WR Caldwell Rejects Offer

Jason Reid called this in a while back, but we had technical difficulties....

Wide receiver Reche Caldwell rejected the Washington Redskins' contract offer and agreed to terms with the St. Louis Rams, a league source said today, and financial terms were not immediately available.
The Redskins offered Caldwell a one-year, minimum contract that would have paid him $730,000 next season. Former free agent wide receiver D.J. Hackett also rejected Washington's minimum offer, signing a two-year, $3.5-million contract with the Carolina Panthers.
Caldwell, who signed with the Redskins on Sept. 11, appeared in eight games last season, catching 15 passes for 141 yards. While playing for the New England Patriots in the 2006 season, Caldwell had 61 receptions for 760 yards and four touchdowns.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  March 25, 2008; 4:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Evaluating Anthony Mix (With Fabini Update)
Next: Season Opener May Start Earlier

Comments

Adios, Reche...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

he would be a good backup

Posted by: wydaaa | March 25, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

second

Posted by: SeanTay77 | March 25, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't make much sense you sign a one 645,000 dollar deal with St. Louis when the skins offered 730,000. I guess he think he will be the #3 with the rams behind Holt and Bennett in washington he would have had to compete with whatever rookie we bring in for the #3 spot. Oh well caldwell was dependable but can be easily replaced.

Posted by: murraysdaman10 | March 25, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

If Campbell were any other QB on any other team, you would think he was a waste of space. Think with you brain, and not your heart. This is football, not American Idol.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 25, 2008 03:32 PM

Kinda like the way I looked at Eli Manning for four years. Too bad Campbell had a higher passer rating last year, and a higher career passer rating overall. Forgive me for not sticking a fork in Campbell after one season as a starter.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2008 04:32 PM

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Haven't had time to check my brackets. Went with my alma mater all the way. Corrnell is still in it, right?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 24, 2008 05:59 PM

Z, I worked for a project manager for a few months last year whose son is the starting punter at Cornell. Nick Maxwell.

What can I say? I love to name-drop.

(Also, "Corrnell"? Dude, gotta spell your school's name right.) ;-)

Posted by: freakzilla | March 25, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Jimwell and others I was being sarcastic as well, fyi...

I'm not ready to ditch Campbell either, psp, this is twice in one day we've been on the same page. Scary....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Give Campbell time! You all forget...Gibbs kept him on the shelf for two years with no snaps. But I agree he must perform. He's a grown man and a starting QB. If he doesn't produce then we have to make some moves...but not next week!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 25, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Though the skins offered him more a year, getting a similar deal in a pass happy system with Weird Al in St. Louis really opened Caldwell's Eyes!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | March 25, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

zilla, I think zeke was using the pirate spelling/pronunciation.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

freak, first, they dont teach us no stinkin' speling at my alma mater. Though its also a sign I should probably wear my glasses when I'm at the 'puter ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Historically, the punter is a very important position, because Cornell's offense has never been good since the guy from Hill St Blues left ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

tell you how hard it is to succeed in football at Cornell ... my freshman and soph year, the team went 3-15. And that includes two wins over Columbia. So they fired the coach. George Seifert. Who you might recall was a bit more successful in SF, with them Super Bowl victories ...

The only other guy who made a name for himself in sports from Cornell while I was there (who I got to know a little bit), was an asst coach for soccer and lacrosse, Bruce Arena ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

WPLF16, funny, funny, funny.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Twice in one day, greg. Something must be wrong here. And that doesn't count the blog consensus on 1st-round Albert. It's all peaceful and serene in RI land.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

zeke, I think you mean Bruce ARRRRena.

He was the Vince LombARRRRdi of UVa soccer.

Okay, now you have ME talking like a pirate. Thanks, zeke. Thanks a lot.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

It all comes back to UVa, boys.

Boy, a good shot at winning the CBI... what a dream that would be!

Golly.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Bug Eyes is dead to me.

Posted by: PDiddy | March 25, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

psp, I don't know if this bodes well or not...I'm thinking it does, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 25, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I think we should trade Betts to Tampa Bay for a second round pick.

I think we should also trade Jason Campbell to the Giants for Eli Manning.

And I think we should trade LaRon Landry to anyone for 2 first round picks and a ham sandwich. I'm hungry and have to wait until dinner.

Posted by: PDiddy | March 25, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Have fond memory of UVa ... Cornell won a championship on the field there. Of course, lacrosse champs are generally remembered for .... ummm.... errrr .... actually, they are usually forgotten.

But we beat Hopkins, where one of my closest friends was at the time, so its all good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow, zeke, those were the days. The good old days.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

You'd think Al Saunders had seen enough of Caldwell to know better. If he didn't use him in yellow, maroon and black, why does he think he'll be any better in whatever those colors the Rams are ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Nate, how good of you to bring up the team that still holds the record for most consecutive wins in NCAA lax history. The Ivy league didn't let freshman play at the varsity level, and there was a terrific group of juniors on that Cornell team. Starting a sophs, they won every game until the NCAA finals their senior year. Overall record 42-1.

Which means they spend time answering the question, "what happened?"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Dam, all this agreeing and loving on this blog today. Either the same person is posting using everyones name or I am back in the twilight zone!!

Thanks for keeping it from being 100% Sports_Guru!

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 25, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Kerzon, when it comes to Cornell athletics, its nothing but love

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

By the way, what is Lacrosse??

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 25, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Is there a brackett for this? If so, I want in. :)

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 25, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

you guys and zilla all have zees in your names. Zorn is smiling down on the blog today!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Off early today, off the rest of the week, got started on this now not full bottle of Patron (Reposado), chasing with Dos Equis and watching the tape delayed Sox game.

Oh yeah, big smile on my face!!

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 25, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

What I learned today from RI:

* Sports_Guru is a reg.

* Podspeak and Sports_Guru very may well be the same person (follow the posts time stamps and conversations between the 2)

* This blog is no diffreent then 'The Fix' blog.

* Not winning the SB in the offseason makes for a boring RI blog offseason (too many fake arguments and too many PFT posts that aren't relevant to RI).

* Kerzone is either from PG County or DC or not from the East Coast at all (Because PG and DC people would be the only people on the area who wouldn't know what Lacrosse is).

* Winning the Super Bowl in January/February of 2009 will be priceless.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 25, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Can't speak about Podspeak or Sports_Guru, but correct on Kerzon(-e). From New Mexico where Lacrosse is like Hockey.

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 25, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I just got me a ticket to the Nat's O's game Saturday. Section 225. Anyone from RI going to be at the game?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow I suck I guess

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah alex, you suck! Nyah nyah nyah!

Just kidding. Hey, let's talk about a Nats game... not this weekend, but down the line a bit. Email me at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com when you get a chance, hmmkay?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 25, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

BMGO from West Palm Beach, FL.

Looks like the blog is still dead... don't worry alex, its not you. You may still suck, I don't know you personally.

Posted by: Dorf | March 25, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Santana is in the house! He finally arrived at Redskins Park after his honeymoon. Tana married his girlfriend of 13 years - said his life has changed.

Tana was going to Children's Hospital this afternoon to deliver a check for $15,000 in honor of Sean Taylor. Sean was scheduled to visit the children at the hospital but was murdered 2 days prior to his appearance.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Good for 89 on that move with the Chillin and the wife. GF of 13 years, good lord that is what I call taking it slow. My GF and I have been dating for 2 years and she already is starting "the talk"

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I think someone mentioned this guy earlier.

From Scout.com

Many of the scouts in attendance for Monday's senior professional workout at Appalachian State left extremely pleased with the confirmed numbers of one of the most underrated players in the country; safety Corey Lynch.

Measuring 6003 and weighing 202 pounds, the talented senior appeared un-phased by the harsh 28-degree North Carolina mountain weather while posting an impressive 4.54 and 4.58 times in the 40. Although his vertical jump of 34 ½ inches and long jump best of 9 feet, 3 inches were just adequate for the position, his 3.96-second short shuttle and 6.71-second three-cone drill were not only exceptional numbers, but matched up perfectly with his position drills which followed.

With pins in both shoulders, he's probably not going to pass every club's pre-draft physical, but believe me when I tell you, if he can hold up medically, he has the intelligence, instincts, toughness and experience to play this game for a very long time.

Posted by: marlonjohn | March 25, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I am confused...if we offered Caldwell a veteran minimum, how could that be _more_ than what he agreed to with STL? Union asleep at the wheel? Big incentives or something? Perhaps I am taking the word minimum too seriously.

Posted by: zornskins | March 25, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Reche...

No big deal. I prefer giving Anthony Mix a crack at the #3 spot.

He showed me a lot on special teams late last season, and he's a big target - 6' 5", 235 - and young (25).

Hopefully, he has good hands too.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | March 25, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Glad caldwell is gone.....poster child for just a guy in the NFL...mentioned awhile back I thought they would give Mix a real look....would be great if he turns out to be Marcus Colston....we will see after ota's and camp if he has it....

Posted by: Oldschool | March 25, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I still think we should give Jason Campbell a crack at wide receiver.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 25, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

How sorry can a 6'5" 230lb. wide receiver be (Anthony Mix)? Throw him a fade and see what happens.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 25, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Check out ESPN.com as they ranked the top 64 receivers in the league. Randy Moss was #1 and Terrel Owens was #2. I agree with Moss, but I don't think Owens is the 2nd best receiver in the league. He is not better than Steve Smith who as 3rd. I thought Plaxico Burress was better than Owens this season.

Santana Moss was ranked 33rd.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 25, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Santana Moss was ranked 33rd.

So how many teams have two receivers better than our best?

Posted by: daggar | March 25, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

4th Floor,

Gee! You're a regular Sherlock Holmes, aren't ya?

Soooo, me and Sports_Guru are the same person? Huh? Come one, brother, do I really care enough about this blog to go to those lengths?

The answer is no. I don't. You guys never cease to amaze me. Funny though, because your sniffing around is not entirely baseless. Sports_Guru is actually my best friend back east. We went to high school together and I can assure you good folks that while he may give the impression of being retarded, he is not, retarded.

His comments may appear inane, like the babblings of some foamy mouthed reform school reject, but the man behind those comments is one of the best dudes I have ever had the honor of knowing.

Yes, yes, ya' all.

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Caldwell made a couple of decent catches, but the fact that he was inactive more often than not -- amidst a desperately beat up WR corps -- was probably more telling than anything else.
I wonder if Al S. sealed the deal by telling Reche that "eyeball to eyeball, you're the biggest talent in the league".

Posted by: daggar | March 25, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, though, the image of me bouncing around from one computer to another, under two different handles, is a funny one.

LOL!

Time stamp that, 4th floor.

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I will not miss Ricochet. This just frees up space for my man Mix. A 6'5" possession receiver sounds darn good to me. The way Mix tore up special teams, I gotta think he is fearless and will have no problem going over the middle.

Posted by: CBT | March 25, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Jason Campbell covering kickoffs on special teams.

ChChChia!

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

4th, people know about lacrosse in gorgeous Prince George's (at least they did when I was growing up). As a point of fact, lacrosse was part of the phys ed curriculum during my matriculation through PGCPS in the 70s and early 80s.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | March 25, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if he signed with the rams....catching 15 passes for 141 yards with the Skins. I don't think it matters really.

Posted by: leevi98 | March 25, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of PG County, I just saw that 'The Awakening" was being moved there. Love that statue, best in all of DC, but it deserves a fabulous location, and that just doesn't seem like it ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 25, 2008 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 25, 2008 06:17 PM

**************************************************************************************

Yeah, I can't wait for the O's to lay the smackdown on the Montreal Expos, I mean washington nationals.

Baltimore O's = 2008 World Series Champs. You heard it here first.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 26, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse

late Tax Prep night.

I see a good 'ole PG comment would bring you out LH. Growing up inside the beltway, I knew of Lacrosse only from Film Highlights on the news during their final 4. Which seemed to always consist of John Hopkins/Princeton/Maryland. But, I never heard anyone talk about the sport in during my high school years (90s). You are the 2nd person, though that told me that PG County did indeed have lacrosse in the schools back in your time.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Jim Brown, best lacrosse player ever in history as well as a good RB

Posted by: DNPUrban | March 26, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

4th Floor,

Gee! You're a regular Sherlock Holmes, aren't ya?

Yes, yes, ya' all.

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 10:27 PM

I think this proved 4th was correct on three of his *

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 26, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Yes, yes, ya' all.

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 10:27 PM

You may be right. It was just a hunch. It's not like I'm gonna go out and do any research. I was just sayin.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2008 1:30 AM | Report abuse

THanks Kerzon! I still believe it too....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Actually 4th, I should have said 4 of your *

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 26, 2008 1:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure there is a medical name for it. Blogoschitzophrenia or something like that

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 26, 2008 1:55 AM | Report abuse

Liked Saunders?

Did not like going against El Mix.

Posted by: mul | March 26, 2008 2:13 AM | Report abuse

ChChChia!

Posted by: podspeak | March 25, 2008 10:45 PM

If you are referring to the strange pottery gifts of the same name, it's "ChChChChia".

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | March 26, 2008 4:56 AM | Report abuse

Did not like going against El Mix.

Posted by: mul | March 26, 2008 02:13 AM

Word has it that, similar to a mother to a young boy at the dinner table, Vinny said to Reche, "Your eyes are bigger than your hands."

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | March 26, 2008 4:59 AM | Report abuse

And that's why the Redskins decided to let Caldwell hit the free agent market again: Vinny and Reche couldn't see "eye to eye" on anything.

Posted by: TheCrickets007 | March 26, 2008 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, who would win a staring contest between those two? Somebody needs to look into getting this on pay-per-view.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Reche could beat Vinny and Dan in a staredown at the same time.

I am going to miss him though, he's a decent receiver and should do well in St Louis.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 26, 2008 7:18 AM | Report abuse

I won't miss him at all. In fact, he's proof that Washington franchises like to acquire players that I make fun of. Just like Popeye Jones and Christian Laettner with the Wizards, Lastings Milledge with the Nats, and now the look of constant wonderment that is Reche Caldwell. Maybe I should start making fun of Julius Peppers and Calvin Johnson...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Marlonjohn, thanks for the news on Corey Lych.

I guess he's not as much of a secret as I thought. Still love to see him picked if he is available in round 5 or later.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 26, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

brownie, when I saw Yo La Tengo at the 9:30 Club back in... maybe it was 2001?... they dedicated a song to Popeye Jones, who at the time was on the Wiz. It was a weird and funny moment. I wish I knew the song title; whatever it was, it was apt.

Speaking of which, hats off to me for missing the Wiz last night at the Rose Garden... not that it was much of a game, mind you, but I would have liked to represent...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I guess what I'm going to miss most about Reche is not his Marty Feldman eyes, but the thought that he could have been one of those reliable role players helping round out this roster.

The hallmark of Gibbs 1.0 was not just the excellence at the top of the roster but the fact that most of the rest of the roster were these lunch bucket dudes who when called upon would not let you down, who could be counted on the execute. And that's kind of who I thought Reche could be for us. Oh well.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

hey 4th what year did you graduate early or mid 90's?

Posted by: trailblazer658 | March 26, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Hello........

is this thing on........

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Awfully quiet, greg.

Someone should mix it up a little bit, start an argument, get things going up here. I think you're the man for the job. Go!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

TRADE CAMPBELL, PORTIS AND MOSS, FOR ANTONIO PIERCE, WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN A REDSKIN FOR LIFE!!!!
(written in all caps for emphasis)

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

one month till the draft

Posted by: trailblazer658 | March 26, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Following your lead, greg, I would humbly submit:

TRADE LaRON LANDRY FOR RYAN CLARK, WHO SHOULD HAVE BEEN A REDSKIN FOR LIFE!!!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'll get it started...

While Brett Favre is a great QB, I believe he has gotten a pass. Any black QB that led the league in interceptions would never have been given a chance to break the all time passing and touchdowns record. Some idiots even say JC was on the "short bus" and somehow is inferior to Todd Collins because he is slow.

Explain that.

Posted by: rickyroge | March 26, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Nice.....now the jibba-jabba will start to flow...I'm going to follow that up with:

MOSS, ARE, and COOLEY for COLES, WHO IS TWICE THE PLAYER THOSE 3 ARE!!!

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Fullback Nehemiah Broughton has been placed on injured reserve with a knee ligament injury. He is expected to miss the entire 2007 season.

Any news on this guy???

Posted by: trailblazer658 | March 26, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Bring back McCune!!!

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

I can top that,

All the offensive skilled players including all the QB's for Ocho Stinko, he can take the snap, and then throw himself the ball like we all used to do in our backyards, that should give him very good stats. I say we would go 16-0 and win the Superbowl with that setup.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I got some Jibba-Jabba, can anyone explain the terrible ending to No Country for Old Men to me, maybe I am an idiot but I had no idea what was going on.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Early news, Sorry 4th I know you do not like the PFT post's

STEELERS PICK A BOOGER
Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2008, 8:51 a.m.
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a Booger on their official roster. And Casey Hampton can't be blamed for it.

Per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers agreed to terms with defensive tackle Anthony "Booger" McFarland, a 1999 first-round pick of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who was traded to the Colts in 2006 for a second-round pick and was cut by Indy earlier this year after failing a physical (which for some teams is code for "refused to take a pay cut so we'll show him by attaching to his name the stigma of frailty").

On the surface, the addition of McFarland makes sense because he was in Tampa while Steelers coach Mike Tomlin served as defensive backs coach there. But the move makes us wonder whether Tomlin is plotting to begin the formal transition from the time-honored (in Pittsburgh) 3-4 defense to the 4-3, Tampa Two attack.

Tomlin wisely stuck with the 3-4 when he arrived last year, for strategic and political reasons. Staying with the 3-4 allowed the Steelers to keep hugely popular defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a 3-4 guru. And it made very good football sense, since the defense had been built to accommodate that particular style. (The Jets, in contrast, stubbornly refused to keep the 4-3 when Eric Mangini became the head coach, forcing them ultimately to trade linebacker Jonathan Vilma for an old comic book that once got wet and to try to deal defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson for a partially-consumed oversized lollipop).

Sooner or later, the Steelers under Tomlin will move to the 4-3. Having McFarland around gives them an experienced interior lineman with nearly a decade in the system.

Permalink | 1 Comment Back to Top
HAGGANS FINALLY HAS A NEW HOME
Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2008, 8:37 a.m.
Linebacker Clark Haggans was expected to find some moderate demand in free agency. Though on the wrong side of 30, he had been an effective player of late in the Steelers' 3-4 system.

But it didn't happen. He languished on the shelf like a tub of licorice-flavored yogurt, drawing only a visit to the Cleveland Browns and an eventual concession that he might have to return to the Steelers even though his agent had declared that he was outtahere (partially due to the fact that his agent also represents Haggans' backup).

And, in the end, he is outtathere. Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Haggans has agreed to terms with the Arizona Cardinals. It's a one-year deal, of unknown terms. Surely, Haggans didn't cash in.

In Arizona, Haggans will be reuinted with former Steelers assistants Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm.

The move might have come earlier, but we're told that the Cardinals were only $100,000 under the salary cap prior to the formal extension of receiver Larry Fitzgerald's contract.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Let's go back to talking about the draft. So, what do you guys think of this idea.

1. Trade out of the first round with Atlanta (their 2nd this year and next year).
2. With Atlanta's 2nd round pick we select: Trevor Laws, DT from ND (He will not be available in the 3rd round, he is a great character guy with the type of energy everyone on the team can feed off)
3. With our 2nd Round Pick: Chilo Rachal, OG from USC.
4. With our 1st 3rd Round Pick: Jordy Nelson, WR from Kansas State
5. With our 3rd Round Supp. Pick: Chareles Godfrey, CB from Iowa

What are your thoughts?

Posted by: mshawk11 | March 26, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

rickyrorge, please tell me you are joking and that you are not becoming p00lman 2.0.

JC scored a 14 on the wonderlic test - i think that is why people say he's slow. Being a good QB is more than having a good wonderlic though - Patrick Ramsey scored a 32 and Alex Smith scored a 40. There are plenty of "dumb" QBs who have success in the NFL. Donovan McNabb is probably the dumbest of them all with a wonderlic of 12, but he's been to the superbowl and would probably be a hall-of-famer if he could stay healthy and had playmakers around him.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4, a bunch of bad things happened to a bunch of people, and evil proceeded on its relentless way (Chigurh stumbling away from his car wreck), and Tommy Lee Jones sadly sought meaning in any of it.

And the Coens more or less recycled the law enforcement officer at home at the kitchen table scene from "Fargo," to good effect.

Does any of this help?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

mshawk, that trade-down scenario and those picks look good to me. However, i dont think Nelson will fall all the way to our pick in the 3rd. In that scenario, i would prefer ATLs 2nd and 3rd THIS year and select nelson with that 3rd.

That being said, everything i have read indicates ATL is wanting to trade down as well and accumulate picks because they are trying to transform their roster. i seriously doubt they would trade up for another 1st round pick - although it would be an ideal scenario for us.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

mshawk, sounds good to me.

The only thing I would change is taking Jordy Nelson with the 2nd round pick, and then taking Rachal with the 3rd round pick.

I think that trading out of the first is a definite possibility if Albert, Thomas, Sweed, and any defensive end worth his salt is off the board.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Any news on this guy???

Posted by: trailblazer658 | March 26, 2008 10:07 AM

He's about to embark on an exciting new career in insurance sales. Nationwide is on your side!

Posted by: daggar | March 26, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Does any of this help?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 10:28 AM

Nate,

Thanks, it is all clear to me now.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Here's a little something. ESPN.com's "hot read" has the ranking of the top 64 receivers in the game today. Coming in at #33 is our own Santana Moss. One step ahead at 32, his predecessor, Laverneus Coles. And one step behind Moss, at #34, the oft-debated DJ Hackett. Nowhere on the list is ARE.

While even I'll admit that Hackett is too high on that list, I'm still saying the Panthers got a steal with that signing. Especially considering the amount of money given out to guys like Bernard Berrian and Bryant Johnson.

Posted by: psps23 | March 26, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ricky,

Don't turn the whole "everyone slurps Brett Favre" thing into a race issue. Player popularity is driven almost exclusively by the media. The same people that deified Brett Favre for years are the same ones that made a big deal of Michael Vick. And he's the dumbest QB I've ever seen. Doug Williams made a pretty good life for himself based on one quarter of stellar football in Super Bowl XXII. Steve McNair, Warren Moon, and (to a lesser extent) Donovan McNabb have gotten a lot of love over the years and they're black. In fact, McNabb would probably be a legend if he played in DC or Atlanta.

Favre has the whole "aw shucks", everyman-thing that Joe Gibbs has had for years and, in general, America eats that up. Especially in Green Bay where the only thing they have to do is worship at the green-and-gold altar. And Favre's on-field antics only add to that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

psp, was preparing a scathing retort, until I re-read for clarity, and you had written this:

While even I'll admit that Hackett is too high on that list

We're, once again, in agreement.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Here is another Mock, I have not heard of this DE from USC but he had good stats and a good combine.

PICK #21 The Redskins Pick:
Lawrence Jackson (DE, USC)
It's been a tough year in Washington after the tragic passing of star S Sean Taylor. The team has rallied behind coach Joe Gibbs and veteran backup Todd Collins and into the playoffs. Clinton Portis was sensational down the stretch, and the team definitely played inspired football on defense. The Skins could still use some youth along the defensive line, and Lawrence Jackson of USC is a top-notch DE prospect. Jackson had a great career at USC, including a senior year with 9.5 sacks. A beast off the edge, Jackson also played the run well at around 270 pounds for the Trojans. At the combine, Jackson continued to perform at a high level without being noticed by many of the talking heads, putting up 31 reps on the bench and posting a 7.08 in the 3-cone drill, among the best times for a defensive lineman.

Information on Jackson

Lawrence Jackson Scouting Report
Position: DE
School & Year/Status: USC - Senior
Height & Weight: 6'5 - 265 lbs.
Ranked #37 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

jump
Three-cone 7.08
drill
20-yard 4.40
shuttle

2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
Jackson is one of the streakiest players in this year's draft. Part of this may be due to the fact that he plays on a defense full of stars at Southern California that beat him to the punch. Jackson was a preseason All-America and top ten draft prospect leading up to the 2006 college season. After a slow start to the 2006 season, he heated up to finish with 46 tackles (including 11 tackles for loss) and 4 sacks. Jackson is a great physical specimen at 6'5" and 265 pounds and has excellent size for a defensive end. He is a bit raw, but rushes the passer very well. When Jackson does not sack the passer, he does a great job of stopping quarterbacks from completing passes by either batting them down or intercepting them. Jackson is very stout at the point of attack and is great against the run; he will be a good fit as a 3-4 end you don't expect to get great pressure from, but who can stop the run. Jackson has performed well in one on one drills at the Senior Bowl. He did not disappoint at the combine, but he also didn't shock anyone with his speed or strength. He is a steady player and will be a starter in the league for years to come. Jackson has seen his stock rise over the last few weeks after the free agent signings saw so many teams desperate for 3-4 defensive ends. Jackson has proven throughout his career at one of the elite collegiate programs against top offensive tackles. Jackson could easily sneak into the bottom of the first round and will not make it late into the second round.

PICK #51 The Redskins Pick:
Devin Thomas (WR, Michigan State)

PICK #84 The Redskins Pick:
Zackary Bowman (CB, Nebraska)

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

km, thanks for posting, but there is NO-WAY Thomas makes it to #51 in the second round. Thats just not happening. This mock seems backwards to me. Most of the stuff I've read has Thomas going in the first, and Jackson going in the second.

Thomas has a good chance of being the first WR taken in this whole draft.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

We should create a site and do our own Mock we would be just as good as any of these idiots, not sure if we could make a living doing it though.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

rickyroge, good try at stirring things up.

I guess the long and short of it on Favre is that his great greatness was so greatly great that there was an unusually high tolerance for his lapses. And he was generally beloved for the aw-shucks thing that brownie noted above.

There's an applicable maxim here somewhere, something like you can't hit a lot of home runs without also striking out a lot, or you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, or some such as. Dude threw a lot of picks, but he also threw a lot of TDs. He won a lot more games than he lost, and a lot of his losses were thrilling or spectacular, in their way.

Also, the dude quarterbacked the team that won the first title in Titletown in thirty years. Which counts for a whole lot up there. So they let him stick around for another decade. Those soft-hearted, soft-headed Midwestern yokels! Ha ha ha!

I would prefer any of the 27 quarterbacks who led the Redskins to glory during that same decade, to that bum Favre.

But I know you were joking.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

No kidding, I think Gregg Easterbrook does a piece on how bad guys like Kiper, PKing, DBanks, Paul Zimmerman, do when they release their final mock drafts. For a guy like Kiper, where this is your only job, how can you be so poor at it.

I read a mock draft on Foxsports last night, that was as of 3/23, that had the Redskins selecting Cialis Campbell. This DESPITE his piss poor showing in both the combine and then getting worse at his pro-day.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

3. With our 2nd Round Pick: Chilo Rachal, OG from USC.
4. With our 1st 3rd Round Pick: Jordy Nelson, WR from Kansas State
5. With our 3rd Round Supp. Pick: Chareles Godfrey, CB from Iowa

What are your thoughts?

Posted by: mshawk11 | March 26, 2008 10:20 AM

Me likes Laws and Nelson. Laws makes a lot of sense considering who else we have at DT. Makings of a nice rotation.

Michael Mayhock ranks Laws the #4 DT in the draft, and Dre Moore the #5. I figure both might go in the second round.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 26, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4 - Since we don't live in a blogarchy, my opinion really dosen't matter much. The statement was me banging on pft.com more than you. That dude gets too full of self sometimes....

Plus, there can never be one sole source news site. You gotta sometimes read the actual articles they are qouting form yourself to get a better picture. And they miss alot of stuff too....

hey 4th what year did you graduate early or mid 90's?
Posted by: trailblazer658 | March 26, 2008 09:44 AM

1998

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

How big is Dre Moore?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 11:04 AM

Speaking of jokes, I hope you're joking there. Especially since the Redskins' "glory" from 1992 (Favre's rookie year) to the present the Skins QB situation included such gems as Jeff George, Heath Shuler, Gus Frerotte, Tony Banks and Danny Wuerffel. If the highlight of that era is Brad Johnson and a pre-concussed Trent Green, you can't say without laughing that you'd rather that Carousel of Doom over a pain-killer addiction and 275 straight starts from Favre.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 26, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

greg, i saw that same mock. i seriously think that most "professionals" dont really pay attention to what is going on as much as we would like them too. campbell was our pick for the previous mock and foxsports was just too lazy to update our pick.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Wondering about the cap space the Skins have. Depending on the draft, they might have an opportunity to release a veteran prior to June 1 and take the dead money now instead of 2009.

Last year they cut Wynn and Salavea. To keep from getting too old one might figure they have to cut a couple of old guys every year.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 26, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

4th,

I agree I do read the articles I just post the small inserps for Greg, I know what it is like being in Firewall hell.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

seth, I just don't understand how they don't get called on that crap by one of the editors. How can they expect to be taken seriously as a sports related web-site when this is the kind of stuff they're putting out there.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

How big is Dre Moore?

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 11:16 AM

6'4" 305

Posted by: skinfanman | March 26, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I do not know were everyone is today, but the Washington DC area is beautiful today I should be on the Golf course, screw work I have been patching servers all day.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

skins, thanks.

The best part about the draft is, having options like the Redskins do this year. To me, thats what makes this time of year exciting. They have the opportunity to not only improve the team, but get younger at the same time.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

km, I'm working south of Boston, its in the low 50's here. It needs to get much warmer for my tastes though....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

OK Greg,

I got a hard one for you what would you do if Albert and Otah are available at 21?

Lets include the above and throw in Limas Sweed.

I just do not see a good DE falling to us.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

This probably isnt news to anyone but me, but i just read that James Hardy is 6'7. 6'7! With his size, speed, and hands, he could be the next randy moss.

Someone please remind me why drafting a WR in the 1st round is moronic.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Seth,

I do not think it is moronic, it's risky and alot of people up here have seen this team get burned by drafting WR in the first round. I say if a reciever you like is there, and you think he is way more talented then what you could get in the 2nd round then you go for it. I also think going O-line in the first is a very safe pick.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

2008 Remaining Unrestricted Free Agents

Unsigned free agents with more than four years of NFL experience (does not include players under contract who were released):

Arizona
Rodney Bailey, DT; Mitch Berger, P; Ralph Brown, DB; Oliver Celestin, DB; Tim Hasselbeck, QB; Bhawoh Jue, DB; Ross Kolodziej, DE; Tim Rattay, QB; Joe Tafoya, DE; Matt Ware, DB.

Atlanta
Morten Andersen, K; Chris Crocker, DB; Omare Lowe, DB.

Baltimore
B.J. Sams, KR; Gerome Sapp, DB; Musa Smith, RB.

Buffalo
Mario Haggan, LB; Ryan Neufeld, TE; RB; Josh Stamer, LB; Al Wallace, DE.

Carolina
Deke Cooper, DB; Curtis Deloatch, DB; Christian Fauria, TE; Terrence Melton, LB; Mike Rucker, DE; Vinny Testaverde, QB.

Chicago
Ruben Brown, G; Antonio Garay, DT.

Cincinnati
Aaron Elling, K; Lemar Marshall, LB; Caleb Miller, LB; Bryan Robinson, DE.

Cleveland
Keith Adams, LB; Tim Carter, WR; Nat Dorsey, T; Bobby Hamilton, DE; Ethan Kelley, DT; Seth McKinney, G; Matt Stewart, LB; Ted Washington, DT.

Denver
Stephen Alexander, TE; Nick Ferguson, DB; Cecil Sapp, RB.

Detroit
Idrees Bashir, DB; Barry Stokes, T; Troy Walters, WR.

Green Bay
Rob Davis, LS; Ryan Krause, TE; Craig Nall, QB; Tyson Walter, C; Tracy White, LB.

Houston
Roc Alexander, DB; Ron Dayne, RB; Cedric Killings, DT; Jason Simmons, DB; Fred Weary, G; Dexter Wynn, DB.

Indianapolis
Aaron Moorehead, WR; Mike Seidman, TE.

Jacksonville
Terry Cousin, DB; Aaron Glenn, DB; Grady Jackson, DT; Stockar McDougle, T.

Kansas City
John Carney, K; Eddie Drummond, WR; Samie Parker, WR; Kyle Turley, T; Kris Wilson, TE.

Miami
Chris Liwienski, G; Gene Mruczkowski, G; Mike Rosenthal, T; Lance Schulters, DB; Donnie Spragan, LB; Travares Tillman, DB.

Minnesota
Mike Doss, DB; Darrion Scott, DE.

New England
Troy Brown, WR; Mel Mitchell, DB; Chad Scott, DB; Junior Seau, LB.

New Orleans
Jay Bellamy, DB; Steve Gleason, DB; Jamie Martin, QB; Fred Thomas, DB; Renaldo Wynn, DE.

N.Y. Giants
Russell Davis, DT; Ryan Kuehl, LS.

N.Y. Jets
Victor Hobson, LB; Hank Poteat, DB; Wade Smith, C; Marques Tuiasosopo, QB.

Oakland
Jarrod Cooper, DB; Daunte Culpepper, QB; Tim Dwight, WR; Reshard Lee, RB; Jeremy Newberry, C.

Philadelphia
Reno Mahe, RB; Ian Scott, DT; Kimo Von Oelhoffen, DT.

Pittsburgh
Marquis Cooper, LB; Nick Eason, DE; Clark Haggans, LB; Verron Haynes, RB; Dan Kreider, RB; Brian St. Pierre, QB.

St. Louis
Milford Brown, G; Brandon Gorin, T; Andy McCollum, C; Hanik Milligan, DB; Raonall Smith, LB; Todd Steussie, T; Aaron Walker, TE.

San Francisco
Larry Allen, G; Bryan Gilmore, WR; Michael Lewis, WR; Donald Strickland, DB; Chris Weinke, QB; Bryant Young, DE.

Seattle
Bennie Joppru, TE; Marcus Pollard, TE; Jeff Robinson, TE; Josh Scobey, RB; Floyd Womack, T.

Tampa Bay
Mike Alstott, RB; Mark Jones, WR; Matt Lehr, C; Michael Pittman, RB; Jerramy Stevens, TE; Jeremiah Trotter, LB; John Wade, C.

Tennessee
Chidi Iwuoma, DB; Eric Moulds, WR; Robert Reynolds, LB; Rich Scanlon, LB.

Washington
Rick DeMulling, G; T; Randall Godfrey, LB; Brian Kozlowski, TE; Keenan McCardell, WR; Pierson Prioleau, DB; Mike Pucillo, C; Omar Stoutmire, DB; Ross Tucker, C.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

What about Adarius Bowman, it looks like he will fall to the 3rd round. He reminds me alot of Anquan Boldin with his ability to evade and break through tackles, important in the west coast when you get the ball quick and you need after the catch abilities (see Green Bay).

Posted by: mrodlauer | March 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Anyone stand out on that list?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Washington

Have the Skins offered a contract to any of these?

Posted by: skinfanman | March 26, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Adarius Bowman
WR | (6'2", 220, 4.48) | OKLAHOMA STATE

Strengths: A late bloomer with an outstanding combination of height, bulk and straight-line speed. A massive target with long arms and big hands. Excels on vertical routes and is a big-play waiting to happen. He does a great job of using his body to shield defenders on slants, posts, etc. Also wins most jump ball battles. Is deceptively fast because he builds speed as he goes and will get over the top of DB's quicker than they think. Shows the ability to make the acrobatic catch and has strong hands to pluck the ball away from defenders in heavy traffic. Not afraid to go over the middle. He's a tough runner after the catch. Very difficult for DB's to bring down one-on-one. Gives a good effort as a blocker. Is big and strong enough to dominate most CB's at the point of attack once locked on.

Weaknesses: Needs to show more consistent focus. Drops too many catchable passes. Seems to fight the ball at times and lets it get into his pads too often. Lacks explosive initial burst and will need to improve his array of release moves to compensate in the NFL. Still too sloppy as a route runner. Rounds off too many of his routes and isn't crisp enough getting in and out of breaks  particularly on intermediate routes. Could have significantly more trouble separating in the NFL if he doesn't improve the crispness of his routes. He's not overly elusive after the catch and he lacks the initial burst to explode up the field right away  he needs a crease or to break a tackle in order to make big gains after the catch. Effort and size/strength are good as a stalk blocker but he must improve his technique and angles.

Overall: Bowman attended North Carolina as a freshman and sophomore (2003-'04), appearing in 18 games (two starts) and finishing his Tar Heels career with 28 receptions for 510 yards (18.2 average) and five touchdowns. He transferred to Oklahoma State in 2005, sitting out the season in accordance with NCAA regulations. Bowman immediately was a force for the Cowboys, piling up 127 catches for 2,187 yards (17.2 average) and 20 TDs in 24 games (all starts) during his two years in Stillwater (2005-'06). Bowman was dismissed from North Carolina after being cited for marijuana possession (a charge that was later dismissed). He played five games on the Oklahoma State basketball squad during the 2006-07 season. Bottom line: Bowman possesses an outstanding combination of size, top-end speed and athletic ability. However, he is an unpolished route runner that will struggle to separate versus good man-to-man cover corners in the NFL. Furthermore, his inconsistent hands are troubling. Bowman's stock has taken a big hit for those reasons. Despite his outstanding natural tools, he could easily slip to the third round of the 2008 draft.

Posted by: mrodlauer | March 26, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

why is ross tucker on that list? And hasnt McCardell signed somewhere else?

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I felt a tremor in the force the other day. It was as if all the running backs cried out at once that there were no holes to run through and were then silent. It was the exact moment Jason Panini signed his contract.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | March 26, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Anyone stand out on that list?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 26, 2008 12:06 PM

Stephan Alexander (HE's still playing?!?!?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Is stephan Alexander lik ekryptonite or do I just smell os bad no one wants to post after me?

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 26, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Stephen Alexander was a pretty good TE for a few years, as I recall. A lot of other years have passed since those few years. I too am surprised he was under contract last season.

What else ya got, 4th? Taxes?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 26, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

km, having those three guys available at 21 will be a coup for the Skins. But suck at the same time. If I had to choose, I'd go Albert, based on his ability to slide out to Tackle, and that Otah has only been playing football for 5 years or so.

The most important thing if those three guys drop, is that the #21 pick suddenly had more value than it did previously. Trade it to the highest bidder.

James Hardy is 6'5. He's not 6'7.

Adarius Bowman, "Drops too many catchable passes".

Rod, meet Adarius.

Adarius, meet Rod.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

From the list above, this guy from Redcoat's 'Fins intrigues me...Gene Mruczkowski, G

Well, intrigued by the possibilities of name butchery by Buges, that is. Yeah, I still got nothin'.

Stupid work. I should be on the golf course. With beer.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 26, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

4, I was thinking that too about Mruck, however none of those names stand out. Mike Doss, maybe, but not much to choose from.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I love this B-Mitch killed the Skins for spending in FA, and now he is killing them for lowballing Hackett, he of course never mentions the fact that Hackett has never played a full season. I like the JT show but sometimes they make very stupid comments.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

bmitch, needs to take his sorry, axe to grind attitude and get over it. Guys like that are just so easy to figure out. Had the Redskins signed DJ, it would have been just the opposite approach, "how could they sign a guy who never played a full season". Whomever they draft in the first round, it will be, "well so and so was still on the board, I would have gone with them instead".

I liked him when he played for the Redskins but how long has it been since they released him? 8 years or so? Time to move on brian.....

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

i have seen hardy's height at anywhere from 6'4-5/8 to 6'7. likely his true height is on the lower end of the spectrum, but you never can know for sure. i mean, we list santana moss as 5'10 when he is really only about 5'8.

i still think albert is the smartest pick for us if he is there at 21.

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Greg,

Doc Walker is the only guy that is on local radio, with ties to the Skins who actually tells it like it is. B-Mitch hates on everything they do and never backs up what he says with facts. I was also pissed when coack Thompson let Lavar come on his show and trash the Skins, and they did not question him at all, they just sat there and agreed.

Posted by: kmdp4 | March 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

km, hope your beer and pizza left you better than my patron and XX left me.

Here is an article just read. Any one have info on Sam Baker. My head is just not there for searching the web.

Dan Gets Older, Dan Gets Smarter
Share | Print
Maybe Dan Snyder has finally figured out how to build a winning football team.

After spending free-agency money like a drunken sailor with little to show for it, the Washington Redskins owner may finally be growing out of his fan phase--as in "Let's sign Deion Sanders--he's a star!" The Redskins have been wallflowers at this year's free-agency dance.

With his team already capped out and with every starter signed for next year, Snyder resisted the temptation to bring in some fading star by private plane and sign him to a multimillion-dollar deal. The early signings always are the most expensive and the most overpaid.

Instead the Redskins appear ready to concentrate on the draft. After having just one pick in the first four rounds each of the last two seasons, they go into the draft this year with picks in the first three rounds.

Because they don't have any gaping holes, they have the luxury of taking the best player available. But they're in a tricky position picking 21st in the first round. The blue chips will be gone.

If a good defensive end is on the board, they may grab him. When the New York Giants upset the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl, they showed the value of a good pass rusher.

The Redskins need another one to complement Andre Carter, who led the team with 101⁄2 sacks last year.

Two defensive ends to keep an eye on: Derrick Harvey of Florida and Calais Campbell of Miami. Both came out after their junior seasons.

Campbell, a six-foot-eight, 280-pounder, saw his stock drop when he had six sacks as a junior after having 101⁄2 as a sophomore. He didn't shine in the scouting combine. But if he falls to 21, the Redskins may figure he has too much potential to pass up.

Harvey is a six-foot-five, 271-pounder who had 81⁄2 sacks last year and is quick off the ball.

The Redskins also could look at wide receiver, where James Hardy of Indiana, Malcolm Kelly of Oklahoma, and Limas Sweed of Texas are possibilities.

There could be two good options at offensive tackle: Sam Baker of USC and Jeff Otah of Pittsburgh. Both have good size.

This is a critical draft for the Redskins. They finally get that the draft is the foundation for good teams. Now let's make the most of it.

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 26, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Seth, if you go to nfldraftcountdown.com, they have the measurements from the combine, and I think you're right, he measured in at 6'4 5/8.

Yeah, the local sports talk radio up here is largely populated by mindless lemmings, as I'm sure the same holds true in every sports city. Its all ball-washing. If you don't ball wash then no one comes on your show.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

4th 97 here who was your mascot?

Posted by: trailblazer658 | March 26, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

kerz, after Malcolm Kelly ran a 4.7, there is no way that ANY team is taking that cat in the first round.

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Greg, I agree, and I though I heard about injury concerns. This is the first I see of us looking at Sam Baker at 21.

Posted by: kerzon417 | March 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious AM2DStix

Posted by: Skinz | March 26, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

beepx2

Posted by: gregmarino88 | March 26, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

malcom kellys stock has fallen so far, i read somewhere he might not even get taken in the 2nd round

Posted by: SETH.LEMASTER | March 26, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I believe Kelly's stock is currently dropping because he has not run for scouts yet... he did not actively participate in the Combine or Oklahoma pro day due to rehabbing a thigh injury. He has an individual workout scheduled for sometime around April 10th, from what I recall reading. If he shows good speed in that workout, he probably won't fall to #21... but if he does, his combination of size, strength, hands, and RAC ability would be tempting! Of course, if a quality DE somehow falls to us at #21, that pick would be a no brainer...

Posted by: PDXskin | March 26, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse