Yoder Returns for Lighter Practice

After a rugged morning session that featured plenty of trash-talking and some real contact, the Skins were in shorts and shells for the afternoon workout.

Todd Yoder, who'd been excused Monday and from the morning session because of the death of his grandmother, returned and was taking part. However, many of the veterans looked like they wouldn't be doing much. Guys like Shawn Springs, Anthony Mix and Malcolm Kelly were still not participating at all.

Antwaan Randle El and Jason Taylor were not in pads and were watching practice. Most likely, they're just getting some rest, but we'll make sure.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 12, 2008; 3:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time to ask "Who's on the Bubble?"
Next: Taylor Has Plantar Fasciitis, ARE a Sore Hamstring

Comments

1st

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Waited all preseason to do that. I am rounding into real season form!!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hey Cindy, so I see that Herm's Master Plan for the Cheeves is really beginning to take shape now.

What's next? Maybe trade Larry Johnson for a ham sandwich and a timeshare of Travis Henry?

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

from previous post

Any word on how Tryon looks in practice? He's been unimpressive in the games so far. Maybe he goes to the practice squad and they keep Horton and Moore - keep hearing good things about them at least. The LB Fincher? seemed to be around the ball alot during the Bills game as well.

Posted by: skinswest | August 12, 2008 3:34 PM

Posted by: skinswest | August 12, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

from previous post...

Here's my prediction from Sunday with two noticeable revisions...

think Mix's recent injury will have him on the outside looking in unless he blows Hixon & Zorn's socks off in the last two ps games... Sounds like Tryon continues to get burned, I would say he's a project...

Opening day roster prediction:

QB: Campbell, Collins, **Brennan**(3)
RB: Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason (4)
FB: Sellers (1)
TE: Cooley, Davis, Yoder (3)
WR: Moss, Randle-El, Thrash, Thomas, Kelly, McMullen (6)
OL: Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, Rinehart, Fabini, Heyer, **Geisinger**(9)
DL: Taylor, Griffin, Montgomery, Carter, Evans, Golston, Alexander, James, Wilson (9)
LB: Washington, Fletcher, McIntosh, Sinclair, Blades, Campbell (6)
DB: Springs, Landry, Doughty, Smoot, Rogers, Moore, Horton, Torrence, Richardson (9)
LS: Albright (1)
P: Brooks (1)
K: Suisham (1)

Practice Squad: Tryon, Devine, Westbrook, Jackson
Cuts: Mix, **Wade**

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

rc, I'm in the gulag with no contact to the outside world, whats going on with Herm Edwards??

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"returned and was takimg part."

Uh oh. Looks like Cyn is catching the dreaded Jasno Syndrome!

Posted by: charlie | August 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Nothing much Greg, it's just that the Cheeves picked up Adam Archuleta and are telling everyone how pleased they are about it! Ouch....

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Redcoat, for the perspective on Zach Thomas

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Jasno Syndrome?

Is that like Stockholm Syndrome but without the foreign travel?

Posted by: Plink | August 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

JinxMan7997. The 6 WR has to play special teams. I don't know if McMullen has done anything to justify a spot as a special teams player.

Posted by: MJ | August 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

RC, I thought AA signed with the raiders??

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I meant "the 6th WR"

Posted by: MJ | August 12, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

A pleasure AL Z....

I know that Zach's a bit of a sacred cow for many Fins fans, but IMHO (not that that carries any weight in NFL matters) I think he's a good - maybe even very good - MLB, but certainly not a great one. So I don;t think I'd put him in Canton.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Michael Wilbon: If you watch PTI regularly or read my column you'll know I've railed against preseason football obsession for nearly 18 years. It's lazy, it's agenda-driven, it's evidence of the NFL's ability to brain-wash most American viewers...Yet, the TV numbers say if you want to reach big audiance, put football on TV. The preseason football numbers dwarf baseball...it's not close. That doesn't mean I'll watch it. I get paid to watch if and I won't watch it. None of it. Zero. I've come to believe I'm performing a service by turning my back on preseason football. You should, too. I understand why the NFL pushes its productl; that's called good business and nobody is as good at that as the NFL. But for the mass media to lap it up like dogs is embarassing...to me anyway. I'll begin paying serious attention to pro football Sept. 1 and not a day before.

Posted by: Still a d.... | August 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

You're right curz.

"Is this an egg that I see before me? (on my face)"

As you were, and I'll stop trying to rile TheCindy. Herm can manage that all on his own anyway....

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Plumber?

Posted by: Land Shark | August 12, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

What's wrong with Springs? I'm too lazy to look back on the blog to find out.

Posted by: Riggo | August 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think what Redcoat meant to say was that the Raiders picked up Adam Archuleta, which is good news for the Chiefs ...

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

RC, really, no Canton for Zach? I'm surprised that you'd think that. How many 200 plus tackle seasons did he have? When he was of sound mind, and body, I'd say he had no rival.

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Riggo | August 12, 2008 3:55 PM

Calf strain.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn praised incumbent punter Derrick Frost yesterday, and said the team will continue alternating punters each game, with rookie Durant Brooks facing the Jets. . ." (From Redskins Notebook)

Is Frost going to eke out a roster spot again, only to become Sir Shank-alot after September?

Posted by: Alan | August 12, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The Raiders picked up Archuleta, but Herm is still killing me.

Posted by: cindy | August 12, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Insider Roster:

Team Owner: Cindy Boren

Head Coach: Jason LaCanfora

Assistant Head Coach: Jason Reid

Regs: Nate in the PDX (team captain and perennial pro-bowler,) 4th, cL, Alex35332, Redcoat, Redskirt, Talent Evaluator, Corkczar, Curzon417, SMACK, sicwidit, cload and dagger, greg, jm220, bang, red of the dmv, scampbell, brownwood, lisa, pdiddy, redskinwillie, skinz, skippy, dlhaze, dorf, farstriker, scskins, Al Zeke.

On the bubble: stumped, CBT, Chia Pet, Earl Sugarloaf III, The Truth.

Practice squad: RedskinRay, p1funk, Great One, JinxMan

Bagging groceries at Giant Foods: sfskin, nads guy, prison balls, d bag.

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, you a closet Chiefs fan?

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | August 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Archuleta will play well and lead the Raiders to two wins over the Cheeves. Mark it.

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Who is this new guy Mull It?

Dude just runs on the field and starts making plays.

Where did he come from?

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I grew up a Cheeves fan. It occasionally flares up, never in a good way.

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

RedCoat,

If Zach wins the Big Dance with the CowPatties (shudder) I think he'll make Canton.

Short of that, you may be right. But I sure wouldn't mind him on our squad and I don't look forward to facing him in Big D.

Posted by: Dik | August 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I see myself more as a commissioner than team owner, but I'll take it. Park the jet at National, tho, will ya?

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

dik, back in 2000 I'd have taken Zach in a second, but now, he's that guy who can't retire, and is a concussion away from not knowing his own name...

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

RedCoat,

If Zach wins the Big Dance with the CowPatties (shudder)

Shouldn't they start with "winning a playoff game"?

Posted by: cload & daggar | August 12, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Zach will perform the vital function this season of keeping Bobby Carpenter's sorry azz off the field, and if only for that, he's in my Hall of Fame.

Posted by: SMACK | August 12, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I grew up a Cheeves fan. It occasionally flares up, never in a good way.

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 4:08 PM

First time I ever heard being a KC fan compared to shingles....

I hear you Greg. Though he never had a 200 tackle season, he was only twice under 100 tackles; last year when he was banged-up and 2000 when he had 99.

I think you're right Dik. If they win, he's in. If they don't, well I just don't know what people will make of his career in a few years time. A man who played well all those years but never even got close to winning it all.

To me, MLB is such a specialized position, that unless a guy is exceptional (or Antonio Pierce, i.e. a loudmouth) they are often invisible.

Posted by: Redcoat | August 12, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Mull It is the artist formerly known as Talent Evaluator

Posted by: Prince | August 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Smack, speaking of, what is the status of Bobby Carpenter? Was he a first round pick for you guys? Ohio State, if I'm not mistaken, right?

Posted by: Greg | August 12, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMACK | August 12, 2008 4:17 PM

I'll plead ignorant. What's wrong with Carpenter?

Posted by: skinswest | August 12, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I thought the girls were high on carpenter this year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

This presents a problem.

Well, TE will simply have to resubmit his paperwork to the commish.

Not sure if his stats will be carry over to his new moniker, however.

Any precedent for such a name change?

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

This presents a problem.

Well, TE will simply have to resubmit his paperwork to the commish.

Not sure if his stats will be carry over to his new moniker, however.

Any precedent for such a name change?

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 4:25 PM

d-bag can't be bagging groceries if he is also know as an evaluator of talent.

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 12, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

LOL @ practice squad. RI you didn't complete the 53 man roster first.

Posted by: JinxMan7997 | August 12, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

An amusing sidenote out here in Broncoland. The radio geeks are always talking it up how the AFC is so superior to the NFC yet they’re hoping the Broncos don’t get slapped around again by the Cowboys. Evidently the Cowboys worked them over last year in the preseason, to the point that several Bronco players were complaining about it. Of course this is the almighty Broncos who also got worked over for 40+ points by the powerhouse Lions in the regular season.

Posted by: skinswest | August 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Now we are truly confused.

Every man or woman for himself, then. Start from scratch.

Nate is still the captain, JLa is the coach, JReid is still the assistant, and now Cindy gets to be the commish.

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy | August 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RI Roster | August 12, 2008 4:02 PM

I didn't even get invited to camp???

Posted by: etrod | August 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Mr. Crapenter was a first rounder. I think Parcells thought he was drafting AJ Hawk. The guy is always trailing the play by at least three yards. It's possible he's unable to think while his hair is growing.

Posted by: SMACK | August 12, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse