Is Matt Jones Worth the Trouble for Skins?

As you can tell by the headline of this post, I've gotten more emails since the Jay Cutler flurry -- this time concerning Matt Jones, the Jacksonville wide receiver/tight end who was released by the Jags after another run-in with the law.

While his size (6-6) and talent make him tempting for a team that could use a taller target, this is not someone I'd consider bringing into my building at this point. He is awaiting a trial date next month and has had drug and alcohol issues.

I can't see any reason to rush into anything, and Jones, a fast riser in the 2005 draft, is already in the league's offenders program and was suspended for three games at the end of last season for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. It seems unlikely that any team will push to get him right now, with all of this swirling around him.

When Joe Gibbs was running the show, I didn't get many emails when questionable characters hit the street because it was obvious the Skins just weren't going to go there. And, particularly in a case as extreme as this, I'd have to think that has not changed.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 17, 2009; 11:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell Excited about "Chance to Lead"
Next: Daniels Uncertain of Skins' Interest

Comments

He'd be a perfect fit in Dallas, along with the other criminals.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | March 17, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

In addition to being a coke head, he just isn't all that good, just put on the tape. He may have run a 4.3 at the combine, but he does not translate that speed to the field. He is a plodder who can exploit some matchups due to his size, but really he got most of his balls last year by virtue of the fact that the Jags had no one else to throw to. We're much better off hoping that Malcolm Kelly develops.

Posted by: Ehren | March 17, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I personally like how our team is shaping up.

F All Day Negativity

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Every time I saw the guy I thought he should be playing Speed TE not WR.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 17, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Let's keep who we've got and let the 'boys take him. I understand their bail bondsmen are feeling the recession.

Posted by: SkinsfaninPeru | March 17, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"All that money tied into those contracts has no effect on the future?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

With the way those contracts are doled out, and with the way the contracts of the rest of the roster are structured (most of the large, aging ones to be voided after 2010) their impact will be minimal.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, I think we can use the guy.

Never did I see him line up as a tight end, though.

He prob won't get signed until after his trial. After that we pounce on him with a Vet's Min offer for one year......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

He's really not worth the trouble. The skins have plenty of "potential", "potential" kept the bench warm last year, let the young kids develop without some jackass leading them the wrong way

Posted by: showell81 | March 17, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Psps23,

You'll obviously back ANYTHING the FO does, and I'm punch drunk from years of promises of greatness and 8-8 finishes so I'll just say agree to disagree.

But the point I'm making is that you're looking exclusively at this offseason and calling it a win. I disagree. You have to lump in last offseason with this one because we're not scrambling for a DE, T and a LB this year if Vinny doesn't go apesh!t on pass catchers in the 2nd round of last year's draft. Not making the Taylor trade alone would have put them in better stead this year.

This team needs to put together 3 or 4 good offseasons in a row or win a Super Bowl (whichever comes first) to get the benefit of the doubt from me. It's "same 'ol FO" in my book until then.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The real reason Matt jones was let go:

Per reports from SOURCES inside the jaguar locker room.

Matt Jones received several complaints from Jaguar field maintance crews over the years, they were tired of cleaning up after him.
Apparently he would go on COKE binges and get so high that he would come to the Jaguar facility late at night and pass out on the field. apparently he would be so high that we would come to the field and try to snort the yard lines of the grass, on a couple of occasions it actually worked.
the grounds crew got tired of having to do rush jobs to put the paint lines back on the field before practice.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | March 17, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

And pass on Matt Jones...another workout warrior who had a great combine that didn't mean jack once he got on the gridiron. Not every QB-turned-WR works out, and he's a big example of that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

maybe he can help sleepy davis stay awake and alert

Posted by: notthecrochunter | March 17, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Last year, we didn't have a problem at LB, T, and DE.

* We had MWash who stayed injured.

* We had Heyer who JZ messed up by not reinserting him in the line up.

* We had acquired JTMoFo who never was injured the previous 11 seasons who was injured 2x and deemed ineffective, which is not consistent with his past 11 years of service.

Remember, hindsight is 50/50........

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

No to Jones. Teammates in Jax said he has loads of talent but a lousy work ethic. To whom much is given much is required and Jones does no get it.

Posted by: Stevie-J | March 17, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Really, if there's anything to have confidence in Snyder in, it's dealing with the salary cap. Nobody does it better."

Yea, he has around 8 or 9 Offseason Super Bowl trophies.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:05 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

How about just a simple NO.

He probably only ran that fast cause he was all coked up!

Kelly and Thomas will be better this year. Zorn has to integrate them into his system and not keep blaming their ability to learn plays. If they're stupid, just develop smaller packages for them. Don't tell me Desean Jackson is up in Philly reading BioPhysics journals and learning how to speak Latin inbetween practices. But somehow they got him the ball. We need to do the same.

HAIL

Posted by: carsonspence | March 17, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Our receivers are fine. We got three good ones last year in the draft - they have a year under their belt - although none played/contributed that much - they'll be a pleasant surprise this year. If we wanted a problem we could have brought in T.O.

Posted by: AsstGM | March 17, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Doc will be speaking to Vinny today.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Brownwood, the last thing I've been on this blog is an FO apologist...prior to this offseason. I ripped them for taking 3 WRs (essentially) early last draft, I ripped them for drafting a grand total of 2 linemen combined, I ripped them for drafting a punter, I said on here that I was extremely skeptical of Taylor's play regardless of draft picks given up, I said I hated the fact they gave up multiple picks for him, I ripped the FO (and any fans) that were obsessed with "big" WRs when any competent WR would have done fine (like Jackson or Royal), and I ripped them for their selection of Jim Zorn (as well as his second half performance).

But THIS offseason, they got it right. Whether by chance, by luck, or by choice, they got it right.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Matt Jones' highlight reel plays Houdini's, "White lines, runnin' through my mind....," as it show Mr. Jones fumbling the chance to be a quality NFL player.

Avoid this guy.

I think one of the remaining vet corners--Bly--might make a good litttle pick up.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 17, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone explain what is so great about Matt Jones? I don't understand the Hype.

Posted by: Veretax | March 17, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:17 PM

Time will tell...I still think Haynesworth was a bad idea, and I can still see them screwing up this year's draft as bad as last year's. Things could turn for the better, but I'm just not counting on it. I'm going to assume that every move this team makes is a bad one from here on out and the way I see it, worst case scenario is that I'm right.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 12:14 PM

That is the biggest lie ever. They don't take less money.

They don't draft well. They just draft better than the redskins for the most part, which shouldn't be a marker. And after their rookie contract, players are rarely resigned by those teams. Most never see a 3rd contract.

the redskins have acknowledged past mistakes and this is the reason they overpay in the offseason. Atleast they do something to correct their issues, but no one acknowledges that.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"Nobody, that is, except for the Colts, Pats and Steelers who draft well, don't overpay for outside FAs and get their own FAs to stay for less because they know they'll be in a position win annually. Other than that, nobody...

Posted by: brownwood26"

Drafting well is not manipulating the salary cap. If anything, that's reason as to why Snyder's even better at manipulating the cap in order to add pieces that don't work out because of poor draft selections.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should skip Matt Jones. Zorn doesn't need character guy problems ... even though we've brought more of that into the fold.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

He'll make a good target for Vick in the prison league.

Posted by: dfbovey | March 17, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Nothing about this offseason so far prevents the team from building through the draft. Nothing."

All that money tied into those contracts has no effect on the future?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 11:57 AM |

You are looking at the overall contract, the only thing that matters is what counts against the cap each year.

These three cost more toward the cap then the newly added three.
Chris Samuels- 6,978

Santana Moss- 6,753

Clinton Portis- 5,671

About 19.5

AH- 7,000

D. Hall- 5,200

Derrick Dockery- 3,200

About 15.4

The same holds true for next year, so don't look at the overall contract look at what the contract cost per year to the salary cap.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Veretax | March 17, 2009 12:21 PM

I think he is the truth. I've seen enough Jagaurs' games and had him on my fantasy team (meaning I've followed game by game stats of him) since his rookie season to know this.

Lokk who his QB has been the past 2 years. Gerrad. He throws the ball less than JC17. Very conservative. And he fell in Del Rio's doghouse the past year.

If he can sudside his coke habit and never return to Arkansas, I think he will do very well.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but carsonspences post was laugh out loud funny...and about as SPOT ON, as a post can be.

Veni Vidi Vici

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

This is a 4 year contract for AH he will either be released after year 4 which will cost 5.2mil in dead cap, actually less then Brandon Lloyd did, or he will be given a restructured contract.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

With the limited cap left,the Skins need to focus on RT, DE and OLB. For WR, its about hoping at least one of the kids shows up.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

There isn't any hype aurrounding Matt "Ain't my blow, F it toss me a brew" Jones...
-------------------------------
***Red Winded Jib***

F Tuesdays...

can't think of a more useless day of the week.

Monday = Beginning of the work week for most.

Wednesday = Hump Day, a good day for that activity too in the literal sense, if you ask me.

Thursday = Sort of like a fake Friday to me. Yeah, the next day is usually a work day, but Thursday has a wrap up feeling to me - usually I'm trying to get everything done so on...

Friday = I come to work and chill - for the most part. Although it's a work day, it feels nothing like it, especially when you have plans that evening or when it's a nice day outside. AND for a lot of 9-5 working individuals (aka SUCKERS) like myself, it's payday!

Saturday = Best. Day. Of. The. Week. This shouldn't be an argument with anyone. Simply put: If you don't like Saturdays, f you.

Sunday = Where to start? Football, recovery from the night before, mornin' after from the night before;), total relaxation, family dinners - oh yeah, and practicing your religious beliefs, if you have'em.

Best days of the week in order:

Saturday
Friday
Sunday
Thursday
Wednesday
Monday
Tuesday

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:24 PM

Um, if guys aren't resigned by those teams IT'S BECAUSE THEY'VE ALREADY DRAFTED A VIABLE REPLACEMENT! Something our Skins would know nothing about. The Steelers only resign their elite players, and it's worked out pretty well for them to this point. The Colts don't really get hometown discounts I'll admit, but they obviously don't need them since they've got at least 4 guys who rank in the top 5 at their position.

Psps23, drafting well is a way of manipulating the salary cap technically, since you're getting the best years of a player's career for cheap and allowing someone else (usually the Skins) to pay the big bucks for him on the downturn. If Haynesworth plays 6 years at the 2008 level, then I'll eat my words. That is highly unlikely, so I stand by my assessment.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 17, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The Vick/jail jokes are about as stale and funny as the Leigh Torrence jokes.

j/s

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Carson. I love how things get said by jla, who everyone claims knows nothing, yet are taken as gospel. I think at least one, prob 2 if not all three of the triplets (11,12,86) will be good. I hope they render ARE irrelevant. On the jla topic too, I'm not giving up on rinehart yet either. He's still an unknown and people were hopeful until jla "sources" said in private meetings he sucks. F that. And buges doesn't like him? Well buges pushed to draft him so make it work! He's supposed to be a hardworking kid who cares, I remember a dm jla article about him putting in extra time after practice! Now sources have redskin nation giving up on the kid. I think our offense improves this year. A lot.

Posted by: AdamCr | March 17, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

BW - Then tell me why the Pats are signing Social Security aged players this year?

Springs and Galloway are in their 13th/14th year. Both were injured most of last year and are expected to contribute mightily this coming year......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

i dont think they should trade down in the draft 13 pick has a better chance of a player that could start right away. look what happened to us last year trade out of first round and no immediate impact by any player we got by trading our first round pick

Posted by: mudman220 | March 17, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah... I can't think of anyone with past or current behavioral issues that we've ponied up for at all. Nope, not a one.. no sir. Not us. No criminals here...

("Al - stop kicking the body!")

...maps...

And for that last post RE: Soup, is anyone else concerned that JC thought he "looked pretty good last season"?!

I'm all for givin the man another chance, but that almost seems like he's in denial. That won't work.

Hail!

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 17, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

So...no to the Jay-Cutler-to-Matt-Jones combo in maroon and black? (It just occurred to me that everyone had considered them separately. And rejected them separately.)

Posted by: CindyBoren | March 17, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Brown,

The Colts have plenty of salary cap problems, they have all there money tied up in a few players.

The Colts are going to be in big trouble in a few years, when Manning no longer has it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Then tell me why the Pats are signing Social Security aged players this year?"

Pats are on the cusp of the Super Bowl, like they have been for years now. That is the prime time to sign vets for cheap that might help you get over the hump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they're sacrificing draft picks either.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Red,

That is very well reasoned, and I understand where you're coming from. Now, if you were a retiree with school age children the best day of the week would be Monday, because that's when they go back to school and the house is quiet.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | March 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Hey check out Florio's assessment of the 2005 first round draft class:

"9. Carlos Rogers, cornerback, Redskins: He’s on the path to being declared a bust. We’ll give him one more year."

"25. Jason Campbell, quarterback, Redskins: Campbell is on his way to becoming a solid starter, and could evolve into one of the better signal-callers in the conference. Not a bust."

Just some fodder...

Posted by: matthewvickers | March 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Pats with a healthy Tom Brady*

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

For a number 9 pick I think Carlos could have played a lot better.

If he catches half of the Int's. he dropped he would be considered a very good player.

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Pats with a healthy Tom Brady*

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 12:44 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | March 17, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Yea, the Patriots aren't in the same vein as the Steelers and Colts.

A list of Patriots through the years brought in from the outside: Moss, Welker, Donte Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillon, Junior Seau, Adalius Thomas, Roosevelt Colvin, Ted Washington, Mike Vrabel, and now Shawn Springs and Joey Galloway. I'm sure there are more that I've missed, but they have absolutely no aversion to paying money to bring in guys from the outside.

Colts and Steelers, yes, largely built from within. Patriots, not as much.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"They hope, he will also have some fear of injury to get over, before he returns to his old self."

Maybe, but if you're the Pats you've got to strike the iron while it's hot. QB's like Peyton and Brady only come around so often, you've got to try to give them some tools to win Championships. Even while they're still drafting pretty well (Mayo), the future is never as bright when a guy like Brady rides off into the sunset.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Carlos surprised me last year with the improvement in his play. I thought he might be in deep trouble, as CBs need all their quickness and Rogers injury was pretty significant.

If Rogers continues to improve, he'll be fine. You can debate if he's worthwhile at #9, but he won't be a bust.

Rogers biggest risk is injury, as has had significant injuries in multiple seasons.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Last year the Jaguars were playing one of those shi!!y Ohio teams, and Matt Jones dropped the potential game winning TD pass.

just sayin'...

Last year PFT came out with the players they believed to be busts from the 2005 draft.

So if the general consensus is that a player needs three years before he be declared a bust, what is the status of the '06 draft class?

'06 Draft:

28. Jacksonville - Marcedes Lewis, TE

29. NY Jets - Nick Mangold, C

30. Indianapolis - Joseph Addai, RB

31. Seattle - Kelly Jennings, CB

32. N.Y. Giants - Mathias Kiwanuka, DE

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"Colts and Steelers, yes, largely built from within. Patriots, not as much."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"18. Dallas - Bobby Carpenter, LB"

hahaha.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

No to Matt Jones. I have had him on plenty of fantasy teams...Not sure what the heck 4th is talking about. This is a no brainer pass.....

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

psp, fred taylor, sammie morris, among others......

red, Vernon Davis seems like the biggest bust of that draft, given how high he was taken and his lack of production....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

What about Vince Young?

Think Ngata would go in the top 5 in a re-draft?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

yod, good call on VY....my bad...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

"All have a winning identity brought about by stability though. Whether it be ownership, coach or key player.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

Yep, that's why it isn't a big deal that Haynesworth and Hall were brought in. They won't be the one's that dictate the future of the franchise. What's really going to make the difference is Zorn and Campbell. If those two turn out to be the real deal, Hall and Haynesworth will simply be gravy on top. If they don't, Hall and Haynesworth will seem like failures because the team won't be winning. Like Portis, Moss, and Fletcher, those two added this offseason are just pieces to the puzzle that's headed by Zorn and Campbell.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV

The problem is we as fans have created our own standard for NFL players to become stars. If they are not stars by the time their rookie contracts are up we call them bust because we compare everyone to some player in their position who did become a star his first or second year. We compare every young QB to Big Ben, Manning and Brady. Players use to ride the bench their first 2 seasons and learn from the vets. Now we expect them to play their rookie season and already know what teams use to give a player 3 years or more to learn. Most players are not going to live up to that standard and paying them a lot of money does not increase the chances of them doing any better. We have to give players time. Skins fans are calling the three rookies drafted in last years draft bust before their rookie seasons were even over. How do you live up to that? Imagine if we did our kids that way. They would all be declared mentally deficient by the time they were in the 4th grade because they could not learn to play the piano and algebra like some other kid did by the same age. Most of us would be considered bust at our own professions if we were under the same scrutiny as we put today's professional athletes.

Posted by: ged0386 | March 17, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

"I love when people try to bash the colts/pats/steelers....way to dig in the wet sand there. Just admit they know what they are doing, tip your hat and move on...

Posted by: chrislarry"

It ain't a knock CL, just examples to show you that there isn't one set manner for building a team.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

matthewvickers, nice post. Funny how many impartial observers (Madden, Florio, Kurt Warner, among others) consider JC17 a very talented QB who will get better... and yet there are knuckelheads on RI talking about trading him for that malcontent Cutler or some unknown "playmaker".

But JC's not "emotional" enough for some here... I guess they want George Costanza for QB.

Posted by: Alan4 | March 17, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Only if we could get him for the NFL minimum. I think this is his last shot so if he wants to play again he will clean up his act or get into a new profession.

Posted by: ged0386 | March 17, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

As far as the pats go, having Brady as the qb, is the be all end all for that team. Bill couldn't head-coach his way out of a paperbag until Brady came along. Brady, who is probably the Greatest QB of all time, makes EVERYONE a genius.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"When Joe Gibbs was running the show, I didn't get many emails when questionable characters hit the street because it was obvious the Skins just weren't going to go there."

UNWRITTEN but INFERRED, just being assiduous in noting that this would Mr. Haynesworth and perhaps Mr. Hall. Preferring Mr. Springs even with his history of injuries.

We'll have to see what the future holds but if Snidely's past is any indication the Skins will again become the "One Life To Live", "General Hospital" of the NFL ... along with the Rayduhs.

Posted by: periculum | March 17, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Red's Top 10 Selection Busts In '06:

2. New Orleans - Reggie Bush, RB
3. Tennessee - Vince Young, QB
6. San Francisco - Vernon Davis, TE
10. Arizona - Matt Leinart, QB

Of course, these guys have time to turn their careers around and start to quantify their round/PICK selection - to me where you're picked + production = whether or not you're a bust.

You can be a productive player, but if your production doesn't equate to where that player was drafted, then that player should be labled a bust.

Funny how three of those players had the most hype coming out of college (Bush, Leinart, and Young), and really haven't been as good as advertised or hyped.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

red, how much do you take into consideration that RBush is dating KKardash?? I mean, thats gotta count for something....right...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Yep, that's why it isn't a big deal that Haynesworth and Hall were brought in. They won't be the one's that dictate the future of the franchise. What's really going to make the difference is Zorn and Campbell."

I agree that Zorn and Campbell will get most of the scrutiny, but I would say the FO dictates the future of the franchise. I mean aren't they the ones who originally hired Zorn as the OC (not to mention subjecting JC to different systems every year)? Rooney in Pittsburgh is the prime example. He's hired what? 3 coaches? Coincidence that they're the 1st team to win 6 Super Bowls? I'm not sure, but I do know that once upon a time the Skins had a tradition and an identity as a team. That tradition has been lost among the waves of big name FA's and coaching staffs. I think it is up to the FO to regain that tradition through stability...which scares me a little.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Nice point Red, about those guys who all played in that amazing USC-Texas bowl game, all underperforming, to date, in the NFL

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

well said, ged0386.

I agree, give a dude time before you rate him as a bust or not.

Really hated to read last year that Kelly and Thomas were busts last year - In their rookie season.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Zorn:

Zorny,

You are important to this team. Just not as important as the defense. We expect to win on defense, which is why you won't be getting a RT or any new WRs. Good luck.

Dan the Man

PS, no help on special teams, either

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 17, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Oh indeed, but scoring with Kmmy K isn't the same as scoring on the football field...

I bet Reggie Bush doesn't go east/west as much with Kimmy K... I'd be all north/south, gotta keep it in the hash marks.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | March 17, 2009 1:01 PM

Why are the Colts in the conversation? They won one SB as of late.

With the Greatest QB of his era, I would say that is a GNORMOUS disappoinment for that team, IMHO.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

From the Washington Times

Receivers all missing from Redskins workouts

Redskins 360 (View Blog)
POSTED March 17 2009 1:10 PM BY David Elfin Print
Listen
Font Size Share
Ask a Question
You Report
It's a good thing training camp is still more than four months away, because while nearly all of the rest of the Redskins have been on hand for the start of the offseason conditioning program the last two days, there hasn't been a receiver in sight.

Starters Santana Moss (Florida) and Antwaan Randle (Illinois) are often working out at home this time of year and fellow veteran James Thrash has been at the NFL Players Association meetings in Maui as Washington's player rep.

But whither youngsters Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly?

The pair of 2008 second-round picks combined for just 18 catches, 138 yards and no receiving touchdowns in their disapponting rookie seasons that began with them earning the scorn of coach Jim Zorn for their poor workout habits leading into training camp. So probably no Redskins need to be here more than Thomas and Kelly, but they've been absent.

Kelly apparently had his troublesome knee scoped again in January, but veteran guard Randy Thomas had neck surgery that month and he has been at the Park both days.

The absences of Devin Thomas and Kelly don't bode well for their futures nor for a much-needed improvement by the Redskins' offense in Zorn's second season.

Quarterback Jason Campbell is the key to Washington's season, but he won't succeed without targets to throw to. And, as Pro Bowl tight end Chris Cooley (who's here, working out) said on Monday, Devin Thomas and Kelly need to step up,

Posted by: eauzmendi | March 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 17, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Malcolm Kelly busting his butt at Redskins park, as he so suggested following last season?

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Crazy, ain't it? That was the best college football game (USC/Texas) I've ever seen given the storylines, what was on the line, and quality of play.

To think that the three biggest stars in that game have been mediocre at best is wild to me.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eauzmendi | March 17, 2009 1:28 PM

He has targets! The guy just can't hit them!!

Jason Campbell is the entire reason that our offense hass been stagnant the past few years! Before that, Brunell was the reason!

We need a decent QB, not a place holder.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Red's Top 10 Selection Busts In '06:

2. New Orleans - Reggie Bush, RB
3. Tennessee - Vince Young, QB
6. San Francisco - Vernon Davis, TE
10. Arizona - Matt Leinart, QB

.....................

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 1:18 PM

None of these are busts. Bush hasn't lived up to the hype, but isn't a bust. VY was ROY so no way you can label him a bust. VDavis has been with a lost team, but now they're found. And Leinart is behind a SB caliber QB.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I thought that JZorn stated they had been at the park previous to this??

This is disappointing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I thought that JZorn stated they had been at the park previous to this??

This is disappointing...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:34 PM

Beany Boy,

I knew Jim Zorn was disappointed in Jason Campbell! Where did you read this?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

from the previous article:

FLOUNDER 21:

I'm not sure KENDELL, DANIELS or WASHINGTON come back. I figured the rookie deals will then fly. But if all three vets sign on-the-cheap, it might take the urgency out of the draft signings, and precipitate some downward trades.

Outside LB is a need even with a cheap MARCUS WASHINGTON, a double need without him.

The assumption is that CHAD RINEHART moves into the LG back-up and PETE KENDELL is not re-signed. The whispers I have heard leave that move in question.

PHILLIP DANIELS may be the answer to drafting a DE at #13 this year, but that move needs to be made, sooner rather than later in my estimation. And that leaves RENALDO WYNN(maybe), CHRIS WILSON, ALEX BUZBEE(off injury), and ROB JACKSON as ANDRE CARTER's back-up. Not good.

And it may be tight, but like you, I believe the lot gets signed UNDER the cap's present rules.

With the fuse-burning negotiations on the horizon between the NFL-ownership-union, who knows what the cap looks like after the blow-up and current contract ends however.

I'm sure SNYDER is anticipating a PLAN A there which works to his advantage. Lots of short-term vets at or near the league minimum then become a great release point in the eventuality of a needed PLAN B which might not be so advantageous to UNCLE DAN.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 17, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

You haved to wonder where the Post's "REDSKINS INSIDERS" get this story??

THis is a NON-story....the REDSKINS have ZERO interest in Matt Jones.

Or did JLC and JR forget that the Skins drafted TWO young WRs in the draft.

MOVE ON TO A REAL STORY YOU HACKS!

Posted by: goosedude | March 17, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Malcom Kelly is still recovering from his knee being scoped in January......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"Nobody, that is, except for the Colts, Pats and Steelers who draft well, don't overpay for outside FAs and get their own FAs to stay for less because they know they'll be in a position win annually."

I'm sure a winning team has some advantage in terms of attracting free agents. But as for drafting, it looks like the Colts, Steelers, and Pats have made plenty of bad guesses. On the surface at least, it looks like teams make up the most ground when they get a 'home run' draft, where most of the picks turn out (like the Giants before their Super Bowl win). Of course many of those 'home run' picks falter in their second or third year and have to be replaced.

A team like NE deals with that by signing free agents (including those with tarnished reps). An Indianapolis goes the other direction, building its offense around one extraordinarily talented player. A team like the Steelers is a lot more dependent on Ben Roethlisberger than most people think; he gets hurt, and it's bye-bye Super Bowl victories.

There are a number of doors to big-time success, but the sad reality is that most NFL clubs never find them in the first place.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Only" one Super Bowl win for the Colts in the Manning era counts as a ginormous disappointment, 4th? Good grief. Plenty of great QBs never won the Super Bowl. I would never consider a Super Bowl victory a "ginormous disappointment."

Any expectations -- and you can't have disappointment without expectations -- of multiple championships are absurd in this era. The Patriots' three titles are the exception, not the rule.

I'd be doggone happy with the Redskins' going to the playoffs for about five or six straight years and winning one title in that span. Yes, that would make me happy. Because, you know, my happiness matters.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Peyton Manning isn't the best QB of this era.

That distiction lies solely with Tom Brady.

I'm really confused why this is an argument, debate, or question.

Brady has done more than Manning with less, Brady has won more SBs than Manning - When Brady was given his equivalent to Marvin Harrison in Randy Moss he had the best season - ever, from a QB.

Agree that Manning should've won more SBs to date, but he couldn't becasue of Brady.

It was like:

Brady = Jordan

Manning = Barkley/Ewing/K. Malone

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Kelly definitely gave the impression he would be really committed to improving this offseason so I hope Jasno can get us some answers as to where 11/12 are!

Hahaha........

Posted by: will_ga | March 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 1:41 PM

Well Nate,

Until Jason Campbell is in street clothes, I hope you can find other avenues to your happiness!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"It was like:

Brady = Jordan

Manning = Barkley/Ewing/K. Malone"

Welker = John Paxson?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | March 17, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"When Brady was given his equivalent to Marvin Harrison in Randy Moss he had the best season - ever, from a QB."

mmmm...don't know about that Red.

Moss in his prime > Harrison in his prime.

Manning's 2004 season > Brady's 2007 season.

I mean really, Manning turned Brandon Stokely into a 1000-yard, 10 TD receiver -- as a 3rd wheel. Brandon Stokely...

You say Brady > Manning, I say Belicheck >> Dungy. And I like Dungy. But BB is a freaking mastermind.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

But BB is a freaking mastermind.

As long as Tom Brady is his qb.....agreed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:05 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 "

way to miss the point

point isn't that he gets great free agents or drafts well, it's that he finds way to work the salary cap.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | March 17, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru, that's my quarterback. (sniff)

No, seriously, I love Jason Campbell, I'm glad he's our quarterback, I steadfastly believe he'll lead this team to success, and I think you are wrong wrong wrong about him.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

As long as Tom Brady is his qb.....agreed.

Posted by: BeantownGreg

----

Sure, he doesn't win 3 SBs without Brady, but he did win 11 games with Matt Cassel. He is a pretty brilliant coach, dating back to his coordinating days behind Parcells.

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

psp, minus brady he's got an under .500 record, so while with brady he's brilliant, without him, he's an unmitigated disaster....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 1:33 PM

Indeed, 4th?

So Bush was a #2 overall selection, right? Now given the fact that he was thought to be better than (insert inflated number) of the players chosen before him, shouldn't he have produced better numbers? I don't think that he is a bust forever, but based on what he's done so far + draft selection = BUST

Vince Young was the benefactor of being an enigmatic player his rookie year. No tape + dumbcrazy athleticism = ROY. You can't tell me that every player that's won an award always deserved it. To me Vince Young getting ROY in '06 was basically given to him by default because they weren't any other rookies deserving - except Bush, but he didn't even run for 1K and he scored few TDs. I mean what are they going to do, not give it out? Somebody has to receive it.

Leinart? BIG BUST, mine as well just refer to him as "BUSTer Douglas". Leinart had the chance to be the guy - the Cardinals wanted him to start, they named him starter before he got "injured". Leinart is more worried about wanting to be Tom Brady off the field than Brady on the field. If he wasn't so worried about being Hollywood, maybe he could supplant ol' Rev. Lovejoy as starting QB.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 17, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | March 17, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru, that's my quarterback. (sniff)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 17, 2009 1:53 PM

LOL!

Are you being sarcastic?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | March 17, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | March 17, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't speak too soon. "They got it right"???

How is paying soooo much for Haynesworth getting it right. Sure the player is a very good one, but to me getting it right is getting him here on something other than money, something like structure, or coaching philosophy, or something but anyone could have done what Snyder did.

Also, Look at what the Giants did in free agency. They picked up a DT, LB, and DE. If we had made the same moves they had this offseason things would be a lot more clearer going into the draft at this point but since they signed Haynesworth they are having trouble filling other positions with quality people. For example why are we even talking about Matt Jones, seriously.

I would say they appear to be thinking more about what moves they make unlike before, but I honestly think they were being a little compulsive when they signed Haynesworth. I like him, but financially he wasn't a good fit. I didn't want Canty either I hate Dallas and everything about them.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

reddmv: "Peyton Manning isn't the best QB of this era. That distiction lies solely with Tom Brady.I'm really confused why this is an argument, debate, or question."

Mainly because there's an important difference between the two -- a difference that overrides others in terms of QB play.

And the difference is that Manning is calling his own plays.

Not that Brady doesn't, sometimes. But Manning does it virtually the whole game.

It wouldn't have been such a big deal back in Jurgenson's day, when offenses were a whole lot simpler and everybody called called their own plays, usually in the huddle.

But in the modern game, it's quite an achievement. Which is why hardly any coach lets his QB do it.

Put aside the team achievements for a moment-- the titles, the QB rankings, the yards, the receptions, the TD passes -- and take a look at what the QB has to do once he steps up behind the center.

That's where Manning is special.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Nate - You gotta admit that Manning should have won more SBs.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 17, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

15600skinfan: "For example why are we even talking about Matt Jones, seriously."

Because he's 6'6", runs fast, and has good hands. They'd consider Satan if he had those measurables and came cheap.

Plus you could stick him back behind the line in that Wildcat offense and scare the crap out of the defensive coordinator.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Then why don't Jacksonville Keep him?

I'll tell you why, because none of what you said is true.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

"Then why don't Jacksonville Keep him? I'll tell you why, because none of what you said is true. He is a 6"6' Drug Addict. Anyone who uses drugs cannot be a superior athlete. They can't even maximize there own talents, trust me I know first hand.Posted by: 15600_sknfan"

OK, this is really a two part question.

Why didn't Jacksonville keep him? Because he burnt that particular bridge but good. The coaches were tired of him, the fans were tired of him, the owner was tired of him... you can't wear out your welcome any more thoroughly than he did.

That's why he's on the market. Even Randy Moss or TO aren't as big a gamble.

Second: although drug use certainly detracts from performance, its effects are on athletic ability are often hard to detect. There are a zillion examples, from Hollywood Henderson to Cris Carter to Len Bias -- heck, all the way back to Babe Ruth if you include alcohol.

Anc cocaine isn't a drug known for lasting physical damage. Most of the medical effects are related to loss of appetite, poor sleep patterns, and cardiac stress. Those are the sort of things that turn up on a physical. It's entirely possible that a summer drug-free could restore Jones to something resembling peak condition.

So the big gamble is his drug use. Is he in recovery, or not?

That's what clauses in contracts are all about.

Should the Skins sign him? Not my call. But you can be they've considered it.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

OK, this is really a two part question.

That's why he's on the market. Even Randy Moss or TO aren't as big a gamble.

So the big gamble is his drug use. Is he in recovery, or not?

That's what clauses in contracts are all about.

Should the Skins sign him? Not my call. But you can be they've considered it.
Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

OK, this is really a two part question.

That's why he's on the market. Even Randy Moss or TO aren't as big a gamble.

So the big gamble is his drug use. Is he in recovery, or not?

That's what clauses in contracts are all about.

Should the Skins sign him? Not my call. But you can be they've considered it.
Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | March 17, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

15600: "As a Drug user, just using drugs distract you from everything and if he can't understand that there are people out here who would love to make even $6 bucks an hour and he on the other hand has the opportunity to make millions, he should just go get cracked out somewhere because if he cannot make good decisions he doesn't deserve to play for anyone. And trust me he is not what he could be which is why he is not playing. Drug use will destroy you, sure you can get buy but.... lets look at it like this, Carter wasn't good until he matured, Bias I allegedly only used drugs one (and Died), not sure who Holloywood is, and Ruth he was special but you can see how drugs ended his career. All I'm saying is if your using drugs go use drugs but as a fan paying to see professional athletes I want to see football players play not dug addicts. He can play a little bit but to be honest not good enough to go to any team at this point. Not even Jacksonville. Hes a drug addict."

Let's see if we can simplify this.

If he's in recovery, and passing drug tests, you think the Skins should take a chance on him?

That's the only question you or I have a right to ask. The rest is just a bundle of personal prejudices about drug abuse.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I think we have enough head cases or potential head cases and disruptive forces in C.Portis, the newly aquirred A.Haynesworth, and of course A.Hall has been known to go off a time or two. To samson151: The drugs themselves may not physically affect athletic performance but it's all the other stuff that comes with abusing drugs and alcohol. If your drugging and drinking your probably up when you should be sleeping so your not getting the proper rest, your also not eating right which is going to cause negative weight loss or gain,decreased energy, your not lifting and working out as much as you should, your mind is not clear so you don't retain info like you could, (i.e.,plays, snap counts etc.)
These are the types of things that wind up affecting the actual athletic performance. If your going to drink and drug wait until you retire because it will affect actual physical performance, better yet don't do it all if you can, especially if your suppose to be earning your living with your body.

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 17, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

To: REDneckSKINhead

Greetings from a Dallas fan from New York.

CRIMINALS on the Cowboys? Umm.... Gone bro.
I think its YOUR BOY Haynesworth who just got busted,;-)
6 months in jail perhaps?
How many Millions to sign this guy? Ouch.

C ya on the field '09-'10. Can't freakin' wait.

Posted by: RogwinMusic | March 17, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

He'd be a perfect fit in Dallas, along with the other criminals.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | March 17, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

RedneckSKINhead,

they are really tight and would be a excelelnt fit in DC too!

Posted by: rlomax67 | March 19, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

He'd be a perfect fit in Dallas, along with the other criminals.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | March 17, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

RedneckSKINhead,

they are really tight and would be a excelelnt fit in DC too!

RedneckSKINhead,

In case you cant figure out who i'm talking about
ANSWER: THEEZ NUTZ!