Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 11/29/2010

For Washington Redskins, questions at right guard

By Rick Maese

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan placed a question mark at the right guard position when he pulled Artis Hicks from the game in favor of Will Montgomery on Sunday.

Hicks hasn't blown away coaches this year, and it's unclear who might start at right guard this weekend's game at the New York Giants. Coaches have yet to inform the players.

"I haven't talked to them since the game," Montgomery said Monday. "Your guess is as good as mine right now."

Filling the spot will be one of the week's bigger questions. The Giants boast one of the league's best pass rushes. With 31 sacks, they're tied for fifth in the NFL. And having allowed 32 sacks through 11 games, the Redskins' offensive line is tied for fifth-worst.

Montgomery says he feels more comfortable running Shanahan's zone blocking scheme. He was active for all 16 games last season and started three. He was inactive for the Redskins' first three games this season, but leap-frogged Derrick Dockery because of his versatility. He's been active for the past eight games and had his first start at Tennessee, when Hicks was held out due to injury.

"I think I'm definitely able to run this type of offense," Montgomery said. "It's a little more of a speed-type offense. That's the kind of offense that I've always liked to run. Whenever they call my name, I'll be ready."

He's proven to be a reliable reserve, if nothing else. On Sunday, he spelled Hicks when coaches wanted a change at guard. A week earlier in Tennessee, Montgomery filled in for an injured Casey Rabach at center. He doesn't prefer one spot over another -- he just likes being on the field.

"I don't think I really have a choice. Just wherever they put me," he said. "Either guard or center -- whenever they call my name, I'll be ready to go."

By Rick Maese  | November 29, 2010; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  Will Montgomery
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Washington Redskins are struggling at home, and fans let them know it
Next: Texans-Titans fight gets Redskins' attention

Comments

The Redskins are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get.

Posted by: charley42 | November 29, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: charley42 | November 29, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about his age or history.

But I would love to see Ricky Williams as a redskin.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2010 12:18 PM

Why? What's he bring to the table that two dozen other running backs don't also bring?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 29, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

The GOOD marijuana man.........I get FIRST Puff!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 29, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Will is a better Center then he is a RG. With all that siad we have no depth on the line and whatever they can do, they do it with smoke and mirrors as they have one legimate starting OL in 71. Everyone is a backup at best.

Posted by: dpshultzfam | November 29, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Not sure whether you've been paying attention but in the offensive blocking scheme under new management, they want lighter faster offensive linemen and Derrick Dockery is repeatedly a healthy scratch.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 12:59 PM |

I question your reading comprehension ability as I mentioned in the very first line of my post that I have watched more than a lot of football this year.

See if you can understand this:

I couldn't care less what our OL scheme is. That's for dooshbags that think they are smarter than the HC or OC. What this team lacks is talent in terms of personnel. Talent. Personnel. Talent. Personnel.

When you have that, you can run whatever the fu*k you want!

I'm tired of the toolboxes here who question scheme and play calling etc. With talented personnel, you can draw a play in the freaking dirt and be successful more often than not.

Book that upside your fatass face.

PS - Dockery doesn't make your case. He's too busy taking his grand-kids to school genius! Carter is as healthy and in-shape as anyone on the team. The dude can't play.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

and somehow dock isn't talented enough to even dress....ufb...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 29, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd draft: center, right guard, right tackle (one player who can play both center/guard would be a winner)

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2010 1:07 PM

Moe, this guy runs a 4.88 40 ... and is a 6'9" OT.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The Bucs just dropped one of the Wild Card spots due to......

Cody Grim just got put on I.R.

We back in the mix.....Optimisim Bus still has a gallon in the tank....we gotta coast and tap on the gas while heading up 95 this week....but we make it to the new MEadowlands....when we get their...it's up to the players...

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

To Monk811: Yeah, yeah, yeah.... I saw the players on the sideline trying to get their teammates fired up. How'd that work for them? You had no comment about the rest of my post saying that I like the coach's disciplinarian approach - I really do. But when you have an over the hill squad - we are the oldest squad in the league - you do have to appeal to the warrior in them and get them fired up. What's wrong with a coach calling a timeout, getting his team gathered around him on the sideline and asking them for more? What the heck is wrong with that?

Yeah they're grown ups, they get paid well, but that in and of itself is sometimes a problem. This coach asks for a lot of accountability for his players in practice, their conditioning, their knowledge of the plays etc. - as well he should. He also does a good job of placing the blame squarely on the players whenever ANYTHING AT ALL GOES WRONG. He's got to be accountable to them in some way. REAL LEADERSHIP goes both ways. I wonder if you realize that, 811?

The great coaches know this and know how to appeal to their guys. The others just get into verbal shoving matches with them in the media. It's time to show some faith in the guys you have. If the coach doesn't believe in them, then they WILL NOT BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES!

Posted by: BenThere | November 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

To BenThere: I purposely didn't comment on the last part of your post because I had already addressed it. But, I'll say it again cause obviously you are 'slow'!

"What do you want him to do, suit up and go play?"

A coach can only do so much to motivate the players. IT'S UP TO THE PLAYERS to get motivated. Not every game is like some movie, like 'Win one for the Gipper!', and if you think that, you should obviously stop watching football and get another hobby, I think Barbie collecting would be good for you!

So now you want to waste a timeout to give them a pep talk??? This all should have been done BEFORE THE GAME. You don't think the WHOLE TEAM already knew they were in deep sh*t and should have gotten their heads outta their azz when it was 14-0 before McNabb even attempted a pass? Come on Ben, get real, calling a timeout for the coach to yell at them would not have mattered.

REAL LEADERSHIP is what Fletch and McNabb were TRYING to do. Do you honestly think the Shannahan's were giving up??? They had on their faces the EXACT look that the rest of Redskins Nation had: the look of disbelief! That was a once in a lifetime game and circumstance, the Eagles, especially Vick, were all in a zone, nothing we did would have turned that around or changed the outcome. REAL LEADERSHIP is going out there and playing by example and never giving up, but you should understand REAL LEADERSHIP, don't they teach that at Burger King? Oops, that's beep's joke! We'll just say you work in sanitation, cause the sh*t you just spewed straight up stinks!!!

Posted by: monk811 | November 29, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

4th, stop...just stop...I'd rather discuss Antonio Pierce than what you're suggesting....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 29, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Which way will the gnome face after Sunday's game?

Posted by: giantsgnome | November 29, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I thought the Optimism Bus was in the shop??? Pabrian2003 has the Pesimism Pinto gased up and ready to go, better tell him to shut her down till next week....

Posted by: monk811 | November 29, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

4th- Now that the late fall chill is in the air, we've got to get me, you, and sween together to sip some 1738, and not boo the team...

Posted by: 4-12 | November 29, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

dcsween

this guy runs a 4.88 40 ... and is a 6'9" OT.

Good size and being a three year starter helps.

Thing is, would a 6'9" tackle obscure the quarterback's vision or be too susceptible to 6'2" rush ends?

We'll look for this kid at the Senior Bowl.

The Senior Bowl and the televised practices is where you can get a good look at linemen prospects.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Depending on where the Skins fall in the draft, I don't think we go center in the 1st round. You don't pick a center, unless he is a complete stud, in the top 15 picks. The only O linmen that go at that time is Tackles. And most of them are Left Tackles.

We need another Right tackle for insurance, but I think Jammal Brown gets resigned. When healthy he is great.

So if we get a top 15 pick, I don't see us going Center. I see us doing that in the 2nd round. I think we get a WR, QB, Pass rusher, corner, or D tackle. If AJ Green is still on the board, we will take him. If Julio Jones is on the board, got 2 take him. If Ryan Mallett is on the board, you must think about taking him. Its very rare to see rookie centers, most centers are vets. We are not going to reach for a O linemen.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 29, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

That's doable 4-12.....if we win on Sunday, I can host the following week or some other Sunday in December..

TB had the inside track and are about to start tumbling.

Our best hope now is to either have the PAckers and/or/both Bears to go on a December/January losing streak.

Just saying, not proclaiming anything. But I am still optimistic until this game....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

redskinhead

Why? What's he (Ricky Williams) bring to the table that two dozen other running backs don't also bring?

He's a low cost replacement for Clinton Portis.

He has more foot speed than Ryan Torain and doesn't get hurt--something you can't say about Torain.

He hits a hole with force and speed in a way the best backs in league do.

Just check out the 44 yard run Williams had against the raiders yesterday if you think I'm making my points up.

Because of his history and how the dolphins use him, he looks like he has 2-3 seasons left in the tank.

Ricky Williams is not Larry Johnson or Willie Parker.

And if he's availiable and I'm a GM, I'd sign him.

He's still good.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Which way will the gnome face after Sunday's game?

Posted by: giantsgnome | November 29, 2010 1:27 PM

After you remove it, wash it off, including the vaseline, I would guess it would have been facing toward your right hip.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

people are saying first round is too high to pick center or guard. if that's the case, trade down for more picks/players. don't spend the pick on "the best talent available". we need OL help.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 29, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

1st round - Nose Tackle
2nd round - Interior O Lineman

Posted by: zjenks | November 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

We need O line help...But we also need talent. If we are in position to get a talented WR, D tackle, pass rusher, or even QB, we have to do it. There will be good centers in the 2nd round. We don't have the luxury to trade down, we need to get the best talent, cause we don't have much of it.

Posted by: roccoskins | November 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 29, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

True, but we need a NT and WR just as bad as we need a RG and LG. I think with decent guards around him that Rabach could play at a higher level, so Center can wait a year or 2. If we can trade down in the 1st and gain a 2nd or 3rd then I say do it! Big time WR in the 1st RD, a big azz NT in the 2nd, and with the other pick we got from trading down we could get a LG or RG, cause hopefully we already picked up a stud like Mankins in FA a month earlier so we'd only need one of those guard spots.

Posted by: monk811 | November 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

MAurice Pouncey....Center Selected in the 1st Round

Samoan Gaurd Dude (Lupati?)....Drafted in the top half of the 1st round this year....

But continue arguments that don't make sense.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

are there any good linemen named "williams" available in the draft...?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 29, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | November 29, 2010 1:40 PM

Agreed.

As much as we need O line. We probably should not be looking O line in round 1. I think we are looking at QB (to play behind McNabb for a year or two), OLB or NT/DE. I vote for QB if the right guy is sitting there.

With any luck, we can swap positions with somebody in round 2 and pick up a 3 or 4. Use those on O line C/G types. We basically need all new lines on both sides of the ball, but O line is more desperate. Of course, it ALL depends on what we do with FA in the off season before the draft.

Sadly, we are short on picks again this year and there are sooo many holes...

I hope Cooke and Capers get some playing time this year so we can see where they are headed. I would be VERY helpful if one of them could step into a starting role next year and play well.

We need to get lucky.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Another case where scheme (my way or highway) doesn't match talent. Lichenwhatever is weak to say the least. So is Rabach. Throw in a career back up in Hicks and you got the slowest, weakest OL in the league. That will get you 50 yards rushing and 5 sacks a game. Our talent sucks, but we don't use the little talent we have. What good is it changing schemes if the players you have playing it wont be around to master it. Scheme what talent you have now and draft the talent you match your scheme for the future.

Posted by: edavis291 | November 29, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"As much as we need O line. We probably should not be looking O line in round 1."

This statmenet is why we have been F***** for so long. No we need good olineman. If you have to take them in the first then thats the price you and everyone else pays.

If you dont like paying that price then bring in Matt Millen...

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Redskins break out the Wildcat formation

Nothing like following trend after the whole league has moved on.

Teams now know how to defend the wildcat, so employing Banks to run it is, well, kinda too much too late.

I mean, if you're a defender and see Banks line up at quarterback, do you think he's going to drop back 7 steps and hit McNabb running deep along the sideline?

It still works for the dolphins as they have two solid backs--R Brown/R Williams--to confuse and take advantage of defensive lapses once they run the play.

Brown can also throw the ball, so it works for them.

And I doubt it'll ever work for us.

Get Banks on the field in the slot in 3-4 wide sets and let him run crossing or seam routes.

That's the best use for himout side of returns.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 29, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Nick Mangold (Jets) was a first round center and started as a rookie (and has been a stud). Markice Pouncey (Steelers) was a first round center and has since become the starting (rookie) center. I figure that the difference between a center and a guard isn't huge, but PersonalFowl will oblige us with a correction of me on that.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

We need rodney hudson!!!! He could be our stud day 1 starter

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 29, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

There is a 0.0% chance that Shanny/Allen pick anyone other than a QB.

"Zerooooo point zeroooo."

Much like Blutarsky's G.P.A:

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through a draft, son.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

There is a 0.0% chance that Shanny/Allen pick anyone other than a QB in the first round in April's draft.

"Zerooooo point zeroooo."

Much like Blutarsky's G.P.A:

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through a draft, son.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

But continue arguments that don't make sense ...

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 1:55 PM

This is why I've returned.

Moe, re following trends v starting one, maybe Skins should start running four receiver sets that include two tight ends and two receivers? I'll call the reads: (1) Moss on the slant, (2) Cooley coming the other way in the middle but a little deeper, (3) Davis on the other side but a little deeper than Cooley, and (4) Armstrong in the end zone.

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

If you dont like paying that price then bring in Matt Millen...

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 2:02 PM

I think you're wrong.

We are not F***'d because we didn't use our #1 picks on O line. We're screwed because we used practically NO picks on O line for a very long time, and burned too many of our picks on bad trades.

Wouldn't it be amazing if we had...like...5 or 6 first round picks? Then it would be easy to be a GM!

Try to be a little more creative. Why don't you believe a starting caliber Guard or Center can be found in rounds 2,3,4,5? Look around the NFL, most G's and C's come from the middle rounds.

We used our #1 pick last year on O line for an LT. Good pick. That's typically where you get a starting LT. We need game changers! They mostly come in round 1.

I do agree with you that we need good O linemen, but we have sooo many needs, it would be short sighted to reach for a Center in the first round that could have been gotten in round 2 or 3, and pass up a game changing OLB, NT or future starting QB.

We need those as well.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

if Hicks is hurt, neither, Heyer is a better guard and Montgomery is a better center. This time the genius coaches failed. The team will run the ball better with Monty an Center and Heyer at guard

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | November 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Fa signing
WR- Vjax
DE- someone looking for there 2nd contract, no more retirement signings
OL- gaurd from GB is gonna be unrestricted

Draft
1 johnathan baldwin/julio jones both big play wideouts
2 og rodney hudson, trade up for him if we have to
5 d line
6cb/wr
7lb/cb/fs

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 29, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

In 09' two Centers went in the first round. Alex Mack and Eric Wood(lou). Mack is now the starter for the Browns.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good 4th.

Also, I believe the phrase I'm looking for now is...beep beep, new post.

Posted by: 4-12 | November 29, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Fa signing
WR- Vjax
DE- someone looking for there 2nd contract, no more retirement signings
OL- gaurd from GB is gonna be unrestricted

Draft
1 johnathan baldwin/julio jones both big play wideouts
2 og rodney hudson, trade up for him if we have to
5 d line
6cb/wr
7lb/cb/fs

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | November 29, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 2:08 PM |

I don't have to - you just proved my (and most everyone here) points for me.

You just compared the Skins needs to Pittsburgh's and NE's? Seriously? Are you going to stick with that comparison?

I am going to hazard a guess that the Washington Redskins have only a few more personnel issues than the Steelers and Patriots that require more attention in the first round than some stud C or G.

The only linemen that should even be considered over the next 10 years with the 'Skins are going to be left tackles, pass-rushing DE's or DT's.

That's it, that's the list.

Maybe if we have a team full of players like the Steelers or the 'Pats we can fill gaps on our O-Line with a top-tier C or G. That said, get back to me on that in 2015 Norman Einstein.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 2:19 PM

Yup.

And in '09 we had Samuels, and Randy Thomas. In fact, in '09 I campaigned for us to take Alex Mack (would you trade Mack for Orakpo today? I wouldn't).

We have too many needs.

Our D is dead last. It's slow, and not very skilled. We have maybe a 2 year window on McNabb before we need a franchise QB. We are paper thin at WR and RB. Our D line now stinks as bad as our O line, and we have no true, dominant 3-4 OLB's (sorry Orakpo is a pass rushing DE trying to play LB...)

I LOVE the idea of building the O line. Truly. But more than an O line - what we really need from this draft is excellent VALUE at all picks.

At the pace we're going, we will be picking in the top 10-15 in each round. Do you really think the best value pick at #13 in the first round will be a: LB, QB, NT, DE, CB, WR, C or G? 'Cause we need all of these.

I don't think C or G make that list. Round 2 maybe.

Posted by: edvar | November 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

@Monk811: Uh huh. There you go again

Posted by: BenThere | November 29, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

this team has very little talent the d-line is un-athletic slow and weak none of them are no more than 3rd string these guys are NOT starters, o-line horrible unless this team makes major changes thru free agency and what-ever picks they have look for another 3-5 wins. haslett needs to go along with rabach the team would get a little better from those subtractions. moss is another dude who must be traded or released.

Posted by: wathu19 | November 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse