Zorn Discusses Jansen Decision

Redskins Coach Jim Zorn said the release of veteran tackle Jon Jansen was difficult, because no coach wants to tell a 10-year veteran that he is done with the only franchise for which he has played. But he said the evaluation by the coaching staff - primarily Zorn, offensive coordinator Sherman Smith and offensive line coach Joe Bugel - made it a relatively easy football decision.

"I stated, right when the offseason came about, that the [right tackle] position was going to be open," Zorn said this afternoon by phone. "We're going to see who is battling for it.

"Jon, during March, he said he was ready to fight. I think he even said publicly that he was ready to be the player he is. He was going to come back and show that he can be the kind of player he is, he felt he was. I think when he came back in mini-camp, in good shape, in OTAs, in great shape, fighting hard.

"But to me, in evaluating the situation with Joe, with Sherman, myself, just sitting down and talking about and watching, I didn't see a difference [from last season]. I'm looking for differences. 'Okay, this is different, and that's different.' I didn't necessarily see that."

Given that, Zorn said, the coaches tried to envision where Jansen - who began last year as a backup, rose to the starting job, lost it again and then regained it at the end of the season - might fit in going forward.

"What we try to do is look at all the offensive linemen," Zorn said. "You not only grade them, but you rank them. You go back and forth. What's the future look like here? The future looks more like it's the battle of Stephon Heyer, Mike Williams and Jeremy Bridges."

Thus, they tried Jansen at center and guard, where he would have served as a backup.

"I didn't feel comfortable with how I perceived him backing up all those positions," Zorn said. "I was looking for the younger guys to take a lot of snaps to improve them instead of keeping Jon in a new position for him."

Once the coaches came to a consensus, Zorn said he took his recommendation to owner Daniel Snyder. "How do you release a guy like this?" Zorn said. "And Mr. Snyder said, 'Let's do it as right as we can.' The right way to do it is talk to him face to face."

With that, Snyder sent his plane to pick up Jansen, who makes his offseason home in Michigan. Zorn and Jansen met this morning.

"Was that hard?" Zorn said. "Yep. No doubt. He's a man, and it was one person's opinion about what his future was going to be with this organization. Absolutely he was disappointed."

We'll get you a bit more about Zorn's thoughts on the three remaining right tackles - Heyer, Williams (down to 384 pounds today, Zorn said) and Bridges - in a bit.

By Barry Svrluga  |  May 29, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Your Take on Jansen's Release
Next: Zorn Evaluates Skins' Tackles

Comments

The Source Meter > All of You

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow...Just Wow....

Can Zorn be anymore brutally honest?

So, Zorn F'd up last year by not replacing Jansen with Heyer once Heyer became healthy. Just what I have been saying all offseason long... His CoachSpeak is one of the easiest to read. Honesty is not the best policy...

Big ups to the owner for doing it face to face and trying to get him to retire. Zorn better make it to the NFC Championship game atleast...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 29, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

i feel bad for the guy but he should have been gone at least a year ago and if the two idiots (cerrato and snyder) didnt give such a big extension for a 30 year old lineman he would have and it wouldnt have cost us 6 million in dead cap space. We have to have the most dead cap money in the league by far

Posted by: mudman220 | May 29, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure this was a right move. Wasn't he even worth as a back up?

Posted by: thor2 | May 29, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

wOW...informative reporting, and no swipes at the team, mgmt, and or the fans!! Thanks Barry!

Posted by: russberlin65 | May 29, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think its the right move. It's nice to have a dedicated and loyal Vet on the bench...but we can get the same leadership and talent from Bridges, Heyer, or Williams.

One key note - its another move towards "youth". Hopefully we can keep our draft picks...and use them for young fattys.

Posted by: jmicrodoc | May 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Cutting Jansen Has Net Cap Charge Of $1.726 Million To ‘Skins
Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2009, 3:17 p.m.

The good news for the Redskins is that cutting tackle Jon Jansen allowed the team to avoid $2.35 million in payments due to Jansen this year in the form of roster bonus and base salary.

The bad news is that the move unleashed a cap acceleration in excess of $4 million.

Per a league source, the acceleration resulting from bonus allocations otherwise applicable to 2010 and 2011 is $4.076 million.

Bottom line? The Redskins will take a net cap charge of $1.726 million in connection with the move.

But the $4 million acceleration costs no money, while at the same time creating the impression that the Redskins are spending up to the cap. Even if, as to Jansen, his total cap charge of more than $6 million arises from money he previously received.

Posted by: Curzon417 | May 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody find it weird that Snyder made Jansen fly from Michigan to DC and back to tell him he was being released?

Posted by: jazapfsp | May 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the time here jansen, even though I have been bashing him for a few years now, and rightfully so, for his performance and the fact he went to michigan, the effort is much appreciated...... i have come to enjoy the honest Jim Zorn, when he says JC17 is our QB I believe him, i don't believe the front office, i just hope the Skins do well this year 1st off for my own personal esteem, but it would be nice to have Zorn around here for a while, he seems legit and as Muhammad Ali once said, "My way of joking is to tell the truth. That's the funniest joke in the world."

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 29, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think it makes Danny seem very professional and courteous in flying him in. I hate myself for feeling this way.

Hopefully, he & Vinny will do something stupid & p*ss me off quickly.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Its a shame to see Jansen go, but he had a good run with the skins. The fact is he was a liability last season and most of the time in the NFL you dont get better with age. At least they cut him early enough that he can catch on with another team.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | May 29, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

really, really good, informative post.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jazapfsp

Yup. Have to think that while Jansen was on Redskins 1 -- he figured out why he was on there.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 29, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

It was painfully obvious that Jansen was washed up last year. No need to keep him around even as a backup because he was abused by every DE he faced in passing downs. I never understood why Zorn kept him at RT when Heyer was healthy (as someone else pointed out earlier). They still need to address RT (I don't think Williams is a viable option either, too much of a longshot that he can come back), but having Jansen out of the way at least gives them a chance to fill his spot with someone else. I don't care about the cap (who is there to sign at this point anyways, they will find a way to get Orakpo signed regardless). Having Jansen use one of the 53 spots is way more harmful.

Posted by: al_kohaulic | May 29, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Was the RI blog around before Jasno?

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

So if you're Jansen and Snyder says they want to send a plane for you so they can meet.... isn't it pretty obvious what is about to happen? It was nice of them to offer, but if I was Jansen I wouldve made them tell me what the deal was over the phone.

Posted by: chombie13 | May 29, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 29, 2009 3:55 PM

They may not fly him back on Redskins 1. He might be going back on Greyhound.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jazapfsp | May 29, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ya...why didn't the 3 of them fly up, give him the news, and fly home. That would have equaled 2 trips. Instead, they send the plan to pick him up, fly him here, fly him home, and then fly the plane back to DC. 2 trips is a lot cheaper than 4 but the way the FO spends money, it's no wonder!

Posted by: mburns134 | May 29, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Under what pretense could they have flown him in? "Boss needs to see you..."

What a delightful flight that must have been. Not to mention the flight home.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Might be the harbinger of another signing ... Levi?

Or is he gone?

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chombie13 | May 29, 2009 3:57 PM

And then what? "No. I'm not coming. You come here. I have my fingers in my ears. I didn't hear that."

Do you really think he had to "make them tell me what the deal was over the phone?"

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jazapfsp

If I remember correctly the Bucs did the same thing to Simeon Rice - except they did not send a plane for him - he had to fly commercial.

Posted by: Lisa_R | May 29, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

will, Jason La Canfora wrote the first-ever blog post on Redskins Insider in August 2006. Training camp. Good times.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

We've been needing to get younger on O Line for awhile now. So, if they think they can handle the cap hit, all the better.

All players retire or get released eventually. But he was a beast for the first 2/3 of his career. I remember him completely shutting down Strahan.

He'll be missed, but this was overdue.

Posted by: supadupa1 | May 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think they did the right thing by doing this face to face....harping on that, the flying back and forth, is just axe grinding.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Jansen clearly wasn't part of the solution at RT. The only reason he remained a Redskin was because the players behind him are poor and his cap hit was huge.

I'm not sure how Danny is able to take the cap hit with the cap situation.

JJ isn't starting material anymore -- very few teams will consider him for a roster spot. No one will touch him for anything beyond vet minimum.

Sad in the way a football player's career ends, but all those $$$ earned along the way keeps me a long way away from shedding tears.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 29, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Can't be any more of a risk than Mike Williams or Bridges ...

Levi Jones, Left Tackle.

Grade: 73

Comment: Jones has been troubled by injuries quite a bit of late, but when healthy and at full strength, he is an excellent athlete. He has a very good size and athletic ability combination. He has good competitiveness and toughness. He is light on his feet and quick out of his stance in both the run and passing game. Jones can set quickly to handle the top-end speed rushers at this level. He is a natural knee-bender, who can redirect with ease and is a very flexible athlete. While he has ample strength, he isn't overly powerful, but he does look to finish his blocks. He doesn't have particularly heavy hands and rarely stuns defensive ends with his punch. Jones has a lot of talent, but gets beaten more than you would expect from someone with his abilities. He needs to play at the same high level snap after snap with more consistency. His technique is generally sound, but can waver, adding to his inconsistency. He also can be overly anxious and needs to do a better job being patient. Still, when he is healthy, few linemen in the league are on par with his combination of size and agility.

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mburns134 | May 29, 2009 3:59 PM

Do you work for the government? Definitely sound like a GAO accountant. Do you think that Zorn, Snyder and Cerrato might have work to do in DC? Do you assign any value to their time? And isn't Jansen on vacation, anyway? And doesn't he need the frequent flyer miles now that he's unemployed?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

i have come to enjoy the honest Jim Zorn, when he says JC17 is our QB I believe him, i don't believe the front office, i just hope the Skins do well this year 1st off for my own personal esteem, but it would be nice to have Zorn around here for a while,.............

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 29, 2009 3:51 PM

You say Zorn he is honest. But lets look at the facts...

Since Jansen has been cut, JReid reported this was a power move by Zorn who wanted to cut JAnsen BEFORE last season. It was also said that he hasn't seen any improvement from last year. That statement right there says he shouldn't have been starting in the 1st place but had no political capital over Buges (referring to last season).

So, in essence, he was lying when he said Jon Jansen should be the one starting (during last season) in all of those post game a weekly pressers. He really wanted Heyer in there for the pass pro...

How do you reconcile the 2? HE is just bad at CoachSpeak. He would be better off lying to us all the time then being truthful some of the time. I see no consistency, though I think he will progree in year 2....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 29, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be strange not having Jansen at RT, but I think we all knew this was coming. Makes you wonder why they didn't draft OT in round 3 or 5.

He was (still is) a man.

Posted by: edvar | May 29, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Who's next up to the plate after Jasno? Chico Harlan?

Posted by: periculum | May 29, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

There was post after this one but disappeared. It was Zorny on the other potential starters.

You look at what he said about all 3 of them, and you would tend to think that he has the most trust with Heyer. He seemed shaky about MWilliams due to his 2 year lay-off. And Bridges, he claims to know nothing about....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 29, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Makes you wonder why they didn't draft OT in round 3 or 5.

Posted by: edvar | May 29, 2009 4:05 PM |

Yeah, I'm wondering. My first guess is that they didn't see anyone available who they thought was better than Jansen. After that, I don't have a second guess.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Who will be the starting RT out of the three remaining?

Sorry to see JJ go but his time was coming eventually.
Well Done, Soldier

Posted by: HolleyMvp | May 29, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Under what pretense could they have flown him in? "Boss needs to see you..."

What a delightful flight that must have been. Not to mention the flight home.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 29, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope the guy in front of him didn't fully recline his seat. That would have truly sucked.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 29, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Thanks for the info. My concern is that while he often attracted a great deal of anger, venom, & hatred for his posts, he at least inspired responses. If the posts become straight forward with decent spelling will the blog become bland & dull? The Times has informative posts & about 2 people a week respond. While I only post in spurts, I read frequently and its by far the most interesting Redskins site to spend time at.I'd hate for that to go away.

Posted by: will_ga | May 29, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Can't really fault the decision, but it sucks. Jansen was a warrior for years for us, and a dang good one for most of the time.

I'll hand it to Zorn for being a stand up guy and taking the blame. I appreciate that much, as I'm sure Jansen does too... even if that means, "I hate that M$%&* F@#!@# Zorn" right now.

Sad that we sucked the whole time Jansen was here.

Posted by: LeftwithNochoice | May 29, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

great example 4th on Zorn's lying and jansen should have been cut before last season

Posted by: retroskins14 | May 29, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

i think its so cute that numb nutz zorn thinks he cut jansen.jansen was a steady player,why they cut him now stinks,what chance does he have now to find a job

Posted by: DLESMonday | May 29, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? I know I don't. Good buy and good riddance. They are all overpaid and will only be mediocre under these moron owners and management. I only wished Jansen smashed Danny like the little bug that he is.

Posted by: scottpapex | May 29, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Yea he might have some age on him, but he is still better than what they have. At least he has played, these other guys don't have the game experience that Jansen does. Mark my words they will regret releasing him. They should have drafted for that spot if they were going to do that. That's why we don't win anymore because we cut the good guys and keep the slugs. I hope Jansen signs with a team that plays the skins this year so he can rub it in when he stomps on someones head. Trhe Redskins are looking more and more like the Orioles everyday. Sad just Sad.

Posted by: jfulwider | May 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

hey jon,
you are a classy dude and always a redskin. we sincerely honor your putting your body on the line and the blood you bleed. playing with two thumbs, keeping the right well protected for many years, your leadership. we appreciate you sincerely. we give you some (red)skin.

Posted by: Michael52 | May 30, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | May 29, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Bad attitude in the other thread aside, you're on the money here. It stinks that they couldn't fly Zorn up to Mich, but he's got just a little bit of work to do in DC. Could they have spared Buges? Maybe, but ultimately there's no good way to do this. Face to face is the right way to do it, and the offer to retire now wasn't a horrible one if you truly believe he's washed up.

I'm still of the opinion that he's a serviceable backup, and I haven't seen a definitely line on the cap hit. pcinoz's usually definitive pages suggest a -5.982 hit this year (http://www.adavidmooreorgans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm) with no hit next year, so I'm still confused there.

It looks like it's 3.188 signing bonus prorate x2 sped up to this year minus this year's base salary of 1.350, which is a 5.026 hit. Not sure where pcinoz's balance is coming from. It's less than the million roster bonus I've heard mentioned.

Posted by: WorstSeat | May 30, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

PINK SLIP EXPRESS:

Posted by: jazapfsp |

Flight Attendant: Please be sure to check around your seat for forgotten person items: cell phones, wallets, er playbooks...

Posted by: ElYeah | May 31, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

This is further evidence that we should have picked up talent for the O-line during the draft. Jansen would have made a good back-up till new talent is acquired. The line requires depth. Jansen played well in the early part of last season. A lack of depth meant that the aging line was unable to maintain that level of performance. Shoulda let him play out his contract.

Posted by: Let_it_Be | May 31, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Zorn, what the heck do you know about offensive lineman? You were below average as a QB and you are a clown for a head coach. The only thing you have a great deal of knowledge on is being a yes man. You have your nose so far up Danny Boy's rear it's a wonder you can even talk. The only thing more offensive about your football knowledge is that joke of an offense you brought in. You better enjoy running your mouth about talent because you won't make it past this season as a coach. Then you can do your talent evaluations on the High School level because that is where you belong. Every defensive coordinator had you figured out the second half of the season. Go ahead and blame your offensive lineman for your DUMB PLAY CALLING. Please just go away!

Posted by: mike1ad | May 31, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I loved what Boswell had to say about Gibbs and Zorn (when the whole Portis thing happened last season): "Gibbs could never tell a lie, and Zorn always tells the truth". There is not a better way to sum it up: The former is a true leader, the latter a bumbling joker who noone will eventually trust!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | June 1, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse