Your Daily Sabol

Our buddy Steve is just about the embark on his longest week of the year. Once the game ends Sunday night, his workload kicks in.

By Thursday night he and his pees at NFL Films must have a pristine finished product for the folks at the NFL Network - the Super Bowl highlight film that will stand as the quintessential reminder of this game. These movies have become synonymous with Sabol's company, and they must deliver quality under a tight deadline (something I can relate to; well, maybe not the quality part but you catch my drift.

Sabol says he is a hands-off director, setting 15 camera people free to shoot the game as they see it. He wants their interpretation of the day. Sure, they have assignments based on the necessary footage, but there is a long leash. By 2-3 am Monday, Sabol and his crew will be sitting on a tarmac in South Florida, waiting for their private jet to take off and head directly to the NFL headquarters in New Jersey.

There, he and others will begin sorting through 27 miles of film. That's right. 27 miles.

"We'll get all the film processed at the lab that night and by 6 Monday morning we have 10 producers start going through all the film. I usually walk around and talk to all of them and by Tuesday afternoon we generally realize what the theme of this Super Bowl was, and then we put the story together."

Sabol talks like the process is old hat - and given he has shot, produced or directed at every Super Bowl, for him it is - but as someone who often must weed through an overabundance of material and self-edit it into a manageable forum, I know this is no easy chore.

There are writers and musicians involved in this process as well, constructing a score to fit the game, and no one really sleeps for a few days. "We kind of have a formula now," Sabol said. "We're used to it."

Last year in Detroit there were 78 private planes ahead of the NFL Films jet waiting to get out of Detroit, which caused a 90 minute delay. During the week after the Super Bowl, that's a significant delay for these guys. Time is money, after all.

By Jason La Canfora  |  February 2, 2007; 4:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Richie Likes The Colts
Next: Partying With Carmen Electra

Comments

"He and his pees?"

You're killing me, bro. Love it. Great stuff.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

he's still drunk notice the last postings

Posted by: BIG J | February 2, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

What does "Sabol talks like the process is old hat" mean? I wouldn't have said anything, but it dosen't make sense to me.....

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

B/c he's done it for 40 years

Posted by: Anonymous | February 2, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Steve Sabol: 'So what are you telling me Bill?...You're saying football?...OK, that'll be our theme this year. Football...Well Bill, you're like the 5th producer to say it so I'm just going to pony up and go with it...'

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | February 2, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

AMTTS -we'll know tomorrow!

Posted by: Art81 | February 2, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

MONK!

MONK!

MONK!

MONK!

MONK!

MONK!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, Cyn City, hi there, question for ya.

What can we expect this weekend? Could you give us an idea how it's going to work on Sunday?

I guess you'll be running TK and Wilbon's blog appearance during the game itself? I'm hoping we can also get a clean slate new post on RI maybe Sunday morning so we can blather on up here.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

One night in college when I crashed at a friends house, 'me and my pees' got me into alot of trouble... long story short, I spent the next afternoon I had to use the entire bottle of Resolve carpet cleaner

Posted by: Diesel | February 2, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Predictions, just for kicks:

Colts 34
Bears 31

One return TD for Devin Hester. One defensive TD for the Bears. Manning to Harrison for the go-ahead TD with less than 5 minutes to play. Manning is MVP.

J-La wakes up just after kickoff, still drunk from his Saturday night-Sunday morning revelry, to the shrill cawing of the toucan which for some reason is in his hotel room.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

These posts have had me chuckling all day. I love Jason's typos.

Posted by: Mark | February 2, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Yesterday some guy called 980 and asked Steve Czaban if he was Steve Sabol from NFL Films - guess he thought Czaban and Sabol sounded alike. Well, Czaban said "yes" and totally let the guy ramble on about how great he was - he never told the guy the truth.

My pick: Bears over Colts - could be a blow out.

Posted by: Lisa | February 2, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Guys jm214 is not me.

Lisa, I hope you are not upset with us joking around. (you know boys will be boys)

JLC just watch out for that bird brother. lol

I going with the Bears this weekend.

Posted by: jm220 | February 2, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

More than anything I'm hoping for a great game, exciting to the finish. And lots of great, funny ads.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

And panties.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

He might be known as Jason La Toucanfora after this weekend.

I got the Colts.

jm220, I'm glad that wasn't you on the crash diet.

Posted by: 4-12 | February 2, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

word is around the shop that the ads are sort of dissapointing this year...so set your standards low folks.

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Look out Nate is back on his panties hunt. lmao

Posted by: jm220 | February 2, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

whoa...10 DSJS (Dan Snyder jock sniffs) go out to Nate for bringing back the panties!

the unmentionables have most certainly been mentioned.

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget your ladies on Valentines Day, boys.

Posted by: Heidi Klum | February 2, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

From previous thread.

Coming back to reality here folks.

Did you see the Usatoday article on Wilbur Marshall? Bummer.

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 04:30 PM

That's awful. Marshall was one of my favorite players back then. He was just like the article said - nasty. He is definetly deserving of HOF recognition. The skins haven't had a LB since that comes close to him (Ken Harvey maybe, LaVar - no way)

Posted by: skinswest | February 2, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

You know the Redskin Insider is having too much fun when.....

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I know I know.....

He dosen't post his Friday TCCCLs for the week. They prob don't keep track of days in MIA.

Posted by: 4th Floor | February 2, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Most of the Good people don't get put in the HOF. That's why it took so long to Get Fritz Pollard in and Art Monk waiting.

All the while they proclaim Tiki 'Fumbulitous (save for his last 3 of 10 years)' Barber a 1st Ballot HOF. WHY!?!?!? WTF is going on in this world of Peter Kings And Len Ps !?!?!?!

Posted by: 4th Floor | February 2, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse

charlie, skinswest, the Andre Waters tragedy seems to have spurred a flurry of interest in the awful health situations a lot of ex-NFLers endure. Not just head/brain injuries but debilitating injuries.

Bet the league hates these stories because it's in their interest for us to focus on the thrill of the games in the moment -- and then in Sportscenter clips of great hits -- and they don't want people to think about negative long-term repercussions among the gladiators.

I hope this leads to something substantive on the part of the NFL and the players' union, something that addresses post-career care as well as examination of preventative safety measures while people are playing, and doesn't just fade away.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Toucanfora! 4-12 that was great. A feather in your cap for that one.

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Amen, Nate.

Now there's a story about Ted Johnson, former LB with the Pats, whose experiencing problems with depression brought on by multiple concussions.

If you haven't heard him you should listen to Merrill Hoge speak about his post-concussion problems - #$@#ing scary.

Posted by: skinswest | February 2, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and Andre Waters. It's sad. But the game just wouldn't be the same without the hittin'.

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Woops, I guess the order is read, think, then post!

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Post, read, regret is my usual order, SMACK.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I have this mental picture of Jason on the beach surrounded by models and press buddies, well into his cups, regaling them with stories of his blog, and then trying to demonstrate a real-live Tom Cruise Couch Leap, with disastrous yet hilarious results.

And there is a toucan.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

...and flashing his "credentials" left and right

Posted by: skinswest | February 2, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

20 hours!

Posted by: Art81Monk | February 2, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

JLaC needs to post a picture gallery of his trip on Flickr.

Posted by: P Diddy | February 2, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

If you haven't read it, there is a nice article by Len Shapiro on Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Posted by: Mark | February 2, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

So, Lets fast forward to 21 hours from now. We are jumping for joy that Monk finally got in.

But.....

What if Irvin does as well?!?!? That means we need to out rank the girls' fans in Canton. Whose coming with me??????

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

What if the unthinkable happens and Irvin makes it to the Hall and not Monk? Personally I'll give up on the HOF for the political BS that it is and pay it no further attention.

Posted by: skinswest | February 2, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

My predic-

Colts 31
Bears 16

Outside of this I'm not sure I'll read anything more about the SB. Burning out fast here. What can one say when everything has been beaten to death?

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Too bad they didn't put the NFL Hall of Fame somewhere fun. Anyone know offhand why it's in Canton? Historians?

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Location:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton, Ohio, in the northwest corner of the city, just off Interstate Highway 77. Highway exits for both northbound and southbound traffic are clearly marked on the freeway. Literally hundreds of other signs on lesser roads in the Canton and Stark County area guide the visitor directly to the Hall of Fame site. Canton is located approximately 40 minutes south of the Ohio Turnpike (I-80) and about one hour north of Interstate 70, another major east-west artery. I-77 connects directly to both of these major routes. Canton is also located on U.S. Highways 30 and 62.

Canton lies approximately 50 miles south of Cleveland, 100 miles west of Pittsburgh, 120 miles northeast of Columbus and around 225 miles from such centers as Detroit, Cincinnati, and Buffalo.

Why Canton for the Hall of Fame Site?

The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton, Ohio, for three primary reasons; (1) the American Professional Football Association, later renamed the National Football League, was founded in Canton on September 17, 1920. (2) the Canton bulldogs were an early-day pro football power, even before the days of the NFL. They were also the first two-time champion of the NFL in 1922 and 1923. The great Jim Thorpe, the first big-name athlete to play pro football, played his first pro football with the Bulldogs, starting in 1915. (3) Canton citizens early in the 1960's launched a determined and well-organized campaign to earn the site designation for their city.

Posted by: 4th via HOF website | February 2, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Remember - All the Pro teams were in the Midwest????

The Akron Pros. Thats the team Fritz Pollard Played for .........

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Pertinent Hall of Fame Historical Background:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame concept, as far as Canton was concerned, first was placed before the public by the Canton Repository on December 6, 1959. That newspaper challenged its readers with the headline: "PRO FOOTBALL NEEDS A HALL OF FAME AND LOGICAL SITE IS HERE."

Canton civic groups quickly took up the challenge and, by January 25, 1961, William E. Umstattd of the Timken Company was in a position, as the selected representative of his city, to make a formal bid to the National Football League for acceptance of Canton as the site for a pro football hall of fame. Three months later, Canton was granted this official site approval.

Wooded parkland was donated from the city and a civic fund-raising campaign had, by February 8, 1962, acquired pledges totaling $378,026. Ground-breaking for the original construction was held on August 11, 1962, and on September 7, 1963, the building was first opened to the public.

The original two-building complex, containing 19,000 square feet of interior space, was almost doubled in size when a $620,000 expansion project was completed in May, 1971. The expanded three-building complex contained 34,000 square feet of interior space. A second expansion costing $1.2 million and adding a fourth building was complete in November, 1978, and increased the Hall's size to 51,000 square feet. A third expansion project, a $9.2 million program that increased the Hall's size to approximately 83,000 square feet, was completed in October, 1995.

Dick McCann, long-time general manager of the Washington Redskins, was named the Hall's first director on April 4, 1962. Mr. McCann died in November, 1967, and in April 1968, Dick Gallagher, a long-time pro football coach, scout, and general manager, was named the new director. He served until his retirement on December 31, 1975. In February, 1979, Pete Elliott, an assistant coach of the St. Louis Cardinals who had had an extensive college playing and coaching career, was named the Hall's third director. Elliott retired on October 31, 1996. John Bankert, a long-time vice-president of the Hall of Fame, became the museum's fourth director on November 1, 1996 and was named President in 2003. He served in that role through his retirement on December 31, 2005.

On April 24, 2006, Steve Perry became the Pro Football Hall of Fame's fifth President/Executive Director. He has had an extensive career in management of large private sector and public sector organizations. Most recently, he served in the Federal government as the Administrator of the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) in Washington, D.C. Perry was a former member of the Hall of Fame's Board of Directors (1993-2001) and has been an active volunteer in numerous professional and community organizations.

Posted by: 4th via HOF website - ADD ON | February 2, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 4th! I went to the Hall 30 years ago. Ouch. I was 9, we were living in Columbus, and I asked to go for my birthday. I had eyes like saucers in there, so cool. Blog Road Trip!

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, anybody else, thoughts on alternative locations for the HOF? As if (just to imagine) they decided to relocate it and find a new site. Nominees?

Bear in mind how contentious it was to find a place for NASCAR's new HOF, which finally settled in Charlotte but could have been in Daytona or any number of places.

All things considered, Canton's not too bad a site. Like Cooperstown and Springfield, it's a remote location in one of the alleged cradles of the sport.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Bulldogs, hmmm.......The NFL is loaded with cats (Lions, bengals, jaguars, panthers) maybe if Lancers doesn't take DC could represent the currently unrepresented (oh my there's a tangent) DOGS, and not just any dogs but Bulldogs (tough, tenacious) - Redcoat - you with me (seems like a Brit might like that)

Posted by: skinswest | February 2, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

For all I care, the Hall of Fame can be located up Michael Irvin's nose if he gets in and I don't

Posted by: Art81Monk | February 2, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I still say it's a seamless transition to Naive Americans.

Given the information up above, Canton is a fine choice, but it would be nice if you could combine a visit with some other sightseeing action. Not a lot else in Canton, I'm guessing. Bill Knapps' family style restaurant maybe. How about Vegas?

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I think it should stay in Canton. Ohio had like 3 or 4 pro teams before the NFL when the likes of Fritz Pollard, Jim Thorpe, and George Halas was playing.

Side Note - Halas hated Pollard and always tried to put him out od his misery when playing. I'm getting chills now.

Also, in the Flag Football post peeps got emotional remenicising on youth years. LEARNED Hand, thanks for the history lesson on how far East we could only go back in the day......

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

If Monk and Irvin gets in. I VOW a rode trip and I will make my faimly come along. I will tell them were going to the beach. My wife sleeps most of the time anyway so she won't know the difference.........

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

We all pitch in and rent a big tour bus, like Bon Jovi has, hire a driver, fill that sucker up with beer, and point 'er toward Canton. We'll swing by and pick up jm220, Nate, SF, and Diddy too.

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm down. Actually, getting a tour bus is not that bad if we all split the cost 50 ways (or however many people are going). We'll have one bus starting in the Upper Nortwest and one from Raleigh (I think Joe is the furthest south blogger in here) and meet at the X on the map.....

Posted by: 4th | February 2, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Combine your trip to Canton with a visit to the dubiously situated Rock and Roll HOF up the road in Cleveland. And there is a great Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, not a hall of fame but pretty cool.

Also, south of Canton are some Amish communities, places like Millersburg, absolutely beautiful countryside to visit. My folks are from eastern OH so we've been up there a lot.

Look at me, I'm like the Rust Belt chamber of commerce.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Southeastern Ohio has Ohio University in Athens, which has the craziest Halloween celebration on the plantet

Posted by: Art81Monk | February 2, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

You dudes have any idea how wide this continent is?

Canton is maybe six hours from DC, which is a cruise.

Canton is maybe thirty-six hours from Portland, which is a grueling ordeal.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but Vegas has Celine Dion, Barry Manilow, and the new all-nude Cirque de Soleil. You won't believe what they're swinging from now!

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Nothing is grueling if you have beer and a potty.

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's get Monk in first, then everything else (travel plans etc.) will sort itself out.

MONK! MONK! MONK! MONK! MONK! MONK!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

If we go, we all need to have Redskins Insider yellow sportcoats made. Think that t-shirt joint could hook that up?

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Nothing is grueling if you have beer and a potty.

Wiser words have rarely been spoken up here, SMACK.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Aaaargh, SMACK, you're killing me with the RI yellow sportscoats. jm220, charlie and I have been sitting on a MAJOR clothing-related announcement waiting for official approval. Absolutely love the yellow sportscoat idea.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"sitting on" a MAJOR clothing-related announcement...

Aha, so it's panties and jock straps. Hey has this thing officially stopped repeating repeating words?

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

HOF panties for everyone!!

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to wear a yellow sportcoat and look like Don Meredith.

Posted by: Dan Dierdorffer | February 2, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had any of the issues posting today that I have experienced in the past few days, SMACK.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, those jackets are putrid.

(That pic is for you, Redcoat.)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

..not that bad though if you go shirtless underneath.

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"..not that bad though if you go shirtless underneath"

Yeah, you can look like me and Crockett.

It helps to be in Miami though.

Posted by: Tubbs | February 2, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Here's what the RI outfit should look like for a trip to Canton.

Posted by: Capt. Pike | February 2, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm in on the Canton trip....IF Monk gets in....please!!

I'm not fond of Red Lancers - it reminds of blood letting. Maybe Red Warriors....or Red Fire.....or Red Flash....

Posted by: Lisa | February 2, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, if it does turn out to be the Lancers - at least we have our motto.

Thrust, Lancers Thrust!

Posted by: charlie | February 2, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

St. John's University, faced with almost the same dilemma, went with "Red Storm." I guess that's not too bad.

One of the first dates I went on with Mrs. Nate was a visit to the LA Zoo. We both adored the Red River hog, which has to be one of the fugliest critters on God's green earth. Just warty, hairy, snaggle-tusked, goofy looking, lying there in the mud doing a whole lot of nothing. If we're going with animals I'm voting for Red River Hogs. There's a river near DC, right?

But for now I'm sticking with the Lancers (har de har har).

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"shirtless underneath" = brilliant, Hayes!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

What the hell is a "Red Storm", that is stupid. The Skins better not change to something as lame as that.

Posted by: John | February 2, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

How about the Washington Red Ants?

Posted by: N. Tomologist | February 2, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

A red storm is a dust storm, o sheltered one.

Posted by: Sue Palka | February 2, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

which are quite common in Queens

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 2, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

As in "three yards and a cloud of . . ." - oh, nevermind!

Posted by: George Halas' Ghost | February 2, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but its not looking good for ol #81. I've seen 3 seperate reports saying they would be surprised if Monk got in. Prior to this it appeared to be the opposite.....so i guess the bottom line is who knows?

Posted by: stu "crazy eye" scott | February 2, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Fat Peter King was probably lying to us all to stop getting messages about how much he sucks. Hail #81.

Posted by: cdubb | February 2, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Okay I'm going to reveal more HOF ignorance. Has the vote already taken place and the result will be revealed tomorrow, or is there an actual election meeting tomorrow? Does the voting become a matter ofpublic record, or is it never revealed how each person voted? I could pour over websites but was hoping someone here could synthesize it real quick.

I'm glad nobody is suggesting XFL-type names like Red Rage. It's gotta, gotta be the Redd Foxxes. That dude was great.

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff up here today. "Toucanfora" has staying power 4-12, that killed me.

Jeff Hayes-you in the biz? How do you get the inside info?

Posted by: pulldownclaw | February 2, 2007 8:45 PM | Report abuse

oh yeah, Jla- I expect some late night blogging after you get back from the parties, you know abstract and free flowin'.

Posted by: pulldownclaw | February 2, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

If there was a HOF Network, I'd be watching it right now. So what'd you do on Friday night? Oh, blogged my guts out up somewhere, scratched myself now and then. I am the anti-Diddy.

Wow, Bruce Willis is no John Facenda.

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

HOF electors (40 of them) convene at 7:30am tomorrow and go from 17 finalists to a minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 new Hall of Famers. Peter King and others (HOF site) have explained how this works.

Every NFL city's press has a representative, and then there are 8 additional 'at large' dudes I guess.

Wilbon and Len Shapiro from the Post were electors for a lot of years and pushed hard for Monk. Shapiro is still in (he moved to Miami I guess?), but Wilbon is out this year and some dude I've never heard of from the Wash Times (David Elfin?) is now the Washington media person.

Complicated year. Tagliabue is in the mix. Two Senior Committee nominees, and I assume one or both of them gets in. And as usual a really difficult-to-compare group of players.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Wow. It would suck to have to wake up for a 7:30am meeting. Thanks, Nate, do you know if the votes become public, or if most of the voters choose to reveal how they voted?

Posted by: SMACK | February 2, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I like to believe some of the things I've read about how Monk and Irvin will both be elected this year, in part so the electors can break what is perceived as a logjam at WR. (Andre Reed is in this group but I think was a lesser player.)

Remember that Jerry Rice will be eligible in a few years, and after him will come a series of receivers with massive stats because of the shift to high-octane passing games.

I for one would love for Monk and Irvin to both get in, because nothing would magnify Monk's personal greatness like standing on the dais with Irvin.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, guys like Peter King and Paul Zimmerman on CNNSI disclose who they vote for and why, and I'm sure some of the other electors do the same because they're writers and this process comes under so much scrutiny, but I've never seen a full breakdown, writer by writer and candidate by candidate.

I think they also whittle down the group once or twice during the day, so people's votes can sometimes change.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Just the thought of Monk's finally getting in has got me so nervous and excited. Goosebumps.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 2, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

All 3 of them WR's mentioned above should get in. Monk, Irvin and Reed...and I hate the cowboys and Irvin. Grimm would be an added bonus.

JLC bring some miami sunshine back with you. These 20-30 degree days blow.

Posted by: cdubb | February 2, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I have a CDL for that bus trip to Canton... I can be your driver guys!

Posted by: Dorf | February 3, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Geez, you guys (and gals) have been blogging your guts out!!!

5 TCCLs for Dorf's CDL

5 TCCLs to 4-12 for "Toucanfora"

5 TCCLs (and 1 RI HOF vote) for Nate in the PDX, for blogging above and beyond the call of duty (while risking his life during the terror outbreak in Boston)

5 TCCLs for Cindy, for 9 consecutive days of editing JLaC's pixellated madness.

1 TCCL to JLaC for delivering "quality" results on a tight schedule

-100 TCCLs for any HOF elector who doesn't vote for Art Monk

I hope the Bears win, but I am not making a prediction. (Don't want to jinx either team.)

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | February 3, 2007 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Gracias, Ocho!
I think I'm gonna have "Nothing is grueling if you have beer and a potty" tatooed someplace. This is not, by the way, an invitation for suggestions as to where that tatoo should be.
I'm heading into the office around 1 to await Monk word. There'd be a short press availability with him at Redskins Park this afternoon, with a bigger official shabingus on Monday. At least, that's what we're told; plans can change.
I'm sure Jason will be posting soon. No calls from law enforcement officials in South Florida, so I think Our Boy has eluded The Man once again.

Posted by: Cindy | February 3, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, hats off to you and Jason for a terrific week on the blog. Historically, Super Bowl week without our beloved Lancers is a drag. This has been great.

I can't resist...

MONK! MONK! MONK! MONK!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 3, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Special kudos to Nate for being the only one to break St. Joe's 9pm curfew on the blog.
Anheuser Busch presents
Real Men of Genius
(real me-en of geen-yus)
Here's to you, Mr. blogging-after-everyone's-asleep-except-for-Jason.
You are a shaft of gold, when all about is dark.
(just like a stream of bat's piss)
You leave guts blogged all over the internets.
(Can't get my browser to refresh)
So enjoy a nice, cold Bud light, oh denizen of the late-night blogosphere. You make us think when we're trying to drink.
(Mr. blogging-after-everyone's-asleep-except-for-Jason)

Anheuser Busch, St. Louis

Posted by: cload and daggar | February 3, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

cload- that freakin killed me. 'stream of bat's piss'...pure genuis.

When the hell are the voting results going to cross? I can't find a timetable on any of the web pages.

Pulldown- I work for one of the networks...one with 3 call letters...so I see most of the commercials before gameday which really puts a damper on the event.

Posted by: Jeff Hayes | February 3, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

stream of bat's piss... with "Spamalot" coming to Portland this summer, I was primed for a Python reference. Excellent work as always, cload.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | February 3, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

makes me want to blog all weekend

Posted by: Dorf | February 3, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse