Zorn calls his tenure 'too short for me, but tremendous'

Former Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn said late Monday afternoon he understood his dismissal from the club given the team's 4-12 season, but he remains confident in his abilities to be a successful coach going forward.

"My experience was just incredible," Zorn said in a telephone interview, his first since he was fired Monday morning. "It was tremendous. Too short for me, but tremendous. Learned a lot. I think I accomplished some things, but we accomplished a lot less than what was necessary, less than what was expected, so that's why I'm on the road."

In the weeks prior to his firing, Zorn remained steadfast that he was focused only on the season at hand and trying not block out the external speculation. Monday, though, he said he was not surprised he was let go in a brief, early-morning meeting with General Manager Bruce Allen.

"I don't see how I could've been surprised with all the speculation for the last five or six weeks," Zorn said.

Zorn declined to provide details on the meeting -- or, in fact, on many of the low points of a difficult season -- but said Allen was "professional" and that the meeting was "non-emotional."

"He just said, 'These are the things that we're doing, and that's how it's going to be done,'" Zorn said. "Not a lot else was said."

The extraordinary tumult during the season - being stripped of his play-calling duties, sending 12 players to the injured reserve list, having Allen replace Vinny Cerrato as the organization's top football official - led to several low points. But Zorn would not get into specifics about how he felt during those moments.

"I won't make a statement about that," Zorn said. "I think just the hardest part was just pushing through the injury list, the injured reserve list, and trying to fight through all the things that we need to adjust to. That was hard. I can't say it was disappointing, but it happened. Those are the hardest things. You're trying to field the best team, the best scheme, the best opportunity you can give yourself. It's part of what makes the game exciting.

"I could say all the distractions other than football were difficult. That's just part of the experience as well."

Zorn said he intends to coach again, and his 12-20 tenure in two years as the Redskins coach did not dampen his enthusiasm for the game.

"I think there's a process in gaining experience as a head football coach," Zorn said. "I believe that from Day One to today has been just -- I think every experience I had was an important experience and a meaningful experince. With coaches, players, administration. Every aspect -- offseason, training, planning, to the whole in-season battle. You just can't describe it. It would take a long time to describe all the exciting parts of being a head football coach."

Zorn declined to comment on whether the Redskins were an organization that was set up to win.

"That's not for me to judge," Zorn said. "I was hired to do a job, and it wasn't my job to have a philosophical reflection on what that might be. I would choose not to answer that, but I think for the right reasons, not because I'd want to say something controversial. That's not my place."

By Barry Svrluga  |  January 4, 2010; 5:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Largent: Zorn's faith, strength will be intact
Next: Bugel decision may affect timing of announcement

Comments

Zorn will be a coach again - perhaps not a head coach, but he'll find work.

Posted by: jcabana | January 4, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

CLASS ACT

Posted by: franky4fingers | January 4, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

FIRST class.

Posted by: RambleOn | January 4, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Classy guy, sorry coach. Godspeed to you in your future endeavors.

And don't spend all that money in one place!

Posted by: Predator48 | January 4, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The man would be a success in college as a head coach. I bet he could recruit with the best of them and his schemes would work there . . . the old ball coach was 12-20 too for the Skins.

Posted by: kmag1 | January 4, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

ZORN ULTIMATUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We sucked bad, but you can't help but like the guy.

Posted by: Eze167 | January 4, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Adios, Via con dios.

Now, can we move on already?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 4, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Very nice comments by Zorn...he wasn't ready for that job. But, who can blame him for taking it when offered? That was Vinny's doings.

I heard Czaban belittle Zorn on the radio today which is outrageous. This guy was a class act. Quirky, for sure, but a class guy.

Posted by: PS7900 | January 4, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn will always be remembered as a really great person and a class act. It is unfortunate that he was thrust in this no-win situation and did not have the experience and all the tools to make it a success.

I do hope the owner will have a "hands off" attitude and will let those better equipped to run a team do just that. I wish he'd address this himself; would be nice to hear it from the man.

Hope springs eternal, and the light is perhaps just a little bit brighter now!

Posted by: jwkoest | January 4, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is a class act and a role model for us all. I believe he will coach again as a head coach and that he will have great success.

I appreciate Jim Zorn - I enjoyed his interviews - win or lose - and he will always be a winner in my mind.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 4, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Good for you Zorn.... Hope you come back and kick our ass..... ONE TIME... U deserve it for all the crap you put up with..

Posted by: cocodc1 | January 4, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I think JZ is a good guy and probably will do well as a position coach or maybe in college. Class act on the whole but he's also as wiley and strategic as anyone else thus the Largent interview. If you're from DC you should be able to spot one of these a mile away. You can't say what you want so you have someone go out and say it for you which is what I think happened here. Given the shoddy way Snyder handled it all I think Zorn has every right to do it that way if he wants to but he's not the nice naive guy we all think.

If we have a capless year than does 4 pick matter as much in that we could give them a crap load of money up front in the cappless year and if they're a bust it won't cost us as much later on? Could it work that way?

Posted by: sfskin | January 4, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn deserved better treatment than he received at the hands of Dan Snyder.

Posted by: JohnRice | January 4, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

to:
Adios, Via con dios.
from someone that speaks Spanish, it is: "VALLA" con Dios, but good try! :)

Posted by: cordobes17 | January 4, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Classy Classy guy, not a good coach. It's too bad he's not the owner.

Posted by: Gweez | January 4, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

My god cry me a f_cking river for Jim Zorn, a classy guy maybe none of you know him. He was real classy knowing that if he said anything bad he wouldn't get the 2.5 mil he is owed next year.

Thats 7mil for two years of bad coaching I feel terrible for him how will he survive.

If you lose your job and can't pay your bills see if Jim Zorn gives a sh_t about you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

No love for Zorn here. Milk toast wuss. If you wanted to hire him to water your plants or to walk your dog, that might be where is he is uniquely qualified. Maybe caretaking an old person might also be another.

But as a head coach of a football team? You've got to be kidding. We've seen his type before - spineless and unmotivated men who inspire mediocrity and end up with less than that.

When he described himself as "medium" I know he wasn't fit to manage a team - to coach athletes - and wouldn't be able to lead by fear or by motivation.

I'm glad the cesspool of idiocy has left the building. Watching his press conferences inspired as much confidence in his abilities as watching the teleprompter Messiah stumble through issues of the economy and national security.

Glad you are gone, Zorn. Now go be medium on someone else's dime.

Posted by: laserwizard | January 4, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I just want to remind everyone that Shanahan has one playoff win without Elway and TD. ONE!!!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again thinking you'll get a different result. Bringing in a big name coach with loads of money hasn't worked too well for Snyder has it? With that being said, Shanahan's son appears to be the real deal as the OC and may make a huge difference next season.

Can't feel too bad for someone who's going to get a 2.4 million dollar check for not working next season.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

One name: Jim Harbaugh.

This guy is the next new difference maker in the NFL.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

omg shut up flounder, you're a tool.

Posted by: BMACattack | January 4, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, learn the difference between calling someone classy and feeling sorry for them. Dude probably turned away 10's as a player. Made millions and is famous. I don't feel sorry for him, just saying he's classy.

I think the question you should be asking is why you are so angry about people showing compassion for someone.

Posted by: Gweez | January 4, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 6:25 PM |

How many playoff wins does Belichick have without Brady that would be 1.

How many playoff wins does Jimmy Johnson have without Aikman that would be none so whats your point.

How many SB's did Elway win without Shanny that would be none.

Name me a current or one of the big 5 in the hunt this year coaches who have a better record and more SB's then Shanny without a future HOF QB?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

One can speculate on the current status of the team for a variety of reasons: inexperienced coach, overall player talent, past glory. JZ still walks away with more money than I will ever make.

Posted by: notbiased | January 4, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

One name: Jim Harbaugh.

This guy is the next new difference maker in the NFL.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Would that be JOHN HARBAUGH. The guy doesn't look much like the old BEARS "shuffle" QB. Did he get a face-lift?

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 4, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | January 4, 2010 6:28 PM |

Show compassion for people fighting in the war or people who have died, not a guy that just earned 7 mil for two years of bad coaching. You guys act like the dude has 1 month to live give me a break.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

"Watching his press conferences inspired as much confidence in his abilities as watching the teleprompter Messiah stumble through issues of the economy and national security."

“The thing that's wrong with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur”

-GWB

“It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it.”

-GWB

truly inspiring econ talk right there huh?

Posted by: divi3 | January 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Flash:

REDSKINS draft GERALD McCOY DT. Perfect, best available.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

omg shut up flounder, you're a tool.

Posted by: BMACattack | January 4, 2010 6:28 PM |

You people are crying for a millionare when thousands of americans can't afford there house and I'm the tool please.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez

A great point and the post of the day to me.

Posted by: jm220 | January 4, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, you just proved my point.

Who has Shanahan developed? Griese? Cutler and his 28 picks? Maddox?

Elway won because of TD's 2000 yards. Shanahan isn't the savior everyone thinks he is.

Is he better than Zorn? Sure, that probably goes without saying, but my point was stated above about the definition of insanity and we all can agree that Snyder though not insane, is certainly a megalomaniac and not one for introspection or the ability to truly evaluate oneself's own actions.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

VAYA con dios. Learn to spell your own language.

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | January 4, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

One name: Jim Harbaugh.

This guy is the next new difference maker in the NFL.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 6:26 PM

If you want to crown Harbaugh, then go ahead and crown his....
I like him but for every Harbaugh there is Zorn.

Shanny's Resume
Games over .500: 48
Super Bowl Wins: 2
Conference Championships: 2
Division Championships: 4

Since when is hiring a guy with a resume of success a bad thing.

Let's hope you never become a success and then become un-hirable.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Flounder I don't think anyone is defending Zorn as a coach. We all agree he sucked and he should have been shown the door. We are just simply saying that he have shown class by taking the high road in this matter. No one in their right mind would say that Dan/Vinny treatment of Zorn was something to be proud of.

Posted by: jm220 | January 4, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

rich,

Lets see what happens maybe your right time will tell.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Top notch character - he will be far better off not having to be immersed in the cesspool that is Redskins Park now.

Posted by: i155133 | January 4, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I like Zorn and believe he will be successful but he needs to stop with the damn excuses already. The Skins were no harder hit by injuries than plenty of other teams. They lost two over-the-hill linemen and two over-the-hill running backs to injuries which were certainly foreseeable given the mileage on those players. Week to week they had to do shuffling but that's to be expected in the NFL. The Eagles lost Westbrook and somehow pulled themselves together for a 10-win season and a playoff berth. The Skins had a mediocre roster with no depth, and whose healthy players were used poorly. Good luck on finding a better organization for your next gig, Z-man.

Posted by: jksesq1 | January 4, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | January 4, 2010 6:37 PM |

Your correct he was treated badly but so are coaches at every level of sports. I just can't show compassion for a guy that just made 7mil dollars to coach a game.

I can feel compassion and love seeing people show compassion when it is deserved but IMO it's not deserved here but by all means you guys continue I will leave it at that.

I just can't sh

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

If I was the Athletic Director at a small time school, I would interview Zorn as a Offensive Coordinator, or if desperate a head coach. The guy can coach up QB's and smaller schools can win being relatively 1 dimensional.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I think it was damn nice they fired Zorny at 3am last night, so he wouldn't have to set his alarm for today. Snyder's classy in the Wildwood sense of the word.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 4, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

oh my brother told me the other day that VCU is looking to start a football program, Zorn would be perfect to for a startup school like that.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

I actually think Zorn did a decent job considering what he had to work with. With all the moaning and groaning, the Redskins could be in the playoffs in 2008 and 2009 if they had a better offensive line.

The devil is in the details. It is easy to say that win/loss is everything, but it is not. Didn't the Redskins almost beat Saints and Cowboys if it weren't for poor kicking?

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

I just can't sh

Posted by: Flounder21

The rest of the world can see that DS and the Skins organization treated Zorn terribly.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Spanish is too hard

stick with German

Guten Abend or Auf Wiedersehen

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 4, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

What about females who are victims of domestic violence and kids with cancer.

Could you please lay out what is and isn't acceptable for me to feel compassion about?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Gweez | January 4, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Flouder stop looking at the money my friend. Should we look at people that make millions a year anything other than a human being?

Posted by: jm220 | January 4, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

HOUSTON - Houston Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan told FOX 26 Sports on Monday that if his father, Mike Shanahan, returns to the NFL as a head coach, he will join him.

Mike Shanahan was fired by the Denver Broncos after the 2008 season. He is expected to return to NFL as a head coach in 2010, perhaps with the Washington Redskins.

"If he does coach in the NFL, I plan on going with him," Kyle Shanahan said.
Kyle Shanahan has been with the Texans for four years, and has served as offensive coordinator the last two. He is close to Texans head coach Gary Kubiak.

"It's real hard, but it's been in the back of my mind for a long time.
"The way things went down in Denver, this might be the last opportunity to coach with my dad."
On Kyle Shanahan's watch in 2009, Texans quarterback Matt Schaub led the NFL in passing yardage and Andre Johnson led the NFL in receiving yardage. Howerver, the lure of coaching with his father will overcome his ties to the Texans.

"I can't miss this opportunity," Kyle Shanahan said. "It might be my final chance to work with my father."
"It's an emotional time. I care about the Texans, but this is the right thing to do."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 4, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 6:47 PM

Is that you Jimmy? You were a great guy, but a terrible coach.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Another approach would be to look at the Saints game or first Cowboys game and say "how can I improve on this"? as opposed to starting over, over and over again!

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Gweez | January 4, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Well all I got to say about that is that the kids deserve the cancer for giving their parents guff.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Peace

Exactly! Finally someone gets it. He was hired and set up to fail. Pathertic myopic Skins fans need to take off their burgundy glasses IMO.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Kyle Shanahan? why? just because of his last name?

Are you f'in kiddin me?

Can the organization find an offensive coordinator based on performance?

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Quick somebody hack into the flight reservation data base and see if little Shanny is booked into Dulles.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 4, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

What about females who are victims of domestic violence and kids with cancer.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Gweez | January 4, 2010 6:48 PM |

gweez,

I'm done with that conversation if you would like to cry for Zorn I'm all for it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like nostalgia is setting in -- as people are aleady longing for the good old days when this "class act" failed to get it done. He may be a nice guy -- but he's also a pathalogical loser. Time to move on already.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 4, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Whew...lemme catch on all the posts...

1) Jim Zorn seemed nice but get him outta here....the "swinging gate" play was a complete embarrassment.

2) FINALLY...some football people in charge...I liked what I heard at Allen's presser today.

3) Who cares what Steve Largent thinks!

4) I've seen enough of Campbell...keep him a year then get your franchise QB ready...enough with all the excuses... This dude threw a Hail Mary outta bounds!

5) Allen sounds like he may keep alot of these guys

6) HELL NO! Don't bring back any assistants...Clean house!!!!

7) Snyder gets a clean slate from me and his new slate started today.

8) Find a way to get CJ Spiller!

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 4, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 6:53 PM

Peace scan up a couple of posts and read Bean's.

Insert in your Peace pipe and smoke this part...

"On Kyle Shanahan's watch in 2009, Texans quarterback Matt Schaub led the NFL in passing yardage and Andre Johnson led the NFL in receiving yardage."

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Buges beeps

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 4, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Glad you are gone, Zorn. Now go be medium on someone else's dime.

Posted by: laserwizard

You and Dick Cheney would make must see TV IMO!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 6:51 PM |

Of course he was because that makes so much sense, Snyder wanted him to fail for what reason you could never give me but great point.

How would zorn failing do Snyder any good, or make him anymore money since most people think thats all he's about.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I always love the "he was set up to fail" theory... Yes, self-made millionaires often focus on undermining their top managers despite how much it will negatively affect their profit/net worth.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | January 4, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I mean this the nicest way possible but lil Shany looks nothing like big shany. Kinda looks creepy. And he is a young kid 30 now. The one thing I will give him credit for looking at his career, he has made it as a coach with out directly working for his dad.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 4, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye Jim Zorn. You are classy guy with integrity. You need to gain experience and knowledge at the coordinator level before before making the jump to being a head coach.

Posted by: neil64 | January 4, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

The point is not that "Zorn was set up to fail" as much as it is about the team management. If Zorn made all the personnel decisions then he is responsible for all the failure.

As it was, Zorn made a bunch of play-calling mistakes, but his power was limited by the team that was in place.

You can blame the driver for driving poorly, but you cannot blame him for the automobiles' performance.

As long as we blame Zorn for everything, nothing will change. We will be the kings of offseason

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

OK let's go over this again.....

Zorn was hired as HC after no one else wuold take it. He was brought in and interviewed as a coordinator. Remember? Do I need to type in large print for you? He has a collection of malecontents as players and I believe he was hamstrung by DS especially as it relates to Clinton Portis. He was allowed to do as he pleases and that helped to undermine him too. The revenue lost by hiring Zorn is insignificant as long as the stupid masses keep buying his gawdy merchandise.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Not in this decade and not with this owner.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 4, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Shanny's Resume
Games over .500: 48
Super Bowl Wins: 2
Conference Championships: 2
Division Championships: 4

Not in this decade and not with this owner.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 4, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Fair winds Zornie.

Posted by: tslats | January 4, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 6:53 PM

Peace scan up a couple of posts and read Bean's.

Insert in your Peace pipe and smoke this part...

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2010 6:57 PM

--------------

So you believe that Kyle Shanahan is the most qualified person to be the next offensive coordinator for the Redskins and the last names are just a coincidence? That is pretty naive dude!

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan may be a better coach for the Redskins than Zorn was, granted. But this guy is gonna come in and start feeding his family and friends before he is even hired? it worries me.

didn't we go through that with the 'ol ball coach (Spurrier) when only ex-Gators were hired?

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

The "boy" Shanahan can coach the offense. Look at Houston's numbers. I just don't have much respect for his father. Maybe time will change that. I'm open.

Sage Rosenfels will be starting next year. Mark it down. We'll trade a condition pick to Minnesota (probably get fleeced, what's new?) and since he's comfortable with the offense, he'll hold the reigns for a season or two till Shanny gets his own young QB to groom.

Here's an ideal situation, daddy Shanny coaches 5 more years, the Skins win 2 Superbowls and then his son takes over for 5 more and wins at least one more and the Skins are the team of the decade! YES!!!!

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

It would have been interesting to see how Zorn would have performed in a less dysfunctional situation and where the team had a GM that knew the importance of providing an adequate offensive line.

Posted by: cannontl | January 4, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I may be posting from Trembling Hills after that last paragraph. We can hope though.

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskin organization, specifically the owner and his top managers, had the class of the coach just fired, this bunch would be in the playoffs.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | January 4, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: royhobbs56 | January 4, 2010 7:22 PM |

I agree.

If Danny has to pay now for all the bad karma he has created as owner of the Redskins, he will never be an owner of a successful football team.

Posted by: cannontl | January 4, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

If I am Dan Snyder, I put a performance clause in Shany's contract. That way he will think twice before just hiring family and friends (verizon plan) and go for quality all around.

Team performs well--big money
Team sucks---little money

anything wrong with this line of thinking? can we put our money where our mouths are?

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Jim is such a class act. What a fun person he would be to have a beer with for sure. Unfortunately, he was in a little over his experience. I wish him the best. He will coach at some level again and will be successful.

Posted by: shawn093 | January 4, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | January 4, 2010 7:20 PM

----------------

Kings of the offseason and masters of re-make!!!! dream on buddy!

Just like Norv Turner, who was blamed for being too soft, Zorn will flourish in a team near you, very soon.

I am not being negative on Shanahan, don't know much about him. but I would have kept Zorn and given him the needed pieces before making a "business" decision to rebuild.

Rebuilding with Shanahan and Allen will keep Fedex field packed for another couple of years and sell more caps and jersey's until the next rebuild.

I think Snyder is a genius in making money. He is going to make money with Redskins going 40-120 over the next 10 years. He will just fool our impatient and gullible fan base on schedule!!!!

Yeah, fire Zorn, he was the cause of misery!!!!!

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I think that many of us could learn from watching how Jim Zorn carried himself this year.
I doubt that even the most experienced and talented staff would have gotten more than 7 wins out of this roster and while he certainly shoulders a fair amount of the blame form what went wrong this year, he made the most of the situtation and never complained.

Posted by: smirkhouse | January 4, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Remember, remember, Norv Turner was considered too soft to be a coach of men.

I think Zorn didn't have leadership problem. His problem was inadequate game-planning and lack of talent on the team. So his fault, some not. To blame him for being too soft is idiotic

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

laserwizard, go back to sucking your boyfriend's c0ck, you dumb f@g

Posted by: bendan2000 | January 4, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Let me be clear that I am not negative on Shanahan, I hope to God that he is the second coming of Gibbs-1.

I am just saying that we don't know yet. And to blame Zorn for the season is just plain wrong.

Hail

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 4, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

In an age where coarseness seems more and more the norm, Zorn is a gentleman. Reading this interview is more heartening than seeing the home team score on a 70 yard touchdown pass.

All the best, Mr. Zorn!

Posted by: douglaslbarber | January 4, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Strong Christian beliefs, good character guy, a Joe Gibbs kind of guy. It was a win-win though - The Redskins get their new HC and Jim gets his 2 years experience as HC, and a $2.4M severance. Not to bad a deal. Best of luck to Zorn, he'll be coaching next year.

Posted by: bfjam | January 4, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

The guy was too good for the organization, and its people, that he worked for and with, from day one.

Class act and great guy all the way. Mr. Zorn, you deserved a heck of a lot better than what you received and had to work with during your tenure.

My only criticism is that you should have fired that backstabbing, low-life Jim Grey, as soon as you found out he was interviewing for your job.

Posted by: tcmits | January 4, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn is an incredibly classy man. He always looks at the positive in a situation. His demeanor reminds me of Gibbs, very close to his faith, and very devoted to his players and beliefs. He will be a coach again, and he will be successful. This just was not the right situation for him. I wish him all the luck in the world! Good Luck Zorn man!

Posted by: SkinsSUPERBOWL | January 4, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is a class act. Best for him would be to go back to being a position coach or off to college game. Wish him well.

Zorn could not succeed here. Why? Blame goes everywhere. Vinny/Dan: Taking a flyer on a person who has never been a head coach on any level. Also, going after the marquee free agents vs. fixing known weaknesses (O-Line). Zorn: For not surrounding himself with experienced coaches on the offensive side of the ball. Stump and Sherm also were in positions they have never performed in. This was a recipe for diaster.

Off to the latest coach that going to solve everything (ala Coach Gibbs)....I'll hold judgement but I'm not optimistic.

Posted by: ATL2 | January 4, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

bye numb nutz,never come back.

Posted by: DLESMonday | January 4, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Not great pro football head coach, but I can't help but to respect and like Zprn for his class, even in the way he has been so publicly humiliated by Vinnie and the boy-King Snyder. Zorn played the best he could with the bad hand he was dealt. Godspeed Zorn. Get some rest, come back and then kick us in the seat of our pants, just like Norv Turner did. Nothing personal; it's business. Handle your business.

Posted by: meldupree | January 4, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Almost every poster here says: "JZ is a class act"! So True!
Maybe that's why the Danny and Vinnie hired him 2 years ago. When you got no class, you look to hire it and hope it rubs off!
Too bad he just wasn't ready to make the big leap to NFL head coach.
But Zorn would make a TERRIFIC Division II or III college coach!!!! (Div I is too corrupt for his pure "for the love of the game" soul). Hope he finds the opportunity. Hip Hip Hooray!

Posted by: 1stBaseCoach | January 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me what was Gibb's resume before he first coached the 'Skins?
Zorn's comments just further confirmed how someone with such class and dignity doesn't deserve the zoo and circus the Redskin organization has become. I love cocodc's comment: 'come back and kick our a@#.' As did Marty, as did Norv. Same thing for JC: come back with another team and throw for 3 fiddy and 4 TD's, stompin' on the 'Skins like 38-10. And on the last TD, point up at Snyder's box and glare.

I'm really looking forward to ridiculing the off-season ineptitude this team displays, again. The first round will be hiring Shannahan without a real comprehensive coaching search: Shanny must be desperate to cash in big to come into this mess. Snyder should have realized what a frack up he is when no real coach last year wanted the job.
Fail, not 'hail.'

Posted by: pdfordiii | January 4, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Guess I've said all I can say about the Zorn Identity Era. Now its time to come up with nicknames for the Shanahan Era.

Too bad Vinny's gone. We could have Vinny and the Shan-Wow. You know the guy from the infomercials, Vince, selling the Sham Wow and Slap Chop.

Here in Washington we'd have the Shan Wow. The Shan Wow cleans up all Vinny's messes. Holds 12 times his weight in bad draft picks! Oh they'd have to ban the sign-age at Fed Ex field again.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | January 4, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

A dumb ass, but a good man. Much like our former president.

Posted by: brian71490 | January 5, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21
=================================

He's a class act for not disparaging the owner after he was fired in the way that Lane Kiffin did when he was fired by Al Davis/Raiders.

but yes he was smart to endure the headache of being disrespected on his job by his boss for an entire season in order to get paid.

How would you like it if your boss asked someone how well your replacement would do your job while you were still sitting next to him. That's what Snyder did when he asked John Lynch about Shanahan while Zorn was standing right next to him.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | January 5, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

though the seasons were less than fun, you were always a bright spot. sorry the synder threw you into the fire after his antics scared off everyone else.

good luck with all your future endeavors, coach zorn!

Posted by: bacaje | January 5, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse