Zorn Addresses Plans at Combine

Mark Maske is covering the scouting combine in Indianapolis and just blogged about Jim Zorn's presser. For the full story and for more NFL and combine news, go to The League:

Zorn said the team must get some of its younger reserves on its offensive line ready to play larger roles next season if needed. He stopped short of proclaiming, however, that the club's aging offensive line must be overhauled this offseason.
He said he doesn't expect the Redskins to re-sign cornerback DeAngelo Hall or guard Pete Kendall, both prospective unrestricted free agents, before the opening of the NFL's free agent market on Feb. 27. But he didn't completely rule it out, either, and said the team remains hopeful of re-signing both eventually.
He said the Redskins remain interested in bringing back defensive end Jason Taylor for a second season with the team.

By Cindy Boren  |  February 19, 2009; 2:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall Heads Skins' Free-Agent List
Next: DeAngelo Hall/Phillip Daniels Update

Comments

ugh, are you freaking kidding me???

same old stupidity, let hall hit the market after 3 top corners were tagged or resigned in the last week so you get in a bidding war with other teams. Bring back a 37 year old guard with bad knees and keep a $8 million bad decision.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I was afraid that I would spend all that time blogging in the last post and then a new post would pop up.

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

So are we broke or being responsible not giving into DHall's demands? Bringing back Jason Taylor at what kind of #. Better not be that 8M.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

It's time to let Kendall move on.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | February 19, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

And what sort of job do you believe I hold, kind sir?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 19, 2009 2:55 PM

Well, from the amount you're posting up here I figured you were like me -- one of the Post's professional Blog Facilitators.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Recent JT sighting, working out at the new Florida Atlantic U facility in Boca Raton. My daughter tells me he's looking pretty good. I tell her I'm not paying for her to look at him and remind her to focus on her studies.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | February 19, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

It reads to me that they aren't going to be activly addressing the Oline during FA. Yikes. Brining Taylor back is to save face.

Posted by: TWISI | February 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

You need to click through to the full Maske story if you haven't already. He mentions that Colt could become the backup QB.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

te - you're on SALARY!? Cindy's paying me per post...it's hard, I tell you, hard...though I did get some extra money last year for one of my posts being mentioned on si.com.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

TWISI,

I agree that each draft board is different, but I like the two that I used (seem to be competent). And I'm not saying that Vinnie is the best GM or even a great one. However, he has found some good value in later rounds and hit on Landry and Thomas (you'll see this year). I agree that Rhinehart and Tryon were reaches. Wish we had those two picks back.

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: InRealAmerica | February 19, 2009 3:10 PM

She may see this as homework for some biology course she's taking.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

From the previous blog.

2009 Draft:

Based on this data and team needs, I tried to project the upcoming draft (all based on pre-combine grades).

My sources for most of this info were profootballweekly.com (PFW) and nfldraftcountdown.com (NFLDC).

Read as follows:
Round/Player/POS/Grade/Where the grade places them per PFW/NFLDC Positional Rank/NFLDC Overall Rank/PFW Positional Rank/PFW Overall Rank

1/Michael Oher/OT/6.30/1st round-starter by 2nd season/4/13/3/18
3/Marcus Freeman/OLB/5.50/late 2nd or 3rd round/5/81/8/74
5/Lawrence Sidbury/DE/5.30/4th round/14/NR/NR/139
6/Ryan Succop/K/5.09/Top FA-could be drafted/3/NR/3/NR

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 2:59 PM

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

johndinhouston,

If you were getting paid per post you would be far more prolific. You'd probably even go to those day labor corners in Houston and hire a few braceros to write stuff for you.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

From Maske's column:

According to Zorn, the Redskins plan to be active and aggressive in exploring the possibilities of signing free agents from other teams. He cautioned that doesn't necessarily mean that the club will make the same sort of big-money free agent signings that once were commonplace under owner Daniel Snyder and front office chief Vinny Cerrato. The players in which the Redskins are interested, he said, must be willing to sign with them for a reasonable price. Still, it's a departure from the proclamations being made this time last offseason, when Zorn and Cerrato were saying that the Redskins wouldn't be active in free agency.

At least if this is true it could be a good offseason, we need a lot more than just 4 picks. But when it starts out we're bringing JT back, that we want Kendal back at anything but the vet minimum, or that we let Hall hit the open market, it's only gonna be but so good. Big time gamble to assume that a 24 year old player of Hall's ability won't have suitors, even with the Raider snafu, its the Raiders, everyone looks bad there. He came here and made plays, took a starting role almost immediately and almost led the team in INT's playing in half the games.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm Vinny Cerato . People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling Zorn is just being amiable. He has far less info about the goings on of the team than Gibbs did when he was here.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch next year if we bring back Taylor without cutting him down to min. - same w Springs, etc.

We seriously need to cut some fat before next Friday. Please someone do SOMETHING.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 3:20 PM

I thought the other corner looked pretty good there.

But what do you think is a "fair" price for Hall? And how much do you think he's demanding from the Redskins? And might that figure go down if other teams won't pay him that much?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe this is a sign of a FO that won't overpay for a player with a questionable reputation who two other teams have given up on.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Zorn here! I'm all about havin' fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in me, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off. Anyway, I kinda known for my catch phrase WHAMMY! As in Jason Campbell under center... iiittt WHAMMY! WHAMMY!

Posted by: alex35332 | February 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Shawn Springs must be really healthy?

How do you let Hall walk?

Have the Skins ever franchised a player?

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 19, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11

TOTALLY AGREE. Zorn sounds exactly like a guy whose being told info on a 'need to know' basis. And I suspect some of the stuff Zorn's being fed from above is deliberately wrong.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

TE, maybe so, you very well could be right, it also strikes me though that it could be another Dockery type deal where we didn't lock up a young starter before he tested the market and then he got an offer that we couldn't reasonably match. But you're right, I have not heard a word about what his contract expectations are so maybe he's wanting ludicrous money and they are hoping he can't find it on the open market. Asomugha just got a reported 3 years $40 million with $28.5 guaranteed from the team that Hall got cut from. So I guess if he's expecting anywhere near that then he should hit the market. I would think a 3 year deal at $20 million with 8 or 9 guaranteed should get it done, but who knows I guess. I just think its a gamble to let him hit the market.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

People call me the Danny man; I'm the stylish one of the group. I know what you're asking yourself and the answer is yes. I have a nick name for my penis. Its called the Ralljon, but I also nick named my testes - my left one is lil'Vinny and my right one is lil'Larry. You ladies play your cards right you just might get to meet the whole gang.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

it's hard, I tell you, hard...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM

Thats what she said

Sorry a little office humor, I love that show

Posted by: GreatOne1 | February 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 3:44 PM |

Hall had an eight year, $72 million contract with the Raiders. He got $8 million of it as a signing bonus. I don't think we're getting him for 3 years @ $20 million. Jasno was guessing it would be eight years, $48 million with $12 million guaranteed.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

No way is Hall's agent gonna let him sign for peanuts. With the franchising/signing of other top CB's, could it be that Hall is now the #1 CB free agent. He's gonna get big bucks and the Skins just don't have the salary cap to sign him. Sayonara!

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Alex -

I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You may want to find yourself a safehouse or a relative nearby .... lay low for a while, cause youre probably wanted for murder.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 19, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Well you said you know a short cut to the suit store, we have been walking for 40 minutes.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The one NFL note that had me laughing hysterically:

Chargers Franchise Darren Sproles.

Now why is that so funny? Because Norv refused to play Sproles for most of the season!!! In 10 of the 16 games, Sproles had 3 carries ... or less!!!!! Even with LT hurting.

You're supposed to franchise your best players, not a 2nd string guy who the coach won't even put in when the starter isn't healthy!!!

You can franchise Sproles, you can retain Norv as coach. But when the coach won't play the franchise player ... something is really wrong!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, Alex got started early on happy hour

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

'...I have a feeling Zorn is just being amiable...'

I dunno about amiable.

This all seems like poker that works like this.

The Redskins bend over, and some other team's GM pokes Vinny in the butt.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

also, even after the restructure of ARE and Carter, we're still 4 mil of the cap, if we keep Taylor how do they plan on being aggressive in the FA market, who do they cut then to comply?

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The franchise tag is a funny thing. The majority of the guys getting tagged are solid players but certainly wouldn't enter the conversation about being 1 guy we have to have to build a team around. Kickers like Jason Hanson, Leroy Hill, Bo Scaife, Dunta Robinson, Darren Sproles etc.

The last time I recall the Skins using the tag was on Sean Gilbert when we got 2 first rounders from Carolina when they signed him.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 19, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

If I had a vote in Asbburn,

I would deal the number 1 pick for two picks

Deal CP (and Play Betts) for 2 picks

Draft as many O and D linemen as I could

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I too was thinking that alex may be sauced up right now.

or cloud nine riding...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, the problem is, I'm getting paid piece work from several other 'Skins sites by Vinnie and Dan, so I'm spread pretty thin...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 19, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh Good (insert maker here)!!!!!!!!

More "trade Portis for..." talk?

Salary cap hit, contract, one of the better RBs in the league (Especially Betts!)... pick one, and that's the reason why trading Portis before '10 isn't going to happen.

He, like Snyder, will be around for a while.

Get used to it.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The point of the franchise tag is to get good value for guys who are in high demand for other teams (or keep a guy you REALLY don't want to get away ("exclusive"). Its only for FAs.

Tom Brady is under contract, so hes not going anywhere. But a lot of teams would love to have Cassel after last year. To get him, a team would have to give up two 1st rounders to get him.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

just heard a snippet of a Cerrato interview earlier today... I think this may have been posted already.

he said that he sees the 'skins bringing back Jason Taylor...

he said the focus at the combine and the draft will be offensive linemen, defensive linemen, and LB.

this just sounds too damn good to be true.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say they would, I said its what I would do.

Redskins are old where it counts in the league...across their lines. They need to fix it asap. And they won't.

They's keep CP, and he will slowly and inexorably fade. His value will not be higher in '10 than it is now.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Maybe letting DHall hit the open market mean the Skins waiting to see if they can land Albert Haynesworth?

Posted by: demonj21 | February 19, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Bo Scaife was franchised by the Titans?

I wasn't impressed by his performance this year, then again I ain't Jeff and them either.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

2008 season:
L Betts 61 carries, 22 catches (13games)
Sproles 61 carries, 29 catches (16games)

Seriously, Norv used Sproles less than Zorn used Betts!!! I mean, even Vinny wouldn't franchise LaDell Betts.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

SkinsfaninKaneohe, okay, that's not what they would do, but that's what you'd do.

Okay, point taken.

But I ask, given CP's contract and the cap hit you'll sustain, how would you be able to make that move? Would you be fine going into "cap hell" for like two or three years?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

he said that he sees the 'skins bringing back Jason Taylor...

this just sounds too damn good to be true.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:12 PM

Cerrato said what I said .... I just said ti a year ago. How come I knew ... but he didn't. Or more importantly, how come he gets paid to be wrong and I get nothing for being right?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

2008 season:
L Betts 61 carries, 22 catches (13games)
Sproles 61 carries, 29 catches (16games)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he will after he deals CP for a couple picks. LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Vinny made an appearance on both the NFL Network and Redskins Nation this week talking about the Combine. He said they (his posse) studies film on the players and this is how they determine who to pick. Said the Combine is helpful but not what their decision is based on.

He was asked about players we have drafted who excelled at the Combine and those we have drafted who stunk at the Combine.

Those who excelled: Devin Thomas - Vinny said he was fabulous

Those who stunk: Fred Davis - said he dropped every pass at the Combine but caught every pass in the film clips they watched

Derrick Dockery: Vinny said Dock was just plain bad.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

JT coming back is the same reason Frost got cut after clearly having the better preseason, and its why Tryon is on the roster, its Vinny's ego and inability to admit an error. We have a chance to cut a guy who makes 8 million at no penalty and who most anybody off the street could replace his production but we won't because Vinny traded for him and therefore he can't admit it was a error. Classic Skins since Snyder took over.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Z's, I think that Tomlinson may be either traded or released either this offseason or next. That's the only reason I can see them franchising Sproles.

They aren't going to let him get away like Michael Turner.

If I were Sproles, I'd do like Mike Turner and bulk up a little - he should see way more carries next year.

I hope I'm wrong, sometimes I think we overestimate the demise of athletes, especially when they are a little older and have a down year, but Tomlinson might be on his way to a major decline, if he hasn't already.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Sure I would love to go into cap hell. That way, i wouldn't (because I couldn't) ANNUALLY PAY OUT THE BUTT for overpriced free agents instead of addressing my actual needs...like getting younger and better across the lines, at LB, and the secondary, in that order.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 19, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Vinny and his posse?

Posse?

Someone get me a Kris Kross CD, a looney tunes shirt with the urban themed looney tunes on it, and a super soaker 50.

It's got be '92 all over again.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Actually, my Sproles rant was more about Norv. Norv has an amazing talent in Sproles and won't play him. Norv takes one of the most talented teams in the league and they are 4-8 in the weakest division in football!! They win 4 straight to eke out the division at 8-8 and the Chargers retain him? Fools

I hate Norv

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Zeke,

Maybe they franchised Sproles so they can get some trade value for him? If he signs the franchise offer, what does it cost the Chargers?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Zeke,

I'm no fan of Norv's but he had serious injury problems this year, he had a game stolen from him by Ed Hochuli, and he had a miserable game where he had to fly to London. There are other excuses, but I can't come up with them now.

Norv took Marty's team and won two playoff games with them -- two more than Marty won.

No reason for Chargers to fire him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The Skins just need to purge the roster
of Gibb's regime, and let Coach Zorn, have
his kind of players in place. I do not
mind waiting 1-2 years again. Also, we
do not necessarily need CB Hall.

Posted by: madalao | February 19, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins just need to purge the roster
of Gibb's regime, and let Coach Zorn, have
his kind of players in place. I do not
mind waiting 1-2 years again. Also, we
do not necessarily need CB Hall."

Posted by: madalao

Are you flippin' serious????

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 19, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, having football players on a football team are overated

Posted by: trolly_time | February 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Franchising Sproles was the smart move for the Chargers (as I argued a month ago). He isn't worth what someone was sure to pay him in a long-term contract, but he is worth a hefty salary for one year if the Chargers feel like they are close to a SB run (which I'm sure they feel they are, considering the talent they have, and the fact that they're getting Merriman back).

Still, with Norv running the show, they probably are slightly delusional.

Posted by: psps23 | February 19, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn is playing hardball in the negotiations with Hall’s agent. If Hall wants massive amounts of money then I say we let him ride out FA, the Redskins primary problem right now, in my humble opinion, is that all our major talent only sees $$$. I think Rogers should stay no matter what; you have to be deep at cornerback in today’s pass heavy NFL. If somehow we are able to land Hall, Springs should be cut. He only plays in half the games, is overpaid, and is at the end of his career. To make cap room Washington, and Taylor need to be cut. This talk about bringing Taylor back is disturbing and the skins better be offering no more than 3 million. I wanted ARE to be cut, but after reading the details of his contract, I understand why the skins are keeping him around. Hopefully Zorn will give Kelly, and Thomas some playing time, and guve thgem a chance to prove themselves. O-line should be first concern of the draft, but if a better valued player at D-lineman is available, they should go with him. I still am not convinced 17 is the real deal, and not resigning him is the right move. If he tears it up early next year, the FO should resign him as soon as possible. However, the chances of that happening are low, Campbell needs to understand it time to step up or sit down.

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 19, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

My comment regarding Sproles and Norv is this.

If Sproles is worth top money (avg of top 5 RB salaries) ... why would you retain a coach that couldn't see that level of talent?

The only reason Sproles is getting his due is because LT went down and COULD NOT play at the end of the year -- not because Norv thought Sproles was good.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

madalao: "The Skins just need to purge the roster of Gibb's regime, and let Coach Zorn, have his kind of players in place. I do not
mind waiting 1-2 years again."

I bet Dan Snyder does (minds waiting, that is). New coaches always inherit somebody else's players. Sometimes that helps a lot -- Jon Gruden should send flowers to Tony Dungy for that Tampa Super Bowl win some years back.

But I confess I don't understand why Snyder hired Zorn in the first place. He was looking for somebody young and energetic and smart to groom a QB. Seattle had impressed him in that playoff game. He unloaded the veteran Al Saunders, and Zorn was one of the respected Young Turks. So far so good.

But somewhere in that series of transactions, Jim Zorn became the Head Coach.

Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Probably better -- it made no sense to me at the time, and still doesn't.

Was he ready? Well, let's say he was more ready than Sarah Palin.

I suspect it was an impulse hire. Snyder is known for impulses. He sets his heart on somebody famous and goes after him whole hog -- the private planes, the luxe suites, the dinners with Redskin ex-greats, the unlimited expense accounts -- and if it doesn't work, he's at a loss.

There's no second alternative. That's where Zorn came in.

Was it a mistake? Sure, you could argue that. You could argue that we already lost a year grooming a coach whose offensive philosophy calls for a different type of player than the Skins have on their roster. Zorn clearly revamped his strategy early last season when he realized his line could block for the run but not the pass. Props to Zorn for pragmatism.

It all fell apart in the second half, of course.

Dan Snyder's no idiot. I'd say he's a marketing genius. If only they didn't have to play the darn games on the field against other teams, we'd be perennial champs.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 19, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn clearly revamped his strategy early last season when he realized his line could block for the run but not the pass. Props to Zorn for pragmatism."

Precisely why we need to revamp the o-line

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 19, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Largely agree with Brutus. Don't overpay Hall and be careful about guys who are all about the $$$.

Gibbs restored respect into the equation, but its really easy to lose it. Especially with guys like Portis. With Gibbs, no one got to have a big ego because no one other than Gibbs and his coaches had earned a Lombardi (or 3). Danny, Vinny, Zorn ... they've won nothing.

I do think Campbell is the QB and signing him now for reasonable $$ is the way to go. He proved that with a good OL and 1 good WR, he's a good QB. He's done comeback wins and clutch drives. Plus the Skins also had about 5 penalties that cost them TDs in the 1st half of the year. When the guys around him played well, Campbell was excellent.

The knock on Campbell is that he can't overcome a terrible OL and create magic from nothing the way Favre or Elway did. But with a solid crew around him, Campbell is a winner.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

JC needs compition and pressure. If he cant step up and become the unquestioned starter, he needs to move on. I am sympathetic to the fact that he has had so many different o-coordinators. On the other hand, this argument that FO needs to resign him to a long term deal, and Zorn needs to emphasize that he is the future at QB, is ridiculous. If Campbell can’t perform under pressure, how is he supposed to win the big games for us? Taking all the pressure off our young quarterback to build his confidence and let him focus on the game is the worst thing we can do. Campbell needs to know that this has to be his year or else

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 19, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

For the record I hope Campbell succeeds, I justwant him to prove he can thrive in this system. I dont want to see the FO try to force a sqaure peg into a round hole to justify a big contract.

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 19, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

SIGN D. HALL!!! PRIORITY#1. Let Kendell go and Springs. Springs is a top corner when he's healthy, and with his age it'll be that way less and less. Im okay with J. Taylor sticking around, but wouldnt be crushed if we loose him. I was hoping the big agent we were gonna spend the big$$ for would have been Julius Peppers who was recently tagged, doubt now the skins would be able to pull that. We only have 4 draft picks.

Posted by: erleach | February 19, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I miss the Redskins more with every passing day. This is sad. :`( I want to go to training camp.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 19, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Brutus, we just disagree on Campbell and whether he's ready. I thought he showed plenty last year. He went 1/2 a season without throwing an INT, played in several close games under plenty of pressure (beating dal in dal, for example) and WON. Even vs StL, he put us ahead late in the game.

Campbell dropped off when Santana tweaked his hammy, the OL got old and we played defenses like Pittsburgh, Ravens + the NFC East. Didn't help that Zorn's play calling was pretty unimpressive on top of it. Few QBs would have been effective with what Campbell had around him in the 2nd half of the year.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 19, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought I'd seen everything. We keep Jason Taylor and let Hall escape to FA?

Snyder's pricy acquisitions are noteworthy only because they're unproven and then they look like crap. Archuleta anyone?

For once, the team has a player who's asking a lot but who is worth every penny! And they pick NOW to back off?

Gah. Glad ARE got resigned. What would a Skins season be without a passel of journeymen WRs. Hope Thrash is safe!

Posted by: messykat | February 19, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Interesting post here from one of DC's local papers in the local Dallas paper:

Cooley says he's better than Witten because he has more YAC. All the Cowpuke fans are gloating on Witten. Heck, if Cooley had the same O-line and WR's that Witten did, he would phenomenal.

What do you all think?

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Count me as one who was impressed by J. Campbell during the 2nd half of the season, when he had to run for his life immediately after the snap far too often.

I thought he still showed great fortitude in picking up 1st downs with his legs, and keeping control of the ball even though the other teams knew they had only 2 guys (Cooley and Moss) to cover.

Also: Now is the time to get a good deal, even a bargain, for a number of years with a still-young talent like that. Same thing for Carlos on the other side of the ball.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | February 19, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

What do you all think?

Posted by: RITCA | February 19, 2009 7:38 PM |
=============================================
I think, given the state of our team, it's dangerous to trash talk to anyone else.

EXCEPT THE COWGIRLS!!! BWA HA HA!!1one!!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | February 19, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I hate to be wishy-washy on Hall, but I think he is a very good CB. Second of all, he's young. If you sign him, you've got a 24 year old and 25 year old corner and a 29 year old corner in Smoot as a backup.

BUT...

I would play hardball with him. Having said that, I think Hall would get swept up by another team. Good corners are hard to find.

Finally, I think we're onto something with Devin Thomas. I think he's young and a bit raw, but he seems hungry and has some edge.

What ya'll think?

Posted by: rickyroge | February 19, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Why bring back Jason Taylor? He did nothing last season to convince any one that his heart is still into playing football. Time to cut ties and move on by drafting a younger player. Face it Vinny your srewed up and Taylor is just not going to work out. This is why the Redskins organization will continue to be a failure. Thanks Vinny and Danny way to f it up again.

Posted by: bigjofc | February 19, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

YES THE ENTIRE OL needs to be overhauled. The beginning of the presser appears to underline with indelible red ink over-and-over again. NO TO DL, NO TO LB, maybe corner (if they lose Hall, Springs, and Carlos Rogers). just use all 4 draft picks on OL and pray for the best.

Stupidity does indeed rule. As a result there is no choice by triage. First on the list is in fact the entire offensive line.

