. I've put countless holes in my wall cause it literally drives me insane when it happens over, and over, and over again!

Posted by: ga8085 | May 24, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

I'm going Zorn.
IH8Dallas

I hate to admit I actually spent a few minutes looking into this. Zorn's second year, the team averaged 16.6 points per game. Spurrier's second year the team averaged 17.9 points per game, and that was with Danny Weurfel at QB. I gotta give the nod as worst coach to Zorn.

Norvulous is the most disappointing though. He had actually had success building the Cowgirls offense to superbowl level, albeit with better talent.

Posted by: mj25 | May 24, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

"Not sure what you mean by "the right team", but neither guy is worth a max contract in my opinion.

Posted by: RedDMV"

By the "right team", I meant a team with a creative and skilled PG that can get out and run, rather than a slow, half-court based offense (ahem...John Wall, Wizards).

Only reason I'd say he isn't worth a max contract is because of his injury history. Otherwise he's the best finisher in the league around the rim, and has a great midrange game to boot.

People tend to think Amare is overrated, but if the Suns manage to turn this Lakers series around riding Amare's game...

Posted by: psps23 | May 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Zorn had a more talented team. (I know, it's like being the hottest girl at fat camp.) But compared to Spurrier he had more players.

The swinging gate play is what does it. Spurrier has the motorboat lips, Zorn the swinging gate.

In all honesty though, I believe that was more of a middle finger to Snyder than anything else.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I bang jreid pretty hard

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Former coach Jim Zorn soured on Kelly

By Jason Reid | May 24, 2010; 11:54 AM ET

Getting kinda dirty here, next we'll hear about Vinny tossing Dan Snyder's salad. Wait, I can believe that happened.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Last May I said that DT would lead the team in receiving and receiving TDs and that Fred Davis would have more TDs than Cooley. I missed it by that much. Take this to the bank: DT is going to have break out season and FD is going to finally make all you Cooley lovers say, "Chris who?" Shannon Sharpe I tell you. Shannon Sharpe.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs1,
thanks. it was my impression there were 2 active and one retired redskin:

from page2 of this article:

Burnham wrote that the Redskins player told Catalano -- who is identified in the complaint as "CW," or "cooperating witness" -- that he had rented two rooms at a Washington-area hotel for a September treatment session with Galea. The player also told investigators that Galea treated him on a weekly basis during the NFL season for about two years, but avoided using drugs banned by the NFL and denied knowingly receiving HGH.

presumably this is moss. the article continues:

The other active Redskins player acknowledged that he was also a patient of Galea's and received numerous treatments from him in the United States, even though he knew Galea is not licensed in this country.

The retired player, meanwhile, told investigators that Catalano had delivered two HGH "kits" to his home in August. He said used HGH for "quality of life issues" and paid $2,400 for the growth hormone and gave one of the kits to another person.

based on this (though it's a relatively "old" article) i guess there's another active redskin player. do we know how many of the other "athletes" are nflers? hopefully lots of boys, jints and iggles....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 24, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree, especially about Fred Davis.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

If you were an ejaculation, it would be premature. Figured I would stay with the theme of this thread.

Hope your right though!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

We'll see LH, we'll see...I don't happen to agree with you...but hope your right and I am wrong..Hopefully both FD and Cooley can excel and its not an either/or scenario.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

If our running game gets going and we use our 2 outstanding TEs like we should, that should take a lot of pressure off of our recievers, just no T.O. talk.
I'm just really sick of this Moss story already and it just happened. Bring on the "Haynesworth stuffed a whole cheeseburger in his mouth, is he really training?" stories.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Fred Davis just be a huge receiver?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I bang jreid pretty hard

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 24, 2010 12:48 PM

Really??

On another note.

Six Jack Bauer facts.
1. Jack Bauer is the leading cause of death in Middle Eastern men
2. Jack Bauer doesn't need a translater, torture sounds the same in every language.
3. Everytime you masturbate Jack Bauer kills a terrorist. It's not because you masterbated, it's because that is how often he kills terrorists.
4. Jack Bauer's favorite color is terror alert red. His second favorite color is violet, not because it's pretty but because it sounds like violent.
5. Jack Bauer doesn't waste time, only bad guys
6. The Killers are a Jack Bauer tribute band.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 24, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm still trying to figure out "Why did we tender Anthony Montgomery a contract keeping him here as a RFA, then turn around and release him before training camp?"

Anyone out there know / hear what the FO was thinking, explaining that one?

Pleasant Day everyone!
HTTR

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

walter, i did not see that article. I think the one i was referencing was boswells?

i will have to look back.

Posted by: Zeebs1 | May 24, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

They tendered Montgomery right about the time they were still reviewing tape on everyone, so maybe they figured they'd tender him just to be safe because we hadn't signed anybody at that point, and plus it's only a 5th round tender. Maybe they saw him at the minicamp and saw how lazy he was and decided to let him go! I also think the Carriker signing was the writing on the wall.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

while reading about santana's doc, i also came across this:

"Raised by devout Roman Catholic parents and a graduate of a Toronto Catholic high school, Dr. Galea had what he calls a “spiritual awakening” during a 2001 visit to Jerusalem, and now describes himself as a devout Zionist and biblical scholar."

here:

hahahahahahaha he's got "jerusalem syndrome!

LO-freakin-L!

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

I'm going Zorn.

Posted by: iH8dallas'

Zorn? Really? Spurrier mailed it in... couldn't even be bothered to know his players' names. Spurrier had already been a successful head coach and OC at the major college level. Zorn was a QB coach. Zorn was not prepared to be a head coach and was set up to fail from the very beginning. Yet he conducted himself with class and grace and worked hard every second he was here.

Spurrier is in a league of indifference and ineptitude all his own. He's far and away the worst this club has ever seen.

Posted by: outsider6 | May 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

psp23- this is the same dude that called Odom's 19 rebounds in game 1 lucky. He finally showed up and this in a contract year and you want to say he's not overrated?

On another note I thought the Magic would beat the Celts in 6. I was wrong as well. Just wondering why Vegas has the Magic as only a 3 point dog tonight. Vegas isn't studid but that spread makes zero sense.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 24, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

gotta go with Zorn on the who is worse argument, see Spurrier quit trying, probably between season 1 and 2, Zorn was giving this his full on treatment, and it was just abject failure....didn't one guy say that all Spurrier would do during practice was try and kick a football over his head, and catch it behind his back...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

J Ried assumes the NFL players union will not back Moss if he is indeed sanctioned/fined/suspended by the NFL. If it goes to arbitration (which i'm sure it would) who knows what the outcome will be for a player who was not named by the federal government, only linked by a reporters secret source. Rodney Harrison admitted guilt, he chose not to challenge...this seems to go down the same road as the Pat Williams Case in Minnesota, which is a ongoing legal battle over supplements.

Posted by: MajorFacemask | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811
___________________________________________
Hey Monk,
How's it going today?
But I must ask you, Carriker is a DE and Montgomery is clearly a DT????

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Spurrier was worse. He just... didn't... give... a... sh!t. After Snyder lured him away from Florida with all that fanfare, he always seemed to be bothered by having to do coachy things, seemed like he'd rather be on the golf course.

And there was that wonderful story about how he wasn't aware NFL rosters aren't big enough to have the offense practice separate from the defense. If it weren't for Marvin Lewis, we'd have an even worse memory of the Spurrier years, if that seems possible.

At least Zorn was trying. And he came in with slightly north of zero expectations due to the shabingus that was the coach search. He was a terrible, terrible head coach in this league, but he doesn't hold a candle to Spurrier.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: outsider6

Then Zorn should've manned the F up and told Snyder and Vinny that he wasn't ready. And before you say "who would say that?", know that young coaches or guys who aren't head coaching material say it all the time. It's called "knowing when you're over your head".

But no. He was an egotistical inept play-calling d-bag of a coach. Whether people see that or not. I don't miss him at all. I REJOICED the day he was sh*t-canned!

People kill me with the "Zorn was a nice guy crap" and that he was "setup to fail". If he was being "setup to fail", and you knew it, we knew it, don't you think Zorn did as well?

Well, judging from his decision making, probably not.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

nate, thats kind of the point, Spurrier quit trying, and was still better than Zorn, who was giving it his all....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 24, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

zorn/spurrier

interesting question here whose answer is determined by the answerer. does effort count for anything? the consensus seems to be that spurrier didn't try hard. some say he's worse BECAUSE he mailed it in (and sucked). whereas others say zorn was worse because the really tried and STILL sucked....

both were in over their heads, but for different reasons. gotta kinda feel for zorn - signed up for OC and was thrown into HC. that whole thing was sooooo poorly handled. HC shoulda been williams....(then williams shoulda picked his own OC etc...) oh, well....

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 24, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

psps,

Stoudemire is 6-10.

Where are the basic things you ask for in your big men like, oh, I don't know... like DEFENSE and REBOUNDING?

Oh that's right, they don't exist.

At least with that guy.

O-VER-RAY-TID!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811
___________________________________________
Hey Monk,
How's it going today?
But I must ask you, Carriker is a DE and Montgomery is clearly a DT????

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Going good Ray, but you're a little unclear on Carriker. He will probably be used as a DE, but because he is either healthy again or with Haynesworth not being here he has been the one taken the snaps at NT during the minicamps/OTA's. Montgomery never lived up to potential, he didn't have a strong motor. Carriker, does, he has just had some bad luck with injuries, plus playing in wrong schemes in St. Louis.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

gotta kinda feel for zorn - signed up for OC and then took the HC job.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

*offered then took

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, judging from his decision making, probably not.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

LOL. I concur. Zorn was the worst. His play calling and decision making was borderline retarded.

Posted by: ga8085 | May 24, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

With Spurrier, he was a college coach that should have stayed there, he was way over his head in the NFL. With Zorn, I think he does belong in the NFL, but not as an OC, and especially not as a head coach. Maybe in a few years he can gain some experience. He should have stayed as the QB coach. Some assistants weren't meant to move on to be the head coach, look at Buges. Sucky head coach, hall of fame type offensive line coach. And don't give me that "feel sorry for zorn, signed up for OC and then took the HC job", he didn't have to take it. I think Spurrier was the worst, but Zorn is right there behind him.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | May 24, 2010 12:51 PM

You're crazy for playing All-Madden...I go at the level just below it, All-Pro. I've been frustrated enough by the REAL Redskins that I don't need the same thing with the virtual Skins too. I wanna win consistently AND have my guys put up numbers. Can't do that in All-Madden.

But I get what you're saying...the better the QB you go up against, the better they are at dumping the ball off and throwing it away.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 24, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of the Moss situation, it's time for both of these young millionaires to either Step Up - or Step Out! Prove your worth or give some of that money back you took for being more than you are - don't you wish all professional athletes had to play by the same rules the rest of the working stiffs (me and probably you) have to play by - show you worth the money, or you don't get it. It's sickening watching these guys earn what would be long term financial security for the most of us only to underperform and take their good fortune so casually - where is the work ethic of these guys?

Posted by: whelms1 | May 24, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

We have hit an all-time low when we have to discuss who is worst Zorn or Superior! I'm glad they are both gone! I know that there is a TO discussion going on somewhere in Ashburn today!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 24, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey Monk,
How's it going today?
But I must ask you, Carriker is a DE and Montgomery is clearly a DT????

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Carriker was a DT in a 4-3 just like Montgomery. DTs in a 4-3 to 3-4 conversion generally find themselves at the ends. Too small for a NT and too big for an OLB.

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That ain't the way the game is played. You will get smoked like sour diesel if got on the sticks with someone who plays on the All-Madden. Seen it dozens of times.

All-Madden. Not for the weak-hearted.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jtrob_1 | May 24, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Swinging gate was the all-time low

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey Monk,
How's it going today?
But I must ask you, Carriker is a DE and Montgomery is clearly a DT????

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

You guys aren't listening. I hear what you are saying about his size and "generally" he'd be the end in a 3-4, but HE'S BEEN PLAYING NT IN HAYNESWORTH'S ABSENCE!!! I think they originally picked him up to play DE, but with Kemo still injured and Fat Albert not here, they moved Carriker to NT and have been playing him there during OTA's. I think he's plenty strong enough, and now he's healthy. Why is that so hard to understand?

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Monk,
How's it going today?
But I must ask you, Carriker is a DE and Montgomery is clearly a DT????

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 24, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I've never deviated away from playing All Madden, and I won't start now. All Pro is too easy, I don't care how frustrated I get, I just can't choose an easier level. I feel like I'm giving up part of my soul if I do that.

Posted by: ga8085 | May 24, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

OK jokers, one door closes and two more open for DT and MK to enter and slam shut! Take the starting positions in your 3rd yr. Young and talented time to take control of your own destiny become our Art Monk and Gary Clark that we've missed for so many yrs! Santana can be our ricky Sanders when he's done with his suspension.

Posted by: sthai75 | May 24, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

If you guys want an update on Ethan Albright, Dan Steinberg would be the better person to ask.

It even sounds like a thread of his.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse
____________

Well, because I care just a little too much about our beloved former long snapper, I took RedDMV's suggestion and emailed Steinberg about the status of Ethan Albright. For those who care, here was his response:

"Not retired. But not signed anywhere. Maybe getting up in years?"

In other words, he doesn't know any more than we do.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 24, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 24, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I read where, according to Goodell, Moss can be suspended if it is shown that he illegally purchased or possessed a banned substance, regardless of whether he used it. I don't know if such a purchase or possession would be covered under the personal conduct policy or the drug policy, and I'm not sure that it matters. I just know that if 'tana misses a substantial amount of time, it makes an already-questionable receiver corps even more suspect.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 24, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

All-MADDEN level usually the team with better ratings wins. All pro, you have a chance to upset a team like the patriots if you're the skins with skill and play calling. not just better QB and Oline protection.

Posted by: sthai75 | May 24, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 24, 2010 12:18 PM

I challenge anyone to (try and) sit through Cabin Boy with Chris Elliot and tell me that is not the worst movie ever made.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 24, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

hooray for the bull......haha...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 24, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Hey Monk,
How's it going today?
But I must ask you, Carriker is a DE and Montgomery is clearly a DT????

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 24, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see your post about AC playing NT in camp, nor did I know that. And I hadn't read down that far before I posted. Kind of surprising to see him playing there though. Would not think a sub 300lb DL would be pluggin up the nose in a 3-4. But hey, if he can collapse the middle and work doubleteams, then by all means do it.

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I bought a movie at Wal-Mart called "Brutal". The back of the box said it was "Silence of the Lambs" meets "Saw".

Hey, two movies I like, it's a can't miss.

I've seen better acting in pornography, and that's not sarcasm, I'm being completely serious.

If anyone truly wants to see the worst movie ever watch "Brutal". It's also on Hulu.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan713, at least you got a response.

The dude Steinberg loves his job. Posts like 10 threads a day -- everyday. An authentic blogger.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 24, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

What was the name of that TV show he had like twenty years ago? I was real young when it was on, but my dad thought it was hilarious.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Originally they were talking about Kedric Golston playing NT in Haynesworth's place and I felt the same way thinking he was too small, but Carriker and Golston are a lot alike, both about the same size (Carriker 296, Golston 300) and both have a high motor and will finish off plays, Montgomery never had that even though he had the size. Plus I think they asked Carriker to add a little bit of weight too. My bet is that Haynesworth gets the start at NT most of the time, and then maybe slides over to play DE, with Golston playing NT on passing downs cause he's quicker, and Kemo playing NT on running downs cause he's bigger. Haynesworth takes so many breathers, and you know he's gonna be injured at least 4 games this year, so you can't have too many NT's on your roster!

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

This isn't the worst movie I have ever seen, but it is still fresh in my mind after painfully sitting through it...

Failure to Launch

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Can we just agree that Thomas and (especially) Kelly have been gigantic busts? Throw the ball to Fred Davis every play and maybe that'll make us forget what 2nd round wastes those other two guys are.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | May 24, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Well, you mess with the bull.......

Too easy?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 24, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

What is Shanahan's record against SanDiego, when Phillips was the D-Coordinator?

They faced each other twice a year so I assume Shanny knows a little something about the Dallas D.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

It was called Get a Life, and was only on for like 2 or 3 years. I thought it was funny, but like stupid funny.
And BTW, Cabin Boy wasn't as bad at The New Guy, that moved sucked royal d*ck. Eddie Griffin played in it, he's overrated anyway!

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 24, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Have you seen the Watchmen? I cant believe I sat through that pile of crap.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Holy mother of F'...

not for the faint of heart...

Posted by: psps23 | May 24, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

DAAAMMMMNNN! Those are some great action shots.
Horn of the Bull: 1-0
Sword of the Ferry: 0-1

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 24, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The Perfect Storm- A story based on actual events. They just dont tell you that the actual events were the storms, not that crap they made up for the entire movie. If they all die on the boat, how is there even a movie? No one lived to tell the story.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 24, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Holy mother of F'...

not for the faint of heart...

Posted by: psps23

WTF!?!?!? Was that the horn coming through his mouth!?!?!?!?!

How is the dude still alive?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | May 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

THIS is a great action shot.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000

**Facepalm.... while smh and lol under breath**

I think the movie was inspired my a book.

Still found it hilarious that 'G-Money' got a part in that movie. I think he didn't say anymore than 15 words the entire movie. Easily the most out of place character in the entire movie.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Fred Davis just be a huge receiver?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 1:11 PM
------------------------------------------
He ran a 4.66 forty at his college workout (he didn't run in Indy). I would say that is fast but not wide receiver fast. Still, having a two tight end set where he sometimes goes in motion wide will trip up a defense. Having him hanging out wide when they decide to run could open up some possibilities for some interesting sweeps and then you have him run a deep route next play...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

The bull's dead, the matador's fine, Uranus Williams's dress...hanging on for dear life.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 24, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

it looks like he split 3-3. they each beat each other in 2004, denver swept in 2005, that's the year they lost in the championship game versus Pittsbums, and got swept in 2006. He didn't have much success running against San Diego in 2004, getting about 100 total yards in 2 games, but the next 2 years were much better, running for 98 yards in the lowest game, the other 3 were well over a hundred.

Posted by: monk811 | May 24, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

**BY a book**

gawd.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Holy mother of F'...

not for the faint of heart...

Posted by: psps23

WTF!?!?!? Was that the horn coming through his mouth!?!?!?!?!

How is the dude still alive?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:13 PM
-----------------------------------------
It was probably a lot worse when they pulled the horn out. There were probably all kinds of stringy bits dangling and the blood was gushing... Meanwhile, the bull was probably winding up to give him another go...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Holy mother of F'...

not for the faint of heart...

Posted by: psps23

WTF!?!?!? Was that the horn coming through his mouth!?!?!?!?!

How is the dude still alive?

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:13 PM
-----------------------------------------
It was probably a lot worse when they pulled the horn out. There were probably all kinds of stringy bits dangling and the blood was gushing... Just rub a little HGH in it, Buddy...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Curious to see how the American Needle ruling will play into the CBA meetings.

So now if a guy wears a Nike headband, he can't get fined?

Whatever. Reebok sucks. Nike is better.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I kind of liked "Cabin Boy," mostly for Andy Richter and David Letterman's incredible cameo.

Also, as for bullfighting, the bull landed that terrific chin shot --- to the dude whose job is to "finish him off" after a bunch of other dudes have been wearing the bull down -- is, as LH noted, dead... so even what appeared to be a rare "win" for the bulls turned out like 99.99% of all bullfights, with a dead bull and a "heroic" matador...

Bullfighting is worse even than dogfighting because it's done publicly, fully sanctioned... [whatever the Spanish word for "ugh" is]...

Good grief I come off like a scold sometimes, don't I? I do enjoy some things, I really do...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:37 PM

No impact whatsoever. The case only keeps the door open to anti-trust lawsuits against the NFL. Teams are not going to now reach individual agreements with companies hoping to compete with the Reebok.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Matador got what he deserved. He stabbed the bull, the bull stabbed back.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

how can anyone pick THE worst movie? there's literally thousands of WORST movies.

my favorites are the ones you don't remember hearing about, but they've got this great cast and so you think, well how bad could it be with all these great actors?

then you get it home and find out.

put me in the Spurrier column for worst head coach. all those ex-gators and not a one of them could play worth a damn.

what's a weurffel worth?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | May 24, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Re: Zorn or Spurrier worse?

You guys are asking the wrong question.

The real question is, who hired them as Head Coaches, and why?

If Snyder offers me a job as Head Coach, I'm taking it. Beleive that. And don't blame me for making bad calls if he hires me instead of someone who knows more about running a team than I do.

How many people were interviewed before Spurrier and Zorn were hired?

Posted by: Alan4 | May 24, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"Media availability for the Redskins' three-day session of organized team activities this week is scheduled for Wednesday, and it is unclear whether wide receiver Santana Moss will comment publicly about being linked with Canadian doctor Anthony Galea, who has been charged with smuggling and distributing human growth hormone."

If Mossy has a lick of legal sense, he'll just stay shut-the-hell-up, until this thing blows over..

Posted by: frak | May 24, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

Say you're working for a big-time prestigious corporation.

If you been a mid-level employee your whole career, and then one day the CEO of your company asks you to be the CFO, and although you never had ANY experience at the position, hell you never even been an assistant department supervisor -- you're telling me you will still take that job without at least thinking to yourself: 'Gee, I just might be getting into something that I'm not familiar with?'

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

what's a weurffel worth?

Posted by: RedskinWillie | May 24, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You can get Weurffel's and Fried Chicken at Roscos for $5.99

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

How the Zorn HC hiring went down...

Snyder: So, we know you don't have coordinator experience, but we feel this is a position you can grow into.

Cerrato: Can you say West Coast Offense?

Zorn: I think you made a good choice. Well, I guess I'll be heading back to the Holiday Inn Express...

Snyder: Wait a minute... Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

You can get Weurffel's and Fried Chicken at Roscos for $5.99

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good right about now

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

tampa, I heard the counter staff at Roscoe's have to wear gloves when they're serving upchicken and wuerffels, since their small hands have trouble gripping the plates.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Yes sir, because as it is we all think we know better than the boss.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 24, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Thats funny, but we all know Snyder's 8 hour, 3 day interviews end with the uncomfortable "sleepover"

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Nate!

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the movie was inspired by a book.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

It was "inspired" by a book, but the book was "inspired" by actual events.

In the beginning of a movie when the line pops up, "This movie was inspired by actual events", it damn well better be.

I thought the movie was good, especially at the end, obviously for this movie to be "inspired" by actual events one of them HAD to make it out alive.

So when it ended and no one lived, I was F'n pissed. It ruined the entire experience, it was a better flick when I thought it was actually based on some sort of reality. When I found out it wasnt, it lost its shine.

Kind of like Fat Albert, we bought a line of goods that ended up being much less than the value we originally placed on it.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | May 24, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I have never tasted waffles better than Roscoe's. When I've visited to LA, I would have Roscoe's every day. The fried chicken omlette is incredible.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Not sure Cabin Boy was suppossed to be good...its badness was the point. You have to like Chris Elliott's humor.

ihate, the show you are looking for is "Get A Life"

I always root for animals over human....I love when animals got revenge in those old faces of death documentaries.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 4:06 PM

Self-doubt is normal. No guts, no glory. I wouldn't accept a position as a brain surgeon or a dentist, but I can do leadership. I would strongly consider that CFO job, but I would have to be able to hire the talent I need around me to allow me succeed.

Coaching is similar. I'm pretty sure almost every position coach feels like they can wear the headphone. Ditto for every college coach.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

FRIED CHICKEN OMELETTE!!!! I'm from the South, why have I never heard of this heart attack inducing meal?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

No need to address the wr position. Sinorice, Granpa Galloway, and the Bust Brothers have it covered.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 24, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 4:23 PM
------------------------------------------
Ouch.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Fred Davis just be a huge receiver?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

For whatever reason, whenever I think of Fred Davis I immediately remember the reverse that Zorn ran for him against the Cleveland Browns in his rookie year. He looked so slow.

I actually glanced away from the TV when the play happened b/c of a conversation and when I glanced back at the TV and saw Davis running with the ball, I seriously thought that the snap had been fumbled and some Olineman had picked it up trying to salvage yardage.

Anyways, I'm glad he had a nice run of games at the end of the year - looking forward to more.

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Holy mother of F'...

not for the faint of heart...

Posted by: psps23

Hard to feel bad for him. If you are going to attempt to slaughter a live bull with a sword, then you are kind of asking for it...

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Also seemed really hard to tackle

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

there were about 15,000,000 reasons for zorn to take job - even if he felt he was not really qualified. and heck, he's been around football and head coaches all his life. maybe he thought he could do it. now, he was obviously wrong, but let's also not forget the dysfunctional team to which he "hitched his wagon". heck, even gibbs could barely get them above .500.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | May 24, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel bad at all for this greasy European. GO BULL!

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

psps,

Stoudemire is 6-10.

Oh that's right, they don't exist.

At least with that guy.

O-VER-RAY-TID!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Red, I think it was psps who was up here saying that the Celtics had no chance against the Magic the other week.

Just keep that in mind when you're tossing opinions back-n-forth on hoops with him...

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel bad at all for this greasy European. GO BULL!

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 24, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Though I will say that bull-fighting is at least much ballsier than sport-hunting.

A guy in an enclosed ring with a sword against a bull is at least competitive.

A guy hiding out in a bluff with 12-gauge waiting to pick off a deer...not so competitive.

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, a guy in an enclosed ring with a sword against a bull that has been speared and stabbed and effectively tortured almost to the point of exhaustion by a bunch of other dudes is not what I would consider "competitive"...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | May 24, 2010 4:34 PM

All staged. I saw the filming of one of those things. Grizzly was taking a cigarette break between shoots.

Posted by: dcsween | May 24, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

running of the bulls >>>>> bull fighting

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 24, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 2:46 PM

I've been asking Steinbog to ask Rabach about his college major (agricultural journalism) for years ... nothing but crickets. (Raback: Ag Journo ... that's pure gold!)

Posted by: dcsween | May 24, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Moodly, feel free to chime in anytime. A little expert insight is needed.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Brutal, yes.

But still alot more "competitive" than Guy-Hiding-in-a-Bush-with-a-Rifle versus Bambi.

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is worse than Spurrier by miles. Zorn performed at the max of his ability. Spurrier just didn't try. The Ball Coach has the ability to be the best coach of all time. He took Danny's money and played golf. He's sweet.

Posted by: ElSith | May 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I do enjoy some things, I really do...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 3:46 PM |

Hey, a dude like you will have multiple orgasms when he gets his hands on the new Call of Duty game, Black Ops. It's got all this dope stuff in it like water boarding, rendition, drone strikes, covert assassinations, anthrax (germ warfare), etc. As far as I can tell the worst torture is not in the game but it is what the game's fans are going to be suffering between now and November when the game becomes available unless you can figure out a way to get your hands on an advance copy.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

DIESAL44 GO PRACTICE SAFE SEX AND GO FU*K YOURSELF

Posted by: bsilvanus |

Yeah, I was afraid undoing the "caps lock" was a little beyond Bsilvanus skill set.

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

ElDrano, I've been ignoring those stupid video game ads masquerading as legitimate comments until now, but since you responded to me I've returned the favo(u)r by hitting "Report abuse" on your comment.

Don't mention it... seriously, don't mention it ever again.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 24, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Trust me, there's lots. "Plan 9 from outter space" was so bad it was the subject of another movie, that won Martin Landau an Oscar. "Best Worst Movie" is a documentary just released about another horrible effort.

Brownwood, you seriously underestimate the ability of Hollywood to make bad movies.

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

So how come the black guy and Ben weren't inside the church at the end?

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Spurrier just didn't try.

Posted by: ElSith | May 24, 2010 5:52 PM |

He did try but he didn't know how different college and pro coaching is in terms of the level of (a) effort required, (b) adult supervision needed and (c) time put in sweating the details until it was too late.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 |

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:00 PM |

You need to distinquish between suck jobs like Planet 9 that had no budget, no talent and no remote chance of success and movies like Heaven's Gate and Ishtar that had big budgets, had lots of talent, of which big things were expected and yet they sucked just as hard as your Planet 9's.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

So how come the black guy and Ben weren't inside the church at the end?

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:03 PM |

They were out and about trolling for chicks.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Funny. When there's no action at Redskins Park, we get bombarded with "Updates" on Haynesworth. When there is action at Redskins Park, we get nothing at all.

Interesting.

Posted by: MadeRED | May 24, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:00 PM |
Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:03 PM |

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:06 PM |

6:06 is a repost of 6:00 with 6:03 being different. So 6:06 wasn't the result of impatience from a long wait for the website's slow update process to kick in. What are we to make of this? Alzheimer's?

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | May 24, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse
------
put orakpo at RE, as soon as the ball is snapped hit the finesse and turbo at the same time. Sack every pass play.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | May 24, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Bull v bulltard... nice!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 24, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah.

I've got to say Zorn for that reason.

Spurrier was just blind-sided by the pro game and pro coaching, and its not like there's a great track-record of successful college coaches turned pro.

Zorn, on the other hand, had spent a long time coaching in the NFL (albeit as a positions coach). He had to know what it took, but just came up waaaaayyyyy short.

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | May 24, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

What about the "every-one-was-saying-that-it-sucked-and-acted-like-it-sucked-but-when-you-were-actually-watching-it-you-know-you-were-entertained" category of movies?

Like "Waterworld"

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Keith loses 7 teeth to errant puck

This happens a lot in the NHL. I never understood why hockey players don't wear some kind of protective covering over their mouth. They wear face masks in the NFL and nothing hits them in the face anywhere near as hard as a flying puck.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

If Kelly and Thomas move up to the top of the depth chart the Skins are doomed. Two second round bust's courtesy of Vinnie the Great.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | May 24, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas

technically LA is "southern" Cali....

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 24, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Ending my 24 hours of dismay at the sweep of my Sharks. Only to find the discussion up here on the worst movie ever made. My entry? Swinging Gate: The Jim Zorn Story. Still makes me want to throw up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 24, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Moodly, feel free to chime in anytime. A little expert insight is needed.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 24, 2010 5:20 PM

when interacting with humans and other animals, I can assure you this type of behavior is strictly for self defense.

occasionally, it's fun to play chase with humans, but most injuries involve clumsy people falling down in front of a mad herd of stampeding bulls.

among my own kind, however, horns are useful for such things as epic mating battles and keeping the moo-in-law at a safe distance.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 24, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyMix | May 24, 2010 6:33 PM

If I remember correctly Orakpo had a 76 rating as an OLB but when you switched him to DE he was an 86. I guess Blache and Zorn never played Madden 2010.

He will be a monster as an OLB in a 3-4.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 24, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Keith loses 7 teeth to errant puck

Posted by: ElDrano

Yeah, but the Sharks scored short handed on that play

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 24, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Like "Waterworld"

Posted by: p1funk

LMAO! Co-sign like a motherducka.

Waterworld wasn't all that bad.

Err... ahem... *cough* 'The Postman' *cough*

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Ending my 24 hours of dismay at the sweep of my Sharks.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 24, 2010 7:09 PM |

Dude - misery loves company. You aren't alone. The Cavs fans feel just as bad as you do about their team flopping out also. After tonight it will be ditto the Magic fans too. Here's hoping the Blackhawks can end their long drought and win the SC that they last won back in 1961.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 24, 2010 7:14 PM |

Are you a Texas Longhorn? Wither your athletics? SEC? Big Ten? Solo?

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Ending my 24 hours of dismay at the sweep of my Sharks.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 24, 2010 7:09 PM |

Dude - misery loves company.

Posted by: ElDrano

Isn't that the basis for this blog?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 24, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Are you a Texas Longhorn? Wither your athletics? SEC? Big Ten? Solo?

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 7:57 PM

if you're asking about pedigree... Ivy League, ACC, Big East. try to keep up with all of those on an irregular basis, plus whatever local gridiron or hoops games I can take the calves to in/around northern Idaho... which means Pac10, WAC, or WCC. but when it comes to true fandom, don't really follow college sports except ACC hoops.

explained the moo thing a couple of days ago. dig around in the archives and maybe you can find it.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 24, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Okay, let's say the season starts tomorrow. We have Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Galloway and Wade who would probably be locks. If Moss is going to be suspended, they will probably ride into the regular season with six receivers. Who is number six?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 24, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

RSH- Whoever wins the pr/kr job. My guess is Austin.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 24, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Dude - misery loves company.

Posted by: ElDrano

Isn't that the basis for this blog?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 24, 2010 8:08 PM |

1. It's a basis, not "the" basis. And it's Skins misery not Sharks/Cavs/Magic misery.

2. There are some posters who are into meting out misery, not commiseration. Like that brute RedDMV with his hysterical rants.

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

"they moved Carriker to NT and have been playing him there during OTA's. I think he's plenty strong enough, and now he's healthy. Why is that so hard to understand?"

Carriker played a lot on the nose as a rook in St Louis and had a very good season. He was their RoY and finished with 30 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 safety. Then he got hurt and missed 2009. He'd bulked up to around 305 to play NT. He's not the ideal shape for it, but he can play.

Carriker is something of an anomaly. You know that at the predraft combine, weighing 297, he had a short shuttle of 4.18, a 3 cone of 7.16, a 9'2" broad jump. Those speed numbers are more appropriate for a 265 lb DE. He also did 33 reps on the bench press, which would have put him in the top ten this season. Most remarkably, his vertical leap was 33.5" (that's the measure they use for pass-rush explosion). In other words, he's quite an athlete, and he doesn't seem to think he's special.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 24, 2010 9:03 PM | Report abuse

And, more importantly, Carriker was able to curl 175 lbs 12 times (straight bar) and neck curl 160 lbs.

Aside from that, with a weight of 425 lbs on his shoulders, he did 22 calf raises - full extension!

And then, without any rest, he shotgunned 12 beers and immediately clean jerked 305 lbs 10 times... before he blew his arm out.

But, the guy's an animal.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 24, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

"He will be a monster as an OLB in a 3-4.

Posted by: Diesel44 "

I want him to be turned loose like LT on crack from the "rover" lb slot..Let the blood and the body parts fly like the worst Mexican horror movie in the world (which are the WORST movies in the world)...miss Mystery Science Theatre 3000, that crew were occasionally hysteric...

Posted by: frak | May 24, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Like "Waterworld"

Posted by: p1funk

LMAO! Co-sign like a motherducka.

Waterworld wasn't all that bad.

Err... ahem... *cough* 'The Postman' *cough*

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Amen.

I mean, if anything Dennis Hopper pouring out his heart to a picture of patron saint Capt. Joe Hazelwood is ALWAYS good entertainment

Which reminds me of a movie which I think is one of the most underrated of all time - True Romance.

I'm not a Tarantino buff at all, but that jack was surprisingly good and the all-star cast is pretty eye-popping.

Dennis Hopper having a smoke and insulting crime-boss Christopher Walken before he gets offed is one of the great scenes in film.

I'd also like to nominate "Collateral" as a darn-entertaining movie but, for some reason, I remember that it got hated on.

Posted by: p1funk | May 24, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Shannon Sharpe ran a 4.3 and some change in the 40 and pressed 225 35 times (or something like that) at the combine..Not to say Fred Davis or Cooley can't do a reasonable impersonation, but just sayin'..

Posted by: frak | May 24, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

p1funk-

cosign True Romance.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 24, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | May 24, 2010 9:54 PM

`

*chuckle*

I wish.

I can only think of Vernon Davis as a Shannon Sharpe clone. This will be Alex Smiths final year to prove he can win in this league; otherwise he's out. He looks like he might be able to play, and with the the overall weakness of their division, I'd imagine San Fran posting a 10-6 record this year and they will win the NFC West.

Posted by: Vicc | May 24, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Worse- Zorn or Spurrier?

Posted by: iH8dallas

Spurrier...that cocky f'ck talked all kinds uh sh't (Haslett), ran up the score in preseason, hired-on Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews, then ended up sucking mule d'ck as a pro coach. And of course, he gave-up;Zorn had just enough class not to look like a quitter. F Spurrier.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 24, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

From Mike Wise's article

The brand has taken some hits lately, and not just because of 4-12 last season. One player who is not planning to attend June 17 is Arrington, co-host of his own radio show, opposite's Snyder's station, on WJFK radio's 106.7 FM. (Full disclosure: I co-host a show there too).

"Dan Snyder has to talk to me before I do anything for a team that he owns," said Arrington, who cites a deep, personal rift between he and the owner. "Unofficially, I am very involved with a lot of the players. Talking to and mentoring former teammates, whatever they need. But before I ever do anything or go to a practice, I need to talk to Dan Snyder and be heard. There would have to be a discussion where a lot of issues are resolved."

(FYI - June 17 is a reunion day for former players at the Park)

LaVar Arrington = A-hole

Posted by: TWISI | May 24, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

sucking mule dick ...

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 24, 2010 10:35 PM |

Wrong action, wrong animal, wrong body part, dipstick. Learn the lingo, zingo.

licking donkey chode ...

Posted by: ElDrano | May 24, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

Check out "The film crew," and "Riff trax" (http://www.rifftrax.com/)same guys different title

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 24, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Wrong action, wrong animal, wrong body part, dipstick. Learn the lingo, zingo.

licking donkey chode ...

Posted by: ElDrano

Shut up retard.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 24, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"...without any rest, he shotgunned 12 beers and immediately clean jerked 305 lbs 10 times... before he blew his arm out.
I heard, at the combine, he sharted thousand island dressing all over a salad and ate the whole mess... while doing pilates.Posted by: Thinker_"

LOL and yet, he doesn't think he's special.

You, on the other hand...

Posted by: Samson151 | May 24, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

If New York is awarded the Super Bowl in 2014 then D.C should be awarded the Super Bowl in 2015 since Snyder has been trying to get a Superbowl in FedEx for a long time. I think its unfair that they are even considering New York since Snyder said he was willing to put a roof on Fed Ex and still was denied but yet they would consider New York. What do you guys think? I live in California so i dont know the weather very well on the East coast but i always thought the weather was fairly similar.

Posted by: wattsicon | May 24, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

From Mike Wise's article

(FYI - June 17 is a reunion day for former players at the Park)

LaVar Arrington = A-hole

Posted by: TWISI | May 24, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Last thing we need is bustington to be mentor to ANY one on the team!

What's his advice to them?

Make sure you get an agent that reads over your contract and tells you to sign it when you didn't agree with the terms?

Blame everybody but yourself for you play?

Freelance and ignore the play or coaches instructions and allow B. Westbrook to get catch a screen for a game winning first down on a 3rd and 32? Act a fool at a funeral of a formal team mate with a speech about a player who did not like you because you almost blinded him with a shaving cream pie and turn it into a speech about yourself? OH i got it! Tell them how to be a complete lazy player and not put in the time to reach potential!

i bet he has been talking to Albert Ain'tworth!

Posted by: leevi98 | May 24, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

i forgot the most important factor of Arrington....BASH the guy who made you a millionaire publicly....WHAT A JACK A$$!

Posted by: leevi98 | May 24, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I dont care what anyone says LAVAR ARRINGTON SUCKS. Im sorry that mf had one maybe two good seasons F him period. LAVAR SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wattsicon | May 24, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

What's very noteworthy is Gibbs sense of how to get the most out of his players. From the article, regarding John Riggins.

"I think everybody on the team has a different hot button," Gibbs said. "If you're good at working with people, you realize everybody is a little different on the team, and you've got to know what hot buttons to hit. As an example, John never really wanted to talk to me much.....He stayed very far away from me. He talked to Bugel and Breaux. But that's the way John dealt with things.

*****

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 25, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas and Bobby Wade starts if Moss can't go. Hopefully a rookie free-agent is an NFL player in diguise. Jason its easy to understand, and no delicate way to put it. Malcolm Kelly quit on routes so often down field and just stood there while the QB needed him to keep trying. He just didn't perform like a competitor, and wasn't hungry enough to keep moving and fighting.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | May 25, 2010 4:35 AM | Report abuse

All-Madden. Not for the weak-hearted.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 24, 2010 2:15 PM

Let me clarify on the Madden skills: I don't play All-Madden against the CPU, but I do against another live opponent. Most of my Madden playing takes place in franchise mode against the CPU, which is why I mostly play at All-Pro level. Playing All-Madden against the CPU just isn't a fair fight in most cases.

Speaking of virtual football...can't believe we haven't had another "TO to the Skins?" post...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 25, 2010 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Do you still think our receivers are better than Philadelphia’s?

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 25, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

beep beep, y'all

Jarmon update...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 25, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

"Look at Gibbs attitude towards Riggins, a challenging personality -- and compare it to Shanahan's attitude towards Albert. Shanahan needs to figure out how to get the most out of his most talented player. I'm not sure he's doing that.Posted by: zcezcest1"

Big difference is, Riggo really wanted to play for Joe (article a week or so back). Albert feels betrayed. I'm sure if Mike were to agree to let Albert play any way he wants, all would be forgiven. At least from Albert's perspective.

He's a great athlete, and for one shining season in Tennessee, a great football player. Then he moved to Washington and signed the big contract and wasn't as good.

Now it's over. Albert's beyond 'handling'. Teams' going in a different direction and he knows it and wants out.

Somehow IMO they'll accommodate him.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 25, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

WHO drafts a receiver who isn't a good route runner? Oh, wait...Vinny Cerrato. My bad.

Posted by: linroy62 | May 25, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

It's just an idictment on the coaching staff to not get them on the feild.

If you put recevers on the feild on the back side, you can easily use them to clear out space for moss, cooley, and DT....so it's crazy to beleive that a nickle corner, or a backside LB can stick with Davis or Kelly.

Also, If you spread them out with Moss, DT, Kelly, Cooley or 4th WR. It forces either one linebacer off the field and it automatically opens passing lanes and it gets the ball out quick.

also, it forces the Dline to watch their rush because lbs/dbs will have their backs to the qbs...so it's not that hard.

Posted by: impervious99 | May 25, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

...hmmm... now that we have a QB, I think we could pull this off provided the rest of the offense shows up to play.

Posted by: oda155 | May 25, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

With Mcnabb under center instead of the college level QB we've had the last few years, Kelly and Thomas will have no excuses. With that being said I do believe one of these two will put up prowbowl numbers this season. Having both Cooley and Davis is a nice security blanket as well.

Posted by: skins91r | May 25, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas and MK lets hope they have better hands this year than Carlos Rogers. To many dropped balls last year by the lot of them.

Posted by: Brian429 | May 26, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Lets hope Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly end up having better hands than Carlos Rodgers to many dropped ball by the whole alot of players last year.

Posted by: Brian429 | May 26, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

I would argue that, in fact, the Santana Moss situation puts the spotlight on the other oft-injured 'Skins players, particularly those who share their history with U of Miami; Clinton? Rocky Mac? I hope not, though.

Or, just down the road playing like a man 10 years younger, Ray-Lew?

As far as the young 'uns go - just throw them in. Malcolm can be the possession receiver and Devin can make magic happen deep. The TEs can both catch and maybe Westbrook would be a 3rd Down asset?

Posted by: stevebeagrie | May 26, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Makes letting Marko go all the more stupid.

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 26, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse