Doug Williams out in Tampa Bay; Could he be in with Washington?

If new coaches and general managers spend the first few months of the year re-making the roster, the month of May is a time assess the front office and scouting departments. And one name just came on the market that will likely intrigue the Redskins.

Former Washington quarterback Doug Williams is leaving the Tampa Bay organization, where he'd served as the Bucs' pro scouting director.

"[General Manager] Mark [Domenik and I have sat down and talked about my future," Williams said in a news release. "After a lot of thought, I felt that it was the right time for me to look at new options. I wish nothing but the best for the Buccaneers."

The Redskins made a couple of cuts to their scouting department last week, including Don Warren, who was responsible for pro scouting for Washington, and happen to be in the market for a hire or two.

Williams could always enter the coaching ranks, but he's well-regarded as a personnel man. He was in Tampa on Tuesday, so no announcements out of Redskins Park are imminent. But it wouldn't surprise anyone if the Redskins at least chat with Williams.

Williams is obviously familiar with Redskins' General Manager Bruce Allen, the Bucs' previous GM. And Allen has made no secrets about his intentions to honor the Redskins' rich history.

Here's what Williams had to say about Allen shortly after the Redskins hired him in December: "Bruce is a guy who's hard not to like," he said. "One thing he does have is people skills. Bruce has a good knack with coaches and a great knack with agents. He has a real presence. Bruce could sit down and talk with the best of them, smile at you and then tell you, 'No.' But he tells you no, and you're still going to like him."

We'll learn soon whether Allen or Williams has a chance to say "No" or "Yes" to a possible return trip to Washington.

By Rick Maese  |  May 11, 2010; 8:48 PM ET
 | Tags: Bruce Allen, Doug Williams, NFL, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Westbrook-McNabb reunion with Redskins isn't foreseeable
Next: Adam Carriker hopes for a fresh start with Redskins, Jim Haslett

Comments

first fahhhhhhhhgs

Posted by: dfresh58 | May 11, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | May 11, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

First....

Posted by: westjr88 | May 11, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

.....or second and third

Posted by: westjr88 | May 11, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Marocco Brown should get the job as top talent guy.

Posted by: dcsween | May 11, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Doug Williams back in the fold would be a PR coup and a great, practical move to add a well-respected personnel guy.

did i just paraphrase Maese? i guess i did.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 11, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"But, even vegetables can dream, can't they??"
Johnathan , Rollerball

Posted by: frak | May 11, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind hiring Doug. I like to see them old players. I wish they would find a spot for B. Mitchell and Doc Walker because they know what it takes.

Posted by: westjr88 | May 11, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: westjr88 | May 11, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

think Allen, Williams and Marocco Brown would be a formidable top-three in the personnel dept.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 11, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Damn phone. ...

Posted by: westjr88 | May 11, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Pure speculation and YES DW17 has ties to Washington but he has NO ties to Shanny.

I hope they at the very least buy him a steak dinner and discuss some sort of role in the scouting dept.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 11, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

said it would be, not will be.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 11, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 11, 2010 9:26 PM

I agree with you and I was referring to the actual post not your post.

westjr88- Snyder has essentially gotten rid of B Mitch twice (Skins & 980am). I can't see that happening.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 11, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV = Rick Doc Walker

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 11, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX = Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 11, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV = Rick Doc Walker

Mistamoe= Dave Chappelle, Don King, Stepin Fetchit, Fred Williamson, Barry Bonds, The Squeegee Guy, Puff Daddy, Maceo Parker, Tito Jackson, Melly Mel, Sugar Ray Leonard, Darryl Dawkins, Bobby Mitchell, Homie De Clown,....

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 11, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Tito Jackson...

now that is entirely plausible.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 11, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Dave Chapelle does hail from DC.

Wonder what his handle is?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 11, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

diesel44

"I hope they at the very least buy him (Doug Williams) a steak dinner and discuss some sort of role in the scouting dept."

Folks hate baseball, but teams like the cardinals and yankees ask their legends to be on hand to help mentor, coach, and lead.

Doug Williams would do well in any such capacity with the team as it changes form the mess it was to whatever shape Shanallen hopes to mold it into.

Somebody should be on hand to remind this young generation of players that there was a time when the Niners, Giants, Bear, and Redskins were the class of the NFC.

Most of the guys on the roster think the glory days of redskin yore are the stuff of history books.

Williams would put a voice and face to all of it.

Guys like Kelly, Thomas, Portis, Haynesworth, CR, Labdry, Williams, and even McNabb himself would do well to listen to the advice of a guy who has had some very interesting experiences as a pro.

The best lesson he could teach?: humility.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 11, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

If I were applying for a job as a Redskins scout, I would not include my recent experience as head of scouting for the Tampa Bay Bucs and I would hope no one would ask.

Posted by: Lazarus40 | May 11, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

If I were applying for a job as a Redskins scout, I would not include my recent experience as head of scouting for the Tampa Bay Bucs on my resume. And I would hope no one would ask.

Posted by: Lazarus40 | May 11, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Dave Chapelle does hail from DC.
Wonder what his handle is?

Periculum. Duh!

Posted by: daggar | May 11, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The singer Alicia Keys is reportedly pregnant.

Ms. Keys is one of the finest women walking on the planet.

You can scratch her off the 'hottie' list as, according to the rules, no 'hottie' can be a mom or pregnant.

However, once Ms. Keys has her child, she will be moved from to the 'MILF' list well up into her mid 40s.

Above all, we'd like to give a , "Damn, bro' put a baby in that chick? He lucky!" to the producer Swizzbeat, the father of the baby.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 11, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 11, 2010 10:05 PM

Co-sign.

Oh and Alicia and I weren't going to go public but since her bump is finally showing we are pleased to announce that the due date is Sept 12th.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 11, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 11, 2010 10:25 PM

Moe, I have to respectfully disagree. I think Ms.Keys is one of the most overrated celebs out there. She is attractive, but she is not stop in your tracks fine like other Milfs Vanessa Williams, Halle Berry or Tamia.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | May 11, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

So the homie Swizz, who's married, knocked up Ms. Keys?

Damn peeps ain't playin' fair in 2010... hope the baby ain't born with down syndrome, you know what they say about "mess don't get blessed"..

Posted by: RedDMV | May 11, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

good ol' Doug...just a solid pro QB with a great deep ball, man.

people forget he took sorry-ass Tampa Bay to the NFC Championship game in '79. put in time with the Houston Gamblers in the USFL days too.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 11, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks Lebron just played his last home game in Cleveland..

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 11, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

^Looks like

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 11, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

king James really took a sh*t tonight...15 points? daaaaaamn.

Posted by: terrapin3 | May 11, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I like DW. How can you not? But the guy isn't the brightest buld on the tree. I still wouldn't mind if they brought him in in some capacity. Maybe to try repair the Bobby Mitchell damage.
If he has some ability at talent evaluation (I would think he should), why not. It would be good PR, at least for those of us who are old enough to remember the days (when we were an awesome team).

Posted by: msrent | May 11, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Looks like James was trying to stamp his NY passport post-haste..Chewin' on the mouthpiece like he was a Highlands Gorilla chompin' on Queen Latifah's jockstrap..(f*** sellout jackpump Latifah)..What was that fist-pump that the Nats pitcher gave after the Mets took a 8-6 lead?? $100,000 worth of bubble gum in a brown paper bag waiting in his locker..

Posted by: frak | May 11, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

"Looks Lebron just played his last home game in Cleveland."

Yeah, I was kinda wondering the same thing to be honest.

I think he'll stay.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 11, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"people forget he took sorry-ass Tampa Bay to the NFC Championship game in '79."

I'll never forget that game because I was a kid sick in bed and puking my guts out while watching it. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 11, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

What's the over/under on the number of players named Williams making the final roster?

I say 2

Posted by: noonefromtampa | May 11, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Dave Chapelle does hail from DC.

Wonder what his handle is?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 11, 2010 10:03 PM

Actually he's from Yellow Springs, Ohio. I still see him there all the time.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 11, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

"The best lesson he could teach?: humility.
Posted by: MistaMoe"

I liked the perspective Doug Williams brought to the NFL's craziness. Once when he was having problems in his marriage, a reporter asked him if that had contributed to the back spasms that he complained about. Williams' answer: "Why? She didn't hit me in the back."

Posted by: Samson151 | May 12, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

"Dave Chapelle does hail from DC."Posted by: Chia_Pet"
"Actually he's from Yellow Springs, Ohio. I still see him there all the time.Posted by: scampbell1975"

And you're both right. Dave's dad taught at Antioch but he grew up mostly in Silver Spring. He's a Duke Ellington grad. After his parents separated, he spent summers with his dad in Yellow Springs. His mother taught at Howard and UM.

A very, very funny and very, very neurotic guy.

But Yellow Springs is one of the great towns of the Midwest.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 12, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Doug Williams does not speak much better than Clinton Portis. He would be looked upon as a dolt. He quit on the Skins when were were about to play the Giants, and Schrader got his ass kicked. Then Williams cried and stated that he should not lose his starting job because of his phantom injury (fear). He had a good arm, and was dumber than a box of rocks. What could he possibly offer our team, except teach them how to whine. If he was great, he wouldn't be without a job in Tampa Bay after all the years there.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | May 12, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how good Williams is as a personnel guy. I think Shanahan cares about the Skins history as much as I care about Milwaukee Brewer history.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 12, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

If we sign Williams, which QB would we cut?

Posted by: jmy999 | May 12, 2010 12:53 AM | Report abuse

We need Doug Williams back?

When did this happen?

And, if that's the case, do we even field a team this year? We should call "Mercy."

Doug is a good guy. So what? Why not hire Jason Campbell for the job, in that case?

WTF.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 12, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

But Yellow Springs is one of the great towns of the Midwest.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 12, 2010 12:22 AM |

I wouldn't go that far. I lived there for a couple of years and it's neat but great isn't a word I would use to describe it. Very closeminded for such a liberal town. If you're not just like them then they don't like you very much. The area is awesome though. My brother and I volunteered to GPS map John Bryant Park and the Glenn. Took a couple of years to get all the open trails done.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 12, 2010 1:12 AM | Report abuse

But the guy isn't the brightest buld on the tree

Posted by: msrent | May 11, 2010 11:30 PM |

buld?? Dude, how can you question someone else's intelligence when your use of word erases all doubts about yours?

Posted by: bones21 | May 12, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

OK, a few thoughts:

-Get Doug Williams in here ASAP. Good personnel guy, looks like he'd work well with Bruce Allen and it's a good PR move at a time where this team appears to be moving in a direction that harkens to the glory days. Getting DW17 back in DC would make up for completely overlooking Russ Grimm for not one, but TWO head coaching searches.

-KJJ is a clown for saying Alicia Keys is "one of the most overrated celebs out there". I can't even fathom how a red-blooded American male can say with a straight face "she is not stop in your tracks fine". Even gay men would love to hit that. I'd take her over Halle Berry or Tamia any day of the week and twice on a freaky Friday night. Love Vanessa Williams though...but I'd still give Alicia the slight edge simply because she's about 20 years younger. The only knock on Alicia is that she's likely to get cankles once she drops the baby. Even still, her looks are timeless and uncompromised.

-I'm bummed that the Westbrook thing wasn't much...would have loved for the local boy to come home and help us out as a 3rd down back and a good locker room influence. He makes much more sense than Willie Parker, who was almost never on the field on 3rd down as a Steeler and whose skill set doesn't much match what we need from him. CP is an every down guy. LJ at worst is a short yardage guy. WTF does Parker do that's special? He's a speed guy who's losing his speed. I'd much rather have Westbrook, who at least gives McNabb a familiar safety valve on 3rd down.

Ok, let's discuss.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 12, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

Here you go Brown. Here’s food for thought.
When I see Westbrook I see a B Mitch running through blocks…Hold on…Kick off returns and punt returns. The guys a beast and this could extend his career, as well as, give you a great back up. The guy still has game, great hands, and excellent field vision. Hell Portis had a concussion that ended the season last year and no one talks of his career over. Right?

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 12, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

C'mon Bruce, make it happen. Doug Williams is one of the greatest Skins folk heroes of all time!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 12, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

What is this obsession with the past?
Why dont we concentrate more on people who can do the job now and hire them instead of wasting time on those people who did things a long time ago.

Posted by: dbeins | May 12, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"The area is awesome though. My brother and I volunteered to GPS map John Bryant Park and the Glenn. Took a couple of years to get all the open trails done.Posted by: scampbell1975"

Glen Helen is a remarkable place -- so is the whole of Greene County in some ways. I left right after the tornados destroyed Xenia. A looong time ago. I'm guessing Young's is still there.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 12, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

GOOD MOVE, Bones21. Maybe msrent can get a brick house to replace the glass house that fell when the stone was thrown! Posters don't have to be so insulting.

Posted by: Supporter51 | May 12, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Why are the Skins always trying to sign guys other teams don't want anymore. Sorry but I don't see Tampa as a success story the Skins should try to copy. Williams had the best quarter in a super bowl ever. But it doesn't mean we owe him a job... Hire the BEST!! Not someone because he once played for the Skins over 20 years ago...

Posted by: sovine08 | May 12, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer

Are you mad, man? Here.. focus on this:

Posted by: iubiquity | May 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Doug Williams would be a fantastic hire.

Hes coached in college, played in the pros, scouted in the pros. He knows what hes looking at.

This team needs more people with Doug's character !

Posted by: dashriprock | May 12, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

LET'S NOT FORGET HOW HIGH WILLIAMS WAS ON JASON CAMPBELL.

A GREAT SCOUT????????

Posted by: dlr4skins | May 12, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

" And Allen has made no secrets about his intentions to honor the Redskins' rich history." ---

Really???!?? So he gets rid of Don Warren, a true Redskin???? Rich History my eye!!!

Posted by: wagenstill | May 12, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse