Shay Hodge trying to catch on

Shay Hodge isn't afraid to admit it: So far becoming accustomed to the NFL hasn't been easy.

"On the field it's been kind of tough," the rookie wide receiver said. "The NFL is a big adjustment. Balls come faster, you got to make adjustments, and learn how to run routes better. It's been tough, but I think I'm catching on."

With 12 receivers currently on the 79-man training camp roster, Hodge is in the midst of an uphill battle to earn a spot on the Redskins' final 53-man squad. Several veterans and a couple of young receivers -- such as Terrence Austin and Anthony Armstrong -- appear to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

"The competition isn't necessarily cutthroat but the younger guys are kind of like a wild card," Hodge explained. "We come in at a certain situation and you gotta make it count. If you don't, it's gonna take you longer to get into the rotation. We got like six vets, seven vets and the rest of us are competing to be on the team, so it's pretty tough."

Despite the competition, Hodge says he has been able to learn from veterans such as Santana Moss and Joey Galloway.

"They're good guys. They teach me," he said. "I'm learning from watching them. It's fun to have veterans like that. All the older guys don't necessarily treat you like a rookie and try to take advantage of you and do the things you hear about."

Getting to camp, however, was no fun.

At Ole Miss the 22-year-old became the school's all-time leading receiver with 2,646 yards and was named first-team All-SEC his senior season. After such a college career, he expected his name to be called during the draft. It wasn't. ISome scouting reports had raised questions about his speed.

Instead, Hodge signed with the 49ers as an undrafted free agent and was released during rookie camp. He signed with Washington in May.

"The draft went crazy. I never expected to go undrafted," he said. "I expected to get drafted somewhere in the middle rounds and get into a rotation and be part of a rotation fast but now I gotta take it in stride and do what I can do."

All that has given Hodge some extra motivation.

"I got a chip on my shoulder and I'm trying to do my best and make this work out for me," he said.

By Jorge Castillo  |  August 4, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Veterans catch a breather in morning practice
Next: Versatile Stephon Heyer backing up both tackles

Comments

No comments have been posted to this entry.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I forgot this guy was on the team.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 4, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I forgot this guy was on the team.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: gixxer998 | August 4, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

how big is this cat?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I am the most extreme Redskins fan in Mississippi! Everyone I know gives me hell about being so obsessed with the Skins. So I am here to tell you Shay Hodge was a beast at Ole Miss. It would be great if he made the team because my buddy who is an Ole Miss fan is also a Dallas fan so I would love to stick that one in his face.

Posted by: jasonbowers74 | August 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I am the most extreme Redskins fan in Mississippi!

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Shay Hodge

6'1 - 207 - 40 time was 4.5-4.6

Had 70 catches, 1100 yards and 8TDs his senior year at Ole Miss. Pretty good numbers against SEC competition, but the 40 time is nothing to "wow" at.

Posted by: p1funk | August 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like an uphill battle for Mr. Hodge. There's always the practice squad.

Making the team at WR:
Moss
Williams
Thomas
Galloway
Austin

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 4, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

WTF is Shay Hodge. Is that Merrill Hodge's sister?

Also, I won't panic on the Tackle positions until I see them in preseason.

Trent WILL get beat from time to time, but hopefully it won't get McNabb killed.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 4, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like an uphill battle for Mr. Hodge. There's always the practice squad.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Well I've been looking to see if I can see what you're seeing..however for the life of me I only see one high profile name added to the QB position...could you tell who the other high profile guy is?
Thank you...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | August 4, 2010 3:39 PM

The new starting QB started in the Super Bowl in 2005. The new backup QB started in the Super Bowl in 2007. You can challenge my definition of "high profile" if you wish...

Posted by: Alan4 | August 4, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully this guy can perform well in camp.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like an uphill battle for Mr. Hodge. There's always the practice squad.

Making the team at WR:
Moss
Williams
Thomas
Galloway
Austin

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 4, 2010 4:25 PM

I'm having trouble believing Galloway can be a productive, healthy receiver for 16 games - and with a little good fortune, some post season play. I have to wonder if that roster spot is better used with younger legs. Perhaps we should be watching the wire as the preseason winds down, just in case.

Posted by: edvar | August 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | August 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping he has that ageless DG28 speed. I would rather Moss and Thomas start, and see Austin bust out as the new deep threat.

To see him get behind the Boys' secondary for a 70 yard bomb would be awesome.

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@Posted by: edvar | August 4, 2010 4:39 PM

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see one of the young guys like Armstrong, Hodge, or Kelly push Galloway off the roster, It would bode better for the future of the team, but right now I just don't see it happening. I have more hope for Armstrong than I do Hodge or Kelly.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 4, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong.

Posted by: bleep-bleep | August 4, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

bleep-bleep = parrot troll

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 4, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins are going to depend on Joey friggin Galloway this year. That alone ought to get McNabb to go to Minnesota next year.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 4, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Is he tall like Anthony Mix?

Posted by: trezmartin | August 5, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse