Jansen Likely to Miss Cincy Game

Right tackle Jon Jansen appears likely to be out for at least this week with his knee injury, Jim Zorn said.

DT Cornelius Griffin missed practice because of a pulled abdomenal muscle and was unable to do much. Zorn didn't sound overly optimistic about that situation.

LB Marcus Washington, Zorn said, could miss one more week with his ankle sprain, but he is expected to play against Philly.

LB London Fletcher (foot) is expected to play again. S Chris Horton (shoulder) is also likely to play, Zorn said.

DT Kedric Golston is still limited by his bone spurs.

TE Todd Yoder says he will play despite his knee strain, but Zorn said he may not be ready, and that rookie TE Fred Davis is ready. ("Fred's been working hard," Zorn said.)

Zorn also pointed out that RB Clinton Portis practiced fully. "He went hard," Zorn said. "He kept looking back at me and smiling."

By Jason La Canfora  |  December 10, 2008; 3:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: 'We're All in It Together'
Next: What Portis Said, Day 2

Comments

Man, that must be some calf strain.

I wish someone would ask Zorn if it's "gushing blood" or not.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Uh... who are our O linemen again? Do we even have five?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

FIRST TD for Fred?

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

On if he needed Coach Zorn to say that he appreciates him and he should not have been benched:

“I didn’t need him to say that. We talked about what our conversation should’ve been. We realized it was a situation that we let go too far. So, it’s over with.”

Case closed....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I mean, I know Lorenzo can fill in for up to two guys on any given play, but that means we need three other dudes on the line.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Nate, Maybe the Red Snapper will get a run?

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Redcoat, http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/09/defining_portis_pockets_straig.html

Now could you please tell me what TCCL stands for?

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

God, I wish we still had Moley Russell's wart on the roster.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Still, it would be nice to hear Dan or Vinny come out in public support of JZ for these last few weeks just so we know all is truly well. Their silence is somewhat telling.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 10, 2008 4:03 PM

I thought it was the opposite of this. A statement "We're firmly behind out coach" is usually taken as a sign that he will be fired in two weeks, or less.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"Springs continues to tell me he's playing, for what it's worth"

Ha Ha that says it all!

Posted by: Predator48 | December 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"CB Shawn Springs is still unable to do anything at practice with his calf strain (Springs continues to tell me he's playing, for what it's worth)." - Jasno

I'd like to point out how this is the exact opposite of how the Patriots reported Tom Brady on the injury report for the preceding several seasons.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise Couch Leaps - a now somewhat dated reference to a barometer of sorts.

Posted by: bmo63 | December 10, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

springs has to be funning with the media, when he says that stuff.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The Red Snapper is too precious, kost, too precious. That's a break-glass-only-in-case-of-emergency kind of deal. Among Placky's limitations is his inability to snap the ball to himself.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

OKAY HAVE WE ALL MADE KISSY AND APOLOGIZED? HAVE WE HAD OUR KOOM-BY-YA MOMENT?CAN WE GET BACK TO FOOTBALL NOW? WELL GOOD NOW LETS KICK SOME CINCY AZZ!!

Posted by: dargregmag | December 10, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | December 10, 2008; 3:55 PM ET

Another bad omen. Mr. Snyder told him, "Clinton your pockets are straight, but Jim Zorn's are crooked. You stay medium. He's going to be rare in three more weeks."

That's what put the smile on Clinton's face.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Tre' Johnson is working for Carvel Ice Cream... I guess he could suit up Sunday and pick up some extra holiday cash.

Ho-Ho-Ho

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay. I'm going to bite.

"Portis' pockets are straight"

What does this mean please? I keep seeing it on here.

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

It was from the B-Mitch radio interview he where Portis and B-Mitch were fighting and at one point Portis said something like "I'm a man come at me like a man cause whether you like it or not I'm gonna play like I play and cause Portis' pockets are straight" it was a third person reference to how much money he makes so obviously he's doing something right.

Up here, we are completely convinced that we know the job requirements of an NFL coach. We also know that our own job is to post up here all day.

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

so you actually think it was a good idea that the head of the team did talk to its best player about why he sat him at all prior to the two day later regular scheduled radio appearance of said star player on the most listened to and team owner owned local area radio show when you have to know every media outlets first question will be "are you hurt", "then why weren't you playing".

come on dc, you tried to sound intelligent there by saying we're not smart enough to get what Zorn's job is but this was a very basic situation and a very dumb handling of it by Zorn.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

As usual, it seems that I may be the minority on this blog with my opinion. I think the statements from the two ARE reassuring. Zorn is letting Portis be Portis, which is good. Zorn also seems unaffected by Portis being Portis, which is also good.

However, the underlying issue remains, and will remain until this offense gets it right. There's no hiding under friendships with this team.

Zorn scores a few points for speaking on accountability and saying "we're all in this together", even if he didn't call himself out specifically the way he has with the players. But eventually, it will all come down to this: can Zorn get this offense to operate to its potential? That's all that matters to Snyder, that's all that matters to Cerrato, and that's all that matters to Portis. If Zorn can close in on reaching that goal, he'll keep his job for sure - even if we end up missing the playoffs. If he can't, then it's open-season come the offseason.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | December 10, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Nate, active roster STILL includes Jansen. But also Thomas, Rabach, and Kendall.

Insert Fabini, Heyer, Rinehart, Devin Clark and two new guys: Will Montgomery and SoAndSo Batiste. [The former is on the Skins site roster, the latter not yet.]

Are we having fun yet or what?

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Nate, Maybe the Red Snapper will get a run?

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:05 PM

Why not, he is a pro bowl'er after all.

Posted by: Predator48 | December 10, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

If we hadn't let him go, we could've had Leigh Torrence play O-Line

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey dargregmag, I meant to ask you about your handle. Are you a big fan of the knockabout '90s 'comedy' show "Dharma and Greg" or something?

Posted by: Redcoat | December 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

*** FF ***

I agree that NY isn't dropping 2 in a row. But ryan is against the TB defense, who are in a must win situation of their own. i think in terms of W/L NY over Dallas, TB over Falcons...

-but from a numbers prospective, you still think Ryan will put up more pts than Romo?

*** end FF ***

Posted by: AisforAdam | December 10, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

We're going to put 50 on the Bengalis.

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

What is the over/under on how many more weeks people are trying to make something out of nothing with this whole thing??

Longer than pining for LTorrence has lasted
Or shorter??

Longer than regretting the team let APierce go
Or shorter?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

... this was a very basic situation and a very dumb handling of it by Zorn.

Posted by: zjfr2 | December 10, 2008 4:10 PM

We don't have complete information ... and you are still posting up here as much as I do (when I'm not flipping through the classifieds looking for NFL GM job openings).

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

This whole Portis-Zorn shabingus is an "in case of emergency, fill glass" situation.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Can you tell us specifically what is wrong with Springs calf? I mean this is f'ing ridiculous being out this long with a calf strain. Everyone else plays through some bumps and bruises but Springs it seems has to be in perfect condition before he sets foot on the field. I'm sick of that guy, he needs to grow a pair. I hope they release him once the season is over.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | December 10, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone else get the feeling that after a week of practicing against each other, our o and d lines are just not ready to face primetime talent? I love hearing about good players who face each other in practice all week (Like Jacoby vs Manley, or Munoz vs Krumrie, or whatever) and it just makes them better and better. Now that Samuels is out, I cannot think of a single player we have on either line at this point that someone would consider practicing against getting them a gametime advantage....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | December 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg, some thing are forever ... nothing will outlive the loss of Antonio Pierce, not even cockroaches after nuclear winter (note: cockroaches hate AFC teams, so this is one of those story lines that is destined for eternity).

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Longer than pining for LTorrence has lasted
Or shorter??

Longer than regretting the team let APierce go
Or shorter?

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:14 PM

This depends on whether Jasno can tie it to Vinny. If he can, we'll hear about it as long as Jasno is on this beat. If he can't we'll hear about it until the 'Skins win again.

Of course, I don't think it's over. We've only seen the opening salvo.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | December 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Zorn said that, in his mind, "I shouldn't have to seek that out." He added that he felt Portis had some legitimate concerns and "confusion" but believes the issues have been resolved.

He is just not getting it. I really starting to turn on this guy.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | December 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

By the way, 4-12, great job of tipping this week!

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Adam, yes, Ryan will put up more points than Romo because F Dallas.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence is forever

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

We're going to put 50 on the Bengalis.

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:14 PM

Points or Yards?

Posted by: Predator48 | December 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence, Leigh Torrence(formerly beep beep)

Posted by: BeantownGreg | December 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

...Devin Clark and two new guys: Will Montgomery and SoAndSo Batiste...

Posted by: dcsween | December 10, 2008 4:11 PM

*[Nodding towards Portland]*

WR-TE-WR

Posted by: 4-12 | December 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Man, I'm getting corkczar'd today with the beeps.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Can you tell us specifically what is wrong with Springs calf?

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | December 10, 2008 4:15 PM

I know!! JT's calf was leaking gross pus, and he was hospitalised to have it drained, and he missed less time!

Posted by: kost52 | December 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bmo63

TCCL's are over! No more please. Time to get rid of it, and the hoggettes. Tired, a bit weird, and not at all relevant in 2008.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | December 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

How is Cooley doing in his fantasy league and where did he get that trophy from? The one the Redskins play for...my friend showed me a picture and the thing is incredible. Just curious. Also, give the Rock to Portis, Zorn....he's are best weapon.

Posted by: Cooley-O | December 10, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

We're going to put 50 on the Bengalis.
Posted by: kost52

this must refer to 50 healthy players, including two guys from the local Jiffy Lube who will grease the ball before the Bungles head out for offense.

put me in the "springs must go" camp. let deangelo hall fill that spot.
doesn't matter how good a dback springs is if he's only on the field for 20% of the games.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | December 11, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Jansen not playin this weekend - JACKPOT!!!!

Springs saying he's playing this weekend - COMPLETE SHOCKER!!!!!!

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | December 11, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

I wished I smoked crack. Then I would honestly believe that we would be able to score 50 points.

I'm hoping that we can score 17 points and that we can hold Cincy to 14.

Posted by: cprob001 | December 11, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse