Young CBs Looking at New Deals

New cornerback DeAngelo Hall began his Redskins career with a nice interception of a Tony Romo pass early in his first game with the team. Romo delivered perhaps his worst pass of the game - Terrell Owens had Hall beaten to the inside, but Romo threw the ball well behind the cutting receiver - and Hall, who is known around the league for feasting on those kinds of miscues, made the grab.

Between the Raiders and Redskins, Hall has four interceptions this season; the Skins' top corner, Carlos Rogers, has five in his entire career. There is no denying that Rogers has been one of the best cover corners in the NFL this season, and Hall was on the field only in nickel situations against Dallas, but the dynamic between these two will be interesting.

Rogers, according to his teammates, is hoping the Redskins will approach him about a contract extension this offseason. (QB Jason Campbell is in the same spot. Both Campbell and Rogers were first-round picks in 2005, and their contracts expire after the 2009 season.)

Hall has been very vocal about his desire to sign a long-term extension with the Redskins this offseason and Coach Jim Zorn said last week that the Redskins are hoping that Hall is a part of the organization beyond the end of this season, when his contract expires.

It's become pretty clear that Shawn Springs's tenure here is coming to a close - perhaps if he shines as a safety down the stretch the Redskins would re-evaluate his contract, but I'd be shocked if he restructured his deal unless he got more years added on, and I don't see the Skins doing that

Fred Smoot remains under contract. The Redskins have wanted another young corner to pair with Rogers, but having to get them both signed at the same time could be tricky; and giving one the money before the other - particularly if they went to Hall first - could create some waves, for sure.

Rogers said he would love to remain a Redskin deep into the future. He, too, has wondered a bit about how the whole thing might shake out and whether Hall's arrival might have some ramifications for him.. But he's made a point not to dwell on it.

"You do think about it, and you're wondering like, 'What's [Hall's] goal?' Rogers said. "Both of us are younger guys in the secondary, and I'm hoping, I'm hoping they would want to keep me around and we can get something done.

"I try not to think about that, and you try to concentrate only on football. That's the main thing. A lot of guys ask me, 'Are the Redskins coming to you? Do they want to lock you up?' And I say, 'I hope so.' I don't want to go nowhere and I like the organization, and with a young guy like [Hall] here now, I don't know what the plan is. We've got some older guys like Springs and Smoot, so I don't know. But if he's around and I'm around with him, we'll definitely make it work. There's no doubt about it."

By Jason La Canfora  |  November 19, 2008; 8:12 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sports Waves: Reviewing Sunday Night Football
Next: A Campbell-Hasselbeck Preview

Comments

First, what does the 'Skins cap situation look like for next year? Dropping Springs frees up a lot of money to sign Rogers and Hall, doesn't it?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Hope we lock both of them up for the next 5 years, What do people think 5 year's 35 mill each?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 19, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

TE, that was a very clever way to slip in a 'First' post without looking like a troll. Hats off to you , my friend.

I Have to think that Springs' bonus money is paid just about off by now, this is his 5th year with the team so the cap hit can't be that much. You also look at guys like Marcus Washington and Griffin who have been here this whole time and I don't know if you keep them either.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

TE,

If they let Springs go it would clear up 8.5 Mil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 8:41 AM | Report abuse

This morning's article on the defensive line was timely and ominous.

Posted by: driley | November 19, 2008 7:25 AM |

Everything the Post publishes about the Redskins is ominous, but not always timely. On Sunday, Dallas day, their lead article was a feature about radio broadcasters, Doc Walker, Brian Mitchell.

Defense is number four in the league, even after we cut Torrence. Aren't there more timely issues on offense?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Thats 8.5 mil we dont have to pay Springs?

He is gone; Hall was brought in to replace him.

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 19, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Here is the best place for cap data guys.

Dropping Springs and Washington open up almost $15M for next year

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | November 19, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

te, great question, lets say that both Springs and Jansen get, how do you say, "unceremoniously released", what does that free up in cap space??

Busy off-season for the team, Campbell, Rogers and Hall. Getting Hall could turn out to be quite the coup for the team. Young, talented cb entering the prime of his career, that cost the team nothing in terms of draft picks...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

TE,

If they let Springs go it would clear up 8.5 Mil.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 8:41 AM

Man, that's quite a stimulus package! We could bail out a few banks for that money, and still have enough to pay off my mortgage.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Springs' cap number is $8.5 mil next year. MW's is $6.5 mil and Griff's is $6.1 Mil. I'm not entirely sure about how the salary cap works but since almost all of it for each of them is base salary I'm thinking they could potentially clear $19 mil but cutting each of them.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

te, jm, agreed. The D held the boys to 14 points. It was the offense that let the team down, not the D. Despite not using a high draft pick on a defensive linemen, hasn't the team had a top 10 defense 3 of the last 4 years??

Posted by: BeantownGreg

That can't be true Bean. I mean all we hear about is no pass rush. No sacks. How can the D be in the top 10. Other than the Pats game I really can't think of any team that scored a lot of points on this D.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 8:45 AM

Greg, The way I think about it is that getting Hall like that pretty much recovers the the picks that we gave up for Jason Taylor. And, by the way, releasing him would free up a lot of cap space next year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Is that true?? That if springs, and MW are let go, it clears up 15 Mill? Are you kidding me!!

Thanks for your time, don't let the door hit you.

What about Jansen, what would he clear up in cap space if he was let go?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | November 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Here is the best place for cap data guys.

Dropping Springs and Washington open up almost $15M for next year

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | November 19, 2008 8:45 AM

hustler,

You did not give the site.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Jansen wouldn't clear much because most of his $3mil is bonus money that would have to be paid in full.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

All of your questions would involve reporters actually talking to members of the orgnization and writing a story that involves ACTUAL news! Not the same 5 stories that re-hash the same tired argument about front office moves.

Posted by: Lacantwrite | November 19, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Jansen would clear up 3.5Mil, but I'm not sure if we would have to take a penalty on him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

RE: The Giants

It seems like no one expects us to beat the Giants, but I have to say I do. Since the retirement of Tiki Barber, we have had the Giants' number. I keep remembering an interview Chris Cooley did last year after we were eliminated from the playoffs, where he was asked who he was rooting for to win in the NFC. He said not Dallas (obviously), and then he also said not New York. His reasoning was that we beat New York at the end of the season, and he felt like we always play well against them, and we could beat them in the playoffs, given the chance. I don't think that has really changed. Yeah, we lost to the Giants in the opener, but we had been playing awful (like, not at a professional level) in the final few preseason games, and that game served as a wake-up call. Since then we've done reasonably well (6-3 ain't bad), and the Giants have put the wallop on a lot of people. But the Giants aren't a different team than they were at the beginning of the year, and they're not a different team than they were when we beat them last season. I look to this as a big upset. Starting this week, if the Skins can build any kind of momentum (a la 05 or 07), then I think we shock the world and tear up the Giants.

Still got hope...

Posted by: crashinghero | November 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I think you have to cut Springs, and MW, they've been good players, but they're just too injury prone, they miss too much time. I think you can justify keeping Griffin, because he's still a viable player on the line, while not dominant, he's still getting it done for the most part.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I guess we have to find out if Hall can actually cover as well as Rogers. I would definitely give Rogers the money first, unless the plan is to keep both of them. I would love to keep Springs around as well. When healthy, he is the best cover corner on the team. Unfortunately, "when healthy" has been the main negative in what Springs adds to this team. Smoot should be here next year as well. That leave Tryon way, way down in depth charts.

Posted by: driley | November 19, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Just a hunch springs signs with the girls next year.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 19, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I believe Springs with be gone next year. I like the Hall, Rogers, and Smoot connection.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Carlos sounding like a jeallous middle child...marsha marsha marsha!

Posted by: dealer1 | November 19, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I think some of you are reading those cap figures wrong. If we release Springs we don't pay his salary, but we still count the pro-rated signing bonus against the cap. His salary is $5 million and his pro-rated bonus is $2.5 million. Jansen's cap hit is almost all pro-rated bonus.

Also, release any of these guys and you have to take the cap hit for all additional years for which their bonus is pro-rated. In Jansen's case I think that would be a pretty big hit, but isn't Springs in the last year of his contract next year?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I think we should add a clause in double move's contract to pay him additional for each interception. It would be a great way for the FO to save some money.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 19, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

crashinghero,

I respectfully disagree with you regarding the Giants. When we beat them last year they were still formulating their identity as a team. Obviously they found themselves in time. This year they are younger and stronger in the defensive line plus Jacobs is the kind of back that just kills the Skins. I don't see Eli Manning as a positive for them, he has good days and bad days, much like last year. The Giants are looking like a real powerhouse team now, the kind that the NFC East is famous for producing. I think our chances are only one in five of beating the Giants, and that one chance is catching Manning on his bad day.

Posted by: driley | November 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Let M. Washington & Griff go, draft a Defensive Lineman in the 1st round coming up to replace Griff & draft a LB in the 3rd round to replace M.Washington. We don't have a 2nd rounder coming up because of the J-Boogie pick up this offseason.

Posted by: dspinx | November 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

According to the site Hustler gave us.

Jansen would cost us 10Mil against the cap if released next year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Don't think we can take that Jansen hit but no question his ass is a back up. JC, Rogers, and Hall (if he keeps himself out of trouble) will all be sign.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Can someone let us know how Kelly knee held up?

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Just a hunch springs signs with the girls next year.

Posted by: dealer1 | November 19, 2008 8:55 AM

I'm with you Dealer. If I'm playing Oddsmakers like on PTI, I give it a 100% chance he goes to Dallas. He'd be pissed we cut him and he'd be close to his dad in the hospital (who played for Dallas). It's a mortal lock.

I think we can get both Rogers and Hall locked up for a hometeam discount. Should be done this offseason. Cut Washington, Springs, and Griffin (maybe Jansen too) and you've got more than enough space to make things happen.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 19, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Here is what it looks like for the guys we are discussing:

If you realease the player:

Jason Taylor 8.5Mil no cap hit
Shawn Springs 8.5 cap hit 2.5
Marcus Washington 6.5 cap hit 2
C Griff 6 cap hit 2.5

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

I would love to cut Jansen but 10mil cap hit would hurt.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Yeah you can't release Jansen because of his hit. But Springs and Washington have to go. Way too injury prone which is really too bad considering their skill when healthy

Posted by: HustlerofCulture | November 19, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Also, I don't believe the Ravens have beaten a winning team this season.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I couldn't let this go when I saw it just now.

The Ravens beat the 6-4 Dolphins a few weeks back. :)

(Actually I just like saying "6-4 Dolphins")

Posted by: Redcoat | November 19, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm still hungover from Sunday night. Have'nt read but the last few posts.....did anyone else notice Sellars getting held at the line on his touchdown? Didn't matter in the end, but there was a linebacker who tried to tackle him whe he saw that he was going out in the pattern....

Rock should have left the ball alone; it looked to me like it was gonna stop dead if nobody even touched it.

I don't think they challenged the Barber TD cuz they needed time on the clock....

I'm with you guys....Springs goes to Dallas next year if he plays at all. My hunch, as I've stated many times up here is that except for the fat paycheck he's getting, he is wishing he had actually retired in the offseason instaed of "seriously thinking about it".....play some ball already.

And, yes the media around the cowboys is a friggin joke. They barely beat us, but I almost threw up watching sportscenter Monday morning.....you would think Romo threw for 900 yards and 8 TDs against us, and that Barber ran for 280 and 3 td's......they showed the clip of Romo doing that little underhand Brett Favre-type throw that got them a first down, and the sportscenter guy made a sound like he was gonna have a big-O......
His touchdown pass was a lucky adjustment in good coverage....it was a bad decision and a bad throw, but the receiver bailed him out....

I think/hope we can finish strong and make the playoffs, but we'll proabaly need some help along the way. I agree with most predeictions up here, but I say we can take Baltimore, and probably Philly as well (especially if Westbrook is still hurting). Giants are going to pound them into the turf and then spit on them.

I think that catches me up on everything.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | November 19, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Remember B-Lloyd is costing 5Mil against are cap next year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"Like, why doesn't Jim Zorn trust the rookie receivers? Are they incompetent or does Jim Zorn have unreasonable expecations? And why does Jim Zorn trust the offensive line? Are they actually competent or does Jim Zorn have different standards for over-the-hill veterans than under-the-hill rookies?"
Lacantwrite

Well, if you actually have read this week's RI posts you would have answered your question and some of your big mysteries regarding the receivers would have been unraveled. In regards to the offensive line, we have really only one possible sub, Heyer, and I am sure that Joe Bugel is not trying to bring out negative issues in public. If Jansen starts over Heyer I would bet that it is Bugel's call, based on what the kid can do.

Posted by: driley | November 19, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Good to more young black men getting paid, after 430 years of slavery.

Posted by: poolman1200000 | November 19, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Please get rid of this moron. He contributes nothing but negativity to this forum.

Posted by: Devo2 | November 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Flound, thanks for the Lloyd update.

I'm now going to stick pencils in my eye's.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Can someone let us know if the pain in Samuels knee has subsided or is it worse ?
How is Moss is hamstring ? Any improvements ? What about A.R.E. ? I saw him on the sideline Sunday grimacing over an ankle or something. What happened with that ?
I'm still most concerned with Samuels and Moss. Should they rest Samuels for an inferior opponent like Seattle and get him ready for the nasty D-Line of the Giants the week after ? You could stick Heyer in at his spot as a warm up game to replace Jansen the week after. So when the Giants come in to town. You would have a rested Samuels and Heyer coming in at the RT replacing Jansen and not being completely cold. Either way we are going to need Heyer in there (the superior pass blocker) against the Giants pash rush. Why not let him play against Seattle to get his reps in. It can be to replace Jansen at the RT or to give Samuels knee some time off. From what I hear Patrick Kerney probably will not be playing for the Seahawks any way.

Posted by: dspinx | November 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

(Actually I just like saying "6-4 Dolphins")

Posted by: Redcoat

I am sure you do. lol My manager who is a big Dolphin fan is even wearing a Dolphin jacket to work. lmao!

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Very slick move, indeed, by TE at the top...
There's a new documentary opening in NYC that has me more than geeked: "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29." Tommy Lee Jones was an offensive lineman on that team and it spawned one of the all-time great headlines, "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29."
(This is your cue to tell me Tommy Lee Jones has tiny teeth....)

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Can't you actually designate one of your cuts as 'post June' even if you do it before?

If yes, then they could cut Jansen that way. You guys do need to clean house a little and that would help spread the impact.

I'd be interested to see who would take Jason Taylor if he got cut after this year. I think he just signs back on with Miami for a week then hangs 'em up. Although maybe he finds some form if you do try him on the right.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 19, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

it's been so long since he played- what's the injury with Springs anyway? I get the impression the dude is milking it...

Posted by: yellow_jacket98 | November 19, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

As I was looking up the cap stuff that thing about Lloyd came up makes me sick that he is costing us 5mil. That is 2.5mil per catch.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 19, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Redcoat, but I don't believe the Dolphins were on the winning side of the equation WHEN the Ravens beat them. Now they are - so congrats to you! The Dolphins are fun to watch this season and I really wish Zorn would try some of that wildcat stuff.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

It's unbelievable. If we'd stopped Schaub waltzing into the end zone for Houston and Dockery hadn't caught Chad's end zone pass on the last play of the Jests game we'd be 8-2!!

There's a good chance we have a 9-7 season this year and that feels like a Super Bowl win compared to last year. :)

Posted by: Redcoat | November 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Given his history as a trouble-maker, I'm a little concerned about signing Hall to long contract. It would need to be heavy on incentives to sit well with me.

Posted by: TBDog | November 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Re: Springs & Dallas. He may (or may not) sign with Dallas but I don't think he would do so to be close to his father. Springs did an interview with Comcast recently and stated that he rarely visits his father anymore - that is how he copes with the situation. Said he never expects to speak to him again in this lifetime. I could tell by his remarks that he believes Ron should be taken off life support but he is not the decision maker.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 19, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

(This is your cue to tell me Tommy Lee Jones has tiny teeth....)

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, Tommy Lee Jones has tiny teeth.

Posted by: Redcoat | November 19, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

"Harvard Beats Yale 29-29." Calvin Hill also played on that Yale team.

Posted by: Markin21132 | November 19, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

While Springs to Dallas makes sense on the emotional level to be near his father, they have Newman, Pacman, and rookie Mike Jenkins at CB, as well as Roy Williams, and Pat Watkins at S. Now please don't read this as me saying that either Newman, or Williams plays the position well. They did just sign Newman recently to a deal as well.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I think they hold onto Springs at least through training camp next year, wait for the inevitable injury, and then let him go.

Posted by: daggar | November 19, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

In fact, they might want someone to kick him in the calf -- that might force retirement.

Posted by: daggar | November 19, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Let's not jump the gun on re-signing Hall for a multi-million dollar contract. The guy was a great pickup for basically the vet minimum. As an every-down starting corner, I'm nowhere near sold yet. He WAS beat on that interception, and beat badly, it just so happened that the pass Romo threw was just as bad as Hall's coverage.

Rogers is by far priority #1. It shouldn't even be a question for Vinny. After that, Vinny needs to determine whether Hall is worth it. If he is, then Springs goes. If he isn't, then Springs stays.

Either way, and this is just a hunch, one of them is gone, and back into the picture comes....Leigh Torrence. I'm dead serious. Unless someone decides he's worth more money on the open market.

Posted by: psps23 | November 19, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"Either way, and this is just a hunch, one of them is gone, and back into the picture comes....Leigh Torrence. I'm dead serious"

wait for it...........wait for it.......

WHY DID WE EVER LET ANTONIO PIERCE GO!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg | November 19, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

LMAO! If they thought Torrence was that good Hall wouldn't have been brought in.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | November 19, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 19, 2008 9:39 AM

You can't cut him when he's injured. You have to reach an "injury settlement" and the 'Skins have had no luck in reaching a settlement with Springs on anything.

And, with Springs injuries aren't "inevitable." He's had three years with the 'Skins when he played in 15 games. The problem with his injuries are that they're protracted.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | November 19, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Very funny, Redcoaut. Very funny.
And thank you, Markin....Calvin Hill did play in that game.

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Lock up both of them and play nickel all the time. Our corners are the only guys on defense that make plays. They should be on the field.

Posted by: Joe_in_Raleigh | November 19, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 19, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

TE -- yes, I keed. When you see me advocating deliberate harm on someone, I'm going for the crazed RI laugh.

Much like the Raven's #2 defense.

Posted by: daggar | November 19, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

when she says "beep beep", our Dauphine actually means "there's a commercial I want you to watch."

harrumph!

Posted by: daggar | November 19, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

springs will most likely not get a great offer from anyone so he will probably be back. all the torrence fans should just go marry the guy and move on.

Posted by: rls1041 | November 19, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Agreed that Rogers should be the #1 D-back signing priority. And he should definitely be sent to some sort of hands camp in the off-season. True, Hall's int was thrown right to him, but the fact remains that he does have the talent - it's his attitude remains a question mark. No doubt he will step in line during the remainder of his contract year. After that... who knows? Maybe there can be a "no stupid penalty or gum-flapping clause" in his new contract.

Posted by: TBDog | November 19, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dspinx | November 19, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It would be great if they could do this, but nothing about this team's performance the last few games leads me to believe that they can afford to rest anyone who can play against ANY other NFL team. I mean, if they're life-and-death with the sorry-a$$ Lions and Browns, they can't take anything for granted.

Posted by: rbpalmer | November 19, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

They have to keep Griffin. I had a dream last night that he returned a batted ball for a TD for us to win super bowl 45.

Posted by: MonkMossMann | November 19, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse