Will Shanahan take the Redskins back to Carlisle?

One of the more interesting things that new head coach Mike Shanahan revealed Wednesday is that he prefers hitting the road for training camp, something the Redskins haven't done since 2002.

"I've done it both ways," Shanahan said. "I've had more success going outside because the Super Bowls that I've been with -- the championship teams I've been with -- most of the time we went out to camp."

So are the Redskins researching that option? It doesn't seem like Shanahan would've broached it in quite that manner if the possibility didn't come up in discussions with team owner Daniel Snyder and general manager Bruce Allen.

A spokesperson for Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., the longtime home of Redskins' training camp, said today that they've received no inquiry from the team. Christine Dugan, the school's director of media relations, did say in an email that "Dickinson is certainly open to discussion (and terms that would be mutually beneficial)."

The Redskins held their training camp in Carlisle from 1963-94, before moving to Frostburg, Md., for five years. Training camp was held at Redskins Park in Ashburn in 2000 but Marty Schottenheimer returned it to Carlisle for the 2001 season and it remained there in 2002 seasons. Coming from the college game, Steve Spurrier saw no reason to hit the road for training camp, and in 2003 he returned it to Ashburn, where it's been held ever since.

"I kind of enjoy going away if you can get the right environment," Shanahan said. "You've got to have the right fields, you've got to have the right facility, you've got to have the right meeting rooms, and if that's possible, I would like to go to a camp. But I'm not sure if that's possible because you've got to have a quality field, and you've got to be able to have meeting rooms. We'll look into that and do the best thing for the Redskins."

By Rick Maese  |  January 7, 2010; 5:12 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan on quarterbacks: an early look
Next: Hit the links: Redskins-Broncos trades; Brees speaks out

Comments

Anyone watch LeFevour last night in the GMAC Bowl?

He's probably a 3-4 round pick

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 5:14 PM

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can draft Snead and trade him for someone name Jurgensen

It worked once before

Vuja Da

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 5:11 PM

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Random beeped thought:

After hearing some sports FM shmo talk about "not drinking the kool aid" and "wanting to be encouraged by Shanallen but think
Snyder's not done meddling yet", it has occurred to me that there has never been a better opportunity for Dan to go hands off.

If Shanallen were to make a drastic move that undercut previous strategies such as cut or trade 92 in an uncapped year or sign JC to a 3 year extension before FA, Dan could simply point his finger at Vinny and claim "I'm more hands off than people think" to avoid the embarrassment. But if things continue as they have, it will have to come back to him eventually.

This opportunity for him might never come again.

As for QBs, I hear that he kept his desire to draft Cutler a secret from his own staff, so I doubt we'll be privy to his real designs until after this April. But I like dealer's "scold your own" theory.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 7, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of the 'Skins getting out of Ashburn for training camp. I hope Shanny carries through with that.

Posted by: manlius1 | January 7, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Last year there was talk about trying to take it to Virginia Beach. That's a great idea. Nothing to do there but play football, right?

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

back to Frostburg, baby.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 7, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Ah...No...

You have to plan for these things ahead of time...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Another change I predict Shanny will make: New uniforms. He did it in Denver.
There's even an off-chance that he and BA will convince Snyder to change the team's name to the Skins, eliminating the Native American mascot/logo, replacing it with something like feathers or the old arrow. In today's PC world, it's not a question of 'if' but 'when.'

Posted by: chris_zz | January 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

having gone to school in carlisle, I vote carlisle although since the Skins left the restaurant with Hotchie burgers closed. One of the best burgers ever

Posted by: connskins | January 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Well played noone, well played.

Love this idea - getting everyone away for training camp can help build a team atmosphere - you might think that grown men wouldn't need to go to summer camp anymore, but in many cases, are we really dealing with people that are true adults yet?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | January 7, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | January 7, 2010; 5:12 PM ET

VEGAS!!!!!

p.s. THIS would be sign of real autonomy ... my bet is that neither Dicksonson or U of M/Frostburg would charge, much less let anyone else charge, for parking.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Also, it gets hotter than ... well, hotter than Tampa gets cold ... in August in Ashburn. Seems more productive to head to the mountains. Fresh air (vs Times Square), the chores (vs the stores), that type of thing.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Ah...No...

You have to plan for these things ahead of time...

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 7, 2010 5:22 PM

... or have gobs of money ... didn't The Owner make an offer to build facilities in Virginia Beach?

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

LS, a little late, I know, but my wife just sent me this list courtesy of the onion. Take two of #5 and call me in the morning...

Hangover Cures
The holidays are a traditional time for overindulgence in alcohol. Here are some of the more common hangover cures:

1. Take a shower; it will feel pretty good, and when you throw up in there, you have less cleaning to do
2. Side two of Billy Joel's The Nylon Curtain
3. Upon waking up, text "ughhhhhh" to anyone you saw the night before
4. Smoke every salvageable cigarette dangling from ashtray
5. Percocet, fresh-squeezed orange juice, The Wire
6. Smash some raw eggs on the ground. It will not help your hangover, but it's fun, and the most important thing in life is fun
7. Beat self up over missed chances, lost opportunities, broken promises; eat more pie
8. Inject electrolyte solution directly into each cell that hurts

Posted by: RomoLongballs | January 7, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

"Another change I predict Shanny will make: New uniforms. He did it in Denver.
There's even an off-chance that he and BA will convince Snyder to change the team's name to the Skins, eliminating the Native American mascot/logo,"

Or maybe Buckskins or Warriors..(The Virginian or "CAN YOU DIG IIIIIIT!!!!")..oi...

Posted by: frak | January 7, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I read this part too fast ... but it does confirm my response to 4th Floor ...

"... Dickinson is certainly open to discussion (and terms that would be mutually beneficial)."

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Changing names, logos, sucks. See where the country is today because of all the PC crapola. Only one side seems to be able to a word in. I believe that a poll i saw a few years ago that the majority of American Inidans thought that it was ok to use the title "REDSKINS", but a few PC-er's just want to keep bring it up.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Splitting the difference, keeping the logos, shifthing the name ... Redflints

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: connskins | January 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The Hamilton Restaurant lives on. They got bought by somebody else. The hotchee is alive and well. I was just there not too long ago. The hotchee dogs are great too.

Hamilton Restaurant
717-249-4410

BTW, I would love to see the Skins come back up here.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

They should do it here in Cheyenne. Talk about no distractions...even the antelope are committing suicide

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

if it were the buckskins, would the logo be a deer or a $ sign?

Posted by: chris_zz | January 7, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Shanny stick it to Denver and grab Kyle Orton... Best Restricted Free Agent QB out there..
4th Qtr less than 7 min situational = 106 QB rating. As we say in Beantown..he's a leadah.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I got the opportunity to hang with the skins at Carlisle the year they won their last super bowl. I hope they go back and foster team spirit. It will also be a good way for everyone to know that ish done changed now that Shanny is in town.

Posted by: Gweez | January 7, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I know the name change debate has flared up on RI many times before and that it is a topic that brings out strong emotions, but if the team name is changed, I propose it be changed to "Potomacs" which was one of the local NA tribes in the DC/MD/VA area. The team logos, etc. could remain the same (though I would love to see a return to the historical Burgandy and Gold colors and away from the "Mustard and Ketchup" colors the team currently wears).

Posted by: manlius1 | January 7, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Use of the word "MEDIUM" on this site is no longer allowed. Henceforth any poster using that word will be forced to log off until 1 Jan 2011, eat chicken poop...

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 7, 2010 5:11 PM

Changing names, logos, sucks. See where the country is today because of all the PC crapola. ..., but a few PC-er's just want to keep bring it up.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 7, 2010 5:34 PM

Welcome to the blog. Got any more rules? Up here, we've been looking for people to tell us what we can or can't post for a while. You sound perfect for the job ... the position ... the dictatorship ...

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The curly R and the R with a circle around it are key. That's why the team should change its name to honor the late Sean Taylor ... the Reapers.

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

With all the stuff that has happened over the years, and given our status within the league, the team should be the Washington WakaWakas

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 7, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

What if we just changed the color of the guy in the logo to a lighter shade...we can say its a sunburned white guy

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 7, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"The curly R and the R with a circle around it are key." -- dcsween

Agree, and with Potomacs, the "R" could become a "P" without much difficulty. The look would remain very consistent.

Posted by: manlius1 | January 7, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

dcsween post 5:41...No thanks. that position has already been filled at the domed house.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 7, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Careful, sween, you may be dealing with either a happy trucker or a hippie trekker... don't say you weren't warned.

Also, panties.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I think when Shanny starts watching the film on Campbell, the first thing he'll notice is the number of times Campbell got hit by a guy who came in untouched or was barely grazed.

A lot of the pass pro issues weren't about guys getting overwhelmed, it was that guys didn't know who to block.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

VEGAS!!!!!

Posted by: dcsween | January 7, 2010 5:24 PM |
======================================

Good thing I read the thread, BECAUSE I WAS ABOUT TO POST VEGAS, BABY!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

we've already had two years of "MEDIUM" and how has the worked for us? Juse saying.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Washington Warriors... book it.

The curly R will be retired. Going the Nats one better, the new logo will be two interlocking curly W's. And it will be an eyesore. Book it.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Take it to my alma mater, Shepherd U in Shepherdstown, WV...thye just put the final touches on a brand new stadium, and its tucked away in the mountains, and not alot of access there....similar to Frostburg, and they would love it, I'm sure. Make em the Sheptown Skins!

Posted by: ATLCherokee | January 7, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I think the move to an off-site is perfect. Everyone goes....EVERYONE GOES...not just the rookies.

I wonder what CP would think of that. Nothing to do when you decide to skip practice when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere

Posted by: CheyenneWY | January 7, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

No to anything that has to do with changing the name/logo/colors of the team. Didn't the skins just win a court battle over this?

Posted by: Moose33 | January 7, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

zeke, I agree with everything you said here about lousy pass protection and on the last thread about Zorn's tinkering with his mechanics, but I have to wonder whether Shanny is going to have the same, ah, indulgent understanding when he watches all of Soup's tape.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I like that Shanny is thinking about moving camp. Guys are going to have to get accustomed to things being different.

He's setting the tone he thinks is right for the team. Whether he does the move or not, I like the idea of shaking things up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

hmmmmmmmm...."Hail to the Warriors, Hail victory"...
(It might work)

The bad logo in general is a lock.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 7, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

or, Shanny will see a QB that cant feel the rush or possess the peripheral vision of an outside blitz..?
==================

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 5:47 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 7, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Soup stays until they find someone better.

(but I'm betting that Allennnahan will make it happen sooner, rather than later)

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 7, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

1. New uniforms - Yes
2. Training Camp Elsewhere - Yes
3. 3-4 Defense - No

Energy in Tampa
Summer 96 outside 75 inside cool 21 degrees
Winter 36 outside 71 inside heat 35 degrees

Which takes more Joules? My electric bill used to go way down this time of year, I have a feeling next month is going to be a shocker. :(

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Another change I predict Shanny will make: New uniforms. He did it in Denver.

Posted by: chris_zz | January 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Summo from thewarpath.net came up with a pretty cool concept for new uniforms. Though the helmet was kept the same. Still they look pretty cool

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Getting out of Ashburn would be one of the best changes to training camp they could make. I went to Carlisle the year Williams won the SB and actually spent some time chatting with him as he stood under my umbrella while it rained signing every one elses autographs (and then mine). What a flat out great experience for me. But I digress... Not being able to find a place with fields and meeting rooms is simply an excuse. Listening to Doc Walker yesterday, he commented that he HATED going to Carlisle but he realized it needed to be done for team building and cohesivness reasons. This team of individuals needs that in a bad way. Going away to camp and leaving Ashburn should be a no brainer.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 7, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: swowra | January 7, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

My two sons and Dad and I went to Frostburg three straight summers to attend the camp. It was great--cool weather, dorm living, O.K. food in the cafeteria, and the players met the fans and signed everything that was thrust at them (I think we've got Trent Green's autograph on five different footballs). My sons became hardcore fans from that time forward (even here in Texas). We got one great photo of my then eight year old (he's now in Iraq) with Sonny Jurgensen, who removed his cigar and hugged my kid around the neck. Mike Nolan went out of his way to find a sharpie to sign a football for my kids, and Darrell Green pretended to steal my older son's cap before turning around and flinging it back. Great, great place. Great, great memories.

Posted by: boothintexas | January 7, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Going away to training camp is a very wise move i think.....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 7, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Too lazy to look this up, but have any other teams moved their training camps to their permanent practice facilities, as the Skins did? Has any team that has made this change ever won the Super Bowl?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Criminy, wikipedia sez half the teams in the league held their training camps in the team's regular practice facility in 2008.

That's a lot more than I expected...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Moving training camp is a must. Players can't go home, have to form cohesiveness with one another. I feel good things coming...good things. I would describe my feelings as, well .....very medium.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 7, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I like the "return to camp" idea. Hope Shanahan implements it..
I met with a few players at camp in their dorm rooms, years back,.. And the thing that struck me was the level-setting that occurred. No primadonnas .. 5 Million a year Contract guys were rooming with first year players or walk ons.
I think that is one of the greatest advantages or at least equal to a football-only focus that isnt found in Ashburn.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Alas, swowra, I'm afraid the committee has already rejected the suggestion "Washington Spearchuckers."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Haha. No Washington Spearchuckers, huh.

We need to be an animal like everyone else in the league.

How about the Washington Meerkats?

Posted by: swowra | January 7, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Richmond is a viable option. The Wizards have held their camp down here for a few years now and...eh, never mind.

Posted by: mack1 | January 7, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

If the team ever does decide to change its name, Warriors would be great. Plus they could go back to the old school retro helmet with the spear, thus changing the name away from a racial epithet without divorcing the franchise from it's football history.

Added bonus, (somebody mentioned this above). They could play clips from The Warriors ("Warrrr-i-orrrs. Come out and playyyy")

Posted by: manifested | January 7, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Medicine Men
The Washington Scalpers
The Washington White Devils

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 7, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Isolate those fools in the woods. I know what a training camp can do for a team. Isolate them! Send 'em to the woods!

Can ya dig it sucka?

------------------------------

Posted by: manifested | January 7, 2010 6:10 PM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 7, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, swowra, there aren't that many totally awesome animals (or more specifically, awesome animal names) that aren't already in use by some pro franchise.

Sticking with Ws since I have them on the brain, I've always had a soft spot for "Washington Warthogs."

The wapiti is a terrific animal, but there aren't many elk in the District, or even in the DMV, as far as I know.

And let's face it, wallabies are too adorable to be mascot-quality.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

How about the Washington Meerkats?

Posted by: swowra | January 7, 2010 6:08 PM |
==================

If they were going to keep it real (or change over to such as), it would be the Washington Racoons and Opossums. (Based on my years of growing up in NW.)
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 7, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

would be interesting to compare their respective W-L records out of the gate... Do the separate camp teams perform better earlier in the season than the regular practice facility camp teams?
Anyone out there, without a life, look that up?
===============================

That's a lot more than I expected...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:04 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Washington Native Americans

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Huh... sticking with the W animals, I just looked up wombats on the wikipedia and learned that because they are burrowing animals, they're unique among marsupials in that their pouches face backwards, so dirt doesn't get pushed in on the baby when they're going through a tunnel. How cool is that?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

We saw a lot of what was to transpire through free agency and the draft this past year. A year in which HC Zorn and DC Blache were basically emasculated relative to what and who they would want on the squad. I am waiting to see what happens this time around before venturing any opinion on whether the Snidely Owl is still President/GM.

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Alright, if we want lots of Ws for that alliterative effect, we can go with:

Washington Whippoorwills

or how about mythical beasts:

Washington Wyverns

or if we are inspired by Vinny Cerrato:

Washingon Weasels

Posted by: swowra | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 7, 2010 6:14 PM
================================
Good idea Mypost!! Burt Reynolds never looked at Ned Beatty the same way, again, after Deliverance.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Washington Wonderlics?

Posted by: 4-12 | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:01 PM

The Broncos hold camp at their practice facility Dove Valley. Shanahan moved it there after previously holding it in Greeley.

Shanahan hasn't won a SB since moving camp and neither have the skins. Maybe he's on to something.

I do think it's a good idea, particularly when you have a lot of turnover and need those guys to gel as a team.

Posted by: skinswest | January 7, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

good measure will be to see what they do with or take for Jason Campbell.. Snyder ached for a Return on that investment last March and no one would do better than a 3rd. If Skins match any RFA Offer above 3rd round comp.. Snyder is still in charge..
===========================

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM |

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Alright, if we want lots of Ws for that alliterative effect, we can go with:

Washington Whippoorwills

or how about mythical beasts:

Washington Wyverns

or if we are inspired by Vinny Cerrato:

Washingon Weasels

Posted by: swowra | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM

Washington Werewolves

Although Werewolves should probably be saved for any future franchise in London.

Posted by: skinswest | January 7, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

oops.. I meant "at 3rd Round compensation level"... Basically what he wouldnt take last March..
==========================

===========================

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:20 PM |

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:24 PM |

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

At this point Campbell is worth more than a second easily. Not obtainable without another pick thrown in likely. Fans are too often as near-sighted as Snidely. Hopefully, Shanahan and Allen see the upside and the need for a good QB coach. Someone like Elway as opposed to a Zorn. Yes, Beurlein would be good.

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

As for the "Contract Against The World Jam", Reality, BRING IT, A**HOLE, LET'S ROCK ANY ANY ANY-TIME...who wants to live in a 1984 controlled tv bush-a88hole world anyway..

Posted by: frak | January 7, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Washington Avatars, that should kill that silly topic.

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Washington Shamans

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 7, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

As a current central PA resident, I would LOVE for the Skins to come back to Carlisle. Hell, Carlisle is closer than Ashburn for most of MD too!

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Washington Sewer Rats. Book it.

Posted by: ga8085 | January 7, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm... The more I think about it, "Shanny and the Shamans" is a great name for a rock band.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 7, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Equally impressive as someone pointed out earlier.. His 4th qtr (less than 7) rating is 106. Campbells is 61.
============================

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:28 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Spread on the championship game... Alabama (-4) with the over/under at 45.

Going with Alabama to cover the spread and taking the under.

Posted by: swowra | January 7, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

What about Kyle Orton (Denver restricted free agent) His QB rating jumped dramatically after leaving Chicago...

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 6:33 PM |
======================================

An offensive line and a running game can do amazing things for a QB.

I'm happy that the Shmanahan knows this.

P.S. I like Shmike!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 7, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The Washington De-Centralists:

De-centralized Commies: Leftist Punks squatting a downtown abandoned building..

De-centralized Capitalists: Small-scale farmers at the local market bucking monopoly laws..

De-centralized Fascists: Hillbillys who don't take kindly to outsiders at war with the coal company raping their mountain..

Scr*w DC's current Corporate centralization and Globalist rape of EARTH..period

Posted by: frak | January 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Lousy team, NO OFFENSIVE LINE, NO OFFENSIVE LINE, NO OFFENSIVE LINE, inexperienced HC, DC with the wrong "superstar", Vinny, and finally the lousy, worthless owner. Portoise. Gee, wonder if even Sonny could win with that? The answer is he didn't ... in fact his teams stunk the place up. Campbell's upside clearly is higher than Sonny's ever was. He is the better athlete. He has proven that just by surviving this season! Sheesh these fans will never, ever learn.

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how the name change stuff came about, but I've always been partial to this idea if the team every decides to make a change:

Washington Warpath.

It allows the team to keep the colors and fight song intact, plus we could switch to the throwback unis with the spear helmet and gold pants so that the change doesn't really feel like a change at all. Plus the name would be awesome and different, as nobody in the NFL has done what the NBA has been doing for years--naming teams in the singular tense (i.e.-Heat, Magic, Jazz).

But of course, keeping 'Redskins' is the best move, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 7, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

I say go to camp. Sends a message and maybe the Owner won't be sitting on the sidelines or in his golf cart so much.

The problem with the "Washington Potomacs" is what is the nickname?
The Pots?
The Tomacs?
The Toms?

I've been harrumphing about uni change for years up in here. I agree with whoever said we need to get back to burgundy and gold . . .it's true they are wearing ketchup and mustard right now.

Posted by: sfskin | January 7, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Washington Wannabe's?

Posted by: edvar | January 7, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

With Potomacs the nickname could be the 'Macs, but Warriors is pretty good too (not sure what the nickname would be for that, though)

Posted by: manlius1 | January 7, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, sfskin, that's an easy one: the Macs.

Built-in sponsorship opportunity with the Apple people, not to mention that company that has sold all those hamburger-like sandwich things.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

We should go back to Carlisle! There are no big distractions in that area of PA. I live near Scranton/Wilkes Barre, and I would be pumped if they moved it back. It's also close enough for the players and coaches to see their families and friends on weekends. Go back to where it all started!

Posted by: truckmclaren | January 7, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Not every mascot has or needs a diminutive nickname.

To wit, I've gotten in trouble several times when using my suggested nickname for the Titans in mixed company.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins should come here to Eastern Idaho. They would get in shape running from the wolves and grizzlys. Never too hot, only minus 11 today.
Go Shanny!!! HTTR.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 7, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I was just thinking about the brandon marshall for the first pick. Why not try Marshall and their first for our first that way we stay in the first round and can add a major playmaker to the offense, what do you guys think, possibility?

Posted by: SkinsRealist1 | January 7, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I will join the chorus in favor of moving training camp away from the Park.

I would support such a move on several levels... not just as a perceived benefit to the team, but also as a relief to the good people of Ashburn. Being a former resident of that place, I know how awful the logistics were for those few days when practices were open to the public.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Very cool. Would be great way to run the ol' fumblerooski play, too.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Considering Debacle2009, maybe we should go with the Washington Wallflowers.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 7, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

!!!!!!!!!!!!!VEGAS BABY VEGAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"The problem with the "Washington Potomacs" is what is the nickname?"

I say the nickname "Potheads" works.

WaPo Sports Headlines would read:

a. "The Potheads have forgotten how to score"

b. "The offensive line stoned the cowboys blitzers at the line of scrimmage"

c. "The chance to win went up in smoke"

d. "The victory is in the bag"

e. "The team disembarked after a redeye flight"

And if the team goes 4-12:

f. "Looks like the Potheads failed the piss test"

Again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

We could go all political and go with Washington Whips. Think of the marketing possibilities!

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, theme song by Devo.

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

DAMM CARLISLE. I know where that is, Cumberland County, Pa. I want to know if he'll take us back to the promised land, Super BOWL 45.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone watch LeFevour last night in the GMAC Bowl?" ----

That kid has a lot of "moxie", wouldn't mind having him as our QB.

Posted by: madalao | January 7, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

"Washington Spearchuckers."

If that's the team name, what Rooney Rule coach would brag:

"Hire me"

"I want to be the head spear chucker as unlike your other white candidates, I have vision."

"And the best aim."

(INSERT boos and shouts of "Sell Out!" and "Uncle Tom" as Gilbert Arenas uses his two guns to protect onstage Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield who yanks his tie while complaining about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

And now folks, your whipping boy, Eric Cantor from Virginia!

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

How about the WASHINGTON "Flying Squirrels." That politically correct isn't it?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Or, we could one up Mista Moe with the DC Crackheads:

" Well, Jim, the Crackheads have really fallen on hard times."

" Fake field goal? Are you on Crack?"

" Wow! What a hit!"

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I think those pansie azz'es ought to come here to SC. It will be hot and sticky and they'll have an upper hand against the "tender" NE teams.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Nothing beats seeing the skins in Carlisle. Its great to get that close to the players. I ran into Smoot and Rod Garnder at the G-Man in Carlisle the Marty year. Also had some beers and played video poker with Todd Husak. good dude, but sucked as a QB.

Dickinson just put in 2 new sports turf fields.

Posted by: shannytown | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

How about the WASHINGTON "Flying Squirrels." That politically correct isn't it?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 7:56 PM |
========================

H8er!

/Boris & Natasha
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Or, we could one up Mista Moe with the DC Crackheads:

" Well, Jim, the Crackheads have really fallen on hard times."

" Fake field goal? Are you on Crack?"

" Wow! What a hit!"

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:00 PM |

"Man, he smoked that guy"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Please will everyone let the man do his job and stop trying to change this team! Hail to the REDSKINS! Yes I said REDSKINS! No new name or anything else! REDSKINS and that should be the end of it! The high court said so! LET IT BE!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 7, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

"Man, he smoked that guy"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

" Jim, he really did. Just laid the ol' pipe right to him"

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Introducing your Washington Red Bouncing Ball Sacks!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

"Man, he smoked that guy"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

" Jim, he really did. Just laid the ol' pipe right to him"

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM |

Absolutely just rocked him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I'll tell you one thing, Carlisle is great for a family trip to see the Skins. We did it one year. We had Redskins biking past us on the way to the field. Everyone was easy to talk to. Was really fantastic.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 7, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryBud | January 7, 2010 8:10 PM | Report abuse

New GM Bruce Allen responded to reporters questions by replying: "We're 4-12. Now that's not Crackhead football."

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:12 PM

...so let's go crack some heads!"

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

No doubt the town of Cumberland could use a few more Crackheads around.

Posted by: bostskin | January 7, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM

talk about goin around your azz to get to your elbow, the 2nd best FA is Campbell and I don't think Orton woulda survived on this team.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:21 PM

Who's 1st if JC is second.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

washington defenders

have the atari logo on the helmets

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Hook em horns b1tches

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

washington k street hustlers

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Introducing your Washington Red Bouncing Ball Sacks!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM

That would be "Dangling Ball Sacks" to you, pee wee.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

...Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanks his tie while complaining about the lack of respect he receives in this blog.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 7, 2010 7:51 PM

No respect? You on crack? Just today you were nominated for Rookie of the Year and MVP by DCsween. Can't get more respect than that around here.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

washington ibtch set me up

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

colt mccoy goes into locker room to clean out his vajayjay

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

This is really not bad at all... a major improvement.
Add the spear helmet to the mix and go with it.

Another change I predict Shanny will make: New uniforms. He did it in Denver.

Posted by: chris_zz | January 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsXXVI | January 7, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 7, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

what happened to mccoy? was it a bad hit?

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:21 PM

Who's 1st if JC is second.

Posted by: Diesel44

Orton - unofficially

AND the unofficial best FA CB is ...carlos rodgers

footballsfuture.com

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

From Romolongballs back at 5:17 pm:

"I hear that he kept his desire to draft Cutler a secret from his own staff"

I don't like the sound of that at all. . . . If true, too clever by half--and too in sync with the narrative of the uber-in-control CMFIC

Posted by: farstriker | January 7, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

mccoy was running and it was a solid tackle high on the right shoulder

that would have hit campbell in the ribs and he'd still be playing

just sayin

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

what was the team name in that movie, the replacements?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan has some nerve starting out his tenure talking about Carlisle. He hasn't even moved to Ashburn yet.

Let's not allow this discussion to continue much past tonight, as it is one more -- perhaps more subtle -- attempt by the Danny to harken back to the good old days.

It's taking the band on the road. It's trying to (re)build a loyal following on the small-town circuit.

Just. Quit. Humoring. Him.

Posted by: Xlnt | January 7, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

thanks...that might've cost them the game...even if he comes back...

Posted by: dealer1 | January 7, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

i use to love going to carlisle to see the skins camp

good times - move em back

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES --- SPECIAL EDITION
Brought to you by the special people at yahoo!

This is Dan Snyder’s last gasp.

Dan Snyder needs to succeed, now. The core financial underpinning of this franchise is the waiting list for tickets, everything derives from that. Lose that and the financial roots of the Redskins will die, leaving this franchise to wither.

The challenge to maintaining the wait list is substantial. The product has been mediocre for a decade and the quality of the game day experience at FedEx hasn’t been good. There is limited fan goodwill left to draw on, especially among those college age and younger. Suing fans didn’t help the image of an unlikable owner. Luxury suites, a critical component of revenues, do not sell out at this time. FedEx has the largest seating capacity in the NFL, so demand that would result in sellouts in most places could leave 10,000 empty seats in Raljohn. Season ticket holders no longer have a ‘no lose’ scenario, where they could resell their unused tickets for a profit. And of course, there is a recession.

While it is not clear how profitable the Redskins franchise is, there is little question that Snyder has paid out large amounts of money to players and staff long after they left the building. That trend isn’t going away anytime soon, as many of the 2009 coaches will get paid with their contracts being bought out. The liabilities on various aging players, including Randy Thomas, Chris Samuels and Clinton Portis, are not insignificant. Current liabilities that will hopefully perform closer to their contract include 2009 jackpot winners Dockery, Hall and Haynesworth. Snyder may have a lot of money, but he is also burning a lot of money. Either I’m wrong or I’m ahead of the curve in saying that Snyder’s pockets aren’t as straight as they used to be.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S, part 2

Maintaining the wait list is everything. So Snyder did what he needed to do to sell tickets.

Get a guy who knows how to win. At all costs. Which is why Shanahan is the highest paid coach in the league. Shanahan had Snyder over a barrel. Few people can restore credibility as quickly as Shanahan … and restoring credibility (aka hope) is essential to ticket sales.

The team of Shanahan and Bruce Allen is formidable. From the fans perspective, there is no question that quality football people are now running the show. Like many, I have no reservations about coach Shanahan, he is among the best coaches in football. Like many, I have serious reservations about Exec VP Mike Shanahan. The HC/Exec structure was a problem in Denver and has been a problem for most who have tried to wear both hats concurrently.

It is worth exploring the implications should Shanahan fail. The blame would fall squarely on Snyder, who will not fire himself. There is little question in my mind that if the Shanahan era resembles Gibbs 2.0, that there will be little reason to retain the highly paid coach/exec. The season ticket wait list will disappear and there will literally be no name and no splash left that Snyder could make to rescue the team or image in time to prevent a financial free fall.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S, part 3

So is failure a significant risk? Well, yes. Boswell and Wilbon are among those that have written about a ‘wait and see’ attitude towards this change. I won’t rehash their articles here, beyond their key point: History says that we shouldn’t assume things will be different until there is proof that things are different. And that has to do with management.

As has been pointed out, Shanahan was fired in Denver because of his issues in his management role. His Exec skills will be at least as important as coaching skills in getting this organization back on track.

There is another potential monkey wrench. I question whether Snyder will maintain the ‘unlimited resources’ mentality that has pervaded Redskins Park for these many years. Portis may stick around because Danny may not be willing to eat large contracts any longer. From changing training camp locations to cutting back on staff to upgrading facilities, I suspect Danny is watching the cash flow more carefully now than ever before. If I held shares in the Redskins as a minority owner, I’d certainly be asking questions about this. After all, as Chairman of the Board, Danny took 6 Flags into bankruptcy.

Getting to the playoffs from the NFC East anytime in the next few years will be no easy task. The other 3 teams have significant numbers of good young players, established QBs and more draft picks going into what appears to be a very deep draft. Shanahan certainly holds his own with the coaches in the NFC East, but it won’t be easy to hold his own as in his Exec role. Relative to other teams in the NFC East, he has fewer draft picks, more holes to plug and less familiarity with the style of play. Injuries and age will play a role with key people, including our 2 best players. Haynesworth has always been an injury risk and time is not on London Fletcher’s side. In addition, the payroll is bumping against the salary cap, meaning player moves may be driven by paycheck size and not by football value. In essence, Shanahan the Exec starts with one hand tied behind his back.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE’S, part 4

The odds of success? Pretty good, despite the challenges. Shanahan is a brilliant offensive football coach and has something to prove. His teams are prepared, motivated and disciplined. He is a sharp game manager – that sick feeling that came while watching Zorn, Spurrier and even Gibbs manage a game – it is history. Quality game preparation, management and motivation alone would have gotten about 4 more Redskin wins in 2009.

Shanahan can do himself a big favor if gets the right defensive coach in place. A good D coordinator coupled with Shanahan’s offensive mind and preparation skills can overcome a lot of management issues.

But make no mistake, while the odds are with us, success isn’t a slam dunk. If Shanahan misses, the implications will be dire.

And that is a wrap on this SPECIAL EDITION of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES. And while the regime at Redskins Park may have changed, my sponsor hasn’t, the finest folks at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

uh oh another SEC stompin' someone in a BCS Championship game

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

uh oh another SEC stompin' someone in a BCS Championship game

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 10:05 PM

Calling that QB option w/ a 200 lb Colt McCoy was the difference in the game and when helmet meets shoulder, helmet wins.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 7, 2010 9:51 PM

I count six more wins: Detroit, Carolina, Kansas City, Dallas, New Orleans, San Diego. Skins would have gone 10-6 under Shanahan.

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 7, 2010 10:13 PM

I 100 freaking % agree. Those games were lost by the skins not won by any of their opponents.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Anything is better then the travesty we have become. Preperation would have won us so many games over the last two years. even before that we were losing close games left and right.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

"As a Frostburg alum and resident of Cumberland, I'd love to have the the team come back here. But the previous departure left the town and the school in the lurch and with a broken heart. There are almost no skins fans left up there because of it.

Posted by: LarryBud"

As a former Cumberland resident and crackhead, I can assure you most of those people are the closer city Pittsburgh Steelers fans anyway...

Posted by: frak | January 7, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

And , yes, Reality, I will cut your heart out with a K-Bar and eat it, you fake Big Media puppet shill..

Posted by: frak | January 7, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Whoa frak, chill out

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

did someone bet the farm on Texas and is a wee bit upset now?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

K-Bar, isn't that one of those new diet snacks from Special K?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Orton by far is the most coveted FA this offseason. Jason Campbell falls into the Charlie Batch level. That NFL.Com comparison of Jason and Kyle's 4th Quarter ( Kyle Orton 106.0 Jason 60.1
Almost twice as effective.
Its surprising, considering all the mop up completions Jason got in the prevent D when the skins were behind by 2 scores..more than half the games.. It also explains ESPN's Collinsworth's stat he stated 2 weeks ago.. 80 percent of Jason's completions have been for 10 yards or less.
JC has had 5 years and zero "come from behind" wins.. and only 4 divisional wins in 51 starts. And if you defend it with the bad OLine.. Why does Collins come in, like the Gints game, and light it up with the same personnel? 2 for 4, 57 yards and it would of been 3 for 4 but for a dropped TD pass by sleepy Davis. Btw, Collins career starts for the Skins.. 4-0 with 2 Divisional wins... Amazing.

Skins should pursue Kyle.. He is the top rated QB FA... However, Shanny may not want to, due to his relationship with the Denver owner, we'll see.
=========================================
Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:52 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM
Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 7, 2010 8:21 PM
Who's 1st if JC is second.
Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

did someone bet the farm on Texas and is a wee bit upset now?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 10:41 PM

Nope I took the over. If I don't have a horse in the race then I always root for the dog.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

How about the WASHINGTON "Flying Squirrels." That politically correct isn't it?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 7:56 PM |
========================

H8er!

/Boris & Natasha
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 7, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL. BTW tell it to the RICHMOND AA baseball team The "FLYING SQUIRRELS." Sigh.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

And some here want to see a QB of which McCOY is one of the better ones, drafted with the #4 pick by the Redskins. To play behind a half rebuilt o-line. LOL. The kid wouldn't last five games taking the battering JC has.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 7, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Possible team names (and rationale): (1) Washington ATM (this is where players and coaches come to get paid) (2) Washington Constitution (owner wants to curtail 1st amendment right to free speech) (3) Washington Mean Burgundy Machine (4) Washington Poodles (5) Washington Traffic (in honor of access to and from the stadium) (6) The Redskins of Washington at PG County (7) The Washington Shanahans (in honor of the curent coaching staff) (8) Washington Filibusters (9) Washington We'll Just Continue Hiring and Firing Coaches Until We Get it Right (10) Washington River Dogs

Posted by: randysbailin | January 7, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

zeke, while I love your work up here and enjoyed the above piece in particular, I'm curious what you mean by "the implications [of success eluding Shanahan] could be dire."

We've been through the wringer for 16-odd years, eleven of them under Snyder, so I think we know from dire. Hell, we've been rooting for a franchise that has gone from first-class to primarily noteworthy for its oppressive direness.

Also, since none of us know how Shanahan's boss will define "success" at any given time... ah, screw it. I'm sticking with positivity. Things have to be better. They just have to.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 7, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

wonder what Shanny was thinking, last Sunday, while watching JC go 4 and out in the last San Diego series..?? The fourth pass being a hail mary 20 yards out of bounds, on the fly, at the SD 40 yard line. Hail Marys are for tipped balls or interference.. Not for protecting your QB Rating from getting an INT by throwing it into the 40 yard line seats.

Here's hoping JC is GONE next year. He can go to another team and complain about "its not fair" that he is getting hit. Problem with JC is that he buys into what he reads.. "Its not fair, I dont have an OLine". Or, "I have had to learn 2 systems in 4 years". WaaaaahhhhSkin.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Shananagins

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

How about another name with red in it?

Red Riders
Red Rage
Red Horse
Red Tide
Red Elephant
Red Hat (for the geeks)
Red Herring
Red Bull (promo tie-in for Danny)
Red Zone (maybe help us find it more)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

How about another name with red in it?

Red Riders
Red Rage
Red Horse
Red Tide
Red Elephant
Red Hat (for the geeks)
Red Herring
Red Bull (promo tie-in for Danny)
Red Zone (maybe help us find it more)

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:02 PM | Report

Introducing your Washington Red Bouncing Ball Sacks!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

That new TX QB can't throw it with out ALA knocking it down

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

That new TX QB can't throw it with out ALA knocking it down

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:06 PM |

Oops!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Introducing your Washington Red Bouncing Ball Sacks!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM

I have a cream for that...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Introducing your Washington Red Bouncing Ball Sacks!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 8:07 PM

I have a cream for that...

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:07 PM |

Ooooh...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I rag the TX QB and he throws a TD on the next play

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I rag the TX QB and he throws a TD on the next play

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:12 PM

And I'm closer to my OVER, you warm weather weirdo. That last PI penalty was Hoooorible...now back2back terrrrrible calls.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

"I'm aware of everybody, every coach," Shanahan said Wednesday. "It's what I do. I study coaches. I study coordinators. I know what they've done. I know where they've been."

I like that.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | January 7, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

I like that.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | January 7, 2010 11:26 PM

How can you not.

What worries me is that if Gray is back then that would have to mean that a deal was struck with Snyder and Gray to comply with the Rooney rule.

I would like a complete coaching turnover.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

They stick it in the endzone again, and Saban's pants are gonna disappear into his butt.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Gray will interview for the Giants D coordinator job.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I rag the TX QB and he throws a TD on the next play

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 7, 2010 11:12 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 11:22 PM

And with that 2 pt conversion.....winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, i don't think a deal was or would have been in place, but there is no way that everybody will not assume that a deal was in place to get Gray the job.

Kinda like Timlin in Ptsbrg. No matter how often its said that he crushed the interview, blah blah blah, some will say it was a only a Rooney Rule hire.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else hear the sideline reporter say the decision was to shut down Colt and not take a chance playing him and hurting his NFL prospects.. I thought I heard that??

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"And a child shall lead them..."

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:42 PM |

You heard correctly.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 7, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, I don't think a deal was or would have been in place, but there is no way that everybody will not assume that a deal was in place to get Gray the job.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:39 PM

What could have been the reward for a guy to interview as a secondary coach for his boss's job? He had no chance at the ultimate prize.

He has no shot at the DC job and if he has any position on Shanny's staff based on his unit's performance then it will always be questionable.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

That's what they said clifton... of course they through in the mandatory "Colt was chomping at the bit to get back in there". He is holding that right arm down pretty weakly though and he is only using his left arm to give high fives, etc...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Looked like Heyer guarding his backside, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

something wrong with that.. Since no report is out about the xray and the shoulder is not wrapped.. It would mean.. no breaks, no ligament tears, not even a sprain.
His Agent must of shut him down..haha.

Wonder how his teammates will take it?
=========================================

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:47 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

looked like Heyer in the Seattle playoffs, his rookie debut, (not) protecting Collins blind side. Helped Patrick Kearney break a sack playoff record.
========================================
Looked like Heyer guarding his backside, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:49 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

His Agent must of shut him down..haha.

Wonder how his teammates will take it?
=========================================

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 7, 2010 11:47 PM

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:53 PM

His draft stock just went from 2nd to 3rd round to what?

Even Heath Shuler waited to get paid to prove to eveybody that he couldn't play at the next level.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 7, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

the officiating in this game has been crap.. Hugely favoring Alabama.. Noneexistent face mask, two blatant pass interferences not called.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The BCS really needs Alabama to win this game.. And who pays the refs?? The BCS.. Ummmm conspiracy theory...

The officiating in this game has been crap.. Hugely favoring Alabama.. Noneexistent face mask, two blatant pass interferences and no calls....

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 7, 2010 11:57 PM

Very True, but I hit the over!

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 8, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

congrats.. Diesel44 on hitting the over.

Wonder if Shanny is salivating about Ingram while watching this game? He looks like the next Emmit..

Anyone know???
If the Skins grab Kyle Orton as a Restricted Free Agent.. and the salary is 2.5 Mil or more.. I believe the compensation is a 1st and 3rd round pick.. Are those picks from next Draft year (ie 2011 in this case) or from the current? Understandably the Skins dont have a 3rd this year.
I am thinking it must be the following year.. but..anyone?

Posted by: cliftonbiz | January 8, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

"nd some here want to see a QB of which McCOY is one of the better ones, drafted with the #4 pick by the Redskins. To play behind a half rebuilt o-line. LOL. The kid wouldn't last five games taking the battering JC has.

Posted by: glawrence007"

Which is what makes JC such a good scapegoat for insanity venting- dude gets whaled on mighty , but he can always take it...We've got to keep a tough mutha like that, just on principle...With Danny out of the picture, the nuclear ventilation vomit on JC becomes crucial for the health of Redskin Nation..just kiddin'..

Posted by: frak | January 8, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

++++

Who cares?

Orton is only a marginal upgrade over Soup at best. Why would you burn a 1st and 3rd for that? I'd rather invest the draft picks in the O line and/or game changing talent, not marginal upgrades like Orton.

Posted by: edvar | January 8, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Why in the name of whatever remains that is Holy are you even mentioning Orton? In connection with the redskins AND surrendering picks to get him? Seriously?

How much of that 106 rating that keeps getting spouted came on the miracle batted ball play against Cleveland that went for 80 yards and a TD? Ol' Kyle threw a pick 6 that the DB went all CR22 on and the ball was tipped to the fast white dude whose name I can't remember who then went 80+ for the game winner. I figure 1/1 83 TD will sure help your QB rating. We rag on JC for dink and dunk, at least he can throw it down the field when he gets more than a nano second or two. Orton doesn't have the mojo to make those throws. And you want to give Denver a 1 and a 3 to bring him here? Dayum, that sure seems full on uber retarted to me.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 12:26 AM

SkinsfaninKaneohe used a bigger hammer than I did...

Posted by: edvar | January 8, 2010 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert was a dumbass, but Earth doesn't need a condescending and patronizing Karl Malone telling us about our troops overseas protecting us (believe it or not, we're mostly still civilians, you tractor-trailer redneck in african clothes) to appear all high and mighty morally superior to Gil, to use HIM as a diversionary tactic (scapegoat) from the high and mighty imperial warcrimes of the US gov't..Just sayin'..

Posted by: frak | January 8, 2010 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Hi/Lo split edvar, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Hi/Lo split edvar, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 12:32 AM |

Oh...my bad. I thought we were doing that good cop/bad cop thing.

Posted by: edvar | January 8, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

HI/Lo is pokerese for gcbc

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX

dire = Cle, StL, Oak, places that have little chance of becoming competitive with fair weather fan bases

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 8, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

How many Nick Sabans are there? The guy is on Oprah Malaysia already.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 8, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if Colt McCoy's injury tonight saves us from taking a QB too high. I don't see a QB in this draft worth a first rounder. If they want to spend a second rounder on a QB, fine, but they better trade down from four to increase their number of picks in the first 3 rounds to take linemen. They could get a tackle later in the first round and quality interior linemen are always available in rounds 2 and 3 (and even 4).

Are any solid (non-star) veteran free safeties set to be available this offseason?

Posted by: mhaslup | January 8, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

zeke, I reckon you could make a solid case -- and I reckon there are plenty of people outside Redskin Nation who believe -- that our beloved franchise already meets that definition of "dire."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 8, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Zeke, love your analysis as always. Frak, you're an idiot, as always.

Posted by: msrent | January 8, 2010 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhaslup | January 8, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Now there's a drafting philosophy I'm down with. And I've said so, here. And yes, they may be RFA's because of an uncapped year, but there are free agents to take if the river of money pouring forth from Mt. SNYDER doesn't stop gushing.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 8, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

"Will Shanahan Take the Redskins Back to Carlisle?"

If they play the Super Bowl in Carlisle, then you bet he's gonna take us there.

Posted by: League-Source | January 8, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Where is everybody?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Dude I'm here. I was wondering the same thing. I thought it was broke again, like the other day.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Did we get a new post that I can't see?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 8, 2010 6:15 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if we trade back in the 2nd or the 4th but we need Russell Okung. We need an elite left tackle. We should take him #4 overall and trade back in the second round. There is only 1 elite left tackle in this draft. It's not like last year where there were 4.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Is it the 2010 season yet?

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"I thought it was broke again, like the other day."

This blog is all about being a 'Bama.

It's broke one day, and then there's a million threads the next.

Which is pretty much how a 'Bama operates.

Unless it's on a roll.

And today, the Crimson Tide is on one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Actually Moe it's not. They're done rolling against a clearly inferior quarterback they managed to hang on. Pretty sad actually.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 8, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

F those bamas...

Was watching the all time NFL busts for coaches, and both of these clowns were on the list. Petrino was number one.

That's why I don't blame Hall for what went down in Atlanta. Anytime you have Warrick Dunn airing you out, you know that person is a classless turd.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

"...but we need Russell Okung. We need an elite left tackle."

Which do we need more?: an 'elite' Big 12 player in Okung or a possibly better 2nd round SEC right tackle in C Black?

If anything, last night's National Championship game had me wondering about the amount of speed and power Okung faced game in and game out in the defenders form the Big 12.

'Bama's front seven is standard issue in the SEC: Florida, Georgia, LSU, Tenn, Arkansas.

Texas' front 7 looked pooped and wary after several back to back series where M Ingraham ran stretch/cutback plays down its throat.

Anybody who's played any defensive football knows the pass tires you out, but the run tests your heart.

And 'Bama's sophomore starting left tackle caved in the Longhorn starter playing over him multiple times.

And so I remember seeing Okung getting stoned twice against Ole Miss and I think: are the guys he faced better than the guys Black faced?

Might C Black be a better option in the second round, especially if Mighty Mike takes a q-back 1st?

I wonder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow, people are posting again. Any good O line prospects from Bama or Texas?

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

bring back Jansen....championship..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

bring back Jansen....championship..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Agreed! Anybody like this Bryan Baluga? He just declared today. We could nab him in the end of the 1st if we traded back. he looked good in the game the other night.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"I really despise Nick Saban. The thing is, I don't know who's worse: Saban or Petrino."

Select the word that would be the best replacement for the phrase, "Division I Football Head Coach."

a. pimp

b. slave master

c. money-hungry

d. leader of men

e. selective opportunist

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

i used to like bama and the CRIMSON TIDE till saban showed up. and the sad thing is there's no one in the sec left to contend with him.

Posted by: dealer1 | January 8, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Moe are you suggesting we only draft OLmen from the SEC? Whose the elite OLT coming out this year from the SEC?

I have to admit it, the Ingram guys reminders of E Smith with his little jump cut, and his ability to avoid the big hit.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Moe, if a snake and an eel were able to breed the result would be Nick Saban.

Petrino was just a pu**y through and through. He didn't have the balls to stick around until the end of the season, and wrote a two paragraph letter to his players notifying them of his departure.

F Nick Saban
F Bobby Petrino

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

Yes he does, Bobby Pertino.

They contend annually for the rest of their lives for the lying snake award.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 8:39 AM

He's not very strong. I've seen him get walked back by a few different DL. Not all the time, but enough to keep an eye on it as he progresses during the pre-draft circuit. He is mobile, and has good footwork in pass pro so he might be a fit for the Shanahan OL profile.

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

fedorem

"Anybody like this Bryan Baluga(Iowa)?)

One thing not mentioned about Shanny's work habits is that he and the new offensive line coach will assess a new kind of lineman for the team.

Consider the bronco depth chart:

LT 78 R. Clady
LG 50 B. Hamilton 70. S. Olsen
C 62 C. Wiegmann 50 B. Hamilton
RG 73 C. Kuper 70. S. Olsen
RT 76 T. Polumbus 77 B. Gorin

These are all long, athletic guys.

So when you start ranting about o-linemen the team will select, think like Shanny: athleticism and versitility counts more than bulk and girth.

Quick guys who chop-block, reach-block, and pull/screen block are at a premium.

Mashers need not apply.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The boy Ingram is the realest in the NCAA right now. Unquestionably the best player at that level.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

With all the guys coming out early, men who would normally be 5th, 6th, 7th rounders will be pushed into free agency. This is where Morocco Brown can do his best work. Hope that they keep him around, at least through the draft.

Posted by: League-Source | January 8, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I wonder.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I would like to see us get Ciron Black in the second round. He is projected to go there. I think he'd make a heck of a right tackle and a great backup plan if Okung busts. Okung did face von miller and brian orkapo and did pretty well agianst them. When he played against ole miss he was playing on a bad knee. He hurt it during practice that week and was lucky to even play. His body of work really isn't up for debate.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Nostalgia and chronic longing for the glory years has kept the Skins in a rut for years while the rest of the league looks towards what can help them down the road. A move to Carlisle should be done to get out of Ashburn and get a decent meal at Rilo's not to revisit the ghosts of Redskins past. Skins are facing the wrong direction--obsessed with what was and missing what could be.

Posted by: kevin_rigsby19 | January 8, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Mashers need not apply.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

If we go that route then trading back and taking Charles Brown from USC/Spiller in the first round and Selvish Capers from WVU in the second would be good. I'd be down with that. We'd also need to take a QB next year with a quick accurate throw like Christian Ponder.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Quick guys who chop-block, reach-block, and pull/screen block are at a premium.

Mashers need not apply.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:59 AM
------------------------------------------
Which kind of hits the reset button on the entire offensive line. A guy like Dockery, who was signed to big money last offseason, suddenly becomes obsolete. This is going to be interesting. They are going to be looking for a lot of offensive linemen.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 8, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Mashers need not apply.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:59 AM

What about mashers who are mobile like M. Iputa?

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | January 7, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm totally with you on the notion that JC is far from the main problem. I've been calling for Okung- and at least one more O-lineman later in the draft- for weeks. But "Campbell's upside clearly is higher than Sonny's ever was"?? I like you man...but you're crazy

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Mashers need not apply.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I like your body of work but this is silly. You cannot be an O-lineman without being a mauler, a masher, an ogre! Yes, he puts a premium on long, athletic linemen- who doesn't? But make no mistake, you don't finese your way thru 60 minutes and 16 games in the trenches.

BTW, you know who's an athletic brute?? OKUNG!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Why practice anywhere outside Redskins Park? George Allen built it for the purpose having the team do all its' work, including pre-season practicises, there. I love the idea of having the Fan Appreciation Day there too.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | January 8, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse