Zorn as Most Excellent Commencement Speaker

Dan Steinberg, in his quest to learn everything there is to know about Jim Zorn, has obtained audio tapes of his 1979 Cal Poly Pomona commencement addresses (an address so nice he had to give it twice).

This should be enough to send you to the Bog, pronto:

As a speaker, Zorn was unmistakably Zorn. He made sound effects. He showed off parts of his wardrobe. He made self-deprecating jokes. He pulled off repeated aw-shucks laugh lines, and used words like "stud" and "neat" and "super!"

By Cindy Boren  |  January 29, 2009; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis and Riggo Meet the Press
Next: Clark and No. 21 at the Super Bowl

Comments

"OMG!!!!!!! WTF!?!?!?!?! So, his five 100+ yard games meant nothing to them winning games? I don't know who's worse you, or Dickey Cranium in terms of you hate for Portis.

He's the RB get over it, and if you have tme get over yourself. Good GOD!!!!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009"

Hmmmm, let's see, another imbecile.

last to just before the bye against Pittsburgh:

SF 29 carr. 80 yds 2.8 yds/carr. 1 TD 1 fumbl
PHI 22 carr. 70 yds 3.2 yds/carr. 1 TD
CIN 25 carr. 77 yds 3.1 yds/carr. 0 TD
BAL 11 carr. 32 yds 2.9 yds/carr. 0 TD 1 fumbl
NYG 11 carr. 22 yds 2.0 yds/carr. 0 TD
SEA 29 carr. 143 yds 4.9 yds/carr 0 TD
DAL 15 carr. 68 yds 4.5 yds/carr 0 TD
PIT 13 carr. 51 yds 3.9 yds/carr. 0 TD

So, there was ONLY ONE GAME where he exceed 100 yards in the last 8 games. He scored ONLY 2 TDs in the last 8 games. He lost 2 fumbles.

543 yards on 145 carries for a 3.7 yds/carr. average. Longest run was 22 yards against Pittsburgh.

That is far, far less than mediocre. Like Jason Taylor he definitely DID NOT earn his exorbitant salary. He was terrible!!! in the second half. And he should not completely blame the OL as he did have that 143 yard game against Seattle.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

You get these Old Super Bowl guys in Tampa and, like a lot of ex-players, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothings replaced them…And they fell through the Clinton era, and each has said that somehow these guys are just history. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or drinking or annger to people who aren't like them and express a sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I got a cool new friend on Facebook.

Some of you know who I am talking about.

Others, not so much.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is the nerdiest head coach in the NFL.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 29, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Alex, let it go. The election is over. The inaugural speech has been given. The remmants of January 20 have been removed from the mall. 2012 will be here before you know it.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 29, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Doh! "remnants." Always preview.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 29, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 1:22 PM

"senial"? "I SAID THE IT"? Man, Red, you've lost it. You don't have any recollection of what I said, do you Red?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 29, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

periculum

Great. I love stats....ok looks like from your stats the last 8 games he played like some shi.. right?

Yes I agree. Clinton portis played bad the last 8 games. I can see the stats...

....but the funny thing is he finished 4 in the NFL....wow

then how bad were the other RB's?

Do we put into account how many carries or QB play or the top 2 defenses he played during that strech. (no one got over 70 and some yards over stelers and b-more)

My thing is yes lets lower his carries and get rock and betts some. Fine but to get rid of him? NO

Picture this.

A good line. and he dosen't play bad the last 8 games?

But reality is he had a bad line and played bad the last 8. Yes and don't stop there.

He finished 4th in the NFL in rushing.

So this concludes that Clinton Portis is the problem?

I don't get it.
I really want to understand where you are coming from. Think about how the other teams feel. They did not have a RB ranked 4th in rushing.

Posted by: 1skinfan | January 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

++++In OVERTIME, Patrick says to Todd Blackledge "I've got an
important question."

Blackledge: "Go ahead."

Patrick: "What's Britney doing with her life?"

Blackledge: "Who?"

Patrick: "Britney."

Blackledge: "Britney who?"

Patrick: "Britney Spears. What's she doing with her career?"

Blackledge: "Why do we care at this point? Is she here?"

Ball is snapped immediately following this exchange and Georgia scores WINNING TD --- again in OVERTIME.++++

I used to work at the same station with Patrick when he was third string sportscaster at Channel Seven a few decades back. He’s funny, he’s cool, and a pretty good golfer. A Helluva guy.

I can see where most sports fans were befuddled by the comment, but on a bigger level, zen existentially speaking, it was so absurdly hilarious at so many levels it should go in the Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

And what makes it so is the fact that Brittney Spears, like her fellow no-talent kissing partner, Madonna, is famous, remains famous and will always be famous for being famous.

You want something to get POed about, how about the fact that EVERONE being interviewed at the Sprbowl who aren’ Arizona or Pitt players and coaches as pimping some sponsor every time their on the air.

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

This is Washington. Stoping the politics, especally when used as humor, well you may want to just move somewhere else.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

++++Hey, red/rich, can you guys take the insults off line or something.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 29, 2009 11:17 AM

“Irony is a disciplinarian feared only by those who do not know it, but cherished by those who do.”

- Kierkegaard

Posted by: learnedhand1++++

First: Beans is a fine one to suggest ANYONE take their insults off line.

Second: you probably mollified him by quoting a guy he suspects should be in the NFL Hall of fame.

Third: You're causing trouble because now Vinny will see how many picks he has to give up to get that Kirkiegaard guy.

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Great Article and One more reason why you should root for the Cards.

Another reason to root for the Cards is that they'll make you alot of mooooney........

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 29, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

thanks Alex ... and remember that thing about the toilet seat.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

peri

Posted by: periculum

I think the most damage Portis does is off the field in the sense that his need to be 'the man' puts the offense in a very awkward positions:

--he has to have the ball even when the team should give Betts or Rock some carries to rest him (again: had the skins made the playoffs, Portis wouldn't have been healthy to be effective.)

--he has to play when hurt, even though healing and chilling would be better for the long term.

--Zorn seemed to force the ball to him in order to avoid a confrontation about his not having carries.

--he doesn't have break away speed anymore

Don't get me wrong, I like Portis. But whoever decided to give him the massive contract he has didn't think it would make him out to be the monster he has become.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"Zorn is the nerdiest head coach in the NFL.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | January 29, 2009"

Might not be a bad thing when all is said and done.

~smiles~

So, Zorn Cal-Poly Pomona, Madden Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm Outlaw Pete - can you hear me?

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis, last 8 games === Benny Malone.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alex, I really don't care if people talk politics here but you're the guy that once scolded me about it. Since I am aware of your political point of view, I didn't take your use of that "quote" as humor. My bad.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This stuff was kind of cool when they were 6-2. Now, not so much.
And what's up with the either/or on the whole Portis V Riggins thing?
Isn't it possible that Riggins is an annoying blowhard and Portis is a cancer?
Don't see why we have to side with one over the other.

Posted by: mack1 | January 29, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

My girl thanks you.:) She meantioned it to me when she got home.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"--he does blitz pick up well, but the hands that catch the ball on screens and check down that Betts has better serves the team.
Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009"

And that my friend is the most important observation of all, particularly in the NFC East, particularly given the injuries and age along the OL. Even with a newer OL that could be critical.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Do as I say hand... or else

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Do we put into account how many carries or QB play or the top 2 defenses he played during that stretch. (no one got over 70 and some yards over steelers and b-more)"

But Cincinnati and SF were also in the mix. As well as Philly, the Giants, and Dallas. In a way he did better against Pittsburgh with that longest 22 yard run.

Instead let's look at how many times our QB had the run the ball to rescue the team?
From the Pittsburgh game:

1 carr. 22 yds. 22 yds/carr
6 carr. 32 yds. 5.3 yds/carr
5 carr. 38 yds. 7.6 yds/carr
2 carr 11 yds. 5.5 yds/carr
2 carr 21 yds. 10.5 yds/carr
2 carr 28 yds. 14 yds/carr
4 carr 39 yds. 9.8 yds/carr.

Betts should have been used more instead of Campbell I think. At the very least perhaps he would have caught some screens instead of Jason scrambling? Or worst getting sacked.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 29, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Periculum. 1 question. Are you high?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

"Kinda resigned to thinking that 2009 is a lost year for this team and Danny makes a clean break in 2010, when he goes after Cowher (or Shanahan). That, plus the labor agreement blows up, so all his cap issues and foolish contract extensions problems disappear.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009"

Yes, its a sad state of affairs when the owners of the both the Redskins and Nationals now seem less than competent joining Abe Pollin as perennial losers.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Cork

I like Patrick, too.

What I hate is that the ESPN Monday Night Football crew got the 'dog' games.

I don't get how you buy the Sunday Ticket, then, at mid-season, you don't get as many quality games on Sunday afternoon and the Monday night game blows like a White House intern.

But I digress...

...'cause I'll go back into hating on NBC and the sorry early '90s-style broadcast they put on for some Sunday night game loaded with marquee players on bad teams.

Mike Patrick and Jaworski are great.

But Kornheiser should just do PTI and his column. I think PTI should be and hourlong show, and I'd like to hear him and Wilbon yak about things outside of sports...

...'cause sometimes the digression is interesting....

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"Periculum. 1 question. Are you high?

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009"

Are you?

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it possible that Riggins is an annoying blowhard and Portis is a cancer? Don't see why we have to side with one over the other.

Posted by: mack1 | January 29, 2009"

Agreed.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Are you?

Posted by: periculum

I dont get off work for another hour.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Can anybody find the aforementioned audio clips that are posted over at the Steinbog?

I tried both browsers, but got nothin.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

mack1

I think--AND HOPE--Portis will spend some time talking to his UM Homie Edgerin James and come to realize that longevity in the NFL is what comes about when you're willing to the offense with other players.

In different interviews, James says he understood the need for the cards to throw the ball at the expense of his getting yardage as there were other weapons--Boldin, Fitzgerald-- for a defense to deal with.

Now, he comes to the super bowl on healthy legs and is just as much a weapon as the cards could employ the running game with the passing game against the stillers.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that either of them would work for DS.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz

I can't see Cowher taking a game plan down to Danny's office for Danny's review. Shanahan, maybe.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

mack1

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 4:01 PM

Agree with this 100% - No hating, no negativity. Just wishful logic.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 29, 2009 4:01 PM

You know, if Hillary Clinton would work for Barack Obama, Shanahan or Cowher would work for Snyder.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 29, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Give me a football "diva" over a Head Coach "media darling" any day.

At least the diva will produce.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Edge realizes his best yeas are behind him and is content play a limited role in a pass first offense. I don't think Portis has had that epiphany yet. And just because I think he's lost his burst and comes across as a spoiled pain in the ass, doesn't mean I don't respect his all-out style of play and amazing blocking.

Posted by: mack1 | January 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Give me a taco.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

mack, your entire 4:33 can be summed up in one word: Realness.

You speak the truth.

"spoiled pain in the ass" - he is, without question. But I just find it sad that people who have an agenda against the guy would rather pretend that he isn't producing/has produced during his time in D.C.

People keep citing the fact that Riggins won a super bowl ring, how does that make him better than Portis? I guess Riggins won those all by his lonesome, one on eleven, huh?

Anyway, I'm done on this subject for the day. Clinton Portis is the RB for your Washington Redskins. Deal with it, or find another team to root for, becasue I guarantee he will put up the numbers AGAIN - like he has entire career.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

give me a dutch and three shots of vodka

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Give me, 12 African-Russians, a dutchmen three shots of vodka, a taco and chris cooleys latest painting.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Does Zorn?

Posted by: Devo2 | January 29, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

ON the Draft...

These are some late round sleepers I want to see in Burgundy and Gold.

To start, here is the D line-

Pannel Egboh | DE Stanford (6-5 3/4, 275)
5-6 Round
"Displays above-average strength and toughness. Can control blockers with long arms and strong hands. A relentless pass rusher. Displays a good combination of speed and power. Quick enough to turn the corner and shows good closing speed." Very raw and needs time to develope instincts necessary to be a 3 down Lineman, but is a great pass rusher and has shown ability to defend the run. He has the frame to be the 285 pound speed/bull rusher we crave.

Kyle Moore | DE USC (6-5 1/4, 263)
4th-5th Round
"Enough room on frame to add bulk and runs extremely well for size. Sound overall strength, as he is stout on the edge. Can turn the corner with speed and power. Also shows adequate closing speed when gets a clear path to the quarterback. Does an adequate job of sinking hips and can set the edge. Uses hands along with long arms to create separation from blockers and can shed blocks quickly." If we have the patience to develope him, he, just like Egboh, can become a Combo speed/strength pass rusher who is very stout vs the run.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Alex Magee | DT Purdue (6-2 1/2, 296)
3rd-4th round
"Very good height and speed but needs to add bulk to his frame. A natural athlete who is nimble and shows great suddenness. Changes directions well and can cover a lot of ground in pursuit. Gives tremendous effort and plays to the echo of the whistle. Finds the ball quickly.elentless pass rusher. Possesses the closing speed to get to quarterback quickly. Get under offensive linemen's pads and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Beats blockers to the point of contact with quick first step. Displays active hands and can shed blocks in time to make the play." He's a very good prospect but is overshadowed by Rajji and Jerry and Moala. He needs to get a little bit bigger, and he's not as refined as the others, but as you can see, he's got potential and i think we should def take a look at him in the third. He has the talent to be the pocket collapsing presence we need on this Defense, and he's pretty stout vs the run.

Vance Walker | DT GA Tech (6-2, 298).
Late 3rd-4 round
"Walker started all 13 games of the 2007 season finishing with 45 total tackles, 30 unassisted tackles, 14 tackles-for-loss, 8.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Plays with a mean streak and shows above-average upper body strength. Shows above-average lower body strength and appears to take pride in holding his ground. Powerful bull rusher that gets under blockers' pads, drives legs and collapses the pocket." He has only average speed, but he is a run stuffer and can drive as a pass rusher. He's probably going to drop in the draft because he doesnt have great measurables (speed, height, room on his frame) but he obviously produces and is a high intensity player. You know what you will get with this guy, and he will be a solid starter for any team, but he doesnt have to potential to be a beast like Haynesworth, but does have game changing abilities (sack and turnovers).

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunatley, theres not much at linebacker in the 4th round on so we would have to look at that spot earlier, but in my opinion we need to adress linebacker through FA, Karlos Dansby and Jon Vilma are my top two but Channing Crowder and Mike Peterson are also very good and would be relatively cheap.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Dannell Ellerbe | ILB Georgia (6-1 236)
5th-6th
He is a gamble because he had some off the field issues (Auto Accident + Alcohol charges in 2006) but he seems to have gotten over it and has been good the past two seasons. Excelent Athlete, Instinctive and reads keys well. Very strong tackler, and is very aware in coverage. Excelent closing speed on blitzes. We could pick this guy up in the late rounds and let Fletch groom him for 2 years, teach him how to be a pro, and he could be a very good linebacker.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

+++cork, yeah, its me. I should want to hear how red is licking someone's wife's "taint" and how rich wants red to clean his "balls"......I'm in the wrong for not wanting to read that crap..good call......

Posted by: BeantownGreg+++

That’s what SHE said.

Look you humor-challenged hypocrite, you don’t like it? Report the dude. But since you are a constant insulter yourself, whining that someone has upset your sensibility is ridiculous.

So don’t get all self-righteous and huffy with us—we know what you are.

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm Outlaw Pete - can you hear me?

Posted by: Rypien11

The Boss can still show them young punks a thing or two.

Posted by: TheCork | January 29, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Does Zorn?

Posted by: Devo2 |

Yes. I recall reading an article at one point where he said something to that effect.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Now to the O-line. Heres hoping we adress this early with a stud tackle, or maybe even trade down late 1st for an extra second and draft a solid guard/center guy, then use the 2nd round choice on a d-line or another o line.

Alex Mack | OC Cal (6-3 6/8, 310)
Late 1st-Early 2nd
"Possesses outstanding size and shows above-average speed for the position. Displays a strong punch and can jolt defenders. Has a mean streak and works from the snap until the whistle on every play. Shows above-average lower body strength. Moves well in open space and can get out on the edge on screens. Keeps head on a swivel and is able to recognize/adjust to line stunts as well as blitzes quickly." Mack is the real deal, and he will be the anchor of some O-line for 10 years, he is an excelent pass blocker and a powerfull run blocker, very good at making calls and shifts, and has the awareness and leadership skills to hold a unit together. CAN PLAY GUARD for a year or two until he is needed at Center.

Max Unger | OC Oregon (6-4, 311)
2nd- very early 3rd round
"Great frame for Center, Possesses a strong lower body and the upper body strength to lock on and control defenders. Fights to the whistle and is a finisher. Limited athlete but masks weaknesses with technique. Shows a quick first step and takes solid angles. Plays under control. A very intelligent player. Has played both tackle and center position." He's a solid run blocker who can drive and hold ground, pass protection is good but struggles against athletic players, but should not be an issue at Center. Can play tackle Center and Guard, but should be an interior lineman. He can fill in if need be though.

Eric Wood | OC Loisville (6-3 3/4, 304)
3rd round
"Wood has above-average range for a center with his size and the frame to get even bigger in time. Plays with a mean streak and stays in position once locked on. Lacks ideal lateral mobility. Does an outstanding job of selling screens. Keeps heads up but doesn't show ideal awareness in pass protection. Shows sound footwork and works hard to stay in front of defender but too mechanical and struggles to change directions quickly. Plays a bit high and gives too much ground to bull rushers.Fast enough to turn the corner when asked to pull and gets downfield quickly on screens but plays with a narrow base and loses balance at times. Rarely takes false steps." He is solid and would go later in the draft, but he doesnt have great athletic ability and would need to be coached up by Buges. Unlike the others, he probably couldn't come in and play right away.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't see us going for a center too high up

Posted by: alex35332 | January 29, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Because this draft is void of guards, we will either have to do that in FA or plug one of the centers in there if we want to replace Kendall/Thomas.
I think we should def get one in the 1st round if not Alex Mack, no matter where we pick. My dream draft would be to trade a 3rd next year, along with 13 for the Iggles 26 and a second. Then draft the best Tackle at 26, they cant all be gone, and trade up in the 2nd to get Wood. Then we have our tackles for 5 years and a center who will be a stud for years and could play guard for 2 years until Rabach Fizzles. That gives us a good young core of Mack, very good Tackle, Heyer who can step in for injury, Rhinehart (he cant be completely incompetent). We also have Samuels at Left or Right tackle for at least 4 years, Rabach can still play a bit longer and Kendall + Thomas. Our depth chart looks like this
LT LG C RG RT
Samuels- Kendall- Rabach - Thomas- New RT
Heyer Mack Mack Mack Heyer
Rhino Rhino

We have an Open competition for all the inerior spots, and we let the RT and Heyer go at it. Then we have two bookends with Heyer in case of injury, a very good center who can play guard. Then we can make a nice cheap FA signing to get some young talent at Guard and fill in with a few more draft pick. All of a sudden we have a very good line two years after a disaster, which will be good next year assuming 1 of the two aging guards can at least walk.

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 29, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse
T_E, for Hillary, Sec/State was a step up. That would be a step down for Shanny and Jaws.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 29, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

The Off-season plan (Version 3.0)

DB- Try to keep Springs (explained at bottom), have him as the 3rd safety behind Landry/Horton, and could situationally let Landry play closer to the line. Extend Hall, but keep some incentives in the contract so it is not as big of a cap hit and he doesn't slack. If it's allowed, Give Rogers a 1 year extension with an option for an extra 4 that we need to decide on by next Jan, that way he stays happy and we are basically were we are now but are guaranteed the option to lock him up. Then you have Springs, Rogers and Hall as the top 3, a very fluid depth chart depending on who is ballin the best. Youn could assign each player a certain WR who they match up well with, and just rotate them in and out as the recievers change (that way they could also focus on tendencies of WR and such, i notice Rogers played much better when given a specific task of shutting down a certain WR). Keep Tryon but hide him. Smoot is gone, unless we have the cap to keep him and release him going into the uncapped year.

LB- We have Fletcher and Mcintosh's knees at this point, with blades as a solid 4th LB. We need to focus on LB in FA, make it a priority to get at least one guy and draft one very late for Teams.

D Line- Right now we have Taylor, Carter, Evans, Wilson, Jackson, Griffin, Alexander, Montgomery and Golston. We keep taylor for 5 mil or less (Even if its only to spy Westbrook/Mcnabb, im willing to give up 5 million for two divisional wins). We Draft a DE or DT (there are 4 up top in one of my other posts at 5:16 PM) and one in the 5th. I would go with either Mcgee or Walker in the 3rd and Egboh with the next pick. You have to keep Carter, Evans is inexpendable, he is our best D-Lineman, Monty and Golston and Lorenzo stay but no more griff and whichever two are better in camp between Jackson and Wilson and Egboh. Then you have (Evans) (Monty/Golston/Rookie) (Taylor/Carter with the other a 3rd down guy. The Nickel package consists of Taylor Carter Egboh and Wilson/Jackson at end and Evans/Rookie DT/ Alexander. Everybody stays fresh and there is alot of speed there, could be dangerous.

Offense and Cap re-working follows

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Offense

Adress the O-line- Trade back for a late 1st and an early second, no matter if we need to give up a 3rd next year, it needs to be done. Draft Mack (C/G) and best Tackle available and we have the core for a very good line.

WR- hope that Thomas and Kelly are at Redskins Park working with Campbell and learning the rules of football. Sign Bobby Engram cheap as insurance and mentor. Moss and Randle-El should suffice as long as we get some production from 1 of the 3 young pass catchers, Engram is a good option as well.

RB- Maybe look to replace Betts with somebody faster. Could possibly trade Betts for mid-round pick. Force Portis to work out, even pay him an extra million to be here in the off-season. We need to start thinking about a future replacement for Sellers, if he goes down we are in trouble and he is aging (i bet he could prob play forever but we need to be sure).

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am starting the "draft Alex Mack" campaign. Dude can step in right away to take over for Randy Thomas at guard (who has majorly slipped, IMO) and eventually replace Rabach. Keep Kendall on the cheap and continue to develop Rinehart; maybe draft another guard to develop, and try to land Jordan Gross in FA to anchor the line.

Just saying.

I like the thought of Samuels, Kendall, Rabach, Mack, and Gross, with Heyer, Rhino, Thomas, and Jansen in the wings.

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 29, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and check out http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=24663&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d24663

At 13, this guy sounds like a good fit given our needs on the O-Line. His versatility is huge, like Casey Rabach's package.

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 29, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Work with the Cap

Assuming we trade down and end up with 5 picks and possible compensatories, we would need about 3 Million in cap based on this past years draft and their rounds.

Right now the Redskins are about 5 million over the cap, thats what i heard but check on it anyway. To be able to make a run at a good linebacker and sign their picks they would need about 8 million in cap space for next year. Figure in that we need to sign Hall, Evans, Golston/Monty (both are restricted FA though), maybe kendall, its a bit more.

Springs counts 8.4 Mil against the cap this year (6 base, 2.4 Bonus). We cut the base salary to 2 mil, but restructure his contract to give him an extra year in 2010 (uncapped year) and give him that 4 mil guaranteed part of a 2 Mil base and 6 Mil guaranteed assuming there is no cap. We would save 4 million off of this years cap, and he gets and extra 4 million which he wont make next year.

Samuels is a core redskins and we will prob restructure him to save around 2 Mil

We save 2.5 Mil by cutting smoot

We would either save 8 mil or 4 mil depending on what we do with Taylor.

We save 2 mil by cutting Daniels

4.2 mil from cutting Griff

We can restructure Thomas and move some of his 5 mil Base salary into a bonus counting against the non-existant cap in 2010. This could save us 3 Mil

You save 4.5 Million by cutting Washington

Randle El costs 6.2 Mil vs the cap so he needs to be re-done and hopefully save us 2 mil off a 4 mil base

We can cut thrash and replace him with Engram no change there.

Portis costs 12 Mil vs the cap next year, alot of which will be pushed back to 2010, we can count on at least 5 mil savings.

We could save up to 30 million on the cap, i doubt that we will use all of it but we have plenty of room to manuever and make one or two solid signings.

