Posted at 12:08 PM ET, 12/ 2/2010

Artis Hicks benched for Will Montgomery

By Jason Reid

Veteran offensive lineman Artis Hicks, the Redskins' starting right guard since opening day, has been demoted in favor of backup Will Montgomery for the upcoming game against the New York Giants, Hicks said Thursday.

Hicks, slowed recently by thigh and groin injuries, was informed Wednesday that Montgomery, a backup guard-center, would start Sunday against the Giants at New Meadowlands Stadium. Montgomery started in place of Hicks, who was sidelined by his injuries, in the Week 11 overtime victory against the Tennessee Titans at LP Field.

Hicks returned to the starting lineup for the Week 12 loss to the Minnesota Vikings at FedEx Field, but was benched in the second quarter after struggling in pass protection. Addressing reporters after the game, Coach Mike Shanahan made it clear Hicks was benched for his performance.

"I worry about the things that I can control," Hicks said. "I played in the game, I controlled how I played, and I didn't play well enough. That part is on me.

"Ultimately, it's my own fault. That's the way I look at it and that's the way I'm handling it. I'll go out there and work hard and correct the technical things that I'm not doing well. And then, we'll see."

The versatile nine-year veteran is in the first year of a three-year contract. He has a base salary of $755,000 and also received a $1.05 million roster bonus. Montgomery has a one-year, $1.76 million contract.

Hicks was among four new starters on an offensive line that has struggled throughout the season.

The Redskins are 21st in offense (332.7 yards per game), 26th in rushing with a 90.7-yard average and last in third-down efficiency, converting only 27.5 percent of their attempts. Quarterback Donovan McNabb has been sacked 31 times - the league's second-highest total.

Hicks has had rough stretches, and "now I've got to go back and get back to fundamentals and correct the things that I'm messing up. That's all I can worry about. The rest is out of my hands."

Hicks's demotion is not the result of his injuries, he said.

"No. No excuses," he said. "You start looking for excuses, it turns a bad day into a worse day. I've just got to get back to playing good football."

By Jason Reid  | December 2, 2010; 12:08 PM ET
Categories:  Will Montgomery
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Offensive line clicking for Giants
Next: Clinton Portis on this week's surgery: 'It was a minor tuneup'

Comments

Bench the entire offensive line. At this point, who cares?

Sup, beans? Can't wait to see the look on LeBama's face tonight when him and his two jerkoff sidekicks get stomped in Cleveland.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

In general I appreciate our player's sense of accountability this year under Shanahan.

I have not heard many malcontent type, excuse filled, finger pointing statements from players who get benched, if any.

To me this shows that a proper culture of accountability has been brought to the organization and we are headed in the right direction.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

except TWill...

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

good for hicks in the way he's handling this..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Artis Hicks benched for Will Montgomery

Ahh, yes...

Another Shanallen offseason acquisition living down to expectations...

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Another Shanallen offseason acquisition living down to expectations..."

It's not like there was much out there Moe. Brown was not 100% when they traded for him, but I expect him to be better next year. Their best o-lineman is a rookie, that should tell you what you need to do in April.

Then having BMW go down to blood clots was huge. You can't fix all of Vinny's mistakes in one offseason. They went pretty deep.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 2, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

we're effed

59-28 giants

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 2, 2010 11:57 AM

Come on pabrian...I can't see the redskins ever giving up 59 points...not in my lifetime at least.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

yeah red, no kidding, lefrauds go get ambushed tonight.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins don't match up with NY on either side of the ball.

The Redskins OL is going to get manhandled.

The DL is going to get pushed off the ball in the middle and only on his few snaps will Haynesworth create any real pressure.

NY doesn't have half its receiving corps, so this won't be a high scoring game.

But NY will bludgeon the Redskins to death and the Redskins will turn the ball over on a sack/fumble or interception that will lead to the winning points in the end.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | December 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Normally I'd agree 100% but with both NYG starting WRS on the shelf and their dinged up O Line I am holding out a shred of hope that we can win.

If Keiland can run against the aggressive pass rush and McNabb can work the screen game for 20-24 points, we have a chance. Even if we do this we'll need a Banks TD and or at least 3 TOs and a TD by the Def to pull it out. Seemingly, Eli fits the profile of a QB we may be able to exploit for a few picks.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Can we PLEASE get a center off the street??!?!? Any center now starting in the Canadian or Arena leagues would be great. THANK YOU.

Posted by: wbbradb | December 2, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | December 2, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

wg, I'm not as optimistic...i think they're gonna run and run, and run, and run some more...I don't have any faith that Kyle/Mike will put together a game plan to counter the pass rush...I've not seen many adjustments that give me hope...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

so who is going to replace rabach once he gets benched? i guess i have to face the fact that he'll be our center the rest of the year, but after this year that has to be a top 3 priority for this team

Skins tailgate this sunday at the entrance of the footbridge on the side of the stadium look for burgundy and follow the smell of that Buddd

regardless of our less than 10% chance of winning this game, no oline, no running game, the giants will run about 5 yards a carry for the game, then on 3rd down manning will throw for a 1st down about 70% of the time they will get it
while on our 3rd down our guys will run 1-2 yards short of the 1st down like they have been for the past 5 yrs or so, i just dont get that

f da giants

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 2, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

find way to poison Giants pre-game meal.

haha, who knew cork had a sense of humor....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The problem with benching Hicks for Monty is who can we bench Rabach for now??

As far as the last threads comments....the tryanny of dull continues.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"Another Shanallen offseason acquisition living down to expectations..."
------

You can't fix all of Vinny's mistakes in one offseason. They went pretty deep.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 2, 2010 12:28 PM |
------

ray, in regards to moe's comments above, when peeps talk about the new FO, it seems cerrato's name will surface. I realize we have a cerrato hangover, but let there be no mistake, cerrato had nothing to do with ahicks and the trading of picks for older veterans, one of them coming off an injury that we're not sure will mend properly.

the drafting of twilliams was a no brainer, so I'm with moe

not a good start in the FO, HC seems to be getting some players attention, we'll be patient and see

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

___________________________

They will just move Montgomery from Guard to Center and put in either Dock or Hicks at Guard (since Dock only plays LG, they would move Corey to RG like before).

Posted by: VAfootball | December 2, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

You can achieve the same outcome you desire if you simply use "regardless."

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 11:49 AM

G'yeah......but 'irregardless' sounds much better.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I was reading an article about the Bears and it was talking about how they have played their best 3 games of the year in the last 3 weeks.

This statement made me wonder...what has been the Redskins best game this year?

I don't have an answer, because to me every game except the Eagles game has looked the exact same.

We look like what we are every week. An over matched roster (especially both lines) with a good coach and good effort.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | December 2, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

va, while that makes sense on the level, Shanny hates/wont play dock, see Lichtenstiger being out of football last year, then taking over the RG spot, while Dock can't even dress....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Ponder that as you brood and marinate in your pathetic existence while assuming blog=real life.

(total fu*king ownage)

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 11:36 AM |

this from a moron that thinks he owns everyone on the same blog he describes as fictitious.

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

He's trying to make us like his Cabbage Patch Doll collection at home: except the black dolls, he hung them from the end of his bunk bed.....

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The problem with benching Hicks for Monty is who can we bench Rabach for now??

As far as the last threads comments....the tryanny of dull continues.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The G-Spots have lost 2 of their last 3 and probably should have lost to J'Ville. This is yet another case of the Skins catching a team at the 'right' time. Yes, the G-Spots possess more overall talent, especially on both of their lines, but they are actually worse in the WR department than the skins and E-Coli Manning is prone to being erratic if he can be hit early. Kevin Boss has become Manning's security blanket and he's seemingly forever open in the middle. Fletch showed that he can cover a huge TE (Shancoe) deep down field at times so I like that match up.

If the Skins' OL can replicate they level of play they demonstrated in the Titans game, they have a shot at this.

Outside of that, we're facing a team with thoughts of home field advantage on their minds and this could make the game after the death of Wellington Mara look close.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

'They will just move Montgomery from Guard to Center and put in either Dock or Hicks at Guard'

so basically you're saying, as i have been, they should've just benched rabach instead of hicks for now,

what a cluster f u c k

Posted by: retroskins14 | December 2, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

It's not like there was much (tackles) out there

Well, let's see. They passed on:

Pashos, Clifton, L Jones

They chose not to overpay servicable veteren offensive linemen to burn a draft pick on a guy coming off an injury.

We need the picks more than the money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

The O-line that ended up finishing the game against the Titans should start against the Giants, my God it can't be any worse then what we saw last Sunday.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Texans in the upset tonight.

Skins in the upset on Sunday.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

We need the picks more than the money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 12:55 PM

Thought we just swapped picks for Brown...and nearly everyone said it was a great deal!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The Skins can beat the Giants. Our secondary is very good, and should be able to control the Gints. Our front 7 should be able to do a decent job on the Gints running game. I agree the big battle is gonna be with our O line. But this will be a close game, and we can win it.

Posted by: kenboy1 | December 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | December 2, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:00 PM |

Everyone loves what they have yet to see regarding this team.

Once they see what they've been clamoring for....and it sucks....they crush the FO.

It's as predictable a dive ass posting from shessone.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

You can achieve the same outcome you desire if you simply use "regardless."

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 11:49 AM

G'yeah......but 'irregardless' sounds much better.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Look at all this irregardlessness going on! This is irrediculous!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Look at all this irregardlessness going on! This is irrediculous!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:05 PM

Told you today would be fun...not as fun as I thought...but still fun...and its about time for the Great Oz to make his appearance from his mid-day nap!

I'm ready for another dive ass beep!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"Our front 7 should be able to do a decent job on the Gints running game"

ken, did you watch the last game, when with over 6 minutes left the Vikes just ground the front 7 to a nub....with Toby Gearhart..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Look at all this irregardlessness going on! This is irrediculous!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:05 PM

I'm ready for another dive ass beep!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I hope he gets here soon, I want my afternoon fry-snack. I wonder how many DIVE ASS posts from us it'll take for him to disregard the ITA and talk to us? Let's start the over under at 5, I'll say over......

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

playaction

Even if we swapped picks, the saints come out on top as we're the ones who need a right tackle, not a lower round pick.

Plus, if I'm right, Brown will be due another contract at the end of the season.

So, do you re-up a guy who's yet to recover from hip surgery and has an injury history with his previous team?

I dunno.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

playaction

I dunno.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I dunno.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 1:20 PM

At the time everyone thought it was a great move...but had concern that he may not be 100% this year. That has been the case. I think he is under contract for another year maybe two...I can have my sock puppet monk811 check on that.

Dive Ass Beeps Peeps!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Look at all this irregardlessness going on! This is irrediculous!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 1:05 PM

Perfect sarcasm, love it!

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

What people fail to remember is BIG MIKE was suppose to start there befoer he got hurt in offseason..

Posted by: cocodc1 | December 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I would disagree with those who think Hicks was a bad pickup. Actually, quite the opposite. Fact is that he isn't supposed to be - and never has been - a true starter. If we hadn't ignored the line up until this year's draft, Hicks wouldn't have had to start in 2010. Hang in there, Artis. Love the accountability.

Posted by: SkinsFanNYC | December 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

the drafting of twilliams was a no brainer, so I'm with moe

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Co-signing, but wonder when DMS loses his patience. Next year? I used to think three year plan, now it's four possibly five years, counting this one.

Posted by: Pepper5 | December 2, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

i still maintain that Heyer should have been in that spot he is a far better guard....

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"At the time everyone thought it was a great move...but had concern that he may not be 100% this year. That has been the case. I think he is under contract for another year maybe two..."

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 1:30 PM

I'm pretty sure that he's working under the one year tender that was offered to him as a restricted free agent last off-season. The one advantage of him not playing so well this season is that if the 'Skins decide to bring him back next season in the hope that he will be healthier, it shouldn't be too expensive.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | December 2, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | December 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Can winthis game.. Keys are pound the ball, create turnovers, find way to poison Giants pre-game meal.

Posted by: TheCork | December 2, 2010 12:38 PM"

Far less criminal and nearly as effective...get Visine in the Giants' Gatorade & water.

That should induce a nice case of the runs. And not the kind that result in yardage or TDs, either.

...Of course the Giants' equipment manager will put a hit out on whomever does it...lol.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | December 2, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Montgomery play C and Heyer play G? We need to get Rabach off the field. Having him next to Lichensteiger is just a huge liability.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 3, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

"I realize we have a cerrato hangover, but ... Cerrato had nothing to do with Hicks and the trading of picks for older veterans, one of them coming off an injury that we're not sure will mend properly."

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Besides McNabb, who did they trade picks for?

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | December 2, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

This is not true.

For McNabb, they traded a second and third-round picks in the 2010 and 2011 drafts, respectively. Their 2010 3rd round pick was used to select Jarmon in the 2009 supplemental draft.

Additionally, they got a 2nd round pick for Campbell and traded their 5th round pick for 6th and 7th round picks.

Like McNabb or not, the Redskins needed him to compensate for the weakness in their pass protection. He plays better than Campbell- Yeah, go ahead and lecture me with statistics. I prefer to watch the games. With the protection and recievers McNabb is afforded, there aren't many other QBs that could do better.

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | December 3, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

It depends on the inertia of the the opposing defensive tackles. Minnesota's DTs would plow through Heyer.

Posted by: jboogie1 | December 3, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

montgomery for hicks is NO upgrade he gets destroyed at the line of scrimmage just like the other so-called interior line-man. there is not one interior o-lineman on washington that can block any of the giants DT's some of you are crazy enough to think washington has a chance to win, well they don't look for them to give up 35+ points this week and get steamrolled up front injured wr's or not.

Posted by: wathu19 | December 3, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Why the hell do people keep saying our secondary is good? Look at the completion percentage of most of the teams that play us. We keep making average QBs look like a Joe Montana come-back. I'm tired of seeing our secondary playing 10 yards off the receiver then whiffing at the tackle as the guy runs by them. Is it me, or has the tackling actually gotten worse? We're letting running backs run over us and push us into the end zone. I'm hating this team!

Posted by: jfoster13 | December 4, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse