Skins sign rookie WR Terrence Austin

The Redskins have signed rookie receiver Terrence Austin, a league source confirmed Wednesday.

Austin, a seventh-round draft pick out of UCLA, agreed to a four-year deal with a total base value of $1.85 million, according to the National Football Post's Aaron Wilson. Austin received a $62,000 bonus and could receive more bonus money based on his performance.

With Austin's signing, only two of the Redskins' six draft picks remain unsigned: left tackle Trent Williams, their first round pick; and linebacker Perry Riley. The team last week signed three other picks, agreeing to terms with Dennis Morris, Selvish Capers and Erik Cook.

By Washington Post editors  |  June 16, 2010; 5:13 PM ET
Categories:  wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sources: NFLPA advised Haynesworth about skipping minicamp
Next: If Albert Haynesworth won't play nose tackle for the Redskins, who will?

Comments

Too fast

Posted by: alex35332 | June 16, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

News! Real news! Holy moley it's news happening!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 16, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

That's nice, Terence Austin signed and all.
Now as for this AH situation, cut his goddam balls off with a garden weasel (and by that I mean booo him every time he sets foot on the field or his name is called, and we should cheer if he gets injured).
Man, I am full of hate.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

p1funk-

You're two sacred cows...AH and DH.

"Obviously, being a player and a teammate, you want a guy like that on your team. I talked to him last night for about an hour and it's a tough situation. I understand a hundred percent where he's coming from. I don't think a lot of people understand the background behind it. I think maybe they understand a little bit after reading [about Haynesworth's stance], I think they kind of saw a little bit of it. But they might not really understand from the outside looking in."

Wow, just Wow.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Sources: NFLPA advised Haynesworth about skipping minicamp"

mistamayor

This thread alone justifies your employment.

Extremely informative reading.

It looks like if the skins play hardball, AH will be put in the position of coming to training or losing his dough.

So if I'm team Shanallen, I cross my arms, force the f!cker's hand, he then comes to camp fearing the loss of money, and gets traded next Spring for a bag of chips and a Big Gulp.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 16, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think a lot of people understand the background behind it. I think maybe they understand a little bit after reading [about Haynesworth's stance], I think they kind of saw a little bit of it. But they might not really understand from the outside looking in." D Hall

I think Hall should start listening to his team mates, the fans, and management about AH. That fat bastid will be there for training camp and can expect that most everyone by that point will want him pimp smacked.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

z, you irritable turd, what part of albert not wanting to be reached don't you get?? Are you really that dense??

Al wants to cash checks, and nothing else, he wants no part of putting in the work required on defense.

While you're in fantasy land, can you get us an ogre, or bigfoot to replace him??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Look Greg, we all know you're an a$$-hole, wrapped inside moron who hopes one day that Antonio Pierce will have his way with you.

You really have no clue what is on Albert's mind or how he might be motivated. None. Your ignorance is massive. You've never met the guy, let alone had a conversation with him, let alone spent a few years getting to know him. But you claim to know what he's thinking? Time to let some blood flow back to your brain.

Its possible you are right, but its one possibility -- out of many. Skins mgmt would be fools to assume that you are right.

Assuming you know what's going on just make you the fool. And an even a bigger a$$. Again.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Take that Haynesworth!

Posted by: ga8085 | June 16, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1
How could you possible believe that accurately reflects the situation.
It doesn't matter "what is on Alberts mind;" he took $21Mil after being given the option to leave for another contract if he wanted!
Why the h'll would what is on AH's mind really matter? So far his statements all blame the redskins for doing what is best of the team, that is the only indication of what is on his mind and it is just a bunch of lies: HE HAD THE OPTION TO LEAVE!

The only thing one could reasonably conclude about AH is he thought he could take 21million in bonus' and ditch the team, then blame the team by claiming he is the real victim.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

How could you possible believe that accurately reflects the situation.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

Again, you don't know if he had the option to leave. Maybe there was a deal on the table, but Skins mgmt didn't think it was enough. Maybe he couldn't get a deal because there was no fool bigger than Danny, willing to absorb the $20million hit. If I'm guaranteed the $$, I'm not giving it back.

We've all probably been involved in managing situations with people that are difficult to manage. Albert is one of them. But it doesn't mean its doomed to fail. Heck, Albert played good football (though below his ability) for the bozo combo of Jim Zorn and Vinny Cerrato.

fwiw, I still say the 3-4 thing feels like a red herring.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"Sean Taylor was a complete jerk when he came here. The coaches found a way to get through to him. I'm not saying things will work out with Albert, I'm very skeptical on that front.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse"

Yerp..Skins have a long history of headcases making trouble and then playing well- Kilmer, Riggins, Manley, Sean Taylor, etc. ...This one ain't over til Fat Boy Sings.....

Posted by: frak | June 16, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

zeke, I see where you're coming from, and I agree that this ain't over, but I think you're trying too hard on this argument... too much anger at Albert right now, we need to work through that together before the healing and rational looking forward can begin.

And it was a bozo trifecta of Zorn, Cerrato and Blache.

(Speaking of which, talk about falling out of love with a guy... remember when we were all nuts about the quotemeister general "don't fall in love with a stripper" Blache?)

F Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 16, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Phillip Daniels is on Redskins Nation on CSN.

They're asking him about this Haynesworth piece of garbage RIGHT AFTER he comes off the field after putting in mad work.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

so... all day, ESPN has had this annoying little link behind their "insider" paywall:

"Rumors: Haynesworth may be headed to MIN"

any insight from informed hamsters?

elsewhere the drumbeat seems to be for Tennessee, Minnesota, Detroit... similar to what we heard around draft time:

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

So when Hall says he knows where Albert's coming from I think he does, or he does better than the rest of us working for 40K a year.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 16, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

That's irrelevant to my point.

The question is this:

By saying the things Hall said on behalf of AH, do you think those comments endear him to his teammates and help him in terms of being viewed as a team/lockerroom leader?

Posted by: p1funk | June 16, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

been around the block enough to know that I don't know. I can guess. Speculate. etc.

But who knows. Maybe Kyle Shanahan is doing Albert's ex wife's lawyer. Maybe that's at the bottom of all this. Stranger things.

I don't think we've crashed yet. But its getting close and there's not much evidence that anyone's looking for the brake pedal.

Albert has a lot to lose. Including respect, friends and money. There's still wiggle room, but who knows if the parties are trying for it.

To quote frak, This one ain't over til Fat Boy Sings.

And Nate, you know I'm not afraid to take the unpopular side. Its what makes me, what's the word? Oh yes, unpopular.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

p1funk-

You're two sacred cows...AH and DH.

Wow, just Wow.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Diez...rough couple of days here. It could be worse. I could be Tony Hayward. Or Cork.

Seriously though, the only thing I stuck up for regarding AH was his talent and impact on the field. I never defended his attitude or work ethic. I was prepared to take his comments about coming to mandatory stuff at face value, until there was reason to think otherwise - and apparently so was the team. Now there is reason to think otherwise.

Hall has been a mainstay at Redskins park, and he's still their best cover corner. He's been there putting in the work. He's not just talked the talk this offseason, he's walked it. I think the things he said were stupid and counter-productive IF he's trying to hold himself out as a team leader.

You don't express sympathy and understanding for the guy who just threw the slim shady at the whole team/organization right after cashing a $21 million check.

Posted by: p1funk | June 16, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Albert is a 1-2 year rental type in a trade. That limits his value in return for a pick. It also means most rebuilding teams won't touch him. Maybe DET, since he knows the HC well.

Basically, it has to be a team ready to make a run. No one is trading for Very Fat Albert. But if Albert's in shape, which I'm guessing isn't the case, half the league should be calling and offering a 3rd rounder.

Of course, if Albert insists on a 4-3, then you cross off a bunch of teams. But again, I have my doubts that the 3-4 is really the issue.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

But again, I have my doubts that the 3-4 is really the issue.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:28 PM

so... what do you think is the issue?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

also zeke, I agree with your thoughts on a trade, which is part of why the Vikes make sense.

at this point, consensus seems to be third-rounder. can't remember where else I've seen that, but it popped up on a couple of different blogs today.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Al understood how frustrated the fans, coaches, and players were with him. His agent's accusations about how the team is being dishonest I think just pist people off more. Not sure how much AH had to do with developing this strategy to get him out of Wash., and how much was his agent/others.
It doesn't matter really. Now he is in a position where it is very likely he will have to pay the money back, or suck it up and play NT/DE in the 3-4 this year. Either way, his plan to "have his cake and eat it too" seems to have backfired. You can't string people along for your own greedy purposes, for months, and not expect a lot of anger.
YOU SIGNED A CONTRACT FOR AN UNGODLY AMOUNT OF MONEY KNOWING WHAT WAS IN IT, YOU GOT YOUR CHANCE TO LEAVE VIA TRADE OR RELEASE, AND NOW YOUR GREED HAS MADE THE WORLD HATE UR AZZ! PLAY BALL, GIVE THE MONEY BACK, OR KILL YOURSELF...ANY OF THESE ARE ACCEPTABLE U FAT F'CK!

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the people that post on this blog are as mean to each other as they are to the writers. None of us work at Redskin Park or have AH on speed dial, thus all we have are our opinions. Everyone is entitled to theirs, regardless of how unpopular. After years of reading these WaPo blogs I just have to ask...

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: Beggarsandthieves | June 16, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

I see it the same way. Albert was a very good player last year. Despite his attitude and conditioning. Really sucks to see great talent squandered.

I recall a college b-ball player named David Thompson. Guy had talent like Jordan, but not the attitude. Thompson was a very good pro, even made the HOF. But the guy's play never came close to matching his talent level.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I have my doubts that the 3-4 is really the issue.

Posted by: zcezcest1

DING!

I was thinking the same thing.... I'm starting to think that Haynesworth had NO intentions of playing no more than three years with the 'skins. Once he got his dollars up, it was only a matter of time something like this would've popped off.

It would definitely explain his jaking during games (see: getting carted off on STRETCHER only to return minutes later).

Word from the stripping NY chick is that he came for the money.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

F Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 16, 2010 6:04 PM

One of my "brazens" (a phrase coined by 4th Floor) was that Haynesworth would man up, be a stud, and most importantly, play at least 40 snaps during Week One.

I'm no longer offering to cover bets on money on that prediction.

Posted by: dcsween | June 16, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

After years of reading these WaPo blogs I just have to ask...

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: Beggarsandthieves

If you really been reading the WaPo blogs for years, you should have the answer to your question.

Getting along all the time, holding hands and singing kumbaya is for weak sissies.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Im am hosting a Albert Aintworth Jersey burning get together bery soon here in central florida. So far we have two jerseys to burn while we drink and enjoy the fire pit....Gonna have a burning ceremony...reading what he said during his press conference and why he wants out! this will be video recorded and will b posting on Redskins.com as well as Facebook, extreme skins and You tube. A tweet will be sent to Adam Shef. of espn and give permssion to sho the video nationally! See what happens!

Hail!

Posted by: leevi98 | June 16, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, sween, I feel so betrayed, so disappointed in this dude.

It's going to take some getting over. But time heals all wounds. Or, as Mike Ditka said when he got fired by da Bears, "this too shall pass."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 16, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

All is not lost Sween. While I am not hopeful that this works out as you predicted, at minimum Albert is going to show up for training camp and not cause problems so that he can keep that $21M. From there, anything can happen.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 16, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

But again, I have my doubts that the 3-4 is really the issue.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:28 PM

so... what do you think is the issue?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo

going with ... I don't know. But I'll toss a few speculates (sween, you can borrow that term if I can borrow brazens).

1. Its personal, something went down with him and Shanahan that went very wrong.
2. Its a power trip. All ego and bad advice from his 'so called' friends
3. He's lazy and really has lost interest in football
4. He's depressed. Too many lawsuits and too much getting dumped on

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:54 PM

maybe his high school cocaine addiction has finally caught up with him?

also, none of these are mutually exclusive explanations.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Word from the stripping NY chick is that he came for the money.

Posted by: RedDMV

When he comes to DC, he gets paid. When he comes with the stripper, she gets paid.

How ironic. In a double entrendre kind of way.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the links Moo.

Posted by: wireman65 | June 16, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

It is worth mentioning how funny this situation is, in some respects. Fat Al finally got his "come uppance" for being a manipulative low-life who has been granted every benefit possible in our society despite being a complete scumbag.
It is always funny to see an a-hole like AH get a dose of reality.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

2. Its a power trip. All ego and bad advice from his 'so called' friends
3. He's lazy and really has lost interest in football
4. He's depressed. Too many lawsuits and too much getting dumped on

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 6:54 PM

I go with #3. But if it happens to be #4, I give you permission to go console poor, sweet Albert, from caressing his hand to gently wiping the tears from his kind face. Do it zcezcest1, do it for the good of mankind..

Posted by: ga8085 | June 16, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Z,

I think a lot of this precedes Shanahan and I think it's all football related. Go back and read Fletcher's comments. He wasn't just talking about this off-season. It's clear he's talking about last season too. And Albert has said (and DHall repeated) that he feels betrayed by the team in terms of how he's been used. He previously voiced problems with Blache and how he was used. The 3-4 switch was just the last straw.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 16, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Also amusing are those who are saying things like "this too shall pass" when the entire problem with AH is that he slides by in life because of people who are passive enough to let it happen. Just because he can play ball, doesn't mean that is OK.
Being passive is let him get to this point in life; jump on in with the hotheads to bash this dude into submission.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 7:05 PM

Are you serious? Do you really believe Haynesworth gives a rat's patootie what you or any other fan commenting on a blog thinks or says? Nothing you, I or anyone else says here is going to change him or cause hime to "submit."

Posted by: learnedhand1 | June 16, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure it did not go quite like this photo, but it sure feels like it.

Posted by: Curzon417 | June 16, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

You, Your, You're.

F Albert

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Z,

Posted by: learnedhand1

Could be. Just saying the 3-4 thing feels like a red herring. And that there are other possible explanations. And that I don't know what the real story is.

The 3-4 could be the last straw, could be part of the deal. But I'm skeptical that its really THE issue.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085

Heheh. Oh people of virtue, whisper all covenant assurances into his ear. "It's okay to stomp on people's heads, try to screw your team out of $21million and then try to blame them for being the bad guy, poor sweet gentle Al." For certainly, the most important thing on earth is your interests and your interests alone, despite the fact that you have a contract stating your commitment to others for money.
"Oh Prince Al, you are truly the victim of circumstance and cruel vengeance wrought you by the villainy of others. A tragedy which gnaws at your saintly grace, beleaguering your every stoic effort at divine countenance."

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

lost in all of the hoopla...

Our D-line still includes such standouts as Darrion "Plastic Bag" Scott.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd let Haynesworth's fat azz rot...I wouldn't trade him unless we can get fair value.

Posted by: rickyroge | June 16, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

This is all we really need to know:

"It's no different than his attitude and approach to last year's defense," Fletcher said, "about wanting everything to revolve around him and him making plays. And if it didn't benefit him, he wasn't really willing to do it."

If Fletcher says it, it's true.

Goddam, I really hate this muv-ufuca.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 16, 2010 7:29 PM

This whole drama is very Shakespearian. Can't wait to see how this will all play out.

The world is but a stage....

Posted by: edvar | June 16, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

so who will be our better rookie option for punt returns... Austin or Banks?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

AH's market value must have really nose dived from his FA time to post 2009. The Skins were willing to let him walk if he would forego the $22 M April 1 check. Which would have been a good deal for him - walk and find a 4-3 team willing to fork over the $$$. Problem is (a) he fatassed his way through 2009 and (b) his Skins contract was way too generous. It is mostly (a) though. If he could have played in 2009 the way he did in 2008 there would have been some team willing to hand him $$$ when he walked away from his contract with the Skins. Either because of skill decline or effort decline his market value is less than half what his contract with the Skins has and is paying him, which is unfortunate for the Skins.

Posted by: CrimeScene | June 16, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

so who will be our better rookie option for punt returns... Austin or Banks?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 8:05 PM |

Don't count out baby tuckoo.

Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo ...

Posted by: CrimeScene | June 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

mol... Portrait is ok, Ulysses was better, Finnegans Wake too dense for me.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

"Thus the own facts did we possess them are too imprecisely few to warrant our certitude, the evidence givers by leg pull too untrustworthily irreparable where his adjudgers are seemingly freak threes but his judicandees plainly minus twos."

g'night all.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

and a paragraph earlier, for aficionados...

"Thus the unfacts, did we possess them, are too imprecisely
few to warrant our certitude, the evidencegivers by legpoll too
untrustworthily irreperible where his adjugers are semmingly
freak threes but his judicandees plainly minus twos."

g'night crimescene doppelgangers, too.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | June 16, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | June 16, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they do maybe they don't, we have a 2 minute sound bite from each guy and I am going to assume that when Hall and Daniels talk a lot more information is exchanged than what they say to a reporter.

I get the sense that Hall is close with most the players on the roster, he is outgoing and it could be argued that his ability to communicate with AH (who sounds standoffish) and be able to explain AH's position to guys like Daniels LFB and other team leaders would make him a leader, not in the company line sense like LFB is, but in the man of the people sense.

Now there are these anonymous sources who may be pissed at Hall, but he never called them out by name, and frankly I don't think that there have been many "unnamed sources" in this AH story.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 16, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

alex-

Really dude?

I get the sense that neither (AH & DH) is well liked and have more in common with each other than they do with the rest of the players on this team.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

He feels betrayed because they wouldn't let him do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. The nerve of some people. Paying you MILLIONS of dollars and then actually putting demands on you. Shame on them. NOT!!!

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, never heard anyone say they are a problem.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 16, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, never heard anyone say they are a problem.

Posted by: alex35332 | June 16, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

***Simon and Garfunkel at the Yankees game post

Just a minor distraction from the FatAl Distraction. Still doesn't look like they're speaking.

***End Simon and...ok you get it.

Posted by: SMACK1 | June 16, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, never heard anyone say they are a problem.

Posted by: alex35332 |

Don't know about DH, but even before things blew up yesterday I heard negative rumblings from players about Fat Albert. I remember Phillip Daniels complaining about AH sitting out of practice because of some minor (imagined) owie while Daniels was practicing with his torn biceps, and another DL was practicing with cracked ribs.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

I don't know, never heard anyone say they are a problem.

Posted by: alex35332

True on both counts, but then again you never heard any of his teammates complain or voice problems with Haynesworth until today.

Football players a good ass actors. All we heard this whole thing was that Haynesworth was in touch with certain guys on the team and that they fully expected him to be in mandatory OTAs and training camp.

Now someone is lying here. Either they were in contact with Haynesworth and he said he'll be there, or they never talked to him at all and was just trying to prevent a distraction by fronting like they were talking to him.

Posted by: RedDMV | June 16, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I think that he wants out because he knows he had already lost the respect of all the hard working, dedicated, team players on the Skins. He can't look them in the eye without seeing their disgust in him.
Hard working men usualy don't like slackers, especialy ones that are getting paid more to do the same job.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster

Thats another possibility ... made ore likely if he's out of shape

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 16, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

As RedDMV points out, NFL players are a very tight-knit fraternity. It is very rare that any of them will speak out against another player. (With the exception of jerks like T.O., and even then most players wont speak negatively in return.) The fact that multiple players are willing to speak negatively against him (especialy players like Fletcher!) is a VERY bad sign for Fat Albert.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Big Al is gonna have some special practices when he shows up.
Q: How do you drop 350 lbs. quickly?
A: Push him off a cliff!

Posted by: daggar | June 16, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Anyone can be an amateur shrink, but one gets the feeling that the voice inside his head that told him to crunch Gurode's pumpkin is the same voice that is telling him to act up in spite of all the Skins' $$$ that are in his bank account.

Posted by: CrimeScene | June 16, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

alex-

DH is on his 3rd team despite making 2 pro bowls and only being 26. He was cut halfway thru his 1st year with Oak after signing a fat deal. He then played decent for the skins and was given another lucrative deal by Vinny/Snyder.

We all know AH's story however in the last day ex Titans teammates have come out and said he was selfish as well as such NFL quality character guys such as Fletch and Daniels.

Remember when Hall got into the scuffle on the sidelines vs. Atlanta and NOBODY came to his rescue except for AH. So much for DH being a leader and or well respected/liked in the locker room. If that was 99, 93, 37, 64, or 59 stuck on the opposing sideline you would have seen a different result.

My point here is that DH and AH are way too similar in personalities and were both "unfairly" asked to be in a system that is not best for them. Neither would ever be categorized as a team first guy.

Still shaking my head at p1funk for backing these guys.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

This kid is worth 3 Haynesworthlesses, but then again, what kid ain't?

Posted by: Corvis777 | June 16, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Mebbe AH thinks he can duplicate the wizardry of his buddy DH - go from one fat deal to another when things get tingly. Unfortunately a fat ass is kind of a deal breaker for a second fat deal.

Posted by: CrimeScene | June 16, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Albert didn't change. The Redskins did. That $21 million wasn't some new clause implemented by Shanahan. That money was in the contract that Albert signed. There isn't a single player in the NFL that would walk away from $21 million guaranteed. But it wasn't Albert's decision to make. Albert didn't have to do a thing to collect the money - it was guaranteed to him if the TEAM decided to keep him on the roster. The decision was Shanny's. Albert told him that he wouldn't play in a 3-4 and Shanny decided to keep Albert on the roster. By keeping Albert on the team past March 31st, Shanny decided to honor Albert's contract and pay him $21 million. Shanny had every chance to cut Albert before April 1st. Had he done so, Shanny would have had $21 million during free agency to strengthen the LB, RB, and O-line positions.

Posted by: coparker5 | June 16, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

This kid is worth 3 Haynesworthlesses, but then again, what kid ain't?

Posted by: Corvis777 |

You just summed up why no one will give us anything good in trade if we try to get rid of him.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | June 16, 2010 10:14 PM

If they cut him what part of 41 million guaranteed don't you understand. Shanny gave him the option of walking away and being a FA and not collecting the 21 mil or be onboard and collect the 21 mil.

Fat Al decided to collect and be a no show. This has nothing to do with Shanny and everything to do with Vinny/Snyder and the P.O.S. that is AH.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | June 16, 2010 10:14 PM |

Dude - how could that be? The $21 M is part of the $41 M guaranteed loot. See below:

Guaranteed Money:

- Signing Bonus: $5M

- 2009 guaranteed P5 salary: $6M

- Option Bonus: $21M

- 2010 guaranteed P5 salary: $3.6M

- 2011 guaranteed P5 salary: $5.4M

TOTALING: $41M guaranteed

Posted by: CrimeScene | June 16, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

How dare Shanny expect a man to live up to his contractual obligations. Shame on him.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Nice work CrimeScene..

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if this situation will affect AH's agent's ability to negotiate lucrative deals for his other clients. He may wind up regretting his part in this.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

"N.F.L. Brings Expanded Season Proposal to Union"
By LYNN ZINSER

At a meeting between the N.F.L. and the players’ association negotiating teams in New York on Wednesday, the league spelled out its proposal for expanding the regular season to 18 games while cutting preseason games back to two.

The 20 game season is coming.

Deal with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 16, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

"This kid is worth 3 Haynesworthlesses, but then again, what kid ain't?

Posted by: Corvis777 |

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 10:29 PM "

Yeah, unless he were to go somewhere where they really didn't give a crap about team play like the Patriots or the Cowboys or the Iggles.

Posted by: Corvis777 | June 16, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"Shanny had every chance to cut Albert before April 1st."

We pointed this out ealier today: you have to ask why the FO kept a player due big bucks who didn't want to be on the team.

They should've cut their losses before April 1st, taken 'whateva' in a trade or released him to the winds before checks exchanged hands.

But hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 16, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

The 20 game season is coming.

Deal with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe
I hope they up the roster limit with the increase in games, otherwise injury attrition will become too much of an issue. The team with the most guys left standing wins the Super Bowl.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Nothing Haynesworth says or does now should change his intrinsic trade value. It remains what it has been: AT LEAST a 1st round pick, or a two second round picks, or a pro bowl caliber player. Or the money back.

The rest of it doesn't matter -- he plays or doesn't play; he sits and pouts or doesn't show up or plays his guts out, who cares really, as long as he doesn't get traded for chump change.

To my mind that's the only issue that matters -- but it happens to be a life and death matter for the Washington Redskins. If they fail to get this right, God help us.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 16, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

"Happy Birthday Tupac!"

Rap legend Tupac Shakur would have turned 39-years-old today.

But for now, America's oldest lamest rapper continues to molder in the grave.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 16, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Pepper5-

A 3rd would be a steal. I'm not sure if you realize what 92 has done to his reputation and his trade value in the last 2 months.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

kaasmaster

"I hope they up the roster limit with the increase in games, otherwise injury attrition will become too much of an issue."

The players quoted in the article the post comes from--T Brady and R Lewis--feel the issues of long term injury and compensation for additional regular season games were important.

The owners, however, stated that if you convert two preseason games to regular season games, then how do the players deserve more pay?

I'd say roster expansion 70 players? (no practice squad, larger game day rosters) would make some of the arguments go away.

And if there's a higher sal cap as a result of collective bargaining, how do the players then say they should be paid more?

You'd have to say it's abit more interesting discussion than filleting the tired minutae related to the failure known as Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 16, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

No no I totally get it -- what I'm trying to say is that now Albert needs to stay. At this point it's the best possible "realistic" outcome. The franchise literally cannot afford to send the message that you suck it for $21 million and then get a trade whenever you want for next to nothing, simply because you decide you don't like it here. Jesus, that's just not a good precedent is it?

This is vital both for signing free agents in the future and dealing with other NFL teams. It also has to do with Dan Snyder. AH's value is should be set artificially high for the next several years...and it matters not at all whether anyone will be foolish enough to trade for him there. We're stuck with the doosh and it's all good.

Team has got to stand up for itself now -- this is a line in the sand...I'm glad for it honestly as long as they don't cave in.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 16, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

pepper5

"AT LEAST a 1st round pick, or a two second round picks, or a pro bowl caliber player. Or the money back."

Not to be rude, but becasue of the way Haynesworth fronted on the skins' management, no one is going to give up any top value for the guy.

Who'd give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for someone who might decide he doesn't like the team or its scheme?

The stillers got a 5th rounder for shedding themselves of an excellent player in Santonio Holmes: think of compensation more along those lines for AH, my friend.

Posted by: MistaMoe | June 16, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Moe-

The more football, the more better. Look for a roster expansion from 53 to 70.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 16, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

No team is going to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder for AH. But please --let everybody know -- that's the price. Redskins aren't the Steelers, they're where players go to cash in and tune out.

Posted by: Pepper5 | June 16, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe |
Seems like the owners are trying to ignore the fact that the starters seldom play for much of the game during the preseason, which of course would change if the games were real.

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe |

Posted by: kaasmaster | June 16, 2010 11:19 PM

Yup.

The roster is bigger in the preseason, and more scrubs get playing time, resting the starters.

Posted by: edvar | June 17, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Some of you may recall that I was pretty vocal that the Albert situation was a problem created largely by the Redskins and some deceptive negotiation practices (which I still think started things off on the wrong foot), however, Albert should not have taken the money (21 mil) and then said "I want out". That's BS.

What an incredibly loud bang to signal the end of the F'd up "Cerato/Snyder as GM" era...

Posted by: edvar | June 17, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

"I see where you're coming from, and I agree that this ain't over..."

Oh, I think it's over. At least the important part.

There's still plenty of drama to come, but my guess is, we've seen the last act in preview.

They're in the process of pouring Quikcrete on their respective positions. Management that Albert should show up and play where they want him to play. Albert that he never would have signed if he knew they were going to change things up on him, and so he's not obliged to cooperate.

Not much wiggle room on either side.

Posted by: Samson151 | June 17, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Albert's argument is that he never would have signed if he knew the team was going to go 4-12, fire its coaching staff and the guy who signed him, replace the coaching staff and hire a real GM, and bring in a new defensive mentality that features the 3-4?

What I'm saying is, I know Albert came from a franchise in Tennessee which is the epitome of old-school stability -- one head coach and one D coordinator his entire time there, I think -- but he has to know that team is an anomaly... coaching staffs change all the time, teams change their schemes with regularity, that's the way the league works now.

For Albert to claim that he's somehow exempt from handling such a transition is a preposterous position to take.

F Albert Haynesworth.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 17, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Nate-

Funny right? Al actually thought that Zorn was going to be here past last year..

I guess he thought that skank stripper was on the pill too..

He really is a fat P.O.S.

Posted by: Diesel44 | June 17, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

My add to AH: (not apologizing)

1. He didn't like the way Skins treated our departed QB.

2. He knew OL was big problem and doesn't see very much advancement in that area.

3. He knows 3-4 requires a lot of very large/mobile LB's which we are short of.

Since I am a Skins Rooter, if he does show up for training camp and is on field game 1, I will be rooting for him to tear the Cowgirls apart.

Being very patient, I will let the FO take care of this situation and root on all those we have in camp and hope that there is a lot of gelling for the season.

Just my $.02, for what that is worth.

HTTR

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | June 17, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

Dear stupid,
It doesn't matter what Haynesworth thinks, the only thing that matters is the impression that the media gets of fans opinions of AH.
If we boo him when he walks on the field or his name is called, they rip him to pieces in the articles they write. This does have an impact on how people, including other teams, see fatty. Therefore, my post was just to implicate fatty as a target for ridicule whom other teams, as well as our own management, have the impression that fatty (via the entertainment industry element of pro-sports) is sh't. Thus making him appear to be the dooshe he really is.

Get it now retard, if not, shut up

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | June 17, 2010 1:55 AM | Report abuse

If I may be allowed a kind word about Albert...

He drove Soccer discussions off this board.

Posted by: TheCork | June 17, 2010 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Post of the Day

Posted by: frak | June 16, 2010 6:02 PM |

Posted by: zcezcest1 | June 17, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworthless is Private Pile.

Time for the others to take action...

Posted by: stevebeagrie | June 17, 2010 3:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | June 17, 2010 1:08 AM

Exactly right.

While he has seen a different DC a couple times in Tennessee, he's had the same position coach (Jim Washburn--who's one of the best d-line coaches in football) and head coach (Jeff Fisher--one of the best HCs in the game) his entire career. So if that kind of stability is important to him then HE SHOULD HAVE TAKEN LESS MONEY TO STAY PUT!

For AH or anyone else to present his case as if he did anything but come to Washington for the money grab is nothing short of insulting the intelligence of anyone listening. It's completely preposterous. Nobody--and I mean NOBODY--leaves a stable franchise like Tennessee coming off a 13-win season to come to a place where they've had more coaching changes (7) than playoff berths (2) since Fisher was hired by the Oilers (yeah...he's been there THAT long) unless it's for the money. So for him to pitch a fit over the changes made is nothing short of ridiculous because stability isn't what he came here for...it's the $100 million.

Which he's got.

So just like Fletch said yesterday...if he's got a problem with the way things are to the point that he wants out, he needs to give back the money and take his chances elsewhere. Since he hasn't done that, we all know the kind of turd he REALLY is.

And if I'm Bruce Allen, the next guy I run outta town is DHall. I'm not sure what kind of fantasy land he's living in, but here in reality sticking up for AH when the team leaders are almost uniformly calling him out is borderline retarded. You either need to fall in line or STFU. Considering the amount of talking he's been doing this offseason, I'd opt for the latter. I hate our CB depth even with DHall, but if this guy is gonna be the mouthpiece for the most reviled Redskin since Deion Sanders, he's better off elsewhere.

This season needs to be about weeding out the poisonous personalities from the locker room, consequences be damned. And I'll take a year with a porous secondary or less D-line depth if it means harmony in the locker room.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 17, 2010 5:36 AM | Report abuse

Continue the purge for the betterment of the team…I’m all for that, but hasn’t Allen been doing that this year? I’ll bet there will be another turd floating in the bowl before the season starts.

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 17, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 17, 2010 6:21 AM

He has for the most part...but I think that was more about getting rid of big salary guys with minimal impact. Some of the guys with character issues have stayed thus far (AH, the addition of LJ). This year needs to be less about trying to throw together a SB team on the fly and more about addition by subtraction. We've seen what putting together a good FO and coaching staff, while purging divisive locker room influences can do for a team (see the 2008 Falcons) and I'm anxious to see the Skins stay the course and emphasize that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | June 17, 2010 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Roger that...This train's moving in the right direction now. Get on board if you want...If not, well...

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 17, 2010 6:36 AM | Report abuse

Anyone pinging the NFLPA on this AH mess. What’s the union’s take on yesterdays events and the reactions from the players?

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 17, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Oops should have read the prevous thread.

Posted by: camp_fodder | June 17, 2010 6:52 AM | Report abuse