What we should do however is take all the cap room left over this year at the beginning of training camp and accelerate bonuses and base salary of some player putting it on the books for this year and saving for the future. We had 4 million free this year that just went to waste when we could have invested in the future

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

TDAWG-
We can easily get Mack way down the board at 26. If we trade down and grab a second, we could also draft a Tackle and kill two birds with one stone.

Im starting a campaign to make me the GM

Posted by: DaFunBunch | January 29, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

TDawg, I don't know much about that guy, but 13 seems a little young, doesn't it?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 29, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

DaFun -- no to trading down. You find studs around the number 13 pick. Otherwise, I agree with much of what you are wanting to do.

Guessing that 2009 is predicated on Danny's thinking that 2010 is uncapped -- and that big name coaches will be available in 2010 (Cowher, Holmgren, Gruden, Shanahan).

If you could read Danny's mind, I'll bet he expects to fire Vinny and Zorn after 2009 and hire one of the 'names' to run the show.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 *******

Dude,

don't even watch the draft then, or the whole free agency period. I think this is a bit premature.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | January 29, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am starting the "draft Alex Mack" campaign.
...
Posted by: TDawg1 | January 29, 2009 6:53 PM
============================================
I think I'm way ahead of you there.

P.S. DaFunBunch, Mack improved his stock at the Senior Bowl.

I'm seeing mocks that have him moving up to 21, and such as.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 29, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

My overall belief is that the salary cap is good for football and its in most everyone's best interests to retain it as apart of a new bargaining agreement.

The players deserve the money. I do think some relief is due the owners on rookie contracts. Too much money is getting paid to question marks.

That said, I think Danny has no interest in a cap. Its been a (self-made) problem for this franchise and I suspect he won't be anxious to get a deal done with the players if he doesn't get some cap relief.

Its a rotten strategy for football fans. But Danny is a rotten owner.

Expect a bunch of contract reworking, pushing high $$ years into 2010, by teams with little cap room. 2009 offseason is going to be interesting because of it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"Alex Mack | OC Cal (6-3 6/8, 310)
Late 1st-Early 2nd
"Possesses outstanding size and shows above-average speed for the position."

If they draft this guy, and that would BE A VERY GOOD THING, there is no way he doesn't start at center straight away. Especially given the problems they have had with some of the nose tackles in the 3-4.

But you still need a tackle and a guard. Two tackles and two guards would be even better. It seems more than likely that Rhinehart is a failure playing either position. You would now suddenly have a better than average backup center possibly guard if Mack starts at center.

Unfortunately, this is where trading Rogers begins to look attractive if they sign Hall. To get higher picks.

The problem is that Vinnie is making the selections. He needs help to do this right. And they have to do it right this year.

here's what it looks like:

LT LG Center RG RT
1st rd, FA? ? Mack Thomas Samuels
Heyer ? Rabach ? Jansen

You put the younger, stronger guys on the left side and at center. Move the older declining veterans to the right.

You need a left tackle, Mack and 2 guards since Rhinehart is currently considered a failure. Rabach could be the backup guard and center, so then you would only need 1 guard, the left tackle, and Mack.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 3:43 PM

Agreed that Kornheiser should get out of the booth and stick to PTI and writing columns. But PTI for an hour is a BAAAAD idea. I love the Geico caveman commercials when they're 30 seconds; when I saw an entire 30 MINUTE SHOW, turning the channel wasn't enough: I wanted to commit violent crimes against my television. As much as I love PTI, a full hour of that show would grate on my nerves.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 29, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

"Dannell Ellerbe | ILB Georgia (6-1 236)
5th-6th"

They need to forget these guys and concentrate on finding "sleepers" for the OL, OL and then more OL. Rhinehart flopped, just like the 2 guys they drafted in the late rounds when Gibbs was still here. That's THREE GUYS that could have been worked into the OL and weren't.

YOU NOW MUST REPLACE ALL THREE. You need that #1 LT, and Alex Mack or the next best center/guard after him. And you need at least 1 to 2 guard/tackles. If they move Samuels right, and have Jensen back him up they could wait on the additional tackle and concentrate on guard/center after they draft the #1 LT.

Find "sleepers" for the D among the undrafted perhaps ...

That's what I would do.

Fill the rest of the holes as best they can in FA. Start working to do a better job managing the salary cap so they are in a better position next year.

Remember they still have their own guys to sign, like Hall and Evans on the Defensive side of things. It won't be easy.

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

My overall belief is that the salary cap is good for football....

Posted by: zcezcest1

Actually, given the physical issues the players face later in life (read the recent NYTimes about Ted Johnson, for example), I don't think there should be sal cap in football or in any other sport.

Wall Street needs the sal cap.

NBA players don't live long, boxers die broke and alone and confused....

...NFL players spend three-four years in college getting some hot shot photogenic coach/university/sportsnetwork rich only to be told on the eve on their becoming professionals that they can only make but so much money.

How's that?

And the same people who cry, 'socialism' when Prez Obama wants to do something are the same ones who turnaround and then hypocritically say, 'Hey, regulate the amount of money footballers make, 'cuz the players should all make about the same."

The owners get rich--when was the last time a sports franschise was sold at a loss?

Where's the sal cap for clueless rich boy owners who waste money given to them via revenue sharing agreements and tv contracts?

Professional athletes point out there's no sal cap in the recording industry, hollywood, courtroom, and banking where dudes pocket tons of cash and nobody is crippled at age 45.

Like so many of the heroes whose jerseys we all buy and wear.....

Again: Wall Street needs the sal cap.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Nobody could argue with that.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 29, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

CUT WASHINGTON, SPRINGS, KENDALL, JANSEN, DANIELS, THRASH, AND THE KICKER. TRY TO TRADE PORTIS (YEAH RIGHT) OR BUY HIM OUT OF HIS CONTRACT LIKE THEY DID WITH LAVAR HARRINGTON SO HE CAN BE A FREE AGENT.

KEEP TAYLOR AND CARTER AND GRIFFIN FOR ANOTHER YEAR BECAUSE OUR DEFENSE WAS NOT THE PROBLEM AND YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIND ANY TOP DL AS FREE AGENTS.
THERE HAS TO BE A TOP OF THE LINE PASS RUSHING LB (LIKE A KEN HARVEY) OUT THERE. USE ALL DRAFT PICKS ON OL OR DL. DO NOT TRADE ANY PICKS NO MATTER WHAT. WE WILL PROBABLY BE 8-8 WITH THIS PLAN AGAIN BUT AT LEAST IN 09 WE COULD BE ON THE WAY UP AND HAVE A REAL PLAN FOR THE FUTURE!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | January 29, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

AMEN, AAAAAMEN, AAAAAMEN, AMEN, AMEN, AMEN
Hallelujah ...

Instead just like some of our more memorable flops they give them guaranteed bonuses ... sheesh.

"Again: Wall Street needs the sal cap.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009"

Posted by: periculum | January 29, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I love the Geico caveman commercials...

Posted by: brownwood26

Thank you, kind sir.

I'll kindly attach your comments to my Mark Carrier Redskins' jersey and walk with my head held high up in the air, knowing that somebody else out there recognizes lameness when they see it.

We cavemen will continue to support he redskins and all other extinct native peoples.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Mista ... I said the cap is good for the game.

The salary cap isn't about creating a suffocating upper limit on salaries. At its current number, its roughly $3.5 billion split among less than 2,000 people. Its big $$. The players deserve it.

What the cap does do is prevent 'rich' clubs from distorting the pay scale, resulting in the destruction of smaller market teams. When you look at baseball, teams like KC are never any good. The Orioles struggle to compete for a variety of reasons, but in part, its because the Yanks and Sox buy up all the top talent.

The salary cap increases the overall size of the pie -- which is in the player's interest. Miami, Baltimore and AZ are examples of how quickly a team can ascend ... which keeps season ticket holders in place during down years.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 9:00 PM
============================================
The Washington Redskins are an example of how quickly a team can spend...and yet keep season ticket holders down for many years.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 29, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 29, 2009 9:04 PM

..and keep losing...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

I'm just playing devil's advocate, bro'.

This blog is getting stale, what with all the beefing about the skins' FO, imaginary draft scenarios, and cracks about some dude's wife's 'taint'.

yukkkkkkkk!!!!!!

I just though I'd throw and lil' sumthin', sumthin out there for folks to rant about.

It never bothers me to have the opposite point of view.

I've had enough college courses in economics to understand the fiduciary ramifactions of an out of control payroll structure.

I also know if I was A-Rod's dad, I'd tell'm to take every dime left in the store.

There's no hard feelings here, bro.

I'm too cool a brotha to get pissed off at people in something as inconsequential as a blog.

Enjoy the evening and I wish you all the best!

Hail!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

..and keep losing...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2009 9:09 PM
==========================================
keep losing = keep season ticket holders down

(down = depressed, in my equation)
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 29, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Down but still chomping at the Burgundy and Gold bit.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

See, I'm down with taking Mack because of his versatility-- put him at guard right now.

Samuels and Rabach, despite taking their lumps last year, are solid performers for us. Kendall, while old, is highly servicable. Get a FA RT, plug in Mack at guard with Thomas and Rinehart as back-ups.

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 29, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

a FART?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

TDawg1

I player I liked that I saw in the Senior Bowl who--unlike Alex Mack--might be there in the 3rd round is Antione Caldwell-c/g 'Bama.

The guy played on an awesome o-line in college, and you have to belive the 'Bama alumni thing would entice C Samuels to 'train up' the guy and make him the player Derrick Dockery was until he proved 'unaffordable'.

There are a number of very good c/g types to be had in rounds 3-4, and if the Skins could somehow get an additional pick in those rounds (maybe trade away a 2nd in '10 to get a 4 and a 5 this year), they could take Okrapo-de Texas at 13, then take two young interior lineman to eventually replace Rabach and Thomas.

(This also assumes a strong rt choice is unavailiable or the FO has brought in a reasonably priced vet like Mark Taucher).

This is too much thinking for me.

Moe needs sleep.

Anybody seen my wife.......?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Moe needs sleep.

Anybody seen my wife.......?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

and cracks about some dude's wife's 'taint'.

yukkkkkkkk!!!!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm a little confused here.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 29, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

But I think I'm getting it. Finally.
!

Posted by: frediefritz | January 29, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

FART -- name of the public transit system in Locarno

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 29, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Why aren't we talking about getting a guard in FA? Like making a splash with a top-dollar guard and then going quiet on the draft front?

Methinks a new addition there, plus a few other depth guys at LB, or a Haynesworth at DT, could be intriguing, leaving the draft to fill OL and LB (and the next year's draft could be dedicated to DL and RB)

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 29, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

"TDawg, I think it's coming. We can't resist. All this other stuff is just smoke and mirrors. I thought they could do it last year but then Daniels went down and... well, you know the rest. Hopefully the Hall deal will quench the FO thirst for *SPLASH* but I doubt it. If we have to do it Please make it a lineman. Which side of the ball I don't care."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 29, 2009 11:00 PM

The continued mention (usually by JLC) about the Redskins love of "Splash" gets really old since they have NOT done anything "splashy" in recent years. This past season we signed Jason Taylor due to perceived necessity when Daniels went down....and Deangelo Hall when he was cut by Oakland and we gave up nothing for him -also that signing turned out to be a really good thing.

Two seasons ago, the only significant signing I can think of was London Fletcher....who has been a great player for us but certainly never had "splash" attached to his name.

Even going back 3 years ago, I don't consider Brandon Lloyd and Archuleta "splashy" names - although we overpaid.

So we really have to think way BACK for Redskins "splashy" signings.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 30, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Lisa,

I agree with you that the 'Splashy' signings have become more scares over the past few years since Deion, B Smith, Carrier and Jeff George but it hasn't been for a lack of trying.

They were 'reportedly' trying to give up 2 first rounders Ocho-Cinco last year but couldn't make it happen.

In '06, I would classify Receiver, The and Archibingus as splashy just by the obscene amount we overpaid them. I'd also include Andre Carter and Antwan Randle-El in that group, along with Al Saunders.

The pattern seems to be Big splash year, fail miserably, continuity year, almost a good season, big splash.

We skipped the big splash last season because we tried to make an unrefusable offer to the only team dumb enough to refuse it. We'll see where this year ends up.

And Jasno is far from the only reporter who says this front office loves the big splash. Pretty much anybody who reports on the Redskins during the offseason makes that statement at one time or another, save for Adam Schefter, who is about the only NFL reporter who doesn't copy and past from other guys work.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 30, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

that should be 'scarce', not 'scares' although most of the sining scare the shti out of me.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 30, 2009 6:11 AM | Report abuse

So we really have to think way BACK for Redskins "splashy" signings.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 30, 2009 12:31 AM |

They weren't splashy names, but they were splashy signings. They were part of a package that included Andre Carter and Antwaan Randle El. They were all brought in at the start of free agency and none of them were allowed to leave the building until they signed. Redskins essentially bid against themselves and gave far more than they worth.

These signings were decidedly the big splash of free agency, on a par with what the New York Jets did last year.

And last year the Redskins made fools of themselves by going after the hot, splashy coach, Spagnuolo, and the hot WR, Chad Johnson, and failing at both.

Anyone who thinks Vinny's stupid should recall the trade that didn't happen. We reportedly would have given up two first rounders for Chad Johnson. Chad had 53 receptions last year for 540 yards. If Vinny was stupid for offering two firsts for him, what does that make the guy who said "no thanks"? [Cork, you probably know the answer to this question.]

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 30, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

great minds, te, great minds.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 30, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the backup guys. i thought that it was pretty obvious what "splash" meant but I guess not. I'm not going to restate what was already said so again, thanks, you hit the nail on the head.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 30, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse

"I know you get senial with the age and all, but go check the archives - YOU SAID THE IT!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 1:22 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

LMAO @ RED

dude is a BUFFOON

Posted by: TheTruth11 | January 30, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

What happened with the Basketball ball coach at Georgia?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 7:43 AM | Report abuse

Anytime you sign a player to a contract that sets a record for the position he plays, that constitutes a "splash" (i.e. Archuleta).

Signing Lloyd wasn't a splash, but trading multiple draft picks for him simply implies ineptitude.

Trading multiple picks for a recently hot, multiple pro-bowl, former defensive player of the year is the very definition of "splash".

Posted by: psps23 | January 30, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Adam Archuletta was more of a Thud than a Splash.

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 30, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

a very, very, light thud....barely discernable

Posted by: BeantownGreg | January 30, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

He sucked

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 30, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Morning...beep beep

Posted by: CindyBoren | January 30, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Give me a football "diva" over a Head Coach "media darling" any day.

At least the diva will produce.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 29, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Just like T.O. and Ocho Cinco did this past season right?

Posted by: BostonWarPath | January 30, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse