Will JC Get Paid? Or ... When Will JC Get Paid?

As we've noted several times, if Jason Campbell keeps this up, he's going to get paid. He's signed through 2009, and depending on the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFLPA, he'd be either a restricted free agent (if there's an uncapped year) or an unrestricted free agent (if there's no uncapped year).

I say you get this thing done way before then, and give the guy some security. Wait until the bye week if you want, let him keep it up a half-season, but if you go into 2009 with this guy essentially in limbo, I think you end up costing yourself a lot of money, and some good will. You could try to do it in the offseason, and, again, assuming you are on the same page you have time to hammer it out before training camp. ... But if this kid manages to keep up anything close to what he's done these past three weeks, you're talking mega-bucks.

JC has been a model citizen, the consummate team guy, the hardest worker. He's endured a fair amount of instability and uncertainty since coming into the league, and has handled it with aplomb. He's won over teammates and brings no baggage with him. There are never any off-field concerns.

Jason has been open to a new deal for a long time, waiting for the call from the Skins. We shall see how much longer he'll have to wait.

Should the talks get going in 2008 -- and this is purely hypothetical here, just for information purposes only as I know some of you want all the details possible -- here's a little primer on in-season contracts (we haven't had many, or any, of these around here for a long time that I can think of, so I went to the NFL and NFLPA to make sure I had everything straight):

The Redskins would have to complete the deal by the end of the regular season in order to include this season in any proration from the new deal. Should the Redskins want any increase in 2008 salary for a player to count as salary in the current year, the deal would have to be completed by 4 p.m. on Nov. 3. Any notice of an increase in a player's 2008 salary declared to the NFL Management Council after Nov. 3 would be treated as a signing bonus.

The Redskins are currently about $2 million under the cap.

By Jason La Canfora  |  October 2, 2008; 8:15 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn's Place in History (Yes, It's Early)
Next: There's No Debate -- Let's Vote

Comments

First things first . . . thanks for the info Jesno

Posted by: Skins63 | October 2, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

JC is still fairly unproven at this point and he's just starting to shine. I think bringing Zorn in to school Campbell on the nuances of being an NFL quarterback and JC's familiarity with the WCO have been the best things to happen since he was drafted in '05.

The FO will probably sign him to a modest long term deal with multiple escalators at the end of the season. They probably don't want to break the bank until he gets an entire season under his belt.

Posted by: JinxMan | October 2, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

At some point you have to decide if this is your guy or not. I'm just not sure we are at that point just yet....

Posted by: Hail2theChief | October 2, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Scrolled through the comments from last night RE: the eagles blitzing us.... please o please I hope they do.

Split
G|Cmp|Att|Pct|Yds|Yds/Att|TD|Int|1st|Sck|Rtg
Blitz
4|29|41|70.7|338|8.2|1|0|18|2|103.5

The WCO takes away the blitz. The gmen got pressure with four and dropped the rest. A) They didnt give JC time and B) that had max coverage protection. So the little swing passes and screens that attack the blitzers didnt work.

So philly, please blitz... everyone!

Posted by: Zeebs | October 2, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Next post up will concern the blitz....

Posted by: Cindy Boren | October 2, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

From the Times, and I could NOT agree with this mindset more:

Running backs coach Stump Mitchell said the Redskins don't want Portis touching the ball 30 or more times in a game as he did eight times in 54 games under former coach Joe Gibbs. So far, Portis has had 23 touches in three games and 21 in the other.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Did I scoop the post there Cyn?

Posted by: Zeebs | October 2, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I think the skins have decided that they want JC to be the guy..hence the hiring of JZ. If JC keeps playing with poise and the leadership he has shown over that first quater of the year, the skins would have to identify him as a priority sigining this offseason. JC is a important to this team as Cooley, CP, Moss etc. He will deserve more than a modest contract.

Posted by: TWISI | October 2, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Funny how quickly you change JLC. And don't think they positive post change anything with me concerning you.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | October 2, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

JM220, Noone cares how you feel about JLC. Get over it.

As far as Mr. Soup, I think it's pretty clear that they think he's the longterm QB here. They brought in a coach just to work with him, and they have no back-up waiting in the wings to take over anytime in the next 2 seasons. I hope they wait until the November bye week though, so that they can get a larger body of work to analyze for this contract.

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

To those who think that JC may not be the guy and wait and see before resigning the kid. Regardless of what you think Danny and Vinny will resign him.

Remember the HC search? They had 2 things they were talking about in that coach seach on Offence, remember what they were? The coach had to know that Portis was a top back and that JC was the QB of the future.

They are gonna re-sign the kid no matter what the doubters think. Someone should try talking to Cerato and find out when, what he hopes to have in terms of a contract.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

is ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru the same as poster as Sports_Guru?

Also I am working on my first Smacktalk video directed at the eagles fans. I will post a link when its done (wont be till after work).

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Nah, I am NOT the Sports_Guru. I actually thought about changing the name after I read some of that guys comments, but I can't figure out how.

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

I think you can in Edit pref on the top of the screen.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Actually, guru if you're formerly sports-guru, no one cares what you think. You've proven yourself to be a fraud time and time again. Go play in traffic...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Man has this place slowed down.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Thats what winning will do, most of the people on here are haters.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 2, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Did you read that story I posted on the last thread?

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 2, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Get the deal done ASAP. I don't want to relive the Shuler, Frerotte, Friez, Green, George, Banks, Matthews, Wuerful, Hasselback years.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | October 2, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Flound, yeah, I read that, thanks for posting. I was a huge fan of Rick Reilly back when he wrote for SI, but I don't read him much now that he's writing for ESPN.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | October 2, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Portis will have more yards receiving than rushing this week.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | October 2, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I hope JC continues to grow and gets signed long term but we've been burned before. Wait till about week 9-10 then get it done. So far he's had a few good games in his 20 starts.

Posted by: Gweez | October 2, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I saw an the interview with Byron westbrook concerning his bros injury. The way it was reported here, at lest the way I read it yesterday sounded like they were saying that Byron had talked to Brian and from that deemed that he would not be playing. In the interview I saw Byron was saying that from watching him walk around the sidelines on TV he said he thought he wouldnt and hoped as a brother that he wouldnt play. So its not like the he was giving away any trade secrets just expressing his opinion as a family member.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 2, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Midseason feels like exactly the right time to open negotiations... keep it quiet, get it done, don't make it one of those dreaded "distractions"... I can't remember who Soup's agent is or how his rookie contract negotiation went, but he seems like the kind of guy who will want this to go smoothly. Get this wrapped up and that critical position is set.

(Something something uncapped year, huh? something something)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

REDneckSKINhead, I never thought I would find a handel funny and not funny at the same time.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Actually BeantownGreg, I just said that I am not the Sports_Guru. That guy is an idiot. I just happened to pick a bad moniker and now I don't know how to change it. Relax.

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Campbell's agent I think is Joel Segal. He represents Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Hall, and Glenn Dorsey. He gets big contracts for his clients, especially extensions.

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

JC will get re-signed, adding JZ to the mix shows the FO's confidence that he can be our guy. After they re-sign him, they need to start building both lines through the draft, not to mention adding youth to our LB's. I wonder if they'll trade out of the 1st round this year to get more picks.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | October 2, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

i'm sorry but this isn't summer and a filler post wasn't needed. such a bs post by jasno. absolutely ridiculous!

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

This kinda goes along with something people here have talked about but never gets praise or mention.

We don't have ANY off-field distraction kinda guys like almost every other team in the NFL. I swear it seems every year I fall back in love with the Redskins because of their work ethic and how they do things the right way. This is something we can all thank Mr. Joe Gibbs for!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | October 2, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Looking at the eagles roster I see a lot of holes to exploit I will bold them.

WR Jason Avant Hank Baskett Reggie Brown DeSean Jackson Greg Lewis

H Sav Rocca Jason Avant
KO David Akers
KOR Quintin Demps Lorenzo Booker J.R. Reed
PR DeSean Jackson Quintin Demps J.R. Reed
LS Jon Dorenbos Darren Howard

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

The D needs to gameplan as if Westbrook is gonna play, Some offensive thoughts: Betts and CP in the same backfield and maybe pass out of that formation obviously Sellers is on the sidelines.I think they can wait until the bye week to discuss Jason's contract but they need to get it done asap this kid is only going to get better no way you wait until next year and create an accrimonious situation. All the prognosticators are picking the Eagles,which in my opinion won't happen whether BW plays or not i think the "DC 11" get it in that they know whats at stake.

Posted by: dargregmag | October 2, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, CR_SG, Joel Segal/Blue Equity -- and lookie here, Soup is the first guy featured on their site (position of honor at the top left of their football page)...

Firm also represents LaRon...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 2, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@ Stu27

I think the post about Byron Westbrook mentioned that he had not talked to Brian since Sunday. To me, that kinda killed the whole idea that we were getting some inside information. If Byron hadn't talked to Brian since Sunday (when he wasn't playing) how could he know if Brian was any better now to play next Sunday?

Posted by: kjhealey | October 2, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Greg, right on.

I think that ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru, is in fact THE alleged sports_guru. Dude is just growing fat from all the crow he has been eating as of late. He exploded and now is reincarnated as ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru. I think you if you REALLY wanted to not include that title in your handle you could've.

You just can't admit that you were wrong.

For the record, I think this but I'm not saying it.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 2, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Truth we have 1, Chris Cooley, but he just did a stupid thing on a blog.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dspinx | October 2, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Couple quick points on JC and JT- 1) If we can give B. Lloyd, Archuleta and ARE $30 million contracts, we can pay the franchise, the future, the cornerstone of this organization for the next 8-10 years. I say something approaching Romo's big deal before season's end. Sure it's a bit of a gamble, but not as big of one as the aforementioned contracts which yielded us a punt returner and 2 disgruntled special teamers. He is the real deal. Lock him up. "You better lock it up. You lock it up!"

As for JT - the fact that they're even talking about him playing against PHI is great news given the morbid reports last week of possible amputation/nerve damage if he waited much longer on the surgery. With STL, CLE and DET up next, there's really no rush.

HTTR

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 2, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

beepers

Posted by: alex35332 | October 2, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Ok, Cindy, please tell me how to change my name. Apparently the stench of the actual Sports_Guru is too strong to get rid of.

Anyway, back to this week's game. I would take Byron W's word pretty strongly. They grew up together playing football, and I'm sure he's seen his brother hurt more than anyone in the world. Obviously, we still need to gameplan as if Brian were playing, but I think its less than 50% that he does.

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Is anyone else geeked that if the Skins win this weekend, we can potentially be 7-1 after the first half of the season? With 3 incredibly winnable games after Philly (Rams, Browns, Lions combined record of 1-10). If we lose, we will probably be 6-2. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but that would be a great start to the season.

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Word up to that Columbia. But one game at a time...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 2, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I think the 4th quarter play in games 2 and 3 sealed the deal for the FO in wanting JC to stick around here. Prior to those games, he had been developing a rep as a talent that did not have the intangibles to "win" games. Those two 4th quarters have changed that perception. I don't know when they will begin talks but I hope that they take a proactive approach to it. All that said, anybody know if there are any other WCO QB's coming on the free agent market or trade material after this season?

Posted by: dave64 | October 2, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ColumbiaRd_SportsGuru | October 2, 2008 9:04 AM

Lay off this poor guy, he is not me. If he was, he would be pointing out how wrong you guys are for going overboard for Jason Campbell after 3 games.

So there!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 2, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"JC has just made Eli Manning the worst QB in the NFC East ! How does it feel Eli ???"

I hate the Giants but that is sillyness. How does he feel? You mean when he looks at his Superbowl ring? The one his "4th place in the NFC East" playmaking got them? Eli Manning straight out balled in the playoffs last season and I'm sure he'd gladly be called the 32nd best QB in the league, as long as he got to hoist that trophy.

Posted by: BigRich1 | October 2, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

what the hell happened to the blog?????

and did i mention i hate this post!

danny's got work to do:

In his 22-page decision, U.S. District Judge Alexander Williams said the defendants had made "what appears to have been reasonable efforts" to accommodate the plaintiffs' claims and had resolved the "majority of issues initially raised."

But Williams said the team had not done enough, finding that ADA regulations require that "music with lyrics played at FedEx field be effectively communicated to deaf and hard of hearing fans."

"Defendants provide more than a football game; they also provide public address announcements, advertisements, music and other aural information to hearing fans at Fed Ex Field," he wrote. "Presumably, Defendants provide this aural information to hearing fans for a reason. This aural information is a good, service, facility, privilege, advantage, or accommodation. Without some form of auxiliary aid or service, Plaintiffs would not have equal access to this information."

Posted by: dealer1 | October 2, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

guys, if you are having problem finding the blog's head click on this link:

re-draft post