"Guard Randy Thomas, according to Zorn, underwent surgery last month for a neck injury. The injury was related to Thomas's spine and was causing some numbness, according to Zorn, who added he was not clear about all the medical details. Thomas was diagnosed with the injury during the season and knew he eventually would have to undergo surgery but continued playing, Zorn said."

Posted by: periculum | February 19, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I did not see anything about Lee Torrance....what gives?

Posted by: The_Spear | February 19, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

...folks are a little anxious...

...folks want the team to do something bold, positive, aggressive...

...folks are so jumpy for action by the Skins FO, they'll passively aggressively encouraging the same kind of 'done without thinking' things that have the franchise in the position it is in now...

...smart folks appreciate what hopefully will be a slow, considerate, intelligent approach to this FA business by the Redskins...

...some folks, like Moe, believe the team feels it has many of the pieces it needs to progress and won't be like a drunken sailor on libery when FA gets going...

...folks who hate on the FO for a lack of moves should check around and notice something: all of the teams mentioned as making 'bold, smart moves' are so far only locking down the guys they truly need...

...folks must understand that in all professional sports so far, teams are following the economy's lead and are as cautious as Prez Bam Bam in a FOX Newsroom...

...there will be news folks--just be prepared as most of it promises to be stuff you don't want to hear...

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 19, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

"JC needs compition and pressure. If he cant step up and become the unquestioned starter, he needs to move on...Campbell needs to know that this has to be his year or else

Posted by: Brutus2"

Campbell already has become the unquestioned starter, and he already knows that this has to be his year or else, given the fact that he doesn't have a long-term contract.

There is no need for a true competition. Competition is bad for any quarterback, anywhere. Cutting a guy's snaps and reps in practice, and cutting a guy's snaps and reps with his first team offense is NOT a good thing for your starting QB. By doing that, all you're doing is inhibiting the chemistry between the QB and all his offensive teammates (something that this offense cannot afford).

If Campbell can't do it this year, he most likely won't be back. There is no need for a QB competition, whatsoever.

Posted by: psps23 | February 19, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

'...There is no need for a true competition...'

Hate to disagree, but even Tom Brady has competition, at least this year he does--why do you think the pats tagged M Cassel?

And if he's insecure, he'll be just another hater leading a team.

Competition won't hurt Campbell as much as a sense of entitlement will.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 19, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Moe, there is no shot Cassel is challenging Brady. All Cassel is is a safety valve. They tagged him because they don't know if Brady will be healthy, and because Cassel has value around the league so it may be possible to trade him at some point. That is not a QB competition. If Brady is healthy, he is the unquestioned starter.

Posted by: psps23 | February 19, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

"Bringing in a guy who'll be breathing on Campbell's neck will bother Campbell only if he's insecure."

No, it will bother him physically because if it's a QB competition, the new guy will be taking half of Campbell's snaps with Moss/ARE/Kelly/Thomas/Cooley. That is not what you want.

You don't need a QB competition to provide a sense of pressure on Campbell. He already has that because he's playing for a contract.

Posted by: psps23 | February 19, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

HIGHLIIGHTS:

UPDATED (4:39 p.m.)...

Zorn's comments at the interview podium...

What did your review of the season show?
"Yeah, there were a couple of things to look at. Number one, where we got stopped in our offensive thrust to try to get the ball in the end zone was really from the plus-50 to the plus-20. That's where we ended a lot of drives. So we have been taking a detailed look at that. There are some answers there, and that's what we're trying to address as we come into our minicamps, training camp... as we start experimenting with some new ideas. Our overall schemes are going to stay the same. It's how we get that ball into the red zone and then be able to score from the red zone--those are some concerns of mine because we didn't score enough points this football season."

Will you have the salary cap space to be active?
"Yes. Again, I wouldn't know how much. And that plays a part in how active we can be. Some teams can be more active than others. I'm not gonna go into talking about what the space is."

How did you change, evolve as coach?
"I think that what I'm doing now is I have a much better handle on the process it's gonna take to get towards our upcoming season. I don't have to be concerned about as much of putting in a whole new scheme, of trying to get everybody up to speed on vocabulary and kind of the way we're gonna run things, that things are running smooth. From the nuts and bolts of it, those things are already laid out. I don't think I'll evolve from a total transformation, being one way one year and a completely different way another. I think just the experience that I've gotten from the first year has helped me. I hope to be as enthusiastic and as constant and as consistent and I've been in the past.
"The changes that have to be made are small, significant, directional changes in everybody's need to try to get better. You can't stay the same. I've said this to our team: If you really just stay the way you are, if you do what you've always done, you'll be what you've always been. That's kind of the picture there. We have to make some changes. But I wouldn't say that I have to go 180 degrees. That would mean that everything we've done didn't matter. And we're building a program, and so the things that we are doing matter. That's where we're heading."

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 19, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

On Jason Taylor...
"I think on both sides, it's really frustrating for Jason to have all the adversity, especially starting out with us, changing a whole environment and then getting injured and then getting injured again. And so it was really an uphill battle for him. I think fortunately for us, he battled his way through. I tip my hat to him because he played injured. Every week I would always say to our media, 'I don't know. That's gonna be a game-time situation.' And yet he came through and played as hard as he could. I think it was a disappointment for him to not be as disruptive on the other side of the line of scrimmage as he wanted to be. Yeah, I think we hope to have him back. That'll be something that we work through as free agency begins and as we decide how our defense is gonna line up. Some of it has to do with him, too. So, yeah, we're working on that. I think we have a very good relationship. I think he really liked playing Redskin football and I think he would only like to play Redskin football at 100 percent."

On Jason Campbell entering the final season of his contract...
"I don't know how that's gonna get done quite yet. I haven't really thought about his contract as it has to do with me because those things are kind of worked out as the player goes along with his own agent and our administration. I know that I'm getting ready to coach him hard, just like I did last year. As far as the years or extension, I don't know how that's gonna play out yet."

Can he separate the business and the playing?
"Well, I hope so. It'll always be in the back of his mind, I think, when he's on that subject. But I think when he's trying to get better, I think he can do that. I think he's a pretty quality guy. I don't think he'll stay away because he wants to negotiate a contract. I think he'll be there working hard, trying to be a better QB."

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 19, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Do you need to overhaul an aging offensive line?
"I wouldn't word it like that because that means that, again, we're going in an 180-degree direction. But I think we've got to get the younger guys, the [Chad] Rineharts, the [Devin] Clarks, the guys that are battling to earn playing time--we've got to get them up to speed. And I think this offseason program that starts in the middle of March will help them help us. And then the guys that we do have that are the older, veteran guys--they've been around for a long time. I fully suspect they'll be back to prepare themselves physically, healing wounds.
"I see Chris Samuels in the office every day. I see him working, rehabbing, trying to get ready so that he can start on day one. The other issue is Randy Thomas, who just had a bit of a neck surgery, working on part of his spine. What is calls for, for him, is to rest it completely. He's been calling, itching to get back lifting and running and doing those things, but there's a progression to it. So I guess the long answer is, and I'll try to make it shorter, is all those guys are preparing themselves to be in our offseason program, to get themselves ready for another year. As far as changes, some of it will depend on how the rehabs go and how the younger guys improve as to where our needs are truly going to be."

What you learned as a head coach, clock management...
"I felt very comfortable in the situations, having played quarterback for a while and understood where the time needs to be saved. I think I got into trouble early in the season where I felt like I could have gone back and saved a minute of time, especially in one game. I lost some seconds there, not thinking fast enough. Other than that, I felt like we were pretty good as far as the time management. Where I had to really focus, and I didn't realize it, was as the play-caller, I'm getting ready for the next series and if our defense is on the field in the last two minutes of the game and we need to take defensive timeouts or decide on penalties or decide on how defensive situations are going to play out, I had to be much more focused in that. That wasn't necessarily comfortable early in the year, but it became more comfortable as the year went on. But that was something I had to deal with."

On Clinton Portis being noncommittal about participating in offseason workouts...
"Well, I want everybody to participate. As far as it being a concern, I think he's going to come in in very good shape. I'm hoping that he'll participate in everything. I haven't had that conversation with him, or I could answer that question for you today. But I fully expect him to participate at a strong level. I think he will himself. Everybody knows what's at stake. Based on the percentage, I can't tell you how much that's going to be yet because I haven't talked to him."

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 19, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

UPDATE II (5:22 p.m.)...

Some of what Zorn said to a group of reporters after his formal press conference...

On the cornerback situation...
"We're in really good shape because we've got guys sitting there in Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers. But the decisions are DeAngelo [Hall], Shawn Springs. We've got Justin Tryon, who we got last year. So we're good there. The athletes that we're talking about there are very good. But free agency will determine direction and, really, it will determine on a couple of those situations how we end up. I can't even imagine what that's going to be like. I hope we get them all."

Sign Hall before free agency starts?
"I don't think it will be. To be honest with you, I don't think it will be. But, again, I'm not in that. It could. I'm not, on a daily basis, trying to check to see where we are. I think there's a pace [at which] that's taking place. All parties, they have to come together at the right time."

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 19, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

{4th's note: Did anyone know this below?}

Will Kelly's knee always be a concern?
"I think it will be a concern in training camp to not overdo it because training camp is such a grind. The other concern for Malcolm is, he's got to play so he can get the feel for the speed and the nature of the game, the violence of the game. It's kind of a Catch-22: We've got to get him out there. But it's hard to risk him too much in preseason. I'm trying to decide how that's going to happen. Some of it will be decided upon how his knee reacts, and we're just going to try to be smart with it."

That was an arthroscopic procedure?
"It was an arthroscopic procedure, but it was something that we had to do.... It was a procedure more than just a clean-out. But I will say this: There was an expectation that there was going to be more done, and there wasn't as much done. So it wasn't as extensive as we thought the surgery might have to be, so we're really excited about that."

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 19, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

{4th's note: Did anyone know this below?}

Will Kelly's knee always be a concern?
============================================
D00d is a young guy with papier-mâché knees.

Yeah, we know that now.

Too bad Vinnie didn't before he drafted him.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | February 19, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

No one said he was going to undergo further knee surgery. And Zorn said it wasn't as 'extensive' as they 1st thought it was gonna be.

Wow. Another offseason out the door for him. Just IR him for the year and try again........

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 19, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

My sources tell me they spotted Jason and Vinnie dining together at the Indy Morton's............just kidding.

My beloved Skins will continue to be mired in extreme mediocrity until Snyd's hires a real football guy to run the team. All this banter is pointless until we have a GM. VC is a complete joke and JLC is the only one who calls him out.

Posted by: StreetAgent | February 19, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

VINSANITY

Please bring us to our SANITY

PS- How does he sleep at night stealing that money from Snyde's? What a loser

Posted by: StreetAgent | February 20, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

+++Post pays me in the mid 40-s to keep the blog moving, and from the quantity of your output I'm figuring you're taking in something north of 50. Keep it up -- you've been an inspiration to many of us.

Posted by: talent_evaluator +++

First of all T_E, it's quality not quantity the Post pays for. This is why I pull down mid six figures. Of course part of that goes for being point man taking on the attack dogs from Redskin park who post here and attack the little twerp.

But in this economy, you take your money where you find it and swallow hard.

Posted by: TheCork | February 20, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

That's an easy one Moe. They franchised cassel as insurance against Brady's Knee not healing, and, because once franchised, they can trade him to another team if Brady is healthy, rather than see him slip away as an FA. That's smart FO.

But to cpmpete with Brady? Not in THIS universe.

The skins are ina quandry about campbell. If they DON'T re-up him and he has a superb year, two things happen, bother bad. His price rises exponentiallty or he gets ina snit and leaves.

If they sign him and he stinks--well it's more wasted money down the sewer.

Posted by: TheCork | February 20, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

All-Pro cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha re-signed with the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, agreeing to a three-year, $45.3 million contract, the highest salary in NFL history for a defensive back.

Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in the first two years of the contract. The Raiders have an option for a third year in 2011, which would be worth either $16.8 million or the amount of the quarterback franchise tag, whichever is greater.

****

Opposing teams got something like 200 yards throwing at Nnamdi ... for the whole season!!! And usually, he was man coverage. That's what you call a shut down corner.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 20, 2009 4:08 AM | Report abuse

brutus2: :"Precisely why we need to revamp the o-line."

I'm told teams should expect to revamp the offensive line twice a decade. If you wait longer than that, you're tempting fate anyway.

Baltimore Ravens replaced their line over three or four drafts. Some luck involved; o linemen have a tendency to get hurt.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 5:19 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, that should be once a decade (to revamp your offensive line)

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 5:21 AM | Report abuse

ESPN are reporting that the Dolphins won't be using the franchise tag on anyone and that the Bears are interested in taking Miami's RT Vernon Carey. I know he can play both sides (he was LT until Miami drafted Jake Long) and the article says he has played G before.

Is this a guy we should be in for? He'd be an upgrade over Jansen and Heyer, as well as cover for Daniels or anywhere else across the OL.

Reading the combine articles, I think the 'Skins will trade down, no matter who is available at the 13th pick. Zorn I think is playing kidology with Hall, Kendall, Taylor and their agents, trying to get the price down.

Whatever, trade down from the 13th pick and draft five linemen, please!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | February 20, 2009 5:51 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I meant cover for Chris Samuels, not Philip Daniels.

D'oh!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | February 20, 2009 5:54 AM | Report abuse

stevebeagrie: "I also have a feeling that the Danny really wants Haynesworth now. If he could play in a 4-3 with a healthy Griffin, our DEs would get a heck of a lot of chances to use their speed and maybe the 'Skins don't have to rely on the DB blitz."

Haynesworth is a terrific talent, but I'd be suspicious of last year's performance -- contract year jumps are a bit like jailhouse conversions. Give Albert a long-term contract and we could see a fall-off.

Of course, if the Skins could identify a very talented DL coming off a poor year and looking to restore his value for another long-term contract... well, that's a decent gamble.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

By the way, same goes for DeAngelo Hall. Big talent, big questions about motivation. Leaving the Raiders he had something to prove, but if he gets his money now, I wonder what will happen to his drive.

Can't help but notice the number of folks racking Tryon up as a bust. Seems premature to me. He's short, sure, but did quite well against all those pro sets and big wide receivers in the Pac 10. Plus he's legitimately fast. He'll never be Darrell Green, but he could be a useful nickel and dime back. Give him another camp before you shove him off the Dupont Circle platform.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 7:52 AM | Report abuse

cork

The further the point about always having a player around to challenge a starter at all positions, consider the cards and titans.

So explain, better, why the skins shouldn't bring in a real challenger to Jason Campbell as he's yet to show anyone he has, as the young'ns say, 'got this'?

During the skins fall from 6-2, Moe blogged that maybe the best thing to do was to sit Campbell for a week or two, and let T Collins takeover.

The iggles did it with McNabb, and the guy bounced back from the break with a vengence.

The worst thing that could've happen to Collins was the stuff that was already happening to Campbell-- getting hit a lot and the bad throws.

However, if Collins' quicker decision making plus better accuracy gets the Skins yards and touchdowns, the team has hope.

A challenger to Campbell won't hurt. Not having a challenger to Campbell might.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 20, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

You guys need to relax, just because Zorn says something to the media does not mean it will happen.

What did you expect him to say when asked about Taylor, oh that guy sucks we are definately not bringing him back. A coach or GM is never going to tell the media there exact plain that would be stupid.

On the O-Line question about overhauling it, did you expect him to say we need to get rid of all those old bums.

Lets see what they do and then we can all second guess and criticize.

You never take a GM or Coach at his word, they could change there mine at anytime depending on the circumstances that arise.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 20, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

This is why I pull down mid six figures...But in this economy, you take your money where you find it and swallow hard.

Posted by: TheCork | February 20, 2009 12:10 AM

That's what I've heard about your line of work, Cork -- that you can earn more at your job it you're willing to swallow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 20, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

GET CAREY GET CAREY GET CAREY!!!!

NO TO HAYNESWORTH!!!

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 20, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

...............

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 20, 2009 7:54 AM

Flound - U know Zorn isn't good on CoachSpeak and is often honest to a fault as an NFL HC.

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 20, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"Both teams drafted the 'franchise' quarterbacks--V Young, M Leinhart-- while also bringing in K Warner and K Collins are insurance.

The result: both teams let their 'franchise' guy sit once the wily old vet came in and showed them how it's done."

"A challenger to Campbell won't hurt. Not having a challenger to Campbell might."

First, insurance isn't the same as a challenger. Young got hurt. That's the only reason Collins played. And the only reason he kept the job is because of the extraordinary circumstances of how well the team was performing, ending up with the best record in football (keep in mind 2 things: they hadn't lost under Young that season and he had led them to a playoff appearance the past year, and that Kerry Collins wasn't actually playing that well, just that the Titans didn't want to change anything because they were winning).

And in both cases, for Leinart and Young, both guys are effectively done with their teams. Young and Leinart will not be the future quarterbacks of either franchise. So yes, a challenger to Campbell very well could hurt, as is the case with a vast majority of quarterback competitions. Hell, even Kurt Warner lost a QB competition -- twice (to Bulger and Manning). Chad Pennington, the runner-up for the MVP last year, lost to Kellen Clemens (really? Kellen Clemens?). Brad Johnson lost a QB competition with the Redskins, then left the team and went on to win a Super Bowl with the Bucs. A QB competition almost ALWAYS hurts the incumbent. The only one to succeed in recent years, Drew Brees, ended up leaving his team, and is now an even better quarterback than he was in San Diego.

Unless Campbell shows that he is REALLY bad, or if the Redskins have a true stud up-and-coming, there's absolutely no reason to bring in a "challenger" in a competition. All it will serve to do is hurt Campbell. It always does for the incumbent.

Posted by: psps23 | February 20, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 20, 2009 8:34 AM |

And Vinny is the exact opposite. Between the two, on average, you have a perfectly honest man.

They may have sent Zorn to Coachspeak classes in January as part of his Management Improvement Program.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 20, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 20, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

'...that you can earn more at your job if you're willing to swallow...'

Gentlemen, the language employed by the both of you makes it hard for anyone to concentrate on the issue kneeling down before them.

(INERT image of Jessica Simpson looking looking up and asking, "Are you sure you're Tony Romo?"

Therefore, we hope you follow our rigid guidelines regarding language that just spurts out all over the place.

After all, spilling the seed of vile commentary will only create and even more sticky situation for us all.

We hope our prophylatic measures withhold any evidence of your stress relieving bloggery.

Remember: this blog is not some intern's blue dress.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 20, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"Last time I checked JC was a competitive pro-athlete with no contract extension. He has all the motivation he needs.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

Thank you. That's all I was trying to say in my earlier posts.

A contract year is more than enough pressure to put on a guy to perform. If he can't perform when his entire future is on the line, bringing in a guy to attempt to take his job (and in the process taking half his practice reps, which is no small thing) certainly won't help.

Posted by: psps23 | February 20, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 20, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Didn't we have JC learn from Mark "wait for it" Brunell for a good two years?
But even that doesn't really count because it was a different system.
Collins was a good QB in Saunder's system not the WCO. He was not good in the times we saw him play in preseason. Also when a team has a young "franchise" QB they bring in a vet as insurance if he doesn't pan out, not as a motivating factor.

Give JC a break. Do you think he doesn't realize his career is resting on this next season? If he doesn't perform he doesn't get paid by us or by anyone.
I agree with a previous poster who said that if we take snaps away from him it will do more harm than good. Lets give the kid one more chance with all the tools he needs to succeed, an Oline that doesn't crumble after eight games, wide recievers that actually produce, and another year in a system with a great teaching coach. If he doesn't show imporvement then I agree its probably time to go in a different direction.

Posted by: BostonWarPath | February 20, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Yoder-lay-hee-who and psps23,
you guys beat me to the punch...

Posted by: BostonWarPath | February 20, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

To me, it's not rocket science. JC isn't a gamebreaker at this point, but he can make some plays when he has help around him. The 6-2 start last year was because of a healthy line and Portis helping along a new offense. When those pieces broke down, so did the offense. Only time and experience will elevate JC's game into compensating for less than stellar play out of the line. Being in an offense for more than 1 year should help him be able to anticipate where receivers should be etc. Here's hoping he improves, along with the entire offense.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 20, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Rypien 11's wet dream of the day:

We sign 2 FAs: Jason Brown and Vernon Carey.

We trade our 1st and 3rd rounders for 3 2nd rounders, and pick up Duke Robinson, a DT, and an OLB.

Thats FIVE NEW LINEMAN who would be an improvement over what we had last year.

A man can dream, can't he?

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 20, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Norv is the Al Gore of the NFL

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 20, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm totally, 100% against trading back, unless Vinny somehow manages to swindle more picks out of another team (which he did NOT do last season). Trading back for the sake of trading back, like we did last year, is not a good thing. Unless he can pick up an extra 1st or 2nd round pick (a future pick would be fine too), this team should take whoever is the best available at either o-line or d-line with the 13th pick, give themselves the best chance at landing a true player, and live with the fact that there won't be an abundance of bodies being added to the roster.

I don't want to see another year of trading 3 draft picks for 3 draft picks, only with the other team grabbing the highest overall selection.

Posted by: psps23 | February 20, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

'...Give JC a break...'

Why?

Let me be corny: Pressure over an extended time is what makes coal turn into a diamond.

But some weight on the brother before deciding if he's the real thing.

And we'll still be looking for a qb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 20, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"If there's no one looking over his shoulder, the foot-kicking, "Aw shucks, I have to learn not to do that...." southern thing will get old real fast."

Just because he talks slow, doesn't mean he is slow. Every potential starting QB, whether it be a free-agent or college player is looking over his back. His contract has not been extended...it's 10 times better than what you suggest, because it tells JC "Step up your game or we'll find someone else" without taking away practice reps that would actually allow him to do so.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 20, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

without taking away practice reps that would actually allow him to do so.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who |

That is the key point I think. The skins need to give him all the resources to succeed or fail. Once they do that, JC's play will determine the next steps taken.

Posted by: TWISI | February 20, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | February 20, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 20, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

It can't be worded any better than that

Posted by: BostonWarPath | February 20, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

__________________________________________
And I call my back side "Portis". I thought it appropriate, since Clinton spends so much time back there.

Posted by: tripz | February 20, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brutus2 | February 19, 2009 6:02 PM |

Then we're stuck, yet again, with the dreaded "Redskins QB lights up the league in final year of contract (see Rypien, Frerotte, etc.) only to stink up the joint after signing a new, multi-year contract" curse. As the Cylons are fond of saying, "This has all happened before...it will happen again".

Posted by: tripz | February 20, